Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

LAB moves to its biggest ever YouGov lead over the Tories – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623

mwadams said:

Scott_xP said:

Fuck, these guys are desperate...

Shouldn't that headline be accompanied by a picture of Clive Dunn as Corporal Jones, with Kwarteng's face badly pasted on?
    The Star's portrayal of KK almost makes me feel sorry for him. Enough to make it clear he's (yet another) clown, but in the most dismal way possible.

"Fascinating facts about poop" related to the economic deep shit?
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,929
    After 70 years of the cypher ‘EIIR’ for Queen Elizabeth II…
    King Charles’ new cypher ‘CIIIR’ has just been released.
    It’s what will appear on new post boxes, government buildings and state documents.
    The change will be ‘gradual’ says the Palace. https://twitter.com/chrisshipitv/status/1574507301079244808/photo/1
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,977
    HYUFD said:

mwadams said:

The only thing that can save the Conservative Party in the medium term is an electoral evisceration so complete that they have to rebuild from scratch.

I think we need something else frankly. They're corrupt, they are stupid, they are inept, they are idiotic, they spent weeks and weeks in the teeth of a crisis having pissing contests. And we cannot, cannot, cannot let Labour have a massive majority. Something, Someone needs to step up
    I am not a Labour voter by any means. Labour are probably the party I have voted for less often than any other, even the Greens. The Tories (as was, pre-2015) were probably the party I voted for the most.

But if Labour are the price of getting rid of this shower then so be it. And if Labour do enact PR then I will definitely be voting for them.

It is clear that the system needs to change. FPTP is no longer fit for purpose. It only worked when politicians had integrity and the guts to face the public down for the good of the country rather than their party. The Boris's, Truss's and Corbyns have shown how badly reform is needed.
    Now Starmer is heading for a majority he will file PR in a bottom drawer and never get it out again
    Nope - not that I can ask anyone until the weekend but I suspect PR is firmly in the plan for Year 1 of a Labour Government.

They may not always get a majority but the Tories (as currently exist) never will and that is definitely a priority at the moment...
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,981
    Foxy said:

We should commend that PBer who was roundly mocked for saying Truss would be ousted by conference 2023.

He is such a visionary.

You think she can last that long?
    It would be better for the country (if not for Labour) if she didn’t. I’m not sure our economy ca handle much more of these clowns.

Bring in a cool headed manager like Gromit or Dishy, the Tories might still be largest party - the ludicrous new boundaries give them a massive advantage.
  • Options
    The Tories’ vote share is plummeting even faster than the pound. https://twitter.com/bnhwalker/status/1574507756861669378
  • Options

This story is a complete insignificance compared to the Federal Reserve, a body that hasn't even been elected to rule the US, let alone the UK, telling the UK Chancellor to change his policy, in public. It is an international outrage.

I think you need to understand the nature of power, who has it and who doesn't.

Then you can think about how we lost ours (clue: which party has been in power for a fair while).
    I think I understand it quite well - and it's notable that the Fed is having to make public interventions of this type. Previously, a word in the right ear would have been sufficient to prevent the budget even happening. That speaks to waning US influence over our domestic politics, which is extremely heartening.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,178
    Foxy said:

Just seen Rachel Reeves pledge to double medical school places. I had missed that before.

I don't think we have that capacity, but even if we did, it would be better to address the problem of retention and to keep the ones already trained. Ditto teachers etc.

Well quite. I don’t she understands clinical training and the need for placements. She also said she would double district nurses every year, which I took as an exponential increase, but probably was meant as a one off…
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    Foxy said:

eek said:

Replying to @kle4 FPT

It’s a conference poll, so ignore it.

But, on your wider point, there were sources in the papers at the weekend saying that what is different now is that Labour are winning direct switchers from the Tories (rather than grinding out leads via attrition from the minor parties)

Hang on - if this was Thursday or Friday it would be a conference poll.

This was run over the weekend before conferences began - it's really just a normal poll - albeit the one where Truss should be at least reducing the Tory leader following a successful and popular budget announcement

Oops...
    Indeed showing the Truss bounce...
    Anabob is correct, there is a such a thing as conference bounce.

