Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

If New Hampshire flips the the Republicans are in for good night – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,067
    Actual quote from Trump: “I think if they win, I should get all the credit. If they lose, I should not be blamed at all.”

https://twitter.com/newsnation/status/1590089985704837124
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Rumours

WHERE ARE THE RUMOURS??

Some people have voted GOP. Others have voted DEM :smiley:
    Katy Perry voted GOP
    She voted for Rick Caruso, who used to be a Republican, and is now a Democrat. (Really, though, he's run on a "I'm not a politician" ticket.)
    He quit the GOP 19 days ago…
    Source? Because all the campaign literature I've had from him has had "Democrat" on it.
    According to Wiki he quit the GOP in 2019, and was independent then until this year.

What's odd though is that he also quit the GOP in 2011 but rejoined it in 2016. Seems odd timing to rejoin the GOP 2016-2019, then go to the Democrats.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,639
    Some results are coming in from Indiana's 3rd district.

https://www.google.com/search?q=indiana+3rd+district+results
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

carnforth said:
    Very sad news. RIP.
    Still he has managed to push the age of death swingometer a little nearer a hundred. :smile:
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    First US Congress result announced (well sort of) from Guam:

'The U.S. territory sends one nonvoting delegate to Congress, and that delegate had always been a Democrat going back to 1993. That is no longer true after Republican James Moylan defeated his Democratic opponent and became the first GOP pick-up in Congress and just the second Republican ever sent to Congress by the island.
    Moylan had trailed in exit polls by 13 percentage points but won by 5. The island’s Democratic governor held on (though she won by 11 points, compared to the 24 points she led by in exit polls), and Democrats gained a seat in the territorial legislature. Guam voters were apparently content with their local Democratic Party, but not the national Democratic Party.'
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,045
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Rumours

WHERE ARE THE RUMOURS??

Katy Perry voted GOP
    She voted for Rick Caruso, who used to be a Republican, and is now a Democrat. (Really, though, he's run on a "I'm not a politician" ticket.)
    Source? Because all the campaign literature I've had from him has had "Democrat" on it.
    Someone on this board last night

Edit: this article says he did it in January. So I guess that makes it ok then…

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2022-01-24/prospective-la-mayoral-candidate-rick-caruso-registers-as-democract
  • Options

Actual quote from Trump: “I think if they win, I should get all the credit. If they lose, I should not be blamed at all.”

You’ve got to laugh at the chutzpah
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,995
    BigRich said:

'The U.S. territory sends one nonvoting delegate to Congress, and that delegate had always been a Democrat going back to 1993. That is no longer true after Republican James Moylan defeated his Democratic opponent and became the first GOP pick-up in Congress and just the second Republican ever sent to Congress by the island.
    Moylan had trailed in exit polls by 13 percentage points but won by 5. The island’s Democratic governor held on (though she won by 11 points, compared to the 24 points she led by in exit polls), and Democrats gained a seat in the territorial legislature. Guam voters were apparently content with their local Democratic Party, but not the national Democratic Party.'

Being a nonvoting member of Congress sounds like a pretty easy job.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Rumours

WHERE ARE THE RUMOURS??

Katy Perry voted GOP
    Someone on this board last night

Edit: this article says he did it in January. So I guess that makes it ok then…

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2022-01-24/prospective-la-mayoral-candidate-rick-caruso-registers-as-democract
    No it doesn't. Literally the first sentence of the article says otherwise.

Rick Caruso, the shopping mall magnate who is considering a run for mayor of heavily Democratic Los Angeles, said Monday he has changed his political affiliation from no party preference to Democrat.
  • Options

You’ve got to laugh at the chutzpah
    To be honest, seems an improvement. I was expecting "if they lose, then it was all rigged and a steal"

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282
    Andy_JS said:

IanB2 said:

When we encouraged our religious nutters to sail west across the ocean, I am starting to feel that maybe we didn’t fully think it through?

