Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Blow for Truss in first voting poll as PM – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,390
    I noticed she had large bruises on the backs of her hands when she met Truss.
    Presumably been on a drip.
  • Options

Anti-monarchist sleeper agent got the job done

You owe me coffee and a new keyboard. 🤣
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,250
    Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Doctors concerned for HMQ's health.

I fear the end is close. I did try to tell you. Then you dismissed my info as invented
    The end might indeed be close - for a 96-yr old frail-looking woman - but no one who knew told you.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Parliament would surely immediately adjourn on the demise of the sovereign?

Isn't there a choreography around this, in terms of how the announcement is made? Rushing off to change into appropriate black ties is one thing, but you can't pre-empt the official announcement. Government frontbench has to stay in place to ensure business investment the House continues until it's adjourned.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,867
    I really hope she recovers, but if HMQ were to die in Scotland, that would be "interesting"
  • Options
    OnboardG1OnboardG1 Posts: 1,277

Leon said:

RobD said:

Not if the queen is “just” gravely ill
    From memory Victoria reportedly didn't officially die until it suited the timescale for The Times to go to print.
    Wasn’t that George V?

Either way, London Bridge would be grim at the present time.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478

I am wearing a jumper. In my own home.

This is a disgrace.

Yesterday evening my wife cracked and turned up the thermostat.

You might try wearing an electrically heated motorbike vest. It consumes only a few tens of watts but does need a 12 volt source. It works a treat, but you have to remember to unplug yourself to answer the door or a call of Nature.
    Actually, thanks for reminding me to get one of those small electric blankets to put over my shoulders.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,122
    OnboardG1 said:

Leon said:

RobD said:

From memory Victoria reportedly didn't officially die until it suited the timescale for The Times to go to print.
    Wasn’t that George V?

George V was given a lethal injection of morphine to make sure he died before the Times went to print. Not sure if that's what you meant?
  • Options
    Truss says our thoughts are with the Queen and her family

Sounds very serious
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,983
    Nigelb said:

I noticed she had large bruises on the backs of her hands when she met Truss.
    Presumably been on a drip.

Or punching serfs.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,947
    Cancelling a zoom meeting yesterday didn't look great.
    I don't buy this "comfortable" business.
    You don't have the PM and LOTO downing tools on the most anticipated setpiece for months for a comfortable Monarch.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,890
    From now on, let no mortal PB-er dismiss the predictions of THE MIGHTY LEON
  • Options

Taz said:

At last! The fact that the £170bn is non-UK and non-taxable is addressed to Starmer and again he fails to answer the question as to how high above 65% he'd want it to be.

He seemed really nonplussed when asked the question about the 65%.

The Tories need to combat the "on the side of the fatcats" narrative. It looks like they are starting to.

Starmer had a bit of a free run when Boris was PM, it looks like he will be challenged a bit more now. Good. So he should be.

The whole point about excess profits is that they are excess - unplanned for and unbudgeted for. Therefore, the level at which they are taxed is immaterial.

Not true. Firms plan for volatility, they need reserves for when they make losses due to excess losses (like during lockdown) and they make up for it when they get excess profits.

If you tax the profits but privatise the losses that's just as bad as doing the opposite way around.

Given the news, I'll not get into a long exchange over this. I'll just make one observation: you have never run a business, have you Bart? Especially not a huge, energy, multinational. The CEO of BP has.

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,957

Anti-monarchist sleeper agent got the job done

Oh for goodness sake she is 96, every day is a bonus.

True Tories will rally round King Charles when the time comes as the PM will be expected to do. Until then long live the Queen
  • Options

Truss says our thoughts are with the Queen and her family

Sounds very serious

Certainly doesn't sound as though the information they're getting suggests a recovery.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Siting here in A&E with wife with likely post op infection, the news about HM is not the PB distraction I was looking for.

Truss needs to work on her monotone.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,957
    Some good proposals from Truss on the energy bills cap anyway
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Leon said:

RobD said:

George V, and he was murdered to ensure the annuncement was in the Times and not the vulgar evening papers. Easier to hasten than postpone.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Siting here in A&E with wife with likely post op infection, the news about HM is not the PB distraction I was looking for.

All the best for your wife and yourself
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Ugh, sorry to hear that. Hope it doesn't turn out to be too serious.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,922
    dixiedean said:

Cancelling a zoom meeting yesterday didn't look great.
    I don't buy this "comfortable" business.
    You don't have the PM and LOTO downing tools on the most anticipated setpiece for months for a comfortable Monarch.

Yeah. Some concern this is just preparing for the announcement, that shes slipping away.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

I fear the end is close. I did try to tell you. Then you dismissed my info as invented
    The end might indeed be close - for a 96-yr old frail-looking woman - but no one who knew told you.
    Sigh. Can’t you just accept that I got it right?