A Truss uptick really did happen, it was very real, as Mike explained a few don’t knows coming home and Tory’s went up in most polls, it appears shortlived, and Liz seemed to excite Labour to get firmer at same time.

However for my taste Yougov too volatile, 27th July they had 1% Lab lead.
  • Options
    How could Kwasi Kwarteng reassure the markets?

Watch this - it's not pretty https://twitter.com/samcoatessky/status/1574509191053582338
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,203
    Roger said:

Scott_xP said:

Traders are referring to Truss as “Daggers” - as in Dagenham, 2 stops past Barking…🤣🤣
    https://twitter.com/alibrady1860/status/1574417566432362498

Brilliant!
    Funny, but sadly not original. It was said of Thatcher by backbenchers in the late 80s.
  • Options
    mwadams said:

Scott_xP said:

Shouldn't that headline be accompanied by a picture of Clive Dunn as Corporal Jones, with Kwarteng's face badly pasted on?
    Standards have slipped.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,886
    edited September 2022

Appalling opening for the Truss government in the first few mins of BBC news at 10.

Millions watching and quite possibly many who do not follow news during the day learning about Black Monday.

If it is all about currency falls, why? The pound lost all of 0.2% against the Euro today. That's not a "Black Monday".

There's definitely an element of over-reaction.

Though why the BoE didn't go for 0.75% I have no idea.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274

Foxy said:

Just seen Rachel Reeves pledge to double medical school places. I had missed that before.

I don't think we have that capacity, but even if we did, it would be better to address the problem of retention and to keep the ones already trained. Ditto teachers etc.

Well quite. I don’t she understands clinical training and the need for placements. She also said she would double district nurses every year, which I took as an exponential increase, but probably was meant as a one off…
    It will be a promise she’s made to Streeting, who has been obsessed with nurse training for some time. Whether as a relative newbie he yet understands all the detail, I do not know.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,991
    eek said:

HYUFD said:

mwadams said:

The only thing that can save the Conservative Party in the medium term is an electoral evisceration so complete that they have to rebuild from scratch.

I think we need something else frankly. They're corrupt, they are stupid, they are inept, they are idiotic, they spent weeks and weeks in the teeth of a crisis having pissing contests. And we cannot, cannot, cannot let Labour have a massive majority. Something, Someone needs to step up
    I am not a Labour voter by any means. Labour are probably the party I have voted for less often than any other, even the Greens. The Tories (as was, pre-2015) were probably the party I voted for the most.

But if Labour are the price of getting rid of this shower then so be it. And if Labour do enact PR then I will definitely be voting for them.

It is clear that the system needs to change. FPTP is no longer fit for purpose. It only worked when politicians had integrity and the guts to face the public down for the good of the country rather than their party. The Boris's, Truss's and Corbyns have shown how badly reform is needed.
    Now Starmer is heading for a majority he will file PR in a bottom drawer and never get it out again
    Nope - not that I can ask anyone until the weekend but I suspect PR is firmly in the plan for Year 1 of a Labour Government.

They may not always get a majority but the Tories (as currently exist) never will and that is definitely a priority at the moment...
    It isn't, Labour will not want to hand the balance of power to the LDs most of the time if they can win a majority themselves. The LDs of course can go with the Tories too as 2010 proved. It would also give seats to the Greens at Labour expense as well as Farage
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,125
    The only thing that saves the Tory Govt now is an appalling, desolating world crisis - nuclear war, Covid revived, American civil war, aliens land with hostile intent, and so on

No one wants that, not even me (as much as I love drama); thus, Labour wins (we hope)
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited September 2022

Appalling opening for the Truss government in the first few mins of BBC news at 10.

Millions watching and quite possibly many who do not follow news during the day learning about Black Monday.

If it is all about currency falls, why? The pound lost all of 0.2% against the Euro today. That's not a "Black Monday".

The reaction is also about bonds, gilts, and the possibility of a sovereign debt crisis, that Max mentions.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,700
    HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

mwadams said:

It isn't, Labour will not want to hand the balance of power to the LDs most of the time if they can win a majority themselves. The LDs of course can go with the Tories too as 2010 proved. It would also give seats to the Greens at Labour expense as well as Farage

Did you consider the Little Green Men from Proxima Centauri Party?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

mwadams said:

"PR is firmly in the plan for Year 1 of a Labour Government."

