Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Polling matters – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options

IanB2 said:

Pulpstar said:

Morton gone.

Making a chocolate teapot the chief whip was never going to end well

Come on, Coffey out next.....
    Coffey will stay IMHO. Element of continuity and didn’t seem to do such a terrible job at DWP. Needs to be moved from Health. Put her in local government or something not too high profile.
    She's a bedblocker. Out.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,324

IanB2 said:

Pulpstar said:

Morton gone.

Coffey will stay IMHO. Element of continuity and didn’t seem to do such a terrible job at DWP. Needs to be moved from Health. Put her in local government or something not too high profile.
    She adds some ballast to the cabinet, but not much else.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,070
    Andy_JS said:

Scott_xP said:

Hearing that Suella Braverman is making a return to cabinet less than a week after being sacked over a security breach.

One govt source even suggests she might be back as home sec, perhaps in return for endorsing Sunak. Bold move, if true.

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1584882018240057344

That would annoy a lot of people.
    I think the fact that it would 'annoy' people is irrelevant – it's more that an incompetent moron will be back in the cabinet.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,901
    Will there be a deputy position or first secretary, perhaps as a sop appointment. Eg Penny doesnt getva top job but gets deputy.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,414
    mwadams said:

Scott_xP said:

Hearing that Suella Braverman is making a return to cabinet less than a week after being sacked over a security breach.

One govt source even suggests she might be back as home sec, perhaps in return for endorsing Sunak. Bold move, if true.

Urgh, I sure hope not. I can see the logic (LBJ’s maxim as John Major so eloquently put it) but if she does have to be back round the table can she not get something where she won’t do too much damage, like Commons leader or something.

If this is true, it is a gift to the opposition.
    Why? Braverman wants lower immigration and she wants to get tough on the Dinghy People

She probably has the support of 70% of UK voters. PB is not GB
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Pulpstar said:

Morton gone.

She's a bedblocker. Out.
    A Cabinet without Coffey
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Braverman might get a job - it was probably her (Along with Badenoch) lack of support that did for Johnson's chances.

That really is depressing. More of a prisoner of the loons than we might think. Hopefully it's not a very big one.
    I don't see what she does for him. Out.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,488

Pulpstar said:

Braverman might get a job - it was probably her (Along with Badenoch) lack of support that did for Johnson's chances.

That really is depressing. More of a prisoner of the loons than we might think. Hopefully it's not a very big one.
    I think given the need to establish party unity he does need to keep the right on side. However making Cruella Home Secretary is not the right way to go about it. They need to be in positions that give them a sense of importance but don’t cause too many problems.
  • Options
    Leon said:

mwadams said:

Scott_xP said:

Urgh, I sure hope not. I can see the logic (LBJ’s maxim as John Major so eloquently put it) but if she does have to be back round the table can she not get something where she won’t do too much damage, like Commons leader or something.

Why? Braverman wants lower immigration and she wants to get tough on the Dinghy People

But cannot someone be found who is anti immigration and didn't just resign for incompetence?
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,347
    edited October 2022

biggles said:

Leon said:

biggles said:

If Boris had the 100 votes I can't believe that the reason he didn't stand was for any of that unity-of-the-party crap. More likely a delegation of Tory grandees approached him and it went like this: 'Boris, you know all those lucrative executive positions you'll be offered when you leave parliament? Well, if you try to become PM again we'll make sure they never happen.'

He’s not a pantomime villain. He’s not pure evil. All people are complex. He probably realised he’d only get to lead a leasable party AND honestly felt that would be bad for the country as well as him AND calculated his best chance of a second go is from opposition by acclamation.

Boris’ political time has surely come and gone, now

His job was

1 win the Brexit referendum
    2 defeat Corbyn soundly
    3 do Brexit

He did all that - and did pretty well on Ukraine and very well on vaccines

Now he will soak up the money. He will not get a Churchillian Restoration
    I agree. But I suspect he entertains the fantasy there’s a chance. And this was the wrong moment for his fantasy to play out has he would wish.
    But by trying now, he's damaged a chance for later however.
    But I don't see a route back for him now this decade.
    2024 - Sunak win - that'll close off Boris for another five years.
    2024 - Starmer win - that'll also close him off till 2029, and Boris won't do opposition I think.
    And 2029 itself? He'll be 66. A young whippersnapper in US terms but in this country we do like our PMs to be between 40 and 60 when taking office usually.
    I agree with the post above though, there’s a massive landing zone for a very weak minority Labour administration after 2024 (a majority is too big a leap in one go, the LibDems will be allergic to a coalition, and the SNP still in force). In those circumstances I reckon Boris has a chance of both being picked, and of doing well in his own terms.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,093

Pulpstar said:

I don't see what she does for him. Out.
    Quid pro quo for backing him and not BoZo this weekend

It would be delicious if he now shafted her
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Pulpstar said:

Morton gone.

