Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Sturgeon and SNP – many questions remain – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• IcarusIcarus Posts: 983
    SandraMc said:

Taz said:

Total number of candidates per party for the May elections

Greens standing in just over 40% of the seats. More than I expect3d.

https://twitter.com/electionmapsuk/status/1643655792275406850?s=61&t=s0ae0IFncdLS1Dc7J0P_TQ

It's an astonishing slate by the Greens.
    Our Green candidate in the local elections was doing house to house calls introducing herself a couple of months ago. It's been ages since anyone came round canvassing in local elections.
    Yes I have a Green standing this time in Misterton, Harborough which may not help.
    Only the Lib Dems have a full slate in Harborough - the Conservatives standing in 31 out of 34.
    2019 Misterton result:
    Conservative. 432
    Lib Dem (me) 323
    Labour 70
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,358

Don't you think the Johnson years so debased the notion of political public service that Scott Benton loses the whip for five minutes and we just shrug our shoulders? In his case fate has taken a hand and as a result of boundary changes he most likely won't be standing next time.

Someone on Twitter pointed out that the register of member interests was supposed to prevent lobbying.

Now it acts as an advertising board for MPs, as to the interests they are prepared to lobby for.
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,605

Taz said:

Total number of candidates per party for the May elections

Greens standing in just over 40% of the seats. More than I expect3d.

https://twitter.com/electionmapsuk/status/1643655792275406850?s=61&t=s0ae0IFncdLS1Dc7J0P_TQ

In one sense, it's rather more than that. They are standing in 55% of wards, but get to the lower figure due to not standing a full slate in many multi-member wards.

I slightly query RefUK's approach of essentially sitting out local elections. Candidates in under 10% of wards is pretty paltry, and it seems doubtful many will be elected. UKIP had a lot of councillors at one time (202 elected in this round of elections back in 2015) and, whilst not overstating it, it does offer a bit of a local platform and gets people into the habit of ticking the box. It was a one of many errors by ChangeUK back in 2019 too.
    Appreciate your first point, something I had overlooked. It is a good point.

I just wonder if RefUk are all piss and wind, talk a good fight but don't have the backing to stand. As someone else, sorry I forget who, mentions they will go into the next GE with a very minimal councillor base to help with the legwork.
  • RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 28,650
    edited April 2023
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

It didn't get enough attention yesterday because of the AC12 raid on Sturgeon. But the Scott Mince Benton story is beautiful. Caught red handed attempting to whore himself to a pretend gambling investor. Not just cash for questions but illegal access to unpublished reports.

What a spanner - doesn't he understand that you can't do that kind of thing? Extraordinarily he claims another 10 such lobbying operations are happening at any given time.

One of the joys of the Major era was buying the Sunday Times (which I used to do) and devouring mega scoops like the last Tory cash for questions scandal.

If I remember that and know you can't ask questions for cash, why don't actual MPs like Mr Mince?

Er, the raid was not on Ms Sturgeon, so you might want to correct that ...
    Her house! The tent is still in her garden. They arrested her husband, but they raised her house. It was all over the news M'Lud.
    Their house, yes ... but not the same thing when it comes to keeping OGH safe from the legal profession.
    I was warning yesterday that we need to be careful with contempt of court as it's stronger in Scotland.

But it is a statement of fact that there remains a big blue police tent in her garden this morning. Don't worry. Would "the AC-12 raid on Nicola Sturgeon's home" make you happier? She isn't the suspect, he is. But she does live there. Saying so - a fact - can't be contempt. Nor was describing police activities in her garden which were live on Sky News yesterday. We can't speculate about why, but we can say they are there.

Edit - I think "AC-12" is a bit of a glimmer here. AC-12 doesn't exist.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 13,025

Troubling. I hope they haven't killed the franchise.

Guardians of the Galaxy 3 soundtrack:

“Creep” (Acoustic Version) – Performed by Radiohead
    “Crazy On You” – Performed by Heart
    “Since You Been Gone” – Performed by Rainbow
    “In the Meantime” – Performed by Spacehog
    “Reasons” – Performed by Earth, Wind and Fire
    “Do You Realize??” – Performed by The Flaming Lips
    “We Care a Lot” – Performed by Faith No More
    “Koinu no Carnival” (From “Minute Waltz”) – Performed by EHAMIC
    “I’m Always Chasing Rainbows” – Performed by Alice Cooper
    “San Francisco” – Performed by The Mowgli’s
    “Poor Girl” – Performed by X
    “This Is the Day” – Performed by The The
    “No Sleep Till Brooklyn” – Performed by Beastie Boys
    “Dog Days Are Over” – Performed by Florence + The Machine
    “Badlands” – Performed by Bruce Springsteen
    “I Will Dare” – Performed by The Replacements
    “Come and Get Your Love” – Performed by Redbone

The Mowgli's what?
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,761

It didn't get enough attention yesterday because of the AC12 raid on Sturgeon. But the Scott Mince Benton story is beautiful. Caught red handed attempting to whore himself to a pretend gambling investor. Not just cash for questions but illegal access to unpublished reports.