Difficult to see how as Starmer has said it will not be in the manifesto.

• Options
    Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

Let me guess, they are going to borrow to cut the debt! Brilliant!!!!
    Frozen public spending budgets and 10% inflation will settle the debt.

Won't do much for the grey-haired client vote, but would be the IMF approach.
    Personally, I would be increasing taxes as well as freezing budgets. Corporation Tax in the UK is lower than the European average by about 3% so up it 2% with a 2% discount available for long term infrastructure and investment projects.

Put the 40% rate up 2% as well and a windfall tax in excess utility profits.

Nasty, but desperate times require desperate measures.

Oh - and that cap on Banker's bonuses should go back on because that lot are the gods of short-termism and dodgy deals.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,700
    Scott_xP said:

It’s what will appear on new post boxes, government buildings and state documents.
    The change will be ‘gradual’ says the Palace. https://twitter.com/chrisshipitv/status/1574507301079244808/photo/1

The Jacobites will start blowing up the new postboxes.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

It's nice.
  • Options
    BoZo is going to be making a comeback tour at conference next week, isn't he
  • Options

mwadams said:

Scott_xP said:

The Star's portrayal of KK almost makes me feel sorry for him. Enough to make it clear he's (yet another) clown, but in the most dismal way possible.

"Fascinating facts about poop" related to the economic deep shit?
    They won’t waste that much time talking about economics, they won’t have any readers left.
  • Options
    Sorry, Pound rallies? What planet is the Mail on?
  • Options

The gilt yields is more an issue for voters as it means mortgages rate changes.
  • Options
    BREAKING: I think I've found the historical analogy for the last few days in British politics. https://thecritic.co.uk/auto-destructive-art/ https://twitter.com/RobDotHutton/status/1574458224245366785/photo/1
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Kwar, huh, yeah
    What is he good for?
    Absolutely etc.
  • Options
    eek said:

Replying to @kle4 FPT

But, on your wider point, there were sources in the papers at the weekend saying that what is different now is that Labour are winning direct switchers from the Tories (rather than grinding out leads via attrition from the minor parties)

This was run over the weekend before conferences began - it's really just a normal poll - albeit the one where Truss should be at least reducing the Tory leader following a successful and popular budget announcement

Oops...

Didn’t the Labour conference start on Saturday?
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Leon said:

The only thing that saves the Tory Govt now is an appalling, desolating world crisis - nuclear war, Covid revived, American civil war, aliens land with hostile intent, and so on

No one wants that, not even me (as much as I love drama); thus, Labour wins (we hope)

Once nuclear war has been declared, the Martians have landed, Trump has burnt down the Whote House, and a new pandemic has gone global, Truss could get a small and brief, rally-round-the-flag honeymoon and uptick, I agree.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,599

Foxy said:

Nor the need for experienced trainers like me to do less clinical work to free up time to teach.
  • Options
    PJHPJH Posts: 485
    HYUFD said:

Truss on 28%, an even lower voteshare for the Tories than Major got in 1997 or even Wellington got in 1832.

However I can't see her going, the Tories removed Boris and now have made their bed and have to lie in it and just try and minimise the damage at the next election and rebuild in opposition

Having removed one leader, the Tories can't remove another before a general elction. If they do, they demonstrate they they are so split that no leader can command a majority. In that case they would have to resign en masse and let Labour form a government before calling an election, as happened in 1905.
  • Options
    mwadams said:

Scott_xP said:

I was thinking that they should have used large friendly letters for the first two words of that headline...
  • Options
    Roger said:

Wow! The worst exchange rate against the Dollar since 1792 which means the worst ever. "This shouldn't happen to a G7 currency' says Faisal Islam.

Does he know Italy is in the G7?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,592
    There won't be any letters to Graham Brady just a few days after Truss was elected.
  • Options

eek said:

Replying to @kle4 FPT

Oops...

Didn’t the Labour conference start on Saturday?
    Sunday with the National Anthem and even then the first announcements were today...
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,607

This is the second poll with Labour on 45%, a score that Labour managed many times under Miliband's leadership, but they only once went one point better to 46%.

