Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Truss dominates Sunak in the polling except the key one? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Sunak needs to keep off the subject of his childrens inheritances
  • Options
    Both of them have a serious problem connecting with the public, I can't eat.

"Red tape and tax cuts".

"I still can't eat"
  • Options
    "Based on those YouGov findings Rishi Sunak’s leadership ambitions are as doomed as stepmother’s chances in succeeding in a Disney film yet there is one morsel of comfort for him."

Enchanted says hello. Disney Princess becomes a loving stepmother.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,916
    Cyclefree said:

Off topic but may be of interests to geologists on here.

I have acquired some 600 square metres of land which I am very very slowly turning into a garden and potager etc. it is currently wild and this week NW Electricity have started the process of removing an electricity pole on the land and laying the connection in an underground cable. It is hard work because the rock under the land (and we are on a hill) is dolerite, which is a sort of volcanic-like - and incredibly hard - rock, as you can see below.

Raised beds in the potager anyway. Even digging up a small bed in the front garden brought up quantities of the stuff. Imagine doing 600 sq mtrs!!

I hope you're paying to have the cable buried, given the costs of doing it!
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,849
    Sunak is better here; less shouty; more persuasive than Truss

But it is too late for him
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,767
    HYUFD said:

sarissa said:

FPT - if we are heading to a new Elizabethan era, and given that a generation is much shorter, will we see Indyref 2 next month?

No both Truss and Sunak oppose the UK government recognising an indyref2 before a generation has elapsed
    Glad to see your sense of humour bypass op went well…
  • Options
    omfggggg
  • Options
    hahah oh god
    oh god
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    What's happened?!
  • Options
    wtf WAS THAT
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,910
    WTF
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,642
    edited July 2022
    Late to the game, but given the leadership contest is done and dusted already and we're just going to see 5 weeks of Sunak looking desperate and its not worth looking at, that Cruddas story would be hilarious were it not so stupid and worrying.

My favourite line from the story was this:

Lord Cruddas said he felt ashamed the PM could be ousted in Britain, adding Britons live in a country he can barely recognise any longer

Since it reveals quite clearly he has not the slightest idea how the country works, and so he is saying he barely recognises the reality from the fantasy Britain he has invented in his head where PMs could not be ousted by their party. I mean, what are they even legally challenging - he stated he would be resigning, thus a vacancy emerged, end of.

It's just so histrionic it is barely believable - why would anyone worship any politician so much, nevermind Boris Johnson?
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    What?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,027
    Did the presenter collapse?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Bit late but perhaps one for @RochdalePioneers as well as those who claim Brexit is a doddle for impex folk.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/jul/26/british-wine-wholesaler-leave-uk-over-post-brexit-paperwork

He's having to move to France:

'There he will set up a French company to export back to his own company in Wales.

He said the only way he could get around the “incredibly complicated” paperwork for importing alcohol was to establish a French company to export into the UK, and do the administration in the EU himself.

“I am doing what the government was suggesting, which is to have a company here and in Europe to mitigate the impact of Brexit,” he said. “What I’m doing will enable me to import and export into and out of the EU within the company itself, so that we mitigate all of the cost of importing into the UK.”'

And that's a lot of employment, profit and tax lost to the UK. As HMG should have knonw when they said "**** business, go away and set up elsewhere".

That's the same whinging individual who has been quoted a thousand times before.

If everyone is struggling, why is it always the same moaning FBPE bugger with an EU flag on his handle that is the goto to be quoted instead of thousands of different individuals all complaining?
  • Options
    ohnotnow said:

WTF

The stage collapsed????
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,294
    edited July 2022
    Just rewound it and has somebody collapsed in the audience? Truss went to see if they were ok.
  • Options

I think the podium she was on?

Jesus
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,045
    edited July 2022
    Here's a thought. If we assume that Truss is the next Tory prime minister, let's look at the last four. Cameron, May , Johnson and Truss. Now imagine they had been elected as new MPs in 1979 how would they have fared in their careers? The only one I can envisage making it to the cabinet is Cameron and even there I'm not entirely convinced. It is hard to imagine the other 3 getting beyond junior ministerial roles.

