Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Truss dominates Sunak in the polling except the key one? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,196
    Eabhal said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

If anyone can guess that without googling and without further clues I will buy them an oyster

Che Guevaras pad
    Oooh. Much nearer. Wrong, but a great guess
    For some reason I'm thinking of Aleister Crowley and Sicily. How far out?
    Trillion miles
    Bolivia
    Yep!

Where in Bolivia? Should be quite easy now, location-wise
  • Options
    UnpopularUnpopular Posts: 782
    Leon said:

Here’s a chunky clue

The house is about 500m from THIS

Prince Andrew's Carribbean lair?
  • Options
    moonshine said:

Eabhal said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

If anyone can guess that without googling and without further clues I will buy them an oyster

Che Guevaras pad
    Trillion miles
    Bolivia
    Yeah looks like the coroico death road doesn’t it
    Bingo!

The Road of Death in a veil of fog

Now who would want to live in such a remote, inaccessible place??
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,548

ohnotnow said:

Watching 'the moment' again - it looks like Liz glances over at Rishi, sees he's going down to help (or reacting in some way) _then_ decides (albeit quickly) to go over herself. Going to be interesting when other camera footage appears.

That moment's look over to Sunak is interesting. Could be either a very human: "Do you know what's going on?" to a "Oh, God, he's going to help, I'd better look as though I'm doing something."

My own view on such things is that without training - which I doubt either has had - reactions are rather random. Mine certainly seem to be.
    I'd have thought in a debate with a studio audience, she would be looking for a resident medic of some sort. Not a lot to see here, I'm afraid.

But the conspiracy theories are fun.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

Another entry in the file that the police are wankers and the Met needs disbanding.

Five children are being strip searched by Met Police officers every week without even being arrested first.

Data obtained by LBC shows 799 children aged between 10 and 17 were strip-searched whilst not in custody, from 2019 to 2021.

The vast majority were for suspected drugs offences, and in just under half of the cases there was no outcome or arrest.

The figures also expose huge racial disparities; more than half of the children strip-searched were black (436), three-quarters of them were from ethnically diverse backgrounds (607), while only one in five (179) were white.

Scotland Yard sparked national outrage after news emerged earlier this year of a 15-year-old black school girl from Hackney, known as Child Q, being strip-searched, without having been first arrested for any crime.

The searches of 10 other children have also been referred to the police watchdog to investigate.

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/met-strip-search-five-children-every-week/

That's surely due to drug searches among gang members. Unfortunately stopping all searches just turns young black kids into drug mules ferrying them around for gangs all over London. It's not as simple as you're implying, and I'm not exactly a huge fan of the Met myself.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    Leon said:

moonshine said:

Eabhal said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Che Guevaras pad
    Trillion miles
    Bolivia
    Bingo!

Oh that software virus checker weirdo

• Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,905
    Leon said:

moonshine said:

Eabhal said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Che Guevaras pad
    Trillion miles
    Bolivia
    Bingo!

I don't know, but that's the only place I've ever seen a human body just lying in the street.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,966
    Two nil.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,844
    edited July 2022

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

stodge said:

Pagan2 said:

After GE19 most of the money has been spent on London.

Vote Labour, the only party to have actually levelled up this country in the last thirty years.

Pfft labour always leaves me poorer and I am not rolling in it but live pay check to pay check.
    Yes, you do know Labour haven't been in Government since 2010....

There will always be a core of people who believe ANY Conservative Government will be better than ANY Labour Government and another core who believe the exact opposite.

Both groups have their representatives on PB - I suspect more of the former than the latter.

The blair years left me on 60% down compared to inflation at the time by the time of 2007 so cutting out the gfc. Tories governements at least sometimes but not always at least let me keep up more with inflation.
    In my view the labour party want minimum wage to catch up with most of the country so we are all beholden to government largess....tories arent much better mind
    Tell you what, why don't you just vote Tory and have done with it? I don't think Labour were expecting your vote, somehow.
    I havent voted tory for a long while as they turned into a party of lefties under cameron. I am sure its accidental that I sometimes benefit

for info I did vote labour in 1997......soon worked out that was a mistake and labour didnt give a shit about working people....would only vote labour now or tory to keep out a lib dem
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282
    GOAL!
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Leon said:

moonshine said:

Eabhal said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Che Guevaras pad
    Trillion miles
    Bolivia
    Bingo!

