Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A day long remembered – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

If members think Liz Truss is the answer.. god
    Help us all

I will laugh hysterically if having pushed so hard to get rid of Boris left liberal PBers now end up with Steve Baker, Priti Patel, Liz Truss or Suella Braverman as PM once it gets to the Tory membership.

Boris might end up the moderate PM of this Tory government!!
    This is pathetic, even for your good self.

Tory MPs have forced him out. Nobody else. Not me or @CorrectHorseBattery and @Scott_xP . Your MPs in your party and nobody else.

And why have Tory MPs forced him out. Because what Boris Johnson has done is fundamentally wrong. *Morally* wrong. Procedurally wrong.

That you - even now - deny this wrongdoing speaks volumes about your lack of understanding of basic principles like right and wrong. I think you described comments like this as "abuse" yesterday. Not abuse - sorrow. As like any Christian -as opposed to the faux hypocrite ones - I will rejoice when you finally repent and recognise reality.
    HYUFD doesn't understand the concept of morality. Time and time again any question of right and wrong bounces off him and he reflects it because with talking about what's legal or possible. He doesn't understand ethics, he only knows about the exercise of force.
    This website is not politicalmorality.com.
    No, but the conversations we have touch those areas, and many others. Book sales, cold fusion, passport queues, pizza toppings. It's notable when someone involves themselves repeatedly in conversations when they clearly do not have the intellectual or emotional capacity to sustain a coherent position.

HYUFD doesn't understand the things people say to him about right and wrong, so he changes the conversation to can and can't. A lot of people have noticed there's something... missing... with him, and I think that's what it is.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,325
    Alistair said:

Alistair said:

TOPPING said:

Alistair said:

The clear headed correct move right now is for Boris to (checks book) hand over to Raab as interim Prime Minister.

I'm all over that but haven't checked the small print. Is interim leader leader as far as bf is concerned?
    We will settle this market on the Prime Minister after Boris Johnson as published on https://www.gov.uk/government/ministers/prime-minister
    In the event of any ambiguity over an announcement, Betfair may determine, using its reasonable discretion, how to settle the market based on all the information available to it at the relevant time. Betfair reserves the right to wait for further official announcements before the market is settled. If there is any change to the established ministerial role or any ambiguity as to who occupies the position, then Betfair reserves the right to void this market at its absolute discretion.

I expect Betfair will claim that interim is ambiguous and won't pay out on interim.

Anyone expecting Betfair to religiously stick to what the rules say without any controversy has already forgotten the 2020 election market.
    They added "We will settle this market on the Prime Minister after Boris Johnson as published on" after being asked about interim PM. And being reminded about what happened with the Theresa May market.
    Anybody mention the US Presidential Market?

They are truly hopeless.
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,452
    MaxPB said:

Thanks for the kind words on the previous topic everyone!

In the end it turns out I have a minor heart condition which causes an irregular heartbeat so from today no more caffeine, no more HIIT and I need to figure out a better diet. Glad to have had the wake-up call before anything more serious happened.

I remember Marr partly blaming HIIT for his stroke.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,803

A relevant fact is surely that Theresa May earns a £ 110,000 a speech in the US conference circuit. She is basically the dullest & least interesting speaker in the world with a tale of boring underachievement to tell.

So, @Leon is completely correct. There will be tonnes of money for Boris. Memoirs, the talk circuit, books.

Of course, the books will be a pack of lies. No-one wants the truth. People want an unreliable, amusing tale told them. Boris has been delivering that all his life.

Suppose you have to sit through a speech by one of our ex-PMs -- Major, Blair, Brown, Cameron, May or Johnson.

Which one do you choose?

All the speeches will be highly self-serving -- and at least four of them will be very dull.

Blair's would not be, Johnson's would not be.

I still think Johnson will fundraise for a Presidential run in the US, netting not hundreds of K but tens of millions or more. Yes he is not eligible, but that can only ever be tested if he actually won (by which case it is too late), and since when did facts matter to either Johnson or US politics? Money talks, and stories work, Johnson is a great story teller who loves his $$$$.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

In the end it turns out I have a minor heart condition which causes an irregular heartbeat so from today no more caffeine, no more HIIT and I need to figure out a better diet. Glad to have had the wake-up call before anything more serious happened.

