Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A day long remembered – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,260

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

If members think Liz Truss is the answer.. god
    Help us all

I will laugh hysterically if having pushed so hard to get rid of Boris left liberal PBers now end up with Steve Baker, Priti Patel, Liz Truss or Suella Braverman as PM once it gets to the Tory membership.

Boris might end up the moderate PM of this Tory government!!
    Right wing, and EU Sceptic Conservatives wanted him gone.

It's not about policy. It's about his being an amoral, sociopathic snake.
    Even if he was, as El Capitano says he was also a relatively Liberal, One Nation amoral, sociopathic snake apart from Brexit.

Once he goes the Tories will now likely move even further to the tax cutting, small state, anti Woke, anti lockdown right in the next few years while still keeping Johnson's hard Brexit approach
    So what? The red wall do not want tax cutting and a small state. They want levelling up.
    Yes but the Red Wall voted for Boris and to get Brexit done not the Tory Party, now Brexit has got done and Boris is not even Tory leader
    Sorry, but as I have said before, you lose credibility with your statements that are presented as facts. This is complete cobblers, and Mike has presented at least two headers with strong evidence that the strongest motivation for people in those seats at that election was stopping Corbyn. You are like a "speak your weight" machine that keeps repeating political slogans.

As for your other statement that Wallace will win the membership vote, that may be the balance of probability, but it is not fact. Try applying a little nuance, or perhaps start your sentences with IMO. You are not fecking Nostradamus.
    In 2017 the redwall seats voted for Corbyn.

The redwall seats only voted Conservative in 2019 for Boris and to get Brexit done.

Now neither no longer apply they will likely go back to Labour again on the whole
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,201

BETTING POST

Bet yesterday on Dominic Raab on Smarkets as next PM thinking he might be interim PM. Smarkets have made clear on their rules though that interim PM would not count (despite the claim no such thing exists).

However Raab has come in to 6.6-6.8 so I've laid off my stake and made a 420% return on my stake in 24 hours. Not bad. However if that is because others are thinking Raab will be interim, or because they're matching Betfair (where the rules indicate interim may pay out unlike Smarkets) then this could be a very good lay.

I don't see why Raab would be layable at 6.8 otherwise. Cashing out or laying Raab on Smarkets could be good value. Laying him on Smarkets and backing him on Betfair might even be potentially profitable.

How do they define 'interim PM' ?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,313

The precedent? Gordon Brown. Realised he was a barrier and voluntarily resigned as party leader. But expected he would continue as PM. As that quickly became not just untenable but laughable he had to make another statement that he was going. Before it went dark.

That's not a valid precedent because when Brown left it was clear who would take over.

Do you really image the theatre of someone going to the palace to be asked to form a caretaker government?
    The Deputy Prime Minister. Or if he recuses himself because he wants the job permanently, then we are back to the men in grey suits making a recommendation to the monarch. As they always used to do.
    I'm still waiting for an example of when what "they always used to do" happened.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,808

Cookie said:

Cleverly Education Secretary - is ydoethur the new 10 spin doctor perhaps?

What? What happened to Michelle Donelan?
    Appointed yesterday. Resigned this morning.
    For those that remember Robin Day, she genuinely would be, in his words, "a here today, gone tomorrow politician"
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,052
    Best wishes @MaxPB. Glad it isn't as serious as feared. Look after yourself.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Help us all

I will laugh hysterically if having pushed so hard to get rid of Boris left liberal PBers now end up with Steve Baker, Priti Patel, Liz Truss or Suella Braverman as PM once it gets to the Tory membership.

This is pathetic, even for your good self.

Tory MPs have forced him out. Nobody else. Not me or @CorrectHorseBattery and @Scott_xP . Your MPs in your party and nobody else.

And why have Tory MPs forced him out. Because what Boris Johnson has done is fundamentally wrong. *Morally* wrong. Procedurally wrong.