She's a bedblocker. Out.
    A Cabinet without Coffey
    Yes, decaffeinated.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    Whatever the rights or wrongs of her policy choices, Braverman is a loose cannon. If Sunak is to have any hope of recovering in the polls, he needs a Starmer-like zero tolerance approach to loose cannons.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,785
    Leon said:

And Lo

“You have power, Rishi Sunak. Use it. Rejoin the single market and customs union”

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/oct/25/rishi-sunak-rejoin-single-market-customs-union-brexit-lies

Sunak won’t do this. Starmer might

Not exactly in the 2019 manifesto, was it?
  • Options
    Leon said:

mwadams said:

Scott_xP said:

She does however come across as a mean spirited loon.

Kemi is the natural choice for HS if you were giving it to the right IMHO. Also for Sunak has the advantage of giving her a chance to mess up, and undermine her leadership ambitions.

• Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,144
    Leon said:

mwadams said:

Scott_xP said:

Yes, but a week ago she was fired for self-admitted gross incompetence. That's the gift in question.
  • Options
    WillGWillG Posts: 2,110

Leon said:

And Lo

“You have power, Rishi Sunak. Use it. Rejoin the single market and customs union”

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/oct/25/rishi-sunak-rejoin-single-market-customs-union-brexit-lies

Sunak won’t do this. Starmer might

Not exactly in the 2019 manifesto, was it?
    Bringing back uncontrolled immigration from the EU is madness.
  • Options
    biggles said:

biggles said:

Leon said:

biggles said:

If Boris had the 100 votes I can't believe that the reason he didn't stand was for any of that unity-of-the-party crap. More likely a delegation of Tory grandees approached him and it went like this: 'Boris, you know all those lucrative executive positions you'll be offered when you leave parliament? Well, if you try to become PM again we'll make sure they never happen.'

He’s not a pantomime villain. He’s not pure evil. All people are complex. He probably realised he’d only get to lead a leasable party AND honestly felt that would be bad for the country as well as him AND calculated his best chance of a second go is from opposition by acclamation.

Boris’ political time has surely come and gone, now

His job was

1 win the Brexit referendum
    2 defeat Corbyn soundly
    3 do Brexit

He did all that - and did pretty well on Ukraine and very well on vaccines

Now he will soak up the money. He will not get a Churchillian Restoration
    I agree. But I suspect he entertains the fantasy there’s a chance. And this was the wrong moment for his fantasy to play out has he would wish.
    But by trying now, he's damaged a chance for later however.
    But I don't see a route back for him now this decade.
    2024 - Sunak win - that'll close off Boris for another five years.
    2024 - Starmer win - that'll also close him off till 2029, and Boris won't do opposition I think.
    And 2029 itself? He'll be 66. A young whippersnapper in US terms but in this country we do like our PMs to be between 40 and 60 when taking office usually.
    I agree with the post above though, there’s a massive landing zone for a very weak minority Labour administration after 2024 (a majority is too big a leap in one go, the LibDems will be allergic to a coalition, and the SNP still in force). In those circumstances I reckon Boris has a chance of both being picked, and of doing well in his own terms.
    Not if the Privileges Committee does the right thing and buries his career for good. Helped along by the good people of Uxbridge, if needs be.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,482
    Nigelb said:

NEW: Rishi Sunak becomes Prime Minister.

pictures just released show him meeting the King. Sunak becomes Charles’ second prime minister, of a reign itself not even two months old.

https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1584856028255920128

Nice carpet.
    Cute horse.

Having grown up in farmhouse, wonder what it’s like living in BIG rooms?

“What are you doing?”
    “I’m going over to the writing table. Just waiting for the chauffeur driven car.”
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,906
    You can be tough as a HS without looking like you take delight in the misery of others .

Bravermans despicable comments at the Tory conference should never be forgotten !
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

mwadams said:

Scott_xP said:

But cannot someone be found who is anti immigration and didn't just resign for incompetence?
    The Tories need someone who is able to pretend to be anti-immigration and pays attention to the headlines, whilst actually managing the issue much more deftly and flexibly. That's the usual brief for the job - the trouble with Braverman (among other things) is that she seems actually to believe when she's only supposed to be pretending.
  • Options
    Some good news

“City of London workers have returned to their desks in the greatest numbers since the pandemic as employers push staff to spend more time in the office amid turbulent markets.

