Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Truss dominates Sunak in the polling except the key one? – politicalbetting.com

123457»

Comments

• Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,186
    Why am I surrounded by intellectual dwarves
  • Options
    Leon labs why we all dogs
  • Options
    Is Batman immune to COVID
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667
    RobD said:

Leon said:

The “map” from the Worobey paper

Notice anything missing?

Ah yes

Come on you must be able to do better than that. That's just a screenshot that someone's typed Wuhan CDC on. Maybe it's really there, or maybe it's where Google Maps says it is, 4 km south of there.
    The Guardian thinks it's real. Of course with their track record of corrections and clarifications...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/01/could-covid-19-be-manmade-what-we-know-about-origins-trump-chinese-lab-coronavirus
    O God, I shouldn't keep refreshing.

The Guardian thinks the Wuhan Centre for Disease Control is real because it is. They say it's "located not far from the fish market". Arguably true, if you think 3.7km is not far.

The Graun doesn't mention another lab 300m away as far as I can tell.
  • Options

RobD said:

Leon said:

Notice anything missing?

Ah yes

Come on you must be able to do better than that. That's just a screenshot that someone's typed Wuhan CDC on. Maybe it's really there, or maybe it's where Google Maps says it is, 4 km south of there.
    The Guardian thinks it's real. Of course with their track record of corrections and clarifications...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/01/could-covid-19-be-manmade-what-we-know-about-origins-trump-chinese-lab-coronavirus

The Guardian thinks the Wuhan Centre for Disease Control is real because it is. They say it's "located not far from the fish market". Arguably true, if you think 3.7km is not far.

Stop being an idiot, this is mortifying
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

Cyclefree said:

Off topic but may be of interests to geologists on here.

I have acquired some 600 square metres of land which I am very very slowly turning into a garden and potager etc. it is currently wild and this week NW Electricity have started the process of removing an electricity pole on the land and laying the connection in an underground cable. It is hard work because the rock under the land (and we are on a hill) is dolerite, which is a sort of volcanic-like - and incredibly hard - rock, as you can see below.

Raised beds in the potager anyway. Even digging up a small bed in the front garden brought up quantities of the stuff. Imagine doing 600 sq mtrs!!

Get a megaton of topsoil and dump it on top.

ETA it's what Osgood Mackenzie did at Inverewe.
    A friend of mine with a tree farm makes his own soil - soiled horse bedding/manure composted for a year, mixed in with river silt from the local water treatment plant's settle tanks.
  • Options
    Everyone accepts that the Wuhan CDC - in 2019 - was right by the market. THIS IS NOT DISPUTED
  • Options
    Yh Leon m8 you lad you're right
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667
    edited July 2022
    Leon said:

It's because you insist on following their dodgy tweets pal!
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    edited July 2022

RobD said:

Leon said:

Notice anything missing?

Ah yes

The Economist put it at 500m:

The first flutterings of lab-leak concern were prompted by simple geography. That market is just 12km away from the Wuhan Institute of Virology (wiv), a global centre for coronavirus research. The Wuhan Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (cdc), which also worked on bat coronaviruses, is closer still: a mere 500 metres.

https://www.economist.com/international/2021/05/29/assessing-the-theory-that-covid-19-leaked-from-a-chinese-lab
  • Options

Leon said:

If you had read the Worobey paper, which you have not, you would have noticed that even THEY now admit - in this heavily revised version, after they faced much criticism - that the CDC lab is really close to the market - 277 metres, to be precise - but they hastily move on and say there is no evidence that it was fucking around with bat coronaviruses, even tho the Chinese admitted that they were, early on

It's farcical
  • Options

Leon said:

I think he needs to check out a new tourist hotspot. ;)
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

If you had read the Worobey paper, which you have not, you would have noticed that even THEY now admit - in this heavily revised version, after they faced much criticism - that the CDC lab is really close to the market - 277 metres, to be precise - but they hastily move on and say there is no evidence that it was fucking around with bat coronaviruses, even tho the Chinese admitted that they were, early on

It's farcical
    I can only assume the lab has been razed to the ground by now. Probably in the weeks after it all kicked off.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,005
    Matt Hancock reaches day 3 of his charity Mont Blanc trek with Gina

https://twitter.com/MattHancock/status/1552052351837605888?s=20&t=wSFXZ6f_PvSrx6kuHeZFTA
  • Options
    RobD said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It's farcical
    I can only assume the lab has been razed to the ground by now. Probably in the weeks after it all kicked off.
    Yes

I think - it is hard to be sure - that the Chinese moved it pronto after the outbreak

• Options

Why do you think he wears a mask?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,298

Because he cares about his own health and that of others.
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,725
    edited July 2022

Because he cares about his own health and that of others.
    The mask is not for you, its to protect the people you care about.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,627
    I'm probably going to support Rishi but doubt he'll win the contest.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,627
    "There is every reason to fear the return of Boris Johnson as prime minister

If the Tories crash to defeat at the next election, would anyone bet against them embracing Johnson as their saviour?
    By Martin Fletcher"

https://www.newstatesman.com/quickfire/2022/07/return-boris-johnson-prime-minister
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,384
    edited July 2022
    Existence of Loch Ness Monster is ‘plausible’ after fossil discovery
    River system dig in modern-day Morocco offers ‘controversial’ new perspective on how marine reptiles and aquatic dinosaurs co-existed

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/07/26/existence-loch-ness-monster-plausible-fossil-discovery/ (£££)
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    New Hampshire Dem poll, incumbent president polling second and vice-president polling below KLOBUCHAR

https://twitter.com/PhilipWegmann/status/1551967818123542528
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,302

Existence of Loch Ness Monster is ‘plausible’ after fossil discovery
    River system dig in modern-day Morocco offers ‘controversial’ new perspective on how marine reptiles and aquatic dinosaurs co-existed

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/07/26/existence-loch-ness-monster-plausible-fossil-discovery/ (£££)

If the Loch Ness monster existed there would need to be at least 50 of them. Air breathing plesiosaurs or whatever. One surfacing every minute or so. Think we might have noticed.
This discussion has been closed.