Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A LAB majority edges up in the election betting – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    MiklosvarMiklosvar Posts: 1,855
    Andy_JS said:

Scott_xP said:

Foxy said:

The more I see of this Titanic submersible, the more stupid anyone getting into it seems.

Visiting a famous mass grave entombed in a sealed vehicle controlled by a games controller, with no real back up systems must surely sweep up the Darwin Awards this year.

Assuming they don't survive, some good may come of it if people in the future decide NOT to visit the scene any more
    One of the people in the submarine was an expert on the Titanic who's visited the site before to conduct important research.
    The only "research" you can do down there, is look at it out of the dunny window and take bad photos on your phone. Unless you want to link to a handful of his papers generated by his visits.
  • Options
    WestieWestie Posts: 426
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Scotland have now been leading this match for 1 hour 40 minutes, and they only need to hold on for the remaining 84 minutes.

The water polo?
    Sshhh, you'll upset HYUFD if you talk about w-a-t-e-r
    Oh, why? He doesn't have rabies does he? Have I missed something?
    Toynbee tweeted something and HYUFD decided that meant everybody here was rancid. I don't know, it was a little confusing.
    Ah, thanks. Definitely hydrophobic. Will avoid his saliva, then.
    If you also think Toynbee's horrendously disrespectful tweet is OK says much about you too

https://twitter.com/pollytoynbee/status/1671182571793686528?s=20
    If you don't like what's on the TV, turn it off. Or don't have a TV set in the first place. I've never had one. Big part of how I can think for myself even given my advanced years.

And whatever you do, don't get your knickers in a twist over anyone's tweet.

Sure it's been revolting, this coverage of the poor billionaire who was serving the world as an "explorer" (give me a break) when he paid 10 years of a normal person's income to dive down and look at the wreck of the Titanic. (How 1990s!) But nobody has to follow this sh*t. Steel yourself and hit the turn it off button.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,280

Australia traded at a high of 19.5 with thousands traded around 11 (or 10/1 in old money).

England reached a low of 1.21.

Sadly, it's usually a good strategy to bet against the patriotic choice, as people like to bet on what they want to happen...
    ohnotnow said:

Sandpit said:

Whoever wins, this is a brilliant advert for Bazball and for Test circket. They said they wanted it to be entertaining and this has served that up in spades. Well done to both England and Australia.

Absolutely, a fantastic advert for this form of the sport. Very well played by both teams, no matter what the result.
    Yawwwwnnnnn :lol:
    But someone threw a ball towards some sticks and then someone with a different stick sometimes hit the ball away from the sticks. Sometimes someone else threw the ball back at the original sticks.

Based on that someone got some numbers.

It's gripping.
    Moronic post. Piss off.
    Zzzzzzzzz
    If you don’t like the sport, nobody is making you watch it. Childish comments like the above are just ridiculous.
    If you don't like cash, nobody is making you use it.
    I know. I don’t use it.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,176
    Miklosvar said:

Andy_JS said:

Scott_xP said:

Foxy said:

The more I see of this Titanic submersible, the more stupid anyone getting into it seems.

Visiting a famous mass grave entombed in a sealed vehicle controlled by a games controller, with no real back up systems must surely sweep up the Darwin Awards this year.

Assuming they don't survive, some good may come of it if people in the future decide NOT to visit the scene any more
    One of the people in the submarine was an expert on the Titanic who's visited the site before to conduct important research.
    The only "research" you can do down there, is look at it out of the dunny window and take bad photos on your phone. Unless you want to link to a handful of his papers generated by his visits.
    I'd be interested too (seriously).
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,646
    Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

Andy_JS said:

It's sometimes hard to tell the difference between "important research" and looting
    I have some suspicion that Indiana Jones isn't really a proper archaeological researcher...
    "Archeology is the search for fact, not truth. If it's truth you're interested in, Dr. Tyree's philosophy class is right down the hall. So forget any ideas you've got about lost cities, exotic travel, and digging up the world. We do not follow maps to buried treasure, and X never, ever marks the spot. 70% of all archaeology is done in the library. Researching. Reading. We cannot afford to take mythology at face value."
  • Options
    kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

Andy_JS said:

Well that was definitely worth £25 for a ticket at Edgbaston today. Just got off the shuttle bus from the ground. But why didn't Anderson bowl at the end?

Glad you had a good day. (winces at the £170 I’ve paid to be at Lord’s next Wednesday).
    AUS did really well and deserved the win but I think we can come back with the 1-1 next time so enjoy the game 👍
    I admire your optimism, Pubman. I think we will need to make changes. Moeen won’t be fit so who so we spin? Is there a case for Foakes? If so, where does Bairstow go? Opener? 😃
    Yes - in the Bazball era they want to go fast from the off, and in the last few years he's played so well he can probably transition.
    Now you put it like that… It would be a radical and crazy but interesting and attacking move…
  • Options
    WestieWestie Posts: 426
    Miklosvar said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

In the words of Abba, “Money, Money, Money”!
    Stick a few tubes together, rig up a couple of directional propellers, profit!

Only flaw with the plan was getting in the thing yourself. Oops.
    Some years ago I treated a doctor who did death certificate work for a funeral company, and who got fatal injuries falling into an open grave.

