Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Liz Truss now odds-on favourite in the CON leadership betting – politicalbetting.com

15678911»

Comments

• ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,768

ydoethur said:

Pro_Rata said:

ydoethur said:

Cookie said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

That's the first time I have ever heard a newscaster turn to a weather forecaster and say "Ah thankyou, thank God it's getting cooler and rainier" (or words to that extent)

A cultural change

Nothing could be more stereotypically British culture than moaning about the weather.

Even good weather.
    It's all about perspective, but about 98% of humanity would not call 40C "good weather"

But you do you, it's a free country
    Get a cold drink and a pool and stay hydrated. Its glorious weather.

People pay good money to travel to enjoy this weather.
    Nobody ever flies: hoping to encounter 40C

Why? Because it is too dangerously hot to do anything by day (especially with burning sun). You can't go walking, you can't play sport, you can't lie on a beach, you can't have picnics, it is stifling for the healthy and dangerous for the vulnerable. All you can do is cower indoors in aircon, or shrink away into shade and pray it goes

It's just not fun. You might find it fun, but, really, virtually all other humans do not
    Nobody does? Don't be silly. For someone who claims to be so well travelled you seem to be ignorant of the fact that this is moderate weather for much of the world. And beaches will be packed in this heat too, anywhere with popular beaches that is used to this weather.

If you need to cover from this, I wouldn't recommend you visit Death Valley.
    The UK was one of the hottest places on earth, today. 40C is not "moderate weather for much of the world"

This is palpable bollocks, like your claim that Florida sees 40C for six months of the year

And, speaking as an experienced traveller, I can assure you that no one flies in the hope of being greeted by 40C when they arrive

This is a stupid argument. You are wrong. I know you find that hard to accept. but it would probably be better for your mood if you learned how to admit, occasionally, that Yes, you can be wrong
    Except that, he’s right. Large parts of the US, Europe and the Middle East have been hotter than the UK this week.

No he's not. 40C is not "moderate weather for much of the world"

It is universally considered as "stinking hot" by almost everyone

And London was one of THE hottest capital cities on earth, today. Very few went over 40C

Madrid: 35C
    Rome: 37C
    Berlin: 35C
    Cairo - CAIRO - 37C
    Moscow: 20C
    New Delhi - NEW DELHI - 32C
    Beijing: 34C
    Tokyo: 36C
    Jakarta: 33C
    Rio de Janeiro:27C
    Mexico City: 28C

London? 40C
    Rio hasn't been the capital of Brazil for over 50 years!
    Of course, London is out on the fringes of the UK anyway. Crap position for a capital of England, never mind the UK.
    But a river runs through. That's what the Romans liked too.
    A river runs through most British cities.
    What is the largest conurbation in England without a river in it? Cannock must surely be near the top, and it's hardly large.
    As a starter, I'm going to offer as guesses a couple of major cities whose rivers are pretty small by comparison.

Bradford - a few miles south of the Aire on little more than Dykes and Ditches.
    Birmingham - the Brum Tame is hardly a mighty force

Nowhere is totally away from a river, but gut feeling is some pretty big places span some pretty major watersheds.
    Birmingham actually has three rivers - the Cole, the Rea and the Tame - although as you note none are very large at the time they flow through it.

I know next to nothing about Bradford, so I'll take your word for it.
    Brighton and Hove has no river, just the sea. Around 300k population.
    Does the Wellesbourne count?

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/10736667.our-lost-river/
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,461
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Pro_Rata said:

ydoethur said:

Cookie said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

That's the first time I have ever heard a newscaster turn to a weather forecaster and say "Ah thankyou, thank God it's getting cooler and rainier" (or words to that extent)

A cultural change

Nothing could be more stereotypically British culture than moaning about the weather.

Even good weather.
    It's all about perspective, but about 98% of humanity would not call 40C "good weather"

But you do you, it's a free country
    Get a cold drink and a pool and stay hydrated. Its glorious weather.

People pay good money to travel to enjoy this weather.
    Nobody ever flies: hoping to encounter 40C

Why? Because it is too dangerously hot to do anything by day (especially with burning sun). You can't go walking, you can't play sport, you can't lie on a beach, you can't have picnics, it is stifling for the healthy and dangerous for the vulnerable. All you can do is cower indoors in aircon, or shrink away into shade and pray it goes

It's just not fun. You might find it fun, but, really, virtually all other humans do not
    Nobody does? Don't be silly. For someone who claims to be so well travelled you seem to be ignorant of the fact that this is moderate weather for much of the world. And beaches will be packed in this heat too, anywhere with popular beaches that is used to this weather.

If you need to cover from this, I wouldn't recommend you visit Death Valley.
    The UK was one of the hottest places on earth, today. 40C is not "moderate weather for much of the world"

This is palpable bollocks, like your claim that Florida sees 40C for six months of the year

And, speaking as an experienced traveller, I can assure you that no one flies in the hope of being greeted by 40C when they arrive

This is a stupid argument. You are wrong. I know you find that hard to accept. but it would probably be better for your mood if you learned how to admit, occasionally, that Yes, you can be wrong
    Except that, he’s right. Large parts of the US, Europe and the Middle East have been hotter than the UK this week.

No he's not. 40C is not "moderate weather for much of the world"

It is universally considered as "stinking hot" by almost everyone

And London was one of THE hottest capital cities on earth, today. Very few went over 40C

Madrid: 35C
    Rome: 37C
    Berlin: 35C
    Cairo - CAIRO - 37C
    Moscow: 20C
    New Delhi - NEW DELHI - 32C
    Beijing: 34C
    Tokyo: 36C
    Jakarta: 33C
    Rio de Janeiro:27C
    Mexico City: 28C

London? 40C
    Rio hasn't been the capital of Brazil for over 50 years!
    Of course, London is out on the fringes of the UK anyway. Crap position for a capital of England, never mind the UK.
    But a river runs through. That's what the Romans liked too.
    A river runs through most British cities.
    What is the largest conurbation in England without a river in it? Cannock must surely be near the top, and it's hardly large.
    As a starter, I'm going to offer as guesses a couple of major cities whose rivers are pretty small by comparison.

Bradford - a few miles south of the Aire on little more than Dykes and Ditches.
    Birmingham - the Brum Tame is hardly a mighty force

Nowhere is totally away from a river, but gut feeling is some pretty big places span some pretty major watersheds.
    Birmingham actually has three rivers - the Cole, the Rea and the Tame - although as you note none are very large at the time they flow through it.

I know next to nothing about Bradford, so I'll take your word for it.
    Brighton and Hove has no river, just the sea. Around 300k population.
    Does the Wellesbourne count?

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/10736667.our-lost-river/
    No. It got lost.
This discussion has been closed.