Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Polling matters – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    edited October 2022

Is it credible for the Prime Minister's wife to own a stake in a company that is operating in Russia during a time of war?

The Kyiv Independent
    @KyivIndependent
    However, Sunak has come under fire because his wife owns a stake in Insofys - an Indian IT company that has operations in Moscow and reportedly has links to a major Russian bank. He denied accusations that his family is profiting from Russian dictator Vladimir Putin's regime.

https://mobile.twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1584889895453347841

InfoSys ceased almost all its operations in Russia in April 2022. This was a little late perhaps, but the tweet is misleading to the extent that it suggests those operations are ongoing.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,801
    Pulpstar said:

Is it credible for the Prime Minister's wife to own a stake in a company that is operating in Russia during a time of war?

The Kyiv Independent
    @KyivIndependent
    However, Sunak has come under fire because his wife owns a stake in Insofys - an Indian IT company that has operations in Moscow and reportedly has links to a major Russian bank. He denied accusations that his family is profiting from Russian dictator Vladimir Putin's regime.

Those calm waters lasted about 5 minutes.
    As predicted on here.
  • Options

The Kyiv Independent
    @KyivIndependent

Desperate stuff
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,762
    Phenomenal. Bar-tailed Godwit has broken its own record: a first-year bird (five months old!) has flown 13,560 km—just shy of the direct flight limit of a Boeing 787—from Alaska to Tasmania, seemingly non-stop, in just 11 days (avg. speed: c.51 km/hr).
    https://twitter.com/AlexJB497/status/1584815549137440768
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,356
    Just one of the greatest speeches ever written:

This day is called the feast of Crispian:
    He that outlives this day, and comes safe home,
    Will stand a tip-toe when the day is named,
    And rouse him at the name of Crispian.
    He that shall live this day, and see old age,
    Will yearly on the vigil feast his neighbours,
    And say ‘To-morrow is Saint Crispian:’
    Then will he strip his sleeve and show his scars.
    And say ‘These wounds I had on Crispin’s day.’
    Old men forget: yet all shall be forgot,
    But he’ll remember with advantages
    What feats he did that day: then shall our names.
    Familiar in his mouth as household words
    Harry the king, Bedford and Exeter,
    Warwick and Talbot, Salisbury and Gloucester,
    Be in their flowing cups freshly remember’d.
    This story shall the good man teach his son;
    And Crispin Crispian shall ne’er go by,
    From this day to the ending of the world,
    But we in it shall be remember’d;

And he is right, it is indeed 25th October and the 607th anniversary of Agincourt.

He's still a twat though.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

The Kyiv Independent
    @KyivIndependent

Desperate stuff
    Would you tolerate Starmer having business interests in Russia?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

mwadams said:

ydoethur said:

AlistairM said:

JRM doesn't write the date. He writes the Saint's Day (St. Crispin's Day, apparently). Despite it also having a Twitter and Website listed, his stationary still manages to look like it is from the 19th Century.

Jacob Rees-Mogg's resignation letter. He has told friends it was his decision to go, and would have resigned to Liz Truss last night if he didn't have to take Business Questions this morning.

So he's not completely stupid, despite his poor academic record. He knew he wasn't going to be reappointed.

The only use I can think of of 'St Crispin's Day' is in Shakespeare's Henry V in his speech before Agincourt.

If he really wanted to rub French noses in it, he should have picked 'Agincourt Day.'

Edit: here is the speech.

'This day is called the feast of Crispian:
    And say 'To-morrow is Saint Crispian:'
    And say 'These wounds I had on Crispin's day.'
    But he'll remember with advantages
    Be in their flowing cups freshly remember'd.
    And Crispin Crispian shall ne'er go by,
    But we in it shall be remember'd;
    We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
    Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
    This day shall gentle his condition:
    And gentlemen in England now a-bed
    Shall think themselves accursed they were not here,
    And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
    That fought with us upon St Crispian's day.'

But he couldn't even fight. He'd lost. Through his own incompetence.

Like the French...
    St Crispin is the patron saint of Cobblers.

I'll leave it at that.
    I'm always happy to say 'Shoo! Shoo!' to Moggster if he ever comes within audio range.
    Don't you think you would be being a little bit of a heel?
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,070

HYUFD said:

So in the end Dom won hands down. Boris gone. Crackers lady gone in record time. His protegee Rishi now master of all he surveys. Job done.

Unless Starmer wins in 2024
    The Conservatives are going to win 2024 quite comfortably, despite my protestations that the economy would kill them. Sunak/ Hunt will push the cuts and tax rises until after the next election, and the markets will be comfortable with that, and we can borrow more for infrastructure investment. Sunak has been very careful to promote the narrative that everything was hunky-dory until Truss/Kwarteng.