Although let's remember Trump isn't very big on religion compared to others in the GOP.
    And more to the point, it was just a joke. Pace Degler, 19th century America was a fairly irreligious place, with the rise of political religiosity being a 20th century mostly post-war phenomenon driven by TV and now the internet.
  • Options
    Does anyone have a link to live video reporting of the results?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

New: Stephen Massey starting tomorrow as chairman of the Tory party, as per email to staff this evening
    https://twitter.com/GuidoFawkes/status/1590100933005889537

I thought Zahawi was party chair???

Tweet's vanished. Zahawi is chair. Darren Mott recently retired as Tory CEO so perhaps there is a new one of those.
  • Options
    There's a results map for senate/house/governor races on this page.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election/2022/us/results
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,995
    As @Leon isn't on at the moment, I can post this article about ML in Go

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2022/11/new-go-playing-trick-defeats-world-class-go-ai-but-loses-to-human-amateurs/

Tl;Dr

You can build a Go playing algorithm that beats the world's best AI, but loses to amateur human players.
  • Options

Trump's core supporters will love this type of comment.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Trump's core supporters will love this type of comment.
    Heads I win, Tails you lose.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Andy_JS said:

IanB2 said:

When we encouraged our religious nutters to sail west across the ocean, I am starting to feel that maybe we didn’t fully think it through?

Although let's remember Trump isn't very big on religion compared to others in the GOP.
    And more to the point, it was just a joke. Pace Degler, 19th century America was a fairly irreligious place, with the rise of political religiosity being a 20th century mostly post-war phenomenon driven by TV and now the internet.
    I think the big revival of religion in the US happened or at least started in the 1890s, proabition in 1913 being there first big national win, after similar laws in some states in the 10 years before that.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

BigRich said:

Being a nonvoting member of Congress sounds like a pretty easy job.
    Yes, sounds like a good number :)

but I understand they can and do serves on committee's, and they do have committee votes.
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522

That's basically how all politicians think, isn't it?
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,934
    Driver said:

Football manager mentality.
    'It was never a penalty, and actually we should have had at least 25 penalties in the second half'
  • Options
    Driver said:

Didn't May say 'I got us into this mess, i'll get us out'?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

There's a results map for senate/house/governor races on this page.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election/2022/us/results

Libertarians on 3% in Indiana :)
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,821
    The exit poll results could have been much worse for the Dems . The results on the abortion issue and democracy are key things that stand out . Biden’s approval rating is higher than in many recent polls and the fact that college educated are making up a higher percentage of the electorate will also be encouraging for them .
  • Options

carnforth said:
    That's sad news for us politicos.

RIP.

Seems to have been a slew of well known person deaths today.
    Is it a full moon?
    As it happens yes.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,215
    edited November 2022
    nico679 said:

The exit poll results could have been much worse for the Dems . The results on the abortion issue and democracy are key things that stand out . Biden’s approval rating is higher than in many recent polls and the fact that college educated are making up a higher percentage of the electorate will also be encouraging for them .

The Fox exit poll, however, has 47% saying the economy is the biggest issue, and 10% saying abortion

You pays yer money…
  • Options

Frank Luntz
    @FrankLuntz
    ·
    18m
    It’s not #ElectionNight
    It will be Election Week.

We won't know control of the Senate for at least 48 hours, if not 72 hours.

So settle in, have your favorite drink, and get ready for a very very long election count. 🥃
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Guys: I'm off to a very, very important business meeting.

Please all wish me luck.

good luck, I think?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,433

carnforth said:
    That's sad news for us politicos.

RIP.

Seems to have been a slew of well known person deaths today.
    Is it a full moon?
    As it happens yes.
    It usually carries away a fair few of the vulnerable.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,750

It's so bold and brazen it is funny, and so far in his life it has worked.
  • Options
    Driver said:

Sure, but they don't admit it. I guess for once it is Trump the Honest.
  • Options
    DYOR

however, I would be really tempted having seen some exit polls to think he Republicans have bot done as well as expected.

