Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Labour’s useless strategy? – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 12,047
edited April 2023 in General
Labour’s useless strategy? – politicalbetting.com

?Exclusive: Labour will target Humza Yousaf’s Glasgow Pollok seat by highlighting that Scotland’s new first minister lives 80 miles away in Dundee. https://t.co/6GqJWAmXvb

Read the full story here

Comments

• TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,517
    edited April 2023
    I'm delighted to see that the subtle SNP fish puns can continue under Humza Yousaf's leadership.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,866

I'm delighted to see that the subtle SNP fish puns can continue under Humza Yousaf's leadership.

Thank you very muchi.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,272
    edited April 2023
    Is it only 80 miles from Glasgow to Dundee?
    If asked I'd have guessed much further.
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,216
    “never hate your enemies, it affects your judgment.”

Nicola’s obituary?
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,420

Thank you very muchi.
    It’s all a bit of a red herring, really.

Thank you very muchi.
    Unkind to carp
    Brendan Rodgers sacked by Leicester.
  • There was a chat not so long ago about female sports pundits and commentators. I said I didn't think most of them were any good, but singled out Alison Mitchell from TMS for high praise

I'd like to add Vicki Sparks to that (still short) list

I had R5 on in the van yesterday and heard some of her commentary of the Chelsea Villa game. I hadn't realised quite how good she is

She's as fluent, knowledgeable and passionate as any of the other commentators

She could host MOTD
  • pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,813

Except that the district of Glasgow and the fish are spelt differently. Deeply unimpressed.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,544
    edited April 2023

Thank Cod for that.
  • pigeon said:

Except that the district of Glasgow and the fish are spelt differently. Deeply unimpressed.
    I know, it's a verbal pun.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,572
    dixiedean said:

Culturally they’re almost adjacent
  • boulayboulay Posts: 5,369

There was a chat not so long ago about female sports pundits and commentators. I said I didn't think most of them were any good, but singled out Alison Mitchell from TMS for high praise

I had R5 on in the van yesterday and heard some of her commentary of the Chelsea Villa game. I hadn't realised quite how good she is

She could host MOTD

She makes my ears bleed. I’ve never heard such a terrible voice and at such volume - she clearly knows her stuff but when radio is a medium that relies on sound only it’s impossible to listen to.

Thank you very muchi.
    Unkind to carp
    Brill.
  • Rogers leaves Leicester

Nicola’s obituary?

Nicola's, or those who hated her?

Whatever she got wrong, she got the SNP closer to power and to their underlying ambition than her predecessors... and by the look of it, her successor.
    edited April 2023

Nicola’s obituary?

Whatever she got wrong, she got the SNP closer to power and to their underlying ambition than her predecessors... and by the look of it, her successor.
    Scotland isn't a nanometre closer to independence than it was in September 2014.
  • Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,860
    FPT: Thanks to CarlottaVance for the tip on the WSJ putting the Evan Gershkovich articles outside their paywall.

(For those who missed the link: https://www.wsj.com/news/author/evan-gershkovich )

pigeon said:

You're floundering.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,731
    dixiedean said:

Brendan Rodgers sacked by Leicester.

Should have happened in September.

"Left by mutual consent" it seems. Looking forward to Tuesday at home to Villa now.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,240
    pigeon said:

Nicola’s obituary?

Scotland isn't a nanometre closer to independence than it was in September 2014.
    Given the turmoil, the scandal, the strong whiff of corruption, and the hapless new leader that Sturgeon has bequeathed, like gleaming roe on the floor a sandy loch, then I'd say Scotland is further away from indy now than it was in 2014

Everyone knows there won't be a referendum until the 2030s now. That will have a logical momentum of its own, as people turn away from the issue, and focus on other stuff. The Nat parties will fracture and wilt

One day Sindy WILL return, but Sturgeon has successfully kicked it into the long grass. Not deliberately, just by the nature of her leadership, and because of the practical obstacles that she never really tried to address

• StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,849

Thank you very muchi.
    Unkind to carp
    Time you scampi-ed off
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,092

pigeon said:

You've got no sole.

Nicola’s obituary?

