Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Labour’s useless strategy? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,272

dixiedean said:

What is Suella actually planning to do about “British Pakistani” grooming gangs?

We need a word for a dog whistle that everyone can totally hear.

It will be interesting to see what Labour does on the proposed Bill.

There is, as you say, the dog whistle about British-Pakistani gangs. How does Labour react to that? Factually - when it comes to grooming gangs as opposed to child abuse in general - the evidence is there. Does Labour accuse the Government of racism? Probably not going to well received in the towns involved. I suspect Labour will make muted criticism but make clear to the British-Pakistani communities (which are key to its vote in many seats eg Batley and Spen) that it will be amended if they win power.

However, there is another angle here. Where this Bill is really targeted at is Labour's middle class public sector block - the social workers, teachers and those who deal with children in related areas. What it's threatening to do is target directly this very influential part of Labour's voting bloc by threatening them with the sack or prison.

From a policy standpoint, it's actually good that people who kept silent because they were more concerned about being accused of racism and / or their political views now run personal risk. From a political viewpoint, it could be quite successful.
    Threatening social workers and teachers with the sack or prison?
    Is that the free market response to desperately short staffed professions?
    Still. Anything to get the Tories re-elected is far more important than the welfare of children after all.
    For the record I support mandatory reporting. It already exists in practice.
    I spend more time on CPOMS than on marking.
    In Rotherham the social services boasted, in internal emails, of destroying evidence, so they would face no action.
    Yes but.
    That was years ago.
    If it is still happening now, then the Tories have had 13 years to sort it out.
    Also. Who exactly are "social services"?
    You are talking about managers not frontline social workers. They wouldn't have the admin privileges to remove anything.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 38,159
    Leon said:

Tres said:

Is she talking about Humza?

Braverman's top priority in the Home Office is to get the tabloids to replace the shorthand of ‘Asian grooming gangs’ with 'British Pakistani grooming gangs'.
    Well it would

1. Be more accurate

and

2. Be less unfair to "Asian males" - from China, Japan, Taiwan, etc etc - who have never been convicted of this crime
    India, Sri Lanka, Thailand as well.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,866
    Sean_F said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

I assumed it was Liz Truss…
    How many "brothels" are there in London?

Massage parlours, aye. Houses divided into apartments for, ahem, single ladies in Warren Street or Bayswater or maybe even Shepherd's Market

Flat sharing Romanian girls in Wood Green. Yup. Saunas? Yup

But proper rococo-and-champagne, dungeon chamber and pretend railway carriage, chaise-longue, caviar, asparagus-soup and Edwardian kingly three way fellatio love seat brothels??

None, that I know of
    Nobody of sound mind and good character will be replying to this.
    OMG you know the answer, don't you?
    I’ve never forgotten your description of that bar in Bangkok with the glass ceiling, where Japanese
    tourists stare upwards at young Thai women, dancing around with no knickers, while dressed as schoolgirls.
    Is it a Wetherspoons?
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,420
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

What is Suella actually planning to do about “British Pakistani” grooming gangs?

There is, as you say, the dog whistle about British-Pakistani gangs. How does Labour react to that? Factually - when it comes to grooming gangs as opposed to child abuse in general - the evidence is there. Does Labour accuse the Government of racism? Probably not going to well received in the towns involved. I suspect Labour will make muted criticism but make clear to the British-Pakistani communities (which are key to its vote in many seats eg Batley and Spen) that it will be amended if they win power.

However, there is another angle here. Where this Bill is really targeted at is Labour's middle class public sector block - the social workers, teachers and those who deal with children in related areas. What it's threatening to do is target directly this very influential part of Labour's voting bloc by threatening them with the sack or prison.

From a policy standpoint, it's actually good that people who kept silent because they were more concerned about being accused of racism and / or their political views now run personal risk. From a political viewpoint, it could be quite successful.
    Still. Anything to get the Tories re-elected is far more important than the welfare of children after all.
    In Rotherham the social services boasted, in internal emails, of destroying evidence, so they would face no action.
    Yes but.
    That was years ago.
    You are talking about managers not frontline social workers. They wouldn't have the admin privileges to remove anything.
    See the police - the “wrong” facts don’t get reported. Entering a report in the system against the wishes of management would be an outright declaration of war.

Each time Home Sec has changed, since Rotherham, within minutes of the Home sec leaving the building, emails have been sent about pushing for a more “sensitive handling of the issue”.

A chap I know has been copying them offline to publish in his book, when he retired.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,545

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

If you deliberately turn your eyes away from a child being abused for whatever reason, then you shouldn't be in the job. I would have thought that would be quite easy to understand.
    It is. And it doesn't happen.
    What happens is stuff is reported endlessly and then there isn't the staffing, funding or will to prioritise anything. Nor even for anyone to read the entirety of CPOMS and join the dots.
    Because everyone's caseloads are way too high.
    I am on CPOMS reporting concerns every single day.
    Does anyone read them? Not until after a catastrophic event.
    Because the government isn't prepared to pay for it.
    Sounds like a job for AI.
    Would help process and prioritise the issues, but if it follow up resources aren't there, they're not there.

Like the Laughing Gas Ban, this is another "Bad things (prevention by saying so)" law.

If only it were so easy.
    edited April 2023

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Yes but.
    That was years ago.
    See the police - the “wrong” facts don’t get reported. Entering a report in the system against the wishes of management would be an outright declaration of war.

Each time Home Sec has changed, since Rotherham, within minutes of the Home sec leaving the building, emails have been sent about pushing for a more “sensitive handling of the issue”.

A chap I know has been copying them offline to publish in his book, when he retired.
    Absolutely nobody checks what I enter into the system.
    That's the problem.
    We've been raising causes for concerns about children since September, especially about mental health (in particular overtly and age inappropriate sexual conversation). They're still on waiting lists for even preliminary assessment appointments.

