Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Polling matters – politicalbetting.com

1789101113»

Comments

• Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,968

Coming to a Remainder Bin near you:

HarperCollins has brought forward the publication of a Liz Truss biography by Harry Cole and James Heale to include the dramatic events that led to her downfall last week.

Originally scheduled for December, Out of the Blue: The Inside Story of the Unexpected Rise and Rapid Fall of Liz Truss by the Sun’s political editor Cole and Spectator writer Heale will now be available as an e-book on 1st November, with a hardback and audio release following on 24th November.

https://www.thebookseller.com/news/harpercollins-brings-forward-release-of-liz-truss-biography-and-adds-details-of-downfall

Amazing that it’s not even a week since Starmer’s ‘out by Christmas’ quip.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,966
    edited October 2022
    mwadams said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

mwadams said:

Scott_xP said:

Hearing that Suella Braverman is making a return to cabinet less than a week after being sacked over a security breach.

One govt source even suggests she might be back as home sec, perhaps in return for endorsing Sunak. Bold move, if true.

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1584882018240057344

Urgh, I sure hope not. I can see the logic (LBJ’s maxim as John Major so eloquently put it) but if she does have to be back round the table can she not get something where she won’t do too much damage, like Commons leader or something.

If this is true, it is a gift to the opposition.
    Why? Braverman wants lower immigration and she wants to get tough on the Dinghy People

She probably has the support of 70% of UK voters. PB is not GB
    But cannot someone be found who is anti immigration and didn't just resign for incompetence?
    The Tories need someone who is able to pretend to be anti-immigration and pays attention to the headlines, whilst actually managing the issue much more deftly and flexibly. That's the usual brief for the job - the trouble with Braverman (among other things) is that she seems actually to believe when she's only supposed to be pretending.
    There's an episode of (excellent 70s drama) Colditz called "Tweedledum" about a chap who pretends to be mad to try to get repatriated. In the end, they do not know whether he is still pretending, or has really descended into madness. The Escape Committee bans anyone from trying it again.
    Played by the vg Michael Bryant I recall. Been enjoying him in the rerun of The Roads To Freedom, though the latter is a bit clunkier than the masterpiece I remember, or maybe I'm more judgmental.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited October 2022
    Surely Thérèse Coffey isn't going to be left in position...surely...

Scott n paste is going to lose his shit if Nadhim Zahawi is still in place.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,865
    This clip is damaging to Sunak and strongly viral: he needs to deal with it
    https://twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/1584902583658897414
    https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/1584901315536343043
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,907
    AlistairM said:

Pulpstar said:

Watership Down should probably be a 21 rating. 90% of 18s are far less troubling than that.

I remember being terrified of parts of it when I was a kid. All dressed up with the happy posted of rabbits on the Berkshire Downs with the U rating and then watching it with those dark and scary scenes.

Just seen this on IMDB:

The British Board of Film Classification had received complaints about this movie for over four decades after its release, due to the board's decision to classify it U (suitable for all). The BBFC admitted in 2012 that it had "received complaints about the suitability of Watership Down at U almost every year since its classification". On August 4, 2022, the film was re-rated PG after 44 years.
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078480/trivia/?ref_=tt_trv_trv
    As far as I can ascertain, there's no effective difference between PG, U and UC – unaccompanied children of any age are permitted to watch all of them. So a PG certificate is just signalling, nothing more.

Watership Down should be an R18 in my book – one of the most troubling pictures of all time!
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,642
    If the sackings are over then it was a pretty gentle one from Rishi, the headbangers should be pleased, though no doubt plenty of churn amongst those who remain.
  • Options
    AlistairM said:

Pulpstar said:

Watership Down should probably be a 21 rating. 90% of 18s are far less troubling than that.

I remember being terrified of parts of it when I was a kid. All dressed up with the happy posted of rabbits on the Berkshire Downs with the U rating and then watching it with those dark and scary scenes.

