Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Could it be that the next PM is NOT an Oxford Grad? – politicalbetting.com

1234568»

Comments

• HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    Peston says 1922 cttee will require 20 MP nominations to be a leadership candidate
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,836
    edited July 2022
    Weather geeks.
    What's the gen on the heatwave?
    How's it looking?
  • wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,841
    HYUFD said:

John Baron considering a leadership bid he tells ITV news at 10, taking soundings over the weekend

Hes the Rifkindite anti war candidate
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    dixiedean said:

Weather geeks.
    How's it looking?

Arrives on Sunday, over 30c for at least a week
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,869
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Here’s a pic that can definitely be guessed, if you have the right zoological knowledge and you check the species and the terrain. Taken in 2013 or so, hence the poor quality (apols)

Are those blue footed Booby's, hence the Galapagos?
    You’re all wrong, but quite close….
    Islas Ballestas?
  • HYUFD said:

Peston says 1922 cttee will require 20 MP nominations to be a leadership candidate

Well with that being Peston, its going to require 8 then.

But aren't the 1922 committee elections being held on Monday? Seems odd to claim to know what a committee that has yet to be elected will decide before its been elected.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,248
    edited July 2022
    Matthew Parris comes out for Sunak

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/only-rishi-sunak-is-smart-enough-for-tough-times-wb2zqf9cn

I’m not sure how much stock he has in the party, he is hugely discredited by his insane reaction to Brexit, so maybe he has none at all. But he does a good run-through of the candidates. He is adamant that Truss is bonkers, albeit likeable
    HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

Weather geeks.
    How's it looking?

Arrives on Sunday, over 30c for at least a week
    Blimey!
    Give thanks I'm up North.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,878
    dixiedean said:

Weather geeks.
    How's it looking?

Standard U.K. high summer heat, so likely low thirties in the south for a few days.
    Nothing out of the ordinary, despite the hyperbole.
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,092

dixiedean said:

Weather geeks.
    How's it looking?

Standard U.K. high summer heat, so likely low thirties in the south for a few days.
    Followed by thunderstorms.

• boulayboulay Posts: 3,773
    Dear RCS, TSE and OGH, I get that we generally believe in free speech here, like/love some wilder theories, life experiences but could we just stop these trolls like MickGuyKev etc early on where possible. They aren’t hard to spot and I get that it’s fun being the cat with the mouse toting with their stupidity but every post gives them some sort of credence or disruption.

Whilst we are all on here so amazingly intelligent and can stop these repressed homosexual sock puppets this shot is going on on sites that (daily mail online I’m looking at you) won’t have posters that can and will counter their bullshit.

Every time they disrupt an argument into culture wars, GP shortages (your fault Foxy) etc they can use this.

Please avoid the temptation - and it’s sodding hard not to - to argue with them - because we can, better - because they don’t change their minds and become enlightened. They are here to disrupt. Please don’t allow them to.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,968

NEW THREAD

• LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 14,772
    dixiedean said:

Weather geeks.
    How's it looking?

We're going to have some hot nights where the temperature stays above 20C, which is a bit problematic health wise, but the latest forecasts don't quite have the full force of the heat plume reaching Southern England - so I don't currently foresee a serious challenge to the current temperature records.
    16 candidates expected says Telegraph reporter.
    Not sure how many of them will make the grid.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,748

I see Jolyon Maugham has made my point.

I am fairly certain during a general election if the Tory leader is a person of colour somebody fairly high up in Labour/The SNP will say something tasteless and tactless and that'll be a vote winner for the Tories.

One of my highlights in my life was getting told by middle class white people that I really wasn't an ethnic minority because I was privately educated, went to an elite university, had a professional job, so had never experienced racism.

I’m old enough to to remember Unionists touching themselves inappropriately at SLab being the first UK ‘party’ to elect an ethnic minority person as leader.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,878
    geoffw said:

dixiedean said:

Weather geeks.
    How's it looking?

Followed by thunderstorms.

Missed that bit out, oops!
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,812
    Surely Truss wins the membership if it is Sunak v Truss.
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,869

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Here’s a pic that can definitely be guessed, if you have the right zoological knowledge and you check the species and the terrain. Taken in 2013 or so, hence the poor quality (apols)

Are those blue footed Booby's, hence the Galapagos?
    You’re all wrong, but quite close….
    Islas Ballestas?
    Sorry, posted too late.
    Visited in 2017 from Paracas.
  • OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,911
    Farooq said:

Well, I predicted Sunday 7pm. I was way off.

Not sure why it takes so long. In one sense way it's a joke because nobody falls for it after the first couple of posts and as this is a tolerant site by and large so they stick out like a sore thumb. Perhaps Robert just allows everyone to have a bit of fun at their expense before the hammer falls.

• Leon said:

My family WhatsApp, which is quite rightwing (but with greens and lefties too) has gone from accepting the departure of Boris to OMFG look at these idiots (the potential replacements) and Can we have Boris back

What astounds me is the appalling "quality" of the candidates. I know that Boris is accused of surrounding himself with low quality wannabes and has-beens but is this lot really all that is available?

There is no way that any of this shower will lead the Tories to victory at the next election.
    You may be surprised
    I mean when weve bern treated to Labour leaderships featuring magic grandpa versus Owen Smith, that time they put Diane Abbott up, the Miliband family comedy troup and not forgetting Rebecca Long Bailey they cant be 'too' bad
    Labour's candidates were appalling too and for much the same reason. Corbyn surrounded himself with those who were no danger to him, just like Johnson. Anyone with talent was purged if they threatened The Leader.

Corbyn and Johnson were opposite cheeks of the same ar*e and the pair of them have polluted the politics of this country.
    You're wrong about Corbyn's 'purges'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_Cabinet_of_Jeremy_Corbyn
    Really? He did not surround himself with Corbynites? The bulk of his own party tried to get rid of him. In that, at least, they did better than the "Conservative" Party
    Yes, but in the end. Look at his first shadow cabinet Thornberry, Eagle, Watson, Ashworth, De Piero. He did at least try.
    Thornberry has had quite the idealigical journey. She was a Brownite, a Millibandite, a Corbynite and now a Starmerite.
    Any port in a storm Thornberry.
    But not Rochester...
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,046

Leon said:

Well done to @foxy and @carnyx for identifying birds like the booby in my rubbish photo

PB is replete with expertise

And expert with repletes?
    It's more explete with repartee if tonight's anything to go by.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,046

Steve Baker has dropped out and is supporting Suella Braverman. Looks like the ERG are going to vote en bloc.

Jesus Steve, what you playing at?!
    Seems odd, but who knows what jostling and hustling is taking place back-stage.

Suella surely can’t win (or can she!) so presumably this is possibly about creating a bloc that can veto Tudgendhat or maybe even Rishi.
    Is any bloc needed to veto tugonthat? I thought continuity remoan within the PCP had gone the way of Change UK.
This discussion has been closed.