Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Truss dominates Sunak in the polling except the key one? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,313
    IshmaelZ said:

moonshine said:

So a final against Germany or France.

Time to back the Germans, losing at the soccer to the Germans is part of the English football psyche.

Losing to France would be a national embarrassment.

Isn’t it sexist to apply the failure of the English man football patriarchy to the Lionesses?

Separately, is the cringey ‘Lionesses’ a late marketing ploy or were they always known as that?

African* name, innit!

(* also some lions live in western India)
    There used to be wild lions stalking Yorkshire and London. 13k years ago mind.
    Yes, wild animals don't naturally live in exotic places, they just get pushed out. Just as aboriginal Australians don't live in the outback by choice
    Whose choice do they live there by?
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

IshmaelZ said:

moonshine said:

Time to back the Germans, losing at the soccer to the Germans is part of the English football psyche.

Isn’t it sexist to apply the failure of the English man football patriarchy to the Lionesses?

Separately, is the cringey ‘Lionesses’ a late marketing ploy or were they always known as that?

African* name, innit!

Yes, wild animals don't naturally live in exotic places, they just get pushed out. Just as aboriginal Australians don't live in the outback by choice
    Whose choice do they live there by?
    Da white man, innit
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,592
    edited July 2022
    moonshine said:

African* name, innit!

West country too. The Mendip and Devon bone caves have lion remains.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,581
    So it appears that The Truss exudes so much sex that any woman within an 8 metre radius has such an intense orgasm that she faints.

The BBC knew this, and kept Sophie Raworth 10 metres away.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,945
    Carnyx said:

moonshine said:

African* name, innit!

Amazed to discover there were tigers too.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274

Cookie said:

To my untrained eye, women's football is very entertaining. The technical levels of skill seem very good in a way that you don't see so much in the men's game. I'm not claiming the women are more skilful, but something about the way the game is played - more space, less physical, smaller players- lets skill show more.
    Also, the goalies are smaller. Men's football would be much more entertaining if goalies could be no taller than 5'9''.
    I don't feel strongly about who wins. I'd like to see England win but it won't make me sad if they don't. But it's easier to enjoy a game you don't feel strongly about when the potch isn't full of utterly horrible people constantly cheating.
    I find the BBC presentation irritating - they appear to be furiously fighting a battle for acceptance that has already been won without having to fight. But BBC coverage of all sport is irritating; the only interesting thing is finding precisely which way they will irritate you.
    People who know more about football than me say this view is rubbish however.
    That was a very skilful goal though.

One problem with mens football is literally every kick of every game that has more than one man and his dog attending is captured and analysed to the nth degree. So there are no surprises and even lesser nations are now professional enough, well coached, well drilled and able to use all of this info to at the very least come up with a set of tactics to minimise their opponents opportunities.

This is particular bad at international level. You watch England play any smaller nation and its park the bus from min 0 until min 90. Now should England do better, yes, it is a criticism of Southgate conservative style, but all these teams purchase in-depth tactical analytical info (in fact the likes of Statsbomb even now provide people to come to your team and do all the technical side for you).

The women's game is nowhere near as sophificated as this, more uneven, but it makes for a more open and enjoyable game.
    Should add...in order to break down highly organised, well drilled, very knowledgeable teams, you need to develop much more complex and fluid attacking approaches. If you listen to how Man City are drilled its mind boggling complex, not something you can knock together doing a few training sessions before a Euro / World Cup. I think Liverpool say they are willing to wait a year for a new player to really bed in and learn their systems.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    dixiedean said:

Carnyx said:

moonshine said:

African* name, innit!

Yeah. No reason to think the climate worries tigers any more than it worries domestic cats.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,966
    dixiedean said:

Carnyx said:

moonshine said:

African* name, innit!

Still cougars in the wild, and their stepchildren.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    I think we are seeing the issue of organisation / analysis vs lack of time to develop really complex attacking in rugby. So many matches appear to be these wars of attrition (see recent England vs Australia).
  • Options
    JACK_WJACK_W Posts: 651
    Leon said:

PICTURE QUIZ

Where is this? No googling

Even the reptiles have had enough as crocodile flees from Truss/Sunak underwater debate on National Geographic Channel.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,572
    moonshine said:

African* name, innit!

