Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Blow for Truss in first voting poll as PM – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    IshmaelZ said:

So what regnal name will Prince Charles choose.

I think he’ll choose George.

Charles. This is not a time to be looking posh and weird. Praeter necessitatem.

Just think, all the QCs you know are now KCs.
    Indeed.

King’s Bench Division too.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

I really hope she recovers, but if HMQ were to die in Scotland, that would be "interesting"

Why?
    Special procedures, I think trains are involved.
    There would be something entirely fitting about a funeral cortège moving down the ECML allowing people the length of the country to pay their respects.

Would be a bugger for train schedules, but it would be symbolic.
    Pulled by Flying Scotsman, Mallard or a Deltic. Would be beautiful. Thoughts with HMQ and her family today, feeling very sombre.
    Mallard definitely.
    Definitely not I'm afraid. Mallard is not in running condition. It can be hauled along the tracks, but it can't haul anything.
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,360
    Scott_xP said:

That’s a lot of people standing up and huddling in the newsroom https://twitter.com/juliamacfarlane/status/1567849675566227456/photo/1

Watch for the ties changing.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,948
    Jonathan said:

to be honest Johnson would probably have been better at an imaginative reflection of the Queens life than Truzz will be

He would have blustered, made a few gags, looked scruffy and made it about him. Thank goodness he’s gone.
    He is actually capable of being serious on occasion, he just doesn't do it very often. I recall his Hanukkah
    message a few years back was very solemn, albeit he was also taking a dig at Corbyn if not by name.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

to be honest Johnson would probably have been better at an imaginative reflection of the Queens life than Truzz will be

He was an utterly sleazy piece of shit and it would be octaves, octaves out of his tonal range. Peppa Pig and piccaninnies in the eulogy. I am especially glad that this didn't happen last month during the interregnum.

This will rally people behind Liz btw.
  • Options

There is a body of Telegraph/Mail readers who despise Meghan. One thing they attack her on is that Meghan isn’t her name. Her first name is Rachel: she switched to her middle name, Meghan, because there was already another actor with a similar name. This is, of course, a stupid reason to attack someone, but nonetheless in anti-Meghan circles, they like to go on about it. Anyway, I do wonder how the changing-your-name-proves-you’re-evil crowd will cope with Charles choosing a different regnal name.
    I'd need evidence that this widespread online phenomenon exists first thanks.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,334

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

Clarence House: “Their Royal Highnesses The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall have travelled to Balmoral.”

The Duke of Cambridge is also travelling to Balmoral

That definitely sounds ominous. William wouldn't be going today of all days if it weren't something really serious.
    "Today of all days" - what am I missing?
    Today was his children's first day at their new school.

No parent as conscientious as William is (or likes to be portrayed as, which in this case is a distinction without a difference) would not be there to welcome them back if they could possibly help it.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,882

Scott_xP said:

That’s a lot of people standing up and huddling in the newsroom https://twitter.com/juliamacfarlane/status/1567849675566227456/photo/1

The moment he starts wearing a black tie….
    Black jacket, dark blue tie. Bet the black tie is waiting under the desk...
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,097

There is a body of Telegraph/Mail readers who despise Meghan. One thing they attack her on is that Meghan isn’t her name. Her first name is Rachel: she switched to her middle name, Meghan, because there was already another actor with a similar name. This is, of course, a stupid reason to attack someone, but nonetheless in anti-Meghan circles, they like to go on about it. Anyway, I do wonder how the changing-your-name-proves-you’re-evil crowd will cope with Charles choosing a different regnal name.

They seemed happy enough with Alex (BoZo) and Mary (Truss)
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

He would have blustered, made a few gags, looked scruffy and made it about him. Thank goodness he’s gone.
    Truss and Starmer can at least do dignity, whatever their many faults.

Imagine Johnson and Corbyn.

It could have happened...
  • Options
    biggles said:

Scott_xP said:

They'll surely go off screen before they do that?

That's what I think happened when Prince Philip passed away, they put a royal emblem on the screen and when the image came back it was black ties and immediately announced. So the emblem coming on and silence will be visible before the ties if that happens surely?
  • Options
    Foss said:

IshmaelZ said:

And when will they start changing the post boxes?
    They don’t. You can still see old George VI boxes in some places.

That single Edward VIII one worth a fortune.
  • Options
    OnboardG1OnboardG1 Posts: 1,301

You can’t register with Equity or the SAG with the same name as another member from what I remember.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,761
    Scott_xP said:

They seemed happy enough with Alex (BoZo) and Mary (Truss)
    And James (Brown)
  • Options

How do you know that, out of interest?