That you - even now - deny this wrongdoing speaks volumes about your lack of understanding of basic principles like right and wrong. I think you described comments like this as "abuse" yesterday. Not abuse - sorrow. As like any Christian -as opposed to the faux hypocrite ones - I will rejoice when you finally repent and recognise reality.
    HYUFD doesn't understand the concept of morality. Time and time again any question of right and wrong bounces off him and he reflects it because with talking about what's legal or possible. He doesn't understand ethics, he only knows about the exercise of force.
    My morality and ethics are not your left liberal morality and ethics and never will be
    Indeed. I don't believe you have any morality or ethics. You have always deflected away from everything BlowJo has done and insisted its all about opinion polls. No right. No wrong. No morals. Just a naked desire for power at any price.

That's your "morality and ethics" is it?
    If I had a naked desire for power at any price I would have joined the Labour Party from 1997 to 2010
    Well you have already confessed to voting for Welsh independence.

Anything else you wish to confess?
    No I didn't, I voted for more Tory candidates than Plaid on that town council ballot paper and Welsh independence was not on the ballot
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,064
    eek said:

Alistair said:
    Starmer threatens VONC if Johnson does not resign as PM ✊🏼✊🏼✊🏼
    LOL. Every single Conservative MP will vote against that, to them it’s an internal party matter and they will elect a new leader in due course.
  • Options
    Surely it's entirely up to the PM what he says?
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,109
    HYUFD said:

Raab and Sunak around 5.6, Wallace still 4.2.

Is Wallace contingent on a coronation?

No, Wallace would win the membership vote
    I understand that you are basing your position on what certain current polling indicates but do you think that your certainties are premature?

We don’t know how long any leadership campaign will last and so if not a snap decision there is plenty of time for candidates to lay out their ideas and programmes which will open the eyes of the membership (and MPs). For example we can’t be 100% sure what Sunak would do as PM as whilst CotE he had a relatively narrow remit - if he puts his ideas into a wider programme then it might massively change minds.

We also don’t know what Wallace’s plans would be and his ideas might not stack up or be that attractive to the wider electorate which could serve as a hurdle.

There is also the likelihood that some will stand where the press have juicy damaging info which has been held back until “ worth using” which could derail candidates and change the balance.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,048
    Nigelb said:

Cookie said:

As a matter of interest, how much do the overnight ministers earn for their 24 hours of office ?
    The number quoted earlier was £35K
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,290
    Voters in Stratford-upon-Avon react to the news that Boris Johnson is set to resign as prime minister 👇

Latest politics updates: https://trib.al/dwvcRFT https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1545000534276456454/video/1

Zahawi's constituency...
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Not sure if already posted but per Times Radio:

YouGov has polled Con members and done several head to heads - and Wallace wins a head to head against all other leading candidates.

Has he said yet whether he wants it?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,403
    edited July 2022
    TOPPING said:

I despise Boris Johnson but I’m going to buy his memoirs because that’s what I do with ex PMs.

I might have to report Leon to the rozzers for larceny. .

I will not be buying them. Not because I think Boris is a tosser, but because I have Mandleson's, Blair's, and Boris's Churchill (a present) on my bookshelves and can't be motivated to pick up any of them to read.

A bit like I dislike biopic films. Who cares what Johnny Cash did or didn't do.
    He shot a man in Reno and watched him die!
    I care!
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,605
    Scott_xP said:

Cabinet appointed and meeting at 3

BoZo "statement"

I am not resigning...

I intend to resign but not just yet. There is work to do. Action this day.

VONC now.

• Options
    Simon_PeachSimon_Peach Posts: 409
    So the Tory experiment of having an Education Secretary with faith in state schools has come to an abrupt end…
  • Options
    Selebian said:

Nigelb said:

MaxPB said:

Thanks for the kind words on the previous topic everyone!

In the end it turns out I have a minor heart condition which causes an irregular heartbeat so from today no more caffeine, no more HIIT and I need to figure out a better diet. Glad to have had the wake-up call before anything more serious happened.

A-fib ?

