Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Truss dominates Sunak in the polling except the key one? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,779
    Leon said:

Jonathan said:

Just tune into PB as the Scillonian arrives in Penzance to see this leadership election to achieve new levels of weirdness.

That was the best TV leader debate EVER
    Given the impossibility of actually watching it, I guess you'll get some fans.
  • Options
    ???
  • Options

???

!!
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,934
    edited July 2022
    Leon said:

Leon said:
    I wouldn't say its OK until we hear McCann is OK.
    Guido is claiming McCann is OK
    I mean thats good, it can be nasty even with a faint. I had an episide of syncope related to my heart a few years ago and smashed my head on the way down. Fortunately fell forwards. My father worked with a perfectly healthy guy who slipped in the yard and hit his head going backwards and that was that
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,147
    IshmaelZ said:

dodrade said:

IshmaelZ said:

Cool. She reacts, recovers and then ADVANCES to investigate before it all cuts out. The new Ellen Ripley.

Bye bye Sunak. Game over.

When things go your way...... i mean im hoping Kate is OK of course but Truss getting to be Mumma Bear whilst Robot Rishi has an aide assist (after getting him a coffee) etc etc
    The camera was on Truss, for all we know Rishi might have rushed over first.
    Yes i know but the camera was on Truss. When things go your way..... what was seen was her going to help.
    Quite. It wasn't Bob Dole's fault that railing gave way.
    Yes, it's a tiny moment of luck that could have been really good or really bad

It would be quite understandable if Truss had frozen in shock and done nothing. Such an unexpected thing. And it might have looked terrible. But she managed to control her alarm and go and help, just in time - before the broadcast was chopped

Also, the camera was on her. For all we know Rishi leapt over the stage with one of his father's famous ointments - because it's a little known fact that his family ran a pharmacy - and immediately administered a miraculous cure. But the camera was on Truss - so hey ho. Them's the breaks
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,121
    Give up on it. We're going to have Truss as prime minister, courtesy of the Tory party. Let's just hope it's not for too long.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274

Sunak has no political ability at all.

He was appointed as Johnson’s patsy, who wouldn’t show him up or cause any trouble.

In the circumstances, he’s done better than expected. And shown Johnson up, brought down by his own patsy.
  • Options
    Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

dodrade said:

IshmaelZ said:

Cool. She reacts, recovers and then ADVANCES to investigate before it all cuts out. The new Ellen Ripley.

When things go your way...... i mean im hoping Kate is OK of course but Truss getting to be Mumma Bear whilst Robot Rishi has an aide assist (after getting him a coffee) etc etc
    Yes i know but the camera was on Truss. When things go your way..... what was seen was her going to help.

It would be quite understandable if Truss had frozen in shock and done nothing. Such an unexpected thing. And it might have looked terrible. But she managed to control her alarm and go and help, just in time - before the broadcast was chopped

Also, the camera was on her. For all we know Rishi leapt over the stage with one of his father's famous ointments - because it's a little known fact that his family ran a pharmacy - and immediately administered a miraculous cure. But the camera was on Truss - so hey ho. Them's the breaks
    Leon, this is 0/10 stuff.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

dodrade said:

IshmaelZ said:

Female candidate gets to be Mumma Bear on air. Suddenly we've all grazed our knees and all the other guy can offer is some of his Dads stingy old witch hazel and austerity. Lucky old Liz.
  • Options
    carnforth said:

PM Viktor Orbán's long-time adviser, Zsuzsa Hegedüs resigns, telling his boss in a letter that "I don't know how you didn't notice that you were turning your earlier anti-migrant and anti-Europeanism into a pure Nazi speech worthy of Goebbels”

https://twitter.com/panyiszabolcs/status/1551908898575196160

It's frightening, isn't it? One minute you can be a perfectly acceptable modern politician, trading on anti-migrant and anti-European sentiment. And suddenly without warning you find you're Goebbels!
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,373

