Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A day long remembered – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    Lectern alert!! With the crest?
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,737

Germany’s largest real estate group Vonovia wants to lower the heating temperature of the gas central heating at night to reduce gas consumption. The company announced on Thursday that the power would be reduced to a room temperature of 17 degrees between 11 p.m. and 6 a.m. the heating temperature should be changed as part of the routine maintenance of the heating systems before the start of the heating season.

Bumper jumper sales in Germany this autumn.

The Guardian, yesterday, reported Olaf Scholz telling Germans that they must expect compulsory mask wearing to return this autumn/winter

Das ist nicht gut
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,803
    Applicant said:

darkage said:

Dominic Cummings
    @Dominic2306
    ·
    40m
    I know that guy & I'm telling you -he doesn't think it's over, he's thinking 'there's a war, weird shit happens in a war, play for time play for time, I can still get out of this, I got a mandate, members love me, get to September...'

If MPs leave him in situ there'll be CARNAGE

Could he try and stand in the leadership contest?
    No. It's explicitly excluded by Schedule 2 of the party constitution.
    Ah... could the constitution be changed?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,052
    IshmaelZ said:

dixiedean said:

darkage said:

Dominic Cummings
    @Dominic2306
    ·
    40m
    I know that guy & I'm telling you -he doesn't think it's over, he's thinking 'there's a war, weird shit happens in a war, play for time play for time, I can still get out of this, I got a mandate, members love me, get to September...'

Interesting point.
    He hasn't lost a Party VONC after all. Once he resigns the leadership he's eligible AFAICS.
    CBA to verify but Major did that and I thought they changed the rules so its now not possible
    You may be right. I wasn't.aware of that.
  • Options
    Where's Carrie?
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 7,543
    edited July 2022
    Leon said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

As has been said by others, Wallace will be the favourite... unless and until there is a real competition. And they have to persuade people of their merits

And there SHOULD be a competition. We don't want a coronation. This is the next Prime Minister

Wallace is lacklustre, he will struggle in a debate.

Yes. see the principle enunciated above: He has no chance of growing into the role. He is exactly as boring as he looks.
    He is so obviously IDS 2.0

I can't believe the Tories are so dumb they will nominate him. He will soon have everyone yearning for Boris, which is exactly what they don't want. Plus he nullifies the advantage for them that is the Boringness of Starmer
    Simplistic poppycock. You are just unhappy because you are a closet Bozo apologist. You like having a clown for a leader. The country would like someone who has cred at home and abroad. Wallace has this. Johnson never did. he was a joke. Any genuine patriot would see that.
    lol

Ben Wallace has cred abroad? I doubt there are three people beyond the UK who know who he is. In fact I doubt there are three people IN the UK who know who he is, probably his wife sometimes forgets his name

It is possible Wallace might persuade Zelensky to name check him in any 'thank you Boris for your support' utterances given how involved he has been in support to Ukraine. It might assist his bid.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,289
    🔴 EXCLUSIVE: The chairman of the 1922 committee did not agree that Boris Johnson can remain Prime Minister until October on Thursday morning, The Telegraph can reveal https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/07/07/1922-committe-chief-never-agreed-boris-johnson-could-stay-autumn/?utm_content=politics&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1657192911-1
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,223
    edited July 2022
    Lectern has government crest on it!
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,341
    Leon said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

As has been said by others, Wallace will be the favourite... unless and until there is a real competition. And they have to persuade people of their merits

And there SHOULD be a competition. We don't want a coronation. This is the next Prime Minister

Yes. see the principle enunciated above: He has no chance of growing into the role. He is exactly as boring as he looks.

