Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Blow for Truss in first voting poll as PM – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    OnboardG1OnboardG1 Posts: 1,301
    dr_spyn said:

dr_spyn said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

I really hope she recovers, but if HMQ were to die in Scotland, that would be "interesting"

Why?
    Special procedures, I think trains are involved.
    There would be something entirely fitting about a funeral cortège moving down the ECML allowing people the length of the country to pay their respects.

Would be a bugger for train schedules, but it would be symbolic.
    Pulled by Flying Scotsman, Mallard or a Deltic. Would be beautiful. Thoughts with HMQ and her family today, feeling very sombre.
    Mallard definitely.
    Definitely not I'm afraid. Mallard is not in running condition. It can be hauled along the tracks, but it can't haul anything.
    Is 'Princess Elizabeth' available? It was named after her, and is mainline certified.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LMS_Princess_Royal_Class_6201_Princess_Elizabeth

Oh, and the look magnificent.

But it has to be a loco that is immediately available on her death. We'll probably get a 68 or 60 ... :(
    Clan Line or Duchess of Sutherland might be available to haul a funeral train.
    It seems an odd thing to be discussing, but please let it be the Duchess of Sutherland. A magnificent loco, and the most powerful class of steam locos ever to run in Britain. If only it was streamlined, as Duchess of Hamilton looks spectacular.

And thanks to the poster below for info. on Princess Elizabeth.
    2 x Stanier Black 5 locomotives would also do the job.
    I’m going to be extremely annoying and advocate for an HST. All these steam locos are wonderful machines, but the HST is the railway symbol of the new Elizabethan Age.
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261

ping said:

Harry and Meghan travelling to Balmoral.

That's good. I am not a fan of Harry but it would be hateful for him to miss farewells with his grandma because of petty family politicking.
    And the perfect time for the family to come together and put their differences behind them
    Hopefully, until the next Meghan interview anyway.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

dr_spyn said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

I really hope she recovers, but if HMQ were to die in Scotland, that would be "interesting"

Why?
    There would be something entirely fitting about a funeral cortège moving down the ECML allowing people the length of the country to pay their respects.

Pulled by Flying Scotsman, Mallard or a Deltic. Would be beautiful. Thoughts with HMQ and her family today, feeling very sombre.
    Mallard definitely.
    Definitely not I'm afraid. Mallard is not in running condition. It can be hauled along the tracks, but it can't haul anything.
    Is 'Princess Elizabeth' available? It was named after her, and is mainline certified.

But it has to be a loco that is immediately available on her death. We'll probably get a 68 or 60 ... :(
    It seems an odd thing to be discussing, but please let it be the Duchess of Sutherland. A magnificent loco, and the most powerful class of steam locos ever to run in Britain. .
    And possibly the best Hornby train set of all time.

Horby Dublo or modern Hornby? The original one was cast metal not plastic, as I recall from the 1960s.

More seriously, using a Deltic or a steam loco to hand would certainly avoid any concerns about wire damage - a regular, though not common, issue on the ECML.
    I am going to lobby for a Deltic given they were introduced early in her reign. A steam loco is too retro. Royal Scots Grey I think has the most appropriate name and as D9000 was the first numbered member of the fleet of 22. It has been under repair but I think is now available.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,856

Huw's wearing a black tie.

Too early to be wearing one in my opinion.
  • Options

OnboardG1 said:

If HMQ does pass on, Truss is going to have to channel Blair’s Diana moment but on steroids. I do not envy her.

Way bigger moment than Diana.

She will have an opportunity to express the nation's gratitude. If she gets the tone just right, a very big moment in the making of Liz Truss.
    Bigger formally, but perhaps smaller too as far less of a shock.

Diana was out of left-field and something nobody had expected. London Bridge is inevitable.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    edited September 2022

If this is the day, then weirdly impressive that she held on just long enough to carry out the hand over for Truss.

I'm sort of imagining the Queen would go on as some sort of Hari Seldon (from the Foundation) type figures - having recorded speeches for all the things foreseen to come in the future, reassuring the British people at all kind of future events both domestic and global. It's that sort of day.

She was hanging around to see the back of Boris.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,887

NEW: Harry and Meghan, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex are travelling to Balmoral Castle. They were supposed to be doing a charity event in London this evening.

https://twitter.com/chrisshipitv/status/1567858932164579328

Will they have the Netflix crew with them?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,061
    edited September 2022
    Carnyx said:

dr_spyn said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

Why?