Betfair next prime minister
    1.27 Liz Truss 79%
    4.8 Rishi Sunak 21%

Next Conservative leader
    1.26 Liz Truss 79%
    4.7 Rishi Sunak 21%

After the contest's strangest debate:-

Betfair next prime minister
    1.28 Liz Truss 78%
    4.6 Rishi Sunak 22%

Next Conservative leader
    1.26 Liz Truss 79%
    4.8 Rishi Sunak 21%
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

dodrade said:

IshmaelZ said:

I'm right. Just as I was right about the necklace and dress

This clip will be played many thousands of times, and it paints a human, relatable portrait of Truss

She's home and dry now (barring a scandal)
  • Options
    JACK_WJACK_W Posts: 651
    Daily Mail Story :

"Compassionate Liz Truss Rushes To Aid Collapsed Presenter As Sunak Freezes On Stage"
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,203
    sarissa said:

Cyclefree said:

Off topic but may be of interests to geologists on here.

I have acquired some 600 square metres of land which I am very very slowly turning into a garden and potager etc. it is currently wild and this week NW Electricity have started the process of removing an electricity pole on the land and laying the connection in an underground cable. It is hard work because the rock under the land (and we are on a hill) is dolerite, which is a sort of volcanic-like - and incredibly hard - rock, as you can see below.

Raised beds in the potager anyway. Even digging up a small bed in the front garden brought up quantities of the stuff. Imagine doing 600 sq mtrs!!

Great! I’m working on a pier restoration project for which we need 500+ m3 of dolerite type rock. Mind if we establish a quarry in your garden?😁
    I'll send you my price list. 😀
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Chris said:

Give up on it. We're going to have Truss as prime minister, courtesy of the Tory party. Let's just hope it's not for too long.

Shit, you lefties. The nation comes together in a moment of epiphany at the realization that Ellen Ripley lives and walks among us, and you come up with that shit. I wasn't going to vote tory next time round, but after reading that, I might
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,994
    Best wishes to Kate McCann.

On a political point: I cannot see this playing anything other than well for Truss. I'd be interesting to see other camera perspectives on Sunak - if Talk TV can afford more than one camera... ;)
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

dodrade said:

IshmaelZ said:

This clip will be played many thousands of times, and it paints a human, relatable portrait of Truss

Sunaks campaign is going so badly he probably got recorded saying 'won't someone go and help her'
    Karma for all the resignation teases
  • Options
    Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

dodrade said:

IshmaelZ said:

You may be right, but you also got my point.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Chris said:

Shit, you lefties. The nation comes together in a moment of epiphany at the realization that Ellen Ripley lives and walks among us, and you come up with that shit. I wasn't going to vote tory next time round, but after reading that, I might
    What were you going to vote - BNP?
  • Options
    I've learned three things today

1. Liz Truss (as I suspected after necklace-and-dress-gate) is REDACTED REDACTED REDACTED REDACTED REDACTED REDACTED

2. She also has nice normal human reactions: to swiftly help people in trouble

3. TalkTV is the most incredible pile of shit, and consists mainly of Piers Morgan's fat sweaty face
  • Options
    JACK_W said:

Daily Mail Story :

"Compassionate Liz Truss Rushes To Aid Collapsed Presenter As Sunak Freezes On Stage"

If that's legit, that's horrible by the Heil even for their standards.
  • Options
    Chris said:

IshmaelZ said:

Chris said:

I would say Green, but we are not very closely aligned on wildlife management issues
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,540

Carnyx said:

Bit late but perhaps one for @RochdalePioneers as well as those who claim Brexit is a doddle for impex folk.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/jul/26/british-wine-wholesaler-leave-uk-over-post-brexit-paperwork

He's having to move to France:

'There he will set up a French company to export back to his own company in Wales.

He said the only way he could get around the “incredibly complicated” paperwork for importing alcohol was to establish a French company to export into the UK, and do the administration in the EU himself.