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

If you deliberately turn your eyes away from a child being abused for whatever reason, then you shouldn't be in the job. I would have thought that would be quite easy to understand.
    What happens is stuff is reported endlessly and then there isn't the staffing, funding or will to prioritise anything. Nor even for anyone to read the entirety of CPOMS and join the dots.
    Sounds like a job for AI.
    Would help process and prioritise the issues, but if it follow up resources aren't there, they're not there.

Like the Laughing Gas Ban, this is another "Bad things (prevention by saying so)" law.

If only it were so easy.
    Mandatory reporting under legal sanction is standard, in financial services. For stuff involving just money.

Why not the same rules for other crimes, in other places?
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 7,904
    Two random Sunday thoughts:

- Was at a party last night and they had both Palestinian flags and Ukrainian flags up on the walls. Corbynism is dead.

- "Gentrification" is just a whiny way to say "much improved". We need a more specific word for when cool independent shops are priced out by Starbucks, however.
  • ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,252
    Eabhal said:

- Was at a party last night and they had both Palestinian flags and Ukrainian flags up on the walls. Corbynism is dead.

- "Gentrification" is just a whiny way to say "much improved". We need a more specific word for when cool independent shops are priced out by Starbucks, however.

Homogenisation?
  • dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

It is not a resource issue, it's the fact that managers in Rotherham deliberately ignored, and actually destroyed, evidence so they wouldn't have to deal with the issue. They had the information there, they could have acted on it and they chose not to.

Did you not read the conclusions of the Rotherham report or have you just chosen to ignore them because it doesn't fit in with your views.

However, your answer gives a clue as to how Labour (depressingly) will deal with this. There will be some vague generic comments about it being terrible girls being abused before going onto a far more detailed commentary as to how this is a resource issue and it is cruel to target overworked public workers who are just trying to do their best.

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

It is not a resource issue, it's the fact that managers in Rotherham deliberately ignored, and actually destroyed, evidence so they wouldn't have to deal with the issue. They had the information there, they could have acted on it and they chose not to.

Did you not read the conclusions of the Rotherham report or have you just chosen to ignore them because it doesn't fit in with your views.

However, your answer gives a clue as to how Labour (depressingly) will deal with this. There will be some vague generic comments about it being terrible girls being abused before going onto a far more detailed commentary as to how this is a resource issue and it is cruel to target overworked public workers who are just trying to do their best.
    In Rotherham, on one occasion, the Police caught a gang in the act. Literally.

They arrested the girl for being drunk in a public place, IIRC
  • dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Yes but.
    That was years ago.

That's the problem.
    We've been raising causes for concerns about children since September, especially about mental health (in particular overtly and age inappropriate sexual conversation). They're still on waiting lists for even preliminary assessment appointments.
    I don't know about your local authority but I have direct involvement in this area and I can tell you this that every single incident which has been flagged gets followed up and checked. And this is not in a well-funded authority.

I suspect it's more about attitude than resources.
    Eabhal said:

Not a single person has responded positively to my suggestion about dealing with gentrification - get out there, sell some drugs, rob some people.

Is it something I said?
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,759
    pigeon said:

I'm delighted to see that the subtle SNP fish puns can continue under Humza Yousaf's leadership.

Except that the district of Glasgow and the fish are spelt differently. Deeply unimpressed.
    Are you a homophonephobe ?
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,240

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

Is it only 80 miles from Glasgow to Dundee?
    If asked I'd have guessed much further.

Why isn’t Glasgow closer to Dundee after 16 years of SNP misrule?
    Humza must explain.
    In some respects they are close:

Dundee City had the highest age-standardised drug misuse death rate of all local authority areas (45.2 per 100,000 population for the 5-year period 2017-2021), followed by Glasgow City (44.4)

https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/files/statistics/drug-related-deaths/21/drug-related-deaths-21-report.pdf

And you’re right, Humza must explain.
    Presumably only to the voters of Scotland rather than the residents of distant tax havens?
    Oh do keep up - I’ve been living in the U.K. for 18 months. Is that the best you’ve got?
    Apologies, not been keeping up with your whereabouts, that would be a bit weird and stalky.
    Still not a voter in Scotland though, despite your torrential posting on your second favourite subject?
    Also, "I've been a tax evader for all but the last 18 months" doesn't quite work as a chat line, does it?
    Actually, one of the many tedious Yoon bleats regards the generous taxation outwith the Scottish Soviet, so technically rUK could be described as a tax haven. I’m sure there’ll always be a spare room for Roddy Dunlop QC at Schloss Carlotta.
    You seem to be in a relentlessly bad mood these last weeks. Weird
    Oh dear, my reputation as PB’s Pollyanna at risk?

Istr acerbic was an adjective you once applied to me, in amongst the Nit, anti English, racist, paedo patter. Nothing has changed in that regard.
    You've never been a ray of sunshine, more a Scotsman with a grievance, and I have always found it easy to distinguish between these two thing, however you used to leaven the remorseless bitterness and Anglophobic inferiority complex with wry anecdotes, stories of your past, stuff about selling hats to Geo Galloway, which I rather enjoyed. These seem to have disappeared of late

Also, you have a mordant wit, which you unfortunately hiding. I trust it will return
  • squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,573

boulay said:

There was a chat not so long ago about female sports pundits and commentators. I said I didn't think most of them were any good, but singled out Alison Mitchell from TMS for high praise

I'd like to add Vicki Sparks to that (still short) list

I had R5 on in the van yesterday and heard some of her commentary of the Chelsea Villa game. I hadn't realised quite how good she is

She's as fluent, knowledgeable and passionate as any of the other commentators

She could host MOTD

She makes my ears bleed. I’ve never heard such a terrible voice and at such volume - she clearly knows her stuff but when radio is a medium that relies on sound only it’s impossible to listen to.
    I think she has lovely and very clear voice
    She's very shouty and over excitable. A sort of lady football version of Ian Robertson.
    I agree
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,088
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Massage parlours, aye. Houses divided into apartments for, ahem, single ladies in Warren Street or Bayswater or maybe even Shepherd's Market

But proper rococo-and-champagne, dungeon chamber and pretend railway carriage, chaise-longue, caviar, asparagus-soup and Edwardian kingly three way fellatio love seat brothels??