Mallard definitely.

It seems an odd thing to be discussing, but please let it be the Duchess of Sutherland. A magnificent loco, and the most powerful class of steam locos ever to run in Britain. .

Horby Dublo or modern Hornby? The original one was cast metal not plastic, as I recall from the 1960s.

More seriously, using a Deltic or a steam loco to hand would certainly avoid any concerns about wire damage - a regular, though not common, issue on the ECML.
    The problems of coaling and watering most large steam locos for the Edinburgh to London run means that there would have to be two or three stops on the way - and that means they probably won't do it. But if they do, there will be a diesel backup as well.

I'd expect it to be two large diesels for redundancy.

But what carriage would they use?

Edit: BTW, I don't meant o make light of this situation. I'm a bit upset already, and best wishes to HMQ and her family.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,432

IshmaelZ said:

OnboardG1 said:

We always say in politics events and this will be huge and Truss's Blair moment

The news will be dominated for weeks to come with both the funeral and coronation being World events

The only good news is it is Truss and not Johnson

What would have happened if the Queen had died on Monday or Tuesday, with the new PM needing to be seen? Is there a protocol? Would Johnson have continued for a while, or would Prince Charles have done it?
    I believe Charlie takes over her responsibilities from the moment of death but I’d not take that as Gospel.
    Charles is King instantaneously
    Indeed, although we should note that this is a legal fiction as no information can actually travel faster than the speed of light.
    M
    Quantum interaction

• Options
    MISTYMISTY Posts: 1,594

The Queen has got on with Meghan better than almost all the rest of the family combined, and always was relatively unfussed by the whole conflict and nonsensical tribalism on both sides about it, and social media wars. Good to see that she's there - it seems very likely the Queen has asked for that.

Do you actually have any evidence for that?

Ms Markle has levelled some pretty unsavoury stuff at the Royal Family, knowing they are limited in the way they can respond.

• Options
    Andy_JS said:

Unless she has already died - and the Beeb don't know exactly when the official announcement will come.

Sombre music - as off-screen, Huw manically changes his gear for the occasion.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

IshmaelZ said:

OnboardG1 said:

The news will be dominated for weeks to come with both the funeral and coronation being World events

What would have happened if the Queen had died on Monday or Tuesday, with the new PM needing to be seen? Is there a protocol? Would Johnson have continued for a while, or would Prince Charles have done it?
    I believe Charlie takes over her responsibilities from the moment of death but I’d not take that as Gospel.
    Indeed, although we should note that this is a legal fiction as no information can actually travel faster than the speed of light.
    I read a brilliant explanation the other day as to how quantum entanglement can convey information instantaneously, but also how it isn't very interesting information: take a pair of gloves, put them into 2 identical bags, randomly pick a bag, drive 50 miles. Open your bag. You now know instantaneously (faster than light) the chirality of the 50 mile away glove.
  • Options
    Glancing up at the TV screen, it takes a moment to determine whether is says "Health" or "Death".
  • Options
    There will be three days of official mourning when she does die. Everything will close down for those three days. (Not sure about food shops.) We had to consider "London Bridge" insurance for the Dart Music Festival. If she had died during it, we had to pull the plug.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Unless she has already died - and the Beeb don't know exactly when the official announcement will come.

My guess it is imminent and teh doctors are frantically keeping the plates spinning until all the family are there.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,856
    Sandpit said:

Foss said:

The BBC don't seem to be cutting back to the studio.

I’m watching GB News - it’s the only UK news channel on Youtube - and they’ve not had a studio shot for more than an hour now. Perhaps they’re re-arranging it. Lots of croaky voices and the occasional slip into the past tense from guests.
    Sky News is available on YouTube here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Auq9mYxFEE
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,888
    edited September 2022

Carnyx said:

dr_spyn said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

Why?

Mallard definitely.

The problems of coaling and watering most large steam locos for the Edinburgh to London run means that there would have to be two or three stops on the way - and that means they probably won't do it. But if they do, there will be a diesel backup as well.

I'd expect it to be two large diesels for redundancy.

But what carriage would they use?