I can't believe the Tories are so dumb they will nominate him. He will soon have everyone yearning for Boris, which is exactly what they don't want. Plus he nullifies the advantage for them that is the Boringness of Starmer
    Simplistic poppycock. You are just unhappy because you are a closet Bozo apologist. You like having a clown for a leader. The country would like someone who has cred at home and abroad. Wallace has this. Johnson never did. he was a joke. Any genuine patriot would see that.
    lol

Ben Wallace has cred abroad? I doubt there are three people beyond the UK who know who he is. In fact I doubt there are three people IN the UK who know who he is, probably his wife sometimes forgets his name

Wallace hasn't a prayer. Truss is the only game in town.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,522
    eek said:

Guido Fawkes
    @GuidoFawkes
    Told Downing Street currently texting MPs who haven’t resigned to stand behind PM outside Number 10 during his statement.

Both of them?
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    darkage said:

Applicant said:

darkage said:

Dominic Cummings
    @Dominic2306
    ·
    40m

No. It's explicitly excluded by Schedule 2 of the party constitution.
    Ah... could the constitution be changed?
    Not soon enough to do him any good.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Incidentally, the 1922 Committee should've altered the rules already so they could have a snap vote held if the fool tries to wriggle out of resignation and cling on for months hoping to renege (yet again) upon a promise.

All prepped for. They are just waiting for the new exec to be elected on monday, the point being members will stand on a Change the Rules platform which will give legitimacy to the change.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,020

Germany’s largest real estate group Vonovia wants to lower the heating temperature of the gas central heating at night to reduce gas consumption. The company announced on Thursday that the power would be reduced to a room temperature of 17 degrees between 11 p.m. and 6 a.m. the heating temperature should be changed as part of the routine maintenance of the heating systems before the start of the heating season.

Bloody hell, that's far too warm. I always have the heating off at night, all year round.
  • Options

Where's Carrie?

She is conspicuously absent from everything. Serious hints that she's bolted
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,603

Where's Carrie?

Long gone.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,272
    Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

BETTING POST

Bet yesterday on Dominic Raab on Smarkets as next PM thinking he might be interim PM. Smarkets have made clear on their rules though that interim PM would not count (despite the claim no such thing exists).

However Raab has come in to 6.6-6.8 so I've laid off my stake and made a 420% return on my stake in 24 hours. Not bad. However if that is because others are thinking Raab will be interim, or because they're matching Betfair (where the rules indicate interim may pay out unlike Smarkets) then this could be a very good lay.

I don't see why Raab would be layable at 6.8 otherwise. Cashing out or laying Raab on Smarkets could be good value. Laying him on Smarkets and backing him on Betfair might even be potentially profitable.

How do they define 'interim PM' ?
    The Smarkets rules include the following:

This market, where possible, will be settled according to the UK government website (https://www.gov.uk/government/ministers/prime-minister).

Clarification 1 Feb 2022 11:00 The question of whether an individual would count as an interim or caretaker will, if possible, be resolved by the official government page linked to above e.g. if somebody takes over the responsibilities of a PM who has resigned and left the government, that person will count as the next PM if they are listed as such unless the listing describes them as temporary, interim or similar.

That's unambiguous, I think. There is absolutely no chance at all of the official government page describing the replacement as temporary or interim.
    That’s a lot of power being invested in the government website admin guy.
    Damn it, I was going to make that joke :smile:
  • Options
    Leon said:

Where's Carrie?

Indeed!
  • Options
    "I know what's going on. I'm going on."

• Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,522
    Leon said:

Where's Carrie?

She was at the Abbey when he was boo'd.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,558

That still strikes me as pretty warm for a night time indoor temperature.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,808
    Leon said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

lol

I suspect most people "abroad" know very few of our politicians, except the Clown, for all the wrong reasons. He has made us a laughing stock in the same way Trump has done to the US. The slight difference is that Trump gets a slight grudging respect because he is a thug. Johnson is seen with incredulity outside the UK. How could a serious country with a great history make such an incompetent charlatan their most senior lawmaker? And you (much as I actually rather like you sweety) are one of his apologists in chief. Perhaps you like to have our country laughed at?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,042
    tlg86 said:

May's did too ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJIv3yzC430
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    I feel like, as a country, we could invest a bit more in the lectern.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,322
    Are people following the 538 Senate forecast?