“I am doing what the government was suggesting, which is to have a company here and in Europe to mitigate the impact of Brexit,” he said. “What I’m doing will enable me to import and export into and out of the EU within the company itself, so that we mitigate all of the cost of importing into the UK.”'

And that's a lot of employment, profit and tax lost to the UK. As HMG should have knonw when they said "**** business, go away and set up elsewhere".

That's the same whinging individual who has been quoted a thousand times before.

If everyone is struggling, why is it always the same moaning FBPE bugger with an EU flag on his handle that is the goto to be quoted instead of thousands of different individuals all complaining?
    Disappointed that you used whinging when you could have used whining, given the gentleman's business.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,373

JACK_W said:

Daily Mail Story :

Satire, I think.
  • Options
    JACK_W said:

Daily Mail Story :

Heartless Sunak applies Witch Hazel as Lovely Liz kisses our booboos all better

It is done.
  • Options

JACK_W said:

Daily Mail Story :

Satire, I think.
    Poe's Law applies.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,452
    I mean Truss was home and dry long before this evening. The inevitability is just even more inevitable now - if that can even be a thing.
  • Options

JACK_W said:

Daily Mail Story :

It is done.
    I wonder if there is footage of Sunak kicking McCann with his tiny Prada loafer, to make her get up and continue the debate, as it was his last big chance of winning the race
  • Options
    Leon said:

1. Liz Truss (as I suspected after necklace-and-dress-gate) is REDACTED REDACTED REDACTED REDACTED REDACTED REDACTED

3. TalkTV is the most incredible pile of shit, and consists mainly of Piers Morgan's fat sweaty face

TalkTV is just a 24/7 meet and greet for arseholes isnt it?
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,926

JACK_W said:

Daily Mail Story :

It is done.

“Elizabeth III vows to stop all fainting by cutting taxes to boost NHS” maybe.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    Yup, Truss has won it easily. Seemed a normal human reaction to me that allowed me to warm to her
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Chris said:

IshmaelZ said:

Chris said:

I would say Green, but we are not very closely aligned on wildlife management issues
    Well anyway, I'm happy if anything I said helped you to make up your mind how to vote. But I would caution you not to set too much store on anything people say on the Internet, where often things are not as they seem.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,452
    Leon said:

JACK_W said:

Daily Mail Story :

It is done.
    I wonder if there is footage of Sunak kicking McCann with his tiny Prada loafer, to make her get up and continue the debate, as it was his last big chance of winning the race
    McCann swooned at the details of Liz’s remarkable trade deal with Japan. Of course.

• Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,930
    Watching 'the moment' again - it looks like Liz glances over at Rishi, sees he's going down to help (or reacting in some way) _then_ decides (albeit quickly) to go over herself. Going to be interesting when other camera footage appears.
  • Options

Yup, Truss has won it easily. Seemed a normal human reaction to me that allowed me to warm to her

I've already been told today that Liz Truss is a "quieter Margaret Thatcher". I understand that was intended to be a compliment.
  • Options
    It begins

🔴 The host of TalkTV leadership debate Kate McCann fainted and Liz Truss dashed over to help her, The Telegraph understands.

The debate is no longer expected to restart tonight
    https://telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/07/26/liz-truss-rishi-sunak-next-pm-tory-leadership-news/
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Leon said:

JACK_W said:

Daily Mail Story :

It is done.
    He's Douglas Jardine insisting Eddie Paynter leave his hospital bed to bat in the fourth Bodyline test.
    Youre making me look bad, McCann!
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,801
    Bless , Liz will save us all

Next she’ll be working at a leper colony !

• Options
    Queen Elizabeth and Princess Diana rolled into one.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,964

This is the Express headline?
  • Options
    ohnotnow said:

Watching 'the moment' again - it looks like Liz glances over at Rishi, sees he's going down to help (or reacting in some way) _then_ decides (albeit quickly) to go over herself. Going to be interesting when other camera footage appears.

