Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Blow for Truss in first voting poll as PM – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options

Foss said:

IshmaelZ said:

So what regnal name will Prince Charles choose.

I think he’ll choose George.

Charles. This is not a time to be looking posh and weird. Praeter necessitatem.

Just think, all the QCs you know are now KCs.
    And when will they start changing the post boxes?
    They don’t. You can still see old George VI boxes in some places.

That single Edward VIII one worth a fortune.
    This one?

Wow, that'll teach me!
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,425

I don't know if there is a God, but I have just offered up a small silent prayer...

... that Leon's walk takes him out of signal for a bit.

5G and five solid bars, I’m afraid
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,973

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

I really hope she recovers, but if HMQ were to die in Scotland, that would be "interesting"

Why?
    Special procedures, I think trains are involved.
    There would be something entirely fitting about a funeral cortège moving down the ECML allowing people the length of the country to pay their respects.

Would be a bugger for train schedules, but it would be symbolic.
    Pulled by Flying Scotsman, Mallard or a Deltic. Would be beautiful. Thoughts with HMQ and her family today, feeling very sombre.
    Mallard definitely.
    Definitely not I'm afraid. Mallard is not in running condition. It can be hauled along the tracks, but it can't haul anything.
    Is 'Princess Elizabeth' available? It was named after her, and is mainline certified.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LMS_Princess_Royal_Class_6201_Princess_Elizabeth

Oh, and the look magnificent.

But it has to be a loco that is immediately available on her death. We'll probably get a 68 or 60 ... :(
    Agree she looks magnificent, but I'm afraid
    she is also out of service after a crack was discovered around the throatplate area of
    the firebox.
    Crikey - sounds like Leon talking about one of his exes.

• Options

Foss said:

IshmaelZ said:

Charles. This is not a time to be looking posh and weird. Praeter necessitatem.

Just think, all the QCs you know are now KCs.
    And when will they start changing the post boxes?
    They don’t. You can still see old George VI boxes in some places.

That single Edward VIII one worth a fortune.
    There are several Edward VIII ones around - they're rare but not that rare.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 7,073
    edited September 2022
    biggles said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

I find these odd words to type, but I think you may be underestimating Johnson. He was and is an utterly sleazy piece of shit, but he could get the tone right for this sort of thing. He’s not like Trump.

The tone, perhaps, but he would still look like a fucking clown at a funeral.

It is a blessing he is gone.
    I'd imagine he'll be at the funeral. And I am sure he'll look fine.
    All living ex PMs will be at the funeral no doubt.
    Plus I suspect Heads of State and ex-Heads of State from all over the world will actually come. It’s going to be a funeral not just for her, but for the 20th century.
    It will be the biggest world event in decades in terms of global gathering. It will certainly be the most watched tv event in the world by miles
  • Options
    FossFoss Posts: 694
    The BBC don't seem to be cutting back to the studio.
  • Options

I don't know if there is a God, but I have just offered up a small silent prayer...

I hope he finds salvation on his odyssey - like Moses in the Sinai -
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,731

I have a nasty feeling the death of HMQ is going to be for me a proxy grief for Mum because covid robbed me and the family of the chance to properly grieve for her or say the right sort of goodbye.

My sympathies, wooliedyed. I am glad in a way that my Mum passed away a bit before COVID-19 and we avoided such.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,097
    Whitehall's permanent secretaries are gathering for a meeting this afternoon, according to senior govt officials
    https://twitter.com/SebastianEPayne/status/1567857237112098822
  • Options
    Unpopular said:

Scott_xP said:

That’s a lot of people standing up and huddling in the newsroom https://twitter.com/juliamacfarlane/status/1567849675566227456/photo/1

I suspect the Palace would not make an announcement until William is there, the official 'end' will require the family to be with her.
    Wasn't there talk that her predecessor's end was hastened to fall at a more convenient time for the evening radio? Much easier to quicken than to delay, of course.
    Not so convenient for HMQ. She was up a tree in Africa at the time.
  • Options
    Foss said:

Can tell its serious as Sky aren't cutting away for adverts.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,946
    It does seem more serious than what the statement released suggests . The family wouldn’t all be going up there otherwise .
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,389
    edited September 2022

The Princess Royal is at Balmoral, and the Duke of York and the Earl and Countess of Wessex are on their way to the Queen’s Scottish home, reports PA

https://twitter.com/BethRigby/status/1567856087327543298

Thank you no need for the bold.
  • Options

I have a nasty feeling the death of HMQ is going to be for me a proxy grief for Mum because covid robbed me and the family of the chance to properly grieve for her or say the right sort of goodbye.

My sympathies, wooliedyed. I am glad in a way that my Mum passed away a bit before COVID-19 and we avoided such.
    Thank you. And my sympathies to you too.
  • Options
    Foss said:

I’ve noticed that - sensible as if necessary they can quickly get the presenter ready with tie etc without a kerfuffle onscreen.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,914
    edited September 2022
    nico679 said:

It does seem more serious than what the statement released suggests . The family wouldn’t all be going up there otherwise .

Of course. It's a courtesy message so the Civil Service are ready.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,310
    Anyway, end of an era or not ... it's Thursday, which is chicken breasts, and I haven't got them, so that's me off out now.
  • Options

I hope he finds salvation on his odyssey - like Moses in the Sinai -
    And God said unto Leon: "Take these tablets"
  • Options

I think this may be true for a lot of people. Sending best wishes.
  • Options
    My Rangers, Royalty and Rage local the Louden Tavern is going to go absolutely tonto. I'm sure that it'll be the full 8 shutter photo wrap salute on this occasion, possibly even a tank parked outside.

• Options
    This really is the STUPIDEST HIKE EVER

I might expire before her Maj

• Options
    Not sure of the date but I think Last Night of the Proms isn't too far off. Don't always watch it, but the anthem changing will be rather odd, if it happens.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

I think, in reality, she's already passed. It's all media management and gathering the family to announce at this stage - and fair enough, I get the reasons.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,334
    boulay said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

I really hope she recovers, but if HMQ were to die in Scotland, that would be "interesting"

Why?
    There would be something entirely fitting about a funeral cortège moving down the ECML allowing people the length of the country to pay their respects.

Pulled by Flying Scotsman, Mallard or a Deltic. Would be beautiful. Thoughts with HMQ and her family today, feeling very sombre.
    Mallard definitely.
    Definitely not I'm afraid. Mallard is not in running condition. It can be hauled along the tracks, but it can't haul anything.
    Is 'Princess Elizabeth' available? It was named after her, and is mainline certified.

But it has to be a loco that is immediately available on her death. We'll probably get a 68 or 60 ... :(
    Agree she looks magnificent, but I'm afraid
    she is also out of service after a crack was discovered around the throatplate area of
    the firebox.
    Crikey - sounds like Leon talking about one of his exes.

Byronic or LadyG?
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,360
    Huw Edwards in a black tie. Balls.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

At this stage im expecting the announcement either shortly after they are all gathered or in the morning, a notice on the palace gates at 9.30am
  • Options
    Huw's wearing a black tie.
  • Options
    Crikey Huw Edwards in black tie already made me sit up!
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,289
    How long will it take to replace RAF, RN and Army Queen's Crown cap badges with King's Crowns?
  • Options
    OnboardG1OnboardG1 Posts: 1,301
    I know that it’s a serious time but I couldn’t help remembering this sequence from Yes Prime Minister:

https://youtu.be/tQpV-A2zOvI
  • Options

kle4 said:

biggles said:

Which I don't understand at all. Surely his name is Charles? The previous two were ok, apart from a tiny civil war for one and a lot of shagging and cavorting for the other.
    Yes, but Coronation is one of those odd events where God lets you choose a new name. Popes get to do the same.
    Perhaps he can be “King Dave” or “King Steve”? Capture the zeitgeist.
    The most popular boys name for years has been Oliver for some reason (I know none).