More than three in four workers in the financial district were back at their workplace on Oct. 13, according to data compiled by Google, which tracks the movement of some of its users.”

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-10-25/market-turmoil-sends-city-of-london-workers-back-to-the-office
  • Options
    Morton - how many people get to resign from the same job twice in a week?
  • Options
    Braverman might be floated to make rewarding Raab with HS seem less of an issue.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,052

Leon said:

mwadams said:

Scott_xP said:

Kemi is the natural choice for HS if you were giving it to the right IMHO. Also for Sunak has the advantage of giving her a chance to mess up, and undermine her leadership ambitions.

I haven't seen a great deal of Kemi but she doesn't strike me as a loon.
  • Options
    Why is Gove being so quiet?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

mwadams said:

Scott_xP said:

The Tories need someone who is able to pretend to be anti-immigration and pays attention to the headlines, whilst actually managing the issue much more deftly and flexibly. That's the usual brief for the job - the trouble with Braverman (among other things) is that she seems actually to believe when she's only supposed to be pretending.
    There's an episode of (excellent 70s drama) Colditz called "Tweedledum" about a chap who pretends to be mad to try to get repatriated. In the end, they do not know whether he is still pretending, or has really descended into madness. The Escape Committee bans anyone from trying it again.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,321

Overdid it at the party last night?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

mwadams said:

Scott_xP said:

If Sunak wants even a slender chance of winning in 24, he has to unite the Tory party. He needs right wingers in his Cabinet with serious power. Getting to grips with immigration - esp the Channel - would be an enormous Win
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,792
    "Jacob Rees-Mogg: Why I no longer believe Rishi Sunak is a socialist

The Business Secretary said he would now be willing to serve in the new prime minister's cabinet in the name of Tory unity" (£)

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/10/25/jacob-rees-mogg-rishi-sunak-socialist-cabinet/
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,560
    I don't know why people keep wittering on about Brexit/the EU. Nothing at all will happen on this until after the next GE, or more likely the one after. Starmer won't touch it with a bargepole. The most he'll say is "we want closer cooperation with our EU neighbours". That's it.
  • Options
    Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

mwadams said:

Scott_xP said:

If Sunak wants even a slender chance of winning in 24, he has to unite the Tory party. He needs right wingers in his Cabinet with serious power. Getting to grips with immigration - esp the Channel - would be an enormous Win
    in that case, it's even more important that he keeps idiots like Braverman away from it.
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522

Scott_xP said:

Meet Rishi Sunak, Britain's new PM who is only 42, meaning he'll probably serve well into his 42-and-a-halves https://twitter.com/TheDailyShow/status/1584878439944921088/video/1

42 is the Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe and Everything.

Just saying.....
    That's only true if we work in base 13. Rishi Sunak is 33.
    IIRC, Pratchett denied even he was geeky enough to write a joke in base 13.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Some good news

“City of London workers have returned to their desks in the greatest numbers since the pandemic as employers push staff to spend more time in the office amid turbulent markets.

More than three in four workers in the financial district were back at their workplace on Oct. 13, according to data compiled by Google, which tracks the movement of some of its users.”

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-10-25/market-turmoil-sends-city-of-london-workers-back-to-the-office

Maybe the fantastic Elizabeth Line has something to do with this.
  • Options

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Decent speech by Sunak. But he is highly unlikely to win in ‘24. Starmer will take over… and do what?

I’ve always thought - and said on here - that the EU would become an issue if the polls reached 60/40 in favour of Rejoin. No government can ignore that

👇

It will become an issue but I see no prospect of Labour touching this in its first term. I also don't think 60:40 is good enough for the EU to risk having us back or for Labour to risk going near this. I think 70:30 is the kind of level where it would happen. Maybe in 10 years. It will happen though because Brexit was simply, objectively, the wrong decision and eventually enough people will see that for it to be overturned. And what a sad waste of everyone's time and energy it will have been.
    60/40 is enough for Starmer to push for SM membership, especially at a time when business will be screaming for assistance

That’s do-able for Labour. And Starmer is a staunch Remainer who wanted a 2nd vote

It solves the NI problem. The EU will likely agree. FoM is the thorny bit. But in dark times I can see Starmer selling it successfully
    Hello.

But ... hang on.