I don't know, but that's the only place I've ever seen a human body just lying in the street.
    Bolivia is MAD

I loved it
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,756
    Leon said:

Ok this is a really good one. It is absurdly hard but it’s entertaining

Whose house is this and where is it?

Dreyfus?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,421
    Eabhal said:

Leon said:

moonshine said:

Eabhal said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Che Guevaras pad
    Trillion miles
    Bolivia
    Bingo!

Never been to Newent then.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Dreyfus?
    No. Did he ever live in Bolivia?
  • Options
    Damn you guys! Iplayer has a 30 seconds delay. I have to go and find the remote to switch on “telly” for the first time in 4 months
  • Options
    Lucia Roberta Tough Bronze is a cool name.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,548
    edited July 2022
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Bit late but perhaps one for @RochdalePioneers as well as those who claim Brexit is a doddle for impex folk.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/jul/26/british-wine-wholesaler-leave-uk-over-post-brexit-paperwork

He's having to move to France:

'There he will set up a French company to export back to his own company in Wales.

He said the only way he could get around the “incredibly complicated” paperwork for importing alcohol was to establish a French company to export into the UK, and do the administration in the EU himself.

“I am doing what the government was suggesting, which is to have a company here and in Europe to mitigate the impact of Brexit,” he said. “What I’m doing will enable me to import and export into and out of the EU within the company itself, so that we mitigate all of the cost of importing into the UK.”'

And that's a lot of employment, profit and tax lost to the UK. As HMG should have knonw when they said "**** business, go away and set up elsewhere".

That's the same whinging individual who has been quoted a thousand times before.

If everyone is struggling, why is it always the same moaning FBPE bugger with an EU flag on his handle that is the goto to be quoted instead of thousands of different individuals all complaining?
    That's a bit like saying you are always the one to leap to the defence of Brexit so can be ignored. You see?
    No - Bart is one man with an opinion amongst many other people.

Daniel Wotsit is a renta-quote saying things to create eye-catching stories. To the extent of appearing in scores of articles.

His £1.50 much shouted about price increase turns out to consist of 20-40p actual extra costs and £1.10-1.30 extra margin for the trade.
  • Options
    OK another clue (it is hard, tho you will probably have heard of this person)

That house on the Road of Death was his last home in Bolivia, before he went back to France
  • Options
    So. I hear I missed a dramatic debate.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Dreyfus?
    No. Did he ever live in Bolivia?
    Hadn't seen the Bolivian posts then!

Sort of right end of right continent ...
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,209
    moonshine said:

Leon said:

moonshine said:

Eabhal said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Che Guevaras pad
    Trillion miles
    Bolivia
    Bingo!

Nah, that was Belize, no?
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,934
    Leon said:

moonshine said:

Eabhal said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Che Guevaras pad
    Trillion miles
    Bolivia
    Bingo!

Klaus Barbie
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,102
    Leon said:

One of the various abodes of Sundance and Butch?
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,733
    moonshine said:

Leon said:

moonshine said:

Eabhal said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Che Guevaras pad
    Trillion miles
    Bolivia
    Bingo!

You mean McAfee? Think he was holed up somewhere in Central America, not Bolivia
  • Options

Leon said:

moonshine said:

Eabhal said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Che Guevaras pad
    Trillion miles
    Bolivia
    Bingo!

Klaus Barbie
    PRIZE!

