Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A LAB majority edges up in the election betting – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,267
    And indeed most of the second page.

Perhaps I'll start talking to myself about knitting patterns, the latest series of the Great British Sewing Bee and the best recipe for banana bread.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,297

Macron accused of promoting toxic masculinity for downing a bottle of beer.

https://twitter.com/thetimes/status/1671133519517474816

Of all the people to be accused of promoting any kind of masculinity.
    I don't know, I've heard he's a fan of masculine men.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,139
    Cyclefree said:

Perhaps I'll start talking to myself about knitting patterns, the latest series of the Great British Sewing Bee and the best recipe for banana bread.

A welcome addition.

I suggest using bananas.
  • Options
    DumbosaurusDumbosaurus Posts: 155
    Cyclefree said:

Well if you want a change of subject I'd like to know if you've been to that infinity bridge at Honister and what you think. I intend to torture a relative with it in a couple of months and some actual experience would be handy.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,280
    Andy_JS said:

the penny is at last dropping in Westminster that 6% mortgage rates are as painful - or worse - than the notorious 15% rate in the early 1990s because mortgage holders are now vastly more leveraged compared to their incomes

https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/1671272003343450113

That Labour lead is going to increase. And yet another example where the Tories have forgotten how to politics, they have been in government too long

Nothing the Tories do seems to improve their poll position.
    What exactly have they ‘done’?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,700

HYUFD said:

Labour leads by 7% in the Blue Wall, the largest lead for Labour in these seats since 26 March.

Blue Wall VI (17-18 June):

Labour 38% (+4)
    Conservative 31% (+1)
    Liberal Democrat 22% (-4)
    Reform UK 5% (–)
    Green 4% (-1)
    Other 0% (-1)

Changes +/- 4 June

'When asked which would be a better Prime Minister between Rishi Sunak and Keir Starmer, 39% (–) of Blue Wall voters choose Rishi Sunak, and 34% (-1) choose Keir Starmer. 26% (–) say they don’t know.'
    https://redfieldandwiltonstrategies.com/latest-blue-wall-voting-intention-17-18-june-2023/
    It's interesting, isn't it? More and more people are saying they don't mind Sunak, think he's maybe better than Starmer, but oh, let's vote Labour anyway. What's happening, I think, is that a majority of voters has made a firm decision that they want a change from the Tories, unless the alternative is dreadful, and they don't either like Sunak enough or dislike Starmer enough to override that.
    Describes me perfectly. It'll be the first time I vote labour too.

Heathener, crazy as she is, is right. This will be the opposite of 1992, it'll be the election of shy labour voters. I mix with a diverse set* and those of us who would usually go tory are whispering it quietly...
    I've never noticed this poster, but I am calling Leon on the basis of this post. The case for the prosecution:
    -Referencing Heathener, another of his ludicrous creations
    -Leon always chooses strange political stances for his aliases. The Lib Dem who loved Boris for example. Here we have a first time Labour voter who carries a torch for Sunak
    -The neat, punchy, lickety split sentences are Leon's style, though he's at least remembering to use full stops

*Dunbosaurus, if you are a genuine real poster, I apologise deeply, this post never happened, tis all a midsummer night's dream.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

the penny is at last dropping in Westminster that 6% mortgage rates are as painful - or worse - than the notorious 15% rate in the early 1990s because mortgage holders are now vastly more leveraged compared to their incomes

https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/1671272003343450113

That Labour lead is going to increase. And yet another example where the Tories have forgotten how to politics, they have been in government too long

Nothing the Tories do seems to improve their poll position.
    What do you think they've actually done that should be reversing their polling?
    Apologies @Luckyguy1983 I see you got there before me
  • Options
    A few weirdly homophobic posts about tonight
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,260
    Scotland gub Georgia , 12 points from 4 games and miles clear at top of group.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Labour now targeting Mid Beds and not giving the LDs a free run v the Tories
    https://twitter.com/peterkyle/status/1671077159077572608?s=20

There's a difference between making a respectable effort and making an all out effort to win. Labour will be doing the latter in Uxbridge, Selby and Rutherglen.
    HYUFD doesn't understand what tactically standing a candidate is.

In 1997 Labour stood lots of candidates, like in Winchester. But they didn't ever really try.
    Labour were a clear second in Mid Beds in 2019 not the LDs, the fact they are already putting Labour posters up looks like they are not running just a paper candidate there now.

Somerton and Frome now up for another by election where the LDs were second in 2019 suggests Labour decided to maybe only run a paper candidate there
    While Conservative hopes for an even split in the Opposition vote everywhere are natural, there is a genuine problem for non-Tories in seats like mid-Beds and the Blue Wall, where Labour is now 16 points ahead of the LDs. That includes seats where Labour clearly are the main challengers, but what is the tactically-minded voter to do if the result last time in THEIR seat was something like Mid-Beds' 60-22-13? What if it was 50-32-13? Or 40-32-23?

Where the LibDems were second, or only just behind Labour, I think many tactical voters will reckon they have a better chance in a by-election. But there does come a point where that judgment changes, and it's not easy to determine when it should.
    So even you agree that Labour will target Mid Beds
    I don't know about "even", HYUFD? - I think we both try to be objective from our different standpoints, don't we? I think Labour is having a shot at it (I get regular requests to canvass there and I am nowhere near the area) and will make a judgment in a week or 10 days based on how it's going. We can't simply surrender a second place without an effort, and it's not obvious that there is a genuine LD chance there, so tactically voting for them may be a mistake.