Just seen this on IMDB:

The British Board of Film Classification had received complaints about this movie for over four decades after its release, due to the board's decision to classify it U (suitable for all). The BBFC admitted in 2012 that it had "received complaints about the suitability of Watership Down at U almost every year since its classification". On August 4, 2022, the film was re-rated PG after 44 years.
    Point of order: Watership Down is in Hampshire, not Berkshire.
  • Options

AlistairM said:

Pulpstar said:

Just seen this on IMDB:

As far as I can ascertain, there's no effective difference between PG, U and UC – unaccompanied children of any age are permitted to watch all of them. So a PG certificate is just signalling, nothing more.

Watership Down should be an R18 in my book – one of the most troubling pictures of all time!
    Nah, I loved it as a child even though it was disturbing. Kids can handle scares, or even fairly mature themes, if it is well done. PG is a useful classification to signal to parents whether they need to give it a bit more thought before they allow the kid to go, which is a helpful thing to signal!
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109

AlistairM said:

Pulpstar said:

Just seen this on IMDB:

He failed the Test.
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,136

mwadams said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

mwadams said:

Scott_xP said:

Hearing that Suella Braverman is making a return to cabinet less than a week after being sacked over a security breach.

One govt source even suggests she might be back as home sec, perhaps in return for endorsing Sunak. Bold move, if true.

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1584882018240057344

Urgh, I sure hope not. I can see the logic (LBJ’s maxim as John Major so eloquently put it) but if she does have to be back round the table can she not get something where she won’t do too much damage, like Commons leader or something.

If this is true, it is a gift to the opposition.
    Why? Braverman wants lower immigration and she wants to get tough on the Dinghy People

She probably has the support of 70% of UK voters. PB is not GB
    But cannot someone be found who is anti immigration and didn't just resign for incompetence?
    The Tories need someone who is able to pretend to be anti-immigration and pays attention to the headlines, whilst actually managing the issue much more deftly and flexibly. That's the usual brief for the job - the trouble with Braverman (among other things) is that she seems actually to believe when she's only supposed to be pretending.
    There's an episode of (excellent 70s drama) Colditz called "Tweedledum" about a chap who pretends to be mad to try to get repatriated. In the end, they do not know whether he is still pretending, or has really descended into madness. The Escape Committee bans anyone from trying it again.
    Played by the vg Michael Bryant I recall. Been enjoying him in the rerun of The Roads To Freedom, though the latter is a bit clunkier than the masterpiece I remember, or maybe I'm more judgmental.
    It was indeed. A great actor.
  • Options
    Australia turning it on now.
  • Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004
    Media are visiting the pharmacy where Rishi Sunak grew up in Southampton. I know the area fairly well. It is the "Bassett Pharmacy" now but thanks to the wonders of Google StreetView and its history you can see it when it was the "Sunak Pharmacy":

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.9339043,-1.418412,3a,75y,1.93h,93.8t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sUxJPhjSfDV_0dmdJmVSxIg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

He's done very well for himself.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

AlistairM said:

Pulpstar said:

Just seen this on IMDB:

Nah, I loved it as a child even though it was disturbing. Kids can handle scares, or even fairly mature themes, if it is well done. PG is a useful classification to signal to parents whether they need to give it a bit more thought before they allow the kid to go, which is a helpful thing to signal!
    Yeah, I was (sort of) kidding. It's a great (children's) film – far superior to the anodyne shite on offer nowadays.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,592
    mwadams said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

mwadams said:

ydoethur said:

AlistairM said:

JRM doesn't write the date. He writes the Saint's Day (St. Crispin's Day, apparently). Despite it also having a Twitter and Website listed, his stationary still manages to look like it is from the 19th Century.

Jacob Rees-Mogg's resignation letter. He has told friends it was his decision to go, and would have resigned to Liz Truss last night if he didn't have to take Business Questions this morning.

So he's not completely stupid, despite his poor academic record. He knew he wasn't going to be reappointed.

