Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Why’s crickets still going ahead but not football? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,986
    How constitutional monarchies work: @mrianleslie https://ianleslie.substack.com/p/being-the-queen https://twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/1568526963249238016/photo/1

The subtext of this is America might be a much happier place if Trump were King...
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

pigeon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

Foxy said:

Russia seems to be in full retreat.

@christogrozev
    If the Russian army left Svatovo as this guy says on camera - and Svatovo is about 60 km from the nearest town taken over by Ukraine - this would be the first case of retreat long before even attempting to defend a long-held position. Something bigger must be brewing inside if so

https://twitter.com/christogrozev/status/1568561436032483330

There is precedent...

https://youtu.be/P4kQvkvGi9M

I think what they are doing is finding a line that they can reinforce and resupply to the required level and, unfortunately for them, that's a long way back given their loss of railway lines and supply depots around Izyum. Stopping a panicking rout, however, is one of the most difficult things in the military playbook.
    The Russian border might end up as the only option. They know the Ukes won’t cross

But what a humiliation for Putin
    I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop, fearing resilient counter counter attack, but for the sake of Ukraine it's nice to believe for a bit.
    There's no particular reason to suppose that a Russian counter-attack is on the way. Insofar as one can see, most of the Russian armed forces are crap and many of the best units have been sent to shore up Kherson.

If the Ukrainians really have seized both Izyum and Kupiansk then that implies the collapse of the Russian positions west of the Oskil river, i.e. the liberation of most of the occupied areas of the Kharkiv oblast. If the bridges across the river are taken intact then they might even be able to strike right through into the north of the Luhansk oblast, where the Russians only recently celebrated the completion of their conquest. These are the kinds of reverses that the Russian state is going to find increasingly hard to hide from, or explain to, its people.
    Putin can see his end is theoretically in sight. He is said to be obsessed with the awful end of Gadaffi. A perilous moment for the world
    And all so extraordinarily unnecessary. Putin was rich beyond belief. There was not functioning opposition to him in Russia. Across Europe, his friends were likely to be elected, and ditto perhaps in the US.

The EU and NATO were both facing existential internal crises. Germany was shutting down its nuclear power plants.

Putin was ascendent.

And now Russia will be humiliated. And Putin may find himself deposed and likely dead.
    Just as a warning: there's no guarantees that the person who takes over from Putin won't be even more of a nationalist than he is and even worse.
    Yeah.

But the reality is that Russia has been defeated militarily.

Now, sure, whoever follows Putin might be worse. But he'll be a lot poorer worse, and he's going to be focused on keeping Russia together in the medium term.

Russia's capacity for offensive operations has been utterly destroyed.
    So what does the Russian state do next?

Best for the country would presumably for Putin to have an accident involving a window, then the state withdraws to its borders and be very very very quiet and not annoy anyone for a long time. Accept the reality that, apart from nukes, they don't have any power to do much else.

Don't see it happpening that way, though.
    If there's a change of Russian leadership, and the new people are ruthless enough, then they might realise they still have a chance to hold onto Crimea if they accept the rest of occupied Ukraine is lost.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,934
    edited September 2022
    Jon Craig brings us the stunning news on Sky that 'Labour and the other opposition parties have been just as generous as the Tories who you might think might be the more loyalist'
    Cock
  • Options

Leon said:

Major *Saddam Hussein casually strolling around the market as he loses the war* vibe in this strange video

https://twitter.com/marcofattorini/status/1568562323761119233?s=21&t=p8s_X0TUkFjpaomgeBRPeg

Also, what is wrong with Putin’s left arm? He rarely uses it, of late

Hasn't it long been speculated that Putin's stiff left arm is due to his KGB training to hide the bulge in his jacket when carrying a gun? At one point in your video he does use it to scratch his ear so it is clearly not paralysed.
    I think it's now clear that that story was just invented to cover up a medial issue he's had for a long time and that has become worse recently.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,449
    biggles said:

Leon said:

Why are republicans so angry?