King Oliver II (essentially).
    We already have had a King Steve . Perhaps there is a reason why there is not a second though !
    Doesn't he always top the 'Britain's worst ever monarch' list?
    The Chaos.

Although history is in the gift of the history writers. Why his long (19 year) reign is so uniquely bad is explained by the various challenges from Matilda amongst others but perhaps no more or less than other monarchs.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,882
    edited September 2022
    biggles said:

Yep. Going to be an announcement within the next hour IMO.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,825
    nico679 said:

I was thinking the same thing. The actual statement doesn't sound too bad.
  • Options
    boulay said:

Foss said:

I’ve noticed that - sensible as if necessary they can quickly get the presenter ready with tie etc without a kerfuffle onscreen.
    Imagine the nerves of the presenter -what an announcement to make
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,019
    TOPPING said:

The Princess Royal is at Balmoral, and the Duke of York and the Earl and Countess of Wessex are on their way to the Queen’s Scottish home, reports PA

Not sure you grieving hard enough if you reject the extra sad black pixels. Only bold will do for today and all of our queenless tomorrows.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited September 2022
    Outrageous.

Times Radio cutting off coverage to run adverts for McDonald’s.

How dare they.
  • Options
    Sky's not cutting back to the studio either. Getting the ties ready?
  • Options
    I am not a monarchist at all but this is a very sad day for the UK
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Edited to fix.

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,927
    edited September 2022
    Foss said:

I’m watching GB News - it’s the only UK news channel on Youtube - and they’ve not had a studio shot for more than an hour now. Perhaps they’re re-arranging it. Lots of croaky voices and the occasional slip into the past tense from guests.
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,360
    OnboardG1 said:

I know that it’s a serious time but I couldn’t help remembering this sequence from Yes Prime Minister:

https://youtu.be/tQpV-A2zOvI

Yes, fixing the NI protocol came to mind.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Reminds me of the time I decided to hike Chesil Beach. Sympathies at this difficult time.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

Why?

Mallard definitely.

Clan Line or Duchess of Sutherland might be available to haul a funeral train.
    It seems an odd thing to be discussing, but please let it be the Duchess of Sutherland. A magnificent loco, and the most powerful class of steam locos ever to run in Britain. If only it was streamlined, as Duchess of Hamilton looks spectacular.

And thanks to the poster below for info. on Princess Elizabeth.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Foss said:

I’m watching GB News - it’s the only UK news channel on Youtube - and they’ve not had a studio shot for more than an hour now. Perhaps they’re re-arranging it. Lots of croaky voices and the occasional slip into the past tense from guests.
    Does GB News not cover events in Northern Ireland, thus the name?

• Options
    BBC One have suspended all regular programming until 6pm.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

biggles said:

Yep. Going to be an announcement within the next hour IMO.
    Yes, today for sure
  • Options
    edited September 2022

nico679 said:

I think, in reality, she's already passed. It's all media management and gathering the family to announce at this stage - and fair enough, I get the reasons.
    If I can make one plea in all of this, can no one use the word "passed". Passed away is just about ok but dear god not "passed".
  • Options
    Harry and Meghan travelling to Balmoral.
  • Options
    BREAK: Harry and Meghan, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex are on their way to Balmoral
  • Options
    If they cut back to studio and witchell has changed into a black tie we know it’s all over I think.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,272
    Nicholas Witchell ‘we must prepare for the worst’ !
  • Options
    We always say in politics events and this will be huge and Truss's Blair moment

The news will be dominated for weeks to come with both the funeral and coronation being World events

The only good news is it is Truss and not Johnson
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

If she doesn’t die, this is going to look a bit ridiculous.
  • Options
    BBC1 has cleared the schedule.
  • Options
    Look around you. This will be one of those "where were you" moments.
  • Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004
    Even Harry and Meghan now going....