The thing that stands out to me, still, is not publishing anything from the OBR. It reminds me of something that is said about the Russians, that they will lie even when they know that you know they are lying, as with the nonsense over Salisbury Cathedral.

Not publishing the OBR forecasts feels like the same sort of thing. They know that we know it's because they will be terrible, but they weren't going to publish them anyway. It shows complete contempt.

The irony is that the Government has told us how great bankers are, give 'em back their big bonuses, and they're all about how the market can deliver... and the bankers and the market have clearly said they're a shower of piss.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,592
    Leon said:

Reading the comments on here, you'd think the next election has to be held by the end of the year. In fact it's January 2025.
  • Options

mwadams said:

The problem here, 17 fucking points notwithstanding (!) Is that there appears to be no confidence in them. Things like enterprize zones shouldnt be getting panned in polling and clearly voters do not believe the dash for growth will produce growth. Because theyve concluded the budget wasnt fair, youre not going to convince them it will achieve its aim. And so it just becomes a sop to the rich.
    Theyre screwed. Nothing can turn this round. All efforts for the tories need to be on being in a position to come back after one term out.

But they need to clean the wound, too. Who will be in Parliament, but untainted by association with the Johnson or Truss administrations, around which a future government in waiting can be built?
    Theyve had to clean the wound too often. Maybe they are just past their sell by. Maybe the right needs proper populism not spivs and frauds and etonian c***s
    The thing is, wooliedyed, populism always involves spivs and frauds.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

mwadams said:

Yes, I think he’s already said he won’t implement it and is no fan of it AIUI
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Reading the comments on here, you'd think the next election has to be held by the end of the year. In fact it's January 2025.
    It will almost certainly be 2025 at this rate. They will hang on like Brown did.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

BoZo is going to be making a comeback tour at conference next week, isn't he

Yep. It has gone tits up faster than even he dared hope.

• Options

Manic Monday I would say. I mean we had the recovery in the middle of the day followed by the inexplicable statements from Treasury and BofE.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsmVgoXDq2w <- Manic Monday
  • Options
    Worth remembering that Friday’s budget gave everyone sweeties. There were no genuinely tough choices in there. The reception to it is absolutely not what either Truss or Kwarteng would have expected. It could just be that they are really, really bad at politics.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Traders are referring to Truss as “Daggers” - as in Dagenham, 2 stops past Barking…🤣🤣

THREE stops past Barking on the District Line: Barking, Upney, Becontree, Dagenham Heathway.

ONE stop past Barking on the c2c route via Rainham: Barking, Dagenham Dock.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

HYUFD said:

mwadams said:

FPTP keeps the duopoly in power. Neither the Tories nor Labour will get rid of it.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,598

This is the second poll with Labour on 45%, a score that Labour managed many times under Miliband's leadership, but they only once went one point better to 46%.

Looking back over the 2010-2015 polling is fascinating. Another era. There were times Labour led by up to 15 points and the stories were down at times in the 20s due to UKIP, yet Cameron was still leading Miliband on approval, and satisfaction with the government was relatively high.

I suppose what that points to is a lack of the same entrenched partisanship there is in these post-Brexit days, so more floating voters and greater volatility in VI.

• Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,934
    edited September 2022
    The other big big problem the Tories have is this growth drive.... if we get growth, even supercharged growth, where is that money going? The public don't believe it will reach them. Probably because it won't. Thats where Toryism and populism diverge.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

And if we wait two months they might even tell us what it is.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725
    edited September 2022

Replying to kle4 FPT

It's not that out of step though.

Feels like times are changing.
  • Options
    PeterMPeterM Posts: 302
    MaxPB said:

With surging corporate bond yields I think we may see some big names fall. Morrisons and Asda are ones to watch. Very highly leveraged and junk bond ratings on the latter. Wouldn't be surprised if they weren't able to meet their servicing costs next year because the economy will be in the shit, inflation rampant and interest rates surging. People won't be spending money and they have a mountain of debt and will be facing annual servicing costs in excess of £1bn per year.

In general we could see a lot of those leveraged buyouts by PE fall apart soon and a lot of jobs lost as a result of perfectly healthy companies being loaded up with debt when money was cheap.