But not across her line - so a failure

Scottish First Minister Nicola Sturgeon has been accused of using divisive rhetoric after she said "I detest the Tories" in a BBC interview……

But Ms Sturgeon later told the BBC she did not regret her choice of words, which were not about individuals or Tory voters.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-63192125.amp

Similarly Labour “Never kissed a Tory” virtue signallers.

One of Labour’s greatest PMs married one.
    I assumed it was Liz Truss…
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,503
    dixiedean said:

Why isn’t Glasgow closer to Dundee after 16 years of SNP misrule?
    Humza must explain.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,085

One MP said: 'It has got us all asking – who would be your 'phone a friend' at 4am in a sticky situation? And our conclusion was – certainly not the person that he did call.'
    Leon said:

pigeon said:

Nicola’s obituary?

Given the turmoil, the scandal, the strong whiff of corruption, and the hapless new leader that Sturgeon has bequeathed, like gleaming roe on the floor a sandy loch, then I'd say Scotland is further away from indy now than it was in 2014

Everyone knows there won't be a referendum until the 2030s now. That will have a logical momentum of its own, as people turn away from the issue, and focus on other stuff. The Nat parties will fracture and wilt

One day Sindy WILL return, but Sturgeon has successfully kicked it into the long grass. Not deliberately, just by the nature of her leadership, and because of the practical obstacles that she never really tried to address

Long reeds, surely?

How many "brothels" are there in London?

Massage parlours, aye. Houses divided into apartments for, ahem, single ladies in Warren Street or Bayswater or maybe even Shepherd's Market

Flat sharing Romanian girls in Wood Green. Yup. Saunas? Yup

But proper rococo-and-champagne, dungeon chamber and pretend railway carriage, chaise-longue, caviar, asparagus-soup and Edwardian kingly three way fellatio love seat brothels??

None, that I know of
  • Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,860
    edited April 2023
    This tidbit should have been in the previous post, but I'm putting it here because it may amuse some of you:
    "In a widely watched interview on CBS’s “60 Minutes” in 2018, Daniels spoke in detail about her alleged 2006 meeting with Trump, saying he tried to impress her by showing a magazine with his face on the cover, and that they joked about her spanking him with it."
    source$: https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2023/03/31/who-is-stormy-daniels/

Well, he has been a bad boy.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,677

One MP said: 'It has got us all asking – who would be your 'phone a friend' at 4am in a sticky situation? And our conclusion was – certainly not the person that he did call.'
    I am going for Wavin Gilliamson as the person inexplicably chosen as the confidant. As for the culprit, given the language used in the article, it could be someone called Mill (or Mills), Turner, or Short, if the DM is being naughty.

dixiedean said:

Humza must explain.
    In some respects they are close:

Dundee City had the highest age-standardised drug misuse death rate of all local authority areas (45.2 per 100,000 population for the 5-year period 2017-2021), followed by Glasgow City (44.4)

https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/files/statistics/drug-related-deaths/21/drug-related-deaths-21-report.pdf

And you’re right, Humza must explain.

dixiedean said:

Humza must explain.

Dundee City had the highest age-standardised drug misuse death rate of all local authority areas (45.2 per 100,000 population for the 5-year period 2017-2021), followed by Glasgow City (44.4)

https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/files/statistics/drug-related-deaths/21/drug-related-deaths-21-report.pdf

Presumably only to the voters of Scotland rather than the residents of distant tax havens?
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,455

pigeon said:

You let them evolve much more from the original fish, they'll walk away from you.

http://palaeos.com/vertebrates/sarcopterygii/elginerpeton.html
    edited April 2023

dixiedean said:

Humza must explain.

Presumably only to the voters of Scotland rather than the residents of distant tax havens?
    Oh do keep up - I’ve been living in the U.K. for 18 months.

Is that the best you’ve got?

No fun! Party pooper
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,258
    Leon said:

Massage parlours, aye. Houses divided into apartments for, ahem, single ladies in Warren Street or Bayswater or maybe even Shepherd's Market

But proper rococo-and-champagne, dungeon chamber and pretend railway carriage, chaise-longue, caviar, asparagus-soup and Edwardian kingly three way fellatio love seat brothels??

None, that I know of
    Nobody of sound mind and good character will be replying to this.

Nicola’s obituary?