Regnal names is fustian pomposity, changing-your-name-cos-your-mum-dies-makes-you-look-a-twat.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,914
    Boss has put the radio on at work.
  • Options
    MISTYMISTY Posts: 1,594

I imagine there will be those who will seek to link these events with the many pejorative comments Meghan has made about the Royal Family in recent months.

• Options
    biggles said:

Scott_xP said:

yes I think she has already left this world and the protocol is being arranged
  • Options

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

I really hope she recovers, but if HMQ were to die in Scotland, that would be "interesting"

Why?
    There would be something entirely fitting about a funeral cortège moving down the ECML allowing people the length of the country to pay their respects.

Pulled by Flying Scotsman, Mallard or a Deltic. Would be beautiful. Thoughts with HMQ and her family today, feeling very sombre.
    Mallard definitely.
    Definitely not I'm afraid. Mallard is not in running condition. It can be hauled along the tracks, but it can't haul anything.
    I'd go with 55022/D9000 Royal Scots Grey. I think it is in running condition.
  • Options

biggles said:

Scott_xP said:

That's what I think happened when Prince Philip passed away, they put a royal emblem on the screen and when the image came back it was black ties and immediately announced. So the emblem coming on and silence will be visible before the ties if that happens surely?
    I was thinking the background. The stuff you can’t hide in that set up.
  • Options

biggles said:

Scott_xP said:

Nah, it'd have leaked to facebook from within the household by now. Like how the bookies are the first to know when a new archbishop is chosen, word gets out.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,389
    edited September 2022

biggles said:

Scott_xP said:

What will be the sombre music they play if they go off air.

Reckoner by Radiohead?
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,735
    IshmaelZ said:

He was an utterly sleazy piece of shit and it would be octaves, octaves out of his tonal range. Peppa Pig and piccaninnies in the eulogy. I am especially glad that this didn't happen last month during the interregnum.

I find these odd words to type, but I think you may be underestimating Johnson. He was and is an utterly sleazy piece of shit, but he could get the tone right for this sort of thing. He’s not like Trump.

• Options
    OnboardG1 said:

My grandmother passed away a few weeks ago and this reminds me of the messages I was getting from family who didn’t want to trouble me with the drive down (which I ignored and wrecked my back in a 6 hour iron bladder run). She was 93 and frail, and just had one thing too many. I really feel for HMQs family. When someone gets to that age they become a fixture.

Sympathies Onboard. This must make this all the harder for you :(
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,250
    Eabhal said:

Boss has put the radio on at work.

Springsteen?
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

How do you know that, out of interest?

Regnal names is fustian pomposity, changing-your-name-cos-your-mum-dies-makes-you-look-a-twat.
    I don't have an issue with it, but it sort of defeats the object of Christening the child with a royal name like Charles or William doesn't it? If a 'Jake' suddenly accedes to the throne, get it changed.
  • Options
    Harry might be best advised to delay that book…
  • Options
    AlistairM said:

If this is the end for The Queen then this picture will be one of the last of her. It would be quite fitting. She looks like your own granny. She is the Nation's mum and then granny. Always looking out for you and with kind words.

Yep, thats a pretty lovely picture actually.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,060
    edited September 2022

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

Why?

Mallard definitely.
    Is 'Princess Elizabeth' available? It was named after her, and is mainline certified.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LMS_Princess_Royal_Class_6201_Princess_Elizabeth

Oh, and the look magnificent.

But it has to be a loco that is immediately available on her death. We'll probably get a 68 or 60 ... :(
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,946

biggles said:

Scott_xP said:

They just said she’s been ordered to rest . Surely it would have leaked by now .
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,310
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Of all the times for it to happen

This autumn of all autumns

Bleak

Can you please not keep saying Bleak.
    It’s more accurate than your ludicrous

“Look at her, she’s practically dancing, she’ll go on for another 20 years” - just yesterday

Has it ever occurred to you that your famed abilities of insight and foresight - famed by you if no one else - are a complete fiction? You get so much so wrong

You stared at Truss when was wearing that necklace and dress and you saw Nothing
    I spy a person whose instinctive reaction to the news of Her Majesty The Queen falling gravely ill is to score points on PB.com.