None, that I know of
    Railway carriage?

Railway carriage?!

I'll accept "sheltered life" and "embittered commuter" as answers, but...

Railway?
    Carriage?
    Yes

"Catering to all fetishes, each of the 22 rooms were inspired by a different time and place. A pirate room featured a mechanical boat swing and water jets that sprayed clients and courtesans as they did the dirty. An Orient Express room allowed patrons to live out their fantasies of sex on a train inside a replica of a bouncing carriage with a railway soundtrack."

https://www.messynessychic.com/2012/12/11/inside-the-paris-brothels-of-the-belle-epoque/

I once wrote a Gazette article about the great Paris brothels of the Belle Epoque and spent a week doing research in the City of Love. I even tracked down King Edwards's Notorious Three Way love seat - I found the last auctioneer to sell it in the 1990s, to a "private buyer", and he was tempted to introduce me to the owner so I could see it.... but in the end he said No. However when I asked if "the seat is still being used" he smiled and said "Oui, naturellement"

True story
    Mentioned in last night's Edward VII documentary on Channel 5, I think.
    MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Tres said:

Is she talking about Humza?

Braverman's top priority in the Home Office is to get the tabloids to replace the shorthand of ‘Asian grooming gangs’ with 'British Pakistani grooming gangs'.
    Well it would

1. Be more accurate

and

2. Be less unfair to "Asian males" - from China, Japan, Taiwan, etc etc - who have never been convicted of this crime
    India, Sri Lanka, Thailand as well.
    Yes, Braverman is just stating uncomfortable facts. This problem is rooted in (but not entirely limited to) gangs of British Pakistani Muslim males. That is simply the case. And there are elements of racism and misogyny at work. Calling the girls "white whores", "kaffir slags", "white meat". This is all in the various reports. No one is making this up

Moreover, it is estimated that TENS of thousands of girls - maybe more than a hundred thousand - have been abused, raped, tortured, even occasionally murdered. It is absolutely the greatest social scandal of British post war history.

I hope that future generations will look back at our feeble cowardice and grotesque complacency, our total inability to confront the issue head on, with brutal contempt. We will deserve it
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551
    I'd normally jump on any opportunity to call out a Tory, but this doesn't really float my boat, even if it was BigDog.

What people do in private is entirely there own affair unless it is illegal or impacts negatively on others.
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Sorry.
    But your patronising "did you not read the Rotherham report?" has closed down this conversation.
    Yes I have, I've read all of them and far more than just the conclusions. I've been on endless very distressing training days too, and worked with some of the girls and boys involved too. They're all grown adults now because it was quite some time ago.
    Sorry I don't agree with you.
    If you think it's not a resource issue, well you're welcome to donate your expertise at the going rate to sort it all out.
    It is not "quite some time ago"

It is still happening. There are multiple reports of it

"Grooming gangs still abusing girls a decade after Rochdale scandal, says whistleblower
    A former detective says the police and authorities are still failing to take the matter seriously and are continuing to let victims down"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/02/11/grooming-gangs-still-abusing-girls-decade-rochdale-scandal-says/#:~:text=Grooming gangs still abusing girls a decade after Rochdale scandal, says whistleblower,-A former detective&text=Child sex abuse perpetrated by,a new documentary has claimed.

"Children are still being sexually exploited by grooming gangs in all parts of England and Wales in the “most degrading and destructive ways”, a report has found."

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/grooming-gangs-child-sex-abuse-b2004963.html

But you want to wish it all away. As ever. "It's all in the past, let's move on"
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551
    Leon said:

None, that I know of
    You write with great and authentic authority. Thank you.

It's a long, long, long while since I frequented the late YabYum club in Amsterdam, so I know not of such affairs.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,731
    Leon said:

Leon said:

None, that I know of
    Railway carriage?

Railway carriage?!

Railway?
    Carriage?
    Yes

"Catering to all fetishes, each of the 22 rooms were inspired by a different time and place. A pirate room featured a mechanical boat swing and water jets that sprayed clients and courtesans as they did the dirty. An Orient Express room allowed patrons to live out their fantasies of sex on a train inside a replica of a bouncing carriage with a railway soundtrack."

https://www.messynessychic.com/2012/12/11/inside-the-paris-brothels-of-the-belle-epoque/

I once wrote a Gazette article about the great Paris brothels of the Belle Epoque and spent a week doing research in the City of Love. I even tracked down King Edwards's Notorious Three Way love seat - I found the last auctioneer to sell it in the 1990s, to a "private buyer", and he was tempted to introduce me to the owner so I could see it.... but in the end he said No. However when I asked if "the seat is still being used" he smiled and said "Oui, naturellement"

True story
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Sorry.
    But your patronising "did you not read the Rotherham report?" has closed down this conversation.
    Yes I have, I've read all of them and far more than just the conclusions. I've been on endless very distressing training days too, and worked with some of the girls and boys involved too. They're all grown adults now because it was quite some time ago.
    If you think it's not a resource issue, well you're welcome to donate your expertise at the going rate to sort it all out.

