Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

How will the Tory betting look after tonight’s TV debate? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,085
    Do the headbangers still try and get Truss so she can ram through as much of their agenda as possible before a 1997 style shellacking?
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,270
    edited July 2022
    GIN1138 said:

My scores on the doors

Tom - 7 (Pleasantly surprised)
    Kemi - 7 (I knew she's be good and didn't disappoint)
    Penny - 6 (Wobbled early on but got better)
    Rishi - 4 (The do nothing, tax dodging Prime Minister with millions in the bank)
    Liz - 1 (Absolutely woeful)

Were you watching Coronation Street?

Sunak, an 8. The remaining order is as you say, but I am deducting a point from each of them.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,534
    Kemi's teeth will hold her back, it's a bit like Rishi's height, and other political baldies.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,134
    Leon said:

I think we can all agree that Penny is no longer the candidate "Labour fears the most"

I am trying to be neutral - honestly - and I am not so sure. Mordaunt gained over the hour. She is new to this. Sunak was predictably smooth but no more, he has been COTE and he's Winchester/Oxford, he has the confidence and glisten, but that's it. Any ideas? Nope

Badenoch faded after a great start. She needs a lot of time to mature - she needs a big job in Cabinet. She's got a lot of potential. Truss was a calamity and Tugendhat was an irrelevant soldier talking about Tobruk, or whatever it was

I would still be wary of Mordaunt, if I were Labour. She's the one who could maintain much of the Red Wall and hold the Blue Wall. She is learning on the game. Also, she is withstanding intense nasty pressure from her opponents, but she still looks dignified

I'm still Team Penny (as much as I care)
    Tldr; they are all shit.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Scott_xP said:

🚨BREAKING - SNAP DEBATE POLL🚨

Tonight we asked over 1000 normal voters to watch the debate and we have just asked them who they thought performed best.

Results:
    Tugendhat 36%
    Sunak 25%
    Mordaunt 12%
    Badenoch 12%
    Truss 6% https://twitter.com/OpiniumResearch/status/1548037032248717318/photo/1

Yay for Tom Major!
    I want to know whose shirts he wears
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,914

I think Mordaunt's problem is that she isn't political enough. She's treating it like a job interview and making herself completely bland.

I think she would be horribly found out if she ends up running the country in the current dire circumstances.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,402

Leon said:

God, Boris was better than this bunch

*help*

On the other hand, Starmer is worse than several of them

*yay*

No and not really, just the one.
    Starmer is fairly shit. Sorry. But he is, and let us not forget this. He only got the job because so many more talented players fled the field during the Corbyn Terror

Starmer would be worried by the working class female Mordaunt, he might struggle against BME woman Badenoch, or not (because she is such a wildcard). He would be certainly equalled by Sunak (and probably outfoxed on financial matters)

He'd only be truly confident against Tugendhat (posh white inexperienced soldier, easy easy) or the ridiculous Truss
  • Options
    OnboardG1OnboardG1 Posts: 1,291

A week is a long time in politics....

Staplerfahrer Mogg about to set off on his first day of real work then?
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,864
    I just watched the opening speeches of the ConHome debate earlier and Truss’s was best.

😂😂😂
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,657
    kle4 said:

No one should have a bad final statement. It's the one thing you can 100% prepare for. If you cock that up you should quit the race.

Talking of which, how many times did Spend-a-Penny say "cock" this evening?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

*help*

*yay*

Starmer is fairly shit. Sorry. But he is, and let us not forget this. He only got the job because so many more talented players fled the field during the Corbyn Terror

Starmer would be worried by the working class female Mordaunt, he might struggle against BME woman Badenoch, or not (because she is such a wildcard). He would be certainly equalled by Sunak (and probably outfoxed on financial matters)

He'd only be truly confident against Tugendhat (posh white inexperienced soldier, easy easy) or the ridiculous Truss
    Keir Starmer is working class, why are you so dishonest?
  • Options
    TimS said:

Sunak seemed reasonably serious and on top of his brief, but unexciting. Truss is awful. The rest just seemed poor.

My wife’s comment on Kemi: she sounded like she was in an interview for school prefect.

I think it's fair to say that nation is not spoilt for choice
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,875

kle4 said:

Leon said:

But which one would you have sexual relations with?