Wasn't 13k years ago still in the the last ice age?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,470
    The Barking Riverside riverboat pier opened a couple of months ago. Just a short walk from the station.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,532
    Carnyx said:

moonshine said:

African* name, innit!

We should reintroduce them, to control the beavers.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,865
    Oh fuck

Boris Johnson tipped to become next secretary general of Nato https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/07/26/boris-johnson-tipped-become-next-secretary-general-nato/
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    Scott_xP said:
    Tipped by who? If it's just his backers then there is hardly a serious prospect of it actually happening.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845
    Scott_xP said:
    As if.

He’d personably accidentally trigger Article 5 mid coitus with a t-girl from Omsk.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Scott_xP said:
    We get this nonsense every time a PM goes. Wasn't Gordo "tipped" to run the world of banking. Osborne was the same.
  • Options
    edited July 2022

moonshine said:

African* name, innit!

Wasn't 13k years ago still in the the last ice age?
    As IshmaelZ points out.
    We have plenty of cats around now.
    It's not the climate that stops them being here.
  • Options

Yesterday I visited Barking Riverside, London's newest station, though it actually opened back on the 18th during the heatwave. Anyway, kept up my 100% record of visiting every station in Greater London!

Complete set here

Not exactly a tourist hotspot!

BTW, have you done the Northallerton avoiding lines and the York avoider? Both now have scheduled passenger trains over them.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    He has been doing some cosplay (when not at parties with former FSB agents):

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/boris-johnson-hurls-grenade-during-27557072
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,645

I've decided to give you a thread on Scottish independence in the morning.

I know we probably deserved that punishment, but why exactly?
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,545
    COVID lab leak theory proven wrong: infections started in the market

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-62307383
  • Options

Interesting that the location of the lab is not marked on the map.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,298
    kle4 said:

Nobody said anything about this intro from the weekend thread.

The prospect of Boris Johnson returning for a second stint as Prime Minister fills me with a sense of foreboding that is only matched by when my girlfriend asks to borrow my mobile phone or laptop but we have to brace ourselves for those scenarios happening.
  • Options
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/07/26/liz-truss-targets-20-per-cent-cut-crime-2024

Still worst then Labour achieved. So undoing 10 years of failure
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,104
    edited July 2022

I thought one of the possible ways in which it could have leaked from the lab was via infected lab animals illicitly sold to the market by a lab worker?

So it wouldn't have to be either the market or the lab.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,966
    edited July 2022
    Scott_xP said:
    George 'kill Nationalism stone dead' Robertson > Secretary General of UN
    Boris 'Minister for the Union' Johnson > ?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Completely the other side of the river.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

RobD said:

But within the confines of the map.
  • Options
    Liz Truss on Tuesday night unveiled a target to cut crime by 20 per cent in the next two and a half years if she becomes prime minister.

The Tory leadership frontrunner would demand that a police officer visits the scene of every burglary following concerns that forces are not doing enough to focus on crimes that affect ordinary people.

In an attempt to crack down on the “woke” agenda, Ms Truss would ban police training that focuses on identity politics and reduce the amount of time officers spend investigating comments made on Twitter.
  • Options
    Love from my mate’s garden 💕

• Options
    edited July 2022
    "Almost half of Tory voters do not want Boris Johnson to quit
    Polling reveals Tory voters are split on Prime Minister’s resignation, with results also showing ‘positive view of his legacy’
    Christopher Hope"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/07/26/almost-half-tory-voters-do-not-want-boris-johnson-resign-new/
  • Options

kle4 said:

Nobody said anything about this intro from the weekend thread.

The prospect of Boris Johnson returning for a second stint as Prime Minister fills me with a sense of foreboding that is only matched by when my girlfriend asks to borrow my mobile phone or laptop but we have to brace ourselves for those scenarios happening.
    I thought it was very witty but when I was halfway through typing a post to that effect, Mrs P. stole my laptop to check her ebay bids or somesuch.
  • Options
    RobD said:

If you read the article, the early cases even trace to a certain part of the market, and the two lineages started a week apart.

• Options
    Foxy said:

RobD said:

If you read the article, the early cases even trace to a certain part of the market, and the two lineages started a week apart.

Yebbut some of us aren't interested in that sort of boring detail.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

RobD said:

Yes, but as has already been mentioned, this just shows where the first big outbreaks where. It does not tell you the origin.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Lab location marked with a pink X.