Edit: BTW, I don't meant o make light of this situation. I'm a bit upset already, and best wishes to HMQ and her family.
    The Royal Train still exists, but if that does not have a suitable vehicle they could whip out the seats from a modern coach anyway (especially if they have had some warning). They would need to install curtains, though.

It's possible a quick respray of a closed van would be used. Edit: Or vinyl over the windows of a coach anyway.

• Options

OnboardG1 said:

If HMQ does pass on, Truss is going to have to channel Blair’s Diana moment but on steroids. I do not envy her.

She will have an opportunity to express the nation's gratitude. If she gets the tone just right, a very big moment in the making of Liz Truss.

Diana was out of left-field and something nobody had expected. London Bridge is inevitable.
    Agreed. More important, but less shocking.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

My guess it is imminent and teh doctors are frantically keeping the plates spinning until all the family are there.
    Even if it has happened, they'll not announce it until all the family are there.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 7,084
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

OnboardG1 said:

I read a brilliant explanation the other day as to how quantum entanglement can convey information instantaneously, but also how it isn't very interesting information: take a pair of gloves, put them into 2 identical bags, randomly pick a bag, drive 50 miles. Open your bag. You now know instantaneously (faster than light) the chirality of the 50 mile away glove.
    The information transmission in your brain is not instantaneous.
  • Options

OnboardG1 said:

Is it London Bridge if she dies in Scotland - thought it was something else then?
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited September 2022
    MISTY said:

The Queen has got on with Meghan better than almost all the rest of the family combined, and always was relatively unfussed by the whole conflict and nonsensical tribalism on both sides about it, and social media wars. Good to see that she's there - it seems very likely the Queen has asked for that.

Ms Markle has levelled some pretty unsavoury stuff at the Royal Family, knowing they are limited in the way they can respond.

But not at the Queen herself - quite the opposite in fact, describing her as looking out for her with kindness when she first appeared - and thus they themselves got on well from the start. Hence the Queen's own response to the whole conflict has always been very measured and not too involved.
  • Options

There will be three days of official mourning when she does die. Everything will close down for those three days. (Not sure about food shops.) We had to consider "London Bridge" insurance for the Dart Music Festival. If she had died during it, we had to pull the plug.

Well, “the queen passed away” is a better reason to miss the Duxford air show again than “I had covid and didn’t feel better in time”.
  • Options
    MISTYMISTY Posts: 1,594
    GIN1138 said:

NEW: Harry and Meghan, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex are travelling to Balmoral Castle. They were supposed to be doing a charity event in London this evening.

https://twitter.com/chrisshipitv/status/1567858932164579328

Will they have the Netflix crew with them?

Oprah may be called upon to record Meghan's intensely private grief to the waiting millions.
  • Options
    OnboardG1 said:

dr_spyn said:

dr_spyn said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

Why?

Mallard definitely.

It seems an odd thing to be discussing, but please let it be the Duchess of Sutherland. A magnificent loco, and the most powerful class of steam locos ever to run in Britain. If only it was streamlined, as Duchess of Hamilton looks spectacular.

I’m going to be extremely annoying and advocate for an HST. All these steam locos are wonderful machines, but the HST is the railway symbol of the new Elizabethan Age.
    That's actually a good shout. I think it would be very fitting, and operationally much easier.
  • Options
    edited September 2022

OnboardG1 said:

Is it London Bridge if she dies in Scotland - thought it was something else then?
    Unicorn. (One of the Supporters of HM's Coat of Arms north of the border.)

Wiki:

Operation Unicorn

Operation Unicorn is a plan that outlines what would happen if the Queen dies in Scotland. Details about Operation Unicorn were first reported to the public in 2019, although mention of the codename was first made in the Scottish Parliament's online papers in 2017.[9][10]

Once the death has been made public, Holyrood Palace, St Giles' Cathedral, and the Scottish Parliament will serve as the focal point of gatherings, with a condolence book open to the public set up at the latter location. Parliamentary business will be suspended immediately for at least six parliamentary days, in order to allow authorities to prepare for the funeral.[10] The parliament will then prepare a motion of condolence within 72 hours of reconvening.[9] The Queen's coffin will first lie in repose at Holyrood Palace, followed by a service of reception at St Giles' Cathedral in Edinburgh. Following this, the coffin would then be transported to Waverley Station and then taken by the Royal Train to London if possible.[10][16] Otherwise the coffin would be taken by plane to London and welcomed by the prime minister and cabinet ministers.[3]
  • Options

What happens with schools etc?