At least his was an accident. These idiots deliberately got in.
    What? That seems an overly late stage in the whole cycle to be certifying death, or its absence.

We don't really know what has happened to this sub because of the bovine incuriosity of the journalists reporting on it. I have read that "there's no navigation down there because GPS doesn't work" as if inertial systems and indeed dead reckoning were not a thing, and that the thing sends a "ping" every 15 mins with no explanation of how it sends it. We don't even know if there's an umbilical and if not, why not.
    Journalists and their editors are superficial. Shocker.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,318
    edited June 2023
    Westie said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Scotland have now been leading this match for 1 hour 40 minutes, and they only need to hold on for the remaining 84 minutes.

The water polo?
    Toynbee tweeted something and HYUFD decided that meant everybody here was rancid. I don't know, it was a little confusing.
    If you also think Toynbee's horrendously disrespectful tweet is OK says much about you too

If you don't like what's on the TV, turn it off. Or don't have a TV set in the first place. I've never had one. Big part of how I can think for myself even given my advanced years.

Sure it's been revolting, this coverage of the poor billionaire who was serving the world as an "explorer" (give me a break) when he paid 10 years of a normal person's income to dive down and look at the wreck of the Titanic. (How 1990s!) But nobody has to follow this sh*t. Steel yourself and hit the turn it off button.
    It says everything about you and the rest of the Left and how absolutely repulsive you can be that class war trumps everything even when those targeted have families fearing they may soon be dead.

• Options

tlg86 said:

Andy_JS said:

Well that was definitely worth £25 for a ticket at Edgbaston today. Just got off the shuttle bus from the ground. But why didn't Anderson bowl at the end?

Glad you had a good day. (winces at the £170 I’ve paid to be at Lord’s next Wednesday).
    AUS did really well and deserved the win but I think we can come back with the 1-1 next time so enjoy the game 👍
    I admire your optimism, Pubman. I think we will need to make changes. Moeen won’t be fit so who so we spin? Is there a case for Foakes? If so, where does Bairstow go? Opener? 😃
    Yes we need to make changes. I don't know much about spin. Does Foakes do spin in which case yes please. Foakes as an additional all rounder Bairstow to stay??
    Foakes doesn’t spin as far as I know. Was thinking him with with the gloves? Bairstow missed a lot of chances in this Test.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,139

kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

Andy_JS said:

Yes - in the Bazball era they want to go fast from the off, and in the last few years he's played so well he can probably transition.
    Now you put it like that… It would be a radical and crazy but interesting and attacking move…
    They won't do it. For all the great results and bold moves, changing their preferred team set up does not seem to be on the agenda.
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBatCorrectHorseBat Posts: 1,761
    Have to say I think betting on Baso gain for Labour was a very good bet
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,839
    Foxy said:

Westie said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

The water polo?

I don't think it right to focus on the price of his trip. That's just a sunk cost fallacy.
    oh god
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

The water polo?

You are [edit] an activist member of a political party which has tried to browbeat the RNLI, in the media and through ill-considered legislation, into NOT saving lives at sea.
    No, that was Farage. Priti Patel ultimately ensured the RNLI could not be prosecuted for rescuing migrants
    Farage shamarage - your party is the Faragist one now anyway.

And it's curious how your memory is so selective. I remember the very same Home Sec who wanted to do precisely that in the first place to frighten every single manager, crew member and voluntary support crew? You know, puit that in the ACTUAL DRAFT LEGISLATION and wouldn't change it for months and months in the teeth of protest?

https://www.thecanary.co/trending/2021/07/07/priti-patels-immigration-bill-could-make-the-rnli-criminals/
  • Options
    EXC with @hzeffman

Labour is drawing up plans to appoint dozens of new peers

Despite Starmer criticism of Johnson honours and commitment to abolish Lords, party insiders say new working age peers will be needed if he is to govern effectively

https://twitter.com/patrickkmaguire/status/1671262625039265792

OH FUCK OFF KEIR
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,253
    Not long to the CPI figure. Will it be sub 8% IE only four times the BOE target or another disappointing figure? 👿👿👿
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,573

Scott_xP said:

@ScotlandNT
    now
    The match official has decided to restart play at 9.30pm.

The match will restart from the sixth minute, with the score Scotland 1-0 Georgia.

Why not just abandon the game with the current score standing? Although it would not be good if that meant Spain winning the group on goal difference.

Edit: am I the only poster that supports Scotland at football and England at cricket?
    No.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,332
    Macron accused of promoting toxic masculinity for downing a bottle of beer.

https://twitter.com/thetimes/status/1671133519517474816
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,645
    kle4 said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Labour now targeting Mid Beds and not giving the LDs a free run v the Tories
    https://twitter.com/peterkyle/status/1671077159077572608?s=20

There's a difference between making a respectable effort and making an all out effort to win. Labour will be doing the latter in Uxbridge, Selby and Rutherglen.
    HYUFD doesn't understand what tactically standing a candidate is.

In 1997 Labour stood lots of candidates, like in Winchester. But they didn't ever really try.
    Labour were a clear second in Mid Beds in 2019 not the LDs, the fact they are already putting Labour posters up looks like they are not running just a paper candidate there now.