I realise I will never see a non- Conservative Government in my lifetime. It is a somewhat rather depressing thought.
    And you will be rich, having put your mortgage on your sure thing.

I remember similarly attention-seeking certainty a few days ago about Bozza coming back.

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited October 2022

The Kyiv Independent
    @KyivIndependent

From early this year....

IT company Infosys is transitioning its team of less than 100 people from Russia to projects outside the country, a top official of the company said on Saturday.

Infosys MD and CEO Salil Parekh said that the company is very much in support of peace in the Ukraine-Russia conflict and is supporting every effort to help people that are being impacted by the situation.

"We have no work on business in Ukraine. We have a very small team of less than 100 in Russia. We have initiated the steps to transition the work that they're doing outside of Russia. We are not serving any clients which are Russian.There are global clients which are doing some operations in Russia," Parekh said.

Infosys had announced in April to move business outside Russia. Its announcement followed the exit of several IT majors, mostly US companies, from Russia.

https://www.businesstoday.in/latest/corporate/story/infosys-has-team-of-less-than-100-in-russia-transitioning-them-outside-ceo-parekh-339217-2022-06-26
  • Options
    AlistairM said:

JRM doesn't write the date. He writes the Saint's Day (St. Crispin's Day, apparently). Despite it also having a Twitter and Website listed, his stationary still manages to look like it is from the 19th Century.

Jacob Rees-Mogg's resignation letter. He has told friends it was his decision to go, and would have resigned to Liz Truss last night if he didn't have to take Business Questions this morning.

https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1584889949991497729

You get the impression writing "St Crispin's Day" on the letter was the most important aspect of it for Mogg.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,082
    Heathener said:

ydoethur said:

ping said:

FPT

ping said:

Listening to Faisal Islam on the BBC’s newscast - he had this fascinating and (I think) disturbing nugget;

“By all accounts (Sunak at the treasury during the pandemic) it was, not quite minority report, but like, big screens of all the policy options and all the other countries policy options… Germany had done this on their version of the furlough scheme, or France had done that, and he would want to make sure that he could say we’ve done the most in Europe … so you just had to look at what the G7 record was and then you could say, well, he’s going to go to 80%, because it’s higher than 77%”

~20mins in;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0d98v2t

That’s absurd policy making

That's called benchmarking.
    It’s bullshit benchmarking. We handed him the grandkids credit card and he maxed out the credit limit to keep up with the Joneses?

That’s our bloody national debt that he’s ramped up, just so he can gain some stupid imaginary brexit points.

And now the country must pay for his idiocy, with higher mortgage rates, tax increases, and spending cuts?

I don’t buy the fiscally dry, sound money persona he’s trying to portray. It was him spaffing cash up the wall that is the primary reason we’re now in one hell of a fiscal mess.

Why should we suffer for his sins?

I’m amazed that the otherwise sensible, sound money PB tories are falling for his guff.
    Politicians were ever thus.

Not everyone is as continent as Goderich (I think) who famously left more in the Treasury when he left than was there when he arrived..
    That was the Earl of Bath with the 47-hour ‘short lived’ ministry:

‘He ran the wisest and most honest of administrations, having never transacted one rash thing: and what is more marvellous, having left as much money in the Treasury as he found in it.’
    Rishi certainly has experience of short-living
    This isn't a pop at you personally because a lot of people do this but is there any chance we could stop making comments about his height? It doesn't matter how short or tall he is.

It matters whether he's a competent Prime Minister.
    Life without humour must be very dull

• Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,714
    kle4 said:

Old TV or films from childhood that deeply left a mark? Watership Down, without question

One of these posters is more accurate about the tone.

It was NEVER a U!!!! I don't believe that.
    Should be 15 at least........

I suppose back then it was a simple 'Cartoon? Don't need to watch it. Must be a U.... NEXT' from the BBFC.
  • Options
    I wonder what would happen were a Minister being sacked by the PM to literally turn round and tell him - or her - to 'Go and F... themselves.' Not aware that has actually happened, though when Lord Soames was fired by Thatcher in 1981 he gave her a good bollocking and could be heard shouting at her by officials outside her office.
    My mind also goes back to Lamont being removed from the Treasury by Major in 1993. He was offered another job - the Environment Dept - but turned it down. He was very bitter and the normal exchange of letters did not occur - and they never spoke for 20 years or so. It occurs to me that had Lamont known about Major's affair with Edwina , he could have simply stormed off threatening to tell the press everything he knew. That could well have brought Major down.
  • Options
    14.12: Jake Berry out as Party Chairman
    14.12: Robert Buckland out as Welsh Secretary
    14.06: Kit Malthouse out as Education Secretary
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

The Kyiv Independent
    @KyivIndependent

Desperate stuff
    If it was his wife and she was of Indian extraction that had a huge family business interest, I think criticising it would be pretty desperate. I certainly would not be asking "SKS fans please explain?"
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,144
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

mwadams said:

ydoethur said:

AlistairM said:

So he's not completely stupid, despite his poor academic record. He knew he wasn't going to be reappointed.