It won't be announced until after the close today, but if its announced tonight would schools be closed tomorrow or open?
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261

MISTY said:

But not at the Queen herself - quite the opposite in fact, describing her as looking out for her with kindness when she first appeared - and they got on well from the start. Hence the Queen's response herself has always been very measured.
    Just a shame that level of kindness was not reciprocated.
  • Options

It won't be announced until after the close today, but if its announced tonight would schools be closed tomorrow or open?
    It wont be announced outside normal waking hours, if she dies late tonight no announcement would be made until tomorrow morning
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,611
    Just back to the energy stuff, the sentiment is good but I think the target of becoming a net exporter of energy by 2040 is nowhere near ambitious enough. We should be aiming to do that by 2030 and by 2040 having a huge domestic energy surplus so our industries benefit from low prices and clean energy generation.
  • Options

OnboardG1 said:

dr_spyn said:

dr_spyn said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

Why?

Mallard definitely.

That's actually a good shout. I think it would be very fitting, and operationally much easier.
    I'd be okay with an HST but I'd dispute that they are the railway symbol of the new Elizabethan age, as they weren't introduced until after her silver jubilee! A first generation diesel like a Deltic would be more fitting IMHO.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,596

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

OnboardG1 said:

The information transmission in your brain is not instantaneous.
    No you don't; you don't know its position or even whether it has been destroyed or altered meanwhile.

• Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,791
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

OnboardG1 said:

Or not: https://medium.com/starts-with-a-bang/no-we-still-cant-use-quantum-entanglement-to-communicate-faster-than-light-e0fef68bc806
  • Options

OnboardG1 said:

dr_spyn said:

dr_spyn said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

Why?

Mallard definitely.

Is Highland Chieftain still knocking about? That would seem the appropriate choice.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,842
    BBC Music Radio 'keeping an eye' (R2), but no sign of normality being wound down.
  • Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004
    Carnyx said:

OnboardG1 said:

Wiki:

Operation Unicorn

Operation Unicorn is a plan that outlines what would happen if the Queen dies in Scotland. Details about Operation Unicorn were first reported to the public in 2019, although mention of the codename was first made in the Scottish Parliament's online papers in 2017.[9][10]

Once the death has been made public, Holyrood Palace, St Giles' Cathedral, and the Scottish Parliament will serve as the focal point of gatherings, with a condolence book open to the public set up at the latter location. Parliamentary business will be suspended immediately for at least six parliamentary days, in order to allow authorities to prepare for the funeral.[10] The parliament will then prepare a motion of condolence within 72 hours of reconvening.[9] The Queen's coffin will first lie in repose at Holyrood Palace, followed by a service of reception at St Giles' Cathedral in Edinburgh. Following this, the coffin would then be transported to Waverley Station and then taken by the Royal Train to London if possible.[10][16] Otherwise the coffin would be taken by plane to London and welcomed by the prime minister and cabinet ministers.[3]
    The Queen doing her bit for the Union until the very end.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,782

Think I remember reading somewhere that the ECB have insurance for if it happens during a Test Match (which started today).
  • Options

It wont be announced outside normal waking hours, if she dies late tonight no announcement would be made until tomorrow morning
    I was kind of thinking they would announce it outside business hours but during waking hours. So eg about 10pm.

But all the more, if its announced at say 7am or 8am tomorrow morning, are schools open as normal tomorrow or closed? Its not something that we've ever discussed so I have no idea, it would cause a lot of disruption if stuff were suddenly shut without notice.
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,370

IshmaelZ said:

OnboardG1 said:

Quantum entanglement. Yes it can.
    Ah, a classic PB side debate. No, that’s not proven, and a lot of people are theorising around how it need not mean the exchange of information and break that rule.

• Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,221
    jonny83 said:

MISTY said:

But not at the Queen herself - quite the opposite in fact, describing her as looking out for her with kindness when she first appeared - and they got on well from the start. Hence the Queen's response herself has always been very measured.
    I hope for Harry's sake he gets to see her. He was invited to Balmoral this summer but declined, reportedly. If he arrives after the end, he will regret this I think. Meghan is completely unimportant at this time.