By contrast, as you implied, I've so far had no requests so far to help in Somerton and Frome, where the result last time was Con 56, LD 26, Lab 13, Green 5.
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 3,001

Australia traded at a high of 19.5 with thousands traded around 11 (or 10/1 in old money).

England reached a low of 1.21.

Sadly, it's usually a good strategy to bet against the patriotic choice, as people like to bet on what they want to happen...
    ohnotnow said:

Sandpit said:

Whoever wins, this is a brilliant advert for Bazball and for Test circket. They said they wanted it to be entertaining and this has served that up in spades. Well done to both England and Australia.

Absolutely, a fantastic advert for this form of the sport. Very well played by both teams, no matter what the result.
    Yawwwwnnnnn :lol:
    But someone threw a ball towards some sticks and then someone with a different stick sometimes hit the ball away from the sticks. Sometimes someone else threw the ball back at the original sticks.

Based on that someone got some numbers.

It's gripping.
    Moronic post. Piss off.
    Zzzzzzzzz
    If you don’t like the sport, nobody is making you watch it. Childish comments like the above are just ridiculous.
    Sorry - another light-hearted attempt at humour taken as venom.
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBatCorrectHorseBat Posts: 1,761
    The Tories should have kept Truss. She was a disaster but there was a tiny chance she could have won.

Sunak is too boring, unimaginative and geeky to not lose in a big way.
  • Options

EXC with @hzeffman

Labour is drawing up plans to appoint dozens of new peers

Despite Starmer criticism of Johnson honours and commitment to abolish Lords, party insiders say new working age peers will be needed if he is to govern effectively

https://twitter.com/patrickkmaguire/status/1671262625039265792

OH FUCK OFF KEIR

Didn't he say a few days ago that there would be no more honours while he was PM?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,334
    Cyclefree said:

EXC with @hzeffman

Despite Starmer criticism of Johnson honours and commitment to abolish Lords, party insiders say new working age peers will be needed if he is to govern effectively

OH FUCK OFF KEIR

Didn't he say a few days ago that there would be no more honours while he was PM?
    Are you sure he didn't say there would be no more honour?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Clark has been revelation for you. What’s going on?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Labour leads by 7% in the Blue Wall, the largest lead for Labour in these seats since 26 March.

Blue Wall VI (17-18 June):

Labour 38% (+4)
    Conservative 31% (+1)
    Liberal Democrat 22% (-4)
    Reform UK 5% (–)
    Green 4% (-1)
    Other 0% (-1)

Changes +/- 4 June

'When asked which would be a better Prime Minister between Rishi Sunak and Keir Starmer, 39% (–) of Blue Wall voters choose Rishi Sunak, and 34% (-1) choose Keir Starmer. 26% (–) say they don’t know.'
    https://redfieldandwiltonstrategies.com/latest-blue-wall-voting-intention-17-18-june-2023/
    It's interesting, isn't it? More and more people are saying they don't mind Sunak, think he's maybe better than Starmer, but oh, let's vote Labour anyway. What's happening, I think, is that a majority of voters has made a firm decision that they want a change from the Tories, unless the alternative is dreadful, and they don't either like Sunak enough or dislike Starmer enough to override that.
    Is this actually reflected in the wider polling? Every poll I've seen reported here has Sunak's personal rating falling. This one only has it static.
    Yes, I think people aren't especially keen on Sunak, they merely feel that both he and Starmer would, other things being equal, be OK. That's lukewarm in both cases, so the "time for a change" trumps it.
  • Options
    ohnotnow said:

Australia traded at a high of 19.5 with thousands traded around 11 (or 10/1 in old money).

England reached a low of 1.21.

Sadly, it's usually a good strategy to bet against the patriotic choice, as people like to bet on what they want to happen...
    ohnotnow said:

Sandpit said:

Whoever wins, this is a brilliant advert for Bazball and for Test circket. They said they wanted it to be entertaining and this has served that up in spades. Well done to both England and Australia.

Absolutely, a fantastic advert for this form of the sport. Very well played by both teams, no matter what the result.
    Yawwwwnnnnn :lol:
    But someone threw a ball towards some sticks and then someone with a different stick sometimes hit the ball away from the sticks. Sometimes someone else threw the ball back at the original sticks.

Based on that someone got some numbers.

It's gripping.
    Moronic post. Piss off.
    Zzzzzzzzz
    If you don’t like the sport, nobody is making you watch it. Childish comments like the above are just ridiculous.
    Sorry - another light-hearted attempt at humour taken as venom.
    I thought it was a perfect description of cricket, other than they are always stopping for tea and cucumber sandwiches.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Clark has been revelation for you. What’s going on?
    It cannot last, though almost impossible not to qualify now as I think they only have to beat Cyprus to be through with 4 games to go.
    I wonder where you can find out where they would play, tickets will be like hens teeth for finals.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Well if you want a change of subject I'd like to know if you've been to that infinity bridge at Honister and what you think. I intend to torture a relative with it in a couple of months and some actual experience would be handy.
    No way would you get me on that thing. Walking up a mountain is one thing and enjoyable. Trying to cross a void on some dental floss is utter madness.

But if you have a head for heights I am sure it will be very enjoyable.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,226
    kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

A welcome addition.