The only use I can think of of 'St Crispin's Day' is in Shakespeare's Henry V in his speech before Agincourt.

If he really wanted to rub French noses in it, he should have picked 'Agincourt Day.'

Like the French...

I'll leave it at that.
    I'm always happy to say 'Shoo! Shoo!' to Moggster if he ever comes within audio range.
    He's such a heel, knew he'd never last....
    That's the sole reason he backed Johnson and Truss.
    It was awl or nothing.
  • Options

No surprises so far.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    Leon said:

mwadams said:

Leon said:

mwadams said:

Leon said:

mwadams said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

mwadams said:

Scott_xP said:

Hearing that Suella Braverman is making a return to cabinet less than a week after being sacked over a security breach.

One govt source even suggests she might be back as home sec, perhaps in return for endorsing Sunak. Bold move, if true.

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1584882018240057344

Urgh, I sure hope not. I can see the logic (LBJ’s maxim as John Major so eloquently put it) but if she does have to be back round the table can she not get something where she won’t do too much damage, like Commons leader or something.

If this is true, it is a gift to the opposition.
    Why? Braverman wants lower immigration and she wants to get tough on the Dinghy People

She probably has the support of 70% of UK voters. PB is not GB
    But cannot someone be found who is anti immigration and didn't just resign for incompetence?
    The Tories need someone who is able to pretend to be anti-immigration and pays attention to the headlines, whilst actually managing the issue much more deftly and flexibly. That's the usual brief for the job - the trouble with Braverman (among other things) is that she seems actually to believe when she's only supposed to be pretending.
    There's an episode of (excellent 70s drama) Colditz called "Tweedledum" about a chap who pretends to be mad to try to get repatriated. In the end, they do not know whether he is still pretending, or has really descended into madness. The Escape Committee bans anyone from trying it again.
    I saw that episode in my childhood. It has always haunted me
    The TV that most affected me in childhood are that, and the episode of 'Secret Army' called "Radishes with Butter".
    Quatermass and The Pit. It was already old TV in the 70s but it still freaked me out as a boy. The weird locust-like aliens. The terrible SFX. Hob’s End!

Great TV. Brilliant idea. Remake due
    I agree - I'd like to see a modern take on Pit (with all the usual trepidation that they'd miss the point, but hey!)
    (Slightly) more recently, Ghostwatch was also terrific.
    Googling away I see there are two “Pits”. A BBC TV job in the 50s and a Hammer movie in the 60s. I can’t remember which one I watched. I do recall the delicious shiver of fear. The idea of ancient buried hideous insectoid aliens, interred beneath some spooky Tube station with a history of hauntings…

Genius
    That was spooky. Also, the Dr. Who story mid-60s with the Yeti in the underground terrified me. Despite never having been to London, let alone travelled on the Tube.
  • Options

This is quite the clear-out.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,052

I was hoping Malthouse had big plans for school dinners.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Jonathan said:

The Kyiv Independent
    @KyivIndependent

Desperate stuff
    If it was his wife and she was of Indian extraction that had a huge family business interest, I think criticising it would be pretty desperate. I certainly would not be asking "SKS fans please explain?"
    I’ll believe you even if others might doubt it.
  • Options

I wonder what would happen were a Minister being sacked by the PM to literally turn round and tell him - or her - to 'Go and F... themselves.' Not aware that has actually happened, though when Lord Soames was fired by Thatcher in 1981 he gave her a good bollocking and could be heard shouting at her by officials outside her office.
    My mind also goes back to Lamont being removed from the Treasury by Major in 1993. He was offered another job - the Environment Dept - but turned it down. He was very bitter and the normal exchange of letters did not occur - and they never spoke for 20 years or so. It occurs to me that had Lamont known about Major's affair with Edwina , he could have simply stormed off threatening to tell the press everything he knew. That could well have brought Major down.