Scottish First Minister Nicola Sturgeon has been accused of using divisive rhetoric after she said "I detest the Tories" in a BBC interview……

But Ms Sturgeon later told the BBC she did not regret her choice of words, which were not about individuals or Tory voters.

"Closer but no cigar" seems like a fair epitaph for la Sturge.

Ultimately, she had the right strategy. Without more younger, worker, Central
    Belt voters, the ScotNat concept can't win. There just aren't enough Highland Presbyterians banging on about oil money to get near a majority. Sometimes (and it may be Rishi's fate too) a coalition is simultaneously maximised and not big enough.
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

None, that I know of
    OMG you know the answer, don't you?

dixiedean said:

Humza must explain.

Oh do keep up - I’ve been living in the U.K. for 18 months. Is that the best you’ve got?
    Apologies, not been keeping up with your whereabouts, that would be a bit weird and stalky.
    Still not a voter in Scotland though, despite your torrential posting on your second favourite subject?
    The list of Tory MPs who it couldn’t be is surely worryingly short?
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,528

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

None, that I know of
    Hoist by your own petard methinks.

• boulayboulay Posts: 5,369

No fun! Party pooper
    I thought that was allegedly Mark Oaten.
    Leon said:

None, that I know of
    Remarkable ignorance on your part, approach from either side of the question.

Nicola’s obituary?

Belt voters, the ScotNat concept can't win. There just aren't enough Highland Presbyterians banging on about oil money to get near a majority. Sometimes (and it may be Rishi's fate too) a coalition is simultaneously maximised and not big enough.
    Perhaps she was waiting for this surge of youthful YES voters to finally overtake the doddery old NO voters

And yet, here we are, nearly ten years after the first referendum - with polls still showing the young favour YES - and yet NO has a stubborn 5-15 point lead, and a referendum right now would probably produce an entirely similar result to that of 2014

I doubt anyone can explain this mysterious phenomenon
  • boulay said:

There was a chat not so long ago about female sports pundits and commentators. I said I didn't think most of them were any good, but singled out Alison Mitchell from TMS for high praise

She could host MOTD

She makes my ears bleed. I’ve never heard such a terrible voice and at such volume - she clearly knows her stuff but when radio is a medium that relies on sound only it’s impossible to listen to.
    I think she has lovely and very clear voice
    Is she talking about Humza?

• GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 21,162
    SNP are probably now perma-doomed to coalition with the Scottish Greens. The electoral maths means they have to stay left. The period of an SNP that is all things to all people is probably over.
  • boulay said:

She could host MOTD

And she's a good reason to support a Saints comeback today, since West Ham's manager threatened to slap her if she asked him the wrong questions again
    IanB2 said:

Leon said:

None, that I know of
    Remarkable ignorance on your part, approach from either side of the question.
    I have found one candidate, but it's still not a brothel as I understand it - not like a go-go bar in Bangkok, one of those Nevada joints in the desert, or the One Two Two in Old Paree

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-Two-Two

This is the closest London may get. It's just girls in apartments. I note, however, that it is owned by a Tory donor

We could have our location

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/inside-londons-huge-indoor-red-13894792
    Leon said:

Nicola’s obituary?

Perhaps she was waiting for this surge of youthful YES voters to finally overtake the doddery old NO voters

And yet, here we are, nearly ten years after the first referendum - with polls still showing the young favour YES - and yet NO has a stubborn 5-15 point lead, and a referendum right now would probably produce an entirely similar result to that of 2014

I doubt anyone can explain this mysterious phenomenon
    When was the last time No had a 15 pt lead?
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,977
    edited April 2023
    Leon said:

None, that I know of
    I think one can assume a little bit of poetic language in play here. Probably makes the MP in question feel classier.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,258
    pigeon said:

Nicola’s obituary?

The pandemic didn't help imo. It was good for Sturgeon as FM but bad for Sindy. It sucked focus and energy away from Ref2 for a significant period at a crucial time when antipathy towards the twin horrors of English imposed 'Boris' and Brexit was particularly strong.
    edited April 2023
    OR IT COULD BE HERE

The UK's ONLY legal brothel. And it is in Whitehall!! THIS MUST BE IT

The only problem is that it stopped being an actual brothel in about the 1650s

https://www.mylondon.news/news/zone-1-news/london-pub-thats-countrys-only-20666636

That might explain why the Tory MP ended up confused and disappointed
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,977

SNP are probably now perma-doomed to coalition with the Scottish Greens. The electoral maths means they have to stay left. The period of an SNP that is all things to all people is probably over.