Is this a change of mind? You come across today as in favour of this but only a matter of weeks ago you were pouring invective on "remoaners" and wokerati for their evil plotting that would see us rejoin the EU.

I don't have a problem if you've changed your standpoint but have you?
    I’m merely observing a big shift in sentiment: in that poll. And noting that it gives Starmer a window of opportunity to get closer to the EU (and solve the NI issue)

I detest the idea of Rejoining. I also think it is unlikely

I am maybe persuadable on the SM. I was always a soft Leaver. I wanted us to go to EEA/EFTA as a holding position with minimal damage, then plot our course further out, over time
    Park remain as an option, drop "remoaner". What we have done has cost us billions. If Sunak wants to cut services less he can get those billions back into the economy by removing our self-imposed trading barriers. Not rejoin. Not even EEA yet. Just ending the petulant war and accepting we need them.
    What do you think can be done without rejoining the customs union or single market? If it's align on everything we might as well just rejoin the whole thing.
    We are already almost entirely aligned. Drop the bullshit pretence about us forging our own path, agree with the EU that we are aligned. So:
    Mutually drop standards checks.
    Mutually drop all the carnet bullshit which has crippled various industries including bands and events
    Agree the lightest of light touch customs regimes. Our standards are their standards so no need to check
    Add us back into the various European schemes we demanded to be excluded from - not having to be fingerprinted next time I travel to the EU after their new ID scheme comes into being as an example.

There are stacks of things we can ask to be removed. Almost all of which are only there because we demanded to be tret as a third country.
  • Options
    mwadams said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

mwadams said:

Scott_xP said:

There's an episode of (excellent 70s drama) Colditz called "Tweedledum" about a chap who pretends to be mad to try to get repatriated. In the end, they do not know whether he is still pretending, or has really descended into madness. The Escape Committee bans anyone from trying it again.
    I saw that episode in my childhood. It has always haunted me
  • Options

The Curious Incident of the Gove in the Night-Time.
  • Options

Waiting to see what the new administrations policies on drugs are?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

The Business Secretary said he would now be willing to serve in the new prime minister's cabinet in the name of Tory unity" (£)

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/10/25/jacob-rees-mogg-rishi-sunak-socialist-cabinet/

How generous of him.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,785
    Experts say important evidence has been overlooked during scrutiny of the GRR Bill, and warn against removing medical oversight as this will "certainly" harm kids. Hard to see how MSPs can support these plans on Thu given such acute concerns about scrutiny and central provisions.

https://twitter.com/jmgillies/status/1584825622747959296

“Overlooked” is very diplomatic, “ignored”, “rejected out of hand” “dismissed as not valid” would be nearer the mark.
  • Options

Leon said:

mwadams said:

Scott_xP said:

I haven't seen a great deal of Kemi but she doesn't strike me as a loon.
    The reference was to Suella, but appreciate it wasn’t particularly clear from the post!
  • Options
    Braverman's politics are totally irrelevant. She resigned a week ago because she broke the Ministerial Code, by her own admission. If she wants another post, she'll have to wait at least a year.

Sunak would be making a big mistake to give her a job now, as it would call into doubt the 'integrity' he has promised.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    mwadams said:

Andy_JS said:

How generous of him.
    I could do them a balanced piece in reply:

'Why do I still believe Jacob Rees-Mogg is a twat?'

article consists of one sentence:

'He is one.'
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,081

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

algarkirk said:

Agree. But there is a fascinating question, only to be guessed about at this moment.

In 1992 the Tories lost their reputation and nothing from 1992-1997 stopped them being thrown out in a landslide, despite having a fairly decent team trying to repair things.

Do things happen faster now? It it thinkable that in two years the Tories do the impossible and prevent a Labour victory. The 1990s feel like a vanished age now.

Rishi could, and should, construct a team, centrist and moderate, that appears more capable than Labour's. In particular the shadow CoE is not formidable in the sense that Brown or Darling were. This is a weakness.

Results other than a Labour led government next time could become thinkable. Bet accordingly.

If I had bet on a Labour government I’d take profit at this point. It’s unlikely to get b tree for them

But you are a right-wing tory and, forgive me for saying, unable therefore to be objective.

No party comes back from this polling debacle. Never has. Never will. Period.

They blew it. Lost the confidence of the British people.

If you want to bet on a Conservative Party victory of any sort you need to wait 15 years.
    The polling move was so fast and violent that it strikes me as shallow.

Black Wednesday. 1992-7. It happens. Fast, violent, visceral, palpable, real, and long-lasting.

