Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

An embarrassment of riches …. or maybe just an embarrassment. – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,045
    OllyT said:

This from twitter

Boris or Oblivion, they have two choices. It’s that simple for the

@Conservatives

party. Anyone that thinks otherwise will have an agenda or has their head in the sand. The party is FINISHED & neither Sunak or Mordaunt would change those polls.

9:34 PM · Oct 20, 2022·Twitter for iPhone

You seem slightly obsessed with ramping Boris. You are new here, I note…
    An obvious troll I would have thought and a pretty poor one at that.
    More likely someone with an agenda than a troll

• Options

Driver said:

Driver said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Driver said:

The 1922 are utter morons for giving members any say.

This is the third time I’ve posted on this.

And if you keep posting it, I'll have to keep reminding you that they had no choice.
    Well, you’re simply wrong about it.
    No he is not. They are bound by the rules of the party - they don't make them. They can tinker at a low level with timetables and nomination requirements but that is all.
    He is wrong, because he assumes perhaps that the question in hand was the party leadership.

Liz should have been told to resign as Prime Minister, but not as Party Leader.

Not remotely a serious suggestion.
    Right, so you’ve conceded that you’re wrong, you just don’t think the alternative is “serious”.
    Something that is so unserious that it's imaginary doesn't counteract my point of the reality of the situation.

She can't resign as PM until there's a successor - this is why she hasn't resigned as PM today). Without a party leadership election, how is the successor chosen, especially given that the assumption is that the leader of the party which holds a majority has the confidence of the House?

It's beyond preposterous.
    So preposterous it was used to replace Chamberlain.

The mechanism would be quite straightforward. Truss would announce her intention to resign the premiership and hand over to another Tory chosen by the MPs either by coronation or through voting.

Said Tory becomes PM.

Liz then resigns the leadership and the party can do what they want, it has no impact on the premiership.
    Until the new party leader decides they want to be PM…
  • Options

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

The 1922 should now do the following.

Whoever gets 100 Tory MPs on Monday nominating them obviously goes forward to a leadership election. If only 1 candidate meets that threshold they obviously become Tory leader and PM.

If not then rounds should be held amongst the candidates until 1 candidate gets over 50% of the parliamentary party supporting them, even if that requires a final round amongst the top 2.

The membership should be given 2 votes then. The first should be to either confirm or reject the candidate chosen by MPs.

If the membership confirm that choice that candidate automatically becomes PM as well as party leader.

If the membership reject that choice then consideration is given to their second vote, a head to head between the top 2 candidates amongst MPs. Whoever wins that ballot amongst members then becomes Tory leader and leads the Tories into a snap general election, Truss remaining PM but not party leader while that general election takes place

The membership have about as much legitimacy in choosing a Prime Minister as the National Union of Miners in the 1970s/1980s. Each is/was a pressure group for its own interests. Nothinbg more. Which was at least legitimate for a trade union, but is outrageous for a political party that pretends to have the interests of the UK at heart.

You're morally worse than Arthur Scargill.
    Unless the membership back the Tory MPs choice they can't select the PM without a general election first under my plan
    But they shouldn't nbe selecting the PM at all. That is solely for MPs under the constitution which you pretend to defend.
    It IS solely for MPs if you had bothered to read my plan before going on a rant.

I made clear if members did not confirm the choice over 50% of the governing parties MPs backed then there would be a snap general election and they would only be electing the party leader at that election, it would be for voters as a whole to decide if they then became PM or not
    You're involving party members, which is sufficient to abolish your claim.

Edit: possible source of confusion - I am talking about the UK constitution. Not the party constitution or whatever jumped up set of third rate golf club rules you are trying to put in its place, like the subversive and seditious person that you are.
    Only to confirm the choice of Tory MPs and only if they confirm that choice does that candidate become PM. So the country's constitution stands ie the PM has to have the support of most MPs from the party with a majority in Parliament.

If they reject that choice then as I said they get a second vote only to choose our party leader to lead us into a snap general
    election, the voters alone would then decide if that candidate became PM or not.
    Forget it. The moment you let the partty members into the decision, that's it, you're subverting UK democracy and ther constitution.
    It’s reasonable to let them have a role.

Say 20 MPs required to nominate.

Members then vote for a shortlist of 5 (using AV)

MPs then chose 1 winner from that shortlist.