Such an historic moment that I would like to see it immortalised in the style of the Bayeux tapestry.
    Chris said:

IshmaelZ said:

Chris said:

IshmaelZ said:

Chris said:

Well anyway, I'm happy if anything I said helped you to make up your mind how to vote. But I would caution you not to set too much store on anything people say on the Internet, where often things are not as they seem.
    Thanks for the heads up. I have to say that @Redacted's rather persistent personal messages were already causing me concern.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Well McCann is involved so that's their trifecta.

[Sorry if that's going too far]
  • Options
    All eyes on Sheffield
  • Options

RobD said:

Nothing about cancer though.
  • Options
    'Liz leverages her trademark compassion to save our NHS'

'Compassionate Conservatism in action'

MILK IT you feckers, milk it for all its worth
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    Very odd.

Rewatching the clip on the bbc - Kate McCann looked totally fine 15 seconds before, when she asked Liz the question. Not flustered or anything.

Strange.
  • Options
    Chris said:

nico679 said:

Has anyone considered the possibility that she instinctively swooped down to suck the poor woman's blood?
    Or that the initial panicked reaction was her thinking Shit, what's the safe word?
  • Options
    ohnotnow said:

That moment's look over to Sunak is interesting. Could be either a very human: "Do you know what's going on?" to a "Oh, God, he's going to help, I'd better look as though I'm doing something."

My own view on such things is that without training - which I doubt either has had - reactions are rather random. Mine certainly seem to be.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,422
    Indeed.

• Options
    edited July 2022

Indeed.

I’m out of the loop. What is he referring to?

“Experimental you know what” ??
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Nothing about cancer though.
    Yet...
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,058

ohnotnow said:

That moment's look over to Sunak is interesting. Could be either a very human: "Do you know what's going on?" to a "Oh, God, he's going to help, I'd better look as though I'm doing something."

My own view on such things is that without training - which I doubt either has had - reactions are rather random. Mine certainly seem to be.
    If he were moving, her eyes would have tracked him as she looked over, but they didn't so I would assume Sunak was standing still at that moment.
  • Options
    ping said:

Indeed.

Vaccine, I guess?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Was it that swift? She looked to someone on her right before moving.

But yes - she reacted. As I expect everyone else there did.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,422
    ping said:

Indeed.

Covid-19 vaccines.
  • Options

ping said:

Indeed.

Covid-19 vaccines.
    Right

Kassam is a dickhead.

Got it.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,926
    Chris said:

nico679 said:

Has anyone considered the possibility that she instinctively swooped down to suck the poor woman's blood?
    Or she liked Kate’s outfit and took a once in a lifetime opportunity to go over and check the label for future reference?
  • Options
    trukattrukat Posts: 19

ohnotnow said:

If he were moving, her eyes would have tracked him as she looked over, but they didn't so I would assume Sunak was standing still at that moment.
    Looked to me like she expected Rishi to do something, and when he did not she decided to help instead. Guess we will find out soon enough.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

No, a lot of people simply freeze when something truly unexpected/alarming happens. I've done it myself. Your brain is trying to work out what to do. It's not fear or callousness, you simply can't compute what you've seen

I'd say Truss reacted as fast as could be expected, given her initial, total shock (visible on her face)

• Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623

ping said:

Indeed.

Covid-19 vaccines.
    Is it worth mentioning the vaccines were a while ago now? No, probably not.
  • Options
    Leon is a fucking weirdo, I wonder if he’d like me to talk about his daughter that way
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

The point is not whether she should get credit for reacting but that she is fortunate to have been filmed doing so.
    Nobody is beatifying her for this miracle
  • Options
    Well, at least they didn't just carry on debating over the unconscious body of the host. Maybe politicians aren't quite as bad as we thought.
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,386
    ping said:

Very odd.