Somerton and Frome now up for another by election where the LDs were second in 2019 suggests Labour decided to maybe only run a paper candidate there
    Labour was a clear second in Shropshire North.

Labour was a clear second in Tiverton & Honiton.

No surprise to see Conservative supporters and sympathisers realising their only hope of holding the seat is to encourage the opposition parties to fight each other. No question of being able to hold the seat purely on the Government's record (no giggling in the cheap seats, please).
    It is surprising to see people on left and right rely on pushing who was in clear second place when trying to argue who should be best placed and therefore how parties might or should fight such a seat. The recent history demonstrates very clearly it is more complex than that.

Well, not really surprising that it is used, but surprising we aren't expected to notice.
    Well it is more complex, but that was Stodge's implied point. He was citing where previously being in 2nd place was not a good indicator of which party turned out to be best place. I think you missed the nuance.

HYUFD? Utterly predictable responses, could have been written by an Tory Robo ChatBot. I suspect that even he doesn't believe his own propaganda.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,971
    edited June 2023
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

Andy_JS said:

They won't do it. For all the great results and bold moves, changing their preferred team set up does not seem to be on the agenda.
    I think that's part of the bold approach.

If you are worried about being dropped you aren't going to play a reverse ramp shot first up.
  • Options

EXC with @hzeffman

Despite Starmer criticism of Johnson honours and commitment to abolish Lords, party insiders say new working age peers will be needed if he is to govern effectively

OH FUCK OFF KEIR

If he's smart he'll focus on incremental changes to the Lords in his first term to show a good path and save abolishment for a second - far more substantive things he could be doing first up, and he'll just get bogged down in constitutional conundrums which are of interest to political anoraks like us but few others. Sure abolishment would not lose many votes, but it would eat up time and political capital.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,756
    Bloomberg (via Seattle Times) - Seattle-based founder of submersible company is among the 5 people missing

Five people are on board a submersible vessel that has gone missing in the North Atlantic during an expedition to the Titanic shipwreck.

The group includes Hamish Harding, founder of investment firm Action Group and an avid adventurer. The 58-year-old Briton holds three Guinness World Records, including the longest time spent traversing the deepest part of the ocean — the Mariana Trench — on a single dive, and the fastest navigation of Earth via the North and South Poles by plane.

Others on the missing Titan vessel include Seattle resident Stockton Rush, founder of OceanGate Expeditions, the company that put on the trip to the Titanic. Shahzada Dawood and his son Suleman, members of one of the most prominent business families in Pakistan, are also on board . . . The pilot of the sub is Frenchman Paul Henry Nargeolet, according to reports. . . .

Hamish Harding
    Harding is an accomplished businessman who founded UK- and Dubai-based private equity company Action Group in 2002. The business includes Action Aviation, which offers aircraft brokerage, management and financing services. . . .

Harding’s other Guinness World Record is for the longest distance traveled along the deepest part of the ocean — 4.634 kilometers (2.88 miles), which he did during the Mariana Trench dive in 2021. He also went to the edge of space last year with Blue Origin LLC, the American company founded by Amazon.com Inc.’s Jeff Bezos.

Harding graduated from the University of Cambridge with a degree in natural sciences and chemical engineering. He is married and has two children.

Stockton Rush
    Rush, president of OceanGate, hoped to make the Titanic more accessible with visits to the wreckage aboard his privately owned five-person sub. The initial goal was to take paying guests to the site on weekly visits from May to September, coupling the trips with research efforts that allow passengers to contribute as citizen scientists.

Rush, who augmented inherited wealth via angel and venture investing, has a degree from Princeton University in aerospace engineering and an MBA from UC Berkeley’s Haas School of Business. Now in his early 60s, Rush became the youngest jet transport-rated pilot in the world when, at 19, he obtained his Captain’s rating at the United Airlines Jet Training Institute in 1981, according to his biography on the OceanGate website.

He worked with Boeing Co. on an early design of the Titan carbon-fiber sub and then with NASA.

He has experienced aborted trips to the Titanic wreckage site in the past — his sub was hit by lightning in 2018, destroying its electrical system and scuttling the mission. A second attempt ended unsuccessfully the next year because of issues with the “mother ship” used to transport the team and equipment. . . .
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:

@ScotlandNT
    now

The match will restart from the sixth minute, with the score Scotland 1-0 Georgia.

Why not just abandon the game with the current score standing? Although it would not be good if that meant Spain winning the group on goal difference.

Edit: am I the only poster that supports Scotland at football and England at cricket?
    No.
    Well, that's the Sillars-Tebbit combined test permanently refuted. (Thank goodness.)

(Just out of curiosity: what's wrong with the Scotland cricket team? That it doesn't win world cups can't be the reason, as the footie team doesn't either ...
  • Options
    edited June 2023

kle4 said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

There's a difference between making a respectable effort and making an all out effort to win. Labour will be doing the latter in Uxbridge, Selby and Rutherglen.

In 1997 Labour stood lots of candidates, like in Winchester. But they didn't ever really try.
    Labour were a clear second in Mid Beds in 2019 not the LDs, the fact they are already putting Labour posters up looks like they are not running just a paper candidate there now.