Why is it reasonable?
    It’s not. Same applies to Labour as well.
    It’s a subversion of the parliamentary system.
    It’s reasonable because they are members of the party voting for their leader.

It’s not subverting the system if the final decision is up to MPs.
  • Options

Thorpe in Norwich is a Labour gain, Tory vote halved. The ward is part of Norwich North, Chloe Smiths seat

It is actually in Norwich South - though likely boundary changes will move it to Norwich North.
  • Options

Thorpe in Norwich is a Labour gain, Tory vote halved. The ward is part of Norwich North, Chloe Smiths seat

It is actually in Norwich South - though likely boundary changes will move it to Norwich North.
    Correction : The ward is in Thorpe St Andrew and is part of Broadland District Council. It does fall within Norwich North whereas Thorpe Hamlet is currently within Norwich South.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    Can an MP nominate 2 people or only one?
  • Options
    Has anyone explained what will happen if there are NO candidates able to secure 100 nominations?
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,255

Driver said:

Driver said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Driver said:

And if you keep posting it, I'll have to keep reminding you that they had no choice.
    No he is not. They are bound by the rules of the party - they don't make them. They can tinker at a low level with timetables and nomination requirements but that is all.
    He is wrong, because he assumes perhaps that the question in hand was the party leadership.

Liz should have been told to resign as Prime Minister, but not as Party Leader.

Not remotely a serious suggestion.
    Right, so you’ve conceded that you’re wrong, you just don’t think the alternative is “serious”.
    Something that is so unserious that it's imaginary doesn't counteract my point of the reality of the situation.

She can't resign as PM until there's a successor - this is why she hasn't resigned as PM today). Without a party leadership election, how is the successor chosen, especially given that the assumption is that the leader of the party which holds a majority has the confidence of the House?

It's beyond preposterous.
    So preposterous it was used to replace Chamberlain.

The mechanism would be quite straightforward. Truss would announce her intention to resign the premiership and hand over to another Tory chosen by the MPs either by coronation or through voting.

Said Tory becomes PM.

Liz then resigns the leadership and the party can do what they want, it has no impact on the premiership.
    Until the new party leader decides they want to be PM…
    I think Gardenwalker is right about this. It is the House of Commons who decides who the Prime Minister is, and while one party has a majority, MPs of that party should be able to choose the PM. It would be perfectly sensible (if required by the Conservative Party rules) to let the members elect a party leader separately. Most likely it would be a coronation - if you need 100 nominations to even get on the ballot, who would get 100 nominations against the brand new sitting PM? If anyone could, it would show that the party really is irredeemably divided and it is indeed time for a general election.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,612
    Private rents in Britain hit record highs, with 20% rise in some areas
    https://www.theguardian.com/money/2022/oct/21/private-rents-britain-hit-record-high-demand-properties
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,750
    So, the grand strategy of pretending its 2019 again is going well?
  • Options

Driver said:

Driver said:

Surely the party constitution has been quoted enough times? The 1922 Committee has to present a choice of candidates to the membership. The 1922 Committee also doesn't have the power to change the party constitution, and neither does the party Board. Trying to evade those rules would have precipitated a legal challenge.
    Only has to present a choice IF there is more than one. Which in this case means getting 100 MP nominators for more than one hopeful. If only one make threshold, they win automatically.

Which is likely. But NOT a given.

Conservative Party Constitution - SCHEDULE 2: RULES FOR THE ELECTION OF THE LEADER

3. Upon the initiation of an election for the Leader, it shall be the duty of the 1922 Committee to present to the Party, as soon as reasonably practicable, a choice of candidates for election as Leader. The rules for deciding the procedure by which the 1922 Committee selects candidates for submission for election shall be determined by the Executive Committee of the 1922 Committee after consultation of the Board.

4 If there is only one candidate at the time laid down for the close of nominations, that candidate shall be declared Leader of the Party.

https://public.conservatives.com/organisation-department/202101/Conservative Party Constitution as amended January 2021.pdf
    Still think a legal challenge would be pointless anyway and not the threat driver thinks it is. The king appoints someone as PM who can command confidence of the house, if they have that confidence then a procedural irregularity for the rules of a private club election don't matter - say it was stated person X was not elected according to party rules, it wouldn't matter if parliament said screw it, we still back this person.
  • Options
    Why We Can’t Remove a President Because of Incompetence
    The Liz Truss implosion offers up pros and cons to the U.S. system of governance.
    https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2022/10/20/should-america-have-a-no-confidence-vote-in-its-presidents-00062803
  • Options

MikeL said:

Guido spreadsheet:

Johnson 50 (including 15 unnamed Party officials)
    Sunak 39
    Mordaunt 17 (including one unnamed Party official)

So Sunak actually is ahead in named individuals?