I think it caused my father in law's stroke, and my brother in laws had cardiac ablation to treat it.
    https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/atrial-fibrillation-ablation/about/pac-20384969
    I'd be a wee bit suspicious of anyone proposing a technique using 'cold energy'. Interesting approach though. My FiL also has it.
    Cryo, as opposed to heat treatment - though their terminology is nonsense, it's pretty effective treatment, and not particularly risky.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,272
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Help us all

Tory MPs have forced him out. Nobody else. Not me or @CorrectHorseBattery and @Scott_xP . Your MPs in your party and nobody else.

And why have Tory MPs forced him out. Because what Boris Johnson has done is fundamentally wrong. *Morally* wrong. Procedurally wrong.

That you - even now - deny this wrongdoing speaks volumes about your lack of understanding of basic principles like right and wrong. I think you described comments like this as "abuse" yesterday. Not abuse - sorrow. As like any Christian -as opposed to the faux hypocrite ones - I will rejoice when you finally repent and recognise reality.
    HYUFD doesn't understand the concept of morality. Time and time again any question of right and wrong bounces off him and he reflects it because with talking about what's legal or possible. He doesn't understand ethics, he only knows about the exercise of force.
    My morality and ethics are not your left liberal morality and ethics and never will be
    Is it particularly right wing to be a lying scumbag?
    Tony Blair and Boris Johnson... Sounds like a yes to be.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Nigelb said:

BETTING POST

Bet yesterday on Dominic Raab on Smarkets as next PM thinking he might be interim PM. Smarkets have made clear on their rules though that interim PM would not count (despite the claim no such thing exists).

However Raab has come in to 6.6-6.8 so I've laid off my stake and made a 420% return on my stake in 24 hours. Not bad. However if that is because others are thinking Raab will be interim, or because they're matching Betfair (where the rules indicate interim may pay out unlike Smarkets) then this could be a very good lay.

I don't see why Raab would be layable at 6.8 otherwise. Cashing out or laying Raab on Smarkets could be good value. Laying him on Smarkets and backing him on Betfair might even be potentially profitable.

The Smarkets rules include the following:

This market, where possible, will be settled according to the UK government website (https://www.gov.uk/government/ministers/prime-minister).

Clarification 1 Feb 2022 11:00 The question of whether an individual would count as an interim or caretaker will, if possible, be resolved by the official government page linked to above e.g. if somebody takes over the responsibilities of a PM who has resigned and left the government, that person will count as the next PM if they are listed as such unless the listing describes them as temporary, interim or similar.

That's unambiguous, I think. There is absolutely no chance at all of the official government page describing the replacement as temporary or interim.
  • Options
    Dominic Cummings
    @Dominic2306
    ·
    40m
    I know that guy & I'm telling you -he doesn't think it's over, he's thinking 'there's a war, weird shit happens in a war, play for time play for time, I can still get out of this, I got a mandate, members love me, get to September...'

If MPs leave him in situ there'll be CARNAGE
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,127

It's funny how few Boris supporters remain.

Boris's flaws were obvious and visible from well before he became PM. There was zero reason to believe he would change when he got the top job. So everyone who supported him for the leadership "because Brexit" is partially culpable for the mess we are in today.

Especially as he was partially responsible for the mess that is Brexit back in 2016, and for it becoming a mess when he became PM.

They needed him at that point to win. They figured they could take action if they needed to.

They were right, they just took too long (winning so big gave him a lot of cover)
  • Options
    Buckland was on Sky news at 7.20 this morning calling on Johnson to leave office.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtcZ4Q71Fz8
    Less than five hours later, and he's in Johnson's (interim? caretaker?) Cabinet. https://twitter.com/HugoGye/status/1544998769611214849
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

BETTING POST

Market Rules
    This market relates to the person to occupy the position of Prime Minister of the United Kingdom on a permanent basis after Boris Johnson. Interim or caretaker prime ministers will not count towards the settlement of this market.

This market, where possible, will be settled according to the UK government website (https://www.gov.uk/government/ministers/prime-minister).