Looks pretty obvious that the virus spread from the market, but did it get to the market from the lab?

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,213
    Andy_JS said:

The Barking Riverside riverboat pier opened a couple of months ago. Just a short walk from the station.

Yes, that's right. Unfortunately ,on weekdays it has no boat service between 11am and 5pm.
  • Options
    Newsnight talking about the coming gas crisis.

There's no doubt IMO that most business premises and residential properties are overheated in the winter. It shouldn't be a problem to reduce the level of heating by a considerable amount to save energy.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Carnyx said:

RobD said:

But within the confines of the map.
    15km away from the market though
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

RobD said:

Just seems odd that the location of a research laboratory studying coronaviruses that is a few blocks away from this market was only mentioned in passing.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

RobD said:

Just seems odd that the location of a research laboratory studying coronaviruses that is a few blocks away from this market was only mentioned in passing.
    15km away
  • Options
    Glad Kate Mc is ok
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,378
    Foxy said:

RobD said:

Yes, but @Leon doesn’t like the cut of Worobey’s jib, and the article has been debunked because … reasons.

• Options
    Do you really believe the Chinese government?
  • Options

RobD said:

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

RobD said:

15km away
    The mere fact it can be shown in the map along with the first outbreak cluster is already suspicious.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Andy_JS said:

"Almost half of Tory voters do not want Boris Johnson to quit
    Polling reveals Tory voters are split on Prime Minister’s resignation, with results also showing ‘positive view of his legacy’
    Christopher Hope"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/07/26/almost-half-tory-voters-do-not-want-boris-johnson-resign-new/

Hmm,

'Senior Conservatives have privately voiced scepticism about a poll demanding party members be given a vote on the removal of Boris Johnson, after the party’s headquarters found fewer than half of a sample of signatories were party members.

The authors of the petition have said addresses and membership numbers provided by the signatories are undergoing stringent checks and that Conservative campaign headquarters (CCHQ) has not yet received the vast majority of the signatories. The website Conservative Post, which organised the petition, said it was being overseen by a team of experienced professionals.

[...]

However, the Guardian understands CCHQ has sampled a few hundred names asking for Johnson’s reinstatement and the majority were not party members. Organisers say CCHQ is yet to receive the bulk of the names and that its sampling would not be representative.'

I would have thought a sample of n = 300 giving a reasonably large percentage result would be pretty indicative ...

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/jul/26/senior-tories-privately-dismiss-petition-to-reinstate-boris-johnson

• Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    Tomorrow’s Mail headline is “AIR POLLUTION A LIKELY CAUSE OF DEMENTIA”

What are the chances that Thursday will be “LIZ PROMISES 10P CUT ON FUEL FOR HARD-PRESSED MOTORISTS”?
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

RobD said:

15km away
    The mere fact it can be shown in the map along with the first outbreak cluster is already suspicious.
    Of all the markets in all of China the outbreak happened at one in the same city as an Institute of Virology studying Coronaviruses.

Doesn't seem far-fetched to suppose that a lab worker tasked with disposing of infected animals decided to sell them to the market instead of having them incinerated.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

RobD said:

Yes, but @Leon doesn’t like the cut of Worobey’s jib, and the article has been debunked because … reasons.

It was a different and much earlier article that was disliked before. This is a new pair of studies.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

RobD said:

15km away
    But you accept it's not "a few blocks away" from the market?

It's further way than Brixton is from Hampstead Heath.

The way this has often been portrayed is that the lab backs on to the market, which is clearly not true.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Foxy said:

RobD said:

Yes, but as has already been mentioned, this just shows where the first big outbreaks where. It does not tell you the origin.
    Not just the first big outbreak, but the first outbreak.

It is impossible to be certain of the origin, but a very plausible peer reviewed scientific analysis of the earliest cases.

The correct action should be to shut down such markets of live wild animals.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited July 2022
    Randox

Profits in the 18 months to June 2020: £1.2m

After their Tory mates shovelled Covid contracts their way, can you guess what their profits were the following year?

Go on, have a guess…

x10?
    x50?
    x100?