Yes, that's the last Bolivian home of infamous Nazi Klaus Barbie, the "Butcher of Lyon"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klaus_Barbie

It is suitably fucking creepy, on the Road of Death, in curtains of eerie mist
  • Options
    Leon said:

That house on the Road of Death was his last home in Bolivia, before he went back to France

Googling "bolivia france famous man" gets it, but I won't spoil the fun by naming him.
  • Options
    Leon said:

I have been down that road, albeit 20 years ago and don’t recall a history lesson the way down. So either it’s since then or my memory was fuzzy from all the local fun we had that trip.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Leon said:

Duplicate
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,219
    Leon said:

Is that the Phil Collins chalet in Switzerland?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,067
    Interesting that the Sun is spinning the collapse for Rishi.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/politics/19321673/liz-truss-and-rishi-sunak-face-sun-debate/

RISHI Sunak rushed over to Kate McCann and held her hand after the TalkTV host fainted during tonight's Tory leadership debate.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Another entry in the file that the police are wankers and the Met needs disbanding.

Five children are being strip searched by Met Police officers every week without even being arrested first.

Data obtained by LBC shows 799 children aged between 10 and 17 were strip-searched whilst not in custody, from 2019 to 2021.

The vast majority were for suspected drugs offences, and in just under half of the cases there was no outcome or arrest.

The figures also expose huge racial disparities; more than half of the children strip-searched were black (436), three-quarters of them were from ethnically diverse backgrounds (607), while only one in five (179) were white.

Scotland Yard sparked national outrage after news emerged earlier this year of a 15-year-old black school girl from Hackney, known as Child Q, being strip-searched, without having been first arrested for any crime.

The searches of 10 other children have also been referred to the police watchdog to investigate.

So in just over 50% of cases they are finding, basically, drugs?

Speaking as a serious Class A enthusiast I am totally opposed to all this shit, but given their remit I'd say they were following a pretty sound policy.
  • Options

Interesting that the Sun is spinning the collapse for Rishi.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/politics/19321673/liz-truss-and-rishi-sunak-face-sun-debate/

RISHI Sunak rushed over to Kate McCann and held her hand after the TalkTV host fainted during tonight's Tory leadership debate.

Took her rings for tax innit!
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,219
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

stodge said:

Pagan2 said:

Vote Labour, the only party to have actually levelled up this country in the last thirty years.

Pfft labour always leaves me poorer and I am not rolling in it but live pay check to pay check.

There will always be a core of people who believe ANY Conservative Government will be better than ANY Labour Government and another core who believe the exact opposite.

Both groups have their representatives on PB - I suspect more of the former than the latter.

The blair years left me on 60% down compared to inflation at the time by the time of 2007 so cutting out the gfc. Tories governements at least sometimes but not always at least let me keep up more with inflation.
    In my view the labour party want minimum wage to catch up with most of the country so we are all beholden to government largess....tories arent much better mind
    You seem to be conversing with yourself and this is no surprise.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

moonshine said:

Eabhal said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Che Guevaras pad
    Trillion miles
    Bolivia
    Bingo!

Klaus Barbie
    PRIZE!

Yes, that's the last Bolivian home of infamous Nazi Klaus Barbie, the "Butcher of Lyon"

His defence, when on trial in France, was paid for by this creep:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/François_Genoud
  • Options
    MattW said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Bit late but perhaps one for @RochdalePioneers as well as those who claim Brexit is a doddle for impex folk.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/jul/26/british-wine-wholesaler-leave-uk-over-post-brexit-paperwork

'There he will set up a French company to export back to his own company in Wales.

He said the only way he could get around the “incredibly complicated” paperwork for importing alcohol was to establish a French company to export into the UK, and do the administration in the EU himself.

“I am doing what the government was suggesting, which is to have a company here and in Europe to mitigate the impact of Brexit,” he said. “What I’m doing will enable me to import and export into and out of the EU within the company itself, so that we mitigate all of the cost of importing into the UK.”'

And that's a lot of employment, profit and tax lost to the UK. As HMG should have knonw when they said "**** business, go away and set up elsewhere".

That's the same whinging individual who has been quoted a thousand times before.

