Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

If BoJo got re-elected would the 90 day suspension apply? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    WestieWestie Posts: 426
    edited June 2023

Let the mortgage market fail.

Agreed. Here's what to do.

1) Nationalise the banks. At that point, the state owns all the mortgage rights.

2) Let the state exercise those rights. At that point, all previously mortgaged properties now belong to the state.

3) Offer occupants lifelong heritable tenancies at very low rents.

4) Meanwhile, get rid of planning permission rules. This will crash the sh*t out of what remains of the "market" in privately-owned houses. (Yes, it's simple supply and demand.)

Most importantly, people get OUT OF DEBT and they are now living SECURELY and not under the boot of private landlords or moneylenders.

5) Allow remaining owner-occupiers (i.e. not landlords) the right to sell their houses to the state at what are now the crashed market prices, in return not only for those prices but also for lifelong tenancies as above. Soon they will wake up and smell the coffee.

It's time to think differently. That house prices are so high is absolutely f*cking ridiculous, and I am f*cked if I have any time whatsoever for the view that nothing can be done, which equates to the view that the banks are too big to be allowed to fail, which is closely related to the idiotic bourgeois belief that money is some kind of factor of production.

Smash the banks and see what happens.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

FF43 said:

Norman Lamont says the financial chaos is not due to Brexit. Hooray.

Actually a former member of the Bank of England Committee said on Sophie on Sunday that the financial chaos is rooted in covid and Ukraine and only in part Brexit
    For you, Lamont and Ridge's guest there are 30 other economic commentators who do blame Brexit.
    He did reference Brexit but covid and the war in Ukraine are the main drivers
    I agree. Perhaps 20% of 30% of the current cost of living increases are due to Brexit. You might say it was a mistake to vote for something with a similar effect to the worst pandemic of recent times and the first full scale war in Europe in 80 years.
    Perhaps 0.2% to 0.3% of the current cost of living increases are due to Brexit.

The pandemic is perhaps about 49.9% and the war in Ukraine is about 49.9%
    The US has Covid but not Ukraine as a material factor - inflation 4%
    The EU has Covid & Ukraine but not Brexit as a material factor - inflation 6.1%
    The UK has all - inflation 8.1%
    The US had both as material factors and had double-digit inflation recently. The Federal Reserve was a lot more aggressive than the Bank of England.

UK currently has 8.1% inflation
    Sweden currently has 9.7% inflation
    Poland currently has 13% inflation

Its almost as if there's more going on than just Brexit.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,084
    So Alito publishes an op-ed in the WSJ, of all places, denying that he had any idea that the billionaire Paul Singer was involved in a case that came before him...

Among media that mentioned Paul Singer's connection to the entity involved in the Supreme Court case was ... the Wall Street Journal's opinion page:
    https://twitter.com/lawrencehurley/status/1671293696497664000
  • Options
    148grss148grss Posts: 3,837
    edited June 2023

148grss said:

So when the economy implodes and inflation is low and growth is poor causing a recession, the poor have to shoulder the burden via austerity.

When the economy implodes and inflation is high, the Bank of England should CAUSE a recession, forcing the poor to have less purchasing power and less job security, shouldering the burden anyway.

Why do we have this economic system? Like, it isn't a force of nature, we designed things this way - why is it talked about as if these aren't political decisions to allow rich people to stay rich and poor people to get poorer? It's obscene...

Because the system, if it is working properly, is the least worst option.

By working properly, I mean that there is support to allow those at the bottom to climb up the ladder, and protections in place to stop abuses from occurring at the top.

At the moment, it is hard to say that our system in the UK is working as well as it could be…. For a myriad of reasons I would blame on successive governments of all colours.
    So the system has just never worked properly in my adult life? I am 32...
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,450

Pulpstar said:

FF43 said:

Actually a former member of the Bank of England Committee said on Sophie on Sunday that the financial chaos is rooted in covid and Ukraine and only in part Brexit
    For you, Lamont and Ridge's guest there are 30 other economic commentators who do blame Brexit.
    I agree. Perhaps 20% of 30% of the current cost of living increases are due to Brexit. You might say it was a mistake to vote for something with a similar effect to the worst pandemic of recent times and the first full scale war in Europe in 80 years.

The US had both as material factors and had double-digit inflation recently. The Federal Reserve was a lot more aggressive than the Bank of England.

Thank you HY...er I mean Barty. I love it when you talk selective statistics.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,048
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

eek said:

Cicero said:

If enough idiots vote for him and he gets another MP gig, then surely the people have spoken/democracy in action, blah, blah, blah.
    But he ain't getting back in. He's done. Dusted. Labour are going to form the next government and Johnson will be irrelevant.

I've asked the following question many times, but never get an answer. Who do PB Tories actually want to lead the party?

Not my business, of course, but (pace ydoethur) Gove would be good - not bad at combative politics but also a genuine old-fashioned politician keen to change things for the good of the country. Some of his changes have been very controversial, but at least he enriches public debate. What do Sunak, Hunt, Mordaunt, etc. actually stand for? When did they last say anything new?
    I think Gove has been around too long, and there are too many hostages to fortune in choosing him. The problem with others like Alex Chalk, for example, is that he is too public school smooth, and is unlikely to hold his seat anyway. Tobias Ellwood has also annoyed too many with his rebellious antics, but there is a portion of the party establishment that would go for him.

The puff piece for Penny Mordaunt in the Times today suggests that if she holds her own seat, she is in with a good shout. However, that is a pretty big "if".

The big deal for the post defeat Tories will be "Character", hence the interesting positioning of Mordaunt and Ellwood.
    The novelisation of Yes, Prime Minister ends with The National Education Service, and Hacker sadly realising that whatever wins he might achieve, nothing fundamental would change.

Gove's career has been about big, disruptive changes, whether at Education or Brexit. Both of those legacies are, at best, mixed, and his planning reforms have largely been blown up by Conservative Nimbies.

I do wonder if he's had his Jim Hacker moment.
    This is very selectve in its overview of his career. Both at Justice and DEFRA he made significant and lasting change in both culture and practice which have had long reaching positive effects.

He is very much a details, evidence based person. Looking at what the real problems are in departments and listening to all sides rather than just the usual lobbyists.
    Yet Justice is falling apart with cases taking years to get to court.
    My father also had Views on his record at DEFRA.