I suggest using bananas.
    And bread.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,077
    rcs1000 said:

Well he seems to like Putin and Xi.

Okay not really like. Just being different to everyone else in his diplomatic approach because he's French.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,139

The Tories should have kept Truss. She was a disaster but there was a tiny chance she could have won.

You don't come back from the sort of calamitous drop in support that she initiated. She sank her own intentions before they had a chance.

Going with a steady as she goes strategy from the start might have been ok. Going with a we need change strategy (despite running as the continuity Boris candidate, which is contradictory to that) might have been ok if done competently.

They've gone with the worst of both worlds by ineptly doing a we need change strategy, then switching to a steady as she goes strategy part way.

What they probably needed was Sunak to stop the rot, then be able to initiate his own bold plans once steadied. But they've never really recovered enough and his position is too weak even if he were inclined to try something now and have a year's run in to a GE.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,177
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

viewcode said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

This version of the Tories are the worst Government in British political history.

William the Bastard was a few degrees worse.
    Incorrect.
    Literal ethnic cleansing!

Apparently when he wanted to marry Matilda, she refused. So her dragged her out of mass and beat her. Later, when they were married and he was stressed about the upcoming war of conquest he was about to engage in, he kicked her. With his spurs. His wife. He kicked his wife with his spurs.

And then there's the ethnic cleansing. Did I mention the ethnic cleansing?
    William the Utter Bastard
    A boat person, though. Illegal immigrant across the English Channel. So I don't know why our more lickspittle Tories are so keen to cringe to "aristocrats" descended from the most murderous boat people of that era. Not exactly consistent.
    'To cringe to "aristocrats" descended from the most murderous boat people of that era?'

Even most of the Lords now aren't descended from William the Conqueror's top earls and commanders.

The King has more Stuart and Tudor and Hanoverian and greek blood than Plantagenet and Norman
    You said the other day most of the Lords aren't "toffs" so didn't count. Sou your reply is irrelevant. We're talking about so-called "aristicrats" here. Not the un-posh peers we get in the HoL/.
    Less than 20% of the Lords are now from the old hereditary peerage. So there is nothing to cringe to as you switch from your vile and pathetic class war mockery of those trapped in the sub in the Atlantic as they happen to be rich to attacking the remaining hereditary peers who are more likely to be running their estates and preserving them for future generations than in the House of Lords.
    Your deranged fantasy. I haven't said anything about the crew of the sub.

And as for hereditary peers - I'm not attacking them. I'm commenting on youjr Tory fantasies about the nobility of the thuggish boat people of 1066.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    rcs1000 said:

Oh, we're doing a Sturgeon again? Nodding and winking at rumors of sexualities without actually saying it out loud? When do we graduate to "ringing doors and running away"?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,334

How would things have played out if she'd stuck to her guns on no energy bailouts and been a bit more strategic about her tax cuts instead?

Perhaps she was always doomed to unravel because of her style, but it would have been interesting to see a more competent version of Trussism implemented.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,297
    viewcode said:

rcs1000 said:

Oh, we're doing a Sturgeon again? Nodding and winking at rumors of sexualities without actually saying it out loud? When do we graduate to "ringing doors and running away"?
    Next Thursday.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

EXC with @hzeffman

OH FUCK OFF KEIR

No, he said he wouldn't ask for resignation honours jimself when in due course he stepped down.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    kle4 said:

You don't come back from the sort of calamitous drop in support that she initiated. She sank her own intentions before they had a chance.

Going with a steady as she goes strategy from the start might have been ok. Going with a we need change strategy (despite running as the continuity Boris candidate, which is contradictory to that) might have been ok if done competently.

They've gone with the worst of both worlds by ineptly doing a we need change strategy, then switching to a steady as she goes strategy part way.

What they probably needed was Sunak to stop the rot, then be able to initiate his own bold plans once steadied. But they've never really recovered enough and his position is too weak even if he were inclined to try something now and have a year's run in to a GE.
    This was always Sunak's plan; the Truss interregnum didn't change his economic misery plan at all; though admittedly it gave him the mood music to get away with it.

And I think we can stop calling him some kind of steady eddy competent technocrat now that he's left Trussian gilt yield levels eating his dust. He and Hunt are the rot.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,318

Eh? Under Truss the Tories were heading for under 50 seats ie less than the LDs in 2001, 2005 and 2010.

Even now Sunak is heading for at worst about 1997 levels of Tory seats
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,730

Cut your losses vs. go for broke.

Sunak's premiership bakes in a hefty defeat, and every month that passes makes it harder to explain why 1997 isn't providing the fundamental base map for thinking about the next election.

By throwing everything up in the air, Truss opened the door to a small possibility of a remarkable triumph, albeit with the downside of a high probability of utter disaster. I'm not sure it's a gamble I want tried in a country I'm living in.

The reason it's called going for broke is that's how you mostly end up.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

viewcode said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

This version of the Tories are the worst Government in British political history.

Incorrect.

Apparently when he wanted to marry Matilda, she refused. So her dragged her out of mass and beat her. Later, when they were married and he was stressed about the upcoming war of conquest he was about to engage in, he kicked her. With his spurs. His wife. He kicked his wife with his spurs.

A boat person, though. Illegal immigrant across the English Channel. So I don't know why our more lickspittle Tories are so keen to cringe to "aristocrats" descended from the most murderous boat people of that era. Not exactly consistent.
    'To cringe to "aristocrats" descended from the most murderous boat people of that era?'

