Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Liz Truss now odds-on favourite in the CON leadership betting – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,957

The case for Liz Truss is:

- She's the most qualified candidate, more so than Rishi and far more than Penny
    - She rose to become economic director in Cable & Wireless and was deputy director of Reform, where she advocated education reform, before she entered parliament - and authored several education reform reports
    - She's been in the Cabinet since 2014 and served under three PMs
    - She's done DEFRA, Justice, Chief Secretary to the Treasury, International Trade and Foreign Secretary
    - She's therefore probably not an idiot and at least half-competent
    - She works hard and delivers, which even her detractors grudgingly admit
    - She has at least some retail offer, including deregulation and tax cuts, and a plan for the cost-of-living crisis
    - She challenges the establishment thinking rather than just accepting it as gospel, unlike Rishi
    - She's stood up to orthodox thinking on self-ID and gender identity politics
    - She's stood up to Putin and Russia, and told them where to go (who consequently hate her)

The case against Liz Truss is really that she's Liz Truss. She's a bit rude, a loose cannon and has little empathy or ability to connect with people, and is a poor communicator.

But, can she do the job?

Yes.

Other positives in Liz's favour.

1) Backed Remain after seeing all the evidence
    2) Former Liberal Democrat
    3) Bona fide republican
  • EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,960

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

That's the first time I have ever heard a newscaster turn to a weather forecaster and say "Ah thankyou, thank God it's getting cooler and rainier" (or words to that extent)

A cultural change

Nothing could be more stereotypically British culture than moaning about the weather.

Even good weather.
    It's all about perspective, but about 98% of humanity would not call 40C "good weather"

But you do you, it's a free country
    Get a cold drink and a pool and stay hydrated. Its glorious weather.

People pay good money to travel to enjoy this weather.
    Nobody ever flies: hoping to encounter 40C

Why? Because it is too dangerously hot to do anything by day (especially with burning sun). You can't go walking, you can't play sport, you can't lie on a beach, you can't have picnics, it is stifling for the healthy and dangerous for the vulnerable. All you can do is cower indoors in aircon, or shrink away into shade and pray it goes

It's just not fun. You might find it fun, but, really, virtually all other humans do not
    Nobody does? Don't be silly. For someone who claims to be so well travelled you seem to be ignorant of the fact that this is moderate weather for much of the world. And beaches will be packed in this heat too, anywhere with popular beaches that is used to this weather.

If you need to cover from this, I wouldn't recommend you visit Death Valley.
    The UK was one of the hottest places on earth, today. 40C is not "moderate weather for much of the world"

This is palpable bollocks, like your claim that Florida sees 40C for six months of the year

And, speaking as an experienced traveller, I can assure you that no one flies in the hope of being greeted by 40C when they arrive

This is a stupid argument. You are wrong. I know you find that hard to accept. but it would probably
    be better for your mood if you learned how to admit, occasionally, that Yes, you can be
    wrong
    Indeed. I’d say most humans consider the perfect summer climate 30c, clear skies, nice breeze. The idea that millions of people worldwide actively seek out 40c is PB Garbage at its most extreme. Bart should check the prices of Las Vegas in August. Cheap and - in his eyes - ideal.

Except the weather hasn't been 40C in the UK today for most of the time. At the very peak 40.3C was registered in some part of the UK, for almost all the day actually temperature was in the 30s not the 40s which is very pleasant.
    Can I please ask what temperature you would agree would be "too hot"?
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835
    edited July 2022

- She's the most qualified candidate, more so than Rishi and far more than Penny
    - She rose to become economic director in Cable & Wireless and was deputy director of Reform, where she advocated education reform, before she entered parliament - and authored several education reform reports
    - She's done DEFRA, Justice, Chief Secretary to the Treasury, International Trade and Foreign Secretary
    - She has at least some retail offer, including deregulation and tax cuts, and a plan for the cost-of-living crisis
    - She challenges the establishment thinking rather than just accepting it as gospel, unlike Rishi
    - She's stood up to Putin and Russia, and told them where to go (who consequently hate her)

The case against Liz Truss is really that she's Liz Truss. She's a bit rude, a loose cannon and has little empathy or ability to connect with people, and is a poor communicator.

But, can she do the job?

Yes.

Yeah. I said before I don't get the visceral hatred for her. She'll be a huge step up in terms of running an administration.
    However. She is absolutely the one candidate Labour want to run against. A monster downgrade in electoral appeal.
  • StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

That's the first time I have ever heard a newscaster turn to a weather forecaster and say "Ah thankyou, thank God it's getting cooler and rainier" (or words to that extent)

A cultural change

Nothing could be more stereotypically British culture than moaning about the weather.

Even good weather.
    It's all about perspective, but about 98% of humanity would not call 40C "good weather"

Why? Because it is too dangerously hot to do anything by day (especially with burning sun). You can't go walking, you can't play sport, you can't lie on a beach, you can't have picnics, it is stifling for the healthy and dangerous for the vulnerable. All you can do is cower indoors in aircon, or shrink away into shade and pray it goes

It's just not fun. You might find it fun, but, really, virtually all other humans do not
    Nobody does? Don't be silly. For someone who claims to be so well travelled you seem to be ignorant of the fact that this is moderate weather for much of the world. And beaches will be packed in this heat too, anywhere with popular beaches that is used to this weather.