At some point we are going to have to think seriously about the calibre of our leaders. I'm not actually that critical of MPs in general but there are 650 of them and you would expect the cream to be rising to the top. That doesn't seem to be happening.
  • Options
    Other than WTF, I was just typing out that Rishi is way over-using the 'Like all Sun Readers...' line. Couple of times felt genuine, the 10th time feels like 'pump the line!'.
  • Options

Just rewound it and has somebody collapsed in the audience?

Something really quite bad happened, or at least something crazy. Truss' face!
  • Options

"Based on those YouGov findings Rishi Sunak’s leadership ambitions are as doomed as stepmother’s chances in succeeding in a Disney film yet there is one morsel of comfort for him."

So something like a 1 in 50 chance?
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 595
    Leon said:

Jesus
    Maybe both.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Jesus
    Did sound like the podium - but Liz's "Oh my god" does make me wonder if the presenter fainted (or something similar).

This is 10x more exciting than the debate!
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,211
    kle4 said:

So something like a 1 in 50 chance?
    :lol:
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,647

Here's a thought. If we assume that Truss is the next Tory prime minister, let's look at the last four. Cameron, May , Johnson and Truss. Now imagine they had been elected as new MPs in 1979 how would they have fared in their careers? The only one I can envisage making it to the cabinet is Cameron and even there I'm not entirely convinced. It is hard to imagine the other 3 getting beyond junior ministerial roles.

At some point we are going to have to think seriously about the calibre of our leaders. I'm not actually that critical of MPs in general but there are 650 of them and you would expect the cream to be rising to the top. That doesn't seem to be happening.

The electorate consistently reward politicians for lying about the future and blaming others for the present. How should ambitious politicians react to these rewards? Boris and Trump are just pre-runners of what we should expect unless the electorate somehow gets a grip themselves.
  • Options
    Some saying the ceiling or a lighting rig fell on Kate McCann

Nasty. Shocking. Hope she's ok
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,242
    BBC's take:-
    A moment of disruption while Liz Truss answers a question about the UK's support for Ukraine amid the Russian invasion.

It appears a podium has been knocked over, but we don't know for sure. Truss looks panicked as a loud crash is heard in the studio.
  • Options
    Leon said:
    Blimey, sounded bad. Some set designer will be looking for a new job tomorrow.
  • Options
    Leon said:
    Something falling from the ceiling?
  • Options

Has anyone else noticed how team PB Johnson/ Truss is painting Sunak to be as useless a loser as they have painted Starmer over the last two years?

I certainly think they have decided who is the next Conservative Party Leader.

Sun internet feed gonje down

Whoever said Keir needed to be *painted* as a useless loser? The only development is, Sunak has come in to his own as a Keir grade bore. Liz for the lolz is my position, cos I can't bear the thought of a sunak starmer pmqs.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Leon said:
    Yes. I think a lighting rig
  • Options
    I'm now hearing the Eastenders 'Dum-dum-du-du-du-duh' in my head.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,913
    Truss going over to help probably won't damage her chances.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,466
    What happened there? Sounded like a microphone falling over.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040
    Leon said:

Jeez this is dull

The format yesterday was miles better

It’s truly unbelievable that we could have PM Truss in a few weeks time. Just reflect on that. PM Truss. WTF!!!!!

The UK’s journey from latrine to sewer will be complete in a few years time.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

A lot more than a microphone. That crashing sound was LOUD
  • Options
    edited July 2022

Truss going over to help probably won't damage her chances.

She's so far ahead unless she caused an accident I think her chances are hard to budge. But chances to look actually human are rare for top line politicians. See Javid convincing that reporting to get a booster on air.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Leon said:
    Liz looked like she was a bit 'is she ok?' just before it.
  • Options
    I wasn't watching as after yesterday I didn't think anything interesting would happen.

Guess that was wrong.

Hope everyone's OK.
  • Options
    Cool. She reacts, recovers and then ADVANCES to investigate before it all cuts out. The new Ellen Ripley.

Bye bye Sunak. Game over.
  • Options

I wasn't watching as after yesterday I didn't think anything interesting would happen.