Even most of the Lords now aren't descended from William the Conqueror's top earls and commanders.

The King has more Stuart and Tudor and Hanoverian and greek blood than Plantagenet and Norman
    You said the other day most of the Lords aren't "toffs" so didn't count. Sou your reply is irrelevant. We're talking about so-called "aristicrats" here. Not the un-posh peers we get in the HoL/.
    Less than 20% of the Lords are now from the old hereditary peerage. So there is nothing to cringe to as you switch from your vile and pathetic class war mockery of those trapped in the sub in the Atlantic as they happen to be rich to attacking the remaining hereditary peers who are more likely to be running their estates and preserving them for future generations than in the House of Lords.

And as for hereditary peers - I'm not attacking them. I'm commenting on youjr Tory fantasies about the nobility of the thuggish boat people of 1066.
    Most of the aristocracy are educated, cultured and care about the land and estates they manage and the people they employ.

I may as well condemn you for lauding the thuggish William Wallace
  • Options
    WestieWestie Posts: 426
    viewcode said:

rcs1000 said:

Sturgeon's marriage was always as fake as f*ck.

As for Macron, let's hand it to him. Not only has he made Marine Le Pen look like a liberal, but he's had a drink named after him - Lockdown Knockdown Ginger Beer.
  • Options
    edited June 2023

Sunak's premiership bakes in a hefty defeat, and every month that passes makes it harder to explain why 1997 isn't providing the fundamental base map for thinking about the next election.

By throwing everything up in the air, Truss opened the door to a small possibility of a remarkable triumph, albeit with the downside of a high probability of utter disaster. I'm not sure it's a gamble I want tried in a country I'm living in.

She also crashed the markets with her Chancellor and helped cause the high interest rates we now have for mortgage holders.

There is a possibility had she remained PM the Tories would have come 4th behind the LDs and SNP as well as Labour, at least on seats if not votes.

After all why vote for a libertarian Liberal like Truss who crashes the markets when you can vote for an Orange Book Liberal Democrat like Davey who is more sensible and was part of Cameron's coalition government too anyway?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,646
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

viewcode said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Incorrect.

Most of the aristocracy are educated, cultured and care about the land and estates they manage and the people they employ.

"Freedom!"
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,756

Meanwhile, an interesting tactic tomorrow. The Government dropped its proposal to ban live exports, saying that Labour was adding tiresome amendments, and they'd come back to it when there was time in the next session. Labour has now used its Opposition Day to put forward the identical Bill, with no amendments whatever, and a proposed date for all stages of July 12.

The Government can try to vote it down, but they'd then be voting against the Bill they put forward themselves, without the excuse that it would waste Government time or that there might be tiresome amendments. If they do, they risk a substantial Tory revolt - the influential Conservative Animal Welfare Foundation with 50+ MPs may have the votes to swing it. Or the Government can just give way gracefully and get the issue done with.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-65964989

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2023/jun/20/tory-mps-expected-to-back-labour-plans-to-reintroduce-animal-welfare-bill

Good luck, Nick. Give 'em hell! (HMG not the critters.)
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

viewcode said:

rcs1000 said:

Next Thursday.
    I'll try to fit it in.

Fnaar, Fnarr.

:)
  • Options

Rishi Sunak cannot differentiate himself convincingly from Starmer in any meaningful way, or vice versa. Both offer a veneer of competence masking complete inability and/or disinclination to face up to the UK's problems, and both have a nationally-suicidal approach to Net Zero that literally no other Government in the world would even dream of adopting. Starmer will win (in the absence of a meaningful challenge from the right) because it so happens that Sunak is carrying the can at the moment.

Even coming in now, Truss would stand a better chance of victory, even if she had to start from her polling nadir. All she (or anyone else) would have to do would be to present completely obvious policies that neither Starmer nor Sunak are brave enough to do.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

@malcolmg , will you tell him about the Highland Clearances or shall I? I lack your gift for invective.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

She also crashed the markets with her Chancellor and helped cause the high interest rates we now have for mortgage holders.

There is a possibility had she remained PM the Tories would have come 4th behind the LDs and SNP as well as Labour, at least on seats if not votes.

After all why vote for a libertarian Liberal like Truss who crashes the markets when you can vote for an Orange Book Liberal Democrat like Davey who is more sensible and was part of Cameron's coalition government too anyway?
    Do explain why gilt yields under Sunak have exceeded the levels they went to under Truss?
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

@malcolmg , will you tell him about the Highland Clearances or shall I? I lack your gift for invective.

That was 300 years ago, it has about as much relevance to today's aristocracy as Wallace sacking much of Northern England.

Carnyx has already involved himself in disrespecting those on the sub in the Atlantic because they are rich he doesn't need to be encouraged anymore in his puerile repulsive class war usual chippyness by attacking today's aristocracy too
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Do explain why gilt yields under Sunak have exceeded the levels they went to under Truss?
    As it takes time to undo the damage she and Kwarteng wrecked on the economy, crashing the £, massively expanding borrowing and the deficit and starting the shift to much higher interest rates.

As I said, Truss would have led the Tories to Canada 1993 style wipeout, even a 1997 level defeat for Sunak would be better than that
  • Options
    WillGWillG Posts: 2,179
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,431
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

viewcode said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Incorrect.