Somerton and Frome now up for another by election where the LDs were second in 2019 suggests Labour decided to maybe only run a paper candidate there

No surprise to see Conservative supporters and sympathisers realising their only hope of holding the seat is to encourage the opposition parties to fight each other. No question of being able to hold the seat purely on the Government's record (no giggling in the cheap seats, please).
    It is surprising to see people on left and right rely on pushing who was in clear second place when trying to argue who should be best placed and therefore how parties might or should fight such a seat. The recent history demonstrates very clearly it is more complex than that.

Well, not really surprising that it is used, but surprising we aren't expected to notice.
    Well it is more complex, but that was Stodge's implied point. He was citing where previously being in 2nd place was not a good indicator of which party turned out to be best place. I think you missed the nuance.
    I didn't miss it, I was agreeing with him that others miss that point.
  • Options
    Addendum

Shahzada and Suleman Dawood
    The Dawoods are members of one of Pakistan’s most prominent families . . .

Shahzada Dawood is vice chairman of Engro Corp., which has businesses stretching from fertilizers to power generation. He graduated from the University of Buckingham with a law degree in 1998 and from Philadelphia University with a Master’s in textile marketing in 2000.

Paul Henry Nargeolet
    Nargeolet is a preeminent diver and considered to be the world’s leading expert on the Titanic wreckage and its debris field, which stretches 25 square nautical miles. He is director of underwater research for Experiential Media Group, or E/M Group, and RMS Titanic Inc., and has completed dozens of submersible dives to the crash site.
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

Andy_JS said:

If you are worried about being dropped you aren't going to play a reverse ramp shot first up.
    They've stuck with players in bad patches before, that's not new.

But it is the opposite of bold to not make adjustments if it would be better overall out of sheer stubbornness.

Would Bairstow in for an opener so we can get in the best Wicketkeeper definitely work? No. But it could pay off massively, and its not as though our openers, though improved, are the strongest element.
  • Options

kle4 said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD? Utterly predictable responses, could have been written by an Tory Robo ChatBot. I suspect that even he doesn't believe his own propaganda.
    Why should Starmer give the LDs a free run in seats Labour were 2nd if he wants to lead a majority Labour government? Especially when there is already a by election in Somerton where the LDs were in 2nd place
  • Options

EXC with @hzeffman

OH FUCK OFF KEIR

Fuck off Tony Benn?

His estate holds the copyright of the original plan to create loads of Labour peers in order to ensure that the Lords vote for their abolition.
  • Options
    edited June 2023

Boris Johnson apparently is furious. Macron downed a half pint in 17 seconds. Boris has been trying to do that since 25th October.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

The water polo?

You are [edit] an activist member of a political party which has tried to browbeat the RNLI, in the media and through ill-considered legislation, into NOT saving lives at sea.
    No, that was Farage. Priti Patel ultimately ensured the RNLI could not be prosecuted for rescuing migrants

And it's curious how your memory is so selective. I remember the very same Home Sec who wanted to do precisely that in the first place to frighten every single manager, crew member and voluntary support crew? You know, puit that in the ACTUAL DRAFT LEGISLATION and wouldn't change it for months and months in the teeth of protest?

https://www.thecanary.co/trending/2021/07/07/priti-patels-immigration-bill-could-make-the-rnli-criminals/
    And she correctly did ensure the law was amended to prevent the RNLI being prosecuted.

Whereas you on the left and Toynbee are still persisting in your repulsive, some would say evil, disrespect for those on this sub and their families
  • Options
    Tony Benn is a c word
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,046
    Well played Australia for the Test win.

To be honest, England did an amazing job in getting 8 wickets on that featherbed. Played very similar to last year when England demolished a world class Indian pace attack to get 350-3.

I think England have to play this aggressive approach - it’s the only chance they have to beat Australia who are a significantly better team.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,071
    edited June 2023
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

Andy_JS said:

They've stuck with players in bad patches before, that's not new.

But it is the opposite of bold to not make adjustments if it would be better overall out of sheer stubbornness.

Would Bairstow in for an opener so we can get in the best Wicketkeeper definitely work? No. But it could pay off massively, and its not as though our openers, though improved, are the strongest element.
    The real issues are the loss of Stokes as a bowler who can do a
    full shift, and Jack Leach as a quality specialist spinner. We are effectively 2 full time bowlers down.
    Their presence gave us the flexibility to play both Bairstow and Foakes.
  • Options
    MiklosvarMiklosvar Posts: 1,855
    Westie said:

Miklosvar said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

In the words of Abba, “Money, Money, Money”!
    Stick a few tubes together, rig up a couple of directional propellers, profit!

Only flaw with the plan was getting in the thing yourself. Oops.
    Some years ago I treated a doctor who did death certificate work for a funeral company, and who got fatal injuries falling into an open grave.

At least his was an accident. These idiots deliberately got in.
    What? That seems an overly late stage in the whole cycle to be certifying death, or its absence.