"Grooming gangs still abusing girls a decade after Rochdale scandal, says whistleblower
    A former detective says the police and authorities are still failing to take the matter seriously and are continuing to let victims down"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/02/11/grooming-gangs-still-abusing-girls-decade-rochdale-scandal-says/#:~:text=Grooming gangs still abusing girls a decade after Rochdale scandal, says whistleblower,-A former detective&text=Child sex abuse perpetrated by,a new documentary has claimed.

"Children are still being sexually exploited by grooming gangs in all parts of England and Wales in the “most degrading and destructive ways”, a report has found."

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/grooming-gangs-child-sex-abuse-b2004963.html

But you want to wish it all away. As ever. "It's all in the past, let's move on"
    Interesting juxtaposition of enthusing over brothels, which we all know are full of trafficked young girls often of different cultures, whilst condemning Grooming gangs.
    Eabhal said:

There is a further level of gentrification when an area gets so wealthy the local landlords drive away all the chain coffee shops, and bring in bespoke Amish jewellers and independent sherry sellers and specialists in Greek cheeses and the like

It's happened in Marylebone High Street (the De Walden Estate) and I see it has also happened in Store Street Bloomsbury (the Russell Estate)

Perhaps it could be called Maryleboning

"Ah, I see your high street has been Maryleboned. Lucky you"

• IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,572
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,503
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

Is it only 80 miles from Glasgow to Dundee?
    If asked I'd have guessed much further.

Why isn’t Glasgow closer to Dundee after 16 years of SNP misrule?
    Humza must explain.
    In some respects they are close:

Dundee City had the highest age-standardised drug misuse death rate of all local authority areas (45.2 per 100,000 population for the 5-year period 2017-2021), followed by Glasgow City (44.4)

https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/files/statistics/drug-related-deaths/21/drug-related-deaths-21-report.pdf

And you’re right, Humza must explain.
    Presumably only to the voters of Scotland rather than the residents of distant tax havens?
    Oh do keep up - I’ve been living in the U.K. for 18 months. Is that the best you’ve got?
    Apologies, not been keeping up with your whereabouts, that would be a bit weird and stalky.
    Still not a voter in Scotland though, despite your torrential posting on your second favourite subject?
    Also, "I've been a tax evader for all but the last 18 months" doesn't quite work as a chat line, does it?
    Actually, one of the many tedious Yoon bleats regards the generous taxation outwith the Scottish Soviet, so technically rUK could be described as a tax haven. I’m sure there’ll always be a spare room for Roddy Dunlop QC at Schloss Carlotta.
    You seem to be in a relentlessly bad mood these last weeks. Weird
    Oh dear, my reputation as PB’s Pollyanna at risk?

Istr acerbic was an adjective you once applied to me, in amongst the Nit, anti English, racist, paedo patter. Nothing has changed in that regard.
    You've never been a ray of sunshine, more a Scotsman with a grievance, and I have always found it easy to distinguish between these two thing, however you used to leaven the remorseless bitterness and Anglophobic inferiority complex with wry anecdotes, stories of your past, stuff about selling hats to Geo Galloway, which I rather enjoyed. These seem to have disappeared of late

Also, you have a mordant wit, which you unfortunately hiding. I trust it will return
    Well, you used to be ***** and ****** and ******* and *****, and are still also ******. Things change but mysteriously stay the same.
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

None, that I know of
    Railway carriage?

Railway carriage?!

Railway?
    Carriage?
    Yes

True story
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Sorry.

Interesting juxtaposition of enthusing over brothels, which we all know are full of trafficked young girls often of different cultures, whilst condemning Grooming gangs.
    Interesting how you focus on my historical knowledge of the famous Tolerated Houses of pre-WW2 Paris, while completely ignoring the rape and abuse of maybe 100,000 girls in the UK, happening right now, mainly by British Pakistani Muslim males
  • sladeslade Posts: 1,989
    I watched Treasures of the World last night with Bettany Hughes. It featured one of my favourite places - Oman. I was aware of the frankincense trade and the fabulous geology but I did not know of its historic role in the development of copper. Furthermore they have a rock type that absorbs carbon dioxide and are planning a project that will take out the equivalent of the annual output of Germany and France combined. Hope it works.
    slade said:

I watched Treasures of the World last night with Bettany Hughes. It featured one of my favourite places - Oman. I was aware of the frankincense trade and the fabulous geology but I did not know of its historic role in the development of copper. Furthermore they have a rock type that absorbs carbon dioxide and are planning a project that will take out the equivalent of the annual output of Germany and France combined. Hope it works.

I have personally gathered frankincense - which is just dried resin - from the gnarled trees of the Empty Quarter in Oman, under the burning Arabian sun

It sounds much more exciting than it is. You drive ten hours to get there, see some fucked up old trees, drive back. They don't call it the Empty Quarter for nothing
    Ukrainian assassins?

"Russian channels are saying there was an explosion in a cafe in St. Petersburg where well-known Russian mil blogger/combatant Vladlen Tatarsky was holding an event. There are reports that he was killed. "

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1642559067133562880?s=20
    edited April 2023
    Leon said:

Eabhal said:

There is a further level of gentrification when an area gets so wealthy the local landlords drive away all the chain coffee shops, and bring in bespoke Amish jewellers and independent sherry sellers and specialists in Greek cheeses and the like

It's happened in Marylebone High Street (the De Walden Estate) and I see it has also happened in Store Street Bloomsbury (the Russell Estate)

Surely, the critical point is where Guardian journalists can’t afford it.

“I hear the high street is Post Guardian”

“Yup”
    Leon said:

Ukrainian assassins?

"Russian channels are saying there was an explosion in a cafe in St. Petersburg where well-known Russian mil blogger/combatant Vladlen Tatarsky was holding an event. There are reports that he was killed. "

Ugh.
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Sorry.