The tories are in for a shellacking next time and will then be out of power for at least a decade.
    We can but hope. But @StillWaters has a point. In many ways the current polling swing is very different from and much more dramatic than 1992-7:

"Look at the share not the lead"

Looking at Tory share, 2019 look much more comparable.

Not saying there'll be a recovery for the Tories like that, I doubt there will be personally, but it's absolutely possible and has happened before.
    Uh, no. Not in anyway comparable imho.

Parliament was deadlocked, Leavers and Remainers were sick and tired of Brexit jamming everything. Nothing comparable about today's situation. In that sense 1992 (Tory economic incompetence) is much more similar.

Never underestimate the way that the electorate will punish perceived economic mismanagement. Each of 1970, 1974, 1979, 1997 and 2010 is an example of that.
    I do find it mildly amusing that the Tories are going to be punished for something they didn’t do, while people are ignoring the reason why they should be punished (inability to manage a budget)
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Leon said:

mwadams said:

Scott_xP said:

Have you looked at polling on immigration recently?
  • Options
    Leon said:

mwadams said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

mwadams said:

Scott_xP said:

The TV that most affected me in childhood are that, and the episode of 'Secret Army' called "Radishes with Butter".
  • Options
    mwadams said:

Leon said:

mwadams said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

mwadams said:

Scott_xP said:

The TV that most affected me in childhood are that, and the episode of 'Secret Army' called "Radishes with Butter".
    Gerard Glaister was an under-appreciated genius
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,272
    HYUFD said:

So in the end Dom won hands down. Boris gone. Crackers lady gone in record time. His protegee Rishi now master of all he surveys. Job done.

Unless Starmer wins in 2024
    The Conservatives are going to win 2024 quite comfortably, despite my protestations that the economy would kill them. Sunak/ Hunt will push the cuts and tax rises until after the next election, and the markets will be comfortable with that, and we can borrow more for infrastructure investment. Sunak has been very careful to promote the narrative that everything was hunky-dory until Truss/Kwarteng.

I realise I will never see a non- Conservative Government in my lifetime. It is a somewhat rather depressing thought.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,482
    mwadams said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

mwadams said:

Scott_xP said:

Klinger and Yossarian tried the same. There was a catch 22 to the tactic.
  • Options
    Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

mwadams said:

Scott_xP said:

I agree somewhat with the principle of this. I can tell there is a lot of enthusiasm here for Sunak to clear out the cabinet and start again (a wish that for the most part, I share), but the goal of today isn’t to antagonise any faction of the party. It’s to appear statesmanlike and consensual. It’s not to make Truss’ mistake and make the cabinet overly factional. To that end, whilst I am delighted to see the back of characters like JRM, a balance will need to be struck.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

So in the end Dom won hands down. Boris gone. Crackers lady gone in record time. His protegee Rishi now master of all he surveys. Job done.

The Conservatives are going to win 2024 quite comfortably, despite my protestations that the economy would kill them. Sunak/ Hunt will push the cuts and tax rises until after the next election, and the markets will be comfortable with that, and we can borrow more for infrastructure investment. Sunak has been very careful to promote the narrative that everything was hunky-dory until Truss/Kwarteng.

I realise I will never see a non- Conservative Government in my lifetime. It is a somewhat rather depressing thought.
    At least you'll be rich, from your winnings.
  • Options
    mwadams said:

Leon said:

mwadams said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

mwadams said:

Scott_xP said:

Quatermass and The Pit. It was already old TV in the 70s but it still freaked me out as a boy. The weird locust-like aliens. The terrible SFX. Hob’s End!

Great TV. Brilliant idea. Remake due
  • Options
    ozymandiasozymandias Posts: 1,503
    mwadams said:

Leon said:

mwadams said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

mwadams said:

Scott_xP said:

Tripods and Tales of the Unexpected were most unsettling. Shame on my parents for letting me watch them.
  • Options
    Chloe Shit is sacked after her 5 minutes running DWP
  • Options
    I don't see the main problem as factionalism. It's that a whole load of third rate people have come to feel entitled to ministerial office.
  • Options
    Look, just sack the entire Truss ministerial team and start with a blank sheet of paper. Would be easier and give more reassurance to people.
  • Options

mwadams said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

mwadams said:

Scott_xP said:

Klinger and Yossarian tried the same. There was a catch 22 to the tactic.
    Interestingly, the real-life Colditz escape on which it was based was successful (and repeated).