Guess that was wrong.

Hope everyone's OK.

You missed the best TV in the history of TV
  • Options
    murali_s said:

Leon said:

Jeez this is dull

The format yesterday was miles better

It’s truly unbelievable that we could have PM Truss in a few weeks time. Just reflect on that. PM Truss. WTF!!!!!

The UK’s journey from latrine to sewer will be complete in a few years time.
    Fatal last words, but purely on a personal morals and standards level she would be hard pressed to be worse. So even if policies were no better or even worse, it's still an improvement.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Sounded terrible on times radio.

Immediately I thought the worst.

High profile event could it have been targeted?

Who knows. Whatever it was, I hope it was an accident.
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522

Carnyx said:

Bit late but perhaps one for @RochdalePioneers as well as those who claim Brexit is a doddle for impex folk.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/jul/26/british-wine-wholesaler-leave-uk-over-post-brexit-paperwork

He's having to move to France:

'There he will set up a French company to export back to his own company in Wales.

He said the only way he could get around the “incredibly complicated” paperwork for importing alcohol was to establish a French company to export into the UK, and do the administration in the EU himself.

“I am doing what the government was suggesting, which is to have a company here and in Europe to mitigate the impact of Brexit,” he said. “What I’m doing will enable me to import and export into and out of the EU within the company itself, so that we mitigate all of the cost of importing into the UK.”'

And that's a lot of employment, profit and tax lost to the UK. As HMG should have knonw when they said "**** business, go away and set up elsewhere".

That's the same whinging individual who has been quoted a thousand times before.

If everyone is struggling, why is it always the same moaning FBPE bugger with an EU flag on his handle that is the goto to be quoted instead of thousands of different individuals all complaining?
    There are so many questions left unanswered by that article, but that's definitely high up the list.

It sounds like he's decided to do his own logistics because the freight forwarders were ripping him off. Tbh I wouldn't be surprised if they were overcharging him in part because he was making their lives difficult at least as much as customs were. He's still going to have to do the same paperwork for cross-channel shipment, surely.

HS codes have of course long been familiar to people who export outside the EU, such as to Norway and the Channel Islands. It can be a bit of a pain to categorise your inventory but you should only need to do it once.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

I was listening to the TV rather than watching it, heard that very loud bang, the look of horror on the face of Liz Truss (and the Oh my god) was like something very bad has happened.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,466
    I hope everyone's okay in the Talk Radio studio.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Arj Singh
    @singharj
    ·
    2m
    News UK spokeswoman: "There's been a medical issue, it's not a security issue and the candidates are okay" - "if we can get back on air we will"
  • Options
    It sounds like something detaching from something else and then the sound of it crashing to the ground.
  • Options

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

I was listening to the TV rather than watching it, heard that very loud bang, the look of horror on the face of Liz Truss (and the Oh my god) was like something very bad has happened.
    May just be very jumpy, hopefully.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,124

Liz Truss argues that increase in NHS rise should be funded from general taxation - "we did have that money available in our budget". For better or worse, a major repudiation of Tory orthodoxy on the public finances.

Wut

I answered this on another thread. Cabinet collective responsibility means ministers have to support government policy or leave cabinet.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932
    Arj Singh
    @singharj
    News UK spokeswoman: "There's been a medical issue, it's not a security issue and the candidates are okay" - "if we can get back on air we will"

But a medical issue doesn’t create a loud crashing noise
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    ping said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Sounded terrible on times radio.

Immediately I thought the worst.

High profile event could it have been targeted?

Who knows. Whatever it was, I hope it was an accident.
    It didn't sound anything like a bomb or an attack, and it happened right where the presenter was standing (judging by Truss' reaction). So hopefully just a nasty accident with a podium/rig, but no one badly hurt

Quite alarming tho
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Cool. She reacts, recovers and then ADVANCES to investigate before it all cuts out. The new Ellen Ripley.

