Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A day long remembered – politicalbetting.com

14567810»

Comments

• Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,281
    HYUFD said:

Good, measured resignation speech by Boris

Was great to see you in Downing Street along with the only remaining people loyal to the liar.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,093
    Phrases not included in the PM’s speech: “I resign”.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,317
    edited July 2022
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    My wife's verdict: "we should get more popcorn".
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,097
    Andy_JS said:

The Conservatives' chances of winning the next election must have increased greatly today.

I doubt it, though might save a few seats.

Most probably unfortunately we are heading for up to a decade in opposition
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,997
    edited July 2022
    Mr. Dyed, neither of those things were true.

It was self-pitying waffle devoid even of joie de vivre.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    tlg86 said:

2019 leadership contest:

7 June to 23 July

So it can be done quite quickly.

But only when all but one of the contenders collapse.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,717
    Quite a good resignation speech; no Trumpian tendencies, no constitutional crisis. But Boris has always been fine with speeches, a few good turns of phrase, a dose of boosterism.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,009

New Thread

• Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,093
    Senior government source messages: "That speech was a fucking disgrace."
    https://twitter.com/hoffman_noa/status/1545009832205467651
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,324
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Mate, we get it. He took you for a fool, used you, and then threw you out. It can't be easy for you but know that your PB family is here for you.
    Once we've all told you what an idiot you have been, we'll put the kettle on...
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    What a rubbish self- absorbed speech
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,271
    I hope whoever comes in proceeds with the removal of the TV License fee and privatising Channel 4
  • Options
    DM_AndyDM_Andy Posts: 333
    In exactly what sense is the UK "leading the West against Putin"?
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,271
    Peston on ITV News seems elated
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,042
    OllyT said:

Pulpstar said:

Boris' book will sell more than 5,000 copies. He's got a huge army of sycophants out there still.

How many of them buy and read political biographies?
    Way more than 5,000. And - for the record - the books don't need to be read, only bought.

@Heathener might as well send the £20 to @Leon now.

(Also, without a time horizon, the bet is ridiculous. Eventually 5,000 sales will be reached.)
  • Options
    I would like to discuss now, the outcomes of the next election, not as a Labour fanboy but as somebody interested in betting.

I note the YouGov polling this morning which says all leadership candidates bar Wallace, have the public scoring as doing worse than good. A heavy caveat is that many are unknown.

I would support Wallace as PM, he seems a decent guy and has done well in Ukraine. I could not vote for this iteration of the Tory Party whilst people like Nadine are still around but I would have hope for its future with him at the helm. He scores well with the leadership, he surely must be a good contender.

Other than that Penny Morduant, who I confess I know little about, would also seem to be popular with the Tory Party. Perhaps others can speak more.

The next election then, will not be about personalities but instead possibly about policies. The difficulty for any Tory now is that without Johnson they will probably lose a large number of voters anyway who only voted for Johnson (albeit they dwindled). This new PM will have 13 years of Government to defend, a CoL crisis and rising bills and a possibly incoming recession.

I think my central estimate of a Hung Parliament remains fair - but a Labour majority and indeed Tory majority, is also not out of the question. I do not think we will see a large majority on either side.

It will be a repeat of 2015, or 2010, I think.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,540

NEW THREAD

• Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,385
    I think there's a good chance he can stay on until the leadership election is concluded now. That was a fairly straight resignation speech, and he has a Cabinet back in place now.

Attention will turn to the contest to replace him, and that will take the heat out of the demands that he should immediately step aside. I don't think any of the leadership contenders will want to see an interim PM, and nor will they all give up their chance of the top job to produce a coronation.

Can't say I'm happy about this, but seems to be where it's going.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,792
    HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

The Conservatives' chances of winning the next election must have increased greatly today.

I doubt it, though might save a few seats.

Most probably unfortunately we are heading for up to a decade in opposition
    Labour aren't going to win a majority, that's pretty certain.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,136
    edited July 2022
    CARRY ON BORIS

Starring:
    Hattie Jacques (in reverse drag) as Boris Johnson
    Sid James as Sir Keir Starmer
    Kenneth Williams as Jacob Rees-Mogg
    Barbara Windsor as Nadine Dorries
    Bernard Bresslaw as Dominic Raab

and anyone else anyone can be bothered to think of
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,097

Leon said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

As has been said by others, Wallace will be the favourite... unless and until there is a real competition. And they have to persuade people of their merits

And there SHOULD be a competition. We don't want a coronation. This is the next Prime Minister

Wallace is lacklustre, he will struggle in a debate.

