Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Could it be that the next PM is NOT an Oxford Grad? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,934

Curaçao i think is the closest (but incorrect) guess so far.

Leon said:

Here’s a pic that can definitely be guessed, if you have the right zoological knowledge and you check the species and the terrain. Taken in 2013 or so, hence the poor quality (apols)

Thats Bognor Regis. Definitely. They are Bognor seals.
    If it isnt then is it Ipswich?
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Pm Truss
    FO Wallace
    CoE Redwood
    HSec Mourdant
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,146
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Here’s a pic that can definitely be guessed, if you have the right zoological knowledge and you check the species and the terrain. Taken in 2013 or so, hence the poor quality (apols)

Are those blue footed Booby's, hence the Galapagos?
    You’re all wrong, but quite close….
    Easter Island?
    No, too far out

2 seconds Googling will get it, but resist!
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981

Leon said:

My family WhatsApp, which is quite rightwing (but with greens and lefties too) has gone from accepting the departure of Boris to OMFG look at these idiots (the potential replacements) and Can we have Boris back

What astounds me is the appalling "quality" of the candidates. I know that Boris is accused of surrounding himself with low quality wannabes and has-beens but is this lot really all that is available?

There is no way that any of this shower will lead the Tories to victory at the next election.
    You may be surprised
    I mean when weve bern treated to Labour leaderships featuring magic grandpa versus Owen Smith, that time they put Diane Abbott up, the Miliband family comedy troup and not forgetting Rebecca Long Bailey they cant be 'too' bad
    Labour's candidates were appalling too and for much the same reason. Corbyn surrounded himself with those who were no danger to him, just like Johnson. Anyone with talent was purged if they threatened The Leader.

Corbyn and Johnson were opposite cheeks of the same ar*e and the pair of them have polluted the politics of this country.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,991
    Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Guido exclusive tonight, Sunak had his campaign website registered as early as last December
    https://twitter.com/GuidoFawkes/status/1545453882930827264?s=20&t=1ak5T3Au964YuhJtLLhT1w

Excellent forward planning - exactly what we want - not someone winging it
    If you elect Sunak it will seriously divide the Tory party. Boris’ gang will bring him down. They have form.
    Wishful thinking I am afraid

They are over

And for clarification I am not opposed to Wallace but I am not convinced he is going to stand
    Things are moving very quickly - I don't think anyone can really afford to wait any longer before making their position known. Maybe over the weekend can be managed, the formal rules will be announced then, but MPs want to get to the final two quick, and need to know who is serious.

And who do they even sound out when half the people you sound out are sounding you out about their own run?
    And quite a few MPs seem to have been sounding out Wallace to see if he’ll run. It’s now (certainly this weekend) or never.
    The 1922 campaign don't announce the timetable until next week. The middle of next week is fine.

If he was ruling himself out he would likely have done so already. Wallace will spend the weekend creating his campaign team and announce by the middle of next week
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,774

Leon said:

What’s that weird red thing at the bottom right off the @FrancisUrquhart photo? A downed aircraft? A grounded boat?

Airport terminal building.

I think a lot of you will have all seen this place on your tv.
    Death in Paradise? Deshaies On Guadeloupe?
  • Options

The Colombian coast? So we would have seen it in Narcos etc?

This is a hard one
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,216
    edited July 2022
    And the ban hammer is wielded...

They never learn, do they?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725
    CatMan said:

kle4 said:

KevinB said:

Of course, KevinB has rather missed an enormous logic hole in his fantasy.

He's been assuring us that the oldest voters are sufficiently against gay marriage to be supportive of overturning it. And whilst over-65s are the still net in favour, they are the least accepting age group.

However, there's an issue with relying on the over-65s group providing your core support 30+ years from now. I wonder if he can spot it.

(And the possible loophole that maybe people become more anti-gay-marriage as they age has not been seen at all; if anything, they've been going the other way. And each echelon has been retaining their pro-gay-marriage bias as they age into the next age group. Understandable, really, the adage that people become more conservative as they age tends to be by viewing whatever was the default when they were younger as being how things should be in future - and thirty years from now, most people will have had gay marriage as being normal for a long long time)

I think it's far more simple than that: it's social proof and convention.

It was working against gay people and now it works for them.