We have been very reverential and polite at the passing of HMQ. Although the BBC coverage is becoming tiresome now.
    SO GO AND WATCH YOUTUBE

Seriously. What is the problem. Has Prince Andrew superglued you to the TV with the Bakelite switch set to “the BBC from London. London calling”???
    No but my Bakelite television box only has three channels and they are all wall to wall monarchy, likewise the Home Service on the wireless.
    Three words. Test Match Special.

Ooh, I hadn't thought of that. I'd assumed TMS would have been suspended with the rest of the BBC coverage.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,287
    rcs1000 said:

God Damn it, I hate it when Macron says or does something I approve of. Cognitive dissonance spins up, and I really struggle to cope.

So.

Big breath.

Nice tribute, Emmanuel.

Indeed.

In my best Kenneth Williams voice, Carry On Emmanuel.
  • Options
    The Tory membership must be deeply regretting electing Liz now. Her entire raison d'être was to terrorize the moderates by delivering hard-right libertarian shock and awe from the outset, but that's been completely derailed by events. All they're left with is a rather odd little lady sporting bondage imagery. She surely won't last a year.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,290
    edited September 2022
    Sitrep. Tolerable. But angular

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

The Tory membership must be deeply regretting electing Liz now. Her entire raison d'être was to terrorize the moderates by delivering hard-right libertarian shock and awe from the outset, but that's been completely derailed by events. All they're left with is a rather odd little lady sporting bondage imagery. She surely won't last a year.

I can't imagine they have any regrets.
  • Options

Otoh, new leader to take us into a time of national renewal after mourning. A literal reset is occuring
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

How constitutional monarchies work: @mrianleslie https://ianleslie.substack.com/p/being-the-queen https://twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/1568526963249238016/photo/1

The subtext of this is America might be a much happier place if Trump were King...

Well, if he had no actual power and wasn’t in danger of losing his status, the nutcases could revere him and he could tweet mindless shit for all eternity while doing very little actual harm while somebody else ran the country.

So it’s not impossible America would be better off with him as King.
  • Options
    Just checked in with Girkin.

• Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,315
    edited September 2022

The conservative party have elected a leader that is going to give labour a run for their money and may just confound you
  • Options
    PhilPhil Posts: 1,942
    Leon said:

Moreover, Russia’s

Cicero said:

Watching town after town being liberated by the Ukrainian armed forces today has been incredibly moving. From the Estonian perspective, the sense of gratitude for the appalling price that Ukrainians have had to pay is immense. The courage and determination of the Ukrainian nation is literally awe inspiring. As the defeat grows into an ever greater and faster rout, the outlook for the Russian army changes faster than ever. We hear of partisans already in Mariupol, and a further crushing defeat in Kherson. The Ukrainian reserve has not yet been released, so unless the Russian front line can be consolidated within a matter of hours, we could see the rout become a collapse.

Our hopes are fixed and even if this is not the end, the achievements of the past few hours are immense. Glory to Ukraine indeed.

Looking at the map one could see the Ukes chopping the Russian force in two by driving to the Black Sea around azov

Leaving Crimea isolated and only accessible by sea and by that bridge
    OSInt types are saying that Ukraine has at least another brigade equivalent force they’ve held back. If it turns out they don’t need it to support the attack in the north & Kherson remains nicely bottled up (no one wants to make an assault on a defended city if they can avoid it) then cutting the Russian front in half looks like an excellent plan.
  • Options
    edited September 2022

I think this actually strengthens her position and makes her much likelier to fight the next election. Leaving aside an unwillingness to face further uncertainty they would now be getting rid of the PM who oversaw a change of monarch. Three of the last four who did that were able to leave at a time largely of their choosing even though Churchill was so senile he kept reading the same pages over and over and couldn’t make any decisions.