Clarification 1 Feb 2022 11:00 The question of whether an individual would count as an interim or caretaker will, if possible, be resolved by the official government page linked to above e.g. if somebody takes over the responsibilities of a PM who has resigned and left the government, that person will count as the next PM if they are listed as such unless the listing describes them as temporary, interim or similar.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Nigelb said:

MaxPB said:

In the end it turns out I have a minor heart condition which causes an irregular heartbeat so from today no more caffeine, no more HIIT and I need to figure out a better diet. Glad to have had the wake-up call before anything more serious happened.

A-fib ?

I think it caused my father in law's stroke, and my brother in laws had cardiac ablation to treat it.
    https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/atrial-fibrillation-ablation/about/pac-20384969
    Happily no, I have a premature ectopic heartbeat which is caused by a secondary area of heartbeat triggering. It's not very serious but last night made me realise I'm not just here for me, I've got a wife and daughter as well and I want to see my daughter grow up. Sacrificing coffee seems like a small price to pay for that.
    Live long and prosper.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,043
    edited July 2022

Nigelb said:

BETTING POST

That's unambiguous, I think. There is absolutely no chance at all of the official government page describing the replacement as temporary or interim.
    The Betfair market is in real trouble if they do. Betfair has made no such caveats within their rules.
  • Options
    I see the long nightmare experiment of a Comprehensive educated Education Secretary is finally over.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,738
    As has been said by others, Wallace will be the favourite... unless and until there is a real competition. And they have to persuade people of their merits

And there SHOULD be a competition. We don't want a coronation. This is the next Prime Minister

Wallace is lacklustre, he will struggle in a debate.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Sandpit said:

eek said:

Alistair said:
    LOL. Every single Conservative MP will vote against that, to them it’s an internal party matter and they will elect a new leader in due course.
    90% of them will vote for it.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,447

The precedent? Gordon Brown. Realised he was a barrier and voluntarily resigned as party leader. But expected he would continue as PM. As that quickly became not just untenable but laughable he had to make another statement that he was going. Before it went dark.

That's not a valid precedent because when Brown left it was clear who would take over.

Do you really image the theatre of someone going to the palace to be asked to form a caretaker government?
    The Deputy Prime Minister. Or if he recuses himself because he wants the job permanently, then we are back to the men in grey suits making a recommendation to the monarch. As they always used to do.
    I'm still waiting for an example of when what "they always used to do" happened.
    Home as your starter for 10
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    I must say, I think fears of him "clinging on" are overblown. Once he's resigned as Tory leader, that starts a leadership election in which he can't stand - and as soon as that produces a winner, that winner will be the person deemed to be able to command the confidence of the House.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713

Dominic Cummings
    @Dominic2306
    ·
    40m
    I know that guy & I'm telling you -he doesn't think it's over, he's thinking 'there's a war, weird shit happens in a war, play for time play for time, I can still get out of this, I got a mandate, members love me, get to September...'

I wonder if he might 'claim' to resign as Tory leader 'in september' rather than resign today.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

BETTING POST

Never say no chance.

Either way I'm glad to be cashed out of the market, even more glad to have done so with 420% of my stake!
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

BREAKING: Labour leader Keir Starmer threatens to table a confidence motion in Boris Johnson if he "clings on" in No 10 after he has resigned as Tory leader.
    https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1544995876988411905

I can't help but think he has missed the boat now.

If he had done this a couple of days ago, or even a couple of weeks ago it would have meant something. Now it looks pointless politicking.
    It's essential now.

If BoZo is still acting PM tonight they have to do it
  • Options
    Applicant said:

I must say, I think fears of him "clinging on" are overblown. Once he's resigned as Tory leader, that starts a leadership election in which he can't stand - and as soon as that produces a winner, that winner will be the person deemed to be able to command the confidence of the House.

A perfectly circular argument.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,799

Scott_xP said:

BREAKING: Labour leader Keir Starmer threatens to table a confidence motion in Boris Johnson if he "clings on" in No 10 after he has resigned as Tory leader.