As suggested years ago, they should tackle the gangs for whatever they can get them for, like Al Capone's income tax. Note that in your linked report, these cases have been reported to the police, so the government mandating reporting (subject to consultation) is neither here nor there.
  • ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 3,533

Eabhal said:

Not a single person has responded positively to my suggestion about dealing with gentrification - get out there, sell some drugs, rob some people.

Is it something I said?
    Many years ago when I first moved here it was a very pleasing mix of drug users and IRA pubs. And just a week or two ago a 'Kimchi and Poetry Library' opened up.

The place has gone to the dogs I tell you.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,759
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

None, that I know of
    Railway carriage?

Railway carriage?!

Railway?
    Carriage?
    Yes

True story
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Sorry.

I expect that there was not much trafficking in the high class places. These were well-paid courtesans.

In general, I think the medieval Church was right to treat prostitution as a necessary evil, and to regulate it.
    Sean_F said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

None, that I know of
    Railway carriage?

Railway carriage?!

Railway?
    Carriage?
    Yes

True story
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Sorry.

I expect that there was not much trafficking in the high class places. These were well-paid courtesans.

In general, I think the medieval Church was right to treat prostitution as a necessary evil, and to regulate it.
    Yes, posh people's brothels are obviously fine and dandy places staffed after adverts on LinkedIn and rigorous background checks. Completely different to downmarket ones.
    Leon said:

Ukrainian assassins?

Ugh.
    ohnotnow said:

Eabhal said:

Is it something I said?
    Many years ago when I first moved here it was a very pleasing mix of drug users and IRA pubs. And just a week or two ago a 'Kimchi and Poetry Library' opened up.

The place has gone to the dogs I tell you.
    IRA pubs - ha, you urban hippy.

We drank in an authentic Loyalist bar (including in our group some actual Irish Catholics). This provided endless fun. Especially when the American Plastic Paddy put a bunch of money in the collecting tin. She had managed not to notice it was all a bit Protestant…

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Yes but.
    That was years ago.

That's the problem.
    We've been raising causes for concerns about children since
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Sorry.

Far, far from it.
    You think I don't know there are grooming gangs active and want to pretend otherwise?
    Why the fuck would I do that? What would be my motivation?
    I actually have worked in this area. I've read the reports. Not just the conclusions.
    Rotherham was some time ago. All procedures have been changed. That's why we know about so much of this.
    More abuse still takes place within families. Often nice, white middle class ones.
    The question is what do we do about it?
    The government's mandatory reporting is about 15 years overdue.
    And is still as good as useless if there aren't the resources to follow it up.
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,274

Braverman is a Trump understudy, alright.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,545

Leon said:

Eabhal said:

“Yup”
    Better or worse than when Sunday Times journos can't afford it?

It was when my friends and I began composing a simpering personal statement just to rent a flat that it finally clicked for me: Britain’s rental market is broken. “Hello! We are Laura, Matt and Katie, three professional sharers all working in the media,” we told the landlord, after a prompt from the estate agent that we needed to stand out from the competition with a Ucas-style covering letter...

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/26b24534-d098-11ed-85a8-caaa67d15364?shareToken=b882b8b7d17010dfe117e5afed1c6ad7

To be fair, they have a point.
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Yes but.
    That was years ago.

That's the problem.
    My wife is fairly recently retired, but that sounds pretty similar to her experience in a large primary school in a quite socially deprived area.
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Yes but.
    That was years ago.

That's the problem.
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Sorry.

Far, far from it.
    You think I don't know there are grooming gangs active and want to pretend otherwise?
    I actually have worked in this area. I've read the reports. Not just the conclusions.
    Rotherham was some time ago. All procedures have been changed. That's why we know about so much of this.
    More abuse still takes place within families. Often nice, white middle class ones.
    "It was quite some time ago" was just an unfortunate phrase, then. Hmm. Fair enough
    Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

None, that I know of
    Railway carriage?

Railway carriage?!

Railway?
    Carriage?
    Yes

True story
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Sorry.

Yes, posh people's brothels are obviously fine and dandy places staffed after adverts on LinkedIn and rigorous background checks. Completely different to downmarket ones.
    Have you ever been in a brothel??
  • TresTres Posts: 2,648
    you still hiss at women wearing hijabs?
  • Leon said:

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

None, that I know of
    Railway carriage?

Railway carriage?!

Railway?
    Carriage?
    Yes

True story
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Sorry.

Have you ever been in a brothel??
    No, but we're awaiting your review of the top 5 in next week's Spectator.

Leon said:

Eabhal said:

“Yup”

It was when my friends and I began composing a simpering personal statement just to rent a flat that it finally clicked for me: Britain’s rental market is broken. “Hello! We are Laura, Matt and Katie, three professional sharers all working in the media,” we told the landlord, after a prompt from the estate agent that we needed to stand out from the competition with a Ucas-style covering letter...

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/26b24534-d098-11ed-85a8-caaa67d15364?shareToken=b882b8b7d17010dfe117e5afed1c6ad7

They managed to avoid the issue.

There are 28 million households in the U.K.

There are 27 million dwellings in the U.K.
    This is (from Oct 2022) worth reading.

The Report of the Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse
    https://www.iicsa.org.uk/reports-recommendations/publications/inquiry/final-report/executive-summary.html
    Seeing as we are talking about our favourite drinks, can I just recommend the Marks and Spencer own brand (but actually Lustau: a great sherrymaker) Palo Cortado sherry

£8 a half bottle. It is totally superb. Rich yet dry, aromatic and intense, delicate and succulent

For comparison the only-slightly-better Lustau 30 year old VROS Palo Cortado costs £50 for a pint-bottle

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lustau-Year-Vors-Oloroso-Sherry/dp/B00Z6BU7BK
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Yes but.
    That was years ago.