The exception was Asquith, after the Somme.
  • Options

Transport issues not resolved then?
  • Options

It strikes me that by September 26 when Stop the War plans to hold its Labour conference fringe meeting on how to stop the war in Ukraine, the question may be considerably closer to being resolved. It's just that Stop the War might not like the answer.

https://twitter.com/RKWinvisibleman/status/1568566174610341891

That would be glorious.
  • Options

Leon said:

Major *Saddam Hussein casually strolling around the market as he loses the war* vibe in this strange video

https://twitter.com/marcofattorini/status/1568562323761119233?s=21&t=p8s_X0TUkFjpaomgeBRPeg

Hasn't it long been speculated that Putin's stiff left arm is due to his KGB training to hide the bulge in his jacket when carrying a gun? At one point in your video he does use it to scratch his ear so it is clearly not paralysed.
    I think it's now clear that that story was just invented to cover up a medial issue he's had for a long time and that has become worse recently.
    On watching the video (in the tweet) posted, my first thought was that Putin's arm seemed paralysed, just flopping around, right up until he scratched his left ear. So now I'm back to the KGB theory.
  • Options
    Henceforth, when we see footage of them retreating, to be known as The Rushing Army.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

I think this actually strengthens her position and makes her much likelier to fight the next election. Leaving aside an unwillingness to face further uncertainty they would now be getting rid of the PM who oversaw a change of monarch. Three of the last four who did that were able to leave at a time largely of their choosing even though Churchill was so senile he kept reading the same pages over and over and couldn’t make any decisions.

Shes almost certainly bulletproof now in the Tory party until at least Coronation for sure. I think people expecting a return to BAU in terms of party infighting after the funeral are in for a rude awakening. Even party politics will not be entirely normal
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,003
    99-8
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

God Damn it, I hate it when Macron says or does something I approve of. Cognitive dissonance spins up, and I really struggle to cope.

So.

Big breath.

Nice tribute, Emmanuel.

You’re conflicted about it, how do you I think I feel?

Macron is a class act.

Now I’m off to rinse my mouth out with bleach after saying nice things about a French President?

• Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    Leon said:

is that a sheep dip?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Sean_F said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

pigeon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

Foxy said:

Russia seems to be in full retreat.

@christogrozev
    If the Russian army left Svatovo as this guy says on camera - and Svatovo is about 60 km from the nearest town taken over by Ukraine - this would be the first case of retreat long before even attempting to defend a long-held position. Something bigger must be brewing inside if so

https://twitter.com/christogrozev/status/1568561436032483330

There is precedent...

https://youtu.be/P4kQvkvGi9M

I think what they are doing is finding a line that they can reinforce and resupply to the required level and, unfortunately for them, that's a long way back given their loss of railway lines and supply depots around Izyum. Stopping a panicking rout, however, is one of the most difficult things in the military playbook.
    The Russian border might end up as the only option. They know the Ukes won’t cross

But what a humiliation for Putin
    I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop, fearing resilient counter counter attack, but for the sake of Ukraine it's nice to believe for a bit.
    There's no particular reason to suppose that a Russian counter-attack is on the way. Insofar as one can see, most of the Russian armed forces are crap and many of the best units have been sent to shore up Kherson.

If the Ukrainians really have seized both Izyum and Kupiansk then that implies the collapse of the Russian positions west of the Oskil river, i.e. the liberation of most of the occupied areas of the Kharkiv oblast. If the bridges across the river are taken intact then they might even be able to strike right through into the north of the Luhansk oblast, where the Russians only recently celebrated the completion of their conquest. These are the kinds of reverses that the Russian state is going to find increasingly hard to hide from, or explain to, its people.
    Putin can see his end is theoretically in sight. He is said to be obsessed with the awful end of Gadaffi. A perilous moment for the world
    Also Ceaușescu and Saddam, Vlad, if you're lurking.
    Maybe we should use Mar A Largo as a refuge for the world's dictators, rather than have them fight to the bitter end.
    With Tuesday and Thursday afternoons set aside for pillow fights....
  • Options