I wont weep for private equity vultures
  • Options

Worth remembering that Friday’s budget gave everyone sweeties. There were no genuinely tough choices in there. The reception to it is absolutely not what either Truss or Kwarteng would have expected. It could just be that they are really, really bad at politics.

Well not everyone. 1% of people got sweeties everyone else got a few crumbs then got told to shut up and stop moaning.
  • Options
    Not the honeymoon Liz Truss might have hoped for.

Paul Brand, ITV.

Deadpan.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

And if we wait two months they might even tell us what it is.
    I cannot believe they actually used 'Don't Panic!' in a headline, sincerely and not as an ironic jest.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187

mwadams said:

I am not concerned if Starmer does have a working majority because the debt and problems will still be there, and he will face some very difficult decisions on spending and maintaining investments in the public sector
    You don't mind Labour governments so long as the country is in a mess?
  • Options

I got one sweetie, that fat kid got 5, and he already had a sack of them.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

With surging corporate bond yields I think we may see some big names fall. Morrisons and Asda are ones to watch. Very highly leveraged and junk bond ratings on the latter. Wouldn't be surprised if they weren't able to meet their servicing costs next year because the economy will be in the shit, inflation rampant and interest rates surging. People won't be spending money and they have a mountain of debt and will be facing annual servicing costs in excess of £1bn per year.

In general we could see a lot of those leveraged buyouts by PE fall apart soon and a lot of jobs lost as a result of perfectly healthy companies being loaded up with debt when money was cheap.

It's surprising how expensive Morrisons has got - to the extent that we now shop at Sainsburys as it's cheaper - even though Sainsbury's is an awful store...
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,957

The other big big problem the Tories have is this growth drive.... if we get growth, even supercharged growth, where is that money going? The public don't believe it will reach them. Probably because it won't. Thats where Toryism and populism diverge.

Can't even see growth. Never mind where it is going
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

How could Kwasi Kwarteng reassure the markets?

Watch this - it's not pretty https://twitter.com/samcoatessky/status/1574509191053582338

I doubt he will get 8 days never mind 8 weeks
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Well not everyone. 1% of people got sweeties everyone else got a few crumbs then got told to shut up and stop moaning.
    They also promised they will pee out the sweeties onto us, if we are good little boys and girls.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

mwadams said:

Carnyx does have a point HY. Do the Tories even exist under PR. Starmer jettisons the left, who didn’t even have enough votes to nominate Corbyn, but Conservative Party splits too, which we know as fact because it’s already happened.

It’s not a problem with Conservatism, such as you and many other PBers believe in, it’s a rise in Libertarian Economics, Anti woke, and Right wing populism infesting the Conservative brand that doesn’t show respect in institutions and counterbalances conservatism is founded on, that are all pulling the Conservative party apart right now, and have been for some time.
  • Options

We should commend that PBer who was roundly mocked for saying Truss would be ousted by conference 2023.

He is such a visionary.

He's far to modest to identify himself, so we should respect that and not mention the name.
  • Options

Sorry, Pound rallies? What planet is the Mail on?

Mail was hailing Truss genius budget a couple of days ago...surely even the oaps arent going to belueve the mail now
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

mwadams said:

I am not concerned if Starmer does have a working majority because the debt and problems will still be there, and he will face some very difficult decisions on spending and maintaining investments in the public sector
    No because then his favourite party can get back in again.

Let's face it, he loves Truss when she's doing well.
  • Options
    Fucking bankers, eh?

• Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,598
    MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

mwadams said:

FPTP keeps the duopoly in power. Neither the Tories nor Labour will get rid of it.
    The next election may focus the minds of Labour if the SNP hold the balance of power. FPTP gives them 44 seats to the Lib Dems’ and Greens’ 15, where PR would give them closer to 30 and the Lib Dems and Greens at least 90-100 between them. Annoying to have to do coalitions with those two but less of a constitutional dilemma and much less risk of 2015-style Tory attacks.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

mwadams said:

It is the way it is no matter who wins in 2024

This is not going to be resolved quickly and expect some very difficult decisions on tax and spending
  • Options

The thing that stands out to me, still, is not publishing anything from the OBR. It reminds me of something that is said about the Russians, that they will lie even when they know that you know they are lying, as with the nonsense over Salisbury Cathedral.