We don't really know what has happened to this sub because of the bovine incuriosity of the journalists reporting on it. I have read that "there's no navigation down there because GPS doesn't work" as if inertial systems and indeed dead reckoning were not a thing, and that the thing sends a "ping" every 15 mins with no explanation of how it sends it. We don't even know if there's an umbilical and if not, why not.
    Journalists and their editors are superficial. Shocker.
    Tediously and shockingly superficial post. 30 years ago I would have expected and got a diagram in say the Times showing how this thing descends, ascends, moves horizontally, navigates and communicates with the surface. Now, nothing.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,431

Tony Benn is a c word

Checked out, deCeased, defunCt?
  • Options

Tony Benn is a c word

corpse?
  • Options
    Tony Benn is a c*nt
  • Options
    Sounds rough. Hopefully still on track.

Update from the ground. Ukraine moving south very slowly—by choice or circumstances. “Heavy close combat fighting then ensued in neighbouring Makarivka, and on Tuesday they were bearing down on Urozhaine. Several kilometres, all in all…”

“The situation is not good,” he said. “We don’t have enough weapons and armoured vehicles. We were almost encircled in Bilohorivka, just one way in and out.”…“We need better training,” he added

Ukraine is clearly moving slowly in the south. The question is whether this is because they can’t move any faster, due to resistance, or are moving slowly to minimise casualties, or are still prioritising attrition against Russian artillery, rear positions & reserves—or a combo.

https://twitter.com/shashj/status/1671223842037956614?cxt=HHwWjICwzdrOsLEuAAAA
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

The water polo?

And she correctly did ensure the law was amended to prevent the RNLI being prosecuted.

Whereas you on the left and Toynbee are still persisting in your repulsive, some would say evil, disrespect for those on this sub and their families
    I still don't understand why you're getting so salty about it
  • Options
    🌹Labour news: Ben Nunn, former comms chief to Keir Starmer, is returning to work for the party.

He’ll be taking over from Rachel Reeves aide Heather Iqbal, who is going on mat leave in August, to help the party with its economic message & strategy.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

The water polo?

I refer you to the discussion earlier about allotment fires.

And what have I said about the sub, apart from inquiring if it has at least one fairly obvious emergency mechanism? Not a word about its crew.
  • Options
    MORE CRICKET NEWS . . . from Elko, Nevada . . .

AP (via Seattle Times) - Blood-red crickets invade Nevada town; residents fight back with brooms, leaf blowers, snowplows

Dana Dolan was driving through her small Nevada hometown when she thought she had come upon a gory crash. The ground surrounding Elko’s stretch of Interstate 80 looked as if it had been covered in blood. As the red color shifted and moved, she realized instead it was an infiltration of crickets, some bigger than her thumb.

“It’s almost like a biblical plague,” Dolan told The Associated Press last week, laughing at the absurdity of the situation that is playing out in Elko, where she’s lived for six years.

Tens of thousands of Mormon cricket eggs buried about an inch deep in the soil began to hatch in late May and early June. For weeks, the red critters have been invading swaths of northern Nevada and causing chaos, said the state’s longtime entomologist Jeff Knight.

The invasion of the cannibalistic crickets has hit especially hard in Elko, a small town of about 20,000 near Idaho and Utah known for its gold mining.

The big red bugs leave behind a stench so horrible, akin to burning flesh, that it forces residents to plug their noses while driving. The critters stick to tires and the bottoms of shoes, and their carcasses are everywhere, even in gyms. When they move, it sounds like rain, Dolan says. . . .

The red creatures blanket highways and scuttle over barriers, seeking food. They crackle and pop under the wheels of trucks, creating something like an oil slick . . .

Outbreaks of Mormon crickets, which are native to the Great Basin and Intermountain West, have been recorded throughout history across the west — from Nevada and Montana to Idaho, Utah and Oregon. There are records of infestations dating to the 1930s, according to entomologist Knight.

Legend has it the insects got their name when they started devastating crops planted by Mormon settlers who had moved into the Salt Lake valley in Utah, Knight said.

“The settlers prayed for relief,” Knight said. “That came in the form of seagulls. Seagulls ate the crickets…That’s also why they’re the state bird of Utah.” . . .

The Mormon cricket is not a true cricket but a shield-backed katydid. They are flightless but travel together in “bands” that can range in size from 5 acres (2 hectares) acres to hundreds of acres . . .

Each spring — or summer, in this case — the crickets born that year will mate and lay a new generation of eggs in the soil. Those eggs are meant to hatch the following spring, but some will lay dormant in the soil for up to 11 years, Knight said. Eggs can accumulate in the dirt for years until a drought comes along, triggering the sleepy eggs to hatch all at once. And then the cycle repeats. . . .
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,226

Tony Benn is a c word

"Corpse"?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Why should Starmer give the LDs a free run in seats Labour were 2nd if he wants to lead a majority Labour government? Especially when there is already a by election in Somerton where the LDs were in 2nd place
    Because Labour secured a huge working majority in 1997 without ever getting close even then in Mid Beds.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Tony Benn is a c word

"Corpse"?
    You're better than this, engage that big brain
  • Options

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Because Labour secured a huge working majority in 1997 without ever getting close even then in Mid Beds.
    HYUFD is definitely in the denial phase
  • Options

Tony Benn is a c*nt

You're drunk, @CorrectHorseBat , put the mouse down and watch some telly.
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

Andy_JS said:

Yup, agreed. And I think that’s right. The only change will be Moeen (if he’s unfit). But as Stokes said, there’s a fairly long break until Lords.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Tony Benn is a c*nt

You're drunk, @CorrectHorseBat , put the mouse down and watch some telly.
    I've not had a lick of alcohol today. Very much sober.