For me it's got to be Penny, and I'd accept a blow job from Sunak mainly because he could do it immediately and wouldn't even have to kneel

*sorry, Mike*

Rishi is a sexy bastard.
    Thank goodness you didn't act surprised he is sexy.

Your ‘strange’ crush on Rishi Sunak could actually be a racist fetish

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/rishi-sunak-conservative-crush-vogue-white-women-flora-e-gill-a9456036.html
    Its a fetish alright.
    'Fetish' is a strange word. It has three different meanings. And almost always its use leads to the worst misunderstanding ...
  • Options
    StereodogStereodog Posts: 400
    My ranking for tonight based on what I think the actual selectorate will think:

1.) Rishi- He had grown up answers and the audience liked a lot of them. Did enough to keep the mainstream MPs onside

2.) Penny- I didn’t think she was brilliant but I don’t think she’ll have frightened anyone from the other candidate’s camps into not backing her.

3.) Kemi- She came across really well but I don’t think she will have answered the all important question of experience. You can’t keep calling things out in the name of honesty if you don’t actually have any answers.

4.) Tom- Seemed to be running for leader of the Lib Dems by doing a Nick Clegg impression. I’d vote for him which is an excellent reason why the Tory Party won’t

5.) Liz- Just dire. I genuinely feared for her health at times.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623

Tonight we asked over 1000 normal voters to watch the debate and we have just asked them who they thought performed best.

Results:
    Tugendhat 36%
    Sunak 25%
    Mordaunt 12%
    Badenoch 12%
    Truss 6%

Entirely helpful that he will be the next one out then, isn't it.
  • Options
    RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Posts: 1,166
    MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

Instead of flouncing George Osborne should have played the long game, he'd be running rings around all of them and he'd probably give Kemi No. 11, he shouldn't have taken being sacked by May so personally.

Osborne would probably have failed to beat Corbyn and a resurgent Farage
    No, I mean he should have stuck around and waited out Theresa May, then made a play for a big role under Boris then laid in wait for Boris to implode. He'd be far and away the favourite today.
    Nah, he's part of the Ancien Regime. He'd have no place in today's Conservative Party.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,534
    IshmaelZ said:

Scott_xP said:

Results:
    Tugendhat 36%
    Sunak 25%
    Mordaunt 12%
    Badenoch 12%

Yay for Tom Major!
    Hawes and Curtis.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

*help*

*yay*

No he’s not, he’s lower middle class.
    Same as Mordaunt.

• Options
    Conservative voters

Tugendhat 29%
    Sunak 28%
    Mordaunt 15%
    Badenoch 12%
    Truss 10%

Mordaunt is out
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,204
    It says it all about the current Tory party that much the best performer on the night is the runner who stands no chance at all.

Truss was hilariously bad, sadly, because I was desperate for her to win for the lolz.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

*help*

*yay*

Same as Mordaunt.

No, he is the definition of working class.
  • Options
    Poshness rating.

1, Tugendhat
    2, Sunak
    3, Truss
    4, Badenoch
    5, Mordaunt

But none are working class.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

*help*

*yay*

I do try to be nice to you, but please stop putting words in my mouth. At no point did I deny that Starmer is Working Class (tho actually I would say he is lower middle class: like Mordaunt - I was using shorthand)

Angela Rayner is authentic working class
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,992
    edited July 2022
    Leon said:

Leon said:

*help*

*yay*

Mordaunt isn't working class.
    We've been over this.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,848

GIN1138 said:

My scores on the doors

Rishi - 4 (The do nothing, tax dodging Prime Minister with millions in the bank)

Sunak, an 8. The remaining order is as you say, but I am deducting a point from each of them.
    Rishi Rich would have been great... in 1997... 2001, 2005, 2010, 2015 and maybe even 2017... but the world has moved on from tired Tony Blair tribute acts.

And I personally find if offensive that this multi-millionaire tax dodger had absolutely nothing to offer to anyone in these times of hardship. He even seemed to be opposing the very modest reduction on fuel that the other candidates were proposing.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,235
    Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

What?

She's quite right. When did you last see a Watt governor on an NHS ward?
    OTOH the underlying principle of cybernetic feedback is absolutely fundamental to many a bit of NHS kit. As are, for instance, the basic principles of electromagnetism, the atomic theory of chenistry, and the concept of the genetic message encapsulated in the DNA sequence. Not to mention the notion of the wotsit electronic thingy spread over the C6H5- hexagon, the germ theorh of disease, the development of modern ventilation and sanitation, and so on and so forth.