If people aren't prepared to put their name down, they surely don't count, for now?
    Indeed - that part of the sheet is clearly ramping to gain Boris momentum, although he's also still also clearly doing well.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,124

I cannot understand why anyone would run an online ballot with three days of preparation and expect it to go well and unhacked.

https://twitter.com/rhonddabryant/status/1583225583357415424?s=46&t=ssP1xq7z4QDeOm17Z2QWWQ

"And the winner is ... Vladimir Putin ?!?"
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,999
    Lie or shocking mistake by Baldy Ben in the HoC when reporting on the RIVET JOINT/Flanker incident over the Black Sea.

He described the RC-135 as a "civilian ISTAR" aircraft. It's not, it's on the UK military register (ZZ serials) and is operated by an active duty RAF crew. Bullshitter or incompetent or poorly briefed.
  • Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004
    This is very low! Seems to be dodging the traffic on the motorway.

A low-flying Ukrainian Mi-24 helicopter.
    https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1583330108395638784?t=XS4Vmf-_GgFSjEywPNhHHw&s=19
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,995
    AlistairM said:

This is very low! Seems to be dodging the traffic on the motorway.

A low-flying Ukrainian Mi-24 helicopter.
    https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1583330108395638784?t=XS4Vmf-_GgFSjEywPNhHHw&s=19

Is it real? When I freeze frame the blades are really well defined, and that makes me mildly suspicious.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

I'm finding it weird that neither Sunak or Johnson have made any sort of public appearance. Too soon maybe?

Like trying to bet on ghosts

In Sunaks case I expect he's in deep conversations with allies and rivals trying to agree a core cabinet and policy approach which will get overwhelming backing.

In Boris's case I expect he's wanting to play this as the rebellious nobles asking the king to return, for him to appear reluctant but willing to accept this honour.
  • Options
    I wonder if deputy PM is becoming more of a thing again, as weak leaders need to clearly signal their number 2, or a title to give to a rival to show an alliance.

What was weird was when Raab went from first Secretary of state, in effect deputy, to deputy PM.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Eabhal said:

I'm finding it weird that neither Sunak or Johnson have made any sort of public appearance. Too soon maybe?

Like trying to bet on ghosts

In Sunaks case I expect he's in deep conversations with allies and rivals trying to agree a core cabinet and policy approach which will get overwhelming backing.

In Boris's case I expect he's wanting to play this as the rebellious nobles asking the king to return, for him to appear reluctant but willing to accept this honour.
    Like Cincinnatus, who was recalled from a beach on Capri to save his country.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Truss's failure might lead the Tories to embrace realignment more wholeheartedly:

@danny__kruger
    Spot on from @MelanieLatest (citing @GoodwinMJ research): 'The party now has to make a choice. Does it want to restore the UK as an independent national project that upholds its historic culture, traditions and institutions? Or does it want to finally break that culture apart on the rocks of social or economic individualism and anti-west ideological dogma?'

This is plain speaking and the language will alarm moderate Conservatives. But this is a critical moment when the nettle must be grasped:

Whatever Govt emerges from this crisis needs to rebuild the 2019 coalition of voters. This means Brexit, borders, manufacturing, family, place, defence, tradition, solidarity... not just tax cuts and technocracy.

We can do that in a way which brings the moderates along : people with an interest in localism, public service reform, help for enterprise, environmental action - all this is compatible with the 2019 alignment. Conservatives unite!

https://twitter.com/danny__kruger/status/1583049318445248513

What a load of tripe!
    The idea the 'moderates' are about anti west ideological dogma is Trumpian levels of mischaracterisation of an opponent.
  • Options
    What time today does Bozo become favourite......
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,953
    Liz Truss was never a plausible prime minister, but her disastrous tenure was a symptom, not the source of her party's problems.