The fascinating thing about this story is the impact it had on those who were with him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ion_Ferguson
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Bloody hell, I thought I was a miserable pessimist, but I've got nothing on you.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

mwadams said:

Leon said:

mwadams said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

mwadams said:

Scott_xP said:

Gerard Glaister was an under-appreciated genius
    Wholly agree.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137

Sunak believes "Gove will tear us apart. Again...."?
  • Options
    mwadams said:

Leon said:

mwadams said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

mwadams said:

Scott_xP said:

Italia 90 semi final and the '92 election for me
  • Options
    DJ41DJ41 Posts: 792
    edited October 2022

mwadams said:

Leon said:

mwadams said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

mwadams said:

Scott_xP said:

Tripods and Tales of the Unexpected were most unsettling. Shame on my parents for letting me watch them.
    Did none of you watch Johnny Go Home, made by YTV in 1975?
  • Options
    Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

mwadams said:

Scott_xP said:

I actually agree, he needs someone of that type. But why her?
  • Options

She can spend the time now trying to save her seat.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,972
    edited October 2022

mwadams said:

Leon said:

mwadams said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

mwadams said:

Scott_xP said:

The TV that most affected me in childhood are that, and the episode of 'Secret Army'
    called "Radishes with Butter".

Tripods and Tales of the Unexpected were
    most unsettling. Shame on my parents for letting me watch them.
    Talking of Tripods I’ve got three episodes into War of the Worlds on Disney and it’s very bleak and brutal. It’s an Anglo-French series with Gabriel Byrne, the Countess from Downton amongst others but very well made and filmed split between London, Paris, Alps near Grenoble so far.

I had to stop watching last night as I feared for some babies in a hospital in it as they don’t hold back with the brutality (not graphic but cold) whether adult or child.

Had a feel of 28 days later too with the empty cityscapes.

• Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004
    JRM doesn't write the date. He writes the Saint's Day (St. Crispin's Day, apparently). Despite it also having a Twitter and Website listed, his stationary still manages to look like it is from the 19th Century.

Jacob Rees-Mogg's resignation letter. He has told friends it was his decision to go, and would have resigned to Liz Truss last night if he didn't have to take Business Questions this morning.

https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1584889949991497729
  • Options
    edited October 2022

Remember the Norwich North by-election in 2009? She was the youngest MP.
  • Options
    Leon said:

mwadams said:

Leon said:

mwadams said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

mwadams said:

Scott_xP said:

Quatermass and The Pit. It was already old TV in the 70s but it still freaked me out as a boy. The weird locust-like aliens. The terrible SFX. Hob’s End!

I agree - I'd like to see a modern take on Pit (with all the usual trepidation that they'd miss the point, but hey!)
    (Slightly) more recently, Ghostwatch was also terrific.
  • Options
    DJ41DJ41 Posts: 792
    edited October 2022

Please can the following NOT be in the cabinet:

Patel
    Williamson
    Braverman
    Gove
    Hancock
    Zahawi
    Kwarteng
    McVey
    Rees-Mogg
    Javid
    anyone who idolises Ayn Rand
    anyone who was ever fired for lying
  • Options
    DJ41 said:

Patel
    Williamson
    Braverman
    Gove
    Hancock
    Gavin Williamson has been spotted walking around the corridors of power.
  • Options
    DJ41 said:

Patel
    Williamson
    Braverman
    Gove
    Hancock
    Zahawi
    Kwarteng
    McVey
    ManCock was totally blanked by Rishi yesterday, so hopefully that will continue.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    AlistairM said:

JRM doesn't write the date. He writes the Saint's Day (St. Crispin's Day, apparently). Despite it also having a Twitter and Website listed, his stationary still manages to look like it is from the 19th Century.

Jacob Rees-Mogg's resignation letter. He has told friends it was his decision to go, and would have resigned to Liz Truss last night if he didn't have to take Business Questions this morning.

So he's not completely stupid, despite his poor academic record. He knew he wasn't going to be reappointed.

The only use I can think of of 'St Crispin's Day' is in Shakespeare's Henry V in his speech before Agincourt.

If he really wanted to rub French noses in it, he should have picked 'Agincourt Day.'

Edit: here is the speech.