Thatcher offered Heath the ambassadorship in Washington IIRC but it was obviously a way of getting rid of him from British politics.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,332

ydoethur said:

mwadams said:

ydoethur said:

AlistairM said:

Like the French...

I'll leave it at that.
    No. I'll tell him off while I've got a tongue.
  • Options

Heathener said:

ydoethur said:

ping said:

FPT

ping said:

Listening to Faisal Islam on the BBC’s newscast - he had this fascinating and (I think) disturbing nugget;

“By all accounts (Sunak at the treasury during the pandemic) it was, not quite minority report, but like, big screens of all the policy options and all the other countries policy options… Germany had done this on their version of the furlough scheme, or France had done that, and he would want to make sure that he could say we’ve done the most in Europe … so you just had to look at what the G7 record was and then you could say, well, he’s going to go to 80%, because it’s higher than 77%”

~20mins in;

It’s bullshit benchmarking. We handed him the grandkids credit card and he maxed out the credit limit to keep up with the Joneses?

That’s our bloody national debt that he’s ramped up, just so he can gain some stupid imaginary brexit points.

And now the country must pay for his idiocy, with higher mortgage rates, tax increases, and spending cuts?

I don’t buy the fiscally dry, sound money persona he’s trying to portray. It was him spaffing cash up the wall that is the primary reason we’re now in one hell of a fiscal mess.

I’m amazed that the otherwise sensible, sound money PB tories are falling for his guff.

Not everyone is as continent as Goderich (I think) who famously left more in the Treasury when he left than was there when he arrived..

‘He ran the wisest and most honest of administrations, having never transacted one rash thing: and what is more marvellous, having left as much money in the Treasury as he found in it.’
    This isn't a pop at you personally because a lot of people do this but is there any chance we could stop making comments about his height? It doesn't matter how short or tall he is.

I like Rishi, and think he will be a great PM. I also think it is marvellous that children will be able to have life sized dolls of him in their Christmas stocking.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,916

kle4 said:

Old TV or films from childhood that deeply left a mark? Watership Down, without question

I suppose back then it was a simple 'Cartoon? Don't need to watch it. Must be a U.... NEXT' from the BBFC.
    The animated film was classified U in 1978 and features the vocal talents of a wide range of popular British actors such as John Hurt, Richard Briers, Ralph Richardson, Roy Kinnear and Hannah Gordon. The film was recognised as having enormous appeal to young audiences, many of whom were familiar with the book at the time. In the Examiner report available here, you can read about how the examiners came to their decision to classify the film at U.

The video was also classified U in 1987.

While the film has a happy ending and contains many positive messages for young audiences about bravery, friendship and the environment, younger or more sensitive viewers have found some scenes upsetting or worrying and over the years the BBFC has received numerous complaints about the suitability of Watership Down at U.

Watrship Down was most recently classified U on video in 2013, with the BBFCinsight: “Contains very mild language, mild violence and threat”.

I've seen many a film or TV show knocked down for mild violence and 'threat', that is not the description I'd choose for the mass death fever dream scene at the initial warren, the brutal bloody fights, the dog tearing into the Efrafans, the bleakness and despair at times.

https://www.bbfc.co.uk/education/case-studies/watership-down

I'd put it as PG, in case your child is a scaredy cat - but it is meant to be a bit rough!
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

AlistairM said:

Like the French...
    Apologies, didn't realise this had already been quoted.
  • Options

Kit Malthouse wasn't quite as bad as most of his predecessors as Education Secretary.

Probably because he didn't have time to be.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

And he is right, it is indeed 25th October and the 607th anniversary of Agincourt.

Yesterday was the 59th anniversary of Dylan recording The Times They are a-Changin'.
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,347
    edited October 2022
    Jonathan said:

The Kyiv Independent
    @KyivIndependent

Desperate stuff
    I think Labour should pick their targets on this. If she/they are rich enough to be consequential shareholders in companies then wait until there’s an industrial or environment issue surrounding a company that will capture the public mood. Then make noise on what they are going to do about it as shareholders at the AGM (including suggesting they should push for an extraordinary one).
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,386

Jonathan said:

The Kyiv Independent
    @KyivIndependent

Desperate stuff
    I'm reassured by the posts from other PBers that Infosys is no longer operating in Russia - disappointed in the Kyiv Independent for making that mistake - but if they were it would be a direct conflict of interest that would have to be resolved.
  • Options

Sack the lot and start again. Hunt can stay. Shapps can stay. The rest lose the whip.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,913
    Hilarious to see these cabinet ministers all pretending they resigned rather than got sacked !
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

mwadams said:

ydoethur said:

AlistairM said:

Like the French...