Keep going…

x147.5

https://www.cips.org/supply-management/news/2022/july/why-watchdog-has-no-confidence-over-award-of-777m-covid-contracts/

Their investment in Owen Paterson came good. These tory MPs should put up their rates. They’re selling themselves cheap!
  • Options

Tomorrow’s Mail headline is “AIR POLLUTION A LIKELY CAUSE OF DEMENTIA”

What are the chances that Thursday will be “LIZ PROMISES 10P CUT ON FUEL FOR HARD-PRESSED MOTORISTS”?

Daily Mail a likely cause of dementia!!
    Liz Truss demands an immediate cut off fuel duty to fund a 50p decrease in the price of her hagiographic tabloid of choice.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

RobD said:

15km away
    But you accept it's not "a few blocks away" from the market?

It's further way than Brixton is from Hampstead Heath.

The way this has often been portrayed is that the lab backs on to the market, which is clearly not true.
    Google maps says that it's less than 30 minutes drive between the two. Compared to the scale of China that qualifies as close.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924

I thought one of the possible ways in which it could have leaked from the lab was via infected lab animals illicitly sold to the market by a lab worker?

Quite. There are many ways that it could be both the market and the lab. It could also be either one. Or even, for that matter, neither.

There is no *proof*, there is only suspicion.

And it is a remarkable coincidence that the one place in China where bat viruses are studied should happen to have a severe outbreak of a bat virus.
  • Options
    edited July 2022

Do you really believe the Chinese government?

No, but have you read the scientific papers?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793

So I guess it really was just a complete coincidence that a deadly new Coronavirus happened to appear in a sea food market opposite a lab where they were testing on bat Coronavirus?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

RobD said:

15km away
    I can show the lab on the same map as Elon Musk's house in Texas. Coincidence???
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    Andy_JS said:

There's no doubt IMO that most business premises and residential properties are overheated in the winter. It shouldn't be a problem to reduce the level of heating by a considerable amount to save energy.

Most people surely set the thermostat to 18 or so ?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

RobD said:

Foxy said:

RobD said:

Not just the first big outbreak, but the first outbreak.

It is impossible to be certain of the origin, but a very plausible peer reviewed scientific analysis of the earliest cases.

The correct action should be to shut down such markets of live wild animals.
    I would shut down such markets. They're a clear risk for the transfer of new viruses to humans.

The question of how the infected animals found their way to the market remains. Those animals may have come from the lab.

That doesn't mean the Chinese deliberately leaked the virus, and are consequently culpable for the pandemic. It means you also want to take action to tighten up on biosecurity in Virology labs.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

So I guess it really was just a complete coincidence that a deadly new Coronavirus happened to appear in a sea food market opposite a lab where they were testing on bat Coronavirus?
    Not opposite - 15km away!
  • Options
    edited July 2022

Yesterday I visited Barking Riverside, London's newest station, though it actually opened back on the 18th during the heatwave. Anyway, kept up my 100% record of visiting every station in Greater London!

Complete set here

Not exactly a tourist hotspot!

BTW, have you done the Northallerton avoiding lines and the York avoider? Both now have scheduled passenger trains over them.
    Next targets for me are the West Midlands Metro to Edgbaston (opened on the 17th), and Clitheroe to Hellifield (Sundays only, easier to do in both directions from September 18th).

Other upcoming lines:

The missing bits to the Elizabeth line
    Blackpool Tram to Blackpool North.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

RobD said:

15km away
    I can show the lab on the same map as Elon Musk's house in Texas. Coincidence???
    It is well known that Elon Musk's house is opposite the Huanan Market.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Andy_JS said:

My brother in law does. Always bloody freezing in their house.

Ours sits at 21.5 overnight, cranked up in the morning.
  • Options

RobD said:

Lab location marked with a pink X.

Looks pretty obvious that the virus spread from the market, but did it get to the market from the lab?

Worth adding that there are many orange dots on the map that are further from the market than the lab, so it's really easy to imagine a worker at the lab being the link between the two locations, and the market acting as a superspreader venue.
  • Options
    edited July 2022

Pulpstar said:

Andy_JS said:

My brother in law does. Always bloody freezing in their house.

Ours sits at 21.5 overnight, cranked up in the morning.
    21 chez Pointer; 23 in the bathroom.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

RobD said:

15km away
    The same map used in the BBC article? Otherwise I'm not sure what your point is.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Andy_JS said:

We set our thermostat to 17-ish, but when we tested the accuracy of the thermostat it was actually clicking on at 20, and so our thermostat was misleading us to our degree of frugality.