Put it this way, you think I hate him? You should have heard what Dad had to say!
    Well at least now we know where you got your irrational hatred from.
    In case you've forgotten, he went to DEFRA and earned Dad's ire long after he'd screwed over education.
    In case you have forgotten education was screwed over long before Gove ever came on the scene. A third world system run entirely for vested interest and ideology.
    The irony of that post is while it was not necessarily true at the time Gove came into power, it was profoundly true of what he left. Especially in making it even more in hock to ideology - including some quite sinister ideologies - and vested interests which are not only not conducive to but positively opposed to the interests of children's education.

There were many problems in education in 2010. The exam system was not good. The curriculum was years out of date. Appointments to senior posts were profoundly corrupt. LEAs were a shambles.

What he left was an exam system that doesn't work at all, a curriculum that was based on naked nativism, a system of appointments to senior posts so corrupt that we actually have people who are entirely unqualified in senior positions and a series of expensive and mostly badly run academy chains taking the place of LEAs working as a gravy train for rather too many sponsoring organisations and their chums.

And I would gently suggest that rather than hector me about it, and attribute my understanding of just how bad things to an 'irrational hatred' of Gove, you remember that I am an expert in the field and you are not. Perhaps therefore the reason I disdain Gove is because I understand fully just how badly he messed up and you do not?
    And yet the PISA ratings for the UK education system collapsed between 2000 and 2012 (from 7th to 24th in maths. Similar falls in Science and reading.) and only started to recover after the Tory reforms were introduced.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,024
    Foxy said:

Perhaps I am being a bit thick here, but surely any subsidy for mortgage holders simply negates the point of putting up interest rates, and sets up further rises.

Apart from being a daft way to spend tax payers money.

Yes, it’s possibly the stupidist housing policy suggestion since “help to buy”. UK house prices need to be allowed to fall, in some areas substantially. The only useful policy suggestion at this point, is to encourage longer-term fixes on mortgage rates, but that requires substantial liquidity in longer-term capital and bond markets. 10y and 20y money needs to be cheaper than 2y and 5y money.
  • Options
    MiklosvarMiklosvar Posts: 1,855
    https://www.gbnews.com/news/titanic-submarine-update-victims-alive-sos-atlantic-ocean

The victims of the Titanic submarine disaster are believed to be alive 3,800m under the Atlantic Ocean and desperately trying to raise help.

GB News understands regular SOS taps have been heard and two vehicles, which could only dive to 3000m, both imploded when they attempted to plunge lower.

GB News, must be true.
  • Options
    edited June 2023

Pulpstar said:

FF43 said:

Inflation figures in Britain are c*ck, as they probably are in those other countries too. Soon if I have the time I will look at my weekly Tesco's bills and plot them on a graph. Dunno about everyone else, but my expenditure on food and other essentials has risen at far more than 8% in the past year, and it's not because I'm eating more or differently or using more washing powder etc. etc.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

FF43 said:

Thank you HY...er I mean Barty. I love it when you talk selective statistics.
    The selective statistics make my point.

The world is complicated. Just as Sweden has 9.7% inflation currently, there is no reason to believe the UK would not have ~8.1% even in a parallel universe where we voted Remain.

We'd have still been as reliant on gas as we are for our energy etc
  • Options
    MiklosvarMiklosvar Posts: 1,855
    Westie said:

1) Nationalise the banks. At that point, the state owns all the mortgage rights.

2) Let the state exercise those rights. At that point, all previously mortgaged properties now belong to the state.

4) Meanwhile, get rid of planning permission rules. This will crash the sh*t out of what remains of the "market" in privately-owned houses. (Yes, it's simple supply and demand.)

Most importantly, people get OUT OF DEBT and they are now living SECURELY and not under the boot of private landlords or moneylenders.

5) Allow remaining owner-occupiers (i.e. not landlords) the right to sell their houses to the state at what are now the crashed market prices, in return not only for those prices but also for lifelong tenancies as above. Soon they will wake up and smell the coffee.

It's time to think differently. That house prices are so high is absolutely f*cking ridiculous, and I am f*cked if I have any time whatsoever for the view that nothing can be done, which equates to the view that the banks are too big to be allowed to fail, which is closely related to the idiotic bourgeois belief that money is some kind of factor of production.

2) is not how things work. You can only foreclose on a mortgage if the borrower defaults.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

If I appear unusually gloomy, it’s not just the abyss of doom into which Britain is plunging - it’s also the fact I am still getting ruinously annoying Daily Mail notifications. Absolutely nothing - not even erasing chrome and reinstalling - fixes it. They are like cockroaches in a nuclear winter

I thought some of you might appreciate the irony

I take it you've tried:

Settings->Privacy and Security->Site Settings
    I've tried EVERYTHING - but thanks
    Chrome on Mac?
    Follow this:
    https://osxdaily.com/2019/06/02/how-reset-chrome-browser-default-settings/
    You might want to export your bookmarks and history first.
  • Options
    Miklosvar said:

https://www.gbnews.com/news/titanic-submarine-update-victims-alive-sos-atlantic-ocean

The victims of the Titanic submarine disaster are believed to be alive 3,800m under the Atlantic Ocean and desperately trying to raise help.

GB News understands regular SOS taps have been heard and two vehicles, which could only dive to 3000m, both imploded when they attempted to plunge lower.

GB News, must be true.

https://twitter.com/Meat__Hook/status/1671424090702331906?s=20
  • Options
    Miklosvar said:

Westie said:

2) is not how things work. You can only foreclose on a mortgage if the borrower defaults.
    Legislate as necessary.
  • Options
    Westie said:

Pulpstar said:

FF43 said:

Inflation figures in Britain are c*ck, as they probably are in those other countries too. Soon if I have the time I will look at my weekly Tesco's bills and plot them on a graph. Dunno about everyone else, but my expenditure on food and other essentials has risen at far more than 8% in the past year, and it's not because I'm eating more or differently or using more washing powder etc. etc.
    I agree that inflation figures are nonsense, but its not just in the UK and not because of food.

Food and other essentials are going up by more than 8% and that's reported in the official statistics and weighted appropriately.

The problem with inflation isn't what's being included, its what's not being included. In the 1970s the number one cost in a household's budget was food. In 2020s the number one cost in a household's budget is housing.