Changing the leader is not enough. The Tory Party needs a serious reckoning with its recent past, & with the forces that made Truss possible. [THREAD]

https://twitter.com/redhistorian/status/1583110662230016006
  • Options
    Chris said:

If you are curious about Boris Johnson's reference to Cincinnatus in his goodbye speech - he was a 5th century BC Roman politician who saved the state from an invasion, then - job done - returned to his farm ('to his plough'). He was also an enemy of the people.
    https://twitter.com/wmarybeard/status/1567039650027413506
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    So it looks like we’re all having to get used to the glorious return of Boris,
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,306
    kle4 said:

I wonder if deputy PM is becoming more of a thing again, as weak leaders need to clearly signal their number 2, or a title to give to a rival to show an alliance.

What was weird was when Raab went from first Secretary of state, in effect deputy, to deputy PM.

Is it compensation for the lack of teams? Stable government comes from closely working pairs, Blair/Brown, Cameron/Osborne. None of the current contenders seem to have someone who is focused on watching their back and making sure that the writ of the leader gets implemented. The result is weaker PMs and weaker government.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

kle4 said:

Is it compensation for the lack of teams? Stable government comes from closely working pairs, Blair/Brown, Cameron/Osborne. None of the current contenders seem to have someone who is focused on watching their back and making sure that the writ of the leader gets implemented. The result is weaker PMs and weaker government.
    Gove is there to watch the leaders backs. Otherwise how would he know where to place the knives?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Why We Can’t Remove a President Because of Incompetence
    The Liz Truss implosion offers up pros and cons to the U.S. system of governance.
    https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2022/10/20/should-america-have-a-no-confidence-vote-in-its-presidents-00062803

I like the point about how long it took to limit a president to 2 terms. That was by far the norm of course (only one exception?), but it feels so central to the US model itd be easy to assume it was always the case.
  • Options
  • Options
    Public sector net borrowing was £20.0 billion in September. That's £2.2 billion more than in the same month last year and the second highest September borrowing since monthly records began.

And that's something the chancellor and OBR will be looking at very closely over the coming few days

https://twitter.com/FelicityHannah/status/1583339871816810496
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Chris said:

If you are curious about Boris Johnson's reference to Cincinnatus in his goodbye speech - he was a 5th century BC Roman politician who saved the state from an invasion, then - job done - returned to his farm ('to his plough'). He was also an enemy of the people.
    https://twitter.com/wmarybeard/status/1567039650027413506
    Ah sorry yes - it was a farm, not a beach.

But I knew there was some similarity to Boris, which you've highlighted.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,674
    I don’t think he will either:

I don’t think he’ll run

https://twitter.com/MattChorley/status/1583339396153020416

Although I had thought Johnson unembarrasable but with one eye on his record he won’t want the humiliation of either not getting enough nominees or getting eliminated first.
  • Options

I don’t think he’ll run

Although I had thought Johnson unembarrasable but with one eye on his record he won’t want the humiliation of either not getting enough nominees or getting eliminated first.

Or of ultimately losing to Starmer
  • Options

I don’t think he’ll run

Hopefully. He's made his point that a sizable chunk of the MPs still want him, so any leader had better be nice to him.
  • Options
    R4 Sir David Liddington stressing the importance of a competent and effective government - and as Michael Howard said Johnson has had his chance.
  • Options
    LATEST Boris Johnson is being advised by some close friends not to stand.
    One friend tells me: "It is too early. In Autumn next year the party will be on its knees.
    "He is walking into a sh*t show he can't control. They need to be on their knees."
    More: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/10/20/liz-truss-news-resign-pm-conservative-party-general-election/
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244

R4 Sir David Liddington stressing the importance of a competent and effective government - and as Michael Howard said Johnson has had his chance.

So did Michael Howard and he didn’t even clear 200 seats.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,003

I don’t think he’ll run

If he runs, what will he gain? He can earn more outside government. Outside government, he is less constrained in his actions. In government, he will have to work. He knows he has many enemies, without and within the party.

By not running, he could make himself kingmaker.

But I reckon it'll depend on whether he thinks he can turn around the party's fortunes. If he thinks he will lose against Starmer, then he will not run.