Good news. That happened to a friend of mine and it turned out to be a mere panic attack. Properly scary tho

What's wrong with HIIT? And what's wrong with your diet?
    I can't overwork my heart with HIIT, needs to be more gradual but lengthy exercise from now on.

Just got to cut out coffee and reduce added sugar more than anything else but there's always room for improvement.
    Irrelevant in your case obv but mdma is a real heart killer
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,389

I despise Boris Johnson but I’m going to buy his memoirs because that’s what I do with ex PMs.

I might have to report Leon to the rozzers for larceny. .

I will not be buying them. Not because I think Boris is a tosser, but because I have Mandleson's, Blair's, and Boris's Churchill (a present) on my bookshelves and can't be motivated to pick up any of them to read.

A bit like I dislike biopic films. Who cares what Johnny Cash did or didn't do.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,711
    Scott_xP said:

Downing Street sources suggest Boris Johnson is currently tweaking his resignation statement. Some concern he may not actually read out what was prepared.
    https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1544993604325761025

Here we, here we, here we fucking go......

Oh god.... whats going to go down...
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,875

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

biggles said:

Heathener said:

kle4 said:

The delay is unacceptable.

He's untrustworthy and will seek to remain, buggering up the country to try and buy himself a favourable legacy in the meantime.

Get rid of him, PCP, or be shown to be utter fools once again.

On Leon's point about history being kinder to him than PB, that is possible, in relation to some big policy matters (others will disagree), but his personal standards will not be treated kindly, and in any case in the moment of being forced out few will be thinking about reflecting on positives
    First up, no one these days reads political memoirs. Nor do they any longer have an interest in reading books by sad old white male sexual predators. Appetites have changed. He may get a decent advance but the publishers won't earn out the advance in sales.

Second, history will not be kinder to him on the bigger issues. Leon says this because of his obsession with Brexit, after a Damascene conversion on the way to the ballot box and with all the tedious zealotry that brings. For most of the rest of us it's obvious Brexit is a massive cock-up that is going to take years to sort out properly. The NI protocol is one example of Boris bodging Brexit in a disastrous fashion. He never thought it through properly because he didn't care about it. He was never a Brexiteer. He chose Brexit to become King of the World. Nothing more.

Other big issues? The initial vaccine rollout was a success but on most other counts our handling of covid has been another cock-up, from the ridiculously lax opening (Cheltenham and Bath Half ffs) to the over-reaction the other way with ludicrously over-tight lockdowns and pernicious policing. That Big Brother state then extended into horrendous legislature further restricting our freedoms. Except for himself, obvs.

He is a shit. The vilest prime minister of any of our lifetimes. He deserves a category of worst prime ministers all to himself. The others, however poor, don't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as this wicked clown.

He dragged down his party. He dragged downthis country.
    His memoirs will sell heavily internationally, Brexit is now bedded in as a fact of life, and whether you agree or not the public think the vaccine rollout out went very well. The short hand history of Boris will read “did what he said he’d do on Brexit, and managed Covid well, but was undone by his personal weaknesses”..

Any memoirs may get large advances from the publishers, but will be in the remainder boxes within months. No one wants to read over Covid either, except a few public health people trying to formulate lessons, and they will want facts not Johnsonion bluster.
    Yep good point - no one bar a very few, Chris Whitty perhaps, will want to read 400 pages about lockdowns.
    But it's not gonna be 400 pages is it? Half the book will be Brexit

Covid will get 50 pages? Lockdowns 30? And many people will want to read it, because they want to know who made these brutal decisions, and why

Boris has a gift for self publicity. He will make sure there are juicy revelations throughout the book
    Boris believes he saved the world or at least Great Britain (ex-NI) with his actions throughout Covid; it will be more than 50 pages or how will he tell people how masterful his actions were.

All I can see being a revelation is how he fought tooth and nail against Whitty, Van Tam, et al against the regulations. Which would make the book even more depressing in that he didn't succeed, largely.
    Classified as Fiction hopefully
    He will probably play into it and start writing novels about Jonas Bronson and his slimy ministers Michael Love, Nadia Delores and Jakob Rhys Evans.

I've got to say I'm still laughing at whoever said yesterday that Rees Mogg was the lamppost in Narnia.
    And the comment re the dogs!
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Help us all

I will laugh hysterically if having pushed so hard to get rid of Boris left liberal PBers now end up with Steve Baker, Priti Patel, Liz Truss or Suella Braverman as PM once it gets to the Tory membership.