Is there a link to this 180 innovations shit? Would love to read down it and call bullshit...
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

*help*

*yay*

Same as Mordaunt.

No, he is the definition of working class.
    Er, ok.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

*help*

*yay*

I've been on for Team Mordaunt all week, and she will likely as not still win.

You may still feel some stirring in the trouser region for her, but most of the rest of us feel she would be found out against Starmer, who I agree is not a great performer.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

*help*

*yay*

I do try to be nice to you, but please stop putting words in my mouth. At no point did I deny that Starmer is Working Class (tho actually I would say he is lower middle class: like Mordaunt - I was using shorthand)

I misread your post, I will apologise.

But Starmer is working class, he fits the definition based on upbringing.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,791

Conservative voters

Tugendhat 29%
    Sunak 28%
    Mordaunt 15%
    Badenoch 12%
    Truss 10%

Mordaunt is out

Disappointed that Badenoch didn't do better with these voters.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,796
    OllyT said:

I think Mordaunt's problem is that she isn't political enough. She's treating it like a job interview and making herself completely bland.

I think she would be horribly found out if she ends up running the country in the current dire circumstances.
    As PM you can choose how much you actually do. The main point of the role is delegation. I think she'd want and need to delegate more than has been the custom recently. However if she chooses her ministers wisely then that could be a goiod thing.

Incidentally I think any future PM would be wise to delegate more.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

What?

She's quite right. When did you last see a Watt governor on an NHS ward?
    OTOH the underlying principle of cybernetic feedback is absolutely fundamental to many a bit of NHS kit. As are, for instance, the basic principles of electromagnetism, the atomic theory of chenistry, and the concept of the genetic message encapsulated in the DNA sequence. Not to mention the notion of the wotsit electronic thingy spread over the C6H5- hexagon, the germ theorh of disease, the development of modern ventilation and sanitation, and so on and so forth.

Is there a link to this 180 innovations shit? Would love to read down it and call bullshit...
    Me too. I;ve seen more convincingly literate turds in the monkey house at Edinburgh Zoo.
  • Options

Leon said:

I think we can all agree that Penny is no longer the candidate "Labour fears the most"

I am trying to be neutral - honestly - and I am not so sure. Mordaunt gained over the hour. She is new to this. Sunak was predictably smooth but no more, he has been COTE and he's Winchester/Oxford, he has the confidence and glisten, but that's it. Any ideas? Nope

Badenoch faded after a great start. She needs a lot of time to mature - she needs a big job in Cabinet. She's got a lot of potential. Truss was a calamity and Tugendhat was an irrelevant soldier talking about Tobruk, or whatever it was

I would still be wary of Mordaunt, if I were Labour. She's the one who could maintain much of the Red Wall and hold the Blue Wall. She is learning on the game. Also, she is withstanding intense nasty pressure from her opponents, but she still looks dignified

Tldr; they are all shit.
    Including Starmer? Yes
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,622
    ydoethur said:

Leon said:

People writing off Penny too quickly

There are three of these debates. This is merely the first

Truss is toast but beyond that.... who knows. Rishi's polish shows here, he is is Winchester and Megabank and ex-COTE

But.... Which one will beat Starmer?

It is Mordaunt v Sunak, I reckon, and the Tory members will decide, not us

The Penny problem is that rather uniquely she has been called out on the stand for lying. And its on the dog whistle non-issue of chicks with dicks. She can try and talk around it, but they will keep coming back for it.
    Is it unique? Leon has just said Kemi's tooth story is "a clear lie".
    We've called Badenoch out on this board.

Badenoch accused Mordaunt of lying *in the debate*
    Yes, but Leon's point is likely to be picked up upon by others, esp. media AND other campaigns.
  • Options

Conservative voters

Tugendhat 29%
    Sunak 28%
    Mordaunt 15%
    Badenoch 12%
    Truss 10%

Mordaunt is out

Tory party increasingly divorced from own voter base shocker.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,097
    edited July 2022

Poshness rating.

1, Tugendhat
    2, Sunak
    3, Truss
    4, Badenoch
    5, Mordaunt

Tugendhat went to Bristol for undergrad though not Oxbridge albeit St Paul's before that and he did a postgraduate degree at Cambridge
  • Options
    So despite all that polling, Mordaunt underperformed with the voters she needs to win.
  • Options

It says it all about the current Tory party that much the best performer on the night is the runner who stands no chance at all.