I'll leave it at that.
    I am sure you won't be the sole person to want to do that
  • Options

Average IQ of the cabinet is rising...
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,425

Leon said:

mwadams said:

Leon said:

mwadams said:

Leon said:

mwadams said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

mwadams said:

Scott_xP said:

Hearing that Suella Braverman is making a return to cabinet less than a week after being sacked over a security breach.

One govt source even suggests she might be back as home sec, perhaps in return for endorsing Sunak. Bold move, if true.

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1584882018240057344

Urgh, I sure hope not. I can see the logic (LBJ’s maxim as John Major so eloquently put it) but if she does have to be back round the table can she not get something where she won’t do too much damage, like Commons leader or something.

If this is true, it is a gift to the opposition.
    Why? Braverman wants lower immigration and she wants to get tough on the Dinghy People

She probably has the support of 70% of UK voters. PB is not GB
    But cannot someone be found who is anti immigration and didn't just resign for incompetence?
    The Tories need someone who is able to pretend to be anti-immigration and pays attention to the headlines, whilst actually managing the issue much more deftly and flexibly. That's the usual brief for the job - the trouble with Braverman (among other things) is that she seems actually to believe when she's only supposed to be pretending.
    There's an episode of (excellent 70s drama) Colditz called "Tweedledum" about a chap who pretends to be mad to try to get repatriated. In the end, they do not know whether he is still pretending, or has really descended into madness. The Escape Committee bans anyone from trying it again.
    I saw that episode in my childhood. It has always haunted me
    The TV that most affected me in childhood are that, and the episode of 'Secret Army' called "Radishes with Butter".
    Quatermass and The Pit. It was already old TV in the 70s but it still freaked me out as a boy. The weird locust-like aliens. The terrible SFX. Hob’s End!

Great TV. Brilliant idea. Remake due
    I agree - I'd like to see a modern take on Pit (with all the usual trepidation that they'd miss the point, but hey!)
    (Slightly) more recently, Ghostwatch was also terrific.
    Googling away I see there are two “Pits”. A BBC TV job in the 50s and a Hammer movie in the 60s. I can’t remember which one I watched. I do recall the delicious shiver of fear. The idea of ancient buried hideous insectoid aliens, interred beneath some spooky Tube station with a history of hauntings…

Genius
    That was spooky. Also, the Dr. Who story mid-60s with the Yeti in the underground terrified me. Despite never having been to London, let alone travelled on the Tube.
    London is the best city for ghost/horror dramas. It has the perfect mix of ancient and new, prosaic and poetic, dark northern weather yet bustling
    commerce - and vast multitudes of people. And scars of war

Quatermass and the Pit would not work in any other location
  • Options

Sack the lot and start again. Hunt can stay. Shapps can stay. The rest lose the whip.
    Lose Shapps as well.
  • Options

Careful they might be replaced by the likes of Gavin Williamson....
  • Options

Lose the whip? There are around 100 ministers So get rid of the majority and go down to 250 seats?
  • Options
    edited October 2022

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

mwadams said:

ydoethur said:

AlistairM said:

Like the French...

I'll leave it at that.
    I've already used that. Use your eye, let's get this in order.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,425
    edited October 2022
    DavidL said:

It is impossible to read that speech without a stirring in the English loins

What goes unnoticed is that it is all written in iambic pentameter. Ta-DA ta-DA ta-DA ta-DA ta-DA

And it’s this concealed yet muscular rhythm which makes the speech sing in its magnificence

Shakespeare, huh
  • Options
    Would any departing Ministers at least derive some emotional satisfaction by sending in a letter to Graham Brady as an act of pure spite and revenge?!
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    nico679 said:

Hilarious to see these cabinet ministers all pretending they resigned rather than got sacked !

It is a rare occasion that someone gets to be genuinely sacked, since even most obvious sackings are given in a 'You have asked me to resign and I accept' kind of way, but it has been known. The media sometimes starts out with a headline about resignation, then moves it to sacking when the letters are out, making things clearer even if they say resignation.
  • Options

Would any departing Ministers at least derive some emotional satisfaction by sending in a letter to Graham Brady as an act of pure spite and revenge?!

In Mogg's case even that wouldn't help as Brady would be unable to read it.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

mwadams said:

ydoethur said:

AlistairM said:

Like the French...

I'll leave it at that.
    Sorry, sometimes my posts lack a certain amount of polish
  • Options
    mwadams said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

mwadams said:

ydoethur said:

AlistairM said:

Like the French...