What a spanner - doesn't he understand that you can't do that kind of thing? Extraordinarily he claims another 10 such lobbying operations are happening at any given time.

One of the joys of the Major era was buying the Sunday Times (which I used to do) and devouring mega scoops like the last Tory cash for questions scandal.

If I remember that and know you can't ask questions for cash, why don't actual MPs like Mr Mince?

Mince standards aren't what they were.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65124883
  • squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,573
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Ghedebrav said:

Ghedebrav said:

ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Importing eggs from caged hens and no longer being bound by sclerotic EU rules about animal welfare is presumably exactly what people who voted to leave the EU want the UK to be able to do.

I can’t remember the Leave Ad with Chickens in cages, can you point me to it?
    They did have one about Turkey, to be fair.
    Although that was about being given free range.
    Yes, I suppose they were always open that they wanted to end free movement, they just didn't specify that this would extend to poultry.
    Yet more Brexiteer fowl play.
    we grab your leg and pullet
    Struggling for any more poultry puns. I'll put my thinking capon.
    I should have kept my mouth shut. I'm regretting causing this eggsplosion.
    You can't help but be gallus with the puns.
    Sooner or later the quality of these puns will quail into insignificance.
  • Taz said:

Foxy said:
    Good.

Although the article doesnt say soon.

12 Free range large eggs up by another 25p at Sainsburys to £2.80 yesterday
    Good? You're OK with chickens living the worst existence of any creature on the planet so you can save a few pence at the supermarket? That is a genuinely disgusting sentiment. You should be ashamed.

You are inviting Gabriel's Banhammer.
  • It didn't get enough attention yesterday because of the AC12 raid on Sturgeon. But the Scott Mince Benton story is beautiful. Caught red handed attempting to whore himself to a pretend gambling investor. Not just cash for questions but illegal access to unpublished reports.

Don't you think the Johnson years so debased the notion of political public service that Scott Benton loses the whip for five minutes and we just shrug our shoulders? In his case fate has taken a hand and as a result of boundary changes he most likely won't be standing next time.

Perhaps Scotland has taught us that there may be consequences for those suspected of pilfering the cash register, and expect a circus bigtop to be erected in the front gardens of suspects when the police come looking for bank statements. Maybe normal service is being resumed.

Or maybe not... how has no one involved in the PPE scandal had a blue tent erected on their lawn?
    The stench of Tory corruption over PPE will be strong enough to allow for a big enquiry to be commissioned by PM Starmer.

The usual howler monkeys will screech about how Labour backed PPE companies who didn't have any PPE. Even if that was the case - and it isn't - what is the excuse for handing out £107m contracts to a company formed days ago by someone with no clue about PPE which had no clawback clauses?

When they failed to deliver useable PPE the money should have been returned. Even a boilerplate emergency contract would have that inserted into it.

No, what we have instead is open corruption. Cash for nothing, stolen from taxpayers and handed to the right people in exchange for nothing. With the excuse of "saving lives" even as the PPE shortage their unusable shit created killed medics.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,455

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Her house! The tent is still in her garden. They arrested her husband, but they raised her house. It was all over the news M'Lud.
    Their house, yes ... but not the same thing when it comes to keeping OGH safe from the legal profession.
    I was warning yesterday that we need to be careful with contempt of court as it's stronger in Scotland.

But it is a statement of fact that there remains a big blue police tent in her garden this morning. Don't worry. Would "the AC-12 raid on Nicola Sturgeon's home" make you happier? She isn't the suspect, he is. But she does live there. Saying so - a fact - can't be contempt. Nor was describing police activities in her garden which were live on Sky News yesterday. We can't speculate about why, but we can say they are there.
    THat's absolutely fine as I understand it. It's factual, saying the raid was on their house. Implying it was primarily on 'Sturgeon' and therefore Ms Sturgeon was, however inadvertently, legally dodgy, that's all.