The only use I can think of of 'St Crispin's Day' is in Shakespeare's Henry V in his speech before Agincourt.

If he really wanted to rub French noses in it, he should have picked 'Agincourt Day.'

Edit: here is the speech.

'This day is called the feast of Crispian:
    He that outlives this day, and comes safe home,
    Will stand a tip-toe when the day is named,
    And rouse him at the name of Crispian.
    He that shall live this day, and see old age,
    Will yearly on the vigil feast his neighbours,
    And say 'To-morrow is Saint Crispian:'
    Then will he strip his sleeve and show his scars.
    And say 'These wounds I had on Crispin's day.'
    Old men forget: yet all shall be forgot,
    But he'll remember with advantages
    What feats he did that day: then shall our names.
    Familiar in his mouth as household words
    Harry the king, Bedford and Exeter,
    Warwick and Talbot, Salisbury and Gloucester,
    Be in their flowing cups freshly remember'd.
    This story shall the good man teach his son;
    And Crispin Crispian shall ne'er go by,
    From this day to the ending of the world,
    But we in it shall be remember'd;
    We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
    Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
    This day shall gentle his condition:
    And gentlemen in England now a-bed
    Shall think themselves accursed they were not here,
    And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
    That fought with us upon St Crispian's day.'

But he couldn't even fight. He'd lost. Through his own incompetence.

Like the French...
    St Crispin is the patron saint of Cobblers.

I'll leave it at that.
    I'm always happy to say 'Shoo! Shoo!' to Moggster if he ever comes within audio range.
    Don't you think you would be being a little bit of a heel?
    No. I'll tell him off while I've got a tongue.
    I am sure you won't be the sole person to want to do that
    I've already used that. Use your eye, let's get this in order.
    Sorry, sometimes my posts lack a certain amount of polish
    We're trying to have a serious discussion about shoes, but how can we if it's laced with remarks like that?
    I am running out of shoe puns, so I will have to put a sock in it.
    You need to remain instep.
    Nailed down.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,313
    tlg86 said:

Unsurprising, but there's a pretty vile piece in the Guardian:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/oct/25/rishi-sunak-britain-first-asian-prime-minister

Alas, for Tory party members it was still preferable to elect a white woman than a brown man; just as well they won’t be able to vote on his appointment this time.

They really need to stop judging people by their own standards.
    AlistairM said:

Media are visiting the pharmacy where Rishi Sunak grew up in Southampton. I know the area fairly well. It is the "Bassett Pharmacy" now but thanks to the wonders of Google StreetView and its history you can see it when it was the "Sunak Pharmacy":

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.9339043,-1.418412,3a,75y,1.93h,93.8t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sUxJPhjSfDV_0dmdJmVSxIg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Goodness me, he keeps his humble origins and back story of hard work and parental support quiet doesn't he? I had no idea.
  • Options
    edited October 2022

AlistairM said:

Pulpstar said:

Just seen this on IMDB:

Blame wikipedia

Watership Down is an adventure novel by English author Richard Adams, published by Rex Collings Ltd of London in 1972. Set in southern England, around Berkshire, the story features a small group of rabbits

Though the real place is in a gloriously named parish it seems.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecchinswell,_Sydmonton_and_Bishops_Green

Wiki comes good though, as the opening of the story is in Berkshire.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandleford
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

mwadams said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

mwadams said:

ydoethur said:

AlistairM said:

JRM doesn't write the date. He writes the Saint's Day (St. Crispin's Day, apparently). Despite it also having a Twitter and Website listed, his stationary still manages to look like it is from the 19th Century.

Jacob Rees-Mogg's resignation letter. He has told friends it was his decision to go, and would have resigned to Liz Truss last night if he didn't have to take Business Questions this morning.

So he's not completely stupid, despite his poor academic record. He knew he wasn't going to be reappointed.

The only use I can think of of 'St Crispin's Day' is in Shakespeare's Henry V in his speech before Agincourt.