The UK was one of the hottest places on earth, today. 40C is not "moderate weather for much of the world"

This is palpable bollocks, like your claim that Florida sees 40C for six months of the year

And, speaking as an experienced traveller, I can assure you that no one flies in the hope of being greeted by 40C when they arrive

This is a stupid argument. You are wrong. I know you find that hard to accept. but it would probably be better for your mood if you learned how to admit, occasionally, that Yes, you can be wrong
    Except that, he’s right. Large parts of the US, Europe and the Middle East have been hotter than the UK this week.

No he's not. 40C is not "moderate weather for much of the world"

It is universally considered as "stinking hot" by almost everyone

And London was one of THE hottest capital cities on earth, today. Very few went over 40C

Madrid: 35C
    Rome: 37C
    Berlin: 35C
    Cairo - CAIRO - 37C
    Moscow: 20C
    New Delhi - NEW DELHI - 32C
    Beijing: 34C
    Tokyo: 36C
    Jakarta: 33C
    Rio de Janeiro:27C
    Mexico City: 28C

London? 40C
    Sean, stop being such an arse.

If you weren’t such a right wing looney you might be taken seriously, but until you start advocating serious policies for cooling down the planet, STFU.
  • Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

A cultural change

Even good weather.

This is a stupid argument. You are wrong. I know you find that hard to accept. but it would probably be better for your mood if you learned how to admit, occasionally, that Yes, you can be wrong
    Except that, he’s right. Large parts of the US, Europe and the Middle East have been hotter than the UK this week.

And London was one of THE hottest capital cities on earth, today. Very few went over 40C

Cairo - CAIRO - 37C

London? 40C
    Cherrypicking today's date doesn't make today's weather extreme for all those places. Yes the UK was momentarily hotter than New Delhi today, but New Delhi's record temperature isn't momentarily breaking 40.3C . . . it is 49C

And for most of the day, most of the UK was in the 30s not the 40s.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,038

But, can she do the job?

Yes.

"She challenges the establishment thinking rather than just accepting it as gospel, unlike Rishi"

iirc it was Sunak who led the Cabinet rebellion against Chris Whitty's lockdown over xmas/jan/feb 2022, turning up with his own graphs of SA data.

But yeh, she is experienced.

But I think the job will send her half bonkers quite rapidly. Just a hunch.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,911
    Rain! Rain in east London!

Not very heavy at all, but just sayin'!
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,600
    Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

A cultural change

Even good weather.

Cairo - CAIRO - 37C

London? 40C
    He also (ludicrously) claimed that millions of people seek out this weather. I can see the rush of northern folk to northern Oklahoma right now, to sample the delights of 110 in the shade…

• algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,341

But, can she do the job?

Yes.

Depends on the job. Can she win the next election? She is thus far the candidate that is unappealing to the voters they need to switch/switch back.

My sense at the moment is that having got rid of all the most interesting candidates they are left with:
    Rishi: who is absolutely tainted by association with a morally discredited government
    Truss: Ditto + In personality has many of the same traits as T May
    Mordaunt: No idea. Fascinatingly empty.

As one of the voters they need to switch back, at the moment the answer is No; as long as Labour stay centrist, it is Time For A Change.

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

A cultural change

Even good weather.

Cairo - CAIRO - 37C

London? 40C
    Rio hasn't been the capital of Brazil for over 50 years!

But, can she do the job?

Yes.

Tragic.

The Tory party is dead. Brexit has addled your brains.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,232
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

A cultural change

Even good weather.

Cairo - CAIRO - 37C

London? 40C
    What about Riyadh.

Riyadh: 46C

Dubai: 40C (so less than London? - or about the same)

Baghdad: 47C

Beirut: 34C

Kabul: 34C

Tehran:38C

THAT's how hot London was today, beaten only a by a few capitals in the Mid East, but hotter than Tehran (and hotter than almost every other capital city on earth)
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,085
    edited July 2022

Rain! Rain in east London!

Not very heavy at all, but just sayin'!

Not yet reached east of east London, but the trees are starting to sway suggestively.

In which case,

WE MADE IT!

We survived the great heat of July 2022 to a bit later in July 2022...

• CookieCookie Posts: 11,183

Andy_JS said:

"@SkyNews

It's "astonishing" the Tory leadership contest is taking place during the heatwave says London Mayor Sadiq Khan"

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1549446574354358279

Eh?
    That is possibly the stupidest thing a council leader has said since Liverpool's Mike Storey back in about 2003, who, when the format of registration plates changed, went on North West tonight to say that it was insensitive of the DVLA to make cars registered in Liverpool bear the letter M (nominally for 'Manchester and Merseyside' but Cllr Storey was very cross Liverpool lost out on L to London).

But, can she do the job?

Yes.

Tragic.

Leadership election next summer?

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

A cultural change

Even good weather.

Cairo - CAIRO - 37C

London? 40C
    Cherrypicking today's date doesn't make today's weather extreme for all those places. Yes the UK was momentarily hotter than New Delhi today, but New Delhi's record temperature isn't momentarily breaking 40.3C . . . it is 49C

It was 15 degrees in my home village. 6 degrees forecast tonight. So bored of BBC and SeanT hyperbole.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,279
    "Time to cut members out of Tory leadership
    Changing the rules would show that the contestants understand the scale of the disaster Johnson inflicted on the party
    Danny Finkelstein" (£)

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/time-to-cut-members-out-of-tory-leadership-contest-jk6kkpc02
  • numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,414

But, can she do the job?

Yes.

I think you’ve done a good summing up. I find it very lazy to criticise Liz Truss as unintelligent and incompetent. She has probably been one of the better administrators in government. She made a silly speech about cheese once - that doesn’t mean she’s dense.