BTW I came across a discussion of contempt that seemed well-informed - but can't remember where. It suggested that the relevant legislation applies across the UK so Scottish courts can activate it south of the border.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,314
    Nigelb said:

Or Peter Gabriel’s Sledgehammer.
  • Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

RP is entirely safe saying the raid was "on Sturgeon". It's true that Mr Murrell was the one who has been arrested, but the Police are investigating an alleged crime - nobody has been charged yet, and we'll just have to see whether anyone is and if so who. In the course of that, they executed a search warrant at the Sturgeon home.
  • GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,860

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

It's a cheeky amalgam of ACAB and 1312, which mean the same thing.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,730
    Roger said:

OT. After the defenestration of Maggie John Sergent (I think) said of Ted Heath it brings to mind the old Spanish saying 'If you sit by the river long enough the body of your enemy will come floating by'. It then became one of my favourite sayings which I have used on here before now but oddly I'd never heard it used anywhere else until this morning....

.....Nick Robinson used it in relation to the Sturgeon affair and attributed it to Sun Tzu. If correct it's quite disappointing.

The charm of the Spanish peasant sitting by the river is a big part of what makes it work. A Chinese philosopher General of the pre-Ming dynasty is something altogether less attractive

Deffo Sun Tzu, but he may just have been quoting an exisiting saying.

I'm not sure Alex Salmond gives a damn, though, as he sits patiently by the Clyde....
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551
    edited April 2023

The Guardians of the Galaxy soundtrack used to be an educational resource for youngsters. My boys would not have experienced Sweet's Fox on the Run without it.

Fine tracks no doubt, but the only history lesson I can detect is "No Sleep 'til Brooklyn" and maybe "Badlands".

Edit, I hadn't see "Since you've been gone". I think we can add that to the syllabus.
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 10,500
    Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Or Peter Gabriel’s Sledgehammer.
    You've hit the nail on the head.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,455
    edited April 2023

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

RP is entirely safe saying the raid was "on Sturgeon". It's true that Mr Murrell was the one who has been arrested, but the Police are investigating an alleged crime - nobody has been charged yet, and we'll just have to see whether anyone is and if so who. In the course of that, they executed a search warrant at the Sturgeon home.
    No, because it [edit] implies or indicates a raid primarily on Ms Sturgeon, who was not even called in for questioning. Mr Murrell is not known as Mr Sturgeon.

Edit: at this moment nobody has been charged, ergo it's a matter of potential defamation rather than contempt. So an issue for OGH.
  • algarkirk said:

Ghedebrav said:

DavidL said:

Taz said:

Foxy said:
    Good.

At the moment inflation in food is something like 15%, The government is not going to get in the road of things that bring that down sharpish. And, frankly, the EU definition of "free range" is so diluted that it will not make a huge difference.
    The exact number is 18% overall, much higher than that in various key areas, and not yet slowing any signs of slowing down...
    I'm astonished at how much our food shop - family of four, Aldi + a bit of Tesco - has gone up by. It is enforcing better habits, though (says he) I've generally been *pretty* good at avoiding waste. Making soup, batch freezing etc.

Bourbon biscuits remain a bargain though. The finest and improbably still among the cheapest.
    Same of course with Lidl. Relatively still cheap: Cheapest pasta, oats, cornflakes, cocoa, bananas, alcohol free lager (best buy for those not allowed alcohol like me), cheapest rice.

A diet which won't make you live longer, but it will feel longer.
    Good morning

One of the measures taken by food manufacturers is to reduce the size of their product whilst remaining at the same price

Also multiple packs often reduce the number to maintain the price

Maybe this helps to reduce one's weight, but compare the size of a mars bar or a twix bar a couple of years ago and the size now and it is extraordinary
  • RogerRoger Posts: 19,796
    Foxy said:

boulay said:

Foxy said:
    They were discussing on farming today this morning and it isn’t quite as simple as this.

Theoretically over the next few years Mexican eggs from caged birds can be sold in UK but it is up against more and more supermarkets refusing to sell eggs from caged birds but more importantly the cost factor for Mexican farmers.

There is a high cost for transport and with Mexican eggs about 25% cheaper at present it makes very little business sense for them to ship them to UK when they sell so many to more local markets with cheaper and quicker transport

They might end up in the powdered egg chain but v unlikely in the “fresh” egg chain.
    Yes mostly in the catering, and industrial food market rather than fresh eggs.