How much indy righties will they actually lose? To Alba I assume?
    Leon said:

None, that I know of
    Railway carriage?

Railway carriage?!

I'll accept "sheltered life" and "embittered commuter" as answers, but...

Railway?
    Carriage?
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

None, that I know of
    I think one can assume a little bit of poetic lnguage in play here. Probably makes the MP in question feel classier.
    Yes. "Help I'm naked and I can't find my clothes in a seedy old mansion block near Earl's Court with a couple of bored Hungarian girls down the dingy corridor" isn't quite as cavalier

Leon said:

None, that I know of
    Railway carriage?

Railway carriage?!

Railway?
    Carriage?
    Yes

"Catering to all fetishes, each of the 22 rooms were inspired by a different time and place. A pirate room featured a mechanical boat swing and water jets that sprayed clients and courtesans as they did the dirty. An Orient Express room allowed patrons to live out their fantasies of sex on a train inside a replica of a bouncing carriage with a railway soundtrack."

https://www.messynessychic.com/2012/12/11/inside-the-paris-brothels-of-the-belle-epoque/

I once wrote a Gazette article about the great Paris brothels of the Belle Epoque and spent a week doing research in the City of Love. I even tracked down King Edwards's Notorious Three Way love seat - I found the last auctioneer to sell it in the 1990s, to a "private buyer", and he was tempted to introduce me to the owner so I could see it.... but in the end he said No. However when I asked if "the seat is still being used" he smiled and said "Oui, naturellement"

True story
  • TresTres Posts: 2,648

Braverman's top priority in the Home Office is to get the tabloids to replace the shorthand of ‘Asian grooming gangs’ with 'British Pakistani grooming gangs'.

Leon said:

None, that I know of
    Railway carriage?

Railway carriage?!

Railway?
    Carriage?
    ISTR that the North London Railway had its uses, at least before Muller Lights. But IANAE.
    Tres said:

Braverman's top priority in the Home Office is to get the tabloids to replace the shorthand of ‘Asian grooming gangs’ with 'British Pakistani grooming gangs'.
    Well it would

1. Be more accurate

and

2. Be less unfair to "Asian males" - from China, Japan, Taiwan, etc etc - who have never been convicted of this crime

dixiedean said:

Humza must explain.

Oh do keep up - I’ve been living in the U.K. for 18 months. Is that the best you’ve got?
    Apologies, not been keeping up with your whereabouts, that would be a bit weird and stalky.
    Still not a voter in Scotland though, despite your torrential posting on your second favourite subject?
    Also, "I've been a tax evader for all but the last 18 months" doesn't quite work as a chat line, does it?
    Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

Humza must explain.

Also, "I've been a tax evader for all but the last 18 months" doesn't quite work as a chat line, does it?
    Actually, one of the many tedious Yoon bleats regards the generous taxation outwith the Scottish Soviet, so technically rUK could be described as a tax haven. I’m sure there’ll always be a spare room for Roddy Dunlop QC at Schloss Carlotta.
    edited April 2023
    This is brill. A laugh for a Sunday arvo. One forgets that the early muppets were genuinely funny. And clever

‘You don’t ask a frog questions like that.’

JIM HENSON shows his genius in this 1975 interview with JOHNNY CARSON…

…as he voices KERMIT THE FROG.

😂😂😂

https://twitter.com/JamesL1927/status/1642213132197064706?s=20

How does he make Kermit show offended alarm at the impertinence of the questions?
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,759

Same here.

Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

Humza must explain.

Actually, one of the many tedious Yoon bleats regards the generous taxation outwith the Scottish Soviet, so technically rUK could be described as a tax haven. I’m sure there’ll always be a spare room for Roddy Dunlop QC at Schloss Carlotta.
    You seem to be in a relentlessly bad mood these last weeks. Weird
  • Does the Welsh government provide or sponsor any Welsh as a foreign language courses?