Is she qualified to be prime minister? Absolutely. I’ve no doubt she can step into the job and perform it, and do the day to day much better than Boris.

The problem is she is absolutely shocking presentationally. You’ve hit on the big issue of the lack of empathy/ability to connect - this is the thing I’ve also identified as her biggest flaw. She can’t ‘speak’ to the country or explain how what she is doing benefits people. She’s ‘wonky’, not a communicator or a campaigner. And if the Tories want to stay in power after 14 years in government I think they need all the help they can get on that front.

Additionally I have very great concerns that JRM/Nadine and all the headbangers are going to continue to infiltrate government.

• CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,137
    Foxy said:

2% for the Junior doctors, 4.5% for me with 9%CPI and 11% RPI.

Those Juniors are not a happy bunch, effectively they will be working free for a month.

https://www.bma.org.uk/bma-media-centre/brutal-pay-cut-will-come-as-a-bitter-blow-to-doctors-says-bma

I wonder why they bother working in the UK.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,600
    ….
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,393
    Minus two in Timbuktu
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,878
    Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

Those Juniors are not a happy bunch, effectively they will be working free for a month.

https://www.bma.org.uk/bma-media-centre/brutal-pay-cut-will-come-as-a-bitter-blow-to-doctors-says-bma

Context is important, such as the actual salary they are on, not just the way below inflation salary rise. Ultimately we are heading for a lot of industrial action if inflation doesn’t come under control and pay offers are substantially below inflation.
  • pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,087
    algarkirk said:

But, can she do the job?

Yes.

Depends on the job. Can she win the next election? She is thus far the candidate that is unappealing to the voters they need to switch/switch back.

My sense at the moment is that having got rid of all the most interesting candidates they are left with:
    Rishi: who is absolutely tainted by association with a morally discredited government
    Truss: Ditto + In personality has many of the same traits as T May
    Mordaunt: No idea. Fascinatingly empty.

As one of the voters they need to switch back, at the moment the answer is No; as long as Labour stay centrist, it is Time For A Change.

At this moment I don't think I could be frightened into backing the Tories unless Starmer got run over by a truck and the party had another Corbynite spasm when choosing the successor

I suspect that Truss as PM means a continuation of the current, elderly homeowner centred regime, but with added tax cuts funded directly by yet more borrowing.

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

A cultural change

Even good weather.

Cairo - CAIRO - 37C

London? 40C
    Of course, London is out on the fringes of the UK anyway. Crap position for a capital of England, never mind the UK.
  • Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

A cultural change

Even good weather.

Cairo - CAIRO - 37C

London? 40C
    Of course, London is out on the fringes of the UK anyway. Crap position for a capital of England, never mind the UK.
    But a river runs through. That's what the Romans liked too.

Andy_JS said:

"@SkyNews

It's "astonishing" the Tory leadership contest is taking place during the heatwave says London Mayor Sadiq Khan"

Eh?
    In fact, I'll go further: if it's astonishing that there is a Conservative Leadership campaign in a heatwave, it is just as astonishing that the mayor of London is making asinine non-sequiturs.
    Both seem equally independent of the weather.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,787

But, can she do the job?

Yes.

I think you’ve done a good summing up. I find it very lazy to criticise Liz Truss as unintelligent and incompetent. She has probably been one of the better administrators in government. She made a silly speech about cheese once - that doesn’t mean she’s dense.

Is she qualified to be prime minister? Absolutely. I’ve no doubt she can step into the job and perform it, and do the day to day much better than Boris.

The problem is she is absolutely shocking presentationally. You’ve hit on the big issue of the lack of empathy/ability to connect - this is the thing I’ve also identified as her biggest flaw. She can’t ‘speak’ to the country or explain how what she is doing benefits people. She’s ‘wonky’, not a communicator or a campaigner. And if the Tories want to stay in power after 14 years in government I think they need all the help they can get on that front.

Additionally I have very great concerns that JRM/Nadine and all the headbangers are going to continue to infiltrate government.

Truss is much less likely to have the JRM/Nadines in government because she won’t need them.
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,059
    Cookie said:

Andy_JS said:

"@SkyNews

Eh?
    That is possibly the stupidest thing a council leader has said since Liverpool's Mike Storey back in about 2003, who, when the format of registration plates changed, went on North West tonight to say that it was insensitive of the DVLA to make cars registered in Liverpool bear the letter M (nominally for 'Manchester and Merseyside' but Cllr Storey was very cross Liverpool lost out on L to London).
    Fair point if you ask me. London should have got ‘M’ for ‘Metropolis’, Liverpool and Manchester ‘L’ for ‘Liverpool and Lancashire’.

edited July 2022
    Liz Truss was allegedly the target of gammons when she was first selected for SW Norfolk in about 2009.

Remember the "Turnip Taliban" affair?

https://metro.co.uk/2009/11/16/the-turnip-taliban-back-affair-tory-elizabeth-truss-559121/

"The meeting, attended by about 200 people, was called in Swaffham, Norfolk, after association members complained they were not told of Ms Truss’s affair with Tory MP Mark Field before they chose her as their candidate last month. Their anger sparked tensions with the national party because Ms Truss is on David Cameron’s A-list of potential candidates, designed to increase the proportion of women and ethnic minority Tory MPs."

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

A cultural change

Even good weather.