Here's Gove saying that we will not be dropping our standards:

https://twitter.com/cawleym1/status/1643555707881390080?t=EFyCvI9dhsPH8-_Zz8HMVQ&s=19
    Great thread. Isn't Carol Vorderman good?
  • Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

THat's absolutely fine as I understand it. It's factual, saying the raid was on their house. Implying it was primarily on 'Sturgeon' and therefore Ms Sturgeon was, however inadvertently, legally dodgy, that's all.

BTW I came across a discussion of contempt that seemed well-informed - but can't remember where. It suggested that the relevant legislation applies across the UK so Scottish courts can activate it south of the border.
    I described a raid by a fictional police anti-corruption team based in an England which looks suspiciously like Belfast. So aside from not existing and not operating in Scotland if they did exist and not having any remit in this particular affair, I understand your concern.

Back to reality there has been far less commentary on the boxes and boxes of stuff removed from SNP HQ. Are they still functional as a party machine?

The Guardians of the Galaxy soundtrack used to be an educational resource for youngsters. My boys would not have experienced Sweet's Fox on the Run without it.

Fine tracks no doubt, but the only history lesson I can detect is "No Sleep 'til Brooklyn" and maybe "Badlands".

Edit, I hadn't see "Since you've been gone". I think we can add that to the syllabus.
    A complete aside, but The Beastie Boys may the most overrated band of all time. Nearly all their songs are variations on "Knick knack paddy whack give a dog a BONE / This old man came rolling HOME".
    Republican reaction to the liberal win in Wisconsin.

https://boltsmag.org/liberals-flip-wisconsin-supreme-court/
    The high court’s new majority may strike down the state’s abortion ban and gerrymanders, but Republicans have already signalled they’ll try impeaching judges...

The hypocrisy here is quite something. Actually, that's too generous; it's pure cynicism.

You might not like the idea of judicial elections - though that is the US system - but this is the party which has seated a majority on the US Supreme Court, nominated by a President who lost the popular vote, and confirmed by Senators who represent a minority of US voters.

The lady who won in Wisconsin beat her opponent by a margin of 11%.

Ghedebrav said:

A complete aside, but The Beastie Boys may the most overrated band of all time. Nearly all their songs are variations on "Knick knack paddy whack give a dog a BONE / This old man came rolling HOME".
    I'll bet you a VW grille badge they contributed a little more than that to contemporary culture.
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 12,070

algarkirk said:

Ghedebrav said:

DavidL said:

Taz said:

Foxy said:
    Good.

At the moment inflation in food is something like 15%, The government is not going to get in the road of things that bring that down sharpish. And, frankly, the EU definition of "free range" is so diluted that it will not make a huge difference.
    The exact number is 18% overall, much higher than that in various key areas, and not yet slowing any signs of slowing down...
    I'm astonished at how much our food shop - family of four, Aldi + a bit of Tesco - has gone up by. It is enforcing better habits, though (says he) I've generally been *pretty* good at avoiding waste. Making soup, batch freezing etc.

Bourbon biscuits remain a bargain though. The finest and improbably still among the cheapest.
    Same of course with Lidl. Relatively still cheap: Cheapest pasta, oats, cornflakes, cocoa, bananas, alcohol free lager (best buy for those not allowed alcohol like me), cheapest rice.

A diet which won't make you live longer, but it will feel longer.
    Good morning

One of the measures taken by food manufacturers is to reduce the size of their product whilst remaining at the same price

Maybe this helps to reduce one's weight, but compare the size of a mars bar or a twix bar a couple of years ago and the size now and it is extraordinary
    Yes. Always price by weight not item. And, TBF, supermarket labelling tends usually to make this possible.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,631
    Nigelb said:

The high court’s new majority may strike down the state’s abortion ban and gerrymanders, but Republicans have already signalled they’ll try impeaching judges...

The hypocrisy here is quite something. Actually, that's too generous; it's pure cynicism.

You might not like the idea of judicial elections - though that is the US system - but this is the party which has seated a majority on the US Supreme Court, nominated by a President who lost the popular vote, and confirmed by Senators who represent a minority of US voters.

But apparently it's not fair to say 'Republicans bad' because reasons.
  • Ghedebrav said:

I'll bet you a VW grille badge they contributed a little more than that to contemporary culture.
    Sabotage alone is enough to grant them space on my playlist.
    DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Yousless promised us a big tent. Honestly, politicians just can’t win around here.
    His big tent didn't last, because he's clearly a fall guy.
    edited April 2023
    Roger said:

Foxy said:

boulay said:

Foxy said:
    They were discussing on farming today this morning and it isn’t quite as simple as this.