They will take the house, but currents 250+ seats is favourite on betfair, I'd be tempted to say Democrats doing alot better than expected.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    kle4 said:

It's so bold and brazen it is funny, and so far in his life it has worked.
    It's actually slightly more nuanced that what it sounds like. In the interview what he said was something like: "If they lose they'll probably blame me, and if they win they won't give me any credit at all. It's actually the reverse". He then also said the quote itself.
  • Options
    BigRich said:

In that case I am curious what the two diverge on.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Please all wish me luck.

Best of luck.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Please all wish me luck.

Fingers crossed.
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    kle4 said:

Driver said:

It reminds me of a Jim Hacker line: a completely honest answer in the House of Commons always gives you the advantage of surprise.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,433
    kle4 said:

Driver said:

It has a sort of sense. Let's say Trump's amazing popularity and saintly halo effect leads to a 50% uplift for each Republican candidate. In that instance, he would deserve all the credit if they were to win, and none of the opprobrium if they were to lose.
  • Options
    Best of luck RCS

Back to elections, and Nevada. Ds getting absolutely hammered in Washoe on the day voting while Clark R day lead remains significant.

I really not sure there are that many drop off ballots to counter this and, reading between the lines, neither do the Ds
  • Options
    Looking forward to Dave Wasserman's popular vote spreadsheet.
  • Options

Taz said:
    Not happening.

I have known about this sale for a while, professionally.

I expect DIC to make a bid.

I'd rather not be owned by a state.

Some of the people who tried to buy Chelsea are also interested.
    rcs1000 said:

Please all wish me luck.

Is PB buying Liverpool?
  • Options
    I reckon Trump announces he's running tonight just after polls close.
  • Options
    Here we go!
  • Options

Best of luck RCS

Back to elections, and Nevada. Ds getting absolutely hammered in Washoe on the day voting while Clark R day lead remains significant.

I really not sure there are that many drop off ballots to counter this and, reading between the lines, neither do the Ds

I suspect that one party encouraging its supporters to vote by method X and the other party encouraging its supporters by method Y is not conducive for trust in the electoral system.
  • Options

A comment on the failure of American journalists: In the last 20 years, our reporters have become less and less diverse -- if you measure diversity by a range of opinions, rather than a range of colors. And, among Republican voters, the faith in their impartiality has gone down at the same time. So, many Republican voters are getting their information from other sources and assuming, automatically, that, for example if the New York Times says it is so, then it isn't.

Disasters, for example the 1619 project, have reinforced this, and helped to change Republican views of "mainstream" journalists from a healthy skepticism to an outright hostility.

Whatever faults the Telegraph, the Daily Mail, and other such publications have, they give the UK a range of ideas in newsprint that are not available in most US cities. A small, but telling example: My local monopoly newspaper, the Seattle Times, prints a list of famous birthdays every day -- but in recent years has refused to even mention Abraham Lincoln's.

There are exceptions, of course, such as the New York Post and, on some subjects, the Wall Street Journal.

That assessment seems to be the case, the question is what do you do about it? CNNs new owners seem to be trying to push the channel back to the canter, and I wish them luck in that,
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    @rcs1000 What's wrong with Herschel Walker. Just watched a video on him, seems he's had a remarkable career in sports so far
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,227
    It's always the descendants of slaves fault.
  • Options

A comment on the failure of American journalists: In the last 20 years, our reporters have become less and less diverse -- if you measure diversity by a range of opinions, rather than a range of colors. And, among Republican voters, the faith in their impartiality has gone down at the same time. So, many Republican voters are getting their information from other sources and assuming, automatically, that, for example if the New York Times says it is so, then it isn't.