Otoh, new leader to take us into a time of national renewal after mourning. A literal reset is occuring
    Unfortunately Liz doesn't possess the kind of overarching personality that would require. If she has any talent at all it's for a rather shabby version of 'divide and conquer'. When she finally resurfaces everyone will just think, 'Is she still here?'
  • Options
    Phil said:

Leon said:

Moreover, Russia’s

Cicero said:

Watching town after town being liberated by the Ukrainian armed forces today has been incredibly moving. From the Estonian perspective, the sense of gratitude for the appalling price that Ukrainians have had to pay is immense. The courage and determination of the Ukrainian nation is literally awe inspiring. As the defeat grows into an ever greater and faster rout, the outlook for the Russian army changes faster than ever. We hear of partisans already in Mariupol, and a further crushing defeat in Kherson. The Ukrainian reserve has not yet been released, so unless the Russian front line can be consolidated within a matter of hours, we could see the rout become a collapse.

Our hopes are fixed and even if this is not the end, the achievements of the past few hours are immense. Glory to Ukraine indeed.

Looking at the map one could see the Ukes chopping the Russian force in two by driving to the Black Sea around azov

OSInt types are saying that Ukraine has at least another brigade equivalent force they’ve held back. If it turns out they don’t need it to support the attack in the north & Kherson remains nicely bottled up (no one wants to make an assault on a defended city if they can avoid it) then cutting the Russian front in half looks like an excellent plan.
    Probably held back in case Mad Vlad the Mad decides to have another go at Kyiv through Belarus.

Ukraine's position would be so much safer if that bastard Lukashenko fell out a window....
  • Options
    A little more on Leon’s Truss BDSM theories: https://twitter.com/LillianaFuture/status/1568052439147810819
  • Options

You know that account isn't him?
  • Options

The conservative party have elected a leader that is going to give labour a run for their money and may just confound you
    I remember when you were proclaiming Theresa as 'a serious politician for serious times'.
  • Options

Leon said:

is that a sheep dip?
    Basically yes. Converted into an infinity pool

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,685
    Agree with the header. All sport should be going ahead today.
  • Options

Unfortunately Liz doesn't possess the kind of overarching personality that would require. If she has any talent at all it's for a rather shabby version of 'divide and conquer'. When she finally resurfaces everyone will just think, 'Is she still here?'
    Im going to wait and see. This monumental period will reset expectations and hope in many and will draw some of the poison that had built up with Johnson at the helm. Different expectations, different hopes and maybe for some different priorities. Dividing line moment, we will see where it all goes.
    The age of the gawky geeks us upon us
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,220
    Andy_JS said:

Socialist, Remainer, traitor!
  • Options
    110 - 9
  • Options

No, though I thought the first couple of posts I looked at were a bit defeatist even for him.
    A parody? Quite a high follower count in any case.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

is that a sheep dip?

Hope the sheep were impressed....
  • Options
    I have just been in the Occupation Museum in Riga. Hard to shake off the sense of disgust, and yes it's mostly about the Soviet occupation. Good news from the Kharkiv front tempers it slightly. Now for a bit more sightseeing and the Beer Quarter
  • Options

No, though I thought the first couple of posts I looked at were a bit defeatist even for him.
    A parody? Quite a high follower count in any case.
    Yes, it’s a very high quality account but it’s a Ukrainian using the handle ironically.
  • Options

110 - 9

That was quite an imposing play on. You don't see them dragged thwack into the base of middle stump from that short and wide very often.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226

Leon said:

He has acute 'reactionary nativism' syndrome.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,220

ydoethur said:

Shes almost certainly bulletproof now in the Tory party until at least Coronation for sure. I think people expecting a return to BAU in terms of party infighting after the funeral are in for a rude awakening. Even party politics will not be entirely normal
    Heartfelt commiserations to nearly-man Boris Johnson. Thoughts and prayers.
  • Options
    A friend messages

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11199259/Royal-beekeeper-informed-Queens-bees-HM-died-King-Charles-new-boss.html?ito=whatsapp_share_article-top