Truss was hilariously bad, sadly, because I was desperate for her to win for the lolz.

I'm not sure if it was my imagination but Truss appeared to be doing some sort of impression of a Thunderbirds puppet.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Scott_xP said:

Results:
    Tugendhat 36%
    Sunak 25%
    Mordaunt 12%
    Badenoch 12%

Yay for Tom Major!
    Hawes and Curtis.
    Ede and Ravenscroft boi, me, but it was a David Jones gag.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,904
    I should have liked TT but following on from LPs post he was talking in a weird manner . I also found him just too cringy.

Penny looks the part although i thought she was underwhelming in tonight’s debate , I love her styling and hair which is fab and makes me think of Bond , Money Penny and she does seem calm . I think she could grow on people .

Kemi was good and I like her talking about trade offs.

Sunak looks like a safe pair of hands and won’t spend his time trying to add to the divisions in the country .

Truss is terrible in this format , very wooden and has zero charisma .
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,654
    Carnyx said:

MaxPB said:

OnboardG1 said:

MaxPB said:

What?

That's a completely idiotic soundbite. One of the innovations is X-ray Tomography which is the basis of CT scanning. It's demonstrably false.
    Nuclear Magnetic Resonance, Coherent Light Emission, transistors...
    NMR is at least an American innovation, so not in that list of 180. Though as CHB points out, the NHS uses the web and it's absolutely number one on the list.
    Eh?? Georg Radda waves a very firm hand.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Radda
    Presumably MRI Scanning was on that list?

Sir Peter Mansfield shared a Nobel Prize for that. Based at University of Nottingham. Used in the NHS.

Even if we are just talking COVID, and ignoring the most AZ vaccine, there is the innovative use of mass data from the NHS for a number of innovations, that use of mass data itself, the viral sequencing programme, the ability to do more rapid research than almost anywhere, the discovery of dexamethasone as a treatment to ease the symptoms for people on ventilators, and plenty more.

Has PM taken an innovative hallucinogen?
  • Options
    That's Truss - the continuity Johnson candidate - in last place among people who after partygate and everything else still identify as Conservatives. Not a good result
    https://twitter.com/hzeffman/status/1548040462526607363
  • Options
    Based on what you have seen tonight, do you think each of the following would be a good / bad PM?

Tugendhat 61/31
    Sunak 51/45
    Mordaunt 44/49
    Badenoch 41/49
    Truss 29/65
  • Options

I'm not sure if it was my imagination but Truss appeared to be doing some sort of impression of a Thunderbirds puppet.
    FAB Jeff.
  • Options
    Based on what you have seen tonight, do you think each of the following would be a good / bad PM?

Tugendhat 61/31
    Sunak 51/45
    Mordaunt 44/49
    Badenoch 41/49
    Truss 29/65

https://twitter.com/OpiniumResearch/status/1548040513315475456/photo/1
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,290
    edited July 2022

Conservative voters

Tugendhat 29%
    Sunak 28%
    Mordaunt 15%
    Badenoch 12%
    Truss 10%

Mordaunt is out

But how about asking who was worst?

Penny didn't stand out so I wouldn't expect many to say she was best. But she didn't do anything to lose support.

In contrast, everyone now knows Truss is not a credible PM.
  • Options
    This Opinium poll is not of1000 ordinary voters.
    It's of 1000 people who spend 2 hours of a Friday evening watching a political debate and then filling in an Online survey.
    They may be many things, but ordinary isn't one of them.
  • Options
    edited July 2022

So despite all that polling, Mordaunt underperformed with the voters she needs to win.

It was polling of all voters who watched the debate, it is Tory members she needs to win
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

*help*

*yay*

LOL. Grammar school poshboi.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Carnyx said:

MaxPB said:

OnboardG1 said:

MaxPB said:

What?

That's a completely idiotic soundbite. One of the innovations is X-ray Tomography which is the basis of CT scanning. It's demonstrably false.
    NMR is at least an American innovation, so not in that list of 180. Though as CHB points out, the NHS uses the web and it's absolutely number one on the list.

Sir Peter Mansfield shared a Nobel Prize for that. Based at University of Nottingham. Used in the NHS.