If everyone is struggling, why is it always the same moaning FBPE bugger with an EU flag on his handle that is the goto to be quoted instead of thousands of different individuals all complaining?
    That's a bit like saying you are always the one to leap to the defence of Brexit so can be ignored. You see?

Daniel Wotsit is a renta-quote saying things to create eye-catching stories. To the extent of appearing in scores of articles.

His £1.50 much shouted about price increase turns out to consist of 20-40p actual extra costs and £1.10-1.30 extra margin for the trade.
    IN other words, like every other businessman on the planet.
  • Options
    carnforth said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

moonshine said:

Eabhal said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Che Guevaras pad
    Trillion miles
    Bolivia
    Bingo!

Klaus Barbie
    PRIZE!

What a bizarrely and remarkably offensive life history

He also funded Eichmann's defence, and assisted Ayatollah Khomeini?

So a raging anti-Semite, I guess
  • Options
    MattW said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Well yes, but if it is margin for some other bit of the trade than him, what's the difference?
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,844
    kinabalu said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

stodge said:

Pagan2 said:

You seem to be conversing with yourself and this is no surprise.
    Shrugs most people on this board arent too affected by what governments do. They are wealthy. That is why we here calls for just put a few percent on income tax. They don't realise how many people they will push under. Left wingers like you are just as guilty and its understandable as a viewpoint because most people tend to assume other people are in the same situation as themselves.

Live down here with the plebs see how you like most governement policies who ever is in power. When minimum wage came in I was reasonably well of but not wealthy. I earnt 3 times minimum wage...by 2007 I earnt just under 2 x minimum wage. Many people I know who werent on the lowest wage are now on minimum wage not because they changed what they do but their pay didnt go up with inflation over the years but minimum wage did.

You then wonder why a lot of people think governments whether tory or labour have future envisioned where there are two classes....senior managers and minimum wage staff or serfs as they were called back a few centuries ago
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Speaking as a serious Class A enthusiast I am totally opposed to all this shit, but given their remit I'd say they were following a pretty sound policy.
    I may have misunderstood the guidelines but I thought you could be searched if suspected to be in possession of a illegal property but only strip searched if suspected in possession of a weapon. There are clear rules that minors must be allowed their guardian or other responsible adult nominates by them present too.

• Options
    moonshine said:

Damn you guys! Iplayer has a 30 seconds delay. I have to go and find the remote to switch on “telly” for the first time in 4 months

Oops sorry.
    I've got it on the radio, so it's slightly ahead of the TV also. I shall temper my enthusiasm.
    Sounds like a decent save several minutes ago/ just then/ maybe soon.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,435
    I've decided to give you a thread on Scottish independence in the morning.
  • Options
    GOAL !!
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,303
    Genius by Russo
  • Options
    moonshine said:

IshmaelZ said:

I may have misunderstood the guidelines but I thought you could be searched if suspected to be in possession of a illegal property but only strip searched if suspected in possession of a weapon. There are clear rules that minors must be allowed their guardian or other responsible adult nominates by them present too.
    Fucking stupidly unintended consequence rule if so, because given those rules, what age group you gonna recruit as mules?
  • Options
    OK that was a bit of footballing genius
  • Options
    Leon said:

Dodgy keeper.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,448
    To my untrained eye, women's football is very entertaining. The technical levels of skill seem very good in a way that you don't see so much in the men's game. I'm not claiming the women are more skilful, but something about the way the game is played - more space, less physical, smaller players- lets skill show more.
    Also, the goalies are smaller. Men's football would be much more entertaining if goalies could be no taller than 5'9''.
    I don't feel strongly about who wins. I'd like to see England win but it won't make me sad if they don't. But it's easier to enjoy a game you don't feel strongly about when the potch isn't full of utterly horrible people constantly cheating.
    I find the BBC presentation irritating - they appear to be furiously fighting a battle for acceptance that has already been won without having to fight. But BBC coverage of all sport is irritating; the only interesting thing is finding precisely which way they will irritate you.
    People who know more about football than me say this view is rubbish however.
    That was a very skilful goal though.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,300
    Backheel!
  • Options
    What a goal!
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,629
    IanB2 said:

GOAL !!