That can change, and change quickly, as the Supreme Court decision has started to roll things back and reopen debate in the USA and here.
    I see what you mean, but I think that's a poor framing. Social conventions were working against gays, but it is not working 'for' them now. What has happened is that many, if not most, people simply do not care. The conventions are not working 'for' them; the conventions just don't care.

That's great IMO, as it is equality.

But you are correct that that could change, and perhaps rapidly.
    One key issue about changing it: to roll back gay marriage, you have to annul and undo hundreds of thousands of marriages. Including reversing the legal ramifications such as next of kin aspects and inheritances, including inheritances that have already happened.

Massive issue.
    I haven't been invited to a gay wedding, but loads of people must have gone to one, and it's hard to see how my heterosexual marriage has been damaged by them. I can understand why a large minority were uncomfortable about the change, but it must only be a very small minority that would support reversing it now.
    We have and it was a lovely occasion
    dunno i often spot in gay marriage photos the grooms parents with forced smiles looking distinctly uncomfortable...as in social pressure tells us we should be happy but is this what we really want for our son....check gay wedding photos you will see what i mean
    Congratulations on your psychic abilities to tell what people are thinking.

Besides, some people have awkward looking smiles anyway

The guy in that looks like Richard Tyndall...
    It's not far off it seems.

Scott Meyer - I highly recommend his web series basic instructions, which he has recently started up again, very funny.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Galapagos! Which one, I cannot guess...
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,417
    Jonathan said:

Pm Truss
    FO Wallace
    CoE Redwood
    HSec Mourdant

Poor John. Very sad that he hasn't even been drafted in as supply in Bojo's caretaker cabinet.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,605
    Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

To succeed a new leader has to gain control of an angry party. That means they either have to be supported by or dominate the right wing. Ideally both. That is the price of entry.

Sunak has a target on his back. Can he dominate the right? I doubt it.

He also needs a party desperate to move to the centre after years in opposition to win a general election again, which Blair and Cameron and arguably now Starmer benefit from and he wouldn't
    My outsiders nose senses a Tory party that fancies a bit of dry, simple Thatcherite economics.
    They want tax cuts and higher interest rates.

Thatcherism though won't do anything for the levelling up agenda.

• Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    Well, I predicted Sunday 7pm. I was way off.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Pm Truss
    FO Wallace
    CoE Redwood
    HSec Mourdant

Y Doethur - Ireland...
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Pm Truss
    FO Wallace
    CoE Redwood
    HSec Mourdant

kill me
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited July 2022
    Leon said:

This is a hard one
    Getting closer.....but still wrong... funnily enough there used to be a luxury hotel (which i stayed at) there which is rumoured to have been owned by a columbian cartel as a washing machine.
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,442

Leon said:

My family WhatsApp, which is quite rightwing (but with greens and lefties too) has gone from accepting the departure of Boris to OMFG look at these idiots (the potential replacements) and Can we have Boris back

What astounds me is the appalling "quality" of the candidates. I know that Boris is accused of surrounding himself with low quality wannabes and has-beens but is this lot really all that is available?

There is no way that any of this shower will lead the Tories to victory at the next election.
    You may be surprised
    I mean when weve bern treated to Labour leaderships featuring magic grandpa versus Owen Smith, that time they put Diane Abbott up, the Miliband family comedy troup and not forgetting Rebecca Long Bailey they cant be 'too' bad
    Labour's candidates were appalling too and for much the same reason. Corbyn surrounded himself with those who were no danger to him, just like Johnson. Anyone with talent was purged if they threatened The Leader.

Corbyn and Johnson were opposite cheeks of the same ar*e and the pair of them have polluted the politics of this country.
    You're wrong about Corbyn's 'purges'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_Cabinet_of_Jeremy_Corbyn
  • Options

Leon said:

Again: close, but no cigar
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,706
    Leon said:

Leon said:

I can only guess it's one of the Chilean guano islands, but am stuck.
  • Options

Leon said:

This is a hard one
    Getting closer.....but still wrong... funnily enough there used to be a luxury hotel (which i stayed at) there which is rumoured to have been owned by a columbian cartel as a washing machine.
    Panama!
  • Options

Leon said:

What’s that weird red thing at the bottom right off the @FrancisUrquhart photo? A downed aircraft? A grounded boat?

Airport terminal building.