I am busy knitting to prepare for winter.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,157

Cyclefree said:

Off topic but may be of interests to geologists on here.

I have acquired some 600 square metres of land which I am very very slowly turning into a garden and potager etc. it is currently wild and this week NW Electricity have started the process of removing an electricity pole on the land and laying the connection in an underground cable. It is hard work because the rock under the land (and we are on a hill) is dolerite, which is a sort of volcanic-like - and incredibly hard - rock, as you can see below.

Raised beds in the potager anyway. Even digging up a small bed in the front garden brought up quantities of the stuff. Imagine doing 600 sq mtrs!!

I hope you're paying to have the cable buried, given the costs of doing it!
    Certainly not. I gave notice under the Wayleave I had. They then asked if they could bury it underground and we negotiated a new agreement. They are paying me!
  • Options
    If forced I prefer a cold to overhot.
    That's convenient for me. Not necessarily for others.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Quite. There are many ways that it could be both the market and the lab. It could also be either one. Or even, for that matter, neither.

There is no *proof*, there is only suspicion.

And it is a remarkable coincidence that the one place in China where bat viruses are studied should happen to have a severe outbreak of a bat virus.
    That's my take as well. Unlike what the article suggests, this doesn't actually prove anything.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

You believe studies that rely on Chinese data? More fool you, I guess.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,882
    I'm not invested as others in the lab-leak hypothesis, but I've never understood why it's such a controversial idea.

A UK lab leaked out Anthrax in 2012, apparently: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_laboratory_biosecurity_incidents

• Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,853

GIN1138 said:

Sigh. No

The Wuhan CDC (BSL-2, allegedly) is about 300 metres from the market (a fact studiously ignored in this ludicrous paper)

IT CAME FROM THE LAB
  • Options
    Ally_B1Ally_B1 Posts: 46
    Pulpstar said:

Andy_JS said:

I don't have a thermostat with Economy 7 central heating and nor do I have any means of boosting the heating during the day (due to a faulty living room heater). Having spent the last two winters in the UK, rather than in Malaysia thanks to covid, my strategy was to heat the two bedroom flat I have been living ito between 18-19 deg overnight and that would fall to 16-17 during the day. I could heat the whole flat with just the hallway heater until the outside temperature fell to near zero overnight and then I would put the Living Room heater on minimum.
    Many years ago I worked with a National Grid director who told me he heated his house to those levels during the winter and wore a jersey when at home. I figured that if that was good enough for him then it would suffice for me.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

It is interesting though the number of intelligent people who seem to believe the lab is opposite the market whereas it is quite a long way away (twice as far away as Porton Down is from Salisbury, for example).
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,027
    Eabhal said:

I'm not invested as others in the lab-leak hypothesis, but I've never understood why it's such a controversial idea.

Isn’t it purely because Trump once gave it credence?
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,045
    edited July 2022
    Eabhal said:

A UK lab leaked out Anthrax in 2012, apparently: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_laboratory_biosecurity_incidents

My guess is because the assumption follows that lab leak equals deliberate which I don't agree with.

If it came from a lab I highly suspect it was an accident.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

It's been controversial because it's often also been implied that the leak was purposeful, rather than accidental, positing a Chinese conspiracy to use the virus to attack the West, and to blame China for the effects of the virus.

This has been done to deflect from criticism of Western political leaders when they have been criticised for perceived failures in their response to the pandemic. But really it makes little difference to judging the performance of Western politicians where the virus came from. Either way they had the same information available to them and the same choices to make.
  • Options
    Leon said:

GIN1138 said:

Sigh. No

The Wuhan CDC (BSL-2, allegedly) is about 300 metres from the market (a fact studiously ignored in this ludicrous paper)

IT CAME FROM THE LAB
    You mean Wuhan Centres for Disease Prevention & Control, 24 Jiang Han Bei Lu, Jiang'An, Wuhan, Hubei?
  • Options

Leon said:

GIN1138 said:

Sigh. No

IT CAME FROM THE LAB
    You mean Wuhan Centres for Disease Prevention & Control, 24 Jiang Han Bei Lu, Jiang'An, Wuhan, Hubei?
    I thought that was the address for Wuhan Centres for Disease Creation & Spread?
  • Options

MaxPB said:

It is interesting though the number of intelligent people who seem to believe the lab is opposite the market whereas it is quite a long way away (twice as far away as Porton Down is from Salisbury, for example).
    IT. IS. NOT
  • Options
    The “map” from the Worobey paper

Notice anything missing?