Bleak.
  • Options

Which I don't understand at all. Surely his name is Charles? The previous two were ok, apart from a tiny civil war for one and a lot of shagging and cavorting for the other.
    Yes, but Coronation is one of those odd events where God lets you choose a new name. Popes get to do the same.
  • Options

Foss said:

IshmaelZ said:

There is a market for Nazi memorabilia.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,283
    edited September 2022

He would have humiliated the Queen and the nation. HMQ knows that too.
  • Options
    AlistairM said:

If this is the end for The Queen then this picture will be one of the last of her. It would be quite fitting. She looks like your own granny. She is the Nation's mum and then granny. Always looking out for you and with kind words.

Damn, she looks so much like my Gran who passed away in 2014 at 93.

Indeed my Mum just phoned me and said exactly the same thing.
  • Options
    edited September 2022

IshmaelZ said:

I find these odd words to type, but I think you may be underestimating Johnson. He was and is an utterly sleazy piece of shit, but he could get the tone right for this sort of thing. He’s not like Trump.
    Agree. He’d have done well (at this).

With Truss watch for a telegenic, pre-planned, tear.

• Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 7,073
    Duke of York going to Balmoral too
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,973
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

Clarence House: “Their Royal Highnesses The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall have travelled to Balmoral.”

That definitely sounds ominous. William wouldn't be going today of all days if it weren't something really serious.

No parent as conscientious as William is (or likes to be portrayed as, which in this case is a distinction without a difference) would not be there to welcome them back if they could possibly help it.
    It’s a tricky one as sometimes there are “false ends” (rather than false starts). I was summoned to hospital twice in the week leading up to my father’s death to say goodbye on the doctors’ advice. Was two grim trips that were jumping the gun but you do it anyway.

• Options
    There were very specific reasons why Edward VII and George VI didn't use their birth names as regnal names. There's no such reason for Charles to change.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

biggles said:

Scott_xP said:

They just said she’s been ordered to rest . Surely it would have leaked by now .
    It kind of has leaked, hasn't it?

Nobody will say anything until its official.

Protocols will be followed to the last.
  • Options

They've been OK with Alexander calling himself Boris, and Mary calling herself Liz.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,097

The tone, perhaps, but he would still look like a fucking clown at a funeral.

It is a blessing he is gone.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,389
    I think part of the shock will have been dissipated somewhat with Prince Philip's death. The sense of immortality and foreverness was punctured when he died and that will in a way inure people to HMQ dying.
  • Options
    edited September 2022

Which I don't understand at all. Surely his name is Charles? The previous two were ok, apart from a tiny civil war for one and a lot of shagging and cavorting for the other.
    Yes, but Coronation is one of those odd events where God lets you choose a new name. Popes get to do the same.
    Perhaps he can be “King Dave” or “King Steve”? Capture the zeitgeist.
  • Options
    With any lucky we can save up these comments and paste them back in years from now instead. Time saving.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,425
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Bleak

“Look at her, she’s practically dancing, she’ll go on for another 20 years” - just yesterday

Has it ever occurred to you that your famed abilities of insight and foresight - famed by you if no one else - are a complete fiction? You get so much so wrong

You stared at Truss when was wearing that necklace and dress and you saw Nothing
    I spy a person whose instinctive reaction to the news of Her Majesty The Queen falling gravely ill is to score points on PB.com.

Bleak.
    You just did exactly that. Twat
  • Options

It is often the case that people at the end of their lives can hold on for something important. Getting the change of PM could have been that event, and her work is done and she can let go.

• Options
    nico679 said:

biggles said:

Scott_xP said:

Nobody would know, thers is a very strict protocol for annoucing the news. Even her own household will not be aware until they are ready to announce
  • Options
    It's funny because it's (sort of) true.

• Options
    Scott_xP said:

I'd imagine he'll be at the funeral. And I am sure he'll look fine.
  • Options
    biggles said:

David II of Scots spent much of his reign in prison and the rest of it being generally a bit rubbish. Stephen of England's reign was such a disaster between civil war and innumerable rebellions it's usually called 'the Anarchy.'

Neither would be a good omen!
  • Options
    MISTY said:

I imagine there will be those who will seek to link these events with the many pejorative comments Meghan has made about the Royal Family in recent months.

Oh sure, the disproportionate and ostentatious grieving will no doubt be coupled with a lot of snide attacks on the usual subjects.

The point of Monarchy is continuity. The Queen is (nearly) dead, long live the King. Then back to work.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

I suspect the Palace would not make an announcement until William is there, the official 'end' will require the family to be with her.
    Wasn't there talk that her predecessor's end was hastened to fall at a more convenient time for the evening radio? Much easier to quicken than to delay, of course.
  • Options
    boulay said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

It’s a tricky one as sometimes there are “false ends” (rather than false starts). I was summoned to hospital twice in the week leading up to my father’s death to say goodbye on the doctors’ advice. Was two grim trips that were jumping the gun but you do it anyway.