When things go your way...... i mean im hoping Kate is OK of course but Truss getting to be Mumma Bear whilst Robot Rishi has an aide assist (after getting him a coffee) etc etc
  • Options
    eek said:

Arj Singh
    @singharj

It does if she falls on the lectern knocking it over.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    eek said:

Arj Singh
    @singharj

It does if someone collapses on something.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    eek said:

Arj Singh
    @singharj

It could do, if someone collapsed into the set.
  • Options

Arj Singh
    @singharj
    ·
    2m

Phew.

Hope everyone’s ok.
  • Options
    edited July 2022

Liz Truss argues that increase in NHS rise should be funded from general taxation - "we did have that money available in our budget". For better or worse, a major repudiation of Tory orthodoxy on the public finances.

Wut

I answered this on another thread. Cabinet collective responsibility means ministers have to support government policy or leave cabinet.
    So why didn't she? It's a pretty major series of policy failures she seems to be identifying, the sort of thing she supposedly feels strongly about. And it's still a repudiation, even with collective responsibility - she cannot simultaneously claim it was an incredible government and also that it has royally f*cked up on major policy issues, when maintaining that policy is apparently beyond the pale.

Or at least she shouldn't be able to simultaneously claim it.
  • Options
    I'm quite glad I'd already poured myself a (very) stiff gin to make it through the show.
  • Options
    A medical issue? A heart attack?

Then why the awful crashing sound?
  • Options
    Did McCann have a podium near her for water etc.? Perhaps she stumbled and fell through something.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,882
    Leon said:

Cos you have a clip on mic and fall into the set.
  • Options
    Leon said:

If it was the host who is mic'd up hitting something that could cause a crashing sound.
  • Options
    eek said:

Arj Singh
    @singharj

But things which create a loud crashing noise are also capable of causing medical issues.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Did McCann have a podium near her for water etc.? Perhaps she stumbled and fell through something.

She did.

• Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    eek said:

Arj Singh
    @singharj

Unless she fainted and that caused something she was connected to to fall?
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Leon said:

Ah yes. Good point. But the crash does sound loud and studio-wide? Who knows

I was just saying it was boring, as well
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Wut

So why didn't she? It's a pretty major series of policy failures she seems to be identifying, the sort of thing she supposedly feels strongly about. And it's still a repudiation, even with collective responsibility - she cannot simultaneously claim it was an incredible government and also that it has royally f*cked up on major policy issues, when maintaining that policy is apparently beyond the pale.

Of course you can. You can think its better to remain inside the tent making your case than going to the backbenches handing more power to those who don't think like you.
  • Options
    The youtube stream has gone live with TalkTV - presenter says the interview/Q&A is now carrying on in the studio - just not being broadcast.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,882
    People are going to go mad analysing that little look over to Sunak, followed by the rush to help.

I'll start - Sunak reacted like a fighter pilot and Truss took his lead. Sub.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,884
    Leon said:

The irony is that they have the perfect person in the studio to inspect all bindings, safety chains, ropes etc are secure.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 595

IshmaelZ said:

When things go your way...... i mean im hoping Kate is OK of course but Truss getting to be Mumma Bear whilst Robot Rishi has an aide assist (after getting him a coffee) etc etc
    The camera was on Truss, for all we know Rishi might have rushed over first.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,242
    edited July 2022
    Leon said:

Eabhal said:

Leon said:

Ah yes. Good point. But the crash does sound loud and studio-wide? Who knows

I was just saying it was boring, as well
    Ian Collins said it is continuing in studio.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

She did.

Pretty hard to fall over anything there, unless the poor lady just collapsed

I'm going to guess something fell from that ceiling....
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,267
    Don't know what happened there but the only thing that will be remembered now is Truss's reaction to it.
  • Options
    8:48
    BREAKING
    Presenter 'fainted and collapsed'
    A well informed source has told the BBC the Tory debate crashed off air because presenter Kate McCann is understood to have fainted and collapsed. She was presenting alone, after Harry Cole pulled out with Covid.

We'll bring you more when we have it.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    New TV station. Wouldn't be a huge surprise if something has gone wrong with the set.