Rewatching the clip on the bbc - Kate McCann looked totally fine 15 seconds before, when she asked Liz the question. Not flustered or anything.

Strange.

Yes, I agree. Before the press release I would have said she may have leant on the lectern and it collapsed, shoddy staging perhaps?

Obviously the press release supercedes that.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

No, a lot of people simply freeze when something truly unexpected/alarming happens. I've done it myself. Your brain is trying to work out what to do. It's not fear or callousness, you simply can't compute what you've seen

I'd say Truss reacted as fast as could be expected, given her initial, total shock (visible on her face)

She reacted. But it didn't seem particularly swift, that's all and what we can't see is who she's looking at on her left and right and what else was happening.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    I don't wish to be a killjoy (okay, I do), but I'm not sure why I'm meant to be super impressed that a prospective Prime Minister reacts with understandable concern when somebody collapses in front of her. Indeed, my Auntie Nora would have reacted similarly, and she has no ambitions to be PM.
    I can't help feeling our expectations of human conduct are unacceptably low. Can't imagine why.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Well, at least they didn't just carry on debating over the unconscious body of the host. Maybe politicians aren't quite as bad as we thought.

Just a few more hours to wait, now, and the ambulance will be there.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

She didnt focus group her response certainly
  • Options

Leon is a fucking weirdo, I wonder if he’d like me to talk about his daughter that way

Come along CHB. Nothing that Leon ever says invloves his family.
  • Options

I don't wish to be a killjoy (okay, I do), but I'm not sure why I'm meant to be super impressed that a prospective Prime Minister reacts with understandable concern when somebody collapses in front of her. Indeed, my Auntie Nora would have reacted similarly.
    I can't help feeling our expectations of human conduct are unacceptably low. Can't imagine why.

Not really surprising given how often it is said that politicians are heartless bastards.
  • Options
    edited July 2022

I don't wish to be a killjoy (okay, I do), but I'm not sure why I'm meant to be super impressed that a prospective Prime Minister reacts with understandable concern when somebody collapses in front of her. Indeed, my Auntie Nora would have reacted similarly.

Its not particularly impressive, its normal human behaviour. But thats ths point, we dont often see human behaviour from politicians. Not because they arent but because presentation is so staged etc
    And of course like silk it shall be spun
  • Options
    Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

AIUI some freeze, and some move randomly, often into the face of danger. What makes the difference is training.

A story: two young squaddies were on a train that crashed on a Sunday night 20-30 years ago out of Paddington. Their carriage ended up on its side. They clambered out onto the top of the carriage, then went back in to help. Apparently they did as trained: they got themselves somewhere safe where they could evaluate the situation, then went back in to help. If the carriage had been on fire their evaluation may have been very different.

That's what training does. I have heard a couple of similar stories about a fireman and a paramedic, both of whom reacted in a very calm manner to an unusual situation. The latter saved the life of a neighbour's dad...

As an aside, because of the crash they were late back to barracks. The MOD said that they would not be sanctioned for being late back...
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

She reacted. But it didn't seem particularly swift, that's all and what we can't see is who she's looking at on her left and right and what else was happening.
    She clearly looks to Sunak in a Wow what do we do? way

I suppose you could criticise her for that? But this is absurd nit-picking

Fact is this will play nicely for Truss. She has an image of being wooden and unlikeable, but now millions will see her looking warm and human, if only for a few seconds. It's not going to be BAD for her
  • Options

I don't wish to be a killjoy (okay, I do), but I'm not sure why I'm meant to be super impressed that a prospective Prime Minister reacts with understandable concern when somebody collapses in front of her. Indeed, my Auntie Nora would have reacted similarly, and she has no ambitions to be PM.