That's the problem.
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Sorry.

Far, far from it.
    "It was quite some time ago" was just an unfortunate phrase, then. Hmm. Fair enough
    Perhaps it was in hindsight.
    It wasn't meant to minimise any of it at all.
    But to emphasise that all training and procedures are now seen through the prism of Rotherham. That's why so many more grooming gangs are now being uncovered.
    I'm going to stop talking about this topic now.
    I've never mentioned it on this forum before, as it's a bit too close to the bone for me, and I didn't think I could keep my emotions in check and would start rowing with folk.
    And so I have.
    So I'll cut it out now and re-impose silence.
  • EPGEPG Posts: 6,637
    Thank goodness you found a plaice for the puns.
    dixiedean said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Yes but.
    That was years ago.

That's the problem.
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Sorry.

Far, far from it.
    But to emphasise that all training and procedures are now seen through the prism of Rotherham. That's why so many more grooming gangs are now being uncovered.
    I've never mentioned it on this forum before, as it's a bit too close to the bone for me, and I didn't think I could keep my emotions in check and would start rowing with folk.
    And so I have.
    I sensed personal anguish which I why I said Fair Enough. It was just the wrong phrase: understood

You do sound quite stressed and I have sympathy for anyone in education dealing with the huge overhang of nightmares produced by covid/lockdown etc

Good luck
  • DoubleCarpetDoubleCarpet Posts: 812
    edited April 2023
    Finland

Polls close 6pm UK

https://areena.yle.fi/tv/suorat

https://www.mtvuutiset.fi/

https://vaalit.yle.fi/ev2023/tulospalvelu/en/

Gut feel is that Marin won't remain as PM, NCP or possibly Finns will be largest party.

This kicks off the spring election season, and May will be busy, with the UK locals on the 4th, Turkey on the 14th, and Greece on the 21st.

Thanks,

DC
  • TimSTimS Posts: 12,112

Leon said:

Eabhal said:

“Yup”

We’ve identified on here 2 different trajectories for gentrification: the independent shopsy one when an area becomes trendy, and the chain cafes when an area becomes more regularly visited but not so trendy.

I’d posit it’s to do with the relative levels of business letting costs and rates on the one hand, and housing on the other.

When house prices rise to posh levels but footfall on the high street / suburban centre remains limited and commercial rents low, you get the trendy independent shops. As seen in Brockley or Nunhead around here.

When commercial rents rise due to increased footfall while housing remains somewhat affordable, you get the chains coming in. See Lewisham town centre or Woolwich.

Finally when both housing and shop rents become very expensive you get the posh but less trendy independents and the expensive mini chains. High end fashion shops, caviar outlets, Michelin star chasing restaurants. Dulwich village our closest example.
    edited April 2023
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Yes but.
    That was years ago.

That's the problem.
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Sorry.

Far, far from it.
    And so I have.
    I sensed personal anguish which I why I said Fair Enough. It was just the wrong phrase: understood

You do sound quite stressed and I have sympathy for anyone in education dealing with the huge overhang of nightmares produced by covid/lockdown etc

Good luck
    Cheers. I got back into frontline education, which I originally came from, as I thought it would be less stressful than child protection. It is. But not by the amount I'd imagined. Just can't not know what you already know you see.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,379
    EPG said:

Thank goodness you found a plaice for the puns.

Is that your sole contribution?
  • stodgestodge Posts: 13,643

Finland

Polls close 6pm UK

Gut feel is that Marin won't remain as PM, NCP or possibly Finns will be largest party.

This kicks off the spring election season, and May will be busy, with the UK locals on the 4th, Turkey on the 14th, and Greece on the 21st.

Thanks,

DC

Don’t forget it’s also Bulgaria today and of even greater import, Andorra.

No need to remind anyone on here of the complexities of Andorran politics of course.
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 4,279
    Leon said:

Seeing as we are talking about our favourite drinks, can I just recommend the Marks and Spencer own brand (but actually Lustau: a great sherrymaker) Palo Cortado sherry

£8 a half bottle. It is totally superb. Rich yet dry, aromatic and intense, delicate and succulent

For comparison the only-slightly-better Lustau 30 year old VROS Palo Cortado costs £50 for a pint-bottle

Sherry has been the biggest bargain in the Wine world since it became unfashionable in the US and UK in about 1990. It is also largely unfashionable in Spain, drunk little outside its area of production.

A white burgundy or claret of the same general quality as a £30 sherry would be £150.

Of course, none of this is any use unless you happen to like the stuff.

Jerez is pleasant, if rather obviously run down these days. Worth a stop on the way from Seville to Cadiz.
  • WillGWillG Posts: 2,366
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Yes but.
    That was years ago.

That's the problem.
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Sorry.

Far, far from it.
    And so I have.

Good luck
    I don't have any sympathy for anyone playing down an issue which has caused the sexual abuse of tens of thousands of children. Especially because the political elite appear to be happy to just let the media move on without addressing the problem. Where are the reforms? Where have the heads rolled? By any sensible logic, this should have been the biggest political issue of all over the last decade, but it has just been quickly swept under the carpet. It makes me seriously believe the people involved are being protected from high places.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,229
    Meanwhile in Italy:

• stodge said:

Finland

Polls close 6pm UK

Thanks,

DC

No need to remind anyone on here of the complexities of Andorran politics of course.
    :smile:
    rcs1000 said:

Meanwhile in Italy:

I would have thought the primary cause of this Anglomania was American media, rather than anything British.
    stodge said:

Finland

Polls close 6pm UK

Thanks,

DC

Of course, Macron is Co-Prince of Andorra, so we know who really wields the power...
  • kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,689
    carnforth said:

Leon said:

Sherry has been the biggest bargain in the Wine world since it became unfashionable in the US and UK in about 1990. It is also largely unfashionable in Spain, drunk little outside its area of production.