I think a lot of you will have all seen this place on your tv.
    Baillif airstrip, Gaudaloupe?
  • Options
    Somebody declare for Jake Berry already - there are people who have not even annouced yet with more backers than his 0.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited July 2022
    Heathener said:

Roger said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

And this one to see if it can handle a higher res.

I guarantee no one on here will ever have been to this place and I'd be incredibly surprised if anyone can guess where it is.
    Looks rather like volcano route, La Palma.
    I'm gobsmacked. Wow.

You are absolutely right. It is indeed La Ruta de los Volcanos on La Palma.

I was the only person walking it that glorious day (or rather, that I saw). Pretty remote at times and with smouldering volcanoes, which as we now know are not dormant.
    I had my worst professional experience there.
    Gosh. Able to elaborate?

@Leon is right about my pic. If you looked closely, especially to the right, you could see the volcanic terrain. Also being above the cloud line is a classic Canary thing - hence the observatories on Tenerife and, most famously, La Palma itself.
    I was doing a Renault launch for Spain and we were shooting for four days. At exactly 5 o'clock each evening we went up there to try to get the pack shot and everyday at 5 o'clock a thick mist came down.

On the final day we went up and again the mist came down again. The crew were saying they had planes to catch and hotels to pack up and at about 7 I called it off and we packed up and went down the mountain and as we got to the bottom the mist cleared and it was an amazing sunset. But it was too late to set up again

It was a great object lesson. Their travel arrangements aren't my concern. My job was to get the shot. You have to be selfish and it took me a long time to get over it.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,964
    boulay said:

I don’t understand why anyone is bothering arguing with KevinB/MickTrain.

It’s the whole MO - try and cause dissent over things that we disagree with but not to the level that is something that’s such an issue in Russia.

He can poke about sexual freedoms, gay marriage, general politics and then eventually some news agency in Russia is reporting that a “major” (yes I know) political discussion forum in the UK where politicians are known to post is full of people who reject the western liberal view.

Give Kevin/Gary/Mick a few posts to embarrass themselves then shut them down as it’s not being done for no reason.

And Kevin is seriously in the closet.

And don't call him a homophobe. Because that's woke bigotry

Would it make sense for a Conservative candidate for PM to decide to skip this contest? (Assuming they are young enough.)

I am no seer, but it seems to me that the successful candidate is likely to have a short and miserable couple of years in Number 10, lose a general election, and then be replaced as leader.

But let me know if this strategy is implausible. Or if none of the potential candidates would think like that.

Dunno. The quality of the field is poor.
    And you'll have been PM.
    And summat good may turn up.
    Sitting it out. Well. Summat nasty may turn up.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

I can only guess it's one of the Chilean guano islands, but am stuck.
    Yes, if you haven’t heard of them, it is maybe too hard, I’ll reveal all in a minute
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Leon said:

Leon said:

This is a hard one
    Panama!
    Bingo......to be precise Contadora part of the pearl islands which have been used for some seasons of the uk and us survivor show, bear Grylls programmes and i think most recently a Richard Hammond tv show.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,289
    edited July 2022
    Interesting discussions today but time for me to tuck up 2 of our grandchildren who are on a sleepover and are awake far too late (Mind you what goes on in Grandma's home stays in Grandma's home)

I would just say some of the comments by one poster on here (you know who you are) have been deeply disturbing, prejudiced and downright insulting and hurtful to a couple of our posters

This forum is better than this

Good night folks
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,896
    Sandpit said:

KevinB said:

Nigelb said:

KevinB said:

He's been assuring us that the oldest voters are sufficiently against gay marriage to be supportive of overturning it. And whilst over-65s are the still net in favour, they are the least accepting age group.

However, there's an issue with relying on the over-65s group providing your core support 30+ years from now. I wonder if he can spot it.

(And the possible loophole that maybe people become more anti-gay-marriage as they age has not been seen at all; if anything, they've been going the other way. And each echelon has been retaining their pro-gay-marriage bias as they age into the next age group. Understandable, really, the adage that people become more conservative as they age tends to be by viewing whatever was the default when they were younger as being how things should be in future - and thirty years from now, most people will have had gay marriage as being normal for a long long time)

That can change, and change quickly, as the Supreme Court decision has started to roll things back and reopen debate in the USA and here.
    I see what you mean, but I think that's a poor framing. Social conventions were working against gays, but it is not working 'for' them now. What has happened is that many, if not most, people simply do not care. The conventions are not working 'for' them; the conventions just don't care.