But the latter is not included properly in inflation figures.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,680
    Nigelb said:

Miklosvar said:

Nigelb said:

CatMan said:

‘How Brexit killed the ex-pat dream’
    https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/how-brexit-killed-the-expat-dream/

FFS - what did these people think would happen?

Brexit - driving up inflation, making people poorer, not delivering anything that it promised except for the bastards who are happy to see us all poorer so they can profit.

It's tempting to laugh at people like that, but I think it shows just how poor political discourse was during the referendum. I keep saying this, but the remain side needed to present Freedom of Movement as a *Positive* to Brits, not something that had to be "endured".
    It is fairly remarkable that Cameron, who wasn't the worst of communicators, failed to get people like that onside.

Similarly, I often end up listening to Farming Today when I wake up early. Farmers who appear complaining about Brexit, having voted for it, seems an almost daily occurrence.
    Best bit is Tony n Suze from Manchester

“We can only stay here for four days, in order to have a longer stay this summer. These new post-Brexit travel rules are driving us mad and killing our dolce vita. We’re second-home owners, we should be treated differently from other Brit tourists. This cottage has cost us a fortune to restyle. We thought we were going to spend our future life here,” says Tony, who used to work at a software company...."
    That's not a parody ?
    Probably not. It is startling how many people honestly believed that freedom of movement was only about Johnny Foreigner coming here to pick carrots and strawberries and not about our freedom to travel to and live/work in Foreignland.

This compounded with massive net migration figures, overseen by a government whose simple policy is to have more and fewer migrants simultaneously, cannot assist the cause of all those people who thought it a good idea to leave the EU without joining EEA/EFTA.

• Options
    CorrectHorseBatCorrectHorseBat Posts: 1,761
    Westie said:

Best post I have read here in a long time. I especially liked the bit about getting rid of planning. It would also have the secondary effect of improving infrastructure including roads, 4G/5G etc
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,069
    Westie said:

Pulpstar said:

FF43 said:

You're not the only one. Moneysavingexpert and Which (as I commented yesterday) are saying exactly the same. And as time goes on, that inflation measure moves on,l excluding the previous inflation already oven-baked in, as Mr J Might say.

https://www.which.co.uk/news/article/cost-of-cooking-a-family-meal-soars-by-up-to-27-as-price-of-some-ingredients-doubles-aA3K74w0eh7b
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,725
    Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

If I appear unusually gloomy, it’s not just the abyss of doom into which Britain is plunging - it’s also the fact I am still getting ruinously annoying Daily Mail notifications. Absolutely nothing - not even erasing chrome and reinstalling - fixes it. They are like cockroaches in a nuclear winter

I take it you've tried:

Chrome on Mac?
    Follow this:
    I have a Microsoft Surface Pro
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,126
    edited June 2023
    CatMan said:

Brexit - driving up inflation, making people poorer, not delivering anything that it promised except for the bastards who are happy to see us all poorer so they can profit.

It's tempting to laugh at people like that, but I think it shows just how poor political discourse was during the referendum. I keep saying this, but the remain side needed to present Freedom of Movement as a *Positive* to Brits, not something that had to be "endured".
    Lots of people vote for things/parties they don't understand. For example throughout the decades a high percentage of Labour voters have been in favour of reducing immigration, and obviously must not have realised that Labour has been in favour of more immigration since the 1960s.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

eek said:

Cicero said:

If enough idiots vote for him and he gets another MP gig, then surely the people have spoken/democracy in action, blah, blah, blah.
    But he ain't getting back in. He's done. Dusted. Labour are going to form the next government and Johnson will be irrelevant.

I've asked the following question many times, but never get an answer. Who do PB Tories actually want to lead the party?

Not my business, of course, but (pace ydoethur) Gove would be good - not bad at combative politics but also a genuine old-fashioned politician keen to change things for the good of the country. Some of his changes have been very controversial, but at least he enriches public debate. What do Sunak, Hunt, Mordaunt, etc. actually stand for? When did they last say anything new?
    I think Gove has been around too long, and there are too many hostages to fortune in choosing him. The problem with others like Alex Chalk, for example, is that he is too public school smooth, and is unlikely to hold his seat anyway. Tobias Ellwood has also annoyed too many with his rebellious antics, but there is a portion of the party establishment that would go for him.

The puff piece for Penny Mordaunt in the Times today suggests that if she holds her own seat, she is in with a good shout. However, that is a pretty big "if".

The big deal for the post defeat Tories will be "Character", hence the interesting positioning of Mordaunt and Ellwood.
    The novelisation of Yes, Prime Minister ends with The National Education Service, and Hacker sadly realising that whatever wins he might achieve, nothing fundamental would change.

Gove's career has been about big, disruptive changes, whether at Education or Brexit. Both of those legacies are, at best, mixed, and his planning reforms have largely been blown up by Conservative Nimbies.

This is very selectve in its overview of his career. Both at Justice and DEFRA he made significant and lasting change in both culture and practice which have had long reaching positive effects.

He is very much a details, evidence based person. Looking at what the real problems are in departments and listening to all sides rather than just the usual lobbyists.

Put it this way, you think I hate him? You should have heard what Dad had to say!
    In case you've forgotten, he went to DEFRA and earned Dad's ire long after he'd screwed over education.
    In case you have forgotten education was screwed over long before Gove ever came on the scene. A third world system run entirely for vested interest and ideology.
    The irony of that post is while it was not necessarily true at the time Gove came into power, it was profoundly true of what he left. Especially in making it even more in hock to ideology - including some quite sinister ideologies - and vested interests which are not only not conducive to but positively opposed to the interests of children's education.

There were many problems in education in 2010. The exam system was not good. The curriculum was years out of date. Appointments to senior posts were profoundly corrupt. LEAs were a shambles.

What he left was an exam system that doesn't work at all, a curriculum that was based on naked nativism, a system of appointments to senior posts so corrupt that we actually have people who are entirely unqualified in senior positions and a series of expensive and mostly badly run academy chains taking the place of LEAs working as a gravy train for rather too many sponsoring organisations and their chums.

And I would gently suggest that rather than hector me about it, and attribute my understanding of just how bad things to an 'irrational hatred' of Gove, you remember that I am an expert in the field and you are not. Perhaps therefore the reason I disdain Gove is because I understand fully just how badly he messed up and you do not?
    And yet the PISA ratings for the UK education system collapsed between 2000 and 2012 (from 7th to 24th in maths. Similar falls in Science and reading.) and only started to recover after the Tory reforms were introduced.
    On the other hand, there is a time lag in those ratings, surely? Not familiar with the details.