EDIT: If that rumour about McCann collapsing is true, fingers crossed it was just from the heat of the set and she'll make a full and speedy recovery.
  • Options
    edited July 2022

kle4 said:

Wut

Of course you can. You can think its better to remain inside the tent making your case than going to the backbenches handing more power to those who don't think like you.
    No, I don't buy it. You can claim that for some smaller things, or even a significant thing or two, but she seems to be arguing all the governments she served under were fundamentally in error about how to address basic economic problems. At a certain level the 'stay in the tent' argument does not work (and I bet people do not extend that courtesy to, say, Keir Starmer).

At that point you are just making things worse by staying in the tent, since she apparently had zero success in changing that economic direction in 8 years.

This is not a case of 'I was not in favour of raising implenting policy A, but on balance better to stay as we were doing good' it is 'We were completely wrong this whole time'. What person stays backing fundamental policies they disagree with, especially as they haven't made their case at all during that period it seems?
  • Options
    Leon said:
    Right at the end of that you can hear a groan that sounds like I would if I'd just fainted an fallen badly. Though obviously I would be terribly stoic about such things and certainly wouldn't wee myself and cry 'till Liz told me I was a brave boy.
  • Options
    dodrade said:

IshmaelZ said:

Yes i know but the camera was on Truss. When things go your way..... what was seen was her going to help.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,174
    PM Viktor Orbán's long-time adviser, Zsuzsa Hegedüs resigns, telling his boss in a letter that "I don't know how you didn't notice that you were turning your earlier anti-migrant and anti-Europeanism into a pure Nazi speech worthy of Goebbels”

https://twitter.com/panyiszabolcs/status/1551908898575196160
  • Options
    Is she claiming we were wrong on everything? Especially since she was Foreign Secretary and seems to be saying she agrees with our Foreign Policy.

The tax rises were less than a year ago. Her policy is to go back to the prior rates promised to be kept by the Manifesto so not 8 years.
  • Options

BREAKING
    A well informed source has told the BBC the Tory debate crashed off air because presenter Kate McCann is understood to have fainted and collapsed. She was presenting alone, after Harry Cole pulled out with Covid.

God speed and good health to Ms McCann

Covid?
  • Options
    dodrade said:

IshmaelZ said:

Could be, but lacking visuals it'll be easy for the joke to be made. wooliedyed's already done it, and you can bet there are others floating around, like how Sunal wouldn't even have paused in his delivery or something.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,826
    Leon said:
    Sunak fallen off the crate that makes him look as tall as Liz!!
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Just tune into PB as the Scillonian arrives in Penzance to see this leadership election to achieve new levels of weirdness.
  • Options
    With my cynical hat on - I wouldn't put it past Murdoch to have arranged this to give TalkTV a million times more publicity than it's had until now.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,174
    Jonathan said:

Just tune into PB as the Scillonian arrives in Penzance to see this leadership election to achieve new levels of weirdness.

Is it still famously-sickness-inducing, or better now? I’d love to go, but I very prone to seasickness.
  • Options
    Leon said:
    I wouldn't say its OK until we hear McCann is OK.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

That was the best TV leader debate EVER
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    carnforth said:

Jonathan said:

Is it still famously-sickness-inducing, or better now? I’d love to go, but I very prone to seasickness.
    Dozens enjoying sick bags. Fortunately I managed to avoid that. But well worth it.
  • Options

Leon said:
    I wouldn't say its OK until we hear McCann is OK.
    Guido is claiming McCann is OK
  • Options
    Leon said:

BREAKING

God speed and good health to Ms McCann

Covid?
    Possible if she'd been working on this with the Tubby Cuck before he pulled out with it
  • Options

dodrade said:

IshmaelZ said:

Yes i know but the camera was on Truss. When things go your way..... what was seen was her going to help.
    Quite. It wasn't Bob Dole's fault that railing gave way.
  • Options
    Also, is this a cruel trick to make us leave the stream running and see Piers Morgan's show? Ffs.
  • Options
    Julia Hartley-Brewer
    @JuliaHB1
    Ok. I've been told that
    @KateEMcCann
    is ok. That's all I know.

https://twitter.com/JuliaHB1/status/1551987166061989891
This discussion has been closed.