If he had done this a couple of days ago, or even a couple of weeks ago it would have meant something. Now it looks pointless politicking.
    Opposite. He was right to leave them to it while it was obvious his leadership was imploding.
    Now it can be sold as "we can't even trust the Tories to apply the coup de grace so we must step up"

I think Starmer's getting it right
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Not so sure.
    May be wise to nail everyone's colours to the mast in time for the next episode. Which there will surely be.
  • Options

UK Education Secretaries, a short history:

Tuesday: Nadhim Zahawi
    Wednesday: Michelle Donelan
    Thursday: James Cleverley

https://twitter.com/DanielHewittITV/status/1544997698755084288

Friday: ????
    Friday's SoS is loving and giving.

Though more likely, bovine and gurning.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Nearly two thirds of voters think a new Conservative leader should call an early election. Just 24% disagree.

88% of Labour voters think there should be an early election compared to 45% of Conservative voters. https://twitter.com/OpiniumResearch/status/1544999508102320130/photo/1

I'm astonished that many Conservatives think that.

It has never been true that changing PMs between elections means you have to hold a new one, and I don't see it is in their interests. The same old things will be said, people will reverse position from when it happened when they were the opposition, but it will pass.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,876
    Nigelb said:

BETTING POST

A Prime Minister who isn’t leader of the Conservative Party.

They could only pay out on an individual who is BOTH Conservative Party Leader AND Prime Minister.
  • Options
    Leon said:

As has been said by others, Wallace will be the favourite... unless and until there is a real competition. And they have to persuade people of their merits

And there SHOULD be a competition. We don't want a coronation. This is the next Prime Minister

Yes. see the principle enunciated above: He has no chance of growing into the role. He is exactly as boring as he looks.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

BETTING POST

Never say no chance.

Either way I'm glad to be cashed out of the market, even more glad to have done so with 420% of my stake!
    One point on betting generally, if a market has to be voided - and this won't be - then you'd end up with £0.00 from it whether or not you're up or down on all runners (Greened up). Happened at the Gorton by-election
  • Options

Truss can't get a flight for another 12 hours reporting ITV.

Since her plane is already there (G-GBNI) it may be that the crew need rest hours after flying there. Good luck getting a commercial flight out of DPS - it’s booked out as demand is currently exceeding supply.
    Ha, so she’s on the government plane but it can’t leave! They’d have single-crewed it, thinking they had rest time. It landed in Bali 6 hours ago.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/GuidoFawkes/status/1545002358622633984

Told Downing Street currently texting MPs who haven’t resigned to stand behind PM outside Number 10 during his statement.

hahahaha good luck with that!!!!
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,144
    Good afternoon everyone. Just back from hospital after a minor procedure on my ankle. Has anything interesting happened this morning; I couldn't get onto the Internet on my phone in the hospital. Or is the world still the same as it ever was!
  • Options

He wasn't a caretaker.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Cookie said:

As a matter of interest, how much do the overnight ministers earn for their 24 hours of office ?
    The number quoted earlier was £35K
    Nice scam.
  • Options
    I enjoy teasing, but though it could have actually damaged the local Tories changes at that election, I like the HYUFD believes in using all his votes even if there are not enough Tories to vote for.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Wallace is serious, competent and hardworking and dull ie the anti Boris, that is what the Tories need now.

The next general election is probably lost anyway but he might save some Tory seats
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,105

Guido Fawkes
    @GuidoFawkes
    Told Downing Street currently texting MPs who haven’t resigned to stand behind PM outside Number 10 during his statement.
  • Options

Dominic Cummings
    @Dominic2306
    ·
    40m

I wonder if he might 'claim' to resign as Tory leader 'in september' rather than resign today.
    That wouldn't start a leadership election until September, AIUI.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,803

Dominic Cummings
    @Dominic2306
    ·
    40m

Could he try and stand in the leadership contest?
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,717
    HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Help us all

Morality is not a left/right thing. Or are you saying that lying through your teeth is acceptable to people from the right. Those on the right here thankfully disagree with you as can be seen by their posts.

I really would like to know does Boris' constant lying not disturb you at all?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

BETTING POST

Never say no chance.