Cairo - CAIRO - 37C

London? 40C
    A river runs through most British cities.
    There are some mad, rabbit-hole PB arguments, and then there's "40C is a lovely moderate temperature in most of the world, and people often fly out for holidays hoping to enjoy the cremation of their major organs, sorry, stretching out in the sun in pleasant 40C heat"
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

A cultural change

Even good weather.

Cairo - CAIRO - 37C

London? 40C
    Sean, stop being such an arse.

If you weren’t such a right wing looney you might be taken seriously, but until you start advocating serious policies for cooling down the planet, STFU.
    Stop calling me Sean. It's tiresome, it's impolite, it's boring for everyone else, and you might end up getting banned, so it's inadvisable

But, can she do the job?

Yes.

3) Bona fide republican
    But a huge negative in that she abandoned them for personal gain. So there we are.
  • boulayboulay Posts: 3,771

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

A cultural change

Even good weather.

Cairo - CAIRO - 37C

London? 40C

Cherrypicking today's date doesn't make
    today's weather extreme for all those places. Yes the UK was momentarily hotter than New Delhi today, but New Delhi's record temperature isn't momentarily breaking 40.3C . . . it is 49C

His general point is correct though. High 30’s upwards are not pleasant.

I’m lucky and have a pool, amazing beaches within a few minutes drive but it’s not much use when you have to do normal day to day crap and the life is being sucked out of you by heat.

It doesn’t matter if you drive off in an air-conditioned car because you have to get out and it makes it worse. And the thought of having been on the beach these last few days is horrific.

Sitting outside drinking in that heat is grim and counter-productive so not actually that sociable. Eating in that heat is not overly enjoyable whatever concoction of food you choose.

The country isn’t set up for heat yet in the summer. And even if it was then it’s not great.

I’ve been loving swimming at 10pm every night but I would be happy with mid 20’s that stay warm into the evening so you can enjoy the evenings without needing a jumper.

However living day to day life in mid-30s up is not ideal and whilst amusing for 24 hours or so I would take comfortable but joyful mid 20’s every time.

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

A cultural change

Even good weather.

Cairo - CAIRO - 37C

London? 40C
    What about Riyadh.

THAT's how hot London was today, beaten only a by a few capitals in the Mid East, but hotter than Tehran (and hotter than almost every other capital city on earth)
    What's the capital of Brazil? Hint: It's NOT Rio! :lol:
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

A cultural change

Even good weather.

Cairo - CAIRO - 37C

London? 40C
    What about Riyadh.

I saw only 41.3ºC at the airport in Dubai today, at around 13:30 local time. It was an overcast and hazy day out here.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,043

Minus two in Timbuktu

But it's rainier in Mauritania.
    edited July 2022
    Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

England is the odd one out with junior doctor contracts as a new one was controversially introduced in 2016. In the rest of the nations, junior doctors are paid a base salary and then a "banding" that reflects the antisocial hours. These are either 1A = 1.5×base; 1B = 1.4×base and 1C = 1.2×base. A Monday to Friday 0900-1700 job with no OOH will be unbanded.

In Scotland, the base FY1 salary is £26,462. Practically all jobs will have a 1.4 or 1.5 banding so £37048-£39,683 gross pro rata.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/JuniorDoctorsUK/comments/tye7ek/confused_about_fy1_pay_in_scotland/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    DougSeal said:

Cookie said:

Andy_JS said:

"@SkyNews

Eh?
    Fair point if you ask me. London should have got ‘M’ for ‘Metropolis’, Liverpool and Manchester ‘L’ for ‘Liverpool and Lancashire’.

Isn't L for Loser....
  • WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,480
    edited July 2022
    Cookie said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

A cultural change

Even good weather.

Cairo - CAIRO - 37C

London? 40C
    That's true, but also London's runs out to the estuary and the sea, and strategically located for the Continent. That's why London still hates Brexit.
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

A cultural change

Even good weather.

Cairo - CAIRO - 37C

London? 40C
    But it's the ideal spot for a big city as far away as possible from Scotland. yet still in the British Isles. As such, perfect
    Leon said:

There are some mad, rabbit-hole PB arguments, and then there's "40C is a lovely moderate temperature in most of the world, and people often fly out for holidays hoping to enjoy the cremation of their major organs, sorry, stretching out in the sun in pleasant 40C heat"

I thought you were saying how much you were enjoying 38C in Montenegro only a few weeks ago?
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

A cultural change

Even good weather.

Cairo - CAIRO - 37C

London? 40C
    This is true.
    Yet many in London seem to regard it as central, and easy for everyone not in London to get to (although mysteriously, those holding this view often also seem to believe that anywhere else in the country is very difficult to get to if you are starting out from London.)
    Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

A cultural change

Even good weather.

Cairo - CAIRO - 37C

London? 40C
    But it's the ideal spot for a big city as far away as possible from Scotland. yet still in the British Isles. As such, perfect
    Ofx course, even more perfect when it's capital of the rUK.

BTW you didn't say about the parakeets earlier? Genuinely interested, in view of your lockdown comments.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    England ODI more of a shit show than the Tory leadership race.
  • SandraMcSandraMc Posts: 582
    They freeze in Belize..

But in Mumbai they fry.
  • Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

A cultural change

Even good weather.

Cairo - CAIRO - 37C

London? 40C
    What about Riyadh.

Record temperatures:

Riyadh 47.2
    Dubai 49.0
    Baghdad 51.8
    Tehran 53.9
    Melbourne 46.4
    Sydney 45.8
    Perth 46.2
    Phoenix 50

Yes today was hotter, at the peak, than some of the world - but those parts of the world don't peak at today's temperatures, they've peaked at 6, 10 or 14C higher - which is a massive difference.