Theoretically over the next few years Mexican eggs from caged birds can be sold in UK but it is up against more and more supermarkets refusing to sell eggs from caged birds but more importantly the cost factor for Mexican farmers.

There is a high cost for transport and with Mexican eggs about 25% cheaper at present it makes very little business sense for them to ship them to UK when they sell so many to more local markets with cheaper and quicker transport

They might end up in the powdered egg chain but v unlikely in the “fresh” egg chain.

https://twitter.com/cawleym1/status/1643555707881390080?t=EFyCvI9dhsPH8-_Zz8HMVQ&s=19
    She knows Michelle personally and isn't a fan.

I'm a long term lurker. My partner complains I read your site far too often. Anyway, I'd like to just call out Foxy. Anyone with that name who wants freer range for chickens should be mistrusted.

Are you a Horse perchance?
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,327
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Yousless promised us a big tent. Honestly, politicians just can’t win around here.
    You think he will last to the fall??
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

You think he will last to the fall??
    If ever he would leave us, it wouldn't be in summer.
  • kjhkjh Posts: 11,516

I'm a long term lurker. My partner complains I read your site far too often. Anyway, I'd like to just call out Foxy. Anyone with that name who wants freer range for chickens should be mistrusted.

A very good opener for your first post. Going to be difficult to maintain. Hope you try rather than go back to lurking.
  • Roger said:

Foxy said:

boulay said:

Foxy said:

Morning Horse.
    Ha ha, I saw that in the last thread. I set that up. I'm more of a sloth than a horse. But yes no link to the Spectator alky guy or the battery bloke and their alter egos.
  • DriverDriver Posts: 4,699
    Morning all. Checked the SoPN this morning - two Tories, two Labour, two LD, one Green. No independents, nobody who actually opposes the council's disatrous policies.

So that'll be an explicit abstention then.
  • ydoethur said:

I think there's Leicester that name than meets the eye, actually.

And welcome.
    Thanks, yeah I got the pun already
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,523
    Good morning, everyone.

Welcome to PB, Mr. Fans.

Football: will be perusing the markets later today, probably. Still posting stuff over on https://enormo-haddock.blogspot.com/

Doing slightly better now I've ditched La Liga and the Bundesliga. Got 2/3 last bets right.
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,605

Roger said:

Foxy said:

boulay said:

Foxy said:

Morning Horse.
    Ha ha, I saw that in the last thread. I set that up. I'm more of a sloth than a horse. But yes no link to the Spectator alky guy or the battery bloke and their alter egos.
    ‘Spectator alky Guy’ - the mind boggles.
  • SandraMcSandraMc Posts: 675
    Is Blanche Livermore around? She posted pix of local post boxes a few days ago. I thought she might like to see one of my local post boxes.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 13,025

I would certainly add I Will Dare and This is the Day.
    And We Care a Lot is, what, over 30 years old now. That's old enough for history, surely.
    As is In the Meantime, come to that.
  • Good morning, everyone.

Welcome to PB, Mr. Fans.

Football: will be perusing the markets later today, probably. Still posting stuff over on https://enormo-haddock.blogspot.com/

Doing slightly better now I've ditched La Liga and the Bundesliga. Got 2/3 last bets right.

Thanks. It was more a parody name. I think the Salernitana odds against Inter are not terrible if you fancy Serie A. I have spent some time at the Arechi though so I'm blinded.
    Ghedebrav said:

But they were fun live. Go-go dancers in cages, that 15 foot penis (even if it looked more like a shower curtain....).

Saw them in Brum in the summer of 87. They were supporting RUN DMC. Now tell me that wasn't a concert.

Testing
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,467
    Roger said:

(snip)

Testing

As PB's relevant expert, I can definitively say that that is, indeed, a bird.

Ghedebrav said:

But they were fun live. Go-go dancers in cages, that 15 foot penis (even if it looked more like a shower curtain....).

Saw them in Brum in the summer of 87. They were supporting RUN DMC. Now tell me that wasn't a concert.
    Yeah, I'm not saying they were bad per se, and I'm sure were a lot of fun live.
  • I'm a long term lurker. My partner complains I read your site far too often. Anyway, I'd like to just call out Foxy. Anyone with that name who wants freer range for chickens should be mistrusted.