Yes my wife’s grandma had three or four of them over about five years in her nineties. Became a family joke.

• Options
    biggles said:

The most popular boys name for years has been Oliver for some reason (I know none).

King Oliver II (essentially).
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,882
    Leon said:

I’m going on my hike out of RESPECT for HER MAJ

Keep calm and carry on (hiking)
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited September 2022

Leon said:

Prediction: people who expect to feel nothing, or very little - the young, republicans, mad bitter Remainers - will find themselves unexpectedly moved. Even shaken

At the same time people who will expect to be sad or griefstruck might feel less than they anticipated

But I expect the first group to outnumber the second

Don't try to divide the country on a day like today. I am a mad bitter Remainer but also a mild monarchist and am already close to tears, as I knew I would be. She has been a constant in all our lives, a symbol of national unity and an inspiring public servant. Her death, if it does indeed come very soon, will be a huge and emotional event for almost everyone in this country.
    I'm also a remainer mild-monarchist and I entirely agree, She has made a huge contribution to national life and it feels a very sad kind of day.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,735
    OnboardG1 said:

You can’t register with Equity or the SAG with the same name as another member from what I remember.
    Indeed. I am unable to find details - apologies. I found one source saying she was known as Meghan when still a child, so it may not have been that. I am going entirely on second-hand reports from a friend who is obsessed with Meghan conspiracy theories. (She doesn’t believe them. She’s obsessed with the fact that people believe them. (Meghan conspiracy theories, a run-down: she was never pregnant, they used a surrogate; the children don’t really exist, they use actors; the children don’t really exist, they’re robots.))
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,276
    I hope the media circus doesn’t dwell on whatever the problems are with Harry and William’s relationship or view this through that lens.

It would be nice for clickbait to be put on the back burner for this time.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

All living ex PMs will be at the funeral no doubt.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,927
    All four of HMQ’s children are on the way, as well as WIlliam. Not good.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,902
    Foxy said:

MISTY said:

Oh sure, the disproportionate and ostentatious grieving will no doubt be coupled with a lot of snide attacks on the usual subjects.

The point of Monarchy is continuity. The Queen is (nearly) dead, long live the King. Then back to work.
    True to a point. The problem is that this monarch was special. A good one. That’s not always the case in the genetic Lottery of the hereditary system.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Leon said:

Don’t do that. Order a Dubonnet. It’s what she would want.
  • Options

Duke of York going to Balmoral too

Charles in talks with SpaceX about establishing a platform high enough to shit on him from in a week or so's time. Silver lining.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

yes all 6 of them - never been as many living exs?
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,022
    The inevitable Australian Republic referendum will be a fine betting opportunity.
  • Options

OnboardG1 said:

My grandmother passed away a few weeks ago and this reminds me of the messages I was getting from family who didn’t want to trouble me with the drive down (which I ignored and wrecked my back in a 6 hour iron bladder run). She was 93 and frail, and just had one thing too many. I really feel for HMQs family. When someone gets to that age they become a fixture.

Sympathies Onboard. This must make this all the harder for you :(
    Surprisingly, it makes it a bit easier. It happens to hundreds of families up and down the country, even the most powerful in the land. It’s one of the reasons I can never quite shake my affection for the monarchy, no matter how various family members blot the institution. The family that, de jure, command the allegiance of the nation and have final refusal on any decision in the country are going through the same thing as I am, only while I can privately chat with my Mum and Dad about all the fun photos and what music to play at the funeral they have to do it in the glare of the public eye. It’s a very public reminder that you are not alone as it were.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

biggles said:

David II of Scots spent much of his reign in prison and the rest of it being generally a bit rubbish. Stephen of England's reign was such a disaster between civil war and innumerable rebellions it's usually called 'the Anarchy.'

Neither would be a good omen!
    On the other hand, David would allow for the settling of the rule about regnal numbers, since wiki says the rule now is to add on from the predecessor states - that's why it's Liz II and not Liz I, so it should be David III, not David I.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,276
    biggles said:

King Nigel I would be interesting and a break with tradition.
  • Options
    FossFoss Posts: 694
    The Voice of the chap on BBC seems to be wobbling.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Delay and do it for the coronation of King Charles the Third like Edmund Hilary climbed Everest
  • Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004
    They're all on their way to Balmoral, unfortunately.