Even if we are just talking COVID, and ignoring the most AZ vaccine, there is the innovative use of mass data from the NHS for a number of innovations, that use of mass data itself, the viral sequencing programme, the ability to do more rapid research than almost anywhere, the discovery of dexamethasone as a treatment to ease the symptoms for people on ventilators, and plenty more.

Quite so. I'm baffled.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

My scores on the doors

Rishi Rich would have been great... in 1997... 2001, 2005, 2010, 2015 and maybe even 2017... but the world has moved on from tired Tony Blair tribute acts.

And I personally find if offensive that this multi-millionaire tax dodger had absolutely nothing to offer to anyone in these times of hardship. He even seemed to be opposing the very modest reduction on fuel that the other candidates were proposing.
    I can't disagree with the Sunak backstory you have explained to us, and that he is a dreadful little weasel, but on tonight's performance he was awesome compared to the company he kept.
  • Options
    I still maintain that if Truss wins, she will be ejected by MPs before she gets to a GE.
  • Options
    From the beeb live blog: "Mordaunt - I hope you like one of us".

Well Penny...
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883
    HYUFD said:

It was polling of all voters, it is Tory members she needs to win
    She did poorly with those too. Not as bad as Truss 10% with Tory 2019 voters
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,780
    One positive from tonight.

If, as seems likely, the final two are Penny and Rishi, then the ERG/right/Nad/Mogg/JRM/Baker/IDS/Brexiteers might all finally be wrested from their positions of power and washed down the plug hole.

The multitudinous seas incarnadine will reoxygenate and become green again. Rejoice at that news!
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

My scores on the doors

I can't disagree with the Sunak backstory you have explained to us, and that he is a dreadful little weasel, but on tonight's performance he was awesome compared to the company he kept.
    One doesn't need to outrun the tiger, only one's running companion.
  • Options
    edited July 2022

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

*help*

*yay*

Apology accepted

Thankyou

For what is is worth, I agree with the consensus on here, both are lower middle class, borderline working class

It is sad that Britain is still saddled with these near-Indian type caste definitions, but we are, for now

And if it comes to a revolution, right now I am on the side of the communards. Enough of the fucking posh boys. Enough Camerons, Johnsons and Sunaks. I want someone from the barrios in Number 10. We've had enough Etonians for a generation
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Poshness rating.

1, Tugendhat
    2, Sunak
    3, Truss
    4, Badenoch
    5, Mordaunt

Tugendhat went to Bristol for undergrad though not Oxbridge albeit St Paul's before that and he did a postgraduate degree at Cambridge
    Behave!
  • Options
    MattW said:

Carnyx said:

MaxPB said:

OnboardG1 said:

MaxPB said:

What?

Also, consider the Cochrane Collaboration for instance, for meta-analysis of clinical trials. That was germinated within the NHS.
  • Options
    OnboardG1 said:

From the beeb live blog: "Mordaunt - I hope you like one of us".

Well Penny...

"He said he didn't like it...but he'd have to go along with it"
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,848
    edited July 2022
    Nadine should have been the continuity Boris candidate. As least she's a laugh. Liz is just scary... She'd actually make babies cry on the campaign trail.

She's like an extra from Night Of The Living Dead....
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

It was polling of all voters who watched the debate, it is Tory members she needs to win
    We know 0.1% of them was a Tory member.
  • Options
    stjohn said:

One positive from tonight.

If, as seems likely, the final two are Penny and Rishi, then the ERG/right/Nad/Mogg/JRM/Baker/IDS/Brexiteers might all finally be wrested from their positions of power and washed down the plug hole.

The multitudinous seas incarnadine will reoxygenate and become green again. Rejoice at that news!

I, for one, look forward to six months of the ERG ensuring the business of government can't be maintained.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,713
    FF43 said:

Leon said:

EXCELLENT final statement from Penny. She's still in the game

She should really go on her ordinariness in the next debate:

"I am not public school. I am not Oxford or Cambridge. I am not an ex banker. I am like YOU" - go for it, Penny

I thought all the final statements dire, but Sunak wins the debate because he was the only one to give a serious answer to the question about fuel bills, which is what people reasonably expect their government to have an answer to.