Tony Benn is an arsehole, he made Labour unelectable for a generation.

Why don't you pass by my posts as I do yours.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,431
    Fckn hell.

I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit.

• Options
    GN all. I remain confident we can win next time 👍
  • Options

Now he's drunk. I am not.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,951
    Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

Andy_JS said:

It's sometimes hard to tell the difference between "important research" and looting
    I have some suspicion that Indiana Jones isn't really a proper archaeological researcher...
    Ah well, you're quite wrong on that point - there was a brilliant documentary on him made in the early 80s:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raiders_of_the_Lost_Ark
  • Options

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

Andy_JS said:

Ah well, you're quite wrong on that point - there was a brilliant documentary on him made in the early 80s:

Another drunk.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,024
    edited June 2023
    On Jimmy Anderson, in case you didn’t clock it, today was the twentieth (sic!) anniversary of his hat trick against Pakistan.
  • Options
    This version of the Tories are the worst Government in British political history.
  • Options

Fckn hell.

I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit.

"Monkey hate community", apparently. Didn't have the heart to read further, certainly not before bedtime.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/extra/Iot1dIWVS5/hunting-the-monkey-torturers
  • Options
    murali_s said:

Well played Australia for the Test win.

To be honest, England did an amazing job in getting 8 wickets on that featherbed. Played very similar to last year when England demolished a world class Indian pace attack to get 350-3.

I think England have to play this aggressive approach - it’s the only chance they have to beat Australia who are a significantly better team.

Agreed. I think only three or four of our players would get into the Aussie team so aggression, cranking up home advantage (which we failed to do with that flat track) and inventive captaincy is the only viable route to a series win.
  • Options
    Labour leads by 7% in the Blue Wall, the largest lead for Labour in these seats since 26 March.

Blue Wall VI (17-18 June):

Labour 38% (+4)
    Conservative 31% (+1)
    Liberal Democrat 22% (-4)
    Reform UK 5% (–)
    Green 4% (-1)
    Other 0% (-1)

Changes +/- 4 June
  • Options

Tony Benn is a c*nt

Your subtleties are lost on me.

Do you want the Lords to continue? Or do have you a better tactical plan than Benn and Starmer to provide for sufficient votes to ensure their abolition?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,941
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

HYUFD said:

Tasteless tweet from Polly Toynbee

'@pollytoynbee
    Searching rather harder for five millionaires' missing sub than for small boats sinking with hundreds of families and children on board?'

Commenting on a tasteless fact.
    As repulsive a class war post from you too, there are search and rescue boats involved in both and Canada and the US where the Titanic sub rescue is taking place is not even on the same continent as greece either
    But the UK is [edit]. The UK is very definitely in Europe. It is not in Canada. Canada and Newfoundland aren't imperial dominions any more.

The reference is plainly to press and media coverage, however.
    Because to a journalist only newspapers coverage means something is being done.

I recall one journalist claiming that no research into AIDS treatment was going on. When the fact that billions of dollars over decades was being spent, whole research institutes specialising in it etc, he responded that it wasn’t his fault he don’t know that. Since it wasn’t in the news non stop.
  • Options

Tony Benn is a c*nt

Your subtleties are lost on me.

Do you want the Lords to continue? Or do have you a better tactical plan than Benn and Starmer to provide for sufficient votes to ensure their abolition?
    It is a disgrace that Keir is considering putting any more people in the Lords. It is a disgrace, he should abolish it.
  • Options
    @bigjohnowls please explain
  • Options

This version of the Tories are the worst Government in British political history.

William the Bastard was a few degrees worse.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Incorrect.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:

@ScotlandNT
    now

No.
    Well, that's the Sillars-Tebbit combined test permanently refuted. (Thank goodness.)

(Just out of curiosity: what's wrong with the Scotland cricket team? That it doesn't win world cups can't be the reason, as the footie team doesn't either ...
    I was wondering exactly that. Assume it’s because it’s not a Test side and he’d support them against England in white ball cricket?
  • Options
    I wonder how long this iteration of CorrectHorseBat will last before he is cancelled
  • Options

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

Andy_JS said:

You mean the one that starts with him looting a burial site of a cultural artefact then fleeing the scene pursued by the local authorities without obtaining their consent for neither inspecting the site nor removing artefacts? And then ends with him cooperating with the Nazis in their quest to move the Ark of the Covenant to Third Reich Berlin???
  • Options

Farooq said:

Incorrect.
    Literal ethnic cleansing!

Apparently when he wanted to marry Matilda, she refused. So her dragged her out of mass and beat her. Later, when they were married and he was stressed about the upcoming war of conquest he was about to engage in, he kicked her. With his spurs. His wife. He kicked his wife with his spurs.