They have 3 models:

- Polls only model has the Democrats as FAVOURITES to win - 60% chance Dem control, 40% chance Rep control

- Classic model (Polls model + fundraising/past voting) also has Dems as favourites - 58% chance Dem control

- Deluxe model (Classic model + expert ratings) has 47% chance Dem control

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2022-election-forecast/senate/?cid=rrpromo
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,050
    Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

BETTING POST

Bet yesterday on Dominic Raab on Smarkets as next PM thinking he might be interim PM. Smarkets have made clear on their rules though that interim PM would not count (despite the claim no such thing exists).

However Raab has come in to 6.6-6.8 so I've laid off my stake and made a 420% return on my stake in 24 hours. Not bad. However if that is because others are thinking Raab will be interim, or because they're matching Betfair (where the rules indicate interim may pay out unlike Smarkets) then this could be a very good lay.

I don't see why Raab would be layable at 6.8 otherwise. Cashing out or laying Raab on Smarkets could be good value. Laying him on Smarkets and backing him on Betfair might even be potentially profitable.

This market, where possible, will be settled according to the UK government website (https://www.gov.uk/government/ministers/prime-minister).

Clarification 1 Feb 2022 11:00 The question of whether an individual would count as an interim or caretaker will, if possible, be resolved by the official government page linked to above e.g. if somebody takes over the responsibilities of a PM who has resigned and left the government, that person will count as the next PM if they are listed as such unless the listing describes them as temporary, interim or similar.

That's unambiguous, I think. There is absolutely no chance at all of the official government page describing the replacement as temporary or interim.
    Actually, does anyone know who is the CISO of the relevant department? That’s really worth flagging to them, that potentially millions of pounds of bets hang on what they might publish.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

May's did too ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJIv3yzC430
    No crest = calling an election, right?
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,925
    Pulpstar said:

Boris' book will sell more than 5,000 copies. He's got a huge army of sycophants out there still.

How many of them buy and read political biographies?

I would probably buy a serious biography of Johnson once the dust has settled but an autobiography is going to be nothing but a series of self-serving lies. Does anyone seriously think Boris has kept detailed documentation of his period in office? He "forgot" he'd had a personal briefing on Pincher FFS.

As an historical record his book will be worse than useless.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,172
    Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

I’d imagine a joint Sunak/Javid ticket could be in play

It would be powerful and I can see Hunt joining it too in exchange for a big post.
    Sunak PM, Javid CoE, Hunt Foreign Sec works.
    It won't work for many Tory members.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,313

Leon said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

lol

Perhaps there’ll be a ticket like the Clarke/Redwood alliance. A Remainer supported by Baker.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,808

Leon said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

lol

It is possible Wallace might persuade Zelensky to name check him in any 'thank you Boris for your support' utterances given how involved he has been in support to Ukraine. It might assist his bid.
    Sort of shameless thing the Clown would do, but I can't imagine an ex-army officer would want to do that. If it happens, fine, but I can't imagine him asking for it.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    I'd laugh if Boris strode out, tapped the mike, shouted "WIF-WAF'S COMING HOME!" and then strode back into No. 10.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,461
    Carrie and baby appear
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,127
    Really finding out who the true Boris fanboys among MPs are today.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,403

Leon said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

lol

Perhaps there’ll be a ticket like the Clarke/Redwood alliance. A Remainer supported by Baker.
    Tugendhat? Both 'veterans', to use the USicism.
  • Options
    Carrie's there!
  • Options
    Carrie turns up.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,793
    Princess Suck-Suck and Baby Bozo!
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,193

Nigelb said:

BETTING POST

A Prime Minister who isn’t leader of the Conservative Party.

They could only pay out on an individual who is BOTH Conservative Party Leader AND Prime Minister.
    Not Starmer, then ??

Leon said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

lol

Not currently in town...

• Options

Vonovia stock ticked up 1% in the US in a generally down market.
  • Options

Carrie and baby appear

Oh, the baby does have a face.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,875

Where's Carrie?