William Wallace was just the type of yeoman minor nobility (Scotch version) that people like you adulate. Turning one of his enemy's skins into a baldric is just the sort of behaviour he could have learned at a minor public school, if they had existed.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

As it takes time to undo the damage she and Kwarteng wrecked on the economy, crashing the £, massively expanding borrowing and the deficit and starting the shift to much higher interest rates.

As I said, Truss would have led the Tories to Canada 1993 style wipeout, even a 1997 level defeat for Sunak would be better than that
    1. Oh dear. That makes zero sense as any sort of attempted explanation. The markets officially have less confidence in the UK's ability to pay its debts after Sunak has been working his economic charm for the best part of a year, than they did in the immediate aftermath of the so-called catastrophic mini budget. Just let that sink in.

2. No. Polls are a snapshot not a prediction. It is almost inconceivable that polling levels for the Tories wouldn't have reverted nearer average, whether Truss had stayed or gone.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,839
    kle4 said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Incorrect.

Were there many non-bastard medieval monarchs though?
    Perhaps aye, perhaps naw.

I just find it a stretch to say that Sunak's government is the worst ever.
    William the Bastard was egregiously bad, even for the time, though. I can't say confidently he was the worst, but possibly the worst of the famous ones.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

1. Oh dear. That makes zero sense as any sort of attempted explanation. The markets officially have less confidence in the UK's ability to pay its debts after Sunak has been working his economic charm for the best part of a year, than they did in the immediate aftermath of the so-called catastrophic mini budget. Just let that sink in.

2. No. Polls are a snapshot not a prediction. It is almost inconceivable that polling levels for the Tories wouldn't have reverted nearer average, whether Truss had stayed or gone.
    Under Truss the final Yougov poll under her premiership had the Tories heading for just 28 seats. The latest Yougov has them on
    157 seats
    https://docs.cdn.yougov.com/8w0a2xhvy8/TheTimes_VI_Results_221021_W.pdf

https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/fcgi-bin/usercode.py?scotcontrol=Y&CON=23&LAB=51&LIB=9&Reform=3&Green=7&UKIP=&TVCON=&TVLAB=&TVLIB=&TVReform=&TVGreen=&TVUKIP=&SCOTCON=17.4&SCOTLAB=30.7&SCOTLIB=8&SCOTReform=1.4&SCOTGreen=2.7&SCOTUKIP=&SCOTNAT=37.8&display=AllMajoritySorted&regorseat=(none)&boundary=2019nbbase

https://docs.cdn.yougov.com/ig7p3wh5fs/TheTimes_VI_230607_W.pdf

https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/fcgi-bin/usercode.py?scotcontrol=Y&CON=26&LAB=42&LIB=11&Reform=7&Green=8&UKIP=&TVCON=&TVLAB=&TVLIB=&TVReform=&TVGreen=&TVUKIP=&SCOTCON=17.4&SCOTLAB=30.7&SCOTLIB=8&SCOTReform=1.4&SCOTGreen=2.7&SCOTUKIP=&SCOTNAT=37.8&display=AllMajoritySorted&regorseat=(none)&boundary=2019nbbase
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,942
    Farooq said:

kle4 said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Incorrect.

William the Bastard was egregiously bad, even for the time, though. I can't say confidently he was the worst, but possibly the worst of the famous ones.
    William Rufus was so unpopular, that in an age where accidentally injuring the king meant an unpleasant death, they all just said that the chap who shot him… was the real victim. And did nothing.
  • Options

Farooq said:

kle4 said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Incorrect.

William Rufus was so unpopular, that in an age where accidentally injuring the king meant an unpleasant death, they all just said that the chap who shot him… was the real victim. And did nothing.
    Popularity be damned, I like to make my own judgements. In the case of William Rufus, I've got little to go on. What I have read about him has been forgotten. I have in mind he was thought a "deviant" in some way by his peers, is that the one?
  • Options
    edited June 2023

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

viewcode said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Incorrect.

William Wallace was just the type of yeoman minor nobility (Scotch version) that people like you adulate. Turning one of his enemy's skins into a baldric is just the sort of behaviour he could have learned at a minor public school, if they had existed.
    No he was a thuggish Scottish Nationalist who quite happily sacked most of northern England.

And given recent events amongst senior SNP figures you hardly are in a position to lecture about moral behaviour!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

viewcode said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Incorrect.

No he was a thuggish Scottish Nationalist who quite happily sacked most of northern England.

And given recent events amongst senior SNP figures you hardly are in a position to lecture about moral behaviour!
    ^ A Conservative actually wrote this. Incredible stuff.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,431
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

viewcode said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Incorrect.

I'm not lecturing anyone about 'moral behaviour' whatever the feck that might be, just making the obvious point that you'll drop your petit bourgeois drawers at any sniff of nobility.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,954
    I wonder if this missing submarine might bring to an end people going down to the wreck of Titanic to view and scout the sight?

I've always felt there's something in rather bad taste about people constantly visiting this site... To me it's almost like digging up someone's grave to see what's in their coffin...

Optimum result for me is that the submarine is found and everyone is saved, and then the US government put a 100 year moratorium on people visiting Titanic... And the ship and all those that perished in 1912 are finally allowed to rest in peace.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,543
    WillG said:
    What a very peculiar post.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

I wonder if this missing submarine might bring to an end people going down to the wreck of Titanic to view and scout the sight?

I've always felt there's something in rather bad taste about people constantly visiting this site... To me it's almost like digging up someone's grave to see what's in their coffin...