Taking one locations record and comparing it against a random date and another place doesn't really prove much.

Much of Australia will get 40C or higher weather on some dates every year typically, and the beaches would be absolutely packed on those days not abandoned.

People absolutely do travel to Australia for the Aussie summer!
    edited July 2022

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

A cultural change

Even good weather.

Cairo - CAIRO - 37C

London? 40C
    They liked York and Lincoln for the same reasons. Newcastle too.
  • WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,480
    edited July 2022
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

A cultural change

Even good weather.

Cairo - CAIRO - 37C

London? 40C
    Yup, but as mentioned the Thames estuary provides the strategic link straight down to the Continental coast. London's climate is too very often the most like the Continent's. It's somehow in London's makeup.
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

I thought you were saying how much you were enjoying 38C in Montenegro only a few weeks ago?
    I doubt it because I was mainly in Tivat, which is a steady 30-35 in summer (temperatures I love). If it gets over 35, it starts to get too much

https://www.yourweather.co.uk/weather_Tivat-Europe-Serbia+and+Montenegro-Tivat-LYTV-1-12255.html

And of course I was in an airconned apartment literally 2 metres from the pleasingly cool (but not cold) Adriatic
  • boulayboulay Posts: 3,771
    SandraMc said:

They freeze in Belize..

But in Mumbai they fry.

It’s cold as ice in Nice

Harry Cole
    @MrHarryCole
    ·
    11m
    Sunak spotted on the Terrace for the second time this week.. and possibly ever

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

A cultural change

Even good weather.

Cairo - CAIRO - 37C

London? 40C
    Yup, but as mentioned the Thames estuary provides the strategic link straight down to the Continental coast. It's somehow in London's makeup.
    Pointless if the hinterland will insist on voting in the Brexiters.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Lol Delaware has told Musk to fuck off with his bullshit and set court date for October.

This is the bad outcome for Musk.
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

A cultural change

Even good weather.

Cairo - CAIRO - 37C

London? 40C

BTW you didn't say about the parakeets earlier? Genuinely interested, in view of your lockdown comments.
    Silent. The whole park was silent. No parakeets (but then there aren't that many in Regent's Park yet). But no other notable birdsong either. I guess even birds get too hot to puff their chests and warble?

It was decidedly eerie. Totally deserted so no human voices. No sports, no laughter. Zip

Only the sound of that hot breeze in dry twigs, and leaf litter being stirred and annoyed
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,393
    Outside temperature now dropped sufficiency to adopt Plan C - all doors and windows open.
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,008

But, can she do the job?

Yes.

3) Bona fide republican
    Do you ever get bored of trolling?
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 4,530
    Paris reached 40.4c today so hotter than London . The last time I looked that was a capital city !
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,341
    Andy_JS said:

Changing the rules would show that the contestants understand the scale of the disaster Johnson inflicted on the party
    Danny Finkelstein" (£)

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/time-to-cut-members-out-of-tory-leadership-contest-jk6kkpc02

And so it goes full circle

..........Magic Circle
    Grey Suits
    MPs
    MPs and members (we are at this point now)
    Throwing cards into a top hat at the Drones
    Magic Circle.............
    edited July 2022
    Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

A cultural change

Even good weather.

Cairo - CAIRO - 37C

London? 40C

Silent. The whole park was silent. No parakeets (but then there aren't that many in Regent's Park yet). But no other notable birdsong either. I guess even birds get too hot to puff their chests and warble?

It was decidedly eerie. Totally deserted so no human voices. No sports, no laughter. Zip

Only the sound of that hot breeze in dry twigs, and leaf litter being stirred and annoyed
    Thank you! Birds do tend to sing most at dawn and evening, anyway.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 14,772
    edited July 2022

But, can she do the job?

Yes.

How about we set some metrics to judge whether Liz Truss' next two years are a success or not? I would suggest:

1. Living standards rising rather than falling.
    2. Budget deficit falling rather than rising.
    3. Unemployment not rising.
    4. NHS waiting list backlog being reduced.
    5. UK still popular among Ukrainians as an ally who sticks by its word.

I won't even stick anything in there about tackling global warming, or levelling up the north, or a bunch of other important policy areas, because we might disagree on what success would look like anyway, and it's best to keep things simple - and these are the very essentials of what the government has to do. It has to keep a handle on the economy, it has to mind the NHS, and it has to not fail the major foreign policy challenge of the century so far.

Given Truss' stated policies I have severe doubts on 1, 2 and 4, with 3 being at risk as a knock-on consequence of failures on 1 and 2, and 5 a saving grace if the economy isn't sunk so severely that we can no longer afford to provide help.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

A cultural change

Even good weather.

Cairo - CAIRO - 37C

London? 40C

It was 15 degrees in my home village. 6 degrees forecast tonight. So bored of BBC and SeanT hyperbole.
    WTF has your home village got to do with it? You live in Scandiboria, you are presently in Cyprus, you are a cut out n keep Scot in your own eyes, and it is the BBC not the SDBC. What point do you think you are making here?
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,957

But, can she do the job?

Yes.

3) Bona fide republican
    Do you ever get bored of trolling?
    You're sounding like a ScotNat.

I dropped those truth bombs (and relevant videos) in one of the Tory member WhatsApp groups I'm a part of, I think I've switched half of them from anyone but Sunak to anyone but Truss.

But, can she do the job?

Yes.

Tragic.