(But I also wonder about lead in petrol.)
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

148grss said:

148grss said:

So when the economy implodes and inflation is low and growth is poor causing a recession, the poor have to shoulder the burden via austerity.

When the economy implodes and inflation is high, the Bank of England should CAUSE a recession, forcing the poor to have less purchasing power and less job security, shouldering the burden anyway.

Why do we have this economic system? Like, it isn't a force of nature, we designed things this way - why is it talked about as if these aren't political decisions to allow rich people to stay rich and poor people to get poorer? It's obscene...

By working properly, I mean that there is support to allow those at the bottom to climb up the ladder, and protections in place to stop abuses from occurring at the top.

At the moment, it is hard to say that our system in the UK is working as well as it could be…. For a myriad of reasons I would blame on successive governments of all colours.
    Correct. Most people under 40 don’t know anything except interest rates being effectively zero.
    So can we say a system works if it doesn't work for a generation? @numbertwelve Your definition of the system working seems, in my mind, to be social democracy - and the last person who advocated that was called a literal Stalinist for years. Like, that is not Thatcherism or Reaganism, and that is the current system we live under - neoliberalism won.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,093
    edited June 2023
    Carnyx said:

Westie said:

Pulpstar said:

FF43 said:

You're not the only one. Moneysavingexpert and Which (as I commented yesterday) are saying exactly the same. And as time goes on, that inflation measure moves on,l excluding the previous inflation already oven-baked in, as Mr J Might say.

https://www.which.co.uk/news/article/cost-of-cooking-a-family-meal-soars-by-up-to-27-as-price-of-some-ingredients-doubles-aA3K74w0eh7b
    Food inflation is running at 18%+...

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/inflationandpriceindices/articles/costoflivinginsights/food
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,266
    Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

I take it you've tried:

Chrome on Mac?
    Follow this:
    There is a post on Reddit (which can't be accessed right now due to some dispute) that says the Mail popup is not really Chrome, it's some kind of fake
  • Options
    148grss said:

Sandpit said:

148grss said:

148grss said:

Correct. Most people under 40 don’t know anything except interest rates being effectively zero.
    So can we say a system works if it doesn't work for a generation? @numbertwelve Your definition of the system working seems, in my mind, to be social democracy - and the last person who advocated that was called a literal Stalinist for years. Like, that is not Thatcherism or Reaganism, and that is the current system we live under - neoliberalism won.
    The system worked under Thatcher and Major. It broke under Blair and Brown, before interest rates fell down to zero.

We had a stable population, even sometimes declining population for decades with planning restrictions and the system was working.

Then population growth exploded at the turn of the century but planning restrictions were kept, so supply and demand became imbalanced and we've never had a working system since.

I personally am entirely comfortable with free movement and high migration - but it needs to be accompanied with free planning and high construction too. If people were able to come here without a visa, they should have been able to get a house built without planning too.

Now we have a shortfall of about 3 million houses as we have 99% occupancy rate in our houses when a stable rate and European average is about 90% occupancy. Even if net migration dropped to zero overnight, which it won't, we'd still need those 3 million houses building. We need more than that, to accompany continuing population growth.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,680

Westie said:

Pulpstar said:

FF43 said:

I agree that inflation figures are nonsense, but its not just in the UK and not because of food.

Food and other essentials are going up by more than 8% and that's reported in the official statistics and weighted appropriately.

The problem with inflation isn't what's being included, its what's not being included. In the 1970s the number one cost in a household's budget was food. In 2020s the number one cost in a household's budget is housing.

But the latter is not included properly in inflation figures.
    Three things have been obvious for years to most ordinary non economists, and attention to them 10/20 years ago would have changed things for the better.

1) That QE is simply printing money by another name and will therefore be inflationary

2) That having an inflation target of 2% but not including the price of houses/housing in the index will (aided by QE) cause an asset bubble.

3) Virtually zero interest rates distorts markets and will lead to intractable problems of asset price rises and encourage bad lending and borrowing.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

I take it you've tried:

Chrome on Mac?
    Follow this:
    There is a post on Reddit (which can't be accessed right now due to some dispute) that says the Mail popup is not really Chrome, it's some kind of fake
    It'll be absolute positioning of a CSS modal, styled to look like a Chrome notification. Get an ad blocker and it will go away
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

I take it you've tried:

Chrome on Mac?
    Follow this:
    I may have "solved" it - for now - by putting my computer on permanent Do Not Disturb, which means I don't get ANY notifications about anything. Not ideal, but it's better than learning about the Titanic sub rescue EVERY SIXTY FIVE SECONDS
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

I take it you've tried:

Chrome on Mac?
    Follow this:
    Okay, then try this one:
    https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/3296214?hl=en

Next, try adding a new user in Chrome, and see if the new user has the same issue.

If not, then add a new user in Windows, that will definitely, 100% not have the same issue, unless the DM website itself has changed.

Are these notifications on the Windows notifications bar, to the right hand side of the screen, or are they in the browser itself?
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Not surprised.

"Study drugs make healthy people worse at problem solving, not better
    Users try harder but are less competent"

https://www.economist.com/science-and-technology/2023/06/20/study-drugs-make-healthy-people-worse-at-problem-solving-not-better

Paywalled but my subjective, sorry, my lived experience of taking prescription modafinil is that while it does aid concentration, it narrows focus which may or may not be a good thing. If you like, it keeps you awake but does not stop you getting tired.
    You can read a few articles every so often by registering without paying.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

I take it you've tried:

Chrome on Mac?
    Follow this:
    I may have "solved" it - for now - by putting my computer on permanent Do Not Disturb, which means I don't get ANY notifications about anything. Not ideal, but it's better than learning about the Titanic sub rescue EVERY SIXTY FIVE SECONDS
    And what is the nipple rate in Hertz, I wonder?
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,547
    Westie said:

Pulpstar said:

FF43 said:

Well, yes, but food inflation (which is very high) is only part of overall inflation.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,797
    edited June 2023
    Westie said:

Pulpstar said:

FF43 said:

Food inflation is only a part of overall inflation. Of course inflation is different in different parts of the economy, it always is. Headline inflation doesn't necessarily match your personal experience, nor mine, and furthermore yours and mine might not match each other.
    Even two shoppers in the same Tesco might experience different rates, depending on what they buy.