And I say that knowing Sunak completely screwed up the Budget earlier this year.
    I’m not a natural Conservative voter. I don’t expect to vote Tory at the next GE. So, in terms of actual policies, unsurprisingly none of them were that appealing. I thought Mordaunt made a few good points, followed by Sunak, then Truss (strongly anti-Putin).

But I suspect winning elections and winning leadership campaigns is only a bit about policy and more about how people come across. If I ignore actual policies, and my distrust of this Conservative regime and indeed of these specific candidates’ past positions, then my emotional response was for Sunak. Badenoch had some strong moments, but seemed green round the ears: someone to watch for the future, not someone to take over now. Third, I’d put Mordaunt, OK in places. Then Tug, then Truss.

Things that surprised me… OK, I get what some see in Kemi. I was surprised how little Tugendhat worked for me. He began well with his strong anti-Boris message, but nothing else impressed.

I presume Tug goes out next round. This will benefit Mordaunt and Sunak. But I think there are enough votes on the right ultimately to get someone they want to the final two, Truss or Badenoch, and I don’t think Kemi has done enough, so I wonder whether the final 2 is Sunak against a wounded Truss, and Sunak wins?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

This Opinium poll is not of1000 ordinary voters.
    It's of 1000 people who spend 2 hours of a Friday evening watching a political debate and then filling in an Online survey.
    They may be many things, but ordinary isn't one of them.

It's amazing they could even find a thousand of them.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Nadine should have been the continuity Boris candidate. As least she's a laugh. Liz is just scary... She'd actually make babies cry on the campaign trail.

She like an extra from Night Of The Living Dead....

Without the Living bit
  • Options
    My brother, who doesn’t live in the UK, is not a Tory voter, who does not frequent PB, and doesn’t have many priors, offers:

“Mordaunt is vapid”
    “Sunak is too slick. He’s hold-your-nose fishy”
    “Truss is the worst communicator ever”

I will ask him about Kemi and the Tug.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Tugendhat 61/31
    Sunak 51/45
    Mordaunt 44/49
    Badenoch 41/49
    Truss 29/65

https://twitter.com/OpiniumResearch/status/1548040513315475456/photo/1

These numbers confirm Penny did not do herself much damage tonight.
  • Options

Conservative voters

Tugendhat 29%
    Sunak 28%
    Mordaunt 15%
    Badenoch 12%
    Truss 10%

Mordaunt is out

Interesting that Tory voters and the general public both give the top rating to the one remaining candidate that the Tory membership won't touch with a barge poll because he was not of the one true faith.
  • Options
    OnboardG1 said:

FAB Jeff.
    Bit of a car crash tonight?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSDyz2V2QxM

• Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,135
    IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

*help*

*yay*

LOL. Grammar school poshboi.
    LOL. Someone pontificating on a political betting site who's never heard the narrative about "grammar schools are good because they benefit bright working-class kids".
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited July 2022
    Hello again to all, after a long time away. Truss I'm sure won't have been helped by tonight's performance.

Badenoch and Tugendhat look to me to have solid potential for the future, and Sunak and Mordaunt to me still to be the frontrunners. Sunak has his senior governmental experience and charm to fall back on, and Mordaunt a conversational and more empathic style which will be able to come out, and to the fore again, in a longer-form interview or debate, in the following round.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,898

Conservative voters

Tugendhat 29%
    Sunak 28%
    Mordaunt 15%
    Badenoch 12%
    Truss 10%

Mordaunt is out

She has several more debates to rebound

And since Tugendhat goes out next (no way so many MPs switch to change that), coming above Truss and Badenoch may be sufficient - not liking the performance in the debate doesn't necessarily mean they would vote Sunak over her.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

She's like an extra from Night Of The Living Dead....

It's the way you tell 'em!
  • Options
    OllyT said:

Conservative voters

Tugendhat 29%
    Sunak 28%
    Mordaunt 15%
    Badenoch 12%
    Truss 10%

Mordaunt is out

Interesting that Tory voters and the general public both give the top rating to the one remaining candidate that the Tory membership won't touch with a barge poll because he was not of the one true faith.
    It’s another omen of Brexit decay.
    One of those “morbid symptoms” Gramsci wrote about.