For Johnson, like to many MPs of all parties, it is not about the good of the country. It is about HIM.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,636
    I've got a bad feeling Johnson is going to be selected again.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

One friend tells me: "It is too early. In Autumn next year the party will be on its knees.
    "He is walking into a sh*t show he can't control. They need to be on their knees."
    More: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/10/20/liz-truss-news-resign-pm-conservative-party-general-election/

Good caring about the party and country and not seeking personal revenge there
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I don’t think he’ll run

Hopefully. He's made his point that a sizable chunk of the MPs still want him, so any leader had better be nice to him.
    Hopefully this is the case. Better to be the King Across the Water, earning £lots on the lecture circuit, boosted by "they wanted me back!" than to actually face the horror of winning and coming back.

Boris doesn't do detail. Doesn't do economics. Doesn't do propriety. He does boosterism - and in the Truss mess there will be no boosting. He wouldn't have fun being the person responsible for swinging cuts and under endless investigation about his dodgy trip to see Lebedev and his lies to parliament etc etc
  • Options
    If no-one gets to 100, does the person with the highest number just become leader?

Named support as opposed to voting in a secret ballot may leave a reasonable number of Tory MPs shy non voters?
  • Options
    carnforth said:

Portchester East (Fareham) council by-election result:

CON: 37.6% (+3.0)
    LDEM: 36.6% (-14.2)
    LAB: 14.9% (+4.5)
    FIG: 10.8% (+10.8)

Votes cast: 2,543

Conservative GAIN from Liberal Democrat.

So the question is: Who or what are the Fareham Independent Group? Don't ask me, we used to fear/resent/slightly cringe at Fareham.

But it highlights the limits of local by-elections as a thermometer. Fear the local factors, dear boy.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

The party is flat on its back, for heaven's sake!
  • Options
    Liz Truss ignored stark warnings from economists sympathetic to her growth strategy that the mini-budget that ultimately led to her downfall risked triggering a financial markets meltdown, the Guardian has learned….

But days before the start of her premiership, she was told by the economists Gerard Lyons and Julian Jessop that the markets were highly nervous and that she could face a crash if her policy changes were not handled with care.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/oct/21/liz-truss-ignored-economists-stark-warnings-over-mini-budget
  • Options
    Stunning and devastating opening from Newsnight tonight.
    Harsh, yes. Media students (and current broadcast journalists!) take note: your edit is nothing without the right choice of music. And oh boy this is quite the choice. https://twitter.com/timoncheese/status/1583216768986013701/video/1
  • Options

Liz Truss ignored stark warnings from economists sympathetic to her growth strategy that the mini-budget that ultimately led to her downfall risked triggering a financial markets meltdown, the Guardian has learned….

But days before the start of her premiership, she was told by the economists Gerard Lyons and Julian Jessop that the markets were highly nervous and that she could face a crash if her policy changes were not handled with care.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/oct/21/liz-truss-ignored-economists-stark-warnings-over-mini-budget

They were immediately followed by a delegation of zoologists who warned her about ursine excretory behaviour in the arboreal environment.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

The Nasty Piece of Workness was always there. It's just been hidden under superficial boosterish bonhomie. Everyone starts liking Boris, then he betrays them, then they hate him. Every single time.

Which (I hope) is why the 100 nomination rule is there. There are sufficient Conservative MPs who have been personally let down by BoJo that it may be out of reach. Looking at his list of backers, it's very third rate.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,200
    Scott_xP said:
    Seems to be missing the huge Franco-German row brewing. I think europhiles in the U.K. like to pretend that the rest of Europe is obsessed with us. They are not.
  • Options
    Penddu2Penddu2 Posts: 595
    If I was a Labour supporter I would be encouraging Boris to stand. He will destroy any credibility left in the Conservative party...
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    Scott_xP said:

NEW. *The Conservative Party falls to the lowest level of support in British polling history*

Labour 53%
    Conservatives 14%
    Lib Dems 11%

@PeoplePolling Oct 20

Brexit = extinction event
  • Options
    JACK_WJACK_W Posts: 651
    Apparently 10 Downing Street is set to become a favourite airbnb destination - excellent for short stays ....
  • Options
    JACK_W said:

Apparently 10 Downing Street is set to become a favourite airbnb destination - excellent for short stays ....

Please tell me they have kept Boris' wallpaper in storage somewhere and we will not have to pay another £250k to replace it?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,306
    Andy_JS said:

I've got a bad feeling Johnson is going to be selected again.