I’m not going to exult. It’s horrible. Our queen is near the end. But a very well informed person warned me this was very close and I told you all yesterday

And so it is. Whatever. You do you
  • Options
    Where’s the Bertrand Dawson de nos jours?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    Scott_xP said:

I really hope she recovers, but if HMQ were to die in Scotland, that would be "interesting"

Why?
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Best wishes to your wife Jonathan. Hope she is better soon.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,855
    Oh dear, that doesn’t sound good about HM.
  • Options
    You dont need to leave the chamber for HMQ is unwell. You do i guess for HMQ has taken a critical turn for the worse.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,158
    Leon said:

PB - I have a dilemma. I am meant to go on a punishing 15km hike across cliffs and dunes to my next hotel. I know I will arrive - sore and tired - with a sense of achievement. And this hike is my assignment

Alternatively I could sit in this pleasant town square and sip medronho and pingado and read my biography of Pessoa and then just get a cab in about 3 hours. In other words, cheat

No one at the Gazette will know

What would YOU do?

I'd do the walk.

But you'd have got away with not doing it if you hadn't announced the possibility of cheating on a public forum. 😀
  • Options
    Sky with a tasteful interview with a delighted fracking magnate
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

RobD said:

George V, and he was murdered to ensure the annuncement was in the Times and not the vulgar evening papers. Easier to hasten than postpone.
    Being cynical you can postpone the announcement until the urgent business of the day is wrapped up in the House and people are prepared with their ties etc
  • Options
    OnboardG1 said:

Leon said:

RobD said:

Wasn’t that George V?

Many years ago a TV dramatisation of the abdication crisis referred to the clocks being on Sandringham Mean Time, suggesting that "David" missed his big mo on the 9 o'clock news as a result.

On reflection, that doesn't make sense. Sandringham Mean Time would be a few minutes ahead of GMT.
  • Options

You dont need to leave the chamber for HMQ is unwell. You do i guess for HMQ has taken a critical turn for the worse.

Sky saying she is under medical supervision which does not sound good
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

I hope the wife improves soon

• Options
    Clarence House: “Their Royal Highnesses The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall have travelled to Balmoral.”

The Duke of Cambridge is also travelling to Balmoral
  • Options
    Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

I’m not going to exult. It’s horrible. Our queen is near the end. But a very well informed person warned me this was very close and I told you all yesterday

Was it Michael Fagan or Peter Morgan?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,675
    I've no idea if the plans are the right move, but the tone of this point as reported on BBC just makes me think, well, the government are not miracle workers, unfortunately people will be paying more, surely it is about blunting that as much as possible?

Lib Dem leader Ed Davey intervenes, asking Liz Truss about if people will be paying £500 more next month than right now.

He adds this is twice that of bills a year ago.

Truss says struggling families will get the help they need.
  • Options
    Mr. Jonathan, hope your wife makes a swift and full recovery.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

It was someone who would be in a position to know

• Options

RobD said:

Its not London Bridge, there is no way that is communicated to the PM by Nadhim Zahawi
    Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster?
    I don't know the protocol, but that may be one of his few duties.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    edited September 2022
    HYUFD said:

Seriously?

“We are proud to unveil our crisis plan!”
    “How much does it cost?”
    “Dunno.”

https://twitter.com/PJTheEconomist?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1567832673661353991|twgr^d234df87789709d27773b7fee5c08c76eb977c7d|twcon^s1_&ref_url=https://news.sky.com/story/liz-truss-prime-minister-live-updates-picks-cabinet-boris-johnson-12593360

They can’t tell us how much it costs?

This week has been a shambles for the Tories. At the first PMQ question from Starmer, Truss fell down a trap. And now big plan is so half baked there hasn’t been any costs put on it? We have to wait weeks.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Clarence House: “Their Royal Highnesses The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall have travelled to Balmoral.”

Looks like she is gravely ill
  • Options
    Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Trying to make this story about you is just distasteful.
  • Options
    OnboardG1OnboardG1 Posts: 1,277
    Jonathan said:

Ooft, hope she gets well soon.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

RobD said:

Its not London Bridge, there is no way that is communicated to the PM by Nadhim Zahawi
    Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster?
    I don't know the protocol, but that may be one of his few duties.
    Yeah. Duchy of Lancaster is a bit of a giveaway.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,075
    Scott_xP said:

NEW: As Liz Truss sets out plans on the energy bill crisis today, we’ve carried out a snap poll for @38degrees with the public strongly supporting a windfall tax on energy producers as one of the options for paying for the price cap.

https://www.survation.com/public-and-conservative-voters-believe-windfall-tax-on-energy-producers-should-form-a-part-of-paying-for-energy-bill-cap/