If they want their language to survive, it might help
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,759
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

None, that I know of
    OMG you know the answer, don't you?
    I’ve never forgotten your description of that bar in Bangkok with the glass ceiling, where Japanese
    tourists stare upwards at young Thai women, dancing around with no knickers, while dressed as schoolgirls.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 59,574
    Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

Humza must explain.

Tax evasion is a pretty serious accusation.
    edited April 2023
    RobD said:

Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

Humza must explain.

Sorry - confusing with avoidance. Quite correct, thank you. My apologies to @CArlotta. @TSE or @rcs1000 - please can you delete?
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 7,904
    edited April 2023
    Leon said:

This is brill. A laugh for a Sunday arvo. One forgets that the early muppets were genuinely funny. And clever

‘You don’t ask a frog questions like that.’

JIM HENSON shows his genius in this 1975 interview with JOHNNY CARSON…

…as he voices KERMIT THE FROG.

😂😂😂

https://twitter.com/JamesL1927/status/1642213132197064706?s=20

How does he make Kermit show offended alarm at the impertinence of the questions?

The bit at the end is genius. What's Kermit made of?
  • Tres said:

You seem slightly more concerned with how the gangs are ethically described than young girls being raped. Slightly
  • ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,252

Tres said:

You seem slightly more concerned with how the gangs are ethically described than young girls being raped. Slightly
    Ethical description? You’ve just opened up a whole new field of workery …
  • TresTres Posts: 2,648
    most children are raped by people they know, typically family members, rather than 'grooming gangs'. Yet everyone is happy to giggle away here at stepmom jokes.
  • Tres said:

'workery'? I think you've just opened up a whole new battlefield on the cultural wars front...
    What is Suella actually planning to do about “British Pakistani” grooming gangs?

We need a word for a dog whistle that everyone can totally hear.
    edited April 2023

Tres said:

'workery'? I think you've just opened up a whole new battlefield on the cultural wars front...
    Err. The battle has been raging for some time. Indeed the Tories want to fight all of the next general election on it, in the hope that people will forget that their wage increases have fallen far behind the rate of inflation, while their rent/ mortgage increases have way outpaced it.
    kle4 said:

How much indy righties will they actually lose? To Alba I assume?
    Alba is a damp squib.
    In theory it is the Scons and Slibs who should benefit in the longer term.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551

Does the Welsh government provide or sponsor any Welsh as a foreign language courses?

If they want their language to survive, it might help

They already throw money at Welsh language teaching. To be fair there are plenty of people in Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion, most of North West Wales and the Pontcanna and Llandaff districts (where the BBC employees live) of Cardiff who use Welsh as a first language. Welsh is a requirement for a whole host of careers. There are also enough S4C types to fly the flag. The language has thrived over the last 40 years.

Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

Humza must explain.

Good grief you are slow, Roddy Dunlop KC
    Indeed, it is. Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence is a flawed masterpiece, and one of the best things about it is Sakamoto’s score.

Indeed, it is. Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence is a flawed masterpiece, and one of the best things about it is Sakamoto’s score.
    Those unfamiliar with the name may recognise the music:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LF9_9MZyQGo
  • What is Suella actually planning to do about “British Pakistani” grooming gangs?

It will be interesting to see what Labour does on the proposed Bill.

There is, as you say, the dog whistle about British-Pakistani gangs. How does Labour react to that? Factually - when it comes to grooming gangs as opposed to child abuse in general - the evidence is there. Does Labour accuse the Government of racism? Probably not going to well received in the towns involved. I suspect Labour will make muted criticism but make clear to the British-Pakistani communities (which are key to its vote in many seats eg Batley and Spen) that it will be amended if they win power.

However, there is another angle here. Where this Bill is really targeted at is Labour's middle class public sector block - the social workers, teachers and those who deal with children in related areas. What it's threatening to do is target directly this very influential part of Labour's voting bloc by threatening them with the sack or prison.

From a policy standpoint, it's actually good that people who kept silent because they were more concerned about being accused of racism and / or their political views now run personal risk. From a political viewpoint, it could be quite successful.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551

boulay said:

She could host MOTD

She's very shouty and over excitable. A sort of lady football version of Ian Robertson.