Long gone.
    Standing outside Downing St.
  • Options
    Carrie is there
  • Options

The precedent? Gordon Brown. Realised he was a barrier and voluntarily resigned as party leader. But expected he would continue as PM. As that quickly became not just untenable but laughable he had to make another statement that he was going. Before it went dark.

That's not a valid precedent because when Brown left it was clear who would take over.

Do you really image the theatre of someone going to the palace to be asked to form a caretaker government?
    The Deputy Prime Minister. Or if he recuses himself because he wants the job permanently, then we are back to the men in grey suits making a recommendation to the monarch. As they always used to do.
    I'm still waiting for an example of when what "they always used to do" happened.
    Hitler, Berlin, 1945.
  • Options
    He stays until a new leader
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    OllyT said:

Pulpstar said:

Boris' book will sell more than 5,000 copies. He's got a huge army of sycophants out there still.

How many of them buy and read political biographies?

I would probably buy a serious biography of Johnson once the dust has settled but an autobiography is going to be nothing but a series of self-serving lies. Does anyone seriously think Boris has kept detailed documentation of his period in office? He "forgot" he'd had a personal briefing on Pincher FFS.

As an historical record his book will be worse than useless.
    The purposes of such books is not for the historical record it is for a personal record.

It will sell more than 5000 - journalists and politicos along will get it above that. The idea no one will be interested at all is just plain silliness because we dislike him and he is on the way out.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,172
    edited July 2022
    The Conservatives' chances of winning the next election must have increased greatly today.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,336
    Boris blustering.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,032
    Timetable announced next week, wants to be leader until election completed.

Both too slow by far.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,735

Boris blustering.

I’m distracted by his hair.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

The Conservatives' chances of winning the next election must have increased greatly today.

Only if Boris is not vindictive...
  • Options

Seems it was agreed with Brady
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,558
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

BETTING POST

Actually, does anyone know who is the CISO of the relevant department? That’s really worth flagging to them, that potentially millions of pounds of bets hang on what they might publish.
    Off topic, but @Sandpit, given our conversation last week, you may be interested to know that a colleague of mine is moving to Dubai - when I asked him what the main push/pull factors were, the number one thing in his list was schools.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,447

Both too slow by far.

Plenty of time for that to be changed.
  • Options
    Mr. Northwales, nope, he said that the process of getting a new leader starting today/now was agreed with Brady.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,717
    Scott_xP said:

That's not the one final hurrah I would've thought of? https://twitter.com/MahyarTousi/status/1544988375475781633

That really made me laugh.
  • Options
    Parallel universe stuff.
  • Options
    I stayed so long over last few days because I think I have a direct mandate from the voters.

Populist and incapable of understanding the British system to the bitter end.

VONC now.

• Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    Nope. After 30 seconds of listening to that tripe from Boris, I threw up
  • Options

Not in Brady's gift
  • Options
    Waffle bullshit now.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,875
    edited July 2022
    Absolutely perfect timing that Theresa May is delivering a speech at the @instituteforgo on restoring faith in politics.

"What a week to hold this lecture," she starts. "But for the avoidance of doubt this is the speech I would have delivered regardless."

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1545002080112414720

• Options
    What is the music playing in the background?
  • Options

Both too slow by far.

If the conservatives mps have any sense they will arrange a coronation and new PM in two weeks
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,103
    Dear me this speech is utterly delusional. Good riddance .
  • Options
    "Herd instinct" 🤣
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,560
    Oh god a message to the people of Ukraine. Oh wait he's now talking about investment in infrastructure in the UK. Are the Ukrainians interested in his levelling up programme?
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,102

Waffle bullshit now.

Isn't that every speech Bozo ever made?
  • Options

Both too slow by far.

If the conservatives mps have any sense they will arrange a coronation and new PM in two weeks
    They don't have any sense.
  • Options

What is the music playing in the background?