Not publishing the OBR forecasts feels like the same sort of thing. They know that we know it's because they will be terrible, but they weren't going to publish them anyway. It shows complete contempt.

The irony is that the Government has told us how great bankers are, give 'em back their big bonuses, and they're all about how the market can deliver... and the bankers and the market have clearly said they're a shower of piss.
    What has struck me from talking to friends and colleagues in the market, people who will get bigger bonuses and pay less tax as a result of the special fiscal operation and so should be the people supporting it even if nobody else does, is how none of them think the government is doing the right thing. They all think it is total madness and can't see what the strategy is. I've actually been quite heartened and surprised by the level of contempt on display. I really do think the events of the last few days mark a decisive shift in the UK's political dynamics.
    Yes, I found no support for the Friday measures among my colleagues, quite a few of whom will benefit from the tax cuts and bonus cap removal. The latter was generally received well but the tax cut not so much and the other measures were seen as what you described - a lack of strategy.
  • Options
    'Time for a change' is the cliched cry of an opposition. But when the government is also using it, the worry of that opposition is lessened - the need for change is already established, and who is better to undertake it?
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Kwar, huh, yeah
    What is he good for?
    Absolutely etc.
    I have read the Metro headline five times now and still don’t get the pun.

It reads fine without the Kwar.

I must be missing something obvious.
  • Options
    When was the last time we went from a landslide to a landslide? Must be some good odds on that
  • Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004
    New Russian conscripts being dumped at the front line with almost no gear. (video in link)

Soldiers, most likely L/DPR guys, are sitting in the forest on the frontline, complaining about how they were dumped with no food or water, only with assault rifles.
    https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1574488787400507416
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187

What has struck me from talking to friends and colleagues in the market, people who will get bigger bonuses and pay less tax as a result of the special fiscal operation and so should be the people supporting it even if nobody else does, is how none of them think the government is doing the right thing. They all think it is total madness and can't see what the strategy is. I've actually been quite heartened and surprised by the level of contempt on display. I really do think the events of the last few days mark a decisive shift in the UK's political dynamics.
    Good to hear and hope you're right. Think you might be. But ... let's ask it ... will they vote Labour next time if it means they pay more tax?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,957

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

mwadams said:

Carnyx does have a point HY. Do the Tories even exist under PR. Starmer jettisons the left, who didn’t even have enough votes to nominate Corbyn, but Conservative Party splits too, which we know as fact because it’s already happened.

It’s not a problem with Conservatism, such as you and many other PBers believe in, it’s a rise in Libertarian Economics, Anti woke, and Right wing populism infesting the Conservative brand that doesn’t show respect in institutions and counterbalances conservatism is founded on, that are all pulling the Conservative party apart right now, and have been for some time.
    They arent the same thing.

• Options
    eek said:

MaxPB said:

It's surprising how expensive Morrisons has got - to the extent that we now shop at Sainsburys as it's cheaper - even though Sainsbury's is an awful store...
    5 live business recently compared a basket of essential from Morrisons and Lidl and Lidl were 40 % cheaper
  • Options
    Surely all the Tories have to do is shout at the woke civil service, that's the cause of all of this
  • Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004
    Looks like Russia has now even lost North Korea as a backer...

#NorthKorea has released an official statement claiming that it has never supplied weapons to #Russia and has no such plans.
    https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1572825644551245825
  • Options
    Radical thought. The NHS is not as good as people think it is, or should be. There are different models, some close at hand on the continent. They use insurance systems, and the state supports the low paid etc. Seems to work well.

I don’t think the Tories could ever introduce it. But what about Labour? Sav3 the NHS by changing the way it’s paid for?
  • Options
    Letting the biggest ever intervention on behalf of people and businesses and a tax cut for all tax payers just fade into the ether whilst the only topic being talked about is bigger tax cuts for rich pricks which will have minimal effect on growth maybe in 18 months time is beyond inept.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    eek said:

MaxPB said:

An analyst on R5L did the maths, tracking a basket of goods and calculated Morrisons were 40% more expensive vs Aldi.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Scott_xP said:

Well, I'm in East Ham which makes me very nearly Barking !!
    Yes, but East Ham is definitely the right side of Barking, young Stodge.
  • Options
    Truss did not win a general election.
    She was backed by only 14% of Tory MPs in the first round and not by a plurality of them in any round.
    She is not following the 2019 Tory manifesto.
    She is mid-teens behind in the polls.