BREAKING: The Princess Royal is at Balmoral, and the Duke of York and the Earl and Countess of Wessex are on their way to the Queen’s Scottish home, sources said.
    https://twitter.com/TalkTV/status/1567855048889188356
  • Options
    I don't know if there is a God, but I have just offered up a small silent prayer...

... that Leon's walk takes him out of signal for a bit.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

Plus I suspect Heads of State and ex-Heads of State from all over the world will actually come. It’s going to be a funeral not just for her, but for the 20th century.
  • Options
    How many Bank Holidays will we get off?

I was working on a checkout at the local Iceland when Diana was buried. Be nice to have a day off for this one.

• Options

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

Why?

Mallard definitely.
    Is 'Princess Elizabeth' available? It was named after her, and is mainline certified.

But it has to be a loco that is immediately available on her death. We'll probably get a 68 or 60 ... :(
    Agree she looks magnificent, but I'm afraid she is also out of service after a crack was discovered around the throatplate area of the firebox.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,221

It is often the case that people at the end of their lives can hold on for something important. Getting the change of PM could have been that event, and her work is done and she can let go.

My mother-in-law had motor neurone disease, diagnosed just before I became pregnant with our third. She knew and survived long enough to see him. My husband brought him in to the hospital so that she could see him even though by then she had been on a ventilator for months and could not speak. 2 hours later, just after we got home from the hospital she died.

It meant a great deal to my husband that he was able to show her her last grandchild.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

biggles said:

The most popular boys name for years has been Oliver for some reason (I know none).

We already have had a King Steve . Perhaps there is a reason why there is not a second though !
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,289

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

Why?

Mallard definitely.

Clan Line or Duchess of Sutherland might be available to haul a funeral train.
  • Options
    If HMQ does pass on, Truss is going to have to channel Blair’s Diana moment but on steroids. I do not envy her.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,310
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Bleak

Bleak.
    You just did exactly that. Twat
    You're not quite striking the right tone - could it be time to hike off?
  • Options
    I have a nasty feeling the death of HMQ is going to be for me a proxy grief for Mum because covid robbed me and the family of the chance to properly grieve for her or say the right sort of goodbye.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

biggles said:

Scott_xP said:

What will be the sombre music they play if they go off air.

Reckoner by Radiohead?
    “If you ever hear Haunted Dancehall (Nursery Remix) by Sabres of Paradise on daytime Radio 1, turn the TV on,” wrote Chris Price, a BBC radio producer, for the Huffington Post in 2011. “Something terrible has just happened.”

from that guardian piece.
  • Options

Foss said:

IshmaelZ said:

This one?

• Options
    Scott_xP said:

Remember his comedy turn with the umbrella at a memorial service.

What an idiot.
  • Options

kle4 said:

biggles said:

We already have had a King Steve . Perhaps there is a reason why there is not a second though !
    Doesn't he always top the 'Britain's worst ever monarch' list?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,785
    edited September 2022
    The Princess Royal is at Balmoral, and the Duke of York and the Earl and Countess of Wessex are on their way to the Queen’s Scottish home, reports PA

https://twitter.com/BethRigby/status/1567856087327543298
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,425

Leon said:

Prediction: people who expect to feel nothing, or very little - the young, republicans, mad bitter Remainers - will find themselves unexpectedly moved. Even shaken

At the same time people who will expect to be sad or griefstruck might feel less than they anticipated

But I expect the first group to outnumber the second

Don't try to divide the country on a day like today. I am a mad bitter Remainer but also a mild monarchist and am already close to tears, as I knew I would be. She has been a constant in all our lives, a symbol of national unity and an inspiring public servant. Her death, if it does indeed come very soon, will be a huge and emotional event for almost everyone in this country.
    Oh give over. That was me teasing

We’re meant to keep calm and carry on aren’t we? Isn’t that the British way? So PBers should carry on faintly mocking each other, just as I am carrying on with my stupidly timed midday hike in the sun

Many if not most of us will feel sadness. But that won’t stop me taunting you. Nor you me, I hope

• Options
    biggles said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

Plus I suspect Heads of State and ex-Heads of State from all over the world will actually come. It’s going to be a funeral not just for her, but for the 20th century.
    yes the Commonwealth was always close to her heart. A pity the likes of Tom Daley nearly caused a scene at the opening ceremony with his showboating
  • Options

kle4 said:

biggles said:

How about a suggestion for King Kenny ?
This discussion has been closed.