One key issue about changing it: to roll back gay marriage, you have to annul and undo hundreds of thousands of marriages. Including reversing the legal ramifications such as next of kin aspects and inheritances, including inheritances that have already happened.

Massive issue.
    I haven't been invited to a gay wedding, but loads of people must have gone to one, and it's hard to see how my heterosexual marriage has been damaged by them. I can understand why a large minority were uncomfortable about the change, but it must only be a very small minority that would support reversing it now.
    dunno i often spot in gay marriage photos the grooms parents with forced smiles looking distinctly uncomfortable...as in social pressure tells us we should be happy but is this what we really want for our son....check gay wedding photos you will see what i mean
    You’re beginning to sound a tad… obsessive.
    That’s very, very occasionally a sign that someone’s repressing something.
    thats the standard trope used when people have lost the argument re homosexuality
    and actually repression aint a bad thing civilizarion is built on it
    sometimes i feel like killing someone but i wont do it
    maybe i would fancy a gay orgy in my house but i wouldnt....repression you see it can be a good thing
    I try to avoid doing personal on here, but you're provocative, so....

My daughter's gay. She's getting married shortly to a beautiful (in every sense of the word) woman. I, and the rest of the family, are immensely proud of her, and are really excited and looking forward to the wedding. As a parent, I've found it very rewarding to have a daughter with a different sexuality from my own, and have learnt a lot.

By contrast, your homophobia means you're missing out on the rich variety of human life. Though it may be that it's just gay men you've got a thing about?
    We were lucky enough to at PB, to get upgraded to the Level IV Troll - the one that’s clearly actually studied in the UK at some point, has followed politics here for a while, and knows just enough about a few divisive subjects to draw out the sort of personal comments that he thinks can be used to set people against each other. He’s a big upgrade on the Level III Troll we had last month though, he was as useless as a Russian invasion of Kiev.
    Oh well, another one bites the dust. We’ll have to see if we can get a Level V troll now, one that can go to 500 comments before mentioning gay marriage, abortion, or the war in Ukraine.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

This is a hard one
    Panama!
    Bingo......to be precise Contadora part of the pearl islands which have been used for survivor, bear Grylls programms and i think most recently a Richard Hammond tv show.
    Ooh

*hugs himself with pride*

Good one
  • Options
    RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Posts: 1,157

Leon said:

You may be surprised

He had the opportunity to bring former critics back into the Shadow cabinet after the 2017 election.
    He didn't and kept duffers like Burgon in instead.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,006
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Rees Mogg lays into Sunak tonight calling him 'the high tax Chancellor of a low tax party'

https://twitter.com/christopherhope/status/1545495803309035520?s=20&t=Hkrayn5myVcMmAbISYCotw

Who he was happy to support mere days ago. And if he was not, he is claiming Boris was a terrible PM because he would be admitting Boris could not control his own Chancellor.

Which do you think it is - is he lying about thinking Sunak is terrible, or is he admitting Boris was terrible?
    Rees Mogg criticised Sunak before. In some respects Sunak, a slick liberal ex banker, has more in common with Emmanuel Macron than Margaret Thatcher
    Thatcher paid a lot for PR and presentation. Not sure what else "slick" is meant to mean here, but if it's not inherently male-gendered, she'd count.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,150
    Leon said:

Leon said:

This is a hard one
    Panama!
    A man a plan a canal, Panama!

• Options

Leon said:

You may be surprised

Really? He did not surround himself with Corbynites? The bulk of his own party tried to get rid of him. In that, at least, they did better than the "Conservative" Party
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,562
    ydoethur said:

Could see it coming a mile away. Esp. the way Robert was toying with him.

Glad I got my kicks in in timely fashion.
  • Options

I see the influence of gay mafia that control the world extends to PB.

Is that who controls the world when the Jews go on holiday?
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,540
    Now that Kev's Kancelled, back to politics.....

Maybe it's just me, but I think it's a bit poor that quite a lot of Tory MPs have already declared who they're backing.