I'll leave it at that.
    He's such a heel, knew he'd never last....
    That's the sole reason he backed Johnson and Truss.
    It was awl or nothing.
    Out, but not on his uppers.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,114

They haven't changed the rules so Sunak is safe for a year, and then it will be too close to the next election.
  • Options
    ozymandiasozymandias Posts: 1,503

Heathener said:

ydoethur said:

ping said:

FPT

ping said:

~20mins in;

I like Rishi, and think he will be a great PM. I also think it is marvellous that children will be able to have life sized dolls of him in their Christmas stocking.
    You're going to seriously p*ss off Heathener in a minute. He/She/it/they/them may give you another mystical "prediction" pulled out of an arse if you're not careful.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

mwadams said:

ydoethur said:

AlistairM said:

Like the French...

I'll leave it at that.
    We're trying to have a serious discussion about shoes, but how can we if it's laced with remarks like that?
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,009

Shapps can’t stay - he’s utterly toxic and useless as demonstrated at transport
  • Options

Were he to do that his majority would be shredded.
  • Options
    148grss148grss Posts: 3,712

Jonathan said:

The Kyiv Independent
    @KyivIndependent

Desperate stuff
    I think the business interests of your spouse are significant if you're in politics - if you will be deciding on policy that has a financial impact on your household income, that's an issue, surely?

I know people don't really delve too deeply into second jobs or investment portfolios of MPs (I recall that most MPs are also landlords, so renting reform is always hard to pass), but I do think it is something we should consider more in our politicians, even beyond Sunak.
  • Options

Like a game of cricket, wait for the second innings...
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,913
    edited October 2022
    Sunak is in the HOC. Don’t they normally do the hiring and firing from no 10?
  • Options

Were he to do that his majority would be shredded.
    So there's no actual downside?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,963
    biggles said:

Lose the whip? There are around 100 ministers So get rid of the majority and go down to 250 seats?
    Have we always had that many ministers ?
    Do we honestly need a hundred ?
  • Options
    Ranil Jayawardena out as DEFRA Secretary
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,519

Jonathan said:

The Kyiv Independent
    @KyivIndependent

Desperate stuff
    I'm reassured by the posts from other PBers that Infosys is no longer operating in Russia - disappointed in the Kyiv Independent for making that mistake - but if they were it would be a direct conflict of interest that would have to be resolved.
    Like many news outlets, they recycle stories from elsewhere and don’t always pick up on updates.

I’ve always thought that stories, in the internet age, could be wiki like. That is, ongoing, updated articles. Rather than just a snapshot.
  • Options

They haven't changed the rules so Sunak is safe for a year, and then it will be too close to the next election.
    That rule did not save Truss /Johnson/May.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

mwadams said:

ydoethur said:

AlistairM said:

Like the French...

I'll leave it at that.
    We're trying to have a serious discussion about shoes, but how can we if it's laced with remarks like that?
    Eyelet it pass.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,114

That rule did not save Truss /Johnson/May.
    It took a lot more than a handful of letters from disgruntled ex-ministers though.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,272
    148grss said:

Jonathan said:

The Kyiv Independent
    @KyivIndependent

Desperate stuff
    I think the business interests of your spouse are significant if you're in politics - if you will be deciding on policy that has a financial impact on your household income, that's an issue, surely?

I know people don't really delve too deeply into second jobs or investment portfolios of MPs (I recall that most MPs are also landlords, so renting reform is always hard to pass), but I do think it is something we should consider more in our politicians, even beyond Sunak.
    At least it means his wife can afford her own wallpaper, and that's a good thing.

Back to work! Taxes to pay.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Pulpstar said:

biggles said:

Yes, since the Second World War era.

No but PMs have found it useful to have lots of patronage to hand out so they endure.

'Twas ever thus. Remember we have a Lord Privy Seal, Comptroller of the Household, Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster, Postmaster General, Paymaster General, First Lord of the Treasury and Lord President of the Council.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    Andy_JS said:

AlistairM said:

You get the impression writing "St Crispin's Day" on the letter was the most important aspect of it for Mogg.
    I get the impression that writing was not important, handwriting at least....
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

AlistairM said:

I would have gone for Russian Custom Officers' Day myself
  • Options

Ranil Jayawardena out as DEFRA Secretary

Lol thought Eustace had that role.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,865
    We're still in the "firing" stage then? :D
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,477

No surprises so far.
    Nice reference to the last line of thread header :wink: Any Creeps?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

biggles said:

Since the war, yes more or less. Three or four in small Departments and more in the larger ones. Plus Cabinet Office and all the Whips as Treasury Commissioners.
  • Options
    eek said:

Shapps can’t stay - he’s utterly toxic and useless as demonstrated at transport
    At least he had the cojones to abolish rail franchising – for that alone he deserves credit (even though GBR is so far a non-starter!)
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

mwadams said:

ydoethur said:

AlistairM said:

Like the French...