Truss is a politician. Even before she stood to be PM, she would have received all sorts of nasties, including death threats - and the same goes for Sunak. *If* McCann collapsed, it could have been anything, including a gunshot. It would have been perfectly understandable for Sunak and Truss to flee. In many circumstances, that would have been the *correct* reaction.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,608

Johnson did carry on in somewhat similar circs:

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1174412/Boris-Johnson-news-latest-speech-Yorkshire-police-officer-faint-collapse-video
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,628
    edited July 2022
    Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

I'm sorry but this might seem heartless but surely you have seen dozens of people faint. It was a regular occurrence during a hot assembly at my school and I have seen a few presenters at meetings keel over. Soldiers do it all the time on parade. Hell for many of us of a certain age we saw Tommy Cooper drop dead on stage. The normal reaction is to run over and help. Truss seemed overly shocked and was pretty slow to react
  • Options
    edited July 2022

Truss is a politician. Even before she stood to be PM, she would have received all sorts of nasties, including death threats - and the same goes for Sunak. *If* McCann collapsed, it could have been anything, including a gunshot. It would have been perfectly understandable for Sunak and Truss to flee. In many circumstances, that would have been the *correct* reaction.
    I suspect you may be over-dramatising. Somebody fainted; no gunshots were heard.
    But anyway, it doesn't really merit debate.
  • Options
    kjh said:

Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

I'm sorry but this might seem heartless but surely you have seen dozens of people faint. It was a regular occurrence during a hot assembly at my school and I have seen a few presenters at meetings keel over. Soldiers do it all the time on parade. Hell for many of us of a certain age we saw Tommy Cooper drop dead on stage. The normal reaction is to run over and help. Truss seemed overly shocked and was pretty close to react
    What arrant nonsense

How often does a TV presenter faint and crash to the floor, live, during a crucial TV leaders debate?

I'll tell you how often: never

And of course there was and is always the chance of foul play, of the first incident leading to much more, perhaps poisoning, who knows. So Truss would have been feeling fear as well as shock; likwise Sunak

Jeez I know politicians can be wankers but cut them some slack when they behave decently
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,815
    nico679 said:

In Liz We Trusst!!!!!
  • Options

I suspect you may be over-dramatising. Somebody fainted; no gunshots were heard.
    Gunshots do not need to be heard; neither do some other threats. These men and women routinely receive threats, and that would play on my, and I guess your, mind. Which is why the gits send the threats.
  • Options

I think that is your inner gammon talking. That sort of If it were your daughter argument is basically an If it were your chattel thing
  • Options

Yes, precisely. That would have been my initial supposition, I reckon: something dangerous is happening
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,853
    Evening all :)

I didn't see what happened and it's obviously good to hear Kate McCann is fine. Perhaps we, as non-media people, forget how hot those studio lights can be.

I'm also musing on the possibility McCann's brain, in a desperate attempt to save herself and all of us from hearing any more inanities from the two numpties on stage, shut down. If so, a desperate act but one I think we'd all have contemplated having to hear those two drone on about tax cuts for another hour.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Liz's reaction of shock and horror was genuine. I was impressed that she rushed towards the "danger" rather than backing away from it (fight or flight response would have been telling her to back away) Well done Liz Truss.

I remember Eamonn Holmes hiding behind a contestant when Fathers4Justice invaded his BBC set live on a Saturday night years ago.

Hopefully Kate is OK.
  • Options
    I think we are going to get into a she will get credit for looking human versus she shouldnt get credit for looking human farrago here.
    Both can be the case. She will, and perhaps that is just damned unfair. Life often is.
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    Leon said:

Yes, precisely. That would have been my initial supposition, I reckon: something dangerous is happening
    Which explains the glance to Sunak: assessing if he was down too, or if he was able to help her with McCann.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Evening all :)

I didn't see what happened and it's obviously good to hear Kate McCann is fine.

God knows after the tragic business with her daughter I'm sure we all wish her well.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Liz's reaction of shock and horror was genuine. I was impressed that she rushed towards the "danger" rather than backing away from it (fight or flight response would have been telling her to back away) Well done Liz Truss.