BREAKING: The Duke and Duchess of Sussex will be travelling to Scotland, a spokesperson for the couple said. Watch TalkTV live 👉🏻 youtu.be/8VC8gFexeZc
    https://twitter.com/TalkTV/status/1567859639873675270
  • Options
    ping said:

Scott_xP said:

I think we can be certain that, marvellous as she is, our dear old Queen will, eventually, die
  • Options
    Yep, this is it....
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

nico679 said:

If I can make one plea in all of this, can no one use the word "passed". Passed away is just about ok but dear god not "passed".
    Quite right. People die.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited September 2022
    Leon said:

As a a brief moment of light relief, that looks very strangely like a cross between a landscaped garden and entrance at a holiday complex - just missing those ball lights on stands - and a random piece of the Australian outback made by nature. The Queen would be amused if presented with it during a royal engagement, I think.
  • Options

The news will be dominated for weeks to come with both the funeral and coronation being World events

What would have happened if the Queen had died on Monday or Tuesday, with the new PM needing to be seen? Is there a protocol? Would Johnson have continued for a while, or would Prince Charles have done it?
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

Why?

Mallard definitely.

It seems an odd thing to be discussing, but please let it be the Duchess of Sutherland. A magnificent loco, and the most powerful class of steam locos ever to run in Britain. .
    And possibly the best Hornby train set of all time.

• Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,719

This is one thing Johnson probably would have done reasonably well at.
  • Options

What would have happened if the Queen had died on Monday or Tuesday, with the new PM needing to be seen? Is there a protocol? Would Johnson have continued for a while, or would Prince Charles have done it?
    Le Roi est mort....

Would have been Charles. Gone are the days when it was a race to Winchester, speaking of Stephen's era...
  • Options
    Foss said:

Harry and Meghan are being reported as being on their way too, according to the BBC. I hope they get there in time.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Nicholas Witchell ‘we must prepare for the worst’ !

Too late, it’s happened. He’s on our screens already.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    edited September 2022

The king would have done it. “The Queen is dead. Long live the King”.
  • Options
    Leon said:

ping said:

Scott_xP said:

I think we can be certain that, marvellous as she is, our dear old Queen will, eventually, die
    As will we all.
  • Options

I believe Charlie takes over her responsibilities from the moment of death but I’d not take that as Gospel.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,328
    Live coverage from the BBC of the Queen’s front gate, where nothing is happening, even here in Vermont.

The nation is at least fortunate to have got rid of the clown prior.
  • Options

Cynic in me says The Queen would have appointed Her new PM but there'd have been no photos released.
  • Options
    NEW: Harry and Meghan, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex are travelling to Balmoral Castle. They were supposed to be doing a charity event in London this evening.

https://twitter.com/chrisshipitv/status/1567858932164579328
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    OnboardG1 said:

I believe Charlie takes over her responsibilities from the moment of death but I’d not take that as Gospel.
    Charles is King instantaneously
  • Options

Cynic in me says The Queen would have appointed Her new PM but there'd have been no photos released.
    I think Johnson woudl have stayed as to not avoid a newsclash
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,995
    The Archers is on...
  • Options

I am not a monarchist at all but this is a very sad day for the UK

Me neither but I’ve always been a great admirer of the queen. I have a huge amount of time for her
  • Options
    Taz said:

Foss said:

Harry and Meghan are being reported as being on their way too, according to the BBC. I hope they get there in time.
    Yes, me too. Might go faster if they let Harry fly the helicopter.
  • Options
    sign lang man on BBC news in black tie
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,671

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

Why?

Mallard definitely.

Princess Elizabeth currently advertised for fortnightly Settle-Carlisle runs, including Sept 24th 2022.

https://northernbelle.co.uk/journeys/princess-elizabeth-steam

So presumably available.
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,248
    OnboardG1 said:

Yes, there is no interregnum.
  • Options

Charles becomes King the moment his mother dies. However, when such things have happened in the past no change of government has taken place during the official mourning.