Royal beekeeper informs the Queen's bees that Her Majesty has died

He adds:

“love our country, love our traditions, love our monarchy - fucking amazing”

🥂
  • Options

I remember when you were proclaiming Theresa as 'a serious politician for serious times'.
    She turned out to be a disappointing politician for disappointing times.
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,228

I have just been in the Occupation Museum in Riga. Hard to shake off the sense of disgust, and yes it's mostly about the Soviet occupation. Good news from the Kharkiv front tempers it slightly. Now for a bit more sightseeing and the Beer Quarter

The Latvian Occupation museum is very powerful. It underlines why the Baltic view the Russians in the way they do, and Russia, unlike Germany, has never apologized for the crimes that were simply barbaric.

I can recommend Ala Pagrabs for excellent Latvian beer and live music in the evening.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,315
    edited September 2022

The one thing I have actively wanted for months is Johnson out of office

I reserved judgement on Truss prior to her appointment but she has performed well in her baptism by fire and she has 2 more years before she has to fight an election and as this week has shown events can change narratives

Certainly labour need to be careful of complacency and taking the next election for granted and yes they will face Truss
  • Options
    Phil said:

A little more on Leon’s Truss BDSM theories: https://twitter.com/LillianaFuture/status/1568052439147810819

Six weeks after PB

You can all thank me later
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    And immediately I put the cricket on, Nortje turns into Bradman.

Edit - I've still got it.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798

It strikes me that by September 26 when Stop the War plans to hold its Labour conference fringe meeting on how to stop the war in Ukraine, the question may be considerably closer to being resolved. It's just that Stop the War might not like the answer.

If it should go such a way as we hope, I will be very interested in hearing their admitting that arming defenders is in fact a way for wars to be brought to a quicker end.
  • Options
    118 all out
  • Options
    118 All out
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,308
    ydoethur said:

And immediately I put the cricket on, Nortje turns into Bradman.

Edit - I've still got it.

Not for long.. Very good result but I think that there is plenty in this wicket for the Saffers too. Tempting to go hell for leather on the basis you can get a few before the one with your name on it comes along.
  • Options

I don't think so. I think it'll just be BAU with a different monarch - who people will soon get used to - and that's that. No big deal.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    kle4 said:

If it should go such a way as we hope, I will be very interested in hearing their admitting that arming defenders is in fact a way for wars to be brought to a quicker end.
    Well, no it isn't, not than their method would have been.

If Ukraine had surrendered as STW thought they should the war would have been over in 24 hours and nobody would have died except a lot of Ukrainian men and women whom STW don't care about.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

The trouble is that the fans of certain football clubs can't be trusted not be behave like dicks during a minute's silence.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Sean_F said:

I can't imagine they have any regrets.
    Over 50% of them do, obviously.
  • Options
    Sounds like the Russians are already giving up on northern Luhansk Oblast.

https://twitter.com/DefMon3/status/1568595956265893888
  • Options
    Cicero said:

The Latvian Occupation museum is very powerful. It underlines why the Baltic view the Russians in the way they do, and Russia, unlike Germany, has never apologized for the crimes that were simply barbaric.

I can recommend Ala Pagrabs for excellent Latvian beer and live music in the evening.
    I'm saving that for later, it might be a bit too busy on a Saturday. Having said that, Riga doesn't seem too busy - it's a bit out of season and I don't think there's any Russian tourists. Have had a lovely sunny day, though.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

The trouble is that the fans of certain football clubs can't be trusted not be behave like dicks during a minute's silence.
    So, which clubs have fans that *can* be trusted not to be dicks?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

I don't think so. I think it'll just be BAU with a different monarch - who people will soon get used to - and that's that. No big deal.
    We will see. I'm of the opinion things will change, and i'm not confident what that means politically. Time will tell all
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

I may not be switched on but what is BAU
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    Leon said:

Leon said:

is that a sheep dip?