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,791
    Love this. What's the priority in a dangerous heatwave? Buying rosé wine.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/jul/15/heatwave-britons-red-alert-fans-rose-wine-ice-cream-sales

"Heatwave-hit Britons rush to buy rosé wine, fans and ice-cream
    Majestic Wine says sales of the pink wine are up 49%, as government issues red alert on heat"
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,713
    edited July 2022
    Carnyx said:

MattW said:

Carnyx said:

MaxPB said:

OnboardG1 said:

MaxPB said:

What?

Also, consider the Cochrane Collaboration for instance, for meta-analysis of clinical trials. That was germinated within the NHS.
    I presumed she meant recent, probably mainly digital, innovations, and she meant specific products rather than broader technologies or even ideas. I could well believe that if you had a list of 180 of those that none would be in use in the NHS.

But if you’re going to run with a message, you shouldn’t leave your audience having to work out what you meant!

• Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,380
    Stereodog said:

1.) Rishi- He had grown up answers and the audience liked a lot of them. Did enough to keep the mainstream MPs onside

I found it was interesting that he had the audience onside when he was criticising Truss for her mad borrowing plan. The voters that Osborne appealed to during the austerity years are still out there, and they still don't like the idea of endless borrowing.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,106
    For all his flaws, Johnson is a top tier politician in a way that none of the people on the stage today are. The Tories may regret turfing him out.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

*help*

*yay*

Apology accepted

Thankyou

For what is is worth, I agree with the consensus on here, both are lower middle class, borderline working class

It is sad that Britain is still saddled with these near-Indian type caste definitions, but we are, for now

And if it comes to a revolution, right now I am on the side of the communards. Enough of the fucking posh boys. Enough Camerons, Johnsons and Sunaks. I want someone from the barrios in Number 10. We've had enough Etonians for a generation
    If Sunak wins we won't have an Old Etonian as PM, we will have a Wykehamist instead
  • Options
    StereodogStereodog Posts: 400
    OllyT said:

Conservative voters

Tugendhat 29%
    Sunak 28%
    Mordaunt 15%
    Badenoch 12%
    Truss 10%

Mordaunt is out

The poll asked who they thought performed best. I think Boris is a better public speaker than Ed Davey but I wouldn’t vote for him in a million years.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,194
    Just finished the debate. It has to be Sunak for me. I like Kemi, but I don’t think she’s ready.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

OnboardG1 said:

FAB Jeff.

I got a guilty laugh out of that. The stereotypes are cringe but the setup is pretty funny.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

*help*

*yay*

Apology accepted

Thankyou

If Sunak wins we won't have an Old Etonian as PM, we will have a Wykehamist instead
    How TOO TOO TERRIBLE FOR YOU.
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,780

Penny was a bit too discursive and often avoided the actual question. She might do better in a long interview. Do we know what formats will be used for the next debates?
    Or is she an empty vessel?
  • Options

For all his flaws, Johnson is a top tier politician in a way that none of the people on the stage today are. The Tories may regret turfing him out.

But politicians grow into a role quickly. I can see Mordaunt doing that

FFS even TMay has gained a kind of gravitas despite being the worst PM ever. Likewise Major
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

OnboardG1 said:

FAB Jeff.

It was much, much worse.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

*help*

*yay*

Apology accepted

Thankyou

Doesn't JRM think that's the dirtiest insult on the planet?
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Like PM I'm the child of two teachers. Like her my Dad had a working class job for years before he re-trained.
    There is no way on God's Earth I am borderline working class.
    And I didn't go on to work on two Presidential campaigns, jobs in PR then an MP, either.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    New thread
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,457
    Stereodog said:

2.) Penny- I didn’t think she was brilliant but I don’t think she’ll have frightened anyone from the other candidate’s camps into not backing her.

3.) Kemi- She came across really well but I don’t think she will have answered the all important question of experience. You can’t keep calling things out in the name of honesty if you don’t actually have any answers.

4.) Tom- Seemed to be running for leader of the Lib Dems by doing a Nick Clegg impression. I’d vote for him which is an excellent reason why the Tory Party won’t

5.) Liz- Just dire. I genuinely feared for her health at times.