If he really wanted to rub French noses in it, he should have picked 'Agincourt Day.'

Like the French...

I'll leave it at that.
    I'm always happy to say 'Shoo! Shoo!' to Moggster if he ever comes within audio range.
    We're trying to have a serious discussion about shoes, but how can we if it's laced with remarks like that?
    Nailed down.
    I'm not sure I'm happy with that change of tack.
  • Options
    Tory MPs right now.

• Options
    AlistairM said:

His parents sacrifice will have been enormous to afford those school fees.
  • Options

AlistairM said:

Not a bad return on investment, though, was it?
  • Options
    Alok Sharma will remain COP26 President, though will no longer attend Cabinet

Makes total sense. Too many 'attends Cabinet' now anyway, and if he has no department why would he?
  • Options
    ozymandiasozymandias Posts: 1,503
    AlistairM said:

Privilege and exploitation.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,027
    AlistairM said:

Very reminiscent of the background of another PM:

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,467
    Pulpstar said:

Michael Jackson's Thriller video was rated 15 in the UK. A small problem: everyone at primary school had seen it.
  • Options

AlistairM said:

He's risen to power in the back of the drug trade.

Ironic, given Britain colonised India partly to seize control of the opium trade.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    ydoethur said:

AlistairM said:

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single woman in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of Rishi Sunak.
  • Options
    mwadams said:

Tory MPs right now.

What's the original scene?
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

AlistairM said:

Not really his fault his parents dispensed private prescriptions, is it?
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,267
    Pulpstar said:

I think Threads is less disturbing.
  • Options
    Blimey, somewhere the ghost of Harold Larwood is rocking with laughter as Glenn Maxwell takes a double pounding and even the wicketkeeper flinches.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187

AlistairM said:

Yes, though maybe not quite as enormous as it would be today. Haven't school fees increased a lot faster than inflation over the last couple of decades?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

ydoethur said:

AlistairM said:

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single woman in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of Rishi Sunak.
    That's the pride. Will some Labour commentators provide the prejudice?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

mwadams said:

Tory MPs right now.

Yes Minister S1, E1 - Jim wants everyone to stay off the phone because he is hoping for a job. It comes after the initial montage of the election.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

mwadams said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

mwadams said:

ydoethur said:

AlistairM said:

Like the French...

I'll leave it at that.
    Nailed down.
    I'm not sure I'm happy with that change of tack.
    I could last a bit longer, if only toe puff my views.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,240
    AlistairM said:

According to my Indian friends, there a whole genre of jokes appearing about mothers being disappointed if their sons don’t become PM.
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,347
    edited October 2022
    AlistairM said:

I didn't realise but I used to live very close to this shop, its near to Southampton Common and Southampton outdoor Sports Centre, its not what you would call a posh area, although Hill Lane whch it is at the top of does have some nice houses. Its a very busy road.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,576
    🧵 What do the public think of Rishi Sunak?

% who expect him to be a [x] PM
    Great/good: 25%
    Average: 29%
    Poor/terrible: 29%

(52% expected Liz Truss to be poor/terrible when she became PM)

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/international/articles-reports/2022/10/25/he-becomes-pm-what-do-people-think-rishi-sunak

• Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Pulpstar said:

Threads II. The Truss years. That was scary.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

AlistairM said:

Yes, though maybe not quite as enormous as it would be today. Haven't school fees increased a lot faster than inflation over the last couple of decades?
    They have and I think Winchester is something nuts like £50k a year. But I think even late 90s they were still £30k a year.
  • Options
    ozymandiasozymandias Posts: 1,503
    ydoethur said:

AlistairM said:

Ironic, given Britain colonised India partly to seize control of the opium trade.
    Well his parents were obviously parasitic leaches on the working class, and he's benefitted from this exploitation allowing him his privilege today. Why didn't he grow up in a wooden shack like everyone else? Bloody shocking.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited October 2022

AlistairM said:

According to my Indian friends, there a whole genre of jokes appearing about mothers being disappointed if their sons don’t become PM.
    I have had a few sent to me from Indian friends which I don't think I can repeat....
  • Options

tlg86 said:

AlistairM said:

They have and I think Winchester is something nuts like £50k a year. But I think even late 90s they were still £30k a year.
    It's amazing what rich parents can buy you.
  • Options
    mwadams said:

Carnyx said:

mwadams said:

Tory MPs right now.