nice. I had a farmer friend who put his swimming pool through the farm books as a sheep dip. the fact his was a pea farm didnt seem to trouble him.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Business as usual
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Business As Usual.
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,132
    https://twitter.com/DarthPutinKGB/status/1568598183756038145

Soon I have to stop regular TV & broadcast Swan Lake.
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,347

Is it possible that we posting here are in no position to judge either way, since we will have already made up our minds in different circumstances to how the public will?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Business As Usual.
    Thanks
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,757
    edited September 2022
    Andy_JS said:

I don't know if anyone has made this point in the preceding 750 comments, but cricket crowds are inherently funereal in tone whereas football crowds are more ... err ... turbulent. There was always a danger of a small minority bringing the game into disrepute with plenty of reporters in attendance desperate for a story. Once upon a time a minute's silence was not uncommon at grounds to mark a sad event but these have been replaced by a minute's applause because of the refusal of a small number of fans to shut up. A minute's applause was presumably deemed even less appropriate than usual.

Edit: hat-tip @No_Offence_Alan who made the same point more succinctly.
  • Options
    biggles said:

Is it possible that we posting here are in no position to judge either way, since we will have already made up our minds in different circumstances to how the public will?
    Fair comment
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,545

The one thing I have actively wanted for months is Johnson out of office

I reserved judgement on Truss prior to her appointment but she has performed well in her baptism by fire and she has 2 more years before she has to fight an election and as this week has shown events can change narratives

Certainly labour need to be careful of complacency and taking the next election for granted and yes they will face Truss
    Politically Truss has been lucky so far, and a reset moment has arrived.

However once the national computer has finished being turned off and on again little can be done about the realities of the situation:

Max deficit
    Max debt
    Max demands for extra spending from non existent money
    Max tax levels
    Max dissatisfaction with NHS and every other branch of state funded activity
    War (I see we are winning this week, but what about next week?)
    Energy crisis
    Inflation
    Increasing interest rates
    Winter round the corner.

And £200bn or so being spent (that we have not got) which won't visibly put money in pockets (like furlough did) but will merely prevent energy bills rising even more than they are already.

Psychologically this won't count with people. They aren't getting
    huge sums of free money in the bank so there won't be any gratitude.

So Ms Truss will have to be jolly clever after the next couple of weeks has provided cover for her.
  • Options

If things are truly collapsing, what will be very interesting will be if the Ukrainians attempt at some point to reverse the 2014 losses, and if the West will stay firm for that.

They should, it was no less an invasion (Crimea might be difficult though, clearly being a lot more pro-Russian), but it's easy to see some arguing for a return to January 2022 as a first step and then pause.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    Cicero said:

Yes, that museum made a big impression me, too. One of things that always annoyed me about tim warbling on about "Latvian homophobes."

I got to climb the spire of the Cathedral, which features in The Commodore (Hornblower observes the attacking French forces from it).

The best restaurant I went to was The Black Monks, which did incredible food for an absurdly low price, back in 2000/02. We ended up tipping the waitress about a week's wages.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,687

Leon said:

is that a sheep dip?
    I can confirm that Chamonix is considerably more scenic than that today (and any other day tbf)

• Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,801
    edited September 2022
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

Nicola Sturgeon becomes the first First Minister in history to sign a proclamation document… the Acts of Union and Scotland’s constitutional tie to England loom large in this moment.

The 'Oath' signed to protect the Protestant Church of Scotland.

By @nicolasturgeon of @thesnp
    https://twitter.com/truthorbare/status/1568533308476203008/photo/1

Not so much the Protestant but the Presbyterian.

Edit: more specifically the [Established] Church of Scotland. That was put into the Treaty of Union to keep the ministers happy, like the retention of Scots Law did the lawyers (and also everyone who owned land, for obvious reasons of stability).
    Come to think of it, the Kirk isn't Established any more - and it hasn't been since the 1920s. So this must be the fourth time they're using an obsolete wording in the Proclamation. How odd.
    No, it is still established as the National Church, it’s just the government gave up the right to make appointments or to guide it on matters spiritual (ie overrule the Declaratory Articles). This is separate from that and undertaking that it will remain the National Church without being replaced by any other.