Save yourself the effort of going through your receipts. The effect is well known already.
  • Options
    Muesli said:

CatMan said:

Are we allowed to use the word 'c**t' on this forum?
    No, we are not.
    It is a banning offence.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    edited June 2023

Miklosvar said:

SKS monstering Sunak.

Nothing about shirking the bojo vote.

Starmer got monstered by a very impressive Sunak. Not mentioning Sunak's vote failure was a massive error, same goes for Flynn, although he did manage to bring in Brexit as the problem. Rishi handled both very well.

The mortgage issue was batted back as Labour's failure.

Possibly Starmer's worst performance against Sunak and a much improved Sunak. Not least because Starmer was rubbish.
    Hmm, didn't you say much the same last week? I didn't listen to PMQs so don't have a view, but I don't get the impression that you've been an SKS fan at any time.
    Starmer asked the same question six times and each time got a non-answer from Sunak. He didn't mention Sunak's no vote. He didn't mention Sunak's tacit contempt of parliament by not voting in favour of the committee report. He didn't mention inflation or the boats failures. He was useless and he had stacks of material to bury Sunak under. He was unacceptably poor.
    For an alternative view, see "PMQ snap verdict" in https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2023/jun/21/rishi-sunak-inflation-pmqs-keir-starmer-covid-inquiry-jeremy-hunt-boris-johnson-uk-politics-live?filterKeyEvents=false&page=with:block-6492e28a8f084ea43c43d39d#block-6492e28a8f084ea43c43d39d

- the blog is by no means routinely supportive of Starmer, but this time says

"It was obvious that Keir Starmer won those exchanges when Rishi Sunak started his final answer with the words: “No amount of personal attacks and petty point-scoring will disguise the fact that [Starmer] does not have a plan for this country.” Complaining about “personal attacks and petty point-scoring” at PMQs is a serious category error; it is a bit like playing football and then moaning about your opponents only being interested in kicking the ball into the back of your net.

PMQs is an environment where leaders have to combine clear, broad-brush strategic messaging with sly digs that undermine the standing and authority of their rivals. It is a hard trick to pull off; too high-minded, and you look naive; too personal, and you just look nasty. Starmer gets the balance just about right, and today his jibes against Sunak were considerably more effective than anything coming in the opposite direction." (extract - the blog has considerably more).

I think the Committee report and who voted on it is a Westminster issue and unlikely to resonate much with the public. By contrast, he does mention mortgage inflation at some length, with a telling example.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,162
    Westie said:

Mortgage rights are only worth anything in default, not if payments remain current
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

eek said:

Cicero said:

In all the last, abject 13 years of Tory government, one of the few areas of competence - in my personal experience as a parent (others may differ) - has been education. Far from perfect - what is? - but definite improvements

The popularity of UK universities abroad is testament to that, even if it is a kind of Ponzi scheme

I am grasping at straws when I try and think of any other notable improvements 2010-2023. The Liz Line in infrastructure, I guess. You could argue Cameron lanced the boil of Scottish independence by calling and winning the indyref but then the desire for indy only grew after that, the UK just got lucky with the recent inplosion of the SNP

After that..... uhm..... anything else? Can anyone name anything else the Tories have done which is definitely good?

(Let's ignore Brexit, no one is going to change their minds on that, it is theological)
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Muesli said:

CatMan said:

No, we are not.
    It is a banning offence.
    It seems to be unevenly enforced
  • Options

148grss said:

Sandpit said:

148grss said:

148grss said:

The system worked under Thatcher and Major. It broke under Blair and Brown, before interest rates fell down to zero.

We had a stable population, even sometimes declining population for decades with planning restrictions and the system was working.

Then population growth exploded at the turn of the century but planning restrictions were kept, so supply and demand became imbalanced and we've never had a working system since.

I personally am entirely comfortable with free movement and high migration - but it needs to be accompanied with free planning and high construction too. If people were able to come here without a visa, they should have been able to get a house built without planning too.

Now we have a shortfall of about 3 million houses as we have 99% occupancy rate in our houses when a stable rate and European average is about 90% occupancy. Even if net migration dropped to zero overnight, which it won't, we'd still need those 3 million houses building. We need more than that, to accompany continuing population growth.
    I'm not just talking about housing, although that is a big factor. I'm talking about how the whole economy is organised to extract value from workers to give it to the already wealthy, and how any shock to the economy has a response that buggers the poor and insulates the rich. Austerity cut the social safety net to the bone, but the argument was that the Great Recession was terrible and balancing the budget will provide stability in the future. 0% interest rates were not used at that time to do Keynesianism, because neoliberal economics argues Keynesianism is bad, actually. Now that interest rates are going up, it is still the poor and workers who are most impacted, and now the argument is a recession is NECESSARY to fix the economy, and the Labour party are essentially saying they need MORE austerity. So what is the average person to look at with hope? What policies are being proposed that actually help people? What is an economy for if not to organise resources and labour towards the needs of the greater populace; which we are not doing?
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Nigelb said:

Muesli said:

CatMan said:

No, we are not.
    It is a banning offence.
    To be fair the mods don't read every post, but it seems to be consistently enforced when they do see it.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Farooq said:

Westie said:

Pulpstar said:

FF43 said:

Food inflation is only a part of overall inflation. Of course inflation is different in different parts of the economy, it always is. Headline inflation doesn't necessarily match your personal experience, nor mine, and furthermore yours and mine might not match each other.
    Even two shoppers in the same Tesco might experience different rates, depending on what they buy.

Save yourself the effort of going through your receipts. The effect is well known already.
    There’s a suggestion that the highest inflation in supermarkets, has been of the cheapest own-brand “value” lines. If you buy mostly those, you may see 20-30% inflation in your weekly shopping bill.
  • Options
    Oh god, the Mail is back
  • Options
    Leon said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

eek said:

Cicero said:

In all the last, abject 13 years of Tory government, one of the few areas of competence - in my personal experience as a parent (others may differ) - has been education. Far from perfect - what is? - but definite improvements

The popularity of UK universities abroad is testament to that, even if it is a kind of Ponzi scheme

I am grasping at straws when I try and think of any other notable improvements 2010-2023. The Liz Line in infrastructure, I guess. You could argue Cameron lanced the boil of Scottish independence by calling and winning the indyref but then the desire for indy only grew after that, the UK just got lucky with the recent inplosion of the SNP

After that..... uhm..... anything else? Can anyone name anything else the Tories have done which is definitely good?