Hilarious goalkeeping!
  • Options
    Leon said:

Yeah that was orroight.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Good goal and thinking but very, very poor goal keeping.
  • Options
    Henry-esque
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited July 2022
    Sarah Everard: Man convicted without knowing for attending vigil

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-62307736

The government fucked up
    The police really fucked up
    The courts fucked up

Fuck up all round, basically. The authorities, collectively, lost their minds.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,631
    I don't think I've ever seen a goal like that before.
  • Options
    GOAL !!!
  • Options
    4-0.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Eabhal said:

Henry-esque

I was at Highbury that day. I got absolutely drenched, but it was worth it. 😊
  • Options
    Four!!!
  • Options
    OK their goalie is laughably bad. That was schoolboys age 12 kind of stuff
  • Options
    FFS this is against a team ranked 2 in the world.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    Leon said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

moonshine said:

Eabhal said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Che Guevaras pad
    Trillion miles
    Bolivia
    Bingo!

Klaus Barbie
    PRIZE!

A good example of how the extreme left and extreme right can end up in bed together.

No surprise that Noam Chomsky made common cause with him.
  • Options
    Goalkeeper's lost her head after the 3rd one. Brutal.
  • Options
    If this was the men's team, they'd have shut up shop ten minutes ago.
  • Options
    MPartridgeMPartridge Posts: 156
    Leon said:

Leon said:

moonshine said:

Eabhal said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Che Guevaras pad
    Trillion miles
    Bolivia
    Bingo!

Klaus Barbie
    PRIZE!

Remind me of the scene in the movie rat race, when the Jewish family is speeding through the Nevada desert to claim the prize.

The children see a sign advertising the "Barbie Museum" and the daughter is begging them to stop, so she can see the lovely Barbies.

Turns out it was a skinhead museum dedicated to Klaus Barbie
  • Options
    Leon said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

moonshine said:

Eabhal said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Che Guevaras pad
    Trillion miles
    Bolivia
    Bingo!

Klaus Barbie
    PRIZE!

There's a very funny bit of Rat Race where a family (Jewish American) visit a Barbie Museum in the wilds of America only to find it's a Klaus Barbie Museum staffed by neo-Nazis. They end of making a getaway in Hitler's Mercedes.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Tbf though, they have never looked the best side in the competition as would befit that ranking at any point in the tournament.
  • Options
    I'm sorry, I just laughed there

• Options
    So a final against Germany or France.

Time to back the Germans, losing at the soccer to the Germans is part of the English football psyche.

Losing to France would be a national embarrassment.
  • Options
    Leon said:

OK their goalie is laughably bad. That was schoolboys age 12 kind of stuff

She's not bad, she's just not tall. Short goalies make for a much more entertaining game.
  • Options
    I laughed again
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

moonshine said:

Eabhal said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Che Guevaras pad
    Trillion miles
    Bolivia
    Bingo!

Klaus Barbie
    PRIZE!

Remind me of the scene in the movie rat race, when the Jewish family is speeding through the Nevada desert to claim the prize.

The children see a sign advertising the "Barbie Museum" and the daughter is begging them to stop, so she can see the lovely Barbies.

Turns out it was a skinhead museum dedicated to Klaus Barbie
    :lol:

Film buffs of PB unite.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Wallander, Greta, ABBA, your gals took a hell of a beating….!
  • Options

Can you hear me Sven-Goran Eriksson? Ruben Rausing, Ingmar Bergman, Ulrika Jonsson, Ace of Base, Agnetha Faltskog, your girls took a hell of a beating.

Leave ABBA out of this.
  • Options
    ping said:

The government fucked up
    The courts fucked up

+1
  • Options
    Still all over them in the final third with a minute to go. If this is naive I love it.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

ping said:

The government fucked up
    The courts fucked up

+1
    FFS. After all that rigmarole, there's going to be a trial? When the justice system is clogged up?
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    Sweden were rubbish.
  • Options
    Since this manager took over England have now scored 104 goals and conceded 4. It’s not bad.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Since this manager took over England have now scored 104 goals and conceded 4. It’s not bad.