So it does make sense in that context.

It was also, I might add, the only way it could recognise the distinctive status of Scotland within the United Kingdom before the establishment of a Scottish Parliament, as the CoS was about the only truly National body going. And not just a religious one either. When did it lose substantial control of education? I want to say 1944?
    Thanks - that's interesting.

1947 is too late, I think.

In terms of the precursors of DeptEd and Ofsted, they were, IIRC, part of the late Victorian/early Edwardian administrative devolution (in part to try and fend off home rule till 1914 messed it all up). The control of course remained with the SoSfS in the UKG Cabinet till 1997 albeit mediated by the county (and then Region and then unitary) councils.

But before that admin devolution, he first state inspection and so on of schools was done from London, I think? If this is the book I have in mind, it was quite a revealing read (the cover is different so I'm slightly unsure if it is the one I have in mind)

https://birlinn.co.uk/product/tales-and-travels-of-a-school-inspector-2/

In fact probably thinking of both it ansd this one

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=hlykCwAAQBAJ&source=gbs_book_other_versions

What I can't remember is exactly how the individual school *operators* evolved - from private, charity and C of S parish, and also non-Established Presbyterians, Episcopalians and RCs both aboriginal and incoming - to incorporate an increased degree of state funding from central sources, or indeed fully state schools like the National schools in England. At some point the county had largely taken over with central inspection and grants. But there was a huge debate about the role of the state in being involved in schooling, 1840s on I think.

• Options
    novanova Posts: 525

Andy_JS said:

I don't know if anyone has made this point in the preceding 750 comments, but cricket crowds are inherently funereal in tone whereas football crowds are more ... err ... turbulent. There was always a danger of a small minority bringing the game into disrepute with plenty of reporters in attendance desperate for a story. Once upon a time a minute's silence was not uncommon at grounds to mark a sad event but these have been replaced by a minute's applause because of the refusal of a small number of fans to shut up. A minute's applause was presumably deemed even less appropriate than usual.

Apparently that was one of the considerations - that there would be plenty of clubs outside England that might have problems, and also one in the Premier League.
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,347
    kle4 said:

If things are truly collapsing, what will be very interesting will be if the Ukrainians attempt at some point to reverse the 2014 losses, and if the West will stay firm for that.

They should, it was no less an invasion (Crimea might be difficult though, clearly being a lot more pro-Russian), but it's easy to see some arguing for a return to January 2022 as a first step and then pause.
    I agree you will see the first split. I think our position has been “all territory regained” but I doubt the Germans agree.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,006

Phil said:

Leon said:

Moreover, Russia’s

Cicero said:

Probably held back in case Mad Vlad the Mad decides to have another go at Kyiv through Belarus.

Ukraine's position would be so much safer if that bastard Lukashenko fell out a window....
    Lukashenko has to be worried right now.

And if he thinks Putin's defeat is inevitable, then will he jump?
  • Options
    Does anyone still think that the Ukrainians can't kick the Russians out of the Donetsk and Luhansk oblasts?

@Dura_Ace ?

• Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,891
    edited September 2022
    kle4 said:

Rather depends on when the Russians stop running.

Ukrainians apparently entering Lysychansk...
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,193
    Labour Party tweets ‘God Save the King’

The replies on Twitter are what one would expect.

https://twitter.com/uklabour/status/1568527841582538752?s=21&t=9s37TT2pe_wfMs1W-_TtnA
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,687
    kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

A friend messages

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11199259/Royal-beekeeper-informed-Queens-bees-HM-died-King-Charles-new-boss.html?ito=whatsapp_share_article-top

Royal beekeeper informs the Queen's bees that Her Majesty has died

He adds:

“love our country, love our traditions, love our monarchy - fucking amazing”

🥂

Do the bees not have their own queen?
    Hive of traitors, every one.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,193
    rcs1000 said:

Phil said:

Leon said:

Moreover, Russia’s

Cicero said:

And if he thinks Putin's defeat is inevitable, then will he jump?
    Out of a window ?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,308
    FWIW I think that Truss has handled things tolerably well, PMQs showed a different tempo with a lot less heat and a little more light and I think post the funeral it will take a while to get back to all the rubbish we had with Boris.