(Let's ignore Brexit, no one is going to change their minds on that, it is theological)
    2010-23? Equal marriage in England and Wales.
  • Options
    I may have to buy a new computer
  • Options
    SirNorfolkPassmoreSirNorfolkPassmore Posts: 6,374
    edited June 2023
    Nigelb said:

Muesli said:

CatMan said:

No, we are not.
    It is a banning offence.
    I think you're putting the c**t before the horse by assuming what the intended word was. Or, if it's a young male horse, the c**t before the c**t.
  • Options

Farooq said:

Nigelb said:

Muesli said:

CatMan said:

No, we are not.
    It is a banning offence.
    To be fair the mods don't read every post, but it seems to be consistently enforced when they do see it.
    That’s on the automatic list - c-word uncensored puts you in the bin, until a moderator reviews your account. OGH doesn’t like it.

There’s also some generic Vanilla rules that run on the background. A couple of weeks ago I had a post deleted (presumably by Vanilla rather than a human PB moderator), that referenced a famously unlawful number from 2007.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Farooq said:

Westie said:

Pulpstar said:

FF43 said:

There’s a suggestion that the highest inflation in supermarkets, has been of the cheapest own-brand “value” lines. If you buy mostly those, you may see 20-30% inflation in your weekly shopping bill.
    That would make sense if, as I suspect, the margins on those products are smaller than others. A profitable product can afford to absorb some of the production cost rises. A break-even or loss-leader is vulnerable.
  • Options
    148grss said:

148grss said:

Sandpit said:

148grss said:

148grss said:

I'm not just talking about housing, although that is a big factor. I'm talking about how the whole economy is organised to extract value from workers to give it to the already wealthy, and how any shock to the economy has a response that buggers the poor and insulates the rich. Austerity cut the social safety net to the bone, but the argument was that the Great Recession was terrible and balancing the budget will provide stability in the future. 0% interest rates were not used at that time to do Keynesianism, because neoliberal economics argues Keynesianism is bad, actually. Now that interest rates are going up, it is still the poor and workers who are most impacted, and now the argument is a recession is NECESSARY to fix the economy, and the Labour party are essentially saying they need MORE austerity. So what is the average person to look at with hope? What policies are being proposed that actually help people? What is an economy for if not to organise resources and labour towards the needs of the greater populace; which we are not doing?
    In which case I don't agree with your premise, the economy has not always been organised to extract value from workers to give it to the already wealthy. Indeed many wealthy people have lost a fortune in shocks, and so long as the state doesn't intervene to prevent businesses like Lehman's from collapsing they always will.

Working people don't get better off by living a life on benefits, that's a poverty trap that means your aspiration is only to keep what you get from welfare, while the rich can benefit from growth.

Working people get better off by ensuring wages are growing and that people keep more of their wages. The Conservatives used to believe in this, under people like Thatcher, which is why I supported them. They don't anymore under Rishi it seems, which is why I don't support them anymore.

If you want policies to help people, then work out the impediments stopping people from keeping more of their wages and look for ways to remove them. Especially when those working for a living can be paying 70%+ of their marginal wages in real taxation.
  • Options
    Pete is our resident Tory :smiley:
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

eek said:

Cicero said:

The Tories didn't do that. More Tories voted against it than for it.
    Cameron deserves credit, as do all the MPs of whichever party who voted for it. But if you want to judge the Conservative Party as a whole on it, they net opposed it, so they can fuck off on that front.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Bloody computer illiterates, messing up the internet for the rest of us!

PM me a screen shot of the problematic “notification”.
  • Options
    MuesliMuesli Posts: 92
    edited June 2023

Farooq said:

Nigelb said:

Muesli said:

CatMan said:

No, we are not.
    It is a banning offence.
    Is there a list of forum rules anywhere? I don't want to be banned and I can't go back and edit the offending post now to remove that word.

ETA: I do realise the irony here in acting rashly without due awareness of the potential consequences for me of my own actions.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

I take it you've tried:

Chrome on Mac?
    Follow this:
    Okay, then try this one:

Next, try adding a new user in Chrome, and see if the new user has the same issue.

If not, then add a new user in Windows, that will definitely, 100% not have the same issue, unless the DM website itself has changed.

Are these notifications on the Windows notifications bar, to the right hand side of the screen, or are they in the browser itself?
    It's mad. It seems to have largely stopped while I am browsing online (I think) but now these pop up notifications (bottom right of screen) are appearing when I am NOT browsing, eg if I am using Word. So it has infiltratd my actual computer/OS
  • Options
    Muesli said:

Farooq said:

Nigelb said:

Muesli said:

CatMan said:

No, we are not.
    It is a banning offence.
    Is there a list of forum rules anywhere? I don't want to be banned and I can't go back and edit the offending post now to remove that word.
    1. Don't say cnut
    2. Radiohead are awesome
    3. Pineapple on pizza is fantas[BANNED - Moderator]
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

eek said:

Cicero said:

Cameron deserves credit, as do all the MPs of whichever party who voted for it. But if you want to judge the Conservative Party as a whole on it, they net opposed it, so they can fuck off on that front.
    Ah, thanks. And look at the C of E. Okay, scratch equal marriage for gays. What else?
  • Options
    148grss said:

148grss said:

Sandpit said:

148grss said:

148grss said:

In that case, the best thing that’s happened to British workers in a generation has been the EU exit - as there’s now employers fighting over employees, and not the other way around.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,022
    Muesli said:

Farooq said:

Nigelb said:

Muesli said:

CatMan said:

No, we are not.
    It is a banning offence.
    It was nice knowing you.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

I take it you've tried:

Chrome on Mac?
    Follow this:
    Okay, then try this one:

It's mad. It seems to have largely stopped while I am browsing online (I think) but now these pop up notifications (bottom right of screen) are appearing when I am NOT browsing, eg if I am using Word. So it has infiltratd my actual computer/OS
    wwe.malwarebytes.com.
    Recommended for all Windows users anyway.