Boris will only stand if he is confident that he can win. That was the decision he took in 2016, for example. I do not see how he could be confident of winning at the moment with the standards committee hanging over him with a ton of manure and the blatant lying too raw and too recent. Therefore he will not stand.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,304
    Chris said:

Scott_xP said:

The party is flat on its back, for heaven's sake!
    Exactly. It's flat on its back now and, with luck and a fair wind from exogenous factors (Ukraine, gas prices, events) might be on its knees by next year with the worst past us and an upward economic and political trend.

If we all deem the party and country is at its lowest now you know what the only way is, don't you.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    Seems to be missing the huge Franco-German row brewing. I think europhiles in the U.K. like to pretend that the rest of Europe is obsessed with us. They are not.
    The presenters on the main Swedish tv news this morning were laughing their heads off. Or as near as Swedes ever get to laughing their heads off. It is very, very funny.
  • Options
    In September 2022 the public sector borrowed £20.0 bn, the second highest September borrowing on record, being £2.2 bn more than that in September 2021 but £8.2 bn less than in September 2020. This short thread provides the story behind the headlines.

https://twitter.com/fraser_ons_psf/status/1583337432321097729
  • Options
    Penddu2 said:

If I was a Labour supporter I would be encouraging Boris to stand. He will destroy any credibility left in the Conservative party...

This is their challenge. Whilst on paper we elect the named candidate on the ballot paper and not the party or a PM, most voters don't accept this - they vote for a PM.

Boris Johnson is the only potential candidate with a political mandate. He is the reason why the Tories won the 2019 election as they did. But he is also a PM who was hounded out of office a few months ago following scandal after scandal with strongly negative approval ratings.

So his mandate of 2019 is tenuous at best here in 2022. But tenuous is at least something that exists. Unlike the "mandate" that Sunak or Mordaunt or Braverman could clam. No candidate is going to unify the party, so the paper majority doesn't exist in practice.

I still think a spring 2023 election is on. Whichever PM we get next - the disgraced last-but-one one or yet another retread replacement - they are going to seriously struggle to maintain parliamentary discipline and actually govern. With massive poll disapproval and an overwhelming sense of fatigue against them.
  • Options

I think europhiles in the U.K. like to pretend that the rest of Europe is obsessed with us. They are not.

German TV news on what is happening in British politics is amazing. No need to understand German, watch to the end https://twitter.com/ProMediaRes1/status/1583060519908696066/video/1
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,462
    I found Guidos spreadsheet very helpful in the previous contest. Sad to see it just descend into blatant Boris ramping “1922 board”? “CCHQ Vice Chair” (x2)?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Note Scotchland and the partitioned bit of Ireland also set alight by the English autoarsonists.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,196
    Scott_xP said:

BoZo spent more time on holiday than Truss spent as PM

Tbf, she would have done less damage if she had been on holiday for the last six weeks.

The only comfort I take from this whole sorry saga and the likely Johnson redux is this: for a man who loves a Carribbean holiday he missed his moment in the sun, and he was out of office long enough for the history books to write him out of being QE2's last PM and KC3's first PM.

Scant consolation indeed, but consolation nonetheless.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

I misread that - rather more accurately - as "he's a walking shit show they can't control".

• Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,821

Penddu2 said:

This is their challenge. Whilst on paper we elect the named candidate on the ballot paper and not the party or a PM, most voters don't accept this - they vote for a PM.

Boris Johnson is the only potential candidate with a political mandate. He is the reason why the Tories won the 2019 election as they did. But he is also a PM who was hounded out of office a few months ago following scandal after scandal with strongly negative approval ratings.

So his mandate of 2019 is tenuous at best here in 2022. But tenuous is at least something that exists. Unlike the "mandate" that Sunak or Mordaunt or Braverman could clam. No candidate is going to unify the party, so the paper majority doesn't exist in practice.