A white burgundy or claret of the same general quality as a £30 sherry would be £150.

Jerez is pleasant, if rather obviously run down these days. Worth a stop on the way from Seville to Cadiz.
    "Looks like we've overdone it with the sherry"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhyrjbvDHT8
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 21,162
    I love listicles so I just asked ChatGPT to give me the 100 most important people of the 20th century.

The response is quite eccentric. Includes Sting, Greta Thunberg, and Isaac Bashevis Singer.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,503
    rcs1000 said:

Meanwhile in Italy:

The love affair between English nationalism* and Italian nationalism comes to a shuddering halt.

*well, one English nationalist.
    carnforth said:

Leon said:

Don’t forget my advice to drop the tiniest bit of dry sherry (ideally fino) into a bottle of cheap sparkling to give it a faux vintage champagne flavour.

This evening I’m returning to my favourite pre dinner rapid-impact drink, a basic freezing cold gin martini. Almost perfect for the chilly sunshine outside but the vermouth I got at Lidl is a little bit too sweet.

• 40.1% counted:

NCP: 20.8%
    SDP: 20.7%
    Finns: 18.6%
    Centre: 12.3%
    Left: 8%
    Green: 7.3%
    CD: 4.4%
    SPP: 3.8%
    Move: 2%
    Others: 1.9%

In the last election Finns Party rose two points when the election day votes were counted, this could be very close.
  • Three weeks from now I'll hopefully have finished my first day marathon walk, with fifteen to follow over the next nineteen days

I'll be so pleased if I can complete it in time
    rcs1000 said:

Meanwhile in Italy:

What's the Italian for 'pissing in the wind'?

It would be fascinating to examine the global spread of languages in, say, the year 2500 (assuming the human race survives).

If there's an apocalyptic breakdown of technological civilisation there will be an ever-increasing myriad of languages, but if civilisation continues there will be just one global language - a variant of English.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,605

What exactly is Trumpian about it?

Bad Facts

I love listicles so I just asked ChatGPT to give me the 100 most important people of the 20th century.

The response is quite eccentric. Includes Sting, Greta Thunberg, and Isaac Bashevis Singer.

When did 'eccentric' become a synonym for 'shite'?
    carnforth said:

Leon said:

Sherry is totally a bargain. I entirely agree. I’m becoming slightly obsessed with finding the best (at the best price)

Also sweet wines. Last week as I sat in my family’s dynastic kitchen listening to my father dying upstairs I drank a smallish bottle of the marvellous Royal Tokaji Blue Label Puttonyas sweet wine. Magnificent

It was also exactly the right wine for the occasion. Such a Victorian scene

Bad Facts
    Ok, I'm going to have to ask: by 'Bad Facts' do you mean 'facts we don't want to hear' or 'falsehoods'. If the latter, Bad Facts is poor description - they are not facts at all but lies.
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 10,500
    edited April 2023
    carnforth said:

Leon said:

You're right of course. There's become almost no choice or variation. I think the same is true of port, and Madeira has been astonishingly out of fashion for decades.

It's a dark thing though. If you want to buy good Port or Madeira it'll cost you as many arms and legs as you have. I don't know who's buying it.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,730

rcs1000 said:

Meanwhile in Italy:

It would be fascinating to examine the global spread of languages in, say, the year 2500 (assuming the human race survives).

If there's an apocalyptic breakdown of technological civilisation there will be an ever-increasing myriad of languages, but if civilisation continues there will be just one global language - a variant of English.
    FFS.... How small-minded would it be for the UK to say we aren't going to use any words of Latin derivation because, well, we are no longer part of the Roman Empire...?
  • stodgestodge Posts: 13,643

40.1% counted:

In the last election Finns Party rose two points when the election day votes were counted, this could be very close.

The polls have been calling a dead heat between the three leading parties for a while with all three around 20%. Last time they were split by less than 1%.

Not looking a good result for the Greens and Centre down a fraction.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,730

Sure you didn't inadvertently ask it for the 100 to testicles?
    edited April 2023

I buy into much of the hype about AI, but I confess to being a bit disappointed. I couldn’t use this list.

Another list of most important British politicians gave me Andrew Bonar Law twice, and when I pointed it out, ChatGPT just kind of went, “oh yeah”. (The list was also deficient in other, qualitative respects).
    It’s definitely spring today. Chilly, but still and sunny with stirrings of growth in the garden and a warmth in the sun. First mow of the season.

I remember commenting about the late autumn pub Sunday sentiments in songs such as Gerry Rafferty’s Baker Street or David Gray’s Babylon. Very different on a spring Sunday before Easter. It’s time for jingly British indie music.

This weekend I’ve latched on to a quaint little group from Wigan called The Lathums. There’s nothing particularly ground breaking in their music but it’s nice, very springlike, and obviously from the North West (if you liked the Las you’ll like them). The most fun track on their latest album is called turmoil and it’s an absolute textbook pop ballad structure-wise. The sort of thing you’d study in GCSE music.

rcs1000 said:

Meanwhile in Italy:

FFS.... How small-minded would it be for the UK to say we aren't going to use any words of Latin derivation because, well, we are no longer part of the Roman Empire...?
    ...no longer belong to the Roman, er, big land?
    carnforth said:

rcs1000 said:

Meanwhile in Italy:

I would have thought the primary cause of this Anglomania was American media, rather than anything British.
    And technology which tends to be named in English, at least till the Académie Française can work out what it and absolutely no-one else wants to call a web server.