Ah yes

• Options
    Leon said:

MaxPB said:

IT. IS. NOT
    Come on then - post us a map.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

RobD said:

It was a different and much earlier article that was disliked before. This is a new pair of studies.
    No, it's not

This is the same paper which has been drastically edited after severe criticism
  • Options

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

IT. IS. NOT
    Come on then - post us a map.
    lol
  • Options
    Janan Ganesh article from a few weeks ago which I missed at the time.

"Opinion — Angela Merkel
    Liberals must learn from the Merkel years
    An entire worldview, not just one leader, stands tainted" (via G search)

https://www.ft.com/content/1f6e11ee-a42c-43e3-9703-0069918e12ed
  • Options
    wy no like comments? bastardsd
  • Options

Eabhal said:

It's been controversial because it's often also been implied that the leak was purposeful, rather than accidental, positing a Chinese conspiracy to use the virus to attack the West, and to blame China for the effects of the virus.

This has been done to deflect from criticism of Western political leaders when they have been criticised for perceived failures in their response to the pandemic. But really it makes little difference to judging the performance of Western politicians where the virus came from. Either way they had the same information available to them and the same choices to make.
    It is deeply controversial everywhere because the illegal-in-the-west coronavirus Gain of Function research at Wuhan was heavily funded, through Peter Daszak, by the NIH and Fauci in the USA

Obama explicitly outlawed this dangerous research, Fauci decided it was still worth doing - but safely in China

• Options
    At least eight explosions in this video, said to show Ukrainian missile strikes on the main bridge near Kherson tonight. We find out tomorrow what damage the bridge has suffered.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1552052695921573890
  • Options
    Leon said:

Notice anything missing?

Ah yes

Come on you must be able to do better than that. That's just a screenshot that someone's typed Wuhan CDC on. Maybe it's really there, or maybe it's where Google Maps says it is, 4 km south of there.
  • Options

Leon said:

Notice anything missing?

Ah yes

Come on you must be able to do better than that. That's just a screenshot that someone's typed Wuhan CDC on. Maybe it's really there, or maybe it's where Google Maps says it is, 4 km south of there.
    You're embarrassingly wrong, I'm afraid, and I would desist if I were you
  • Options

Leon said:

Notice anything missing?

Ah yes

The Guardian thinks it's real. Of course with their track record of corrections and clarifications...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/01/could-covid-19-be-manmade-what-we-know-about-origins-trump-chinese-lab-coronavirus
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Notice anything missing?

Ah yes

I will desist but through tiredness rather than embarrassment.

However, if you can post some reliable evidence that the Wuhan CDC lab is where you say it is, I'll willingly eat humble pie. Tomorrow.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Notice anything missing?

Ah yes

I will desist but through tiredness rather than embarrassment.

However, if you can post some reliable evidence that the Wuhan CDC lab is where you say it is, I'll willingly eat humble pie. Tomorrow.
    "But, you will notice that the Wuhan CDC is bang in the middle of one of these big clusters of people close to the market with no link to the market"

https://twitter.com/MonaRahalkar/status/1349271920441749504?s=20&t=V3Z_Wmrv8HJ532pX3dJ3eg

"Late 2019 a close collaborator of WIV relocated 1 of several Wuhan branches across the street from the Huanan seafood market, ie the Wuhan CDC, which along w WIV collected &handled thousands of batcov samples while operating under low biosafety (BSL-2)."

https://twitter.com/MJnanostretch/status/1510362473689407493?s=20&t=V3Z_Wmrv8HJ532pX3dJ3eg

"I was surprised reading
    @MichaelWorobey’s paper on cases surrounding the Wuhan market, that there was no mention of the Wuhan CDC at 288 Machang Rd. which is a short stroll from the market."

https://twitter.com/scottburke777/status/1471585776257454085?s=20&t=V3Z_Wmrv8HJ532pX3dJ3eg
This discussion has been closed.