And then there's the ethnic cleansing. Did I mention the ethnic cleansing?
  • Options

Labour leads by 7% in the Blue Wall, the largest lead for Labour in these seats since 26 March.

Labour 38% (+4)
    Conservative 31% (+1)
    Reform UK 5% (–)
    Green 4% (-1)
    Other 0% (-1)

Changes +/- 4 June

'When asked which would be a better Prime Minister between Rishi Sunak and Keir Starmer, 39% (–) of Blue Wall voters choose Rishi Sunak, and 34% (-1) choose Keir Starmer. 26% (–) say they don’t know.'
    https://redfieldandwiltonstrategies.com/latest-blue-wall-voting-intention-17-18-june-2023/
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Incorrect.

Apparently when he wanted to marry Matilda, she refused. So her dragged her out of mass and beat her. Later, when they were married and he was stressed about the upcoming war of conquest he was about to engage in, he kicked her. With his spurs. His wife. He kicked his wife with his spurs.

William the Utter Bastard
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Incorrect.

Wouldn't have been a bad thing if a storm had wrecked his ship in 1066. Not every rich idiot in a sinking ship is a tragedy.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Incorrect.

A boat person, though. Illegal immigrant across the English Channel. So I don't know why our more lickspittle Tories are so keen to cringe to "aristocrats" descended from the most murderous boat people of that era. Not exactly consistent.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    HYUFD said:

Labour 38% (+4)
    Conservative 31% (+1)
    Reform UK 5% (–)
    Green 4% (-1)
    Other 0% (-1)

Changes +/- 4 June

'When asked which would be a better Prime Minister between Rishi Sunak and Keir Starmer, 39% (–) of Blue Wall voters choose Rishi Sunak, and 34% (-1) choose Keir Starmer. 26% (–) say they don’t know.'
    https://redfieldandwiltonstrategies.com/latest-blue-wall-voting-intention-17-18-june-2023/
    It's interesting, isn't it? More and more people are saying they don't mind Sunak, think he's maybe better than Starmer, but oh, let's vote Labour anyway. What's happening, I think, is that a majority of voters has made a firm decision that they want a change from the Tories, unless the alternative is dreadful, and they don't either like Sunak enough or dislike Starmer enough to override that.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Incorrect.

Were there many non-bastard medieval monarchs though?
  • Options

Now he's drunk. I am not.
    💙💙
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

viewcode said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Incorrect.

A boat person, though. Illegal immigrant across the English Channel. So I don't know why our more lickspittle Tories are so keen to cringe to "aristocrats" descended from the most murderous boat people of that era. Not exactly consistent.
    Plus he sent his officials to scour information from every corner of the land, demanding to know who owned what so he could tax them more, which would piss off the libertarian mob.

And his programme of castle construction would not fit in well with today's boomer NIMBY fixation.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Labour 38% (+4)
    Conservative 31% (+1)
    Reform UK 5% (–)
    Green 4% (-1)
    Other 0% (-1)

Changes +/- 4 June

It's interesting, isn't it? More and more people are saying they don't mind Sunak, think he's maybe better than Starmer, but oh, let's vote Labour anyway. What's happening, I think, is that a majority of voters has made a firm decision that they want a change from the Tories, unless the alternative is dreadful, and they don't either like Sunak enough or dislike Starmer enough to override that.
    Not necessarily, remember in 1992 and 2015 the preferred PM numbers were more accurate than the voting intention numbers (albeit these preferred PM figures are for the blue wall)
  • Options
    edited June 2023

HYUFD said:

Labour 38% (+4)
    Conservative 31% (+1)
    Reform UK 5% (–)
    Green 4% (-1)
    Other 0% (-1)

Changes +/- 4 June

I think this is exactly it - last Autumn when the Tories destroyed their chance for renewal after Boris is when things changed irrevocably.

Sunak is mostly fine, if weak and with some poor judgement. But it's not much to hang hopes on.

It feels very, very different to 2015.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,216
    "George Osborne said his spending cuts meant the UK was better able to cope with the pandemic.

The former chancellor argued that without austerity Britain would have been "more exposed" and rejected claims his approach left the health and social care "depleted" ahead of the Covid pandemic."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-65962091
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Carnyx said:

viewcode said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Incorrect.

'To cringe to "aristocrats" descended from the most murderous boat people of that era?'

Even most of the Lords now aren't descended from William the Conqueror's top earls and commanders.

The King has more Stuart and Tudor and Hanoverian and greek blood than Plantagenet and Norman
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,110
    Andy_JS said:

"George Osborne said his spending cuts meant the UK was better able to cope with the pandemic.

The former chancellor argued that without austerity Britain would have been "more exposed" and rejected claims his approach left the health and social care "depleted" ahead of the Covid pandemic."

Osborne is delusional .
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

viewcode said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Incorrect.

'To cringe to "aristocrats" descended from the most murderous boat people of that era?'

Even most of the Lords now aren't descended from William the Conqueror's top earls and commanders.