'This day is called the feast of Crispian:
    He that outlives this day, and comes safe home,
    Will stand a tip-toe when the day is named,
    And rouse him at the name of Crispian.
    He that shall live this day, and see old age,
    Will yearly on the vigil feast his neighbours,
    And say 'To-morrow is Saint Crispian:'
    Then will he strip his sleeve and show his scars.
    And say 'These wounds I had on Crispin's day.'
    Old men forget: yet all shall be forgot,
    But he'll remember with advantages
    What feats he did that day: then shall our names.
    Familiar in his mouth as household words
    Harry the king, Bedford and Exeter,
    Warwick and Talbot, Salisbury and Gloucester,
    Be in their flowing cups freshly remember'd.
    This story shall the good man teach his son;
    And Crispin Crispian shall ne'er go by,
    From this day to the ending of the world,
    But we in it shall be remember'd;
    We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
    Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
    This day shall gentle his condition:
    And gentlemen in England now a-bed
    Shall think themselves accursed they were not here,
    And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
    That fought with us upon St Crispian's day.'

But he couldn't even fight. He'd lost. Through his own incompetence.

Like the French...
  • Options
    Old TV or films from childhood that deeply left a mark? Watership Down, without question

One of these posters is more accurate about the tone.

• Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,906
    Not sure putting Braverman who technically broke the ministerial code returning into a high profile position like HS is a good look for alleged integrity under Sunak .

I understand he might feel he needs to give her a job but he surely could have said with justification that she can’t have HS.
  • Options
    Leon said:

mwadams said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

mwadams said:

Scott_xP said:

Was it the start of your descent into lunacy and paranoia that ultimately resulted in you supporting Boris Johnson and being one of the few intelligent people that genuinely believe that there are "benefits of Brexit"?
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,951
    DJ41 said:

Patel
    Williamson
    Braverman
    Gove
    Hancock
    I agree on all of these.

Gove and Hancock especially. Lockdown fans both apparently.... The other three were just a bit rubbish AFAICS
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,081
    Selebian said:

DJ41 said:

Background for journalists about Rishi Sunak and Winchester College (part 2/2)

5. All of the boys attend classes in the same classrooms, but it's where they "live" that counts.

The 70 "scholars" sleep, dine, and study in the original 14th century buildings. These include "Hall", a room that would make many people think of the dining hall in the Harry Potter films. They also include the chapel, where scholars attend "Preces" (prayers) every evening.

The 600 "commoners", on the other hand, sleep, dine, and study in 19th and 20th century buildings. The idea that life in the "houses" has anything to do with William of Wykeham, the famous pimp, bishop, Chancellor of England, and Chaplain of the Order of the Garter, is rubbish. The notion is as fake as the Cambridge college where "dons" speak of "combining" in the "Old Library" and you find out it was built in the 1970s.

6. In both parts of the school, favoured boys are appointed as "prefects".

In the houses, these are divided into "house prefects" who have authority over the boys in their house (of around 60 boys) and "school prefects" (Co Praes) who have authority over all commoners. The top commoner prefect is called the Sen Co Prae. No commoner prefect has any authority over a boy who is in College.

College has its own prefects, the top one being called the Aulae Prae, or "Prefect of Hall". It's the Aulae Prae who does things like reading the address when a distinguished guest is welcomed ceremonially through the school gates (gates which of course lead into College, not into a house). It's the Aulae Prae who is basically the head boy of Winchester College, although technically he is joint head boy with the Sen Co Prae.

Rishi Sunak was the Sen Co Prae.

7. Boris Johnson was in the Eton equivalent of "College", having been a "King's Scholar". He was also "Captain of School". The Captain of School is the Eton equivalent of the Aulae Prae and is always in "College". In short: Johnson really was the head boy at Eton, whereas Sunak was only head commoner at Winchester, the top authority among the boys who belonged to the less academic part of the school, the 19th century part.

All sounds very relatable.
    I was Deputy Head Boy at my local comp. Makes me about the same as Sunak, then?
    Was Johnson Captain of School? I’ve never heard it mentioned before. He was definitely in Pop and a Tug, but don’t think he was that distinguished

• Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    Andy_JS said:

Remember the Norwich North by-election in 2009? She was the youngest MP.
    Oh, now I know who that unhinged comment was about.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

What are you complaining about? We have had a non-Conservative government since 2019.

I am pleased and relieved that the Conservatives are back in charge.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,961
    Sunak should offer Boris the chance to show he really has changed into a man that could run the country by offering him the local government post.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,662
    #Chloe4Leader dumped out of cabinet.

Gutted.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

AlistairM said:

So he's not completely stupid, despite his poor academic record. He knew he wasn't going to be reappointed.

The only use I can think of of 'St Crispin's Day' is in Shakespeare's Henry V in his speech before Agincourt.

If he really wanted to rub French noses in it, he should have picked 'Agincourt Day.'

Like the French...
    St Crispin is the patron saint of Cobblers.