Disasters, for example the 1619 project, have reinforced this, and helped to change Republican views of "mainstream" journalists from a healthy skepticism to an outright hostility.

Whatever faults the Telegraph, the Daily Mail, and other such publications have, they give the UK a range of ideas in newsprint that are not available in most US cities. A small, but telling example: My local monopoly newspaper, the Seattle Times, prints a list of famous birthdays every day -- but in recent years has refused to even mention Abraham Lincoln's.

There are exceptions, of course, such as the New York Post and, on some subjects, the Wall Street Journal.

There seems to be a lack of common sense in American media. Not mentioning Abraham Lincoln's birthday just because he was a Republican is a very good example.
  • Options

I remember reading about 15 years ago that US journalists voted more Dem than San Francisco did.
  • Options
    CNN suggesting early results are - tentatively - better for the GOP than expected. But marginal stuff
  • Options
    Following from last nights RPG discussion...

Ian Livingstone
    @ian_livingstone
    ·
    3h
    I had the absolute honour to receive my Knighthood today from the Princess Royal at Windsor Castle. I am incredibly proud. It was a truly humbling and wonderful experience. And it is deserved recognition of the games industry and all the brilliant people who are part of it.

https://twitter.com/ian_livingstone
  • Options
    Ooof

“Rubio wins the early vote in Dade 53%-46%”

https://twitter.com/jmilescoleman/status/1590133702935609346?s=46&t=9cEjLP5ma5I6oij60r1mRg

That’s a big result for the Reds
  • Options

I remember reading about 15 years ago that US journalists voted more Dem than San Francisco did.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2014/05/06/just-7-percent-of-journalists-are-republicans-thats-far-less-than-even-a-decade-ago/
  • Options
    “I'm speed running this and calling Florida for DeSantis + Rubio. The numbers so far from Miami-Dade show voters turning out massively for Republicans.”

https://twitter.com/px3tweets/status/1590135683393277952?s=46&t=9cEjLP5ma5I6oij60r1mRg
  • Options
    Fox saying Vance might have won Ohio
  • Options
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,007
    First Votes In: KY Constitutional Amendment 2 "No Right to Abortion in Constitution"

Yes: 2,944
    (63.6%)
    No: 1,687
    (36.4%)

Looks like first big win for pro life campaigners in their state by state effort to start restricting abortion following the SC ruling in Dobbs
    https://twitter.com/DecisionDeskHQ/status/1590120574394957824?s=20&t=e5lfYgrr8gWBSEzWLLAAEA
  • Options
    Leon said:

Well, yes, he might have. LOL

FWIW I think he will and I don't think he believes a word he has said in this campaign.

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817
    edited November 2022
    Evening all.

Am I safe to post at the midnight hour? ;)

So.... Is the GOP gonna take the Senate? Yes or no?
  • Options
    Hassan at 62% after 2% results in
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    New Hampshire 2% in

Hassan Dem 61%
    Bolduc Rep 37%
    https://www.nytimes.com/international/
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,505
    The prohibition amendment and the women's national suffrage movement were passed at nearly the same time, 1919 and 1920, respectively. Both were preceded by similar actions in states; for example, Wyoming granted women the right to vote in 1869 (and now calls itself the "equality state").

Many people were in both movements, with women predominating.

(In 1776, New Jersey granted women the right to vote in a new state constitution -- if they had enough property. Some free blacks voted in New Jersey then, too, apparently, subject to the same property requirement.

(Fun fact: As a lawyer, Lincoln defended many different people, including one early temperance advocate, a woman who broke up a saloon with a hatchet. I don't recall the outcome of the case.)
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Evening all.

Am I safe to post at the midnight hour? ;)

So.... Is the GOP gonna take the Senate? Yes or no?

I’d say Yes, they are going to take the Senate
  • Options
    Georgia results flooding in.

Why are some far faster than others?
  • Options
    CBS reporting Ohio is now leaning Vance.