Optimum result for me is that the submarine is found and everyone is saved, and then the US government put a 100 year moratorium on people visiting Titanic... And the ship and all those that perished in 1912 are finally allowed to rest in peace.

I mean, the Titanic lay undiscovered for 73 years. What do you think is left of the people?
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Farooq said:

GIN1138 said:

I mean, the Titanic lay undiscovered for 73 years. What do you think is left of the people?
    Nothing. The sea took them long ago (probably within the first year in most cases) but... don't you think there's something kind of macabre about wanting to go 13,000 feet underwater to view what is in effect an enormous coffin/grave at the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean?
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    GIN1138 said:

Farooq said:

GIN1138 said:

Nothing. The sea took them long ago (probably within the first year in most cases) but... don't you think there's something kind of macabre about wanting to go 13,000 feet underwater to view what is in effect an enormous coffin/grave at the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean?
    The Titanic partakes in a number of categories. Grave is one of them. But it's also a wreck, an icon of an era, a symbol of hubris, and so much more. It's intrinsically interesting beyond its status as grave.

If someone goes there just hoping to see a body, I'd find them strange. But if someone went there because hey -- it's the Titanic! -- then that's something I can perfectly well understand.

People visit sites of battles and places like the Tower of London without it necessarily being macabre.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Farooq said:

GIN1138 said:

Farooq said:

GIN1138 said:

The Titanic partakes in a number of categories. Grave is one of them. But it's also a wreck, an icon of an era, a symbol of hubris, and so much more. It's intrinsically interesting beyond its status as grave.

If someone goes there just hoping to see a body, I'd find them strange. But if someone went there because hey -- it's the Titanic! -- then that's something I can perfectly well understand.

People visit sites of battles and places like the Tower of London without it necessarily being macabre.
    Well I wouldn't want to visit... but each to their own I guess. 😂

Anyway, hopefully the submarine is found and everyone survives this latest Titanic drama... 🙏
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,279
    Cyclefree said:

EXC with @hzeffman

OH FUCK OFF KEIR

Since Boris removed any notion of honour from the grant of a peerage, he's in the clear to pack the HoL ?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,279
    The backdrop behind this vile individual is no great surprise.
    A BBC investigation has uncovered an international network of people paying Indonesians to torture & kill baby monkeys on film

“The Torture King", American Mike McCartney, was reportedly a key distributor of the videos in the US.

Here is “The Torture King" at home in Virginia.

https://twitter.com/ChaoticVegasMan/status/1671197639386484736
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,610

Cyclefree said:

EXC with @hzeffman

OH FUCK OFF KEIR

No, he said he wouldn't ask for resignation honours jimself when in due course he stepped down.
    In the real world there is hardly going to be a political penalty for breaking a promise that he can keep right up until the day he steps down - especially since almost every PM is already discredited at that point anyway!
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,470
    Nigelb said:

The backdrop behind this vile individual is no great surprise.
    A BBC investigation has uncovered an international network of people paying Indonesians to torture & kill baby monkeys on film

“The Torture King", American Mike McCartney, was reportedly a key distributor of the videos in the US.

Here is “The Torture King" at home in Virginia.

https://twitter.com/ChaoticVegasMan/status/1671197639386484736

It really is bizarre what some people get off on.

There was a case in the U.K. 20 years ago of a group of people who filmed themselves stamping on insects and mice and torturing animals for sexual gratification.

You just think why ?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,310
    edited June 2023

Farooq said:

GIN1138 said:

Probably nothing. There will not even be skeletons. There is a little known fact that below a certain depth pressure and temperature causes calcium carbonate to redissolve into the seawater. It is known as the carbonate compensation depth or CCD. The seawater is depleted in Carbonate so it causes bone and shell to dissolve into it. I am not sure exactly what depth it occurs at as it varies but I think the Titanic is probably below that depth.
    I've only seen one picture that has any evidence of human bodies at the Titanic wreck It was of two boots on the seabed, a couple of feet apart, and angled slightly away from each other, as if the wearer had been lying on his side, with his legs apart. The body has decomposed leaving no trace, but the treated leather of the boots remains.

It was incredibly poignant.

Edit: from a quick google, it might be a myth that the boots were on a body.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

GIN1138 said:

Farooq said:

GIN1138 said:

Every time across the Atlantic by ship, you get an announcement if it’s not dead of the night and the ship passes anywhere near the spot.

Nowadays it seems a most unlikely spot for an iceberg to be knocking about in April.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,310
    GIN1138 said:

The mythos of the Titanic is such that it was inevitable that people would search for it until it was found. And once found, that the wreck would be thoroughly surveyed - like, say, the Bismarck.

Yet other deep wrecks don't seem to have this 'tourism' angle. I'm also uneasy about stuff being brought up from the wreck - but having said that, I did go to an exhibition at the museum in Greenwich which featured objects raised from the Titanic, and it was fascinating. So perhaps I'm part of the problem.

Incidentally, a friend paid a lot of money to go to dive on HMS Repulse, on which 500+ people died. It is a deep, technical dive. When he arrived on the boat and was aclimatising, he got food poisoning and could not dive...