If I were a Tory MP, I'd be saying nothing until I'd listened to what the candidates' leadership pitch is, what if anything they're planning to change from the current regime, policies for the future and so on.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,419

Is that who controls the world when the Jews go on holiday?
    Yes, it is the Jews, then the gays, then bankers.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Ok the islands in my photo are the Islas Ballestas, actually known as the “mini Galapagos” - just off the south Peruvian coast, and fervent with wildlife

I recommend a visit

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballestas_Islands
  • Options

Maybe it's just me, but I think it's a bit poor that quite a lot of Tory MPs have already declared who they're backing.

If I were a Tory MP, I'd be saying nothing until I'd listened to what the candidates' leadership pitch is, what if anything they're planning to change from the current regime, policies for the future and so on.

TBF, they probably mostly have a reasonable idea on those points. They know these people, which most of us on here don't.

Also, if somebody you wanted to stand was hesitating, it's a way of giving them an incentive to go for it.
  • Options

They seem like they know what they are doing, so I'm happy to leave them to it. Much better than the lizard people or the illuminati.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    deleted, someone else got there before me
  • Options
    edited July 2022

Leon said:

You may be surprised

Really? He did not surround himself with Corbynites? The bulk of his own party tried to get rid of him. In that, at least, they did better than the "Conservative" Party
    He had quislings like Sir Keir Starmer eagerly csmpaigning and serving under him too
  • Options
    Well done to @foxy and @carnyx for identifying birds like the booby in my rubbish photo

PB is replete with expertise
  • Options

Leon said:

You may be surprised

Yes, but in the end. Look at his first shadow cabinet Thornberry, Eagle, Watson, Ashworth, De Piero. He did at least try.
  • Options

That is mostly reasonable, but in fairness to the MPs it may not be entirely necessary, for a couple of reasons.

1) They may already know most of the candidates fairly well, to the extent they can guess or been tipped off as to their policy plans and the like.

2) They might well have been totally happy with the policy direction of the government, but the character of Boris Johnson could no longer be denied or accepted. Accordingly, they don't mind too much about policy - they can constrain a PM with rebellions - and will pick based on which one they think is the most able to get a grip on things and not embarrass them further.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,994
    Leon said:

Well done to @foxy and @carnyx for identifying birds like the booby in my rubbish photo

As long as you don't start asking us which bird this booby belongs to...
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

TBF, they probably mostly have a reasonable idea on those points. They know these people, which most of us on here don't.

Also, if somebody you wanted to stand was hesitating, it's a way of giving them an incentive to go for it.
    Bear in mind how mad the members were at Labour MPs for never giving Corbyn a chance. The key detail the members ignored was that the MPs all knew Corbyn, at least well enough to judge his leadership qualities.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

KevinB said:

Nigelb said:

KevinB said:

Massive issue.
    You’re beginning to sound a tad… obsessive.
    That’s very, very occasionally a sign that someone’s repressing something.
    thats the standard trope used when people have lost the argument re homosexuality
    and actually repression aint a bad thing civilizarion is built on it
    sometimes i feel like killing someone but i wont do it
    maybe i would fancy a gay orgy in my house but i wouldnt....repression you see it can be a good thing
    I try to avoid doing personal on here, but you're provocative, so....

My daughter's gay. She's getting married shortly to a beautiful (in every sense of the word) woman. I, and the rest of the family, are immensely proud of her, and are really excited and looking forward to the wedding. As a parent, I've found it very rewarding to have a daughter with a different sexuality from my own, and have learnt a lot.

By contrast, your homophobia means you're missing out on the rich variety of human life. Though it may be that it's just gay men you've got a thing about?
    We were lucky enough to at PB, to get upgraded to the Level IV Troll - the one that’s clearly actually studied in the UK at some point, has followed politics here for a while, and knows just enough about a few divisive subjects to draw out the sort of personal comments that he thinks can be used to set people against each other. He’s a big upgrade on the Level III Troll we had last month though, he was as useless as a Russian invasion of Kiev.
    Oh well, another one bites the dust. We’ll have to see if we can get a Level V troll now, one that can go to 500 comments before mentioning gay marriage, abortion, or the war in Ukraine.
    When is the last time that YOU managed that feat?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Booby experts. Nice.
  • Options

Leon said:

You may be surprised

Yes, but in the end. Look at his first shadow cabinet Thornberry, Eagle, Watson, Ashworth, De Piero. He did at least try.
    And he ended up with notorious right wing secret Tory Keir Starmer still there, talk about a broad tent.
  • Options

Leon said:

You may be surprised

Tom Watson! Fuck me, I'd forgotten about him. How long ago was he an MP? Twenty, thirty years ago?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,605

Leon said:

You may be surprised

To an extent, he had to do so. A lot of the parliamentary party preferred to stay on the backbenches rather than join his shadow cabinet.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

You may be surprised

To an extent, he had to do so. A lot of the parliamentary party preferred to stay on the backbenches rather than join his shadow cabinet.
    And to think people thought they had no sense.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,216
    ydoethur said:

He has bummed off
  • Options

Leon said:

You may be surprised

Thornberry has had quite the idealigical journey. She was a Brownite, a Millibandite, a Corbynite and now a Starmerite.
    Any port in a storm Thornberry.
  • Options
    I'd have loved it if in Rishi's launch video there was an obvious tell, like "And that's why, in this year of [different audio] 2022 [original audio] I am standing to be leader"
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Leon said:

You may be surprised

Tom Watson! Fuck me, I'd forgotten about him. How long ago was he an MP? Twenty, thirty years ago?
    If you'd like to catch up on T. Watson

https://www.politico.eu/newsletter/westminster-insider/new-westminster-insider-podcast-labours-tom-watson-on-political-plots-weight-loss-and-living-with-adhd/

He thinks he left politics at the right time and seems to be having a renaissance.
  • Options
    I think Tom Tugendhat gets my vote.
  • Options
    edited July 2022

Leon said:

Booby experts. Nice.
    It was the discussion of DD and his DD t-shirts that clinched the identification. Naff when it happened: I hate to think what would happen today if he tried it on for the Party Leadership today. I do hope he does, please, please ...
  • Options

Except he doesn't.
    He has to be in the final two.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    edited July 2022
    Steve Baker has dropped out and is supporting Suella Braverman. Looks like the ERG are going to vote en bloc.
  • Options
    edited July 2022

Tugendhat and Wallace the final 2 is my long shot projection, Sunak to be knocked out in the final round of MPs votes a la Portillo 2001.

Boris will tell most of his supporters to back Wallace but in the final round will lend a few of them to Tugendhat to knock out Sunak and ensure a solid Wallace win in the membership vote
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    dixiedean said:

Except he doesn't.
    I think he makes it. Tories love a soldier.

Plus he's practically French, what's not to love?
  • Options

Farooq said:

Leon said:

You may be surprised

If you'd like to catch up on T. Watson

https://www.politico.eu/newsletter/westminster-insider/new-westminster-insider-podcast-labours-tom-watson-on-political-plots-weight-loss-and-living-with-adhd/

He thinks he left politics at the right time and seems to be having a renaissance.
    I don't really care what Tom's up to, but thank you anyhow.
    It was more a case of THREE LONG YEARS feeling like three decades and mention of his name really suddenly crystallised that because I don't think I've thought about him once since he left parliament.
  • Options

Steve Baker has dropped out and is supporting Suella Braverman. Looks like the ERG are going to vote en bloc.

Jesus Steve, what you playing at?!
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Except he doesn't.

Eh, what about Mark Francois? He's qualified too.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,942
    CatMan said:

kle4 said:

KevinB said:

Massive issue.
    Congratulations on your psychic abilities to tell what people are thinking.

Besides, some people have awkward looking smiles anyway

The guy in that looks like Richard Tyndall...
    My range of fake smiles is far better :)
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,540

boulay said:

I don’t understand why anyone is bothering arguing with KevinB/MickTrain.

It’s the whole MO - try and cause dissent over things that we disagree with but not to the level that is something that’s such an issue in Russia.

He can poke about sexual freedoms, gay marriage, general politics and then eventually some news agency in Russia is reporting that a “major” (yes I know) political discussion forum in the UK where politicians are known to post is full of people who reject the western liberal view.

Give Kevin/Gary/Mick a few posts to embarrass themselves then shut them down as it’s not being done for no reason.

And Kevin is seriously in the closet.

You're right, and I already regret rising to the bait.
    Fuck him. Thanks for sharing about your daughter, it was lovely to read. Sounds like it’ll be a great day!