That's a rather damning indictment about women's football.
  • Options
    ping said:

The government fucked up
    The courts fucked up

This has the imprint of Dick all over it.
  • Options
    Surprised to see that Sweden are supposed to be the number 2 team in the world, behind only the USA.

https://www.fifa.com/fifa-world-ranking/women?dateId=ranking_20220617
  • Options

DavidL said:

There is an enormous difference between countries that have professional leagues and those that don’t. So there are some easy wins. But it shows a ruthlessness and determination. They have played some good teams in this tournament but only conceded 1 goal.
  • Options

Time to back the Germans, losing at the soccer to the Germans is part of the English football psyche.

Isn’t it sexist to apply the failure of the English man football patriarchy to the Lionesses?

Separately, is the cringey ‘Lionesses’ a late marketing ploy or were they always known as that?

• Options
    DavidL said:

Cower before the might of a Dutch-English alliance.
  • Options

Isn’t it sexist to apply the failure of the English man football patriarchy to the Lionesses?

Separately, is the cringey ‘Lionesses’ a late marketing ploy or were they always known as that?

African* name, innit!

(* also some lions live in western India)
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,708
    Which bone head decides to do interviews during Sweet Caroline?
  • Options

Everyone knows I'm a feminist.
  • Options

Which bone head decides to do interviews during Sweet Caroline?

"How does it feel to win 4-0 in a semi final?"
    "So good, so good, so good."
  • Options
    I booze
  • Options
    Drink drink drink shots shots shots
  • Options
    !!!!!! Shots

Hyshurs
  • Options

African* name, innit!

There used to be wild lions stalking Yorkshire and London. 13k years ago mind.
  • Options
    Lion wine a fab performance women yes finals!
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,629

DavidL said:

Games are often very one sided. Leicester City Women got serially slaughtered last season, only Birmingham did even worse to keep us up.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited July 2022
    Cookie said:

To my untrained eye, women's football is very entertaining. The technical levels of skill seem very good in a way that you don't see so much in the men's game. I'm not claiming the women are more skilful, but something about the way the game is played - more space, less physical, smaller players- lets skill show more.
    Also, the goalies are smaller. Men's football would be much more entertaining if goalies could be no taller than 5'9''.
    I don't feel strongly about who wins. I'd like to see England win but it won't make me sad if they don't. But it's easier to enjoy a game you don't feel strongly about when the potch isn't full of utterly horrible people constantly cheating.
    I find the BBC presentation irritating - they appear to be furiously fighting a battle for acceptance that has already been won without having to fight. But BBC coverage of all sport is irritating; the only interesting thing is finding precisely which way they will irritate you.
    People who know more about football than me say this view is rubbish however.
    That was a very skilful goal though.

One problem with mens football is literally every kick of every game that has more than one man and his dog attending is captured and analysed to the nth degree. So there are no surprises and even lesser nations are now professional enough, well coached, well drilled and able to use all of this info to at the very least come up with a set of tactics to minimise their opponents opportunities.

This is particular bad at international level. You watch England play any smaller nation and its park the bus from min 0 until min 90. Now should England do better, yes, it is a criticism of Southgate conservative style, but all these teams purchase in-depth tactical analytical info (in fact the likes of Statsbomb even now provide people to come to your team and do all the technical side for you).

The women's game is nowhere near as sophificated as this, more uneven, but it makes for a more open and enjoyable game.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    glw said:

Sweden were rubbish.

They deserve to be demoted from their number 2 in the world position based on that performance.
  • Options
    moonshine said:

African* name, innit!

There used to be wild lions stalking Yorkshire and London. 13k years ago mind.
    Yes, wild animals don't naturally live in exotic places, they just get pushed out. Just as aboriginal Australians don't live in the outback by choice
This discussion has been closed.