Of course they do. People support someone else paying for something. This is hardly a surprise given it’s presented as evil oil and gas giants making hundreds of billions excess profits at the expense of the UKs poorest.
  • Options
    POW and Camilla headed for Balmoral.
    Not in hospital.
    Doesn't look great.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Scott_xP said:

Oh crap. Duke of Cambridge is in Windsor, he wouldn’t travel to Scotland if it wasn’t urgent.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

That definitely sounds ominous. William wouldn't be going today of all days if it weren't something really serious.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Thats sub optimal. I guess we need to be ready for what will be an earthshock
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Thanks all. I saw HM once. She visited my office. I didn’t speak to her. I’ve met 4 PMs, countless Pols and Terry Wogan. She is in a league of her own.
  • Options
    It's amazing how quickly HMQ has gone downhill without Prince Phillip isn't it?

Of course given her age she might have gone into a serious health decline this year anyway but it's still notable I think.
  • Options
    Clearly serious. Serious doesn't always mean terminal, but its certainly not good news.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Of course given her age she might have gone into a serious health decline this year anyway but it's still notable I think.

It happens to a lot of couple who have been together for many decades. My grandparents died within a month of each other.

• Options
    Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Ah, your medium friend.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,402
    Jonathan said:

ATB wishes for your wife.

• Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,339

HYUFD said:

Seriously?

“How much does it cost?”
    “Dunno.”

They can’t tell us how much it costs? That is the definition of a disgrace. 🙂

This week has been a shambles for the Tories. At the first PMQ question from Starmer, Truss fell down a trap. And now big plan is so half baked there hasn’t been any costs put on it?
    I dislike the policy (many of us don’t need the bung) but that’s a bit of a silly criticism. The public doesn’t need to know the cost. The public just needs to know there’s going to be a freeze. Tbh business doesn’t need much more info either so long as the energy market starts to prepare.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Sorry to hear that Jonathan. Hope she's better soon.
  • Options

Would I be naive to assume that the same people who were prolapsing over the idea of a male czar of menstruation will also be having a moment over Truss abolishing the role of minister of women and handing the duties over to notable understander of women, Nadhim Zahawi?

I am concerned about both, if that helps.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,088
    IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

RobD said:

It seems she had enough steely determination to outlive a Johnson premiership.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Covid. Still hoping she pulls through and enjoys more years.
  • Options
    I feel sorry for Charles.

The moment he has been waiting his entire life for and he might not have time to grieve properly.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,675
    With all respect due to Her Majesty, hoping she is well after this event it does show she probably needs to accept a regency. Otherwise every time she doesn't go to something or has a check up it will be panicked 'is this it?' moments.
  • Options
    R5L abandoned all energy talk.
    It's all HMQ now.
    Tone is extremely sombre.
    The Graham Brady timetable has done for her.
  • Options

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

She’s not dead yet, bless her

And we were all cheerily debating this yesterday. I distinctly recall @kinabalu saying

“She looks fine, she’s probably got another 5 years in her”

• Options
    MISTYMISTY Posts: 1,594
    GIN1138 said:

Somebody on radio this morning also suggesting the schisms in the family esp Wills vs Harry also not helping.

• Options
    How bad is it?

BBC One has canned Bargain Hunt and switched to the News Channel.
  • Options
    MISTYMISTY Posts: 1,594

With the greatest respect to the Queen can I say that at least Truss is PM at this time, not Johnson thankfully

Amen.
  • Options
    I have something of a sinking feeling that by this time tomorrow we will be in a very different place
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

How bad is it?

Sounds like they know, or suspect, more than they're letting on. Which would be a wonder for journalists in itself.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,143
    Leon said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

And we were all cheerily debating this yesterday. I distinctly recall @kinabalu saying

Yes I'm sorry about that. And if she's now trying to prove me wrong I'll carry that weight to my grave.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,138
    Bugger.
  • Options
    If the business cap is the same as the Oct consumer rate, that's 58p per kWh for electricity ?
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,339
    Scott_xP said:

How bad is it?

Balls. The BBC will know.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Yes I'm sorry about that. And if she's now trying to prove me wrong I'll carry that weight to my grave.
    THE MIGHTY LEON will probably ensure that's a short walk for you!
  • Options
    G-ZABH will fly out from RAF Northolt at this afternoon to Aberdeen likely with Duke of Cambridge onboard as it will be using a Royal callsign KRF23R

https://twitter.com/air_intel/status/1567843686343393280
  • Options
    Has Deputy speaker taken over for a reason?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Without being ghoulish the photo of her with Truss said it all, I fear. It was someone close to the end

Ah god. It’s going to be bleak

• Options
    kle4 said:

With all respect due to Her Majesty, hoping she is well after this event it does show she probably needs to accept a regency. Otherwise every time she doesn't go to something or has a check up it will be panicked 'is this it?' moments.