There are other grandchildren whom the Queen has known and loved for far longer who will be sad at such a time. Let alone the great-grandchildren.
  • Options
    CatMan said:

Think I remember reading somewhere that the ECB have insurance for if it happens during a Test Match (which started today).
    Another strange reason for abandoning a test along with Dangerous Pitch (Sabina Park) and that one where it got flooded?
  • Options
    Just seen the news.

Blimey. This is it isn't it?
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,141
    Barriers are being put up outside Balmoral.
  • Options
    AlistairM said:

Carnyx said:

OnboardG1 said:

Wiki:

Operation Unicorn

Actually, Queen V established the primacy of the (then Established) Church of Scotland north of the border for anything she did - she went to kirk with the C of S, not (as some might expect) the Episcopalian Church. The Royals have followed that ever since, e.g. as seen in going to Crathie kirk while at Balmoral, not the local Pisky one, even though the C of S disestablished a century ago. This, to some extent, is simply the continuance of that tradition (note that what is misnamed here St Giles' Cathedral has not been one since 1690, but simply the High Kirk of St Giles).
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

jonny83 said:

MISTY said:

I hope for Harry's sake he gets to see her. He was invited to Balmoral this summer but declined, reportedly. If he arrives after the end, he will regret this I think. Meghan is completely unimportant at this time.

There are other grandchildren whom the Queen has known and loved for far longer who will be sad at such a time. Let alone the great-grandchildren.
    12 great-grandchildren!
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Sandpit said:

Foss said:

I’m watching GB News - it’s the only UK news channel on Youtube - and they’ve not had a studio shot for more than an hour now. Perhaps they’re re-arranging it. Lots of croaky voices and the occasional slip into the past tense from guests.

BBC too apparently at the moment.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmHYxJH2dSw
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Just back to the energy stuff, the sentiment is good but I think the target of becoming a net exporter of energy by 2040 is nowhere near ambitious enough. We should be aiming to do that by 2030 and by 2040 having a huge domestic energy surplus so our industries benefit from low prices and clean energy generation.

That would require her to build the onshore wind and solar that she doesn’t like instead of chasing the fracking canard (still no mention of the BGS report).
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

OnboardG1 said:

Or not: https://medium.com/starts-with-a-bang/no-we-still-cant-use-quantum-entanglement-to-communicate-faster-than-light-e0fef68bc806
    But that is saying the same thing, that you can't dictate to your glove whether it is L or R so as to change the distant one
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,500
    edited September 2022

Just seen the news.

I think it is. The speed at which politicians have reacted to this and the way things are being phrased suggests to me there has been some news through official channels which essentially is letting them know to prepare themselves.

The BBC are also not holding back on the level of concern.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Sandpit said:

Foss said:

BBC too apparently at the moment.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmHYxJH2dSw
    https://www.youtube.com/c/BBCNews
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

OnboardG1 said:

But that is saying the same thing, that you can't dictate to your glove whether it is L or R so as to change the distant one
    Sorry, I missed the point you were making. Indeed, that article supports your glove analogy.

• Options
    Carnyx said:

AlistairM said:

Carnyx said:

OnboardG1 said:

Wiki:

Operation Unicorn

Actually, Queen V established the primacy of the (then Established) Church of Scotland north of the border for anything she did - she went to kirk with the C of S, not (as some might expect) the Episcopalian Church. The Royals have followed that ever since, e.g. as seen in going to Crathie kirk while at Balmoral, not the local Pisky one, even though the C of S disestablished a century ago. This, to some extent, is simply the continuance of that tradition (note that what is misnamed here St Giles' Cathedral has not been one since 1690, but simply the High Kirk of St Giles).
    It’s a good compromise to prevent the wifies of Auld Reekie pitching chairs at your head.
  • Options
    edited September 2022

I was kind of thinking they would announce it outside business hours but during waking hours. So eg about 10pm.

But all the more, if its announced at say 7am or 8am tomorrow morning, are schools open as normal tomorrow or closed? Its not something that we've ever discussed so I have no idea, it would cause a lot of disruption if stuff were suddenly shut without notice.
    Things arent shut. I dont know that there are 3 days of closure. There are 3 days lying in State
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited September 2022
    Cyclefree said:

jonny83 said:

MISTY said:

I don't personally agree that she's completely unimportant, although it's not a day for conflicts about it. Whatever her own responsibility - and she has a fair bit - the cultural polarisation between her own and Harry's supporters and those of the rest of the family has been entirely toxic, egged on by the media too from the other side, and also damaging for national and cultural cohesion.