A banking friend tells me of his first visit to an Italian trading room where everyone spoke English all of the time in order to avoid expensive errors in translation when switching between languages.
    edited April 2023
    TimS said:

It’s definitely spring today. Chilly, but still and sunny with stirrings of growth in the garden and a warmth in the sun. First mow of the season.

I remember commenting about the late autumn pub Sunday sentiments in songs such as Gerry Rafferty’s Baker Street or David Gray’s Babylon. Very different on a spring Sunday before Easter. It’s time for jingly British indie music.

This weekend I’ve latched on to a quaint little group from Wigan called The Lathums. There’s nothing particularly ground breaking in their music but it’s nice, very springlike, and obviously from the North West (if you liked the Las you’ll like them). The most fun track on their latest album is called turmoil and it’s an absolute textbook pop ballad structure-wise. The sort of thing you’d study in GCSE music.

What do you mean obviously from the North West, like the Las.

I would argue there was is audible difference between Liverpool and Manchester bands, the former being more melodic.

40.1% counted:

For those not familiar.
    NCP = Mainstream Conservatives.
    SDP = Social Democrats of PM Marin.
    Finns = Populist Right.
    Centre = As it says on the tin. Rural.
    Left = You can guess.
    Green = Ditto.
    CD = Christian Democrats.
    SPP = Swedish speakers.
    Move = Economic liberals.

SDP, Green, Left, Centre and Swedes are the incumbent government coalition.
    It looks like they'll get a majority of votes.
    However. Largest Party gets first dibs.
    Complicated by the fact that this is D'Hondt across 13 constituencies.
    So most votes doesn't necessarily equal most seats. Especially when this close.
    edited April 2023

Bad Facts
    Ok, I'm going to have to ask: by 'Bad Facts' do you mean 'facts we don't want to hear' or 'falsehoods'. If the latter, Bad Facts is poor description - they are not facts at all but lies.
    When I did a course on modern sensitivities there was a whole section on Facts that are true, but mustn’t be used because they are Bad.

Ethnic patterns in crime was one of them.

Great is a bit of an odd one, as she was born in the 21st Century.
    Foxy said:

Great is a bit of an odd one, as she was born in the 21st Century.
    That’s what I told ChatGPT, to which it conceded it was an error.

But how precisely do you make such a dumb error?

My faith is flagging.
  • CiceroCicero Posts: 2,978
    stodge said:

40.1% counted:

The polls have been calling a dead heat between the three leading parties for a while with all three around 20%. Last time they were split by less than 1%.

Not looking a good result for the Greens and Centre down a fraction.
    Seems like the NCP, SDP and Finns are all up a couple of percent and Centre, Greens and smaller parties all down. Actually a good score for the SDP, but Marin will probably struggle to form a coalition, given NCP seem like they will top the poll.
    TimS said:

Yes. I’m on top of Primrose Hill and it’s definitely spring. The sun has suddenly emerged. And the people. The soft wind is cold yet somehow unthreatening. It speaks in kindly words of warmth ahead

I buy into much of the hype about AI, but I confess to being a bit disappointed. I couldn’t use this list.

Another list of most important British politicians gave me Andrew Bonar Law twice, and when I pointed it out, ChatGPT just kind of went, “oh yeah”. (The list was also deficient in other, qualitative respects).
    I have found it similarly disappointing and prone to factual errors. It's pretty good at knocking out a sonnet on a subject of your choice in real time though; that's clever.
  • Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 9,762
    Ok sorry going to be mr angry here. Yes a the majority of child sexual abuse happens in the family and friends arena. The minority in the grooming gang arena

However the difference is the problem in the family arena is getting it reported and when it is the authorities deal with it.

In the grooming gang area it is reported and the authorities tend to ignore it because of cultural issues

TimS said:

What do you mean obviously from the North West, like the Las.

I would argue there was is audible difference between Liverpool and Manchester bands, the former being more melodic.
    Which is why Wigan is the perfect synthesis. 17 miles from each. Big soul and house tradition.
  • Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 3,037

rcs1000 said:

Meanwhile in Italy:

Unfinished business from yesterday, by the look of it.
    Omnium said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

You're right of course. There's become almost no choice or variation. I think the same is true of port, and Madeira has been astonishingly out of fashion for decades.

It's a dark thing though. If you want to buy good Port or Madeira it'll cost you as many arms and legs as you have. I don't know who's buying it.
    I am quite a fan of Madeira, polished by visiting the Island a number of times. It keeps very well when opened and is delicious alongside rich puddings such as at Christmas. Great value too.
    Pagan2 said:

Ok sorry going to be mr angry here. Yes a the majority of child sexual abuse happens in the family and friends arena. The minority in the grooming gang arena

However the difference is the problem in the family arena is getting it reported and when it is the authorities deal with it.

In the grooming gang area it is reported and the authorities tend to ignore it because of cultural issues

Ok Mr Angry, I am looking forward to your evidence to support that assertion.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,605

rcs1000 said:

Meanwhile in Italy:

I'm not sure I would bet on that. Technology has made it possible for every language to be a global language.

rcs1000 said:

Meanwhile in Italy:

Unfinished business from yesterday, by the look of it.
    Time to discuss reparations with the Italian government?
    edited April 2023
    Omnium said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

Several Cambridge colleges sold off large amounts of Vintage Port in the early 90s when it fell out of fashion, and had to buy back in at higher prices ten years later.

There are some delightful LBVs at £15-£20 though. Niepoort for one.

Having recommended Jerez earlier, I must speak up for Porto. Delightful place to go, sensible climate, good hotels and restaurants these days too. Good for all budgets. Drink Vintage Port by the glass in the Taylor's English Rose Garden overlooking the river. Then take the train along the valley inland to the vineyards.
This discussion has been closed.