"Carrie doesn't live here any more"
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Not in Brady's gift
    As chair of the 1922 he has considerable influence
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,193

Don't know whether it will matter, but I'm fairly certain there's a majority in Parliament who are unhappy with that.
    Lots of Tory MPs have been saying it's not acceptable.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

BETTING POST

Off topic, but @Sandpit, given our conversation last week, you may be interested to know that a colleague of mine is moving to Dubai - when I asked him what the main push/pull factors were, the number one thing in his list was schools.
    Feel free to PM me his details if he wishes. Always happy to help welcome new expats. It’s a nice community out here.
  • Options
    "But them's the breaks"
  • Options
    He'll give the new leader as much support as he can. That's all they need.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,717
    He could keep this string of unrelated words going forever.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,587
    Get off the stage...
  • Options
    I hope the new PM likes Lulu Whatshername's wallpaper
  • Options
    Ben Riley-Smith
    @benrileysmith
    ·
    17m
    EXCLUSIVE

1922 chairman Sir Graham Brady did NOT agree that Boris Johnson can remain PM until October when they talked this morning

He only agreed a new leader would be in place *by* Oct party conference - an important distinction. Ie PM could go sooner
  • Options
    PM forgets he's not at Chequers...

Not the most important thing that's slipped his mind recently.
  • Options
    edited July 2022

IshmaelZ said:

Not in Brady's gift
    Until Monday. When the new chair says "I have heard from colleagues in considerable numbers and say that the timetable I have inherited is untenable."
  • Options
    Is this speech like the way backbenchers try to talk out the time for debates?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,042
    Both Carrie and Boris' long time squeeze in support at the front.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,942
    Cookie said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

BETTING POST

Have relatives at and can very much recommend Dubai British School.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    No reference to Peppa Pig.

So an improvement.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,223
    2019 leadership contest:

7 June to 23 July

So it can be done quite quickly.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Are people following the 538 Senate forecast?

They have 3 models:

- Polls only model has the Democrats as FAVOURITES to win - 60% chance Dem control, 40% chance Rep control

- Classic model (Polls model + fundraising/past voting) also has Dems as favourites - 58% chance Dem control

- Deluxe model (Classic model + expert ratings) has 47% chance Dem control

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2022-election-forecast/senate/?cid=rrpromo

It's an interesting one:

(a) Dems lead in Senate polls in Georgia, Arizona, Nevada, New Hampshire, and Pennsylvania
    and
    (b) Evan McMullin has a decent outside shot in Utah

I would be a seller of Republican majority on Betfair, because that requires them to get 51 seats. Right now, the polls show them getting 49.

Now, the enthusiasm gap is definitely on the Republicans side (albeit Roe v Wade has spiced things up), but still... those are amazing odds.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,227
    JRM and Dorries "visibly moved"... By the prospect of being cast back to the backbenches.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,255
    Good, measured resignation speech by Boris
  • Options
    That was an utterly terrible speech.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,052
    Well. That was dull.
  • Options
    How many FPN notice people in that crowd of staff walking back into No 10? LOL
  • Options
    Good speech. I'm gonna miss him
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 7,543
    Beth Rigby going with 'classic Boris' and 'dignified'

Lol
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,587

I hope the new PM likes Lulu Whatshername's wallpaper

When we get to see it for the first time its going to be like ceaucescu's gold taps....
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Not in Brady's gift
    Till monday

As PM boris had considerable influence too, much god it did him
  • Options

Both too slow by far.

They aren't going to determine the timetable until the new 1922 executive is in place, which is in any case parliament's next sitting day IIRC. They'll announce it Monday or Tuesday, I expect. Nominations could close by the end of next week and they could be down to two by the end of the following week.
  • Options

JRM and Dorries "visibly moved"... By the prospect of being cast back to the backbenches.

It 'aint over.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

Good, measured resignation speech by Boris

Mate, we get it. He took you for a fool, used you, and then threw you out. It can't be easy for you but know that your PB family is here for you.
This discussion has been closed.