Equally, that was when the death of a sovereign automatically dissolved Parliament anyway. In 1901 and 1936 Salisbury and Baldwin hung on for a bit longer than they had planned to make sure the succession went smoothly (which didn’t quite work in Baldwin’s case)!

• Options
    IshmaelZ said:

OnboardG1 said:

Indeed, although we should note that this is a legal fiction as no information can actually travel faster than the speed of light.
  • Options

I really have no idea
  • Options
    OnboardG1 said:

Monarchy travels at the speed of light. I believe the High Frequency Traders have looked into using it.
  • Options
    Witchell not changed tie
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,879

dr_spyn said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

Why?

Mallard definitely.

It seems an odd thing to be discussing, but please let it be the Duchess of Sutherland. A magnificent loco, and the most powerful class of steam locos ever to run in Britain. .
    And possibly the best Hornby train set of all time.

Horby Dublo or modern Hornby? The original one was cast metal not plastic, as I recall from the 1960s.

More seriously, using a Deltic or a steam loco to hand would certainly avoid any concerns about wire damage - a regular, though not common, issue on the ECML.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,289

dr_spyn said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

Why?

Mallard definitely.

It seems an odd thing to be discussing, but please let it be the Duchess of Sutherland. A magnificent loco, and the most powerful class of steam locos ever to run in Britain. If only it was streamlined, as Duchess of Hamilton looks spectacular.

And thanks to the poster below for info. on Princess Elizabeth.
    2 x Stanier Black 5 locomotives would also do the job.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    Foss said:

OnboardG1 said:

Monarchy travels at the speed of light. I believe the High Frequency Traders have looked into using it.
    Perhaps the Queen and Prince Charles are in a state of quantum entanglement?
  • Options

Leon said:

As a a brief moment of light relief, that looks very strangely like a cross between a landscaped garden and entrance at a holiday complex - just missing those ball lights on stands - and a random piece of the Australian outback made by nature. The Queen would be amused if presented with it during a royal engagement, I think.
    its the Burning Bush - rejoice!
  • Options

ping said:

Harry and Meghan travelling to Balmoral.

That's good. I am not a fan of Harry but it would be hateful for him to miss farewells with his grandma because of petty family politicking.
    And the perfect time for the family to come together and put their differences behind them
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

sign lang man on BBC news in black tie

Huw too
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

OnboardG1 said:

Indeed, although we should note that this is a legal fiction as no information can actually travel faster than the speed of light.
    Quantum entanglement. Yes it can.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited September 2022
    The Queen has got on with Meghan better than almost all the rest of the family combined, and always was relatively unfussed by the whole conflict and nonsensical tribalism associated with it , and the various social media wars and cultural polarisation. Good to see that she's there, and it seems very likely the Queen herself has asked for that - in fact that's almost certain, I would say.
  • Options
    Foss said:

OnboardG1 said:

You only have a limited line of succession to use as quantum pairs. Eventually you get the wrong German title holder due to an error in the 12th century and your chain breaks.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Witchell not changed tie

he could not be seen in it until the formal announcement though
  • Options
    Never change, Hello Magazine.

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    OnboardG1 said:

If HMQ does pass on, Truss is going to have to channel Blair’s Diana moment but on steroids. I do not envy her.

Way bigger moment than Diana.

She will have an opportunity to express the nation's gratitude. If she gets the tone just right, a very big moment in the making of Liz Truss.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    edited September 2022
    If this is the day, then weirdly impressive that she held on just long enough to carry out the hand over for Truss.

I'm sort of imagining the Queen would go on as some sort of Hari Seldon (from the Foundation) type figures - having recorded speeches for all the things foreseen to come in the future, reassuring the British people at all kind of future events both domestic and global. It's that sort of day.
This discussion has been closed.