Check ups and the family being called etc will be "is this it?" moments even with a regency.

We have a de facto regency already, Charles already did the Queen's Speech etc

I said earlier this week I expect that photo of her inviting Truss to form a Government would be the final photograph of the Queen doing an official duty like that, but that was because I thought she probably had another year or two in her but she wouldn't do any more duties in that time.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Has Deputy speaker taken over for a reason?

Yes.
  • Options

With the greatest respect to the Queen can I say that at least Truss is PM at this time, not Johnson thankfully

Yep totally. And perhaps HM thought so too. Held on until he'd gone. Hats off if so.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Best wishes to your wife Jonathan. Hope she is better soon.

Seconded. Best wishes to you both.
  • Options
    biggles said:

HYUFD said:

Seriously?

“How much does it cost?”
    “Dunno.”

They can’t tell us how much it costs? That is the definition of a disgrace. 🙂

This week has been a shambles for the Tories. At the first PMQ question from Starmer, Truss fell down a trap. And now big plan is so half baked there hasn’t been any costs put on it?
    I dislike the policy (many of us don’t need the bung) but that’s a bit of a silly criticism. The public doesn’t need to know the cost. The public just needs to know there’s going to be a freeze. Tbh business doesn’t need much more info either so long as the energy market starts to prepare.
    The important information is it will reduce inflation by 5% and the analysis confirms much lower rates going forward

Hence why the pound is rising
  • Options

G-ZABH will fly out from RAF Northolt at this afternoon to Aberdeen likely with Duke of Cambridge onboard as it will be using a Royal callsign KRF23R

https://twitter.com/air_intel/status/1567843686343393280

Yeah, that’s not good.

Same plane that was used the other day, to take the new PM to Balmoral.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,130
    Scott_xP said:

Why?
  • Options
    RobD said:

If this is it, she will have done her duty right up until very nearly the last day.

Absolutely. Every sane republican will say the same too.

I don't like the principle of a monarchy in theory, but Her Majesty deserves our greatest respect and thanks.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

Scott_xP said:

Why?
    Special procedures, I think trains are involved.
  • Options
    Sky News pretty much doing a sort of pre-obituary
  • Options
    Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Three weeks ago I said that I had heard, via a source that would know, that she had bone cancer and that things didn't look good and @Foxy sensibly said it was more likely to be osteoporosis.

Everyone since the Truss meeting noticed her hands and said "O God" including you and your "friend".
  • Options
    I don’t feel very MIGHTY LEON now. Seriously don’t want the old girl to go

Boo
  • Options
    Voices cracking on Sky, grim times
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

So Liz Truss did what I expected and promised financial manna from heaven with the young to spend the rest of their lives working like slaves to pay for it.

If the Tories win an election with this lemon in charge, then the UK really is beyond saving

It's equivalent to people paying £50 extra per yer for the duration of their working lives. Is that slavery?
    Remember to add in the unaffordability of mortgages and the payment of student debt along with zero hour contract jobs on minimum wage.
    Who is paying student debt while on a zero hour contract on minimum wage?
    No one. But nobody is able to pay it off either. So it hangs over you like the Sword of Damocles.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

Why?
    Special procedures, I think trains are involved.
    There would be something entirely fitting about a funeral cortège moving down the ECML allowing people the length of the country to pay their respects.

Would be a bugger for train schedules, but it would be symbolic.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Sky News pretty much doing a sort of pre-obituary

They know, don't they?

Never thought energy could be knocked off the news today. This is the only thing that could do it.

#1 and #2 1pm news headline, energy bills dropped to "in other news".
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

RobD said:

RobD said:

So Liz Truss did what I expected and promised financial manna from heaven with the young to spend the rest of their lives working like slaves to pay for it.

If the Tories win an election with this lemon in charge, then the UK really is beyond saving

It's equivalent to people paying £50 extra per yer for the duration of their working lives. Is that slavery?
    Remember to add in the unaffordability of mortgages and the payment of student debt along with zero hour contract jobs on minimum wage.
    Who is paying student debt while on a zero hour contract on minimum wage?
    No one. But nobody is able to pay it off either. So it hangs over you like the Sword of Damocles.
    Not really, it gets cancelled at the end. It's just a tax.
  • Options
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Without being ghoulish the photo of her with Truss said it all, I fear. It was someone close to the end

Ah god. It’s going to be bleak
    Bleak's not really the word I'd choose for the natural end of a long and healthy life.
  • Options
    It’s my birthday soon.

I just know the funeral will bugger it up.

Keep hanging in on your majesty.
This discussion has been closed.