It sounds like Windows notification bar messages. Give me a few minutes and I’ll get you instructions on stopping them.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

eek said:

Cicero said:

Ah, thanks. And look at the C of E. Okay, scratch equal marriage for gays. What else?
    I could come up with a list of a few things but I have no motivation to sing their praises, none at all. I just want them in the bin now.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,208

I am not sure which flip flop this day is for Keir Starmer

Yesterday I will stop resignation honours lists

Today labour will appoint over 100 peers as we do not have the expertise in government on our own benches

Those two statements aren't contradictory.

If you look at the reason it is reasonable, Labour only has 174 peers, making up just 22% of the total.

Crossbenchers have 183 peers and the Tories have 263 peers.

This is to stop the Tories denying the will of the people after the next election.

You should spend some time reading up on the People's Budget of 1909/10.
    I didn't say it was unreasonable it just looks like flip flopping again
    It only looks like flip flopping if you’re a partisan.
    It is still bollocks and shows that it will just be another bunch of grifters looking to line their own pockets with legions of sockpuppets in plum public jobs.
  • Options
    I highly doubt Leon is even having problems, this is just the latest attention-seeking effort. Ignore.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,541
    Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

I take it you've tried:

Chrome on Mac?
    Follow this:
    Okay, then try this one:

wwe.malwarebytes.com.
    Recommended for all Windows users anyway.

It sounds like Windows notification bar messages. Give me a few minutes and I’ll get you instructions on stopping them.
    wwe? Is that the subdomain for when you're really wrestling with malware? :wink:
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,062
    Farooq said:

Muesli said:

Farooq said:

Nigelb said:

Muesli said:

CatMan said:

No, we are not.
    It is a banning offence.
    1. Don't say cnut
    2. Radiohead are awesome
    4. If you are a genuine Britisher who actually, weirdly, is anti-vax and bigoted don’t make your first day of posting a Saturday morning and remember to use punctuation.
  • Options
    Westie said:

What utter bollocks. Not even economics for Dummies of Dummies.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

148grss said:

148grss said:

Sandpit said:

148grss said:

148grss said:

In that case, the best thing that’s happened to British workers in a generation has been the EU exit - as there’s now employers fighting over employees, and not the other way around.
    Depends I think it's just moved things round a bit.

It used to be that those just above minimum wage were impacted because of Eastern Europeans coming here to get work.

Now it's people in skilled jobs not getting payrises because there are plenty of overseas people willing to take a job that pays £45,000 say for £40,000..
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

148grss said:

148grss said:

Sandpit said:

148grss said:

148grss said:

Delusion or heatstroke from the sand dunes
  • Options
    Leon said:

Oh god, the Mail is back

Have you tried thinking really hard and considering the wider context? Perhaps a bit more shagging will get rid of it.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    Leon said:

Oh god, the Mail is back

Install the AdBlock Pro extension and put the DM into the blocklist
  • Options
    Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

I take it you've tried:

Chrome on Mac?
    Follow this:
    Okay, then try this one:

Would it be a bad thing to get rid of all notifications?
  • Options
    Westie said:

House prices are set at the margins - with prices based on the maximum a person can borrow. Which is why up North you see 2 up 2 down terrance houses for £100.000+ because BTL landlords paid stupid money for them..
  • Options
    Leon said:

Oh god, the Mail is back

can you not use adblocker ultimate or such like
  • Options

Leon said:

Oh god, the Mail is back

Good advice even for those who aren't getting notifications.
  • Options

I highly doubt Leon is even having problems, this is just the latest attention-seeking effort. Ignore.

If I seek or need attention, you'll certainly know about it. Because I will come up with something a tad more exciting than "the Daily Mail is sending me notifications"

Even as I type this, another has appeared. It's like catching smallpox and watching the lesions grow. AAAAARGH
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

I take it you've tried:

Chrome on Mac?
    Follow this:
    Okay, then try this one:

Would it be a bad thing to get rid of all notifications?
    I've tried that, doesn't work
  • Options

Leon said:

Oh god, the Mail is back

Thanks, I will try that
  • Options

Got to say I don't think I would wise Leon's current problems on my worst enemy...
  • Options

Westie said:

Best post I have read here in a long time. I especially liked the bit about getting rid of planning. It would also have the secondary effect of improving infrastructure including roads, 4G/5G etc
    No surprise a nutter like you would think it was good
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,079
    I bet he doesn't even know the state of the meta for playing ADC Bot Lane in LoL.

• Options
    148grss said:

148grss said:

You whingers just want something for nothing. Back when men were men we had to do it all ourselves , no help from anyone and just hard graft.
    21st century has produced nothing but lazy whining whingers.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Bloody computer illiterates, messing up the internet for the rest of us!

PM me a screen shot of the problematic “notification”.
    Wilko, when I next get one. And thankyou
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Westie said:

Thanks Malc, keep well Sir
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Westie said:

Thanks Malc, keep well Sir
    I try my best
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Muesli said:

Farooq said:

Nigelb said:

Muesli said:

CatMan said:

No, we are not.
    It is a banning offence.
    1. Don't say cnut
    2. Radiohead are awesome
    Radiohead just are.
    To pronounce them awesome would be to claim the right to judge them; they exist in a realm beyond judgment.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,661
    We seem to be pretending that the BOE are independent when they aren't - they are de facto answerable to the Chancellor and if he loses confidence in the Governor, that is curtains, regardless of contract length. The Bank needs to end its policy of selling off Government bonds at a loss, and instead wait till they mature - this is effectively being subsidised by the Treasury and it can be confirmed privately that this will no longer be available. They also need to stop their Don Quixote act tilting at inflation using interest rate rises, when any halfwit can see that the inflation isn't being caused by an excess in disposable income.

The fact is that Hunt (and Sunak) are actually aligned with the Bank's maniacal approach, and are presiding over a developing economic crisis. Hunt shouldn't be in a job, and frankly he should resign from public life. Sunak should go too, but it's the Chancellor's immediate responsibility to resign if they fail this badly.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

I take it you've tried:

Chrome on Mac?
    Follow this:
    Okay, then try this one:

I think this is what you’re seeing.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/change-notification-settings-in-windows-8942c744-6198-fe56-4639-34320cf9444e
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,634
    Muesli said:

Farooq said:

Nigelb said:

Muesli said:

CatMan said:

No, we are not.
    It is a banning offence.

ETA: I do realise the irony here in acting rashly without due awareness of the potential consequences for me of my own actions.
    I wouldn't worry. I believe there is an alternative punishment to banning - namely, being made to eat three bowlfuls of your username.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,682
    FF43 said:

Miklosvar said:

SKS monstering Sunak.