The fact that the Queen herself has been both personally and institutionally above this, always producing the most measured statements on the conflict when the Right wanted fire, again evidenced by Meghan's apparent presence today, I would say is actually extremely importan ; and also typical of the consensual and thoughtful way she's continually carried out her role for 70 years.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,501

Just seen the news.

It is, sadly.

Pretty certain she's already gone.

The prospect of the Prince of Wales becoming king is no longer a hypothetical.
  • Options

Just seen the news.

I think it is. The speed at which politicians have reacted to this and the way things are being phrased suggests to me there has been some news through official channels which essentially is letting them know to prepare themselves.

We knew my grandmother was a palliative case a couple of days before she died. The team was superb and I was able to see her before she went. Nothing but respect for the PCTs. I suspect the Royal Family have had the same news.
  • Options

CatMan said:

Another strange reason for abandoning a test along with Dangerous Pitch (Sabina Park) and that one where it got flooded?
    Wait, hang on, I have tickets for Sunday!
  • Options
    I think that when the Queen dies everyone should stand or sit completely still - for five weeks. You just have to act like you’re totally frozen with grief because anything else would be disrespectful. Even tho this will mean all people pooing all poo everywhere
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,266
    IshmaelZ said:

OnboardG1 said:

Faster than light travel, like quantum entangled particles.
  • Options
    FossFoss Posts: 694
    edited September 2022
    Who's the chap next to the left of Milliband in the House? He looks like he's going to throw up.
  • Options
    Leon said:

I think that when the Queen dies everyone should stand or sit completely still - for five weeks. You just have to act like you’re totally frozen with grief because anything else would be disrespectful. Even tho this will mean all people pooing all poo everywhere

…what the actual fuck?
  • Options

OnboardG1 said:

dr_spyn said:

dr_spyn said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

Why?

Mallard definitely.

I'd be okay with an HST but I'd dispute that they are the railway symbol of the new Elizabethan age, as they weren't introduced until after her silver jubilee! A first generation diesel like a Deltic would be more fitting IMHO.
    Deltics were a failure though. They lasted twenty years. They were a dead-end piece of tech.

HSTs have lasted (so far) 45-odd. Well over half her reign. They were also typically British - an afterthought, a compromise, that turned out to be far more successful than the 'better' thing they were playing second-fiddle to. I think one also still holds the world speed record for diesels?
  • Options

OnboardG1 said:

dr_spyn said:

dr_spyn said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

Why?

Mallard definitely.

Deltics were a failure though. They lasted twenty years. They were a dead-end piece of tech.

HSTs have lasted (so far) 45-odd. Well over half her reign. They were also typically British - an afterthought, a compromise, that turned out to be far more successful than the 'better' thing they were playing second-fiddle to. I think one also still holds the world speed record for diesels?
    Yep, was very pleased to find one to ride in from Castle Cary to Padders 3 years back! In terms of comfort they are much superior to the modern DfT's idea of cramming seatage in.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,500
    edited September 2022

IshmaelZ said:

OnboardG1 said:

Faster than light travel, like quantum entangled particles.
    A demise of the crown also used to meant that Parliament was automatically dissolved up until the 19th century I believe. Imagine, we’d be having an October GE!
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,787
    Ukrainian forces have recaptured 700+ square km of territory in south of Ukraine as well as east, where they've advanced up to 50km into Russian lines, retaking 20+ villages, a 🇺🇦general has revealed in most detailed comments yet on 🇺🇦 counter-offensive.
    https://twitter.com/haynesdeborah/status/1567863002614927360
  • Options

OnboardG1 said:

dr_spyn said:

dr_spyn said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

Why?

Mallard definitely.

Yep, not to mention being the train that anyone born in her reign took to job interviews, weddings, funerals and sports fixtures. It’s dyed in the national psyche, even if most people don’t realise it.
  • Options
    Who the fuck told me to come on this hike?