I'll leave it at that.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    This Braverman thing sounds like self promotion from “friends” to me. I guess Williamson might be chief whip…
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,009
    Mortimer said:

DJ41 said:

Patel
    Williamson
    Braverman
    Gove
    Hancock
    I agree on all of these.

Gove and Hancock especially. Lockdown fans both apparently.... The other three were just a bit rubbish AFAICS
    Gove on all accounts is a very good minister - I have zero problem with him

Shapps and Coffey should however be fired onto the sun
  • Options
    mwadams said:

Leon said:

mwadams said:

Leon said:

mwadams said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

mwadams said:

Scott_xP said:

I agree - I'd like to see a modern take on Pit (with all the usual trepidation that they'd miss the point, but hey!)
    Googling away I see there are two “Pits”. A BBC TV job in the 50s and a Hammer movie in the 60s. I can’t remember which one I watched. I do recall the delicious shiver of fear. The idea of ancient buried hideous insectoid aliens, interred beneath some spooky Tube station with a history of hauntings…

Genius
  • Options
    mwadams said:

ydoethur said:

AlistairM said:

Like the French...

I'll leave it at that.
    I'm always happy to say 'Shoo! Shoo!' to Moggster if he ever comes within audio range.
  • Options
    AlistairM said:

Eugh what horrendous handwriting. You'd have thought going to Eton he might have been taught how to write properly.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,272

HYUFD said:

What are you complaining about? We have had a non-Conservative government since 2019.

I am pleased and relieved that the Conservatives are back in charge.
    Johnson's brand of social democracy didn't really dovetail with mine I'm afraid.
  • Options
    AlistairM said:

Good riddance to a talentless twat
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

mwadams said:

ydoethur said:

AlistairM said:

Like the French...

I'll leave it at that.
    I'm always happy to say 'Shoo! Shoo!' to Moggster if he ever comes within audio range.
    He's such a heel, knew he'd never last....
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,385
    Is it credible for the Prime Minister's wife to own a stake in a company that is operating in Russia during a time of war?

The Kyiv Independent
    @KyivIndependent
    However, Sunak has come under fire because his wife owns a stake in Insofys - an Indian IT company that has operations in Moscow and reportedly has links to a major Russian bank. He denied accusations that his family is profiting from Russian dictator Vladimir Putin's regime.

https://mobile.twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1584889895453347841
  • Options
    Leon said:

mwadams said:

Leon said:

mwadams said:

Leon said:

mwadams said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

mwadams said:

Scott_xP said:

Googling away I see there are two “Pits”. A BBC TV job in the 50s and a Hammer movie in the 60s. I can’t remember which one I watched. I do recall the delicious shiver of fear. The idea of ancient buried hideous insectoid aliens, interred beneath some spooky Tube station with a history of hauntings…

Genius
    I don't think the TV job was recorded, although I could be wrong. I think it was one of those live plays the BBC experimented with in the days before film was feasible for TV.
  • Options
    Leon said:

mwadams said:

Leon said:

mwadams said:

Leon said:

mwadams said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

mwadams said:

Scott_xP said:

Genius
    They are both excellent - the Hammer Movie is a rare case of a successful remake that isn't spoiled by the transition to Colour and 90 minutes.
  • Options
    eek said:

Mortimer said:

DJ41 said:

Patel
    Williamson
    Braverman
    Gove
    Hancock
    I agree on all of these.

Gove on all accounts is a very good minister - I have zero problem with him
    Oi! Not mine! That invalidates your sentence immediately...
  • Options
    Leon said:

Some good news

Some of us remember the days when the PB Bumpkins assured us London was dead forever and professionals would spend the rest of their days working out of farmhouses in North Yorkshire. In fact, town seems as busy as ever. I went in on Sunday – Sunday! – and the place was buzzing.

Funny old world.
  • Options

Is it credible for the Prime Minister's wife to own a stake in a company that is operating in Russia during a time of war?

The Kyiv Independent
    @KyivIndependent
    However, Sunak has come under fire because his wife owns a stake in Insofys - an Indian IT company that has operations in Moscow and reportedly has links to a major Russian bank. He denied accusations that his family is profiting from Russian dictator Vladimir Putin's regime.

https://mobile.twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1584889895453347841

Those calm waters lasted about 5 minutes.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

mwadams said:

ydoethur said:

AlistairM said:

Like the French...

I'll leave it at that.
    He's such a heel, knew he'd never last....
    That's the sole reason he backed Johnson and Truss.
This discussion has been closed.