That's a very brittle mandate to impose a whip on.

https://twitter.com/DavidHerdson/status/1574515803147337728
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

mwadams said:

Indeed. I remember the AV vote, when lots of Labour grandees emerged to pan the idea.
  • Options
    AlistairM said:

New Russian conscripts being dumped at the front line with almost no gear. (video in link)

Soldiers, most likely L/DPR guys, are sitting in the forest on the frontline, complaining about how they were dumped with no food or water, only with assault rifles.
    https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1574488787400507416

Blimey, the tragedies are just piling up today, aren't they?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Yep - they are really bad at politics. They thought the 19p tax rate and NI cut would get bigger coverage than the huge tax cuts for the rich. And somehow they managed to ensure no-one was talking about the energy price cap.

• Options
    edited September 2022
    Scott_xP said:

Fucking bankers, eh?

Pricless. Is Crispin Odey, chief financial instigator of Vote Leave, Truss funder and Pound better, an "enemy of the people" now, too, eh ?
  • Options
    PeterM said:

MaxPB said:

Me neither, just pointing out that we may see some very big names fall because of this and the government will get the blame for that too. It may finally force the regulator to ban leveraged buy outs.
  • Options
    The problem is that Truss has managed to in record time, look useless, incompetent and out of touch.

Difficult to come back from that.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Can't even see growth. Never mind where it is going
    No, which makes the whole clusterfuck just a weird, damaging folly, rammed in at the last minute and then 'no comment' to a frightened and confused electorate.
    I mean who is advising them? Who can possibly have thought this would end well? Its incoherent drivel
  • Options

mwadams said:

The problem here, 17 fucking points notwithstanding (!) Is that there appears to be no confidence in them. Things like enterprize zones shouldnt be getting panned in polling and clearly voters do not believe the dash for growth will produce growth. Because theyve concluded the budget wasnt fair, youre not going to convince them it will achieve its aim. And so it just becomes a sop to the rich.
    Theyre screwed. Nothing can turn this round. All efforts for the tories need to be on being in a position to come back after one term out.

But they need to clean the wound, too. Who will be in Parliament, but untainted by association with the Johnson or Truss administrations, around which a future government in waiting can be built?
    Theyve had to clean the wound too often. Maybe they are just past their sell by. Maybe the right needs proper populism not spivs and frauds and etonian c***s
    Still think a new right wing nationalist party may emerge in time...the tories have sucked up a lot of english nationalist type votes that will be looking for a new home
  • Options

eek said:

MaxPB said:

5 live business recently compared a basket of essential from Morrisons and Lidl and Lidl were 40 % cheaper
    Lidl and Aldi will always be cheaper - the problem for Morrisons is that they are now more expensive than anyone else (with a loyalty scheme almost designed to get you shopping elsewhere)..

I would seriously expect Morrisons to go before Asda but it's highly likely both will go in the next 2 years and I suspect no one in Government is thinking through the consequences of 1 or other disappearing even if it's just for a week or so while someone rescues them...
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

PeterM said:

MaxPB said:

Me neither, just pointing out that we may see some very big names fall because of this and the government will get the blame for that too. It may finally force the regulator to ban leveraged buy outs.
    The obvious ones for me are Morrisons / Asda and Boots. Who else falls into the same category (I'm asking because I can't think of any which is clearly wrong but my mind is blank)...
  • Options
    mwadams said:

THINGS CAN ONLY GET BETTER

We've often wondered where the Tory base really lies. Maybe we will get to find out?
    Tory base is oaps in the provinces who own their own homes...those who can pretend to themselves we are still in the 90s
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,599
    edited September 2022
    eek said:

MaxPB said:

Depends what you buy at Morrisons. I often drop by as it is next to the hospital. I was in the Co-op today, and saw a lot of price rises on staples.

Easy for folk like Mrs Foxy and me to switch down in the supermarkets, much tougher to do so if already eating the unbranded value ranges already.

• Options
    Liz Truss did promise to hit the ground from day one.
This discussion has been closed.