Would you care to point out which bit of that I've got wrong and why or is all you have ad hominem?
    algarkirk said:

Andy_JS said:

Danny Finkelstein" (£)

And so it goes full circle

..........Magic Circle
    Grey Suits
    MPs
    MPs and members (we are at this point now)
    Throwing cards into a top hat at the Drones
    Magic Circle.............
    Perhaps they need to go through one more members' related disaster first?

Seems on the cards at the moment.

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

A cultural change

Even good weather.

Cairo - CAIRO - 37C

London? 40C
    Yup, but as mentioned the Thames estuary provides the strategic link straight down to the Continental coast. London's climate is too very often the most like the Continent's. It's somehow in London's makeup.
    Come to think of it, Rutupiae/Richborough was the main access route at least for the Army, wasn't it? Just as it was in WW1 - also a big military port. Not quite in the estuary.

What the commercials did in their own time was another matter.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    Rain! Hopefully a lot of it too, my lawn is looking pretty rubbish.

Just need another 5 degrees off the temperature and it won't be so bad.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392

I don't think even Liz Truss is mad enough to make JRM Chancellor.

Mad enough to keep him in Cabinet, something even Boris only did when he ran out of options, and made sure it was a job where he could do little more than wander about annoying civil servants not at their desks, is bad enough.

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

A cultural change

Even good weather.

Cairo - CAIRO - 37C

London? 40C
    What about Riyadh.

Record temperatures:

Riyadh 47.2
    Dubai 49.0
    Baghdad 51.8
    Tehran 53.9
    Melbourne 46.4
    Sydney 45.8
    Perth 46.2
    Phoenix 50

Yes today was hotter, at the peak, than some of the world - but those parts of the world don't peak at today's temperatures, they've peaked at 6, 10 or 14C higher - which is a massive difference.

Taking one locations record and comparing it against a random date and another place doesn't really prove much.

Much of Australia will get 40C or higher weather on some dates every year typically, and the beaches would be absolutely packed on those days not abandoned.

Please take this the right way, but I honestly think it would be better for you if - just sometimes - you fessed up and said Yeah. I'm talking shit, got that wrong, whatever, lol - and moved on. It's quite a relief to admit that you're totally wrong, sometimes. And it happens to us all. Just let it slide. You don't have to win every argument and neither do you have to fight every argument to a tedious stalemate to save face

There is no lost face in laughing and saying Whoops, WTF am I on about - quite the opposite. It is humanizing

And I speak as someone who is - or was - furiously competitive and I used to hate losing the most trivial arguments. When I learned that it didn't matter, it was liberating
    OnboardG1 said:

Andy_JS said:

"The Conservative party has ceased to be serious
    Liz Truss is worst-placed to win over Labour voters. Naturally, she's the favourite.
    James Kirkup" (£)

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/the-conservative-party-has-ceased-to-be-serious

Strange days when I agree with the Speccie
    Problem with the hypotheticals is someone inclined to back Liz is not likely to simply accept she is worst placed to win over Labour voters, and it cannot be definitively proven.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,738
    Cookie said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

A cultural change

Even good weather.

Cairo - CAIRO - 37C

London? 40C
    What is the largest conurbation in England without a river in it? Cannock must surely be near the top, and it's hardly large.
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

A cultural change

Even good weather.

Cairo - CAIRO - 37C

London? 40C

Ten parakeets have just flown over my garden in South Manchester, if it's of any help.
    stodge said:

But, can she do the job?

Yes.

As a non-Conservative, a lot of that is irrelevant.

If we're putting "not an idiot" as a positive, that's pretty thin gruel. None of the candidates are idiots. The ideas they put forward might be considered by me as being idiotic but that doesn't mean the proponents are themselves idiots.

"Retail Offer" - if we're talking unfunded tax cuts plus a big increase in defence spending colour me unimpressed. That's economic illiteracy as I'm sure you would agree - I would like to know how these tax cuts are going to be funded and where and how public spending is going to be impacted.

"Standing up to Putin and Russia" - I'd argue most British Governments (and I include a Starmer-led Labour administration) would have acted strongly against the Russian invasion of Ukraine. Some might have gone stronger on the quality of support rather than the photo-ops but that's Johnson's style. I'm certain Sunak, Wallace, Mordaunt, Tugendhat, Badenoch and others, had they been Prime Minister, would have been equally robust in their support for Zelenskyy.

If she's going to offer re-hashed Thatcherism (which was going to be Johnson's offering pre-pandemic) then nothing is being challenged either. It's the same tedious monetarist orthodoxy which is great for the wealthy but actually does very little for the working poor.
    I'm not so sure actually. I think Sunak would have been softer and more worried about the impact on the bottom line. He has a very managerial approach to government.

You're right on the retail offer but there is a scenario where she offers something credible, along the lines of what @MaxPB laid out earlier.
  • MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    edited July 2022

But, can she do the job?

Yes.

Tragic.

But, can she do the job?

Yes.

Tragic.

Thanks for the list Casino, I appreciate you have really tried, and I had a good think how to reply to all that more politely than Dixo.

But it doesn’t deserve a more polite response than Dixos.

An opportunist career girl who brown noses relentlessly will tick every single box you invented whilst still being a hapless fraud. And you are spinning it in favour whilst conceding she is rubbish communicator - while communicating is the number 1 priority skill set for the job she is applying for.