One point on betting generally, if a market has to be voided - and this won't be - then you'd end up with £0.00 from it whether or not you're up or down on all runners (Greened up). Happened at the Gorton by-election
    What happens if you're all greened up, cash out your account, then a while later the market gets voided and as a result you end up in debt to them?
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,048

Good afternoon everyone. Just back from hospital after a minor procedure on my ankle. Has anything interesting happened this morning; I couldn't get onto the Internet on my phone in the hospital. Or is the world still the same as it ever was!

Nothing's changed. Pretty boring day today. Don't bother turning on the TV unless you are interested in 'Homes in the sun'. :)
  • Options
    I have no idea who this person is

.@politicshome exclusive:

NRG leader Jake Berry is seriously mulling a bid to succeed Boris Johnson

He has been urged to do so by Tory MPs in the North and is already working on a "new deal for Britain"

https://www.politicshome.com/news/article/northern-tory-leader-jake-berry-considering-bid-to-succeed-johnson
  • Options

Nigelb said:

BETTING POST

They could only pay out on an individual who is BOTH Conservative Party Leader AND Prime Minister.
    Nonsense. That's simply not how they've defined the rules. If a customer service rep came out with that they'd create a false market mind.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Help us all

Right wing, and EU Sceptic Conservatives wanted him gone.

It's not about policy. It's about his being an amoral, sociopathic snake.
    Even if he was, as El Capitano says he was also a relatively Liberal, One Nation amoral, sociopathic snake apart from Brexit.

Once he goes the Tories will now likely move even further to the tax cutting, small state, anti Woke, anti lockdown right in the next few years while still keeping Johnson's hard Brexit approach
    So what? The red wall do not want tax cutting and a small state. They want levelling up.
    Yes but the Red Wall voted for Boris and to get Brexit done not the Tory Party, now Brexit has got done and Boris is not even Tory leader
    Sorry, but as I have said before, you lose credibility with your statements that are presented as facts. This is complete cobblers, and Mike has presented at least two headers with strong evidence that the strongest motivation for people in those seats at that election was stopping Corbyn. You are like a "speak your weight" machine that keeps repeating political slogans.

As for your other statement that Wallace will win the membership vote, that may be the balance of probability, but it is not fact. Try applying a little nuance, or perhaps start your sentences with IMO. You are not fecking Nostradamus.
    In 2017 the redwall seats voted for Corbyn.

The redwall seats only voted Conservative in 2019 for Boris and to get Brexit done.

Now neither no longer apply they will likely go back to Labour again on the whole
    Oh dear, how many times do I have to explain this to you. You really don't understand nuance. It is like trying to explain something to a flat earther, but I will try, in very simple terms.

In 2017 many people assumed TMay would get a landslide. They could hold there nose and vote Labour. Then Labour got a lot closer to power than anyone thought possible.

By 2019 less politically motivated people realised that Corbyn was a serious threat, both politically and also that he was as thick as a plank. Also a lot of the so-called red wall seats have been trending Tory for quite some time.

The real world is more subtle than simplistic political slogans. A decent Tory leader will most likely hold most of those seats at the next GE. The plebs (as you no doubt see them) do not necessarily need a clownish Etonian to get them to vote Tory
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,711
    BBC
    Boris Johnson set to make statement at 12:30
    Boris Johnson is expected to make a statement outside Downing Street at 12.30 BST confirming his resignation as Conservative leader.
  • Options

Craig David?
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Yes. see the principle enunciated above: He has no chance of growing into the role. He is exactly as boring as he looks.
    He is so obviously IDS 2.0

I can't believe the Tories are so dumb they will nominate him. He will soon have everyone yearning for Boris, which is exactly what they don't want. Plus he nullifies the advantage for them that is the Boringness of Starmer
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,177
    edited July 2022
    Good afternoon. What time did news that he would resign first come through?
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,711
    eek said:

Guido Fawkes
    @GuidoFawkes

That won't take long.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

BETTING POST

That’s a lot of power being invested in the government website admin guy.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193

TOPPING said:

I despise Boris Johnson but I’m going to buy his memoirs because that’s what I do with ex PMs.