Fair summary.
  • Options

I hate this kind of reasoning. Yes, he was top tier in some ways, but he also had massive flaws which were overwhelming everything else. It was not going to end well - the very fact he got turfed out by MPs after winning so big 3 years ago demonstrates he is not as top tier as people think, either - he should never have been so vulnerable.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

*help*

*yay*

Apology accepted

Thankyou

The thing is the English class system is infinitely graduated, and everybody - EVERYBODY - bar HMQ, is acutely aware of their position in it. No exceptions. HMQs kids are desperate social climbers: Chas wants to be king, the rapist wants his HRH back, Etonians who weren'y in Pop want to be in pop, St Paulians want to be Etonians, and so on till it inverts and lower middle class poshbois like SKS want to be working class.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited July 2022
    stjohn said:

Penny was a bit too discursive and often avoided the actual question. She might do better in a long interview. Do we know what formats will be used for the next debates?
    Or is she an empty vessel?
    I don't think so. I think she's as much of an emotional and empathic communicator as anything else ; as Leon says, this is why her closing personal statement was notably the best, and probably why her solo press conferences have been the most successful with the press and tory electorate, too.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,134
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Tldr; they are all shit.
    Including Starmer? Yes
    No, Starmer is just crap. This lot are shit.
  • Options
    Stereodog said:

OllyT said:

Conservative voters

Tugendhat 29%
    Sunak 28%
    Mordaunt 15%
    Badenoch 12%
    Truss 10%

Mordaunt is out

The poll asked who they thought performed best. I think Boris is a better public speaker than Ed Davey but I wouldn’t vote for him in a million years.
    Usually there is still plenty of voting for the preferred candidate, some will always say their choice performed better out of loyalty.

With a contest which is all Tories, and where people may be less attached personally to the options, it may be closer to honest.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

MattW said:

Carnyx said:

MaxPB said:

OnboardG1 said:

MaxPB said:

What?

I presumed she meant recent, probably mainly digital, innovations, and she meant specific products rather than broader technologies or even ideas. I could well believe that if you had a list of 180 of those that none would be in use in the NHS.

But if you’re going to run with a message, you shouldn’t leave your audience having to work out what you meant!

Can't understand why that is off topic ... wasn't me, anyway, even with fat fingers.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,560
    My summary:

Penny - unconvincing, vacuous
    Kemi - more convincing, but still vacuous and no substance
    Rishi - fluent and won, but creepy and untrustworthy
    Liz - bad, mad, and sad
    Tom - hello, centrist dad.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,762

FF43 said:

Leon said:

EXCELLENT final statement from Penny. She's still in the game

She should really go on her ordinariness in the next debate:

"I am not public school. I am not Oxford or Cambridge. I am not an ex banker. I am like YOU" - go for it, Penny

I thought all the final statements dire, but Sunak wins the debate because he was the only one to give a serious answer to the question about fuel bills, which is what people reasonably expect their government to have an answer to.

And I say that knowing Sunak completely screwed up the Budget earlier this year.
    I’m not a natural Conservative voter. I don’t expect to vote Tory at the next GE. So, in terms of actual policies, unsurprisingly none of them were that appealing. I thought Mordaunt made a few good points, followed by Sunak, then Truss (strongly anti-Putin).

But I suspect winning elections and winning leadership campaigns is only a bit about policy and more about how people come across. If I ignore actual policies, and my distrust of this Conservative regime and indeed of these specific candidates’ past positions, then my emotional response was for Sunak. Badenoch had some strong moments, but seemed green round the ears: someone to watch for the future, not someone to take over now. Third, I’d put Mordaunt, OK in places. Then Tug, then Truss.

Things that surprised me… OK, I get what some see in Kemi. I was surprised how little Tugendhat worked for me. He began well with his strong anti-Boris message, but nothing else impressed.

I presume Tug goes out next round. This will benefit Mordaunt and Sunak. But I think there are enough votes on the right ultimately to get someone they want to the final two, Truss or Badenoch, and I don’t think Kemi has done enough, so I wonder whether the final 2 is Sunak against a wounded Truss, and Sunak wins?
    Funnily enough I think Truss would make an OKish PM, if she could escape the clutches of the ERG and focused on her day job rather than trying to create a non-existent personality cult. She has a basic level of competence that is lacking in the other candidates.

Tugendhat didn't impress me, but I suppose people liked that he was the only one to make it clear he didn't believe Johnson one bit.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,493
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

*help*

*yay*

Apology accepted

Thankyou

Starmer is a lawyer. Middle Class.
    But I accept that Horse was talking about his upbringing.
    But my understanding was that Starmer's father owned a small toolmaking firm. That strikes me as a middle class ba0
This discussion has been closed.