Thanks. Us Northerners should stick together.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,231

If you leave it too late to declare your support you are leaving it to other MPs to decide for you by building momentum for their preferred candidate. So you have to work out early which candidate you favour rather than wait for them to convince you.
  • Options

Leon said:

Booby experts. Nice.
    At least you are safe from Kev's suspicions.
  • Options
    Some excellent points by Andrew Marr

https://youtu.be/QfpPTM_i7yw

"Boris Johnson did not resign as Prime Minister", Andrew Marr declares. "'No apologies. Nothing on lying. Nothing on sex pests.’"
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Except he doesn't.

Time for your regular reminder he's an anagram of "mutated thong".
  • Options
    I see Jolyon Maugham has made my point.

I am fairly certain during a general election if the Tory leader is a person of colour somebody fairly high up in Labour/The SNP will say something tasteless and tactless and that'll be a vote winner for the Tories.

One of my highlights in my life was getting told by middle class white people that I really wasn't an ethnic minority because I was privately educated, went to an elite university, had a professional job, so had never experienced racism.

• Options
    Leon said:

And expert with repletes?
  • Options

ahhh hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaohfuckingchristhahahahahahahahaha
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

Except he doesn't.

Eh, what about Mark Francois? He's qualified too.
    Essex lad, but his intelligence is only matched by his height.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,942

Baker would have been a far better prospect than Braverman. He seems at least vaguely normal and able to speak without resorting to cliches and soundbites.
  • Options

This has the election of Corbyn all over it.
    One can dream.
  • Options

Seems odd, but who knows what jostling and hustling is taking place back-stage.

Suella surely can’t win (or can she!) so presumably this is possibly about creating a bloc that can veto Tudgendhat or maybe even Rishi.
  • Options

Interesting, then will switch to Wallace once Braverman is knocked out
  • Options
    DumbosaurusDumbosaurus Posts: 144

Wondering why I was getting fills at 250!
  • Options

I am fairly certain during a general election if the Tory leader is a person of colour somebody fairly high up in Labour/The SNP will say something tasteless and tactless and that'll be a vote winner for the Tories.

One of my highlights in my life was getting told by middle class white people that I really wasn't an ethnic minority because I was privately educated, went to an elite university, had a professional job, so had never experienced racism.

It would seem an inevitability.

But then again, have you let Jeremy Corbyn unlock your talent yet?

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/869571607060070401?lang=en-GB
  • Options
    Ask Alexa to translate "Boris Johnson carrots coffee bean 100" into Welsh.

Answer is NSFW-ish and hilarious.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,445

Indeed - an example of the No True Scotsman fallacy.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_Scotsman#:~:text=No true Scotsman, or appeal,by excluding the counterexample improperly.
  • Options
    Sunak's video is so corporate it could only come from a Goldmans alumni
  • Options

Steve realised the brilliance of Cambridge educated lawyers, he has decided to back the best candidate.
  • Options

Baker would have been a far better prospect than Braverman. He seems at least vaguely normal and able to speak without resorting to cliches and soundbites.
    Steve Baker is pretty much the only Brexiter I have any time for at all. He seems truthful and plain-speaking, but Suella is just a dimwitted stooge.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

It would seem an inevitability.

But then again, have you let Jeremy Corbyn unlock your talent yet?

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/869571607060070401?lang=en-GB
    No, I wonder just how successful in life I would have been if Corbyn had helped me.
  • Options

Steve Baker is pretty much the only Brexiter I have any time for at all. He seems truthful and plain-speaking, but Suella is just a dimwitted stooge.
    Sounds like what the ERG would be after.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,231

Geez. No-one came up with that when they were considering disaster scenarios.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,609
    Farooq said:

deleted, someone else got there before me

You are Captain Scott and I claim my £5!
  • Options
    John Baron considering a leadership bid he tells ITV news at 10, taking soundings over the weekend
  • Options
    Braverman is all about nailing down a Cabinet post. And a senior one. She's got the big mo at the mo.
    No, me neither.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,150
    For the monoglots here.
    Tom Tugend hat.
    Put that into Google translate.
  • Options

Seems odd, but who knows what jostling and hustling is taking place back-stage.

Suella surely can’t win (or can she!) so presumably this is possibly about creating a bloc that can veto Tudgendhat or maybe even Rishi.
    Quite.They can't cope with having to spell Tugendhat.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

John Baron considering a leadership bid he tells ITV news at 10, taking soundings over the weekend

How many of his colleagues have even heard of him?
  • Options

Yes agreed, Sue Ellen Ewing is just a nutter
This discussion has been closed.