I'm remember Eamonn Holmes hiding behind a contestant when Fathers4Justice invaded his BBC set live on a Saturday night years ago.

Hopefully Kate is OK.

Must have been a fucking huge contestant
  • Options
    LIZ TRUSS FOR QUEEN!!!
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,628

Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

AIUI some freeze, and some move randomly, often into the face of danger. What makes the difference is training.

A story: two young squaddies were on a train that crashed on a Sunday night 20-30 years ago out of Paddington. Their carriage ended up on its side. They clambered out onto the top of the carriage, then went back in to help. Apparently they did as trained: they got themselves somewhere safe where they could evaluate the situation, then went back in to help. If the carriage had been on fire their evaluation may have been very different.

That's what training does. I have heard a couple of similar stories about a fireman and a paramedic, both of whom reacted in a very calm manner to an unusual situation. The latter saved the life of a neighbour's dad...

As an aside, because of the crash they were late back to barracks. The MOD said that they would not be sanctioned for being late back...
    My wife reacted similarly when we were first on the scene of a multiple pile up. I weaved through the cars as the accident was ongoing before stopping to help. She was brilliant. I was useless. She is a doctor and I'm not. I went back and checked cars for anyone injured and/or trapped. I had a lucky escape when a car I checked was hit a few seconds later. The last car I checked was the cause of the accident. It had come over the central reservation and was on the hard shoulder so had flipped multiple lanes as well as the barrier. Two lads were trapped inside. I got my wife and she was brilliant and dealt with it until the police and ambulances arrived.
  • Options
    Leon said:

LIZ TRUSS FOR QUEEN!!!

Your views are noted.
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,774
    IanB2 said:

All eyes on Sheffield

Sorry, I’m tracking the champions league for my team’s possible opponents tonight and tomorrow
  • Options
    Leon said:

LIZ TRUSS FOR QUEEN!!!

PM, First Lord of the Treasury and nasty grazey booboo kisser
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,217
    Carnyx said:

Bit late but perhaps one for @RochdalePioneers as well as those who claim Brexit is a doddle for impex folk.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/jul/26/british-wine-wholesaler-leave-uk-over-post-brexit-paperwork

He's having to move to France:

'There he will set up a French company to export back to his own company in Wales.

He said the only way he could get around the “incredibly complicated” paperwork for importing alcohol was to establish a French company to export into the UK, and do the administration in the EU himself.

“I am doing what the government was suggesting, which is to have a company here and in Europe to mitigate the impact of Brexit,” he said. “What I’m doing will enable me to import and export into and out of the EU within the company itself, so that we mitigate all of the cost of importing into the UK.”'

And that's a lot of employment, profit and tax lost to the UK. As HMG should have knonw when they said "**** business, go away and set up elsewhere".

BTW this isn't an exaggeration. The Department for International Trade's official advice to companies where the new set-up would be an arse ache was to set up a subsidiary in the EU so that you can trade from there.

Brexit win!
  • Options
    kjh said:

Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

My wife reacted similarly when we were first on the scene of a multiple pile up. I weaved through the cars as the accident was ongoing before stopping to help. She was brilliant. I was useless. She is a doctor and I'm not. I went back and checked cars for anyone injured and/or trapped. I had a lucky escape when a car I checked was hit a few seconds later. The last car I checked was the cause of the accident. It had come over the central reservation and was on the hard shoulder so had flipped multiple lanes as well as the barrier. Two lads were trapped inside. I got my wife and she was brilliant and dealt with it until the police and ambulances arrived.
    Crikey. That's quite a story
  • Options
    edited July 2022

GIN1138 said:

I'm remember Eamonn Holmes hiding behind a contestant when Fathers4Justice invaded his BBC set live on a Saturday night years ago.

Hopefully Kate is OK.

Must have been a fucking huge contestant
    LOL! Was an elderly lady from what I can remember. He was cowering behind her.
This discussion has been closed.