I might have to report Leon to the rozzers for larceny. .

I will not be buying them. Not because I think Boris is a tosser, but because I have Mandleson's, Blair's, and Boris's Churchill (a present) on my bookshelves and can't be motivated to pick up any of them to read.

A bit like I dislike biopic films. Who cares what Johnny Cash did or didn't do.
    He shot a man in Reno and watched him die!
    I care!
    Just to watch him die.

That's hardcore.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    eek said:

Guido Fawkes
    @GuidoFawkes

Maybe they will both turn up... :D
  • Options
    Aaron Bell live on Sky
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 7,543
    Filling the cabinet actually works with resignation and a caretaker stepping in. Not realistic for a caretaker to make mass appointments as it sets a direction etc.
    This way, fill roles and everyone tends ship whilst leadership sorted
    If he resigns!
  • Options
    DM_AndyDM_Andy Posts: 470
    darkage said:

Dominic Cummings
    @Dominic2306
    ·
    40m

Even if he could, a candidate needs 18 nominations to stand and Brady might notice that the 18 names are just Dorries and Rees-Mogg nine times each.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

BETTING POST

Not Starmer, then ??
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,717
    MaxPB said:

@MaxPB I missed this earlier. Best wishes and look after yourself.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

No. It gives Tory MPs, should they wish, the chance to remove him as PM today or tomorrow rather than in September, by which time he will have engineered some way of clinging on longer. This guy would escalate the war with Putin if he thought he could buy another six months because there is a crisis.

See Cummings tweet.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193

eek said:

Guido Fawkes
    @GuidoFawkes

Maybe they will both turn up... :D
    Liz Truss has a note from her mum air traffic control....
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Sandpit said:

eek said:

Alistair said:
    90% of them will vote for it.
    You’re saying that 90% of Conservative MPs, would vote for a Labour motion of no confidence in the government?
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,447
    edited July 2022

He wasn't a caretaker.
    There is no such thing as a caretaker Prime Minister.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

He has been urged to do so by Tory MPs in the North and is already working on a "new deal for Britain"

https://www.politicshome.com/news/article/northern-tory-leader-jake-berry-considering-bid-to-succeed-johnson

It would be rather exciting if a complete unknown came through the pack and won. Let's do it. Have a proper race like the Grand National. They should literally make them run an assault course. Sunak will win in the crawl-under-the-netting thing, he'll just stroll under
  • Options
    darkage said:

Dominic Cummings
    @Dominic2306
    ·
    40m

No. It's explicitly excluded by Schedule 2 of the party constitution.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Proving only that you do not read the shit you link to, and apparently are barred from google
  • Options

He wasn't a caretaker.
    There is only no such thing, until such a thing is done.

Unwritten constitution. If they say we have a caretaker Prime Minister, then we have one.
  • Options
    Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

I can't believe the Tories are so dumb they will nominate him. He will soon have everyone yearning for Boris, which is exactly what they don't want. Plus he nullifies the advantage for them that is the Boringness of Starmer
    Simplistic poppycock. You are just unhappy because you are a closet Bozo apologist. You like having a clown for a leader. The country would like someone who has cred at home and abroad. Wallace has this. Johnson never did. he was a joke. Any genuine patriot would see that.
  • Options
    Leon said:

The Tory Party desperately needs a contest. The Red Wall stuff is only one issue they need to resolve.
  • Options

Craig David?
    He's busy. Maybe he could do it on Sunday, where he's currently scheduled only for chilling.
  • Options

He wasn't a caretaker.
    That's precisely my point. There is no precedent for what you are suggesting "always" used to happen.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,033
    Incidentally, the 1922 Committee should've altered the rules already so they could have a snap vote held if the fool tries to wriggle out of resignation and cling on for months hoping to renege (yet again) upon a promise.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,336
    edited July 2022
    Germany’s largest real estate group Vonovia wants to lower the heating temperature of the gas central heating at night to reduce gas consumption. The company announced on Thursday that the power would be reduced to a room temperature of 17 degrees between 11 p.m. and 6 a.m. the heating temperature should be changed as part of the routine maintenance of the heating systems before the start of the heating season.