Yes Minister S1, E1 - Jim wants everyone to stay off the phone because he is hoping for a job. It comes after the initial montage of the election.
    Thank you!
  • Options
    WHAT A CATCH!

Previous one was a brilliant effort but no cigar, but wow...
  • Options

ydoethur said:

AlistairM said:

Well his parents were obviously parasitic leaches on the working class, and he's benefitted from this exploitation allowing him his privilege today. Why didn't he grow up in a wooden shack like everyone else? Bloody shocking.
    Wooden shack? You were lucky. Most of us dreamed of 'aving a wooden shack as we cowered in our leaky shoebox.
  • Options

AlistairM said:

Back in the 80s, school fees at the top private schools were low enough that teachers, university lecturers and nurses could send their children to them, with some sacrifice and hoping for a bursary.

My old school is now £40k a year.
  • Options

AlistairM said:

Back in the 80s, school fees at the top private schools were low enough that teachers, university lecturers and nurses could send their children to them, with some sacrifice and hoping for a bursary.

I don't want to upset you, but Rishi Rich is only 42. He went to public school in the 1990s.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,576
    Which of the following best reflects your view?

It is better Sunak was chosen as a single candidate and avoided a members vote: 55%
    Would have been better with a members vote between Sunak, Johnson and Mordaunt: 19%

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/survey-results/daily/2022/10/24/94179/3

61% Con voters for single candidate.
  • Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004

AlistairM said:

I didn't realise but I used to live very close to this shop, its near to Southampton Common and Southampton outdoor Sports Centre, its not what you would call a posh area, although Hill Lane whch it is at the top of does have some nice houses. Its a very busy road.
    I have some friends who live within a few hundred metres of there. I used to live in the vicinity on and off for a while. It is a very busy area and despite being next to the Common it is not well-to-do at all.

I am surprised he has not made more of this as it would really help people appreciate that he knows how they feel. His parents would've spent most of their money educating their children and must have made huge sacrifices. He probably has a tougher backstory than most of his political peers.
  • Options
    I don't care what else happens, that's got to be the catch of the tournament.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

It was noticeable that Sunak stressed “control of our borders” in his speech. As a brown person he might feel able to take a firmer line on, say, Channel crossers

Hmm

I absolutely expect him to be firm on this.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Anyone able to name the four education secretaries we've already had this year, in order?

All been downhill since Williamson got sacked from it?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,923
    @LostPassword

The Kyiv Independent
    @KyivIndependent
    However, Sunak has come under fire because his wife owns a stake in Insofys - an Indian IT company that has operations in Moscow and reportedly has links to a major Russian bank. He denied accusations that his family is profiting from Russian dictator Vladimir Putin's regime.

https://mobile.twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1584889895453347841

OK...

Infosys is an enormous company. It has over 250,000 employees, and is one of the world's largest computing services companies.

It will enter into multi-year outsourcing contracts, particularly with entities such as banks. (Twenty year terms to run old applications on AS400/S360 systems are far from uncommon.)

Statistically, the chances of it not having a contract with at least one Russian bank are close to zero. But, do Russian banks make up a meaningful percentage of revenues and profits (i.e. more than 1%)? I would be staggered if they did.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Anyone able to name the four education secretaries we've already had this year, in order?

Zahawi, Donelan, Cleverly, Malthouse.