Hi Horse_B
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,761

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

I described a raid by a fictional police anti-corruption team based in an England which looks suspiciously like Belfast. So aside from not existing and not operating in Scotland if they did exist and not having any remit in this particular affair, I understand your concern.

Back to reality there has been far less commentary on the boxes and boxes of stuff removed from SNP HQ. Are they still functional as a party machine?
    It’s a concern. How will they be able to find out how many members they have?
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,420

Roger said:

(snip)

Testing

Question - do you watch birds sitting down?

If so, you might be... an Armchair Birdwatcher.

Hi Horse_B
    He does have a point, though.
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 26,226
    Nigelb said:

Given the Wisconsin ban dates from 1849 why don't the GOP use their supermajority to pass an abortion law which they deem relevant to the current world ?
  • pm215pm215 Posts: 1,091

The other thing I've noticed in the coop is that the number of price reductions, 3-for-price-of-2 offers, etc, has dropped. Some things that used to almost always be 3-for-2 no longer are.
    edited April 2023

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

It’s a concern. How will they be able to find out how many members they have?
    Intentionally or not, they have sub-contracted that task to Plod.
  • I'm a long term lurker. My partner complains I read your site far too often. Anyway, I'd like to just call out Foxy. Anyone with that name who wants freer range for chickens should be mistrusted.

Hi Horse_B
    I think someone already did that joke.

And I'll prempt the Russian troll accusations too. People who are anti vaxxers are fools. Putin is a bad man.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,503
    edited April 2023

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Fictional AC-12 also is an internal department that investigates police corruption isn't it? I suppose in the more fevered Yoon imaginings Sturgeon is/was head of police in banana republic, one party, police state Scotland..

Roger said:

(snip)

Testing

As Pb.com's resident twitcher, I would go so far as to say of the family Columbidae.
  • Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,594
    It surely can't be long before the Mail/Express launches a campaign against CPTPP and its supposed dubious food exports. That would tick a lot of boxes for its readers: Britain's unrivalled fastidiousness, Mr and Mrs Ordinary being stitched up during their weekly shop, the debatable cleanliness of foreigners etc. This has the potential to be Common Market straight bananas writ large.

Roger said:

Foxy said:

boulay said:

Foxy said:

Are you a Horse perchance?
    It's heartening to know that nearly half a million people will be reminded of yet another piece of government sleaze and chumocracy. They come so thick and fast it's too easy for government to sweep them under the carpet. Carol's a terrier.
    edited April 2023
    Have we heard when the Privileges Committee will pronounce judgment on Boris?

Not that I've become addicted to downfall drama this week, like, but I'd appreciate some idea of when I will get my next fix.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 42,507
    edited April 2023

Hi Horse_B

And I'll prempt the Russian troll accusations too. People who are anti vaxxers are fools. Putin is a bad man.
    Welcome. You don't sound (write) like anyone else on here (yet) so I have no comment on this.

However, I would say that people who don't like the government telling them what chemicals, chemicals which have been developed at an unprecedented rapid rate, they must put inside their body are not necessarily fools.

And I know, seat belts.

I do suspect that many Conservative politicians think that receiving (and making) payments for vague services is what 'business' and 'trade' is all about.
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

He'll be gone this summer though.
  • Have we heard when the Privileges Committee will pronounce judgment on Boris?

Not that I've become addicted to downfall drama this week, like, but I'd appreciate some idea of when I will get my next fix.

Late May has been suggested

Roger said:

(snip)

Testing

As Pb.com's resident twitcher, I would go so far as to say of the family Columbidae.
    I once drove over one out of a pair of doves of some kind. Not my fault guv, either run it over or swerve dangerously, but I did feel supremely guilty because the other one was left on its own. And they are very much paired animals aren't they?

Welcome back Moonrabbit.
    I'm struggling to keep up with all these supposed identifies. She was left wing but slightly racist?
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,910

Hi Horse_B

Yes but have you heard about the BA pilots?

Welcome back Moonrabbit.
    I'm struggling to keep up with all these supposed identifies. She was left wing but slightly racist?
    Only slightly? She supported Yorkshire County Cricket Club!!
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 62,023
    edited April 2023
    TOPPING said:

Roger said:

(snip)

Testing

I once drove over one out of a pair of doves of some kind. Not my fault guv, either run it over or swerve dangerously, but I did feel supremely guilty because the other one was left on its own. And they are very much paired animals aren't they?
    Yes as are pigeons and gulls
  • TOPPING said:

Hi Horse_B

Welcome. You don't sound (write) like anyone else on here (yet) so I have no comment on this.