Bumper jumper sales in Germany this autumn.
  • Options
    T May hugely enjoying tearing apart Boris in this speech.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

It would be rather exciting if a complete unknown came through the pack and won. Let's do it. Have a proper race like the Grand National. They should literally make them run an assault course. Sunak will win in the crawl-under-the-netting thing, he'll just stroll under
    We could restart the Krypton Factor and do that properly.
  • Options

He wasn't a caretaker.
    Do they have to wear a brown lab coat?
  • Options
    darkage said:

Dominic Cummings
    @Dominic2306
    ·
    40m

Interesting point.
    He hasn't lost a Party VONC after all. Once he resigns the leadership he's eligible AFAICS.
  • Options
    That's not the one final hurrah I would've thought of? https://twitter.com/MahyarTousi/status/1544988375475781633
  • Options
    For any Americans new to this, yes it’s a centuries-old parliamentary custom to have the Benny Hill theme playing at all times during political interviews

https://twitter.com/jamestitcomb/status/1544992091838758913
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,523
    Scott_xP said:

Nearly two thirds of voters think a new Conservative leader should call an early election. Just 24% disagree.

88% of Labour voters think there should be an early election compared to 45% of Conservative voters. https://twitter.com/OpiniumResearch/status/1544999508102320130/photo/1

And yet its never been the protocol. And a reminder that just as Johnson does not have a personal mandate from 2019, so a new PM does not require a personal mandate to govern. Those calling for it now did not do so when Blair was replaced by Brown.
  • Options
    10min warning for BoJo
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

darkage said:

Dominic Cummings
    @Dominic2306
    ·
    40m

Interesting point.
    He hasn't lost a Party VONC after all. Once he resigns the leadership he's eligible AFAICS.
    CBA to verify but Major did that and I thought they changed the rules so its now not possible
  • Options

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Simplistic poppycock. You are just unhappy because you are a closet Bozo apologist. You like having a clown for a leader. The country would like someone who has cred at home and abroad. Wallace has this. Johnson never did. he was a joke. Any genuine patriot would see that.
    lol

Ben Wallace has cred abroad? I doubt there are three people beyond the UK who know who he is. In fact I doubt there are three people IN the UK who know who he is, probably his wife sometimes forgets his name

• Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 7,543
    dixiedean said:

darkage said:

Dominic Cummings
    @Dominic2306
    ·
    40m

Interesting point.
    Tbf hes not making the final 2 anyway!
  • Options
    DM_AndyDM_Andy Posts: 470
    Scott_xP said:

That's not the one final hurrah I would've thought of? https://twitter.com/MahyarTousi/status/1544988375475781633

Thanks for the laugh though I now have to get that mental image out of my head asap.
  • Options
    edited July 2022

For any Americans new to this, yes it’s a centuries-old parliamentary custom to have the Benny Hill theme playing at all times during political interviews

https://twitter.com/jamestitcomb/status/1544992091838758913

That’s funny. It’s also a really, really difficult tune to play on the sax.

At least it’s better than that tw@ shouting “Stop Brexit”
  • Options

MikeL said:

Not sure if already posted but per Times Radio:

YouGov has polled Con members and done several head to heads - and Wallace wins a head to head against all other leading candidates.

Has he said yet whether he wants it?
    R4 this morning friend was quoted as saying he’s mainly interested in his current job and after that NATO Secretary General. He may well be a solid Defence Secretary but not a great PM.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,144

Nothing's changed. Pretty boring day today. Don't bother turning on the TV unless you are interested in 'Homes in the sun'. :)
    Thought not, from the lack of interest on PB!
    Seriously I'm delighted to see the end of Johnson; I think he's been the worst PM's I've known, in 70 years of Parliament watching.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,587
    eek said:

Guido Fawkes
    @GuidoFawkes

One photo you don't want to be in. The only people buying a copy will be the opposition PPCs in your seat
This discussion has been closed.