Tory MPs have forced him out. Nobody else. Not me or @CorrectHorseBattery and @Scott_xP . Your MPs in your party and nobody else.

And why have Tory MPs forced him out. Because what Boris Johnson has done is fundamentally wrong. *Morally* wrong. Procedurally wrong.

That you - even now - deny this wrongdoing speaks volumes about your lack of understanding of basic principles like right and wrong. I think you described comments like this as "abuse" yesterday. Not abuse - sorrow. As like any Christian -as opposed to the faux hypocrite ones - I will rejoice when you finally repent and recognise reality.
    HYUFD doesn't understand the concept of morality. Time and time again any question of right and wrong bounces off him and he reflects it because with talking about what's legal or possible. He doesn't understand ethics, he only knows about the exercise of force.
    No, but the conversations we have touch those areas, and many others. Book sales, cold fusion, passport queues, pizza toppings. It's notable when someone involves themselves repeatedly in conversations when they clearly do not have the intellectual or emotional capacity to sustain a coherent position.

HYUFD doesn't understand the things people say to him about right and wrong, so he changes the conversation to can and can't. A lot of people have noticed there's something... missing... with him, and I think that's what it is.
    It's probably not a great idea to try to diagnose the personality of someone you've never met, especially when your main evidence is that they don't post off-topic.
  • Options

Leon said:

I have spent the last day off this website, outside and regrouping. So many kind people have said they would like me to stay, so I will - but I will try my very best to reduce my posting activity as it is best for my mental health at this time.

Thank you for your support.

Honestly absolutely delighted. The third good news I have heard today after Johnson's resignation and my daughter getting a 1st in her degree.
    Well done to your daughter! That fantastic
    Cheers Leon.
    Congrats.

Congrats to your daughter Richard, that's great :)
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,389
    HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Help us all

My morality and ethics are not your left liberal morality and ethics and never will be
    Is it particularly right wing to be a lying scumbag?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,867

Scott_xP said:

Downing Street sources suggest Boris Johnson is currently tweaking his resignation statement. Some concern he may not actually read out what was prepared.

He will call on his supporters to march on Parliament.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,790
    Scott_xP said:

Exclusive

Being told that Robert Buckland, the former justice secretary who was sacked by Boris Johnson, is making a comeback as Welsh Secretary

He's the Tory MP for Swindon South

https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1544992940535078913

I wonder if he might make JRM Scotland minister?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Help us all

My morality and ethics are not your left liberal morality and ethics and never will be
    His morality and ethics is that Francisco Franco was a liberal left softy.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,711
    Whisper it quietly

Starmer's path to No10 just got harder today...
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,997
    What time is the lying shyster due to speak?
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,408

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Help us all

Indeed. I don't believe you have any morality or ethics. You have always deflected away from everything BlowJo has done and insisted its all about opinion polls. No right. No wrong. No morals. Just a naked desire for power at any price.

That's your "morality and ethics" is it?
    Quite unpleasant and uncalled for
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,958

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

TOPPING said:

Alistair said:

The clear headed correct move right now is for Boris to (checks book) hand over to Raab as interim Prime Minister.

I'm all over that but haven't checked the small print. Is interim leader leader as far as bf is concerned?
    We will settle this market on the Prime Minister after Boris Johnson as published on https://www.gov.uk/government/ministers/prime-minister
    In the event of any ambiguity over an announcement, Betfair may determine, using its reasonable discretion, how to settle the market based on all the information available to it at the relevant time. Betfair reserves the right to wait for further official announcements before the market is settled. If there is any change to the established ministerial role or any ambiguity as to who occupies the position, then Betfair reserves the right to void this market at its absolute discretion.

I expect Betfair will claim that interim is ambiguous and won't pay out on interim.

Anyone expecting Betfair to religiously stick to what the rules say without any controversy has already forgotten the 2020 election market.
    They added "We will settle this market on the Prime Minister after Boris Johnson as published on" after being asked about interim PM. And being reminded about what happened with the Theresa May market.
    Anybody mention the US Presidential Market?