I still think a spring 2023 election is on. Whichever PM we get next - the disgraced last-but-one one or yet another retread replacement - they are going to seriously struggle to maintain parliamentary discipline and actually govern. With massive poll disapproval and an overwhelming sense of fatigue against them.
    The only way I see an early GE is if Johnson returns . The Tory party could implode if that happens.
  • Options
    Has Thérèse Coffey gone yet?
  • Options
    nico679 said:

Penddu2 said:

The only way I see an early GE is if Johnson returns . The Tory party could implode if that happens.
    Not could, would.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    The presenters on the main Swedish tv news this morning were laughing their heads off. Or as near as Swedes ever get to laughing their heads off. It is very, very funny.
    Sounds plausible. There's a space where Europe isn't that into us (which is why we didn't get the leaving gift we wanted) but the UK is a reliable source of stories of craziness. Sort of like America's Dumbest Criminals, only with politicians.
  • Options
    NEW: Westminster Voting Intention poll (20 Oct):

🔴 LAB: 53% (= from 12 Oct)
    🔵 CON: 14% (-5)
    🟠 LDM: 11% (+3)
    🟢 GRN: 6% (=)
    🟡 SNP: 5% (-1)

Full tables: https://peoplepolling.org/tables/202210_GBN_W42_full.pdf#subsection*.12
  • Options

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

The Nasty Piece of Workness was always there. It's just been hidden under superficial boosterish bonhomie. Everyone starts liking Boris, then he betrays them, then they hate him. Every single time.

Which (I hope) is why the 100 nomination rule is there. There are sufficient Conservative MPs who have been personally let down by BoJo that it may be out of reach. Looking at his list of backers, it's very third rate.
    The winner of the contest will inevitably have to do well with the very third rate. How they do with the first rate is a rounding error in comparison.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,636
    Second week in a row where the Tories have done better than expected in local by-elections.
  • Options
    NEW. "Who should replace Liz Truss?"

ALL VOTERS
    Rishi Sunak 19%
    Boris Johnson 16%
    Penny Mordaunt 5%

2019 CONSERVATIVES
    Boris Johnson 38%
    Rishi Sunak 20%
    Penny Mordaunt 8%

@PeoplePolling Oct 20

https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1583343092312133633
  • Options
    Are Truss and Kwarteng going to stand down and cause by-elections?

I just get a strong sense that we are about to get a spate of defections and/or by-elections.
  • Options

The interviews with the members which followed. Cripes.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Full tables: https://peoplepolling.org/tables/202210_GBN_W42_full.pdf#subsection*.12

Tories sub 15%

Ker-fuck-ching.

I will speak always favourably about Liz Truss, her premiership has helped me win over £2,000, not bad for fewer than seven weeks.
    And probably knocked £200k off the value of your assets......
  • Options
    nico679 said:

Penddu2 said:

In all likelihood that is the way it is going to go anyway.

The only one I can see actually managing to ride it out a little longer is Penny, and then probably only so far as a year, tops. Because she’s not closely related to a particular faction she’s in a better place to bring more people together. But the party is on the whole ungovernable, so she’ll run into some issue that will ignite a split.

If Boris wins then I think the majority will evaporate and I think we’ll be looking at an immediate GE.

If Rishi wins the amount of undermining from the usual suspects will make things ungovernable and I suspect he’ll have probably until January at the latest, before he’ll need to go to the country.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,996
    Lots of PBers seem weirdly certain Boris is back.

He’s available at 4.x on Betfair.
  • Options

Are Truss and Kwarteng going to stand down and cause by-elections?

I just get a strong sense that we are about to get a spate of defections and/or by-elections.

Truss told Downing St staff she is staying in Parliament.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,335
    I've laid Boris again this morning.

(1) Guido’s ramping. Boris doesn't actually have more declared support than Sunak. I view this as a sign of weakness - not strength; if he had the real names he'd declare them. He's trying to build an inevitability narrative that doesn't yet exist.
    (2) Boris hasn't declared he will stand yet. He is taking "soundings" and that doesn't just mean MPs who'd support him, it means taking views of those he knows into account.
    (3) I expect many MPs to mobilise this morning to declare they'd refuse to serve under him or would resign the whip, which may spook the markets.

DYOR.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    Of course it is. Couldn't begrudge other nations a good laugh at a time like this, it's pretty crazy after all. Other peoples political crises are usually funny.

But governments are serious things even if spokespeople are not. All it needs is a new leader to get a grip and all will return to normal, so no one should feel that embarrassed by this period causing amusement.
  • Options
    RattersRatters Posts: 780
    Scott_xP said:

That surely has to be the nadir of Tory polling.