The wreck of Repulse is being destroyed by scrap metal dealers, so diving is hardly the worst sin on that war grave.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,162

HYUFD said:

Do explain why gilt yields under Sunak have
    exceeded the levels they went to under Truss?
    Roughly speaking gilts have 3 components

- the base cost of money
    - A policy premium (to control inflation)
    - A risk premium (for crazy government)

What has happened is that Truss had a high risk premium but a low policy premium

But the market has woken up to the fact that Bailey is a bit crap. Inflation is not going down as quickly as expected to the policy premium is higher (interest rates will need to be higher for longer).

This offsets the risk premium on the government side, sp the overall gilt rate is similar
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Inflation 8.7%. Core inflation is up to 7.1%, above expectations
  • Options
    edited June 2023

HYUFD said:

Do explain why gilt yields under Sunak have
    exceeded the levels they went to under Truss?
    Roughly speaking gilts have 3 components

- the base cost of money
    - A policy premium (to control inflation)
    - A risk premium (for crazy government)

What has happened is that Truss had a high risk premium but a low policy premium

But the market has woken up to the fact that Bailey is a bit crap. Inflation is not going down as quickly as expected to the policy premium is higher (interest rates will need to be higher for longer).

This offsets the risk premium on the government side, sp the overall gilt rate is similar
    And, picking up the conv overnight, Truss only offers a theoretical chance of victory due to the high randomness assumed to apply to her electoral prospects. The mean, median and modal outcomes, had she stuck around, are all surely worse than Sunak’s.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,400
    IanB2 said:

Beginning to think these figures are meaningless. Everyone's inflation rate is different. It depends what you buy... or don't buy.
    And above whose expectations.....
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,436
    Argh that inflation figure is bad.

It's both a cost of living AND mortgage crisis

I've been banging on about the mortgage disaster for a couple of months and now it's hitting the headlines.

Really grim :(
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,322
    edited June 2023
    IanB2 said:

CPI unchanged at 8.7%

Core inflation up from 6.8% to 7.1%.

Described as "very bad news" by analyst on Times Radio, who added that interest rates are now more likely to go up by 50 basis points.
  • Options
    RattersRatters Posts: 818
    IanB2 said:

0.7% month-on-month inflation.

Really quite bad numbers. Expect short-end gilt yields to sell off (increase) today. Wonder if it brings a 0.5% rate hike tomorrow onto the table, rather than just 0.25%.

The UK is failing to get inflation under control so far.
  • Options
    Highest core inflation since 1992
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Beginning to think these figures are meaningless. Everyone's inflation rate is different. It depends what you buy... or don't buy.
    And above whose expectations.....
    Well I can only assume you are an extremely wealthy individual with no mortgage, tone deaf, or trolling?

Jeez. Seriously? I do my weekly shop and it's awful. And many of my closest relatives are in despair over their mortgage situation.*

And you think this is 'meaningless'?

* I don't have a mortgage because I don't own a house. I rent.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,730
    IanB2 said:

Wasn't this the month that was meant to be quite good as the energy price shock started to fall out of the calculation?
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Wasn't this the month that was meant to be quite good as the energy price shock started to fall out of the calculation?
    Yes, although core inflation excludes energy prices as well as food.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,322

IanB2 said:

That happened in April 2023 when CPI fell from 10.1% to 8.7% - energy price cap had risen on 1 April 2022 so that rise dropped out of comparator in April 2023.

(As per above post, energy is only in headline CPI, not core CPI).
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Ratters said:

IanB2 said:

0.7% month-on-month inflation.

Really quite bad numbers. Expect short-end gilt yields to sell off (increase) today. Wonder if it brings a 0.5% rate hike tomorrow onto the table, rather than just 0.25%.

The UK is failing to get inflation under control so far.
    These are really bad figures.

The markets aren't going to be happy. Likely to be further serious trouble with LIBOR and it's now certain the BoE will put up interest rates again, perhaps by 0.5% rather than the expected 0.25%.

I can't begin to describe the despair I'm hearing from homeowners needing to renew their mortgages.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,628
    Farooq said:

Henry VI and Richard II were remarkable for their incompetence, as was Stephen.

And don't get me started on John (serial rapist) and Richard III (infanticide).
  • Options
    BBC: As per the Office for National Statistics, here's some more detail on that headline inflation figure.

- Rising prices for air travel, recreational and cultural goods and services, and second-hand cars resulted in the largest upward contributions
    - Falling prices for motor fuel led to the largest downward contribution
    - Prices for food and non-alcoholic beverages rose in May 2023 but by less than in May 2022
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,766
    Oooh Starmer is showing me some leg and using the principle of the Windsor Agreement as some of us predicted.

Labour will go through Britain’s Brexit trade deal “page by page” to renegotiate closer economic ties with Brussels, the shadow foreign secretary has pledged.

In a speech to business leaders David Lammy said a future Labour government would seek a deal to cut checks on British food exports by agreeing to uphold EU veterinary standards.

He also suggested Labour was ready to look again at freedom of movement and would aim to strike a flexible mobility agreement to allow EU and UK citizens the right to travel for short-term business trips without requiring a visa.

The UK’s trade and co-operation agreement with the EU is due to be reopened in 2026, and Labour’s proposals would greatly increase its scope.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/labour-could-tear-up-brussels-deal-to-forge-closer-economic-links-with-europe-kbc6kvlmv
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,460
    Heathener said:

I've been banging on about the mortgage disaster for a couple of months and now it's hitting the headlines.