• Options
    Republican majority (Senate) now out to 1.62 on betfair
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Republicans currently have 20 House seats to 6 for the Democrats of races called
  • Options
    Rubio so far +1 and Christ + 0.2 - loads of results to come.

Does smell like GOP landslide,
  • Options

Struggling a little in Georgia tho
  • Options

Ian Livingstone
    @ian_livingstone
    ·
    3h
    I had the absolute honour to receive my Knighthood today from the Princess Royal at Windsor Castle. I am incredibly proud. It was a truly humbling and wonderful experience. And it is deserved recognition of the games industry and all the brilliant people who are part of it.

Wot, no Steve Jackson??
  • Options
    Leon said:

Sorry I meant dose NOT smell like a landslide
  • Options

Georgia results flooding in.

Why are some far faster than others?

Maybe some use electronic voting machines and others use paper ballots.
  • Options

Leon said:

“Dose you dose or dose you don’t take Access?”
  • Options
    Leon said:

He was well ahead in the opinion polls.
  • Options

Ian Livingstone
    @ian_livingstone
    ·
    3h

Wot, no Steve Jackson??
    I LOVED Fighting Fantasy!

Only a geek like myself and Sunil will get that reference! :D
  • Options

Leon said:

I agree. Not a massive GOP landslide. But a definite setback for Biden and probably enough to get Trump running again
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

I agree. Not a massive GOP landslide. But a definite setback for Biden and probably enough to get Trump running again
    He was running even if the Dems had taken every seat in the Senate that was for election.

Nothing will stop Trump.

Declaration within days.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

He was running even if the Dems had taken every seat in the Senate that was for election.

Nothing will stop Trump.

Declaration within days.
    Personally I think the better the republicans do tonight the less likely it is that Trump will win the R nomination. If R do well then R, (well some of them) will realise they don't need Trump to Win.
  • Options
    13th and 15th in Florida are flips to GOP
  • Options
  • Options
    Florida senate called for Rubio
  • Options

13th and 15th in Florida are flips to GOP

Yes, but like almost all house seats, they are on new borders, so are flips from a hypothetical projection of how this seat would have voted at the last election. Even so those 2 allown have almost flipped the house.
  • Options
    De Santis governor called by Decision Desk too
  • Options
    Again it's one state and one area but...there does feel a lot more enthusiasm on the R side

https://twitter.com/RalstonReports/status/1590139414805590016

• Options
    Big big win for De Santis in Fla. He will believe he can win the presidency
  • Options
    Leon said:

Gotta push The Donald under the bus first tho...
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Leon said:

Gotta push The Donald under the bus first tho...
    Indeed

🙏

• Options
    De Santis projected to be re elected as Florida governor
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    The BE market on a GOP majority in the Senate and the market on the number of GOP seats aren't particularly well-aligned at the moment.

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/politics/market/1.179673535
    https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/politics/market/1.179676748
  • Options
    Here's something I hadn't known:
    Sen. Maggie Hassan (D) is one of the GOP’s top targets this fall. But it’s unclear if Don Bolduc, who wasn’t Republicans’ first choice to win the primary, can beat her. A retired Army general, Bolduc ran as a 2020 election denier who talked about potentially disbanding the FBI. He is trying to walk back some of these more extreme stances, including saying that after more research into the election he realized Joe Biden was the legitimate winner.
    (Links omitted.)

Well, I'm glad he did more research.

(Cross posted at Patterico's Pontifications.)
  • Options
    Tammy Duckworth projected re elected as Illinois Senator
  • Options
    Ohio 13% in Ryan 58% Vance 42%
  • Options
    Sorry. I forgot that at least a few of you are bothered by quotes from other places being shown in blockquotes.
  • Options
    Rubio projected re elected as Florida Senator
  • Options
    North Carolina 50% in

Beasley (D) 53%
    Budd (R) 45%
  • Options
    Georgia 34% in

Warnock 55%