However, I would say that people who don't like the government telling them what chemicals, chemicals which have been developed at an unprecedented rapid rate, they must put inside their body are not necessarily fools.

And I know, seat belts.
    I simplified the case for humour. was a throwaway line. Put what you like in your body but don't lie about it. Is that better?
    So, a lot of tossing is about to happen. Er, sorry, the County Championship will start in an hour.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,088
    Barclaycard has just updated its terms and conditions. Updated in a downwards direction, sfaict.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,910
    TOPPING said:

Hi Horse_B

And I know, seat belts.
    Any evidence for that? Simply not true. All testing was completed on the vaccines as per any other.
  • ydoethur said:

Welcome back Moonrabbit.
    Proud Lancastrian here. Jesus, what a horrible slur on me
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,545

I do suspect that many Conservative politicians think that receiving (and making) payments for vague services is what 'business' and 'trade' is all about.
    Partly that, but also...

You're a Conservative MP with a small majority who can read the polls. Even if the party recovers a bit, you will still be out on your ear. What's the sanction that stops you making out while you still can?

Hi Horse_B

Yes but have you heard about the BA pilots?
    Is that the one where the BA pilots are hiding the victims of vaccinations in the basement of Pizza Express in Soho?

ydoethur said:

Welcome back Moonrabbit.
    My tip for the title this year, given the quality of their squad. They were a bit unlucky that Surrey ran away with things last year.

You should therefore be seriously alarmed that they are likely to be relegated.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,272
    Cookie said:

I would certainly add I Will Dare and This is the Day.
    And We Care a Lot is, what, over 30 years old now. That's old enough for history, surely.
    As is In the Meantime, come to that.
    Felt really old when I read Blue Monday was 40 years ago.
    TOPPING said:

Hi Horse_B

And I know, seat belts.
    That's a fairly narrow expertise. Arresting, though.
    edited April 2023

TOPPING said:

Hi Horse_B

And I know, seat belts.
    I simplified the case for humour. was a throwaway line. Put what you like in your body but don't lie about it. Is that better?
    No. Not better. Why would it matter if you lied about it. Of course I would never lie about what I put in my body.

Oh and I had a bottle of Chateau Lafite 1982 for breakfast this morning.
    Interesting.

Impt scoop from @ChristopherJM : Ukraine is ready to discuss the future of Crimea if its forces reach the border of the Russian-occupied peninsula
    https://twitter.com/felschwartz/status/1643711244019302400
  • Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,267

Welcome back Moonrabbit.
    “And”, not “but”.
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Hi Horse_B

And I know, seat belts.
    No. Not better. Why would it matter if you lied about it. Of course I would never lie about what I put in my body.

Oh and I had a bottle of Chateau Lafite 1982 for breakfast.
    Are you sure it wasn’t a Rudy Kurniawan 1982?
    Labour now have a 40pt lead over the Conservatives in London Westminster VI, the highest since YouGov started tracking in 2010 (fieldwork 27-31 Mar)

Con: 18% (-5 from Jan 2022)
    Lab: 58% (+3)
    Lib Dem: 9% (=)
    Green: 7% (=)
    Reform UK: 6% (+3)

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1643894227846266880
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,523
    Mr. Fans, interesting. I'll run through all the fixtures later, time permitting. Both Milan sides have, I think, lost a few more matches than perhaps expected this season (from my limited knowledge).
    edited April 2023

Welcome back Moonrabbit.
    “And”, not “but”.
    Morning, welcome back! Hope you have been keeping well. My former colleagues have not had an easy time of it I know and I imagine it's been similar for you but it's good to see you.
  • ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Welcome back Moonrabbit.
    My tip for the title this year, given the quality of their squad. They were a bit unlucky that Surrey ran away with things last year.

That's why the phrasal verb 'to Lancs up' exists. We were never in last season. Second in the other two comps was fun too (Hundred doesn't count, sorry)

Partly that, but also...

You're a Conservative MP with a small majority who can read the polls. Even if the party recovers a bit, you will still be out on your ear. What's the sanction that stops you making out while you still can?
    Fair point but ...

... getting caught at illegal money grubbing rather tarnishes the reputation.

And while being a former MP might be good for future earnings being a disgraced former MP really wont be.

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Welcome back Moonrabbit.