Even if the Conservatives go on to lose in 24 under Rishi, at least they limit the damage, otherwise thrown out for being diabolical at running the economy and managing Brexit stays with the voters for how many general elections? As my Dad told me last week, it’s not just the one election loss at stake here.
  • Peak Melbourne temperatures by year (and Melbourne is on the South coast and not the hottest city in Australia) for the past decade:

2021 41C
    2020 43C
    2019 46C
    2018 42C
    2017 38C
    2016 43C
    2015 43C
    2014 44C
    2013 42C

So today's peak was a few degrees below Melbourne's peak every single year in the past decade apart from 2017 - and millions of tourists visit Aus every year with tourism peaking in their summer. The beaches would be full in this weather, not empty.
    Andy_JS said:

Danny Finkelstein" (£)

Bit late for that, even though cutting out members from both parties selections would make sense.
  • kjhkjh Posts: 10,458
    Eating and drinking out having travelled for hours in the heat. I feel like I am abroad. I'm in Liverpool.
    edited July 2022
    "“I often spend my time sounding like a Lib Dem”: Rory Stewart on the fractured Tory party

The former Conservative MP and one-time leadership candidate shares his thoughts on Boris Johnson and the race to become prime minister.
    By Rachel Cunliffe" (£)

https://www.newstatesman.com/encounter/2022/07/rory-stewart-interview-lib-dem-fractured-tory-party
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

A cultural change

Even good weather.

Cairo - CAIRO - 37C

London? 40C
    What about Riyadh.

Record temperatures:

Riyadh 47.2
    Dubai 49.0
    Baghdad 51.8
    Tehran 53.9
    Melbourne 46.4
    Sydney 45.8
    Perth 46.2
    Phoenix 50

Please take this the right way, but I honestly think it would be better for you if - just sometimes - you fessed up and said Yeah. I'm talking shit, got that wrong, whatever, lol - and moved on. It's quite a relief to admit that you're totally wrong, sometimes. And it happens to us all. Just let it slide. You don't have to win every argument and neither do you have to fight every argument to a tedious stalemate to save face

There is no lost face in laughing and saying Whoops, WTF am I on about - quite the opposite. It is humanizing

And I speak as someone who is - or was - furiously competitive and I used to hate losing the most trivial arguments. When I learned that it didn't matter, it was liberating
    Fairly rarely for posters on pb.com, Barty has done this quite recently, to his credit.
    kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

Danny Finkelstein" (£)

Bit late for that, even though cutting out members from both parties selections would make sense.
    But what would that do to party membership numbers? The party turkeys aren’t going to vote for Christmas.
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 4,530
    Liz Truss failed to support the judiciary after the disgusting attacks on them by the cesspit right wing press . She sold out UK farmers . She got schooled by Lavrov and will be a puppet for the ERG and destroy what’s left of the UKs reputation .

She has zero empathy , has a creepy obsession with Maggie’s wardrobe and was a Bozo lapdog .

Apart from that she’s marvelous !
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,787
    Visa free travel for refugees coming to Ireland from safe European countries to be suspended

https://twitter.com/irishtimes/status/1549087378102296576
    Cookie said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

A cultural change

Even good weather.

Cairo - CAIRO - 37C

London? 40C

Ten parakeets have just flown over my garden in South Manchester, if it's of any help.
    ...followed by another 16 or so.
    I remember being astonished when I saw my first about five years ago. Now they barely merit looking up for. There is a massive colony of them by Jackson's Bridge in Sale on my cycle route to work, and it's rare now that I don't see them.
    Presumably there will come a point when their population will stabilise...?
    nico679 said:

Liz Truss failed to support the judiciary after the disgusting attacks on them by the cesspit right wing press . She sold out UK farmers . She got schooled by Lavrov and will be a puppet for the ERG and destroy what’s left of the UKs reputation .

She has zero empathy , has a creepy obsession with Maggie’s wardrobe and was a Bozo lapdog .

I guess we’ll put you in the undecided column? ;)
  • CatManCatMan Posts: 2,721

England ODI more of a shit show than the Tory leadership race.

The South Africans are more used to this weather :sunglasses:
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,738
    nico679 said:

As I said to @MrEd the other day, call me Dr Suspicious but I get the feeling you're not a fan.

(Which is a shame as I could really do with one right now, it's too hot.)
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

A cultural change

Even good weather.

Cairo - CAIRO - 37C

London? 40C
    In defence of the troglodytes who first settled there and those who followed them, it's pretty hard to predict which territories might end up coming together.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,085
    ydoethur said:

Cookie said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

A cultural change

Even good weather.

Cairo - CAIRO - 37C

London? 40C
    What is the largest conurbation in England without a river in it? Cannock must surely be near the top, and it's hardly large.
    Technically, it might be Portsmouth, though not in a satisfactory way.

Much the same might be said of the ambitions of one of Portsmouth's MPs.

Leon said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

A cultural change

Even good weather.

Cairo - CAIRO - 37C

London? 40C
    What about Riyadh.

Record temperatures:

Riyadh 47.2
    Dubai 49.0
    Baghdad 51.8
    Tehran 53.9
    Melbourne 46.4
    Sydney 45.8
    Perth 46.2
    Phoenix 50

Fairly rarely for posters on pb.com, Barty has done this quite recently, to his credit.
    Actually, yes, he has: on trans bullying of lesbian women into sex. I remember. Fair play to him

He possibly needs to do it a bit more, however, or at least not pursue futile arguments to the exhaustion of all utility, for everyone
  • MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    stodge said:

Endillion said:

I did vote buckethead. It is true.

But what is Mayor actually saying there, everything has to stop, rather than just take precautions and be sensible about it? Cancel all sport. Cancel all politics, cancel all shopping? Close all pubs and bars, cancel all beer gardens?