Those unfamiliar with the name may recognise the music:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LF9_9MZyQGo
    And David Sylvian’s vocalisation, ‘Forbidden Colours’.
  • Tres said:

Err. The battle has been raging for some time. Indeed the Tories want to fight all of the next general election on it, in the hope that people will forget that their wage increases have fallen far behind the rate of inflation, while their rent/ mortgage increases have way outpaced it.
    I was more highlighting your picking up of my spelling mistake by highlighting your own mistake in spelling...
    edited April 2023

What is Suella actually planning to do about “British Pakistani” grooming gangs?

There is, as you say, the dog whistle about British-Pakistani gangs. How does Labour react to that? Factually - when it comes to grooming gangs as opposed to child abuse in general - the evidence is there. Does Labour accuse the Government of racism? Probably not going to well received in the towns involved. I suspect Labour will make muted criticism but make clear to the British-Pakistani communities (which are key to its vote in many seats eg Batley and Spen) that it will be amended if they win power.

However, there is another angle here. Where this Bill is really targeted at is Labour's middle class public sector block - the social workers, teachers and those who deal with children in related areas. What it's threatening to do is target directly this very influential part of Labour's voting bloc by threatening them with the sack or prison.

From a policy standpoint, it's actually good that people who kept silent because they were more concerned about being accused of racism and / or their political views now run personal risk. From a political viewpoint, it could be quite successful.
    Threatening social workers and teachers with the sack or prison?
    Is that the free market response to desperately short staffed professions?
    Still. Anything to get the Tories re-elected is far more important than the welfare of children after all.
    For the record I support mandatory reporting. It already exists in practice.
    I spend more time on CPOMS than on marking.
    edited April 2023
    Leon said:

Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

Humza must explain.

You seem to be in a relentlessly bad mood these last weeks. Weird
    Oh dear, my reputation as PB’s Pollyanna at risk?

Istr acerbic was an adjective you once applied to me, in amongst the Nit, anti English, racist, paedo patter. Nothing has changed in that regard.

Tres said:

I was more highlighting your picking up of my spelling mistake by highlighting your own mistake in spelling...
    Ha! An interesting autocorrect (I think), indicating the term has yet to achieve total salience.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,003
    Bit of a long shot from Labour there, Yousaf will be least popular in rural and suburban Scotland in inner city Glasgow he will still be reasonably popular I would imagine
  • dixiedean said:

Still. Anything to get the Tories re-elected is far more important than the welfare of children after all.
    If you deliberately turn your eyes away from a child being abused for whatever reason, then you shouldn't be in the job. I would have thought that would be quite easy to understand.
    dixiedean said:

For the record I support mandatory reporting. It already exists in practice.
    I spend more time on CPOMS than on marking.
    In Rotherham the social services boasted, in internal emails, of destroying evidence, so they would face no action.
    RobD said:

Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

Humza must explain.

Water off a ducks back.

As Mrs T observed I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left.

And as I have pointed out on here I now pay less tax in the U.K. on my pension than I would have done in Guernsey as the U.K. does not charge NI on pension income, unlike Guernsey. But Nats & Facts, eh?

dixiedean said:

If you deliberately turn your eyes away from a child being abused for whatever reason, then you shouldn't be in the job. I would have thought that would be quite easy to understand.
    Lawyers face stiff penalties for not reporting crimes to the courts IIRC.

dixiedean said:

It is. And it doesn't happen.
    What happens is stuff is reported endlessly and then there isn't the staffing, funding or will to prioritise anything. Nor even for anyone to read the entirety of CPOMS and join the dots.
    Because everyone's caseloads are way too high.
    I am on CPOMS reporting concerns every single day.
    Does anyone read them? Not until after a catastrophic event.
    Because the government isn't prepared to pay for it.
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

It is. And it doesn't happen.
    What happens is stuff is reported endlessly and then there isn't the staffing, funding or will to prioritise anything. Nor even for anyone to read the entirety of CPOMS and join the dots.
    Because everyone's caseloads are way too high.
    I am on CPOMS reporting concerns every single day.
    Does anyone read them? Not until after a catastrophic event.
    Because the government isn't prepared to pay for it.
    Sounds like a job for AI.
This discussion has been closed.