The King has more Stuart and Tudor and Hanoverian and greek blood than Plantagenet and Norman
    You said the other day most of the Lords aren't "toffs" so didn't count. Sou your reply is irrelevant. We're talking about so-called "aristicrats" here. Not the un-posh peers we get in the HoL/.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,088
    Andy_JS said:

Italians will tell you they have great public hospitals. (That's why they borrow so much.) Didn't seem to make much difference.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,679
    Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:

@ScotlandNT
    now

No.

The Scottish team don't play Test matches, so they don't play the most interesting form of the sport. It's be like the Scottish soccer team only being allowed to play 5-a-side matches, because they weren't deemed good enough to play grown-up football with 11 players on a full size pitch with a full size ball.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:

@ScotlandNT
    now

No.

The Scottish team don't play Test matches, so they don't play the most interesting form of the sport. It's be like the Scottish soccer team only being allowed to play 5-a-side matches, because they weren't deemed good enough to play grown-up football with 11 players on a full size pitch with a full size ball.
    Good ones would play for England anyway
  • Options
    the penny is at last dropping in Westminster that 6% mortgage rates are as painful - or worse - than the notorious 15% rate in the early 1990s because mortgage holders are now vastly more leveraged compared to their incomes

https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/1671272003343450113

That Labour lead is going to increase. And yet another example where the Tories have forgotten how to politics, they have been in government too long
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,700

Of all the people to be accused of promoting any kind of masculinity.
  • Options

Of all the people to be accused of promoting any kind of masculinity.
    Well said.
  • Options

the penny is at last dropping in Westminster that 6% mortgage rates are as painful - or worse - than the notorious 15% rate in the early 1990s because mortgage holders are now vastly more leveraged compared to their incomes

That Labour lead is going to increase. And yet another example where the Tories have forgotten how to politics, they have been in government too long

Nothing the Tories do seems to improve their poll position.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

While Conservative hopes for an even split in the Opposition vote everywhere are natural, there is a genuine problem for non-Tories in seats like mid-Beds and the Blue Wall, where Labour is now 16 points ahead of the LDs. That includes seats where Labour clearly are the main challengers, but what is the tactically-minded voter to do if the result last time in THEIR seat was something like Mid-Beds' 60-22-13? What if it was 50-32-13? Or 40-32-23?

Where the LibDems were second, or only just behind Labour, I think many tactical voters will reckon they have a better chance in a by-election. But there does come a point where that judgment changes, and it's not easy to determine when it should.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    It's raining again in Edgbaston. Lucky escape for the cricket.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,265
    The first page of BTL comments might as well have been written in Swahili for all the sense it made.

• Options
    edited June 2023

HYUFD said:

Labour 38% (+4)
    Conservative 31% (+1)
    Reform UK 5% (–)
    Green 4% (-1)
    Other 0% (-1)

Changes +/- 4 June

Is this actually reflected in the wider polling? Every poll I've seen reported here has Sunak's personal rating falling. This one only has it static.
  • Options
    DumbosaurusDumbosaurus Posts: 155
    edited June 2023

HYUFD said:

Labour 38% (+4)
    Conservative 31% (+1)
    Reform UK 5% (–)
    Green 4% (-1)
    Other 0% (-1)

Changes +/- 4 June

Describes me perfectly. It'll be the first time I vote labour too.

Heathener, crazy as she is, is right. This will be the opposite of 1992, it'll be the election of shy labour voters. I mix with a diverse set* and those of us who would usually go tory are whispering it quietly...

One of them is even in the latest partygate video.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

viewcode said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Incorrect.

You said the other day most of the Lords aren't "toffs" so didn't count. Sou your reply is irrelevant. We're talking about so-called "aristicrats" here. Not the un-posh peers we get in the HoL/.
    Less than 20% of the Lords are now from the old hereditary peerage. So there is nothing to cringe to as you switch from your vile and pathetic class war mockery of those trapped in the sub in the Atlantic as they happen to be rich to attacking the remaining hereditary peers who are more likely to be running their estates and preserving them for future generations than in the House of Lords.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Nothing the Tories do seems to improve their poll position.
    What do you think they've actually done that should be reversing their polling?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

While Conservative hopes for an even split in the Opposition vote everywhere are natural, there is a genuine problem for non-Tories in seats like mid-Beds and the Blue Wall, where Labour is now 16 points ahead of the LDs. That includes seats where Labour clearly are the main challengers, but what is the tactically-minded voter to do if the result last time in THEIR seat was something like Mid-Beds' 60-22-13? What if it was 50-32-13? Or 40-32-23?

Where the LibDems were second, or only just behind Labour, I think many tactical voters will reckon they have a better chance in a by-election. But there does come a point where that judgment changes, and it's not easy to determine when it should.
    So even you agree that Labour will target Mid Beds
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,297
    Andy_JS said:

Interesting article in UnHerd.

"The Swedish Right’s moral panic over Russia
    Dissident intellectuals are copying the Left
    BY MALCOM KYEYUNE"

https://unherd.com/2023/06/the-swedish-rights-moral-panic-over-russia/

Sorry to be all picky, but that article claims that Sweden still imports Russian gas and I'm not sure that's true.

There's no easy pipeline access to Russia, and while they used to get quite regular Russian LNG cargos, I'm not seeing any that have landed since last August, almost a year ago.
This discussion has been closed.