How about a few words from him on now we are 40+ London now and heat domes more regular on us, how he will now change his own policys and push for change on infrastructure planning, transport planning, environmental planning, and extreme weather planning and messaging - instead of a rather inane party political dig?

You know I’m right.

You mean Binface.

Who would have done a better job than the utter narcissist we elected instead.
    I seem to recall the Conservative Mayor of London weighing in on the Labour leadership election in 2015 - it's all part of the warp and weft of politics. The Mayor of London is a position with no meaningful power but a lot of prestige and presence so it naturally attracts politicians with big egos who like to play to the crowd.

On the substantive - how London can be better prepared for hotter temperatures in the future - there's not a lot the Mayor can do because his office doesn't have any real power. At local level, the Boroughs are responsible for immediate mitigation (Newham has opened four public buildings as "cool shelters" with fans and free water/soft drinks targeted mainly but not exclusively at the elderly and the homeless (let's not forget them, it's not much fun sleeping rough in these conditions)).

As for infrastructural changes to roads, tube lines and the like, that will take millions if not billions in capital investment and that can only come from central Government. The idea of a non air con tube in this weather stopping in a deep tunnel terrifies me - it's probably nearer 50c in some of the deeper tunnels)
    I disagree. He can get reports. He can consult. He can fact find. He can have a plan. And he can lobby. Even where he cannot decide stuff, a decent Mayor can do all that.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

A cultural change

Even good weather.

Cairo - CAIRO - 37C

London? 40C
    What about Riyadh.

Record temperatures:

Riyadh 47.2
    Dubai 49.0
    Baghdad 51.8
    Tehran 53.9
    Melbourne 46.4
    Sydney 45.8
    Perth 46.2
    Phoenix 50

You are losing it, mate. You have just said "If you need to cover from this, I wouldn't recommend you visit Death Valley." either you have never been there, or only in some sort of record winter low, cos I can fucking promise you that in normal conditions you stop and get out of your aircon car, you think Jesus Christ for about 2 seconds, you get back in car and fuck off. If you think different you have either never been there or are a reptile. You think back to glorious Australian childhood 40s like the English think back to snowy Christmas days. Didn't happen.
    Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

Danny Finkelstein" (£)

But what would that do to party membership numbers? The party turkeys aren’t going to vote for Christmas.
    Oh it won't happen with either, but its interesting members didn't use to be involved, when there were more of them. Members expect more now.
  • Leon said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

A cultural change

Even good weather.

Cairo - CAIRO - 37C

London? 40C
    What about Riyadh.

Record temperatures:

Riyadh 47.2
    Dubai 49.0
    Baghdad 51.8
    Tehran 53.9
    Melbourne 46.4
    Sydney 45.8
    Perth 46.2
    Phoenix 50

Except I'm not wrong, I've lived for years in a city where 40C temperatures are seen almost every summer as a matter of course - and tourists flock there in no small part for the glorious weather. Other people who've lived in similarly hot locales, like @Sandpit have confirmed what I said that 40C is just not that exceptional for much of the world.

Not to forget that almost all the time, almost all of the UK was in the 30s (or below in Scotland) not in the 40s today.

Yeah we had some good weather today, its unfortunately exceptional, but other places including where I've personally lived in the past enjoy this as a matter of course as normal weather not unprecedentedly hot peaks.

Of course they're more set up to enjoy it, but it doesn't take much to get yourselves set up to enjoy it here either. My pool in the garden cost me £50, last year to buy and is now on its second summer. Its cost me £3 this year to buy some bicycle inner tube patches to use on it as it got some scratches and however much the water cost to fill it up, thankfully I'm not on a metre for the water so even that won't have been much.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,878
    kjh said:

Eating and drinking out having travelled for hours in the heat. I feel like I am abroad. I'm in Liverpool.

To a southerner like me that is abroad...
    Andy_JS said:

Danny Finkelstein" (£)

Johnson won the MPs and the members. May won the MPs and would have the members on the polling. Cameron won the MPs and the members.

Rishi isn't winning the MPs here and he probably won't win the members.

The members aren't the problem here. This goes back to 2001 and the belief that Ken Clarke was robbed by the rank & file.

(Interestingly, that was also a near three-way where the MPs couldn't decide - and Clarke had most voting against him)
    Andy_JS said:

"“I often spend my time sounding like a Lib Dem”: Rory Stewart on the fractured Tory party

Perhaps there's a lesson in that, eh, Rory?
  • alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    As a general rule, high temperatures are more bearable in much of the world than in U.K. due to humidity levels. And that’s before you take into account lack of air conditioning.
    Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

A cultural change

Even good weather.

Cairo - CAIRO - 37C

London? 40C

I remember being astonished when I saw my first about five years ago. Now they barely merit looking up for. There is a massive colony of them by Jackson's Bridge in Sale on my cycle route to work, and it's rare now that I don't see them.
    Yes, they used to be these special, magical fragments of the tropics. Now they are so common they border on annoying, especially as they are so loud

The rhododendrons of birds

However I do love the urban myths that surround them, especially the idea they all come from a breeding pair accidentally released by Jimi Hendrix from his Mayfair apartment in the 1960s
    Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

A cultural change

Even good weather.

Cairo - CAIRO - 37C

London? 40C

I guess their numbers would stabilise once they start to reach the limit of food availability, and/or something starts eating them or their eggs/chicks. I wonder if they are out-competing some native bird species for certain foods?
This discussion has been closed.