Look at it. 15 km. zero shade. zero. All sand

• Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,252
    Leon said:

Unnecessary and unpleasant.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Just keep an eye open for a dodgy Austin K2 ambulance that is actually transplanted onto a four wheel drive chariot, with three blokes and a female nurse in it.
  • Options

OnboardG1 said:

Leon said:

…what the actual fuck?
    Grief, drink and strenuous exercise can do strange things to a chap
    Too much sun by the looks of it.
  • Options
    Leon said:

(snip photos)

Looks magnificent. Stop whinging and just enjoy it.
  • Options
    OnboardG1 said:

OnboardG1 said:

dr_spyn said:

dr_spyn said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

Why?

Mallard definitely.

Yep, not to mention being the train that anyone born in her reign took to job interviews, weddings, funerals and sports fixtures. It’s dyed in the national psyche, even if most people don’t realise it.
    They came in about the time I got my first job. I can remember the smell of the early brakes.
  • Options
    UK DefSec Ben Wallace says Britain is sending more than 120 military logistic vehicles to #Ukraine. Part of package will include dozens of heavy transporters to move armour and artillery over large distances. Says will help Ukraine to rapidly redeploy equipment such as MLRS
    https://twitter.com/bealejonathan/status/1567860690227961856
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Ukrainian forces have recaptured 700+ square km of territory in south of Ukraine as well as east, where they've advanced up to 50km into Russian lines, retaking 20+ villages, a 🇺🇦general has revealed in most detailed comments yet on 🇺🇦 counter-offensive.
    https://twitter.com/haynesdeborah/status/1567863002614927360

Wow.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,995
    Cookie said:

Just seen the news.

It is, sadly.

Although instantaneously it is.
  • Options

OnboardG1 said:

dr_spyn said:

dr_spyn said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

Why?

Mallard definitely.

1976 was before 1977!
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,684
    MaxPB said:

Is there a link available to that target?
  • Options
    Deputies of Smolninksoye municipality in St Petersburg voted to address the Russian Duma with a suggestion to accuse Putin of treason and remove him from power, according to the Article 93 of the Constitution

PS the address is not filed yet, it gonna be sent in the coming days

https://twitter.com/kamilkazani/status/1567867734393749505

Stay away from upper storey windows.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Cookie said:

Just seen the news.

It is, sadly.

Does William automatically become Prince of Wales? Or does he need to be appointed that title and its only the monarch that changes title instantly?
  • Options

Leon said:

(snip photos)

Sure. You do it. The weather was meant to be mild and considerably cloudy. It’s pure blue sky and about 30C. And not a hint of shade anywhere

And the sand!

*soldiers on, britannically*
  • Options

OnboardG1 said:

dr_spyn said:

dr_spyn said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

Why?

Mallard definitely.

1976 was before 1977!
    Good to see you in the nerdy train thread Sunil.
  • Options
    biggles said:

CatMan said:

Wait, hang on, I have tickets for Sunday!
    Test abandoned - sabina park

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNV8LJX1Pms

one or two batsmen glad to be out there!
  • Options
    OnboardG1 said:

Leon said:

…what the actual fuck?
    Leon has abandoned his walk for a third bottle.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Cookie said:

Just seen the news.

It is, sadly.

Does William automatically become Prince of Wales? Or does he need to be appointed that title and its only the monarch that changes title instantly?
    The latter.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,382

Leon said:

(snip photos)

And turn your phone off while you’re about it.
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,458
    Leon said:

A few days ago we were wondering if someone would die on PB...

I'd hope you brought a few litres of water and a hat. 15km in full sun and sand. You're not in Camden any more.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    I don’t think shutting down the internet for the public holidays following the queens death is a particularly good idea, personally.
  • Options

Interesting that JRM has confirmed tidal energy is part of the energy strategy

That's okay. The mediaevals had it, so no problem there.

https://woodbridgetidemill.org.uk/
  • Options
    ping said:

I don’t think shutting down the internet for the public holidays following the queens death is a particularly good idea, personally.

Sounds like a great idea to me.
  • Options
    ping said:

Is anyone suggesting that?!
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Cookie said:

Just seen the news.

It is, sadly.

Wikipedia says it has to be appointed.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Cookie said:

Just seen the news.

It is, sadly.

Appointment. It isn't automatic.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,202
    ping said:

In darker moments I think shutting down the internet altogether might not be a bad idea.
This discussion has been closed.