A friend of mine is a Chartered Accountant specialising in businesses in distress. He advises that as well as the mortgage disaster, worse will be the business disaster. Too many businesses up to their eyeballs in debt post-Covid who will be demolished by the end of their current low interest rate financing.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

Edward VIII was an actual Nazi.

King James II, when he was Duke of York, branded slaves with his initials, however he wasn't the worst Duke of York.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,071

Heathener said:

A friend of mine is a Chartered Accountant specialising in businesses in distress. He advises that as well as the mortgage disaster, worse will be the business disaster. Too many businesses up to their eyeballs in debt post-Covid who will be demolished by the end of their current low interest rate financing.
    The figures aren't great.
    There has been a certain breezy insouciance that they'll come down quickly and soon.
    They aren't doing either.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,045

Heathener said:

Expect the strikes to continue too.

BMA Consultants strike ballot closes this week.

(I am not in the BMA so not voting)
  • Options
    The things I spend a lot of money on are going up a lot, clothes & footwear, recreation & culture, and hotels & restaurants.

It's a struggle on the breadline.

• Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,460
    Meanwhile, the Tory tax is that £1 supermarket items are now £1.25

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/jun/20/grocery-supermarket-inflation-great-britain-eases-remains-high-kantar

A key point: “People are thinking more and more about what they eat and how they cook as the cost of living crisis takes its toll on traditional behaviours.

“The most prominent change we’ve seen is that people are preparing simpler dishes with fewer ingredients.”

This may not be a bad thing - simpler food with less added crap would be good for our overall health. But its being done through desperation rather than positive choice.

Meanwhile in restaurants world, the same is being done. The amount of downgrading of ingredients on restaurant menus is mind-boggling. That the cheaper ingredient is being combined with a price rise for the diner just rubs salt in the wound...
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Heathener said:

There has been a certain breezy insouciance that they'll come down quickly and soon.
    Sunak, all mouth and no trousers.
  • Options

Oooh Starmer is showing me some leg and using the principle of the Windsor Agreement as some of us predicted.

Labour will go through Britain’s Brexit trade deal “page by page” to renegotiate closer economic ties with Brussels, the shadow foreign secretary has pledged.

In a speech to business leaders David Lammy said a future Labour government would seek a deal to cut checks on British food exports by agreeing to uphold EU veterinary standards.

He also suggested Labour was ready to look again at freedom of movement and would aim to strike a flexible mobility agreement to allow EU and UK citizens the right to travel for short-term business trips without requiring a visa.

The UK’s trade and co-operation agreement with the EU is due to be reopened in 2026, and Labour’s proposals would greatly increase its scope.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/labour-could-tear-up-brussels-deal-to-forge-closer-economic-links-with-europe-kbc6kvlmv

If Labour is willing to sign up to some EU standards, such as the veterinary ones, then hopefully the current fiasco and paperwork maze for people travelling abroad with their pets will soon be brought to an end :)
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,628

ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

King James II, when he was Duke of York, branded slaves with his initials, however he wasn't the worst Duke of York.
    Edward VIII wasn't however 'the government.'
  • Options

It's interesting. I think a majority of people would take closer economic ties if it was made clear it would lead to 1. lower inflation and 2. mortgage relief

@RochdalePioneers has also just made a very good point about business so let's make that point 3.

If the Daily Mail think frothing about this is where their readership are at, then they are badly mistaken. You touch a person's home and you're politically finished.

This is no longer just about where we shop. It's about where we live.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

I know, I was adding some colour to the debate.

Would you say the abdication crisis was the UK's last proper constitutional crisis?
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Heathener said:

Sunak, all mouth and no trousers.
    To be fair, there isn't a simple solution. It isn't low interest rates that is causing inflation.

A more realistic offer on pay settlements is needed though, and most importantly a truly independent pay board rather than one stuffed with government lackeys.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,046
    Foxy said:

Heathener said:

Where I work there is a talk of a 2% pay settlement. The unions will throw it back at the clowns at the top and industrial action will follow.

Guess, this is the same everywhere?
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,470
    murali_s said:

Foxy said:

Heathener said:

Where I work there is a talk of a 2% pay settlement. The unions will throw it back at the clowns at the top and industrial action will follow.

Inflation is 8.7%, it should be.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,573
    Very poor inflation figures with a 30 year high for core inflation, food inflation still extremely high, if past its peak and the headline rate not falling.

The BoE have made such a mess of this. They assumed that the UK would be in a prolonged recession by now with inflation being squeezed out by a collapse in demand. This is just not happening.

I was in Inverness on Sunday night and the first 4 restaurants I tried did not have a table for 1. I got one in the 5th because someone had failed to appear. The bars were so full they were spilling out onto the streets. All this on a Sunday night. I appreciate it is a tourist location in mid June but a good friend of mine, who owns a fair sized business with several hotels in and around the area, tells me that they are having a record season.

Not sure if a tendency to holiday at home has built up during Covid but demand is much, much stronger than the Bank expected and this is keeping prices on an upward trend. The Bank really should increase interest rates by a half point tomorrow but my guess is that they will wimp out again and stick to a quarter.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

I know, I was adding some colour to the debate.

Would you say the abdication crisis was the UK's last proper constitutional crisis?
    I would have thought the Brexit crisis of 2017-19 would qualify. There were quite a few constitutional issues involved.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,046
    Taz said:

murali_s said:

Foxy said:

Heathener said:

Inflation is 8.7%, it should be.
    It should be what?
This discussion has been closed.