The only way is up from here??
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    Scott_xP said:

Only two thirds of 2019 Tory voters “certain to vote”. That’s a lot of stay-at-homes that a new leader might coax back.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    Note Scotchland and the partitioned bit of Ireland also set alight by the English autoarsonists.
    Surely if it is Scotchland they should stick together with the rest of us?
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

(1) Guido’s ramping. Boris doesn't actually have more declared support than Sunak. I view this as a sign of weakness - not strength; if he had the real names he'd declare them. He's trying to build an inevitability narrative that doesn't yet exist.
    (2) Boris hasn't declared he will stand yet. He is taking "soundings" and that doesn't just mean MPs who'd support him, it means taking views of those he knows into account.
    (3) I expect many MPs to mobilise this morning to declare they'd refuse to serve under him or would resign the whip, which may spook the markets.

DYOR.

I hope you’re right. On the other hand, the long term political trend where the worst possible outcome is realised, would be continued by Boris coming back.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,335

NEW. "Who should replace Liz Truss?"

ALL VOTERS
    Rishi Sunak 19%
    Boris Johnson 16%
    Penny Mordaunt 5%

2019 CONSERVATIVES
    Boris Johnson 38%
    Rishi Sunak 20%
    Penny Mordaunt 8%

@PeoplePolling Oct 20

https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1583343092312133633

Penny Mordaunt is a clear lay at 5/1, I think.
  • Options
    edited October 2022

DYOR.

It will be interesting to see if your number 3 is correct.

I actually wondered if we’d get a big spread in the Sundays from (say) 40 or so MPs confirming they’d resign the whip if BoJo returned, thereby essentially telling other MPs/members they would be voting for a new GE.

The slight issue with this tactic is it risks enraging the BoJo backers so much that they actually make a counter-threat. Thereby essentially making an immediate GE inevitable (and probably leading to a Boris win because he’s (sadly) the best chance the Tories have at the moment of salvaging something).

I am starting to think a December GE is possible again. Does the parliamentary timetable allow for it or would it actually be held in January?

• Options

Lots of PBers seem weirdly certain Boris is back.

He’s available at 4.x on Betfair.

I don't think he'll come back, I don't think he should come back.

But it would be highly amusing, in the most inappropriate way.
  • Options
    While Sunak leads, marginally, among all voters, @BorisJohnson holds commanding 19-pt lead among 2019 voters party needs to win back if it is to have hope of avoiding oblivion. No easy answers for a party that is about to make one of the most important decisions in its history
    https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1583349321399160832
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,304
    edited October 2022
    Taking a step back it is amazing that the Cons party is even thinking of twatting itself around the head with a shovel again.

I can't be the only one (an ex-Cons member to boot) who sees Rishi as the only possible alternative for next leader and yet they are cocking about with Penny and you-know-who.

Truly it is a death wish. But also democracy, which is scarier.
  • Options

From that report:-

Jessop said the opportunity to deliver on the growth strategy had now been lost. “Supply-side reforms need a strong, committed prime minister. We have gone back to what we were trying to avoid – a doom loop of tax increases, spending cuts and weak economic growth. A deep recession now starts to look more likely.”
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Nigelb said:

The interviews with the members which followed. Cripes.
    Liddington’s pleas seem to have fallen on deaf ears.

I think the other good point he made is that the Conservative membership* should be consulted when they are in Opposition, but when in government it should be MPs only - as they have a mandate from the whole electorate, not just party members. And if the party membership choice meets electoral approval in a subsequent GE all well and good, and if not, perhaps they’ll learn.

*Would apply to Labour too, if they were ever any good at getting rid of duds.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,263
    Debt interest payments are up by a staggering 63.8% year-to-date on a year ago, £57.1bn so far in 2022-23. Table 7
  • Options
    Only 6 Conservative MPs have so far announced their retirement at the next GE:

Ross, Moray, leader Scottish Tories
    Adams, Selby & Ainsty
    Afriyie, Windsor
    Blunt, Reigate
    Penning, Hemel Hempstead
    Walker, Broxbourne

Surely that list is going to triple or quadruple shortly?
  • Options
    Ireland following Scotland's lead this morning.

We could have both Scotland & Ireland in Super 12 stage.
  • Options

DYOR.

I'm slightly green on all outcomes and have given up trying to predict the collection of risibles.

British democracy needs a credible right of centre party. The Conservatives have given up on that.

This discussion has been closed.