Starmer got monstered by a very impressive Sunak. Not mentioning Sunak's vote failure was a massive error, same goes for Flynn, although he did manage to bring in Brexit as the problem. Rishi handled both very well.

Possibly Starmer's worst performance against Sunak and a much improved Sunak. Not least because Starmer was rubbish.
    Starmer links chaotic Conservative government to people being poorer. Can Sunak convince people that correlation doesn't imply causation?

I think very clever from SKS.
    What if he could? It is no good for Rishi if he tells people that yes, my government is chaotic, and yes, you are poorer, but the good news is these are not connected.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

148grss said:

148grss said:

Sandpit said:

148grss said:

148grss said:

Delusion or heatstroke from the sand dunes
    You think it’s better to have an unlimited number of minimum-wage immigrant workers, willing to live in ‘bed space’, both driving down the wages and increasing the demand for housing, of the unskilled British worker?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

I take it you've tried:

Chrome on Mac?
    Follow this:
    Okay, then try this one:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/change-notification-settings-in-windows-8942c744-6198-fe56-4639-34320cf9444e
    I tried that: didn't work. However - thankyou @Beibheirli_C - I have now installed AdBlock Pro and it SEEMS to be working. So far. Ins'allah. Etc
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,266
    Nigelb said:

Radiohead just are.
    To pronounce them awesome would be to claim the right to judge them; they exist in a realm beyond judgment.

Is there a level of sycophancy that warrants the ban hammer?

Asking for a friend...
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

I take it you've tried:

Chrome on Mac?
    Follow this:
    Okay, then try this one:

There is even a Mcrosoft support question for it

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-remove-dailymailcom-windows-notification/bd6092bc-59c0-4669-a716-8d86e69205c1
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,616
    Define irony: right-wing, anti-woke PBer complains about a right-wing, anti-woke newspaper!
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,773
    Cyclefree said:

We're reliving the 1970's.

The police certainly seem stuck there - though a judge criticising the "shocking" way the police treated a female police officer who blew the whistle on a colleague who has been convicted of 6 rapes of a colleague and 2 rapes of a 16 year old girl - is a welcome change: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/metropolitan-police-ignored-officers-complaint-about-rapist-colleague-bz7265nzq.

Then there is the NCA which has been found by a police watchdog to tolerate predatory sexual behaviour by its staff - https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/sex-predators-tolerated-at-national-crime-agency-z3c25bq7j - problems known to the leadership with nothing done. Apparently being there is like going into "an old fashioned CID office". The usual pointless apology has been offered.

Not to be outdone, the Scouts are currently carrying out an investigation into claims they silenced women who made allegations of sexual abuse. Millions have been paid out to victims but it is said that their safeguarding policies are still inadequate.

Is there any evidence that we have gone back to the 70s, versus never left?

I think that the behaviour was simply hidden behind a wall of performative bullshit - organisations awarding themselves trophies for safe guarding, inclusivity etc, while not really changing.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

148grss said:

148grss said:

You whingers just want something for nothing. Back when men were men we had to do it all ourselves , no help from anyone and just hard graft.
    21st century has produced nothing but lazy whining whingers.
    Can't tell if this is a joke or not...
  • Options
    eek said:

Sandpit said:

148grss said:

148grss said:

Sandpit said:

148grss said:

148grss said:

Depends I think it's just moved things round a bit.

It used to be that those just above minimum wage were impacted because of Eastern Europeans coming here to get work.

Now it's people in skilled jobs not getting payrises because there are plenty of overseas people willing to take a job that pays £45,000 say for £40,000..
    That’s true to a limited extent, yes. But it’s an easier problem for the government to solve, than a massive underclass who can’t afford any standard of living at all.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

148grss said:

148grss said:

Sandpit said:

148grss said:

148grss said:

But the government is still following a policy of trying to discipline workers - that's why they're fighting against pay rises so much. Not because of inflation but because, ideologically, they don't want workers to be able to flex their muscles. You see that here even more so than the US (at a federal level, red-states are disciplining labour by literally allowing children to work again and other measures).
  • Options
    In case anyone is feeling unduly optimistic after today's flood of good news, on all fronts, a reminder that it is now midsummer, and the days get shorter from here on. Winter is coming

A necessary corrective to some of this afternoon's irrational exuberance, perhaps
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,450

Miklosvar said:

SKS monstering Sunak.

Hmm, didn't you say much the same last week? I didn't listen to PMQs so don't have a view, but I don't get the impression that you've been an SKS fan at any time.
    Starmer asked the same question six times and each time got a non-answer from Sunak. He didn't mention Sunak's no vote. He didn't mention Sunak's tacit contempt of parliament by not voting in favour of the committee report. He didn't mention inflation or the boats failures. He was useless and he had stacks of material to bury Sunak under. He was unacceptably poor.
    For an alternative view, see "PMQ snap verdict" in https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2023/jun/21/rishi-sunak-inflation-pmqs-keir-starmer-covid-inquiry-jeremy-hunt-boris-johnson-uk-politics-live?filterKeyEvents=false&page=with:block-6492e28a8f084ea43c43d39d#block-6492e28a8f084ea43c43d39d

- the blog is by no means routinely supportive of Starmer, but this time says

"It was obvious that Keir Starmer won those exchanges when Rishi Sunak started his final answer with the words: “No amount of personal attacks and petty point-scoring will disguise the fact that [Starmer] does not have a plan for this country.” Complaining about “personal attacks and petty point-scoring” at PMQs is a serious category error; it is a bit like playing football and then moaning about your opponents only being interested in kicking the ball into the back of your net.

PMQs is an environment where leaders have to combine clear, broad-brush strategic messaging with sly digs that undermine the standing and authority of their rivals. It is a hard trick to pull off; too high-minded, and you look naive; too personal, and you just look nasty. Starmer gets the balance just about right, and today his jibes against Sunak were considerably more effective than anything coming in the opposite direction." (extract - the blog has considerably more).

I think the Committee report and who voted on it is a Westminster issue and unlikely to resonate much with the public. By contrast, he does mention mortgage inflation at some length, with a telling example.
    You may have a point.

The media are picking mortgage chaos for their 30 second sound bites for news bulletins on the back of PMQs.

Personally I am constantly disappointed when Starmer appears to let Sunak off the hook at PMQs.
This discussion has been closed.