That's why the phrasal verb 'to Lancs up' exists. We were never in last season. Second in the other two comps was fun too (Hundred doesn't count, sorry)
    Why be sorry? Nobody thinks the Hundred counts except the ECB, who are the DfE of the sporting world.
    Nigelb said:

Interesting.

Impt scoop from @ChristopherJM : Ukraine is ready to discuss the future of Crimea if its forces reach the border of the Russian-occupied peninsula

Depends which border… if they mean reaching the Kerch bridge…

TOPPING said:

Hi Horse_B

And I know, seat belts.
    Any evidence for that? Simply not true. All testing was completed on the vaccines as per any other.
    It was a massively contracted process. The authorities bragged about this. It is a feature not a bug. As far as you are concerned, right?
  • Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,594
    Nigelb said:

Labour now have a 40pt lead over the Conservatives in London Westminster VI, the highest since YouGov started tracking in 2010 (fieldwork 27-31 Mar)

Con: 18% (-5 from Jan 2022)
    Lab: 58% (+3)
    Lib Dem: 9% (=)
    Green: 7% (=)
    Reform UK: 6% (+3)

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1643894227846266880

Wow. What brought that about? I thought Rishi was having a relatively good time of it. Boris on TV, voters flee?
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Hi Horse_B

And I know, seat belts.
    It was a massively contracted process. The authorities bragged about this. It is a feature not a bug. As far as you are concerned, right?
    They contracted the *time* taken for the process. Not the process itself. By spending more money on people to review data etc.

So the process was quicker and more expensive.

“Waste everything except time.”
    TOPPING said:

Roger said:

(snip)

Testing

You have good reason to feel guilty. That is one of a pair that returns to my balcony in France every time I visit. Their colouring is quite distinctive and they both do exactly the same things as though one is imitating the other. Whether one is male and the other female I couldn't say. I don't have binoculars powerful enough
  • Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,267
    ydoethur said:

Welcome back Moonrabbit.
    “And”, not “but”.
    Morning, welcome back! Hope you have been keeping well. My former colleagues have not had an easy time of it I know and I imagine it's been similar for you but it's good to see you.
    Easter holidays are good…

I’m fine thanks: not been posting much as the news has been pretty dire for the last year or so and I’ve been distracting myself with other things.

Teaching is not too bad at the moment, other than an unnecessary change to the school’s main software which means I have to learn an entirely new program is we are going to have a timetable in September.
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 4,279
    Foxy said:
    British eggs from caged hens have always been available:

https://groceries.asda.com/product/caged-eggs/big-fresh-10-mixed-weight-eggs/910001228389

I think the production of eggs in smaller cages is illegal in the UK/EU but I don't think we ever banned imports.

Whether banning the imports of eggs not meeting UK cage size and treatment standards would break any agreements (including the CPTPP) I don't know.

Fresh eggs will be off the table anyway, not only because of the transport costs, but because Mexico is unlikely to start immunising chickens against Salmonella which all major outlets in the UK require. Same reason we don't have many continental eggs now (did we ever?)

As other posters point out, the pasturised / powdered egg supply chain is another matter.

Nigelb said:

Interesting.

Depends which border… if they mean reaching the Kerch bridge…
    It's a sensible piece of pre-negotiation.

The invasion has to be defeated, decisively, or the conflict might go on for many years. This potentially gives Russia a way to accept defeat, and agree conditions for some sort of stable co-existence.

Of course they need defeating militarily first, and that is not a given.
  • ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Welcome back Moonrabbit.

Why be sorry? Nobody thinks the Hundred counts except the ECB, who are the DfE of the sporting world.
    So I've a friend in Mcr, who's about to resign. He's a man of colour from an EU country and is having a pretend sick day. I suggested he might pop down for the game, maybe even with my cousin to introduce him. But a cold sunny Manchester in April is less likely to entice him than the 100. I'd go but I'm in (Historic) Essex (end of Victoria Line)

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Hi Horse_B

And I know, seat belts.
    They contracted the *time* taken for the process. Not the process itself. By spending more money on people to review data etc.

So the process was quicker and more expensive.

“Waste everything except time.”
    Yes I'm sure it was fantastic. No doubts whatsoever. But it was a hugely contracted process to develop a vaccine vs usual. Trebles all round.

But it was a hugely contracted process.

What are the 2yr-, 5yr- and 10yr effects. Oh it doesn't matter because the side effects manifest immediately.
This discussion has been closed.