I'll leave it at that.
    I am running out of shoe puns, so I will have to put a sock in it.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

Apparently the firing is normally done in the Palace of Westminster, as more discreet, and the hiring is done in Number Ten, so the new ministers can smile for the cameras.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    biggles said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

mwadams said:

ydoethur said:

AlistairM said:

Like the French...

I'll leave it at that.
    Eyelet it pass.
    I've already used that too. Honestly, you and Nigel are a pair.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,865

The Kyiv Independent
    @KyivIndependent

And so the drip. drip, drip of financial revelations begins...
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    GIN1138 said:

The Kyiv Independent
    @KyivIndependent

No, in this case it is fake news. It was all rather fake news story from the start, but also situation changed.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

biggles said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

mwadams said:

ydoethur said:

AlistairM said:

Like the French...

I'll leave it at that.
    Eyelet it pass.
    Order of the boot for both of them.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

biggles said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

mwadams said:

ydoethur said:

AlistairM said:

Like the French...

I'll leave it at that.
    Eyelet it pass.
    Sorry, I thought I was first but I was just last.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

The Kyiv Independent
    @KyivIndependent

The first of money?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

Yesterday was the 59th anniversary of Dylan recording The Times They are a-Changin'.
    I think he was right. A friend of mine was showing a visiting group from the California bar around Parliament House yesterday. One of them was Pete Wilson, who was governor of California in the 1990s. He shared a photograph which must have been taken in the 60s which showed him with a young looking Nixon and an even younger looking Donald Rumsfeld who was a congressman at the time. Things certainly changed from the time of that photo to now.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518

nico679 said:

Apparently the firing is normally done in the Palace of Westminster, as more discreet, and the hiring is done in Number Ten, so the new ministers can smile for the cameras.
    I suppose it’s possible that some people are being fired only to be rehired in a different job in the morning ;) But he doesn’t want people bartering from existing roles.
  • Options
    Australia should win this, but they're making heavy weather of it even if SL are shelling chances.

Remember, they need to win big, because their NRR is abysmal.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

The Kyiv Independent
    @KyivIndependent

No, in this case it is fake news. It was all rather fake news story from the start.
    Kyiv Independent are mahoosive Boris fans.
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,714
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

The animated film was classified U in 1978 and features the vocal talents of a wide range of popular British actors such as John Hurt, Richard Briers, Ralph Richardson, Roy Kinnear and Hannah Gordon. The film was recognised as having enormous appeal to young audiences, many of whom were familiar with the book at the time. In the Examiner report available here, you can read about how the examiners came to their decision to classify the film at U.

The video was also classified U in 1987.

While the film has a happy ending and contains many positive messages for young audiences about bravery, friendship and the environment, younger or more sensitive viewers have found some scenes upsetting or worrying and over the years the BBFC has received numerous complaints about the suitability of Watership Down at U.

Watrship Down was most recently classified U on video in 2013, with the BBFCinsight: “Contains very mild language, mild violence and threat”.

I've seen many a film or TV show knocked down for mild violence and 'threat', that is not the description I'd choose for the mass death fever dream scene at the initial warren, the brutal bloody fights, the dog tearing into the Efrafans, the bleakness and despair at times.

https://www.bbfc.co.uk/education/case-studies/watership-down

I'd put it as PG, in case your child is a scaredy cat - but it is meant to be a bit rough!
    I must admit, my parents stuck it on in the early eighties, so all three of us had seen it before we were six. My daughter is 10 and I'd not consider it for her at all.
    Maybe a 12 rating is more appropriate....

It's certainly NOT a U.
  • Options

nico679 said:

That is a pretty recent development . It was not how it was done under Thatcher/Major and Blair.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

The Kyiv Independent
    @KyivIndependent

Desperate stuff
    Like many news outlets, they recycle stories from elsewhere and don’t always pick up on updates.

I’ve always thought that stories, in the internet age, could be wiki like. That is, ongoing, updated articles. Rather than just a snapshot.
    I think that would be a good idea - although you might want to preserve a record of what the story was at the time, if it's no longer accurate that needs to be clear.

I'm a bit embarrassed that I didn't do my own sanity check and Google "Infosys operations Russia", as their April withdrawal is right at the top, but what are news organisations for if they don't check their facts?
  • Options
    edited October 2022

Jonathan said:

The Kyiv Independent
    @KyivIndependent

Desperate stuff

I think that would be a good idea - although you might want to preserve a record of what the story was at the time, if it's no longer accurate that needs to be clear.