The intray is truly daunting and the details of her plan to fund our heating bills still pretty obscure. There will be bumpy spells but I think she will survive and quite possibly thrive.
  • Options
    Poland's Prime Minister Mateusz Morawiecki on Germany's slow arms deliveries to Ukraine:

"Berlin's hesitation, its inaction, seriously calls into question the value of the alliance with Germany"

Morawiecki also condemned Germany's slow decision to recognize its mistaken dependence on Russian energy

In his words:

"Ukraine drove the enemy back faster than the Germans were able to make decisions"

https://twitter.com/samramani2/status/1568543363925688321
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,685

Andy_JS said:

The crowd at The Oval was just singing very loudly.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,689
    biggles said:

kle4 said:

I agree you will see the first split. I think our position has been “all territory regained” but I doubt the Germans agree.
    It sounds like the German Gepard flakpanzers have been very useful in the offensive.

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1568585600046858241?t=S2oMrbmvO6dKRLgam46xDg&s=19
  • Options
    Leon said:

Phil said:

Six weeks after PB

You can all thank me later
    Although they also seem to think Liz's Dom is a virulent anti-monarchist and commanded Lizzie to do the Queen in...

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631
    SMOO
    https://mobile.twitter.com/maryilyushina/status/1568603258586894337
    Russian Defense Ministry now acknowledging the retreat, calling it “regrouping.”
    “In order to achieve goals of the special military operation…a decision was made to regroup the Russian troops stationed in Balakliya and Izyum to step up efforts in the Donetsk direction.”
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

The crowd at The Oval was just singing very loudly.
    What a shame we’re not playing the convicts so we could give ‘em a few rounds of God Save YOUR King
  • Options
    England 17-1
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,292
    edited September 2022
    kle4 said:

There's a claim on twitter that Ukraine have retaken Donetsk airport, which was occupied by Russia in 2015. Ukraine have mostly held the pre-Feb 24th frontline between occupied Horlivka and Donetsk City, so there's potential for Ukrainian advances into territory held by Russia for years, before all the territory occupied since February is recovered.

Crimea is a bit different, because it's south of Kherson Oblast, and the routes onto the peninsula are relatively narrow, and so easier to defend.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Still, some decent banter. Or 'banter'.

• Options
    Nigelb said:

SMOO
    Russian Defense Ministry now acknowledging the retreat, calling it “regrouping.”
    “In order to achieve goals of the special military operation…a decision was made to regroup the Russian troops stationed in Balakliya and Izyum to step up efforts in the Donetsk direction.”

So they're heading East?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

SMOO

We have redeployed our soldiers to a more strategic point further west.

US Army spokesman, Lebanese invasion. The redeployment was from their land base to a carrier two miles off shore.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Phil said:

Leon said:

Moreover, Russia’s

Cicero said:

OSInt types are saying that Ukraine has at least another brigade equivalent force they’ve held

back. If it turns out they don’t need it to support the attack in the north & Kherson remains nicely bottled up (no one wants to make an assault on a defended city if they can avoid it) then cutting the Russian front in half looks like an excellent plan.

And if he thinks Putin's defeat is inevitable, then
    will he jump?
    Was thinking that just now. His grip on power looks very tenuous.

One other point. A lot of the Russian internal security types have been lost in the Ukraine. That surely reduces the ability of Putin to crack down on internal dissent.

• Options
    Nigelb said:

SMOO

And this week's Hirohito award goes to...
This discussion has been closed.