Not really, they're all rubbish.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,059

It is better Sunak was chosen as a single candidate and avoided a members vote: 55%
    Would have been better with a members vote between Sunak, Johnson and Mordaunt: 19%

Well! That poll is somewhat spurious, as anyone with a grain of sense would have gone "single candidate" simply to sink Johnson.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Peter Tatchell arrested in Qatar. An activist that doesn't dodge the tough gigs or only go for easy targets.

I rarely agree with him but boy do I respect him.
  • Options

I got that in a survey earlier today.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Give Donelan some credit, she was only in post 48 hours! How bad could she have been?

Williamson is in fact the longest serving Education Secretary since July 2014.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Is this part of the new history GCSE?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Give Donelan some credit, she was only in post 48 hours! How bad could she have been?
    She was Minister for Schools before.

And she was rubbish.
  • Options

New Rishi, New thread

• Options
    edited October 2022
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

AlistairM said:

Wooden shack? You were lucky. Most of us dreamed of 'aving a wooden shack as we cowered in our leaky shoebox.
    {prybar lid off a double case of the usual}

You ‘ad a leaky shoebox. You were lucky. We dreamed of having a shoebox. We dreamed of having a leak….
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518

AlistairM said:

The counter being that he wasn’t good enough to be a doctor or a lawyer so has to settle.

• Options
    Jonathan said:

AlistairM said:

I don't want to upset you, but Rishi Rich is only 42. He went to public school in the 1990s.
    Not upset. The mad inflation in school fees really took hold post 2000, I think.

Interestingly, some schools are pushing back. My youngest daughters school is near to getting 25% of the intake on full scholarships. They’ve created a massive foundation, American style, to pay for it. The explicit reason for this is to broaden the intake again.

A friend sending children to Harrow remarked that most of the parents in their class have their own Wikipedia pages. And not on a good way, very often.
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,910
    rcs1000 said:

@LostPassword

The Kyiv Independent
    @KyivIndependent
    However, Sunak has come under fire because his wife owns a stake in Insofys - an Indian IT company that has operations in Moscow and reportedly has links to a major Russian bank. He denied accusations that his family is profiting from Russian dictator Vladimir Putin's regime.

https://mobile.twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1584889895453347841

OK...

Infosys is an enormous company. It has over 250,000 employees, and is one of the world's largest computing services companies.

It will enter into multi-year outsourcing contracts, particularly with entities such as banks. (Twenty year terms to run old applications on AS400/S360 systems are far from uncommon.)

Statistically, the chances of it not having a contract with at least one Russian bank are close to zero. But, do Russian banks make up a meaningful percentage of revenues and profits (i.e. more than 1%)? I would be staggered if they did.

Now I'm having AS400 'nam-style flashbacks. THANKS VERY MUCH.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811

Experts say important evidence has been overlooked during scrutiny of the GRR Bill, and warn against removing medical oversight as this will "certainly" harm kids. Hard to see how MSPs can support these plans on Thu given such acute concerns about scrutiny and central provisions.

https://twitter.com/jmgillies/status/1584825622747959296

“Overlooked” is very diplomatic, “ignored”, “rejected out of hand” “dismissed as not valid” would be nearer the mark.

Yes and thinking anyone of them will disobey an order from Imelda is a laugh
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,378
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,378
    kle4 said:

Makes total sense. Too many 'attends Cabinet' now anyway, and if he has no department why would he?

Without further announcements, that's an apparent downgrade of climate commitments.
    And Sharma seems to be one of the more competent members of government.

Still, we haven't had the actual appointments yet.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

Without further announcements, that's an apparent downgrade of climate commitments.
    And Sharma seems to be one of the more competent members of government.

Still, we haven't had the actual appointments yet.
    Apparent being the key word. Making that role 'attends Cabinet' doesn't make it any more important, I'd say. So I don' t think it automatically means it is downgraded, even if it looks like it - time will tell.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,313

AlistairM said:

Very reminiscent of the background of another PM:

Robert Walpole?
This discussion has been closed.