Yes. see the principle enunciated above: He has no chance of growing into the role. He is exactly as boring as he looks.
    He is so obviously IDS 2.0

I can't believe the Tories are so dumb they will nominate him. He will soon have everyone yearning for Boris, which is exactly what they don't want. Plus he nullifies the advantage for them that is the Boringness of Starmer
    Simplistic poppycock. You are just unhappy because you are a closet Bozo apologist. You like having a clown for a leader. The country would like someone who has cred at home and abroad. Wallace has this. Johnson never did. he was a joke. Any genuine patriot would see that.
    lol

Ben Wallace has cred abroad? I doubt there are three people beyond the UK who know who he is. In fact I doubt there are three people IN the UK who know who he is, probably his wife sometimes forgets his name

Wallace hasn't a prayer. Truss is the only game in town.
    Conhome next Tory leader playoff

Wallace 51% Truss 33%

https://conservativehome.com/2022/07/04/next-tory-leader-play-offs-third-liz-truss/

Truss has more chance than Hunt or Sunak but Wallace still likely beats her
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,324
    Tory MPs already calling for immediate stand down
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,717
    Nigelb said:

He stays until a new leader

Don't know whether it will matter, but I'm fairly certain there's a majority in Parliament who are unhappy with that.
    Lots of Tory MPs have been saying it's not acceptable.
    What usually happens is that the old PM stays on until the new leader is chosen. I think, therefore, that that remains the most likely thing to happen again. Anger among Tory MPs will probably reside as they focus on the leadership election. I’d be happy to see him out today, but I think it unlikely.

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,042
    Cookie said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

BETTING POST

Bet yesterday on Dominic Raab on Smarkets as next PM thinking he might be interim PM. Smarkets have made clear on their rules though that interim PM would not count (despite the claim no such thing exists).

However Raab has come in to 6.6-6.8 so I've laid off my stake and made a 420% return on my stake in 24 hours. Not bad. However if that is because others are thinking Raab will be interim, or because they're matching Betfair (where the rules indicate interim may pay out unlike Smarkets) then this could be a very good lay.

I don't see why Raab would be layable at 6.8 otherwise. Cashing out or laying Raab on Smarkets could be good value. Laying him on Smarkets and backing him on Betfair might even be potentially profitable.

How do they define 'interim PM' ?
    The Smarkets rules include the following:

This market, where possible, will be settled according to the UK government website (https://www.gov.uk/government/ministers/prime-minister).

Clarification 1 Feb 2022 11:00 The question of whether an individual would count as an interim or caretaker will, if possible, be resolved by the official government page linked to above e.g. if somebody takes over the responsibilities of a PM who has resigned and left the government, that person will count as the next PM if they are listed as such unless the listing describes them as temporary, interim or similar.

That's unambiguous, I think. There is absolutely no chance at all of the official government page describing the replacement as temporary or interim.
    That’s a lot of power being invested in the government website admin guy.
    Actually, does anyone know who is the CISO of the relevant department? That’s really worth flagging to them, that potentially millions of pounds of bets hang on what they might publish.
    Off topic, but @Sandpit, given our conversation last week, you may be interested to know that a colleague of mine is moving to Dubai - when I asked him what the main push/pull factors were, the number one thing in his list was schools.
    I have friends in Dubai with kids our age (12 and 14). They said schooling (while expensive) was good when the kids were young, but is not great at the secondary level - lots of teacher and student turnover at most places.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,901

Timetable announced next week, wants to be leader until election completed.

Both too slow by far.

If the conservatives mps have any sense they will arrange a coronation and new PM in two weeks
    Too many people want it. They'd need to agree a caretaker like May, to formally be leader unopposed, and hope she keeps word to stand down for a replacement.
  • Options
    Penddu2Penddu2 Posts: 595
    DM_Andy said:

Scott_xP said:

Exclusive

Being told that Robert Buckland, the former justice secretary who was sacked by Boris Johnson, is making a comeback as Welsh Secretary

He's the Tory MP for Swindon South

https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1544992940535078913

To be fair, there's not a lot of depth for Welsh Tory MPs. Stephen Crabb, David Jones and Alun Cairns have all already done the job, Simon Hart just stepped down, David Davies tweeted that he wouldn't take the job if offered and all the other Welsh Tories are 2019 intake. Swindon's at least in the same ITV region.
    Swindon is in ITV Wales ???
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,194
    NEW THREAD
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,892
    HYUFD said:

LOL!!!
This discussion has been closed.