I'm a bit embarrassed that I didn't do my own sanity check and Google "Infosys operations Russia", as their April withdrawal is right at the top, but what are news organisations for if they don't check their facts?
    The worst one is when somebody publishes an incorrect story (or doesn't update it), another media outlet links to it, then everybody links to the second source as the primary source and thus be "true".
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Australia should win this, but they're making heavy weather of it even if SL are shelling chances.

The win probability is currently 63% in Sri Lanka's favour but I tend to agree. Unless they take wickets Australia will get the runs.
  • Options
    Watership Down should probably be a 21 rating. 90% of 18s are far less troubling than that.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,275
    ydoethur said:

GIN1138 said:

The Kyiv Independent
    @KyivIndependent

The first of money?
    Infosys having Russian connections was in the news months ago, so not exactly a revelation. The Sunaks should probably sell the stake in Infosys and give the money to charity if they want to have any credibility.

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,785
    Coming to a Remainder Bin near you:

HarperCollins has brought forward the publication of a Liz Truss biography by Harry Cole and James Heale to include the dramatic events that led to her downfall last week.

Originally scheduled for December, Out of the Blue: The Inside Story of the Unexpected Rise and Rapid Fall of Liz Truss by the Sun’s political editor Cole and Spectator writer Heale will now be available as an e-book on 1st November, with a hardback and audio release following on 24th November.

https://www.thebookseller.com/news/harpercollins-brings-forward-release-of-liz-truss-biography-and-adds-details-of-downfall

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,997
    Age ratings are an interesting thing. I remember being baffled that the cartoon violence of God of War (2 or 3, I forget) was an 18, whereas Metal Gear Solid 3 (featuring torture scene with electrocution and loss of an eye) was only a 15.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    Pulpstar said:

biggles said:

Remember the old “Yes Minister” sketch about there only being about 100 suitable MPs for 100 Govt posts? The last few years have seen any attempt to disprove this absolutely tested to destruction.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

mwadams said:

ydoethur said:

AlistairM said:

Like the French...

I'll leave it at that.
    I am running out of shoe puns, so I will have to put a sock in it.
    You need to remain instep.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

The win probability is currently 63% in Sri Lanka's favour but I tend to agree. Unless they take wickets Australia will get the runs.
    @Northern_Al is right now piling his mortgage on Sri Lanka...
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,052
    Is he going to name the new cabinet in parliament? I don't remember that happening before.
  • Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004
    edited October 2022
    Pulpstar said:

Watership Down should probably be a 21 rating. 90% of 18s are far less troubling than that.

I remember being terrified of parts of it when I was a kid. All dressed up with the happy posted of rabbits on the Berkshire Downs with the U rating and then watching it with those dark and scary scenes.

Just seen this on IMDB:

The British Board of Film Classification had received complaints about this movie for over four decades after its release, due to the board's decision to classify it U (suitable for all). The BBFC admitted in 2012 that it had "received complaints about the suitability of Watership Down at U almost every year since its classification". On August 4, 2022, the film was re-rated PG after 44 years.
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078480/trivia/?ref_=tt_trv_trv
  • Options
    148grss148grss Posts: 3,712
    ydoethur said:

GIN1138 said:

The Kyiv Independent
    @KyivIndependent

The first of money?
    I think Sunak will be a Romneyesque figure - you can't be as rich as he is without huge privilege or huge exploitation. With power comes more scrutiny, and I just don't think the average voter will be happy during this economic crunch period being governed by someone so obscenely wealthy. I remember the whole green card / non-dom issue - things like that will keep coming back.
  • Options
    Simon Clarke gone. No surprise really - Truss has no particular following in parliament or the party now unlike Boris.
  • Options
    Rishi returns to No. 10, sackings presumably over
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,519

Jonathan said:

The Kyiv Independent
    @KyivIndependent

Desperate stuff

This is why I follow various specialist reporters on various issues.

Fact checking outside a cart basic “was the story true at one point” has died in media. Click bait is better paid.
  • Options

Age ratings are an interesting thing. I remember being baffled that the cartoon violence of God of War (2 or 3, I forget) was an 18, whereas Metal Gear Solid 3 (featuring torture scene with electrocution and loss of an eye) was only a 15.

God forbid you have any nudity or bad language

South Park:
    Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty woids!

(This has actually changed to some degree, you can get away with quite a bit of bad language now)
This discussion has been closed.