They are truly hopeless.
    The problem is someone will start a chat with a customer rep there, who will be utterly clueless about the market and their statements will create a false market.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,281
    Scott_xP said:

Understand there is currently a stand-off between PM and his staff over the contents of his resignation statement, which he's due to deliver to the nation at 1pm.
    https://twitter.com/KevinASchofield/status/1544993245595328513

I'm supposed to be in a meeting at 1pm. Delay! Delay!
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,133

Scott_xP said:

If he has the horned fur shaman hat on - be worried.....
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,382
    Carnyx said:

The interesting thing will be to see if Sunak stands and if h

Leon said:

Foxy said:

biggles said:

Heathener said:

kle4 said:

The delay is unacceptable.

He's untrustworthy and will seek to remain, buggering up the country to try and buy himself a favourable legacy in the meantime.

Get rid of him, PCP, or be shown to be utter fools once again.

On Leon's point about history being kinder to him than PB, that is possible, in relation to some big policy matters (others will disagree), but his personal standards will not be treated kindly, and in any case in the moment of being forced out few will be thinking about reflecting on positives
    First up, no one these days reads political memoirs. Nor do they any longer have an interest in reading books by sad old white male sexual predators. Appetites have changed. He may get a decent advance but the publishers won't earn out the advance in sales.

Second, history will not be kinder to him on the bigger issues. Leon says this because of his obsession with Brexit, after a Damascene conversion on the way to the ballot box and with all the tedious zealotry that brings. For most of the rest of us it's obvious Brexit is a massive cock-up that is going to take years to sort out properly. The NI protocol is one example of Boris bodging Brexit in a disastrous fashion. He never thought it through properly because he didn't care about it. He was never a Brexiteer. He chose Brexit to become King of the World. Nothing more.

Other big issues? The initial vaccine rollout was a success but on most other counts our handling of covid has been another cock-up, from the ridiculously lax opening (Cheltenham and Bath Half ffs) to the over-reaction the other way with ludicrously over-tight lockdowns and pernicious policing. That Big Brother state then extended into horrendous legislature further restricting our freedoms. Except for himself, obvs.

He is a shit. The vilest prime minister of any of our lifetimes. He deserves a category of worst prime ministers all to himself. The others, however poor, don't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as this wicked clown.

He dragged down his party. He dragged downthis country.
    His memoirs will sell heavily internationally, Brexit is now bedded in as a fact of life, and whether you agree or not the public think the vaccine rollout out went very well. The short hand history of Boris will read “did what he said he’d do on Brexit, and managed Covid well, but was undone by his personal weaknesses”..

Any memoirs may get large advances from the publishers, but will be in the remainder boxes within months. No one wants to read over Covid either, except a few public health people trying to formulate lessons, and they will want facts not Johnsonion bluster.
    You're wrong. I rarely read memoirs but I will certainly read Boris' - not because of the man but because of everything he witnessed, and often personally decided. He's not James Joyce, but he can write well, which is a significant advantage

eg Covid. I really do want to know who decided what and when. I want the gory details. We were locked down for months. Who was pro, who was anti. And what was it like for him nearly dying? That's a chapter right there

The more I think about it, the more I am convinced it will sell very nicely. It is an incredible story. Those who hate Boris will never buy it. They will secretly steal it from friends and guiltily read it at 2am, while scowling with anger
    Oh Boris has precisely zero to worry about in his post premiership. The public speech circuit in the states beckons, the book will sell, in time he might even pop up and do a couple of TV shows again. He’ll go back to his buffoonery and weird private life, and in time I hate to say this to PB but the public (or at least those of a centre right persuasion) will forgive him everything: because he is Boris, and he tried, and he got Brexit done, and he is our loveable buffoon even if he did make a bit of a hash of some things. Just my thoughts.
    I'm struggling to think of who would want to hire Boris as a speaker. Surely the type of people who attend such events would regard it as a kind of veiled insult.
    Dunno. I can imagine lots of people loving the opportunity to heckle Johnson, and there will always be a few enraptured true believers.
    Have you read the famous account by someone who was at the same function as Johnson, about his degree of preparation and the content of his talk? (Sorry, don't have the link ...).
    Do you mean the Jeremy Vine story about him running the same panto routine of affecting to make up a speech on the spot and forgetting the name of the organisation he was giving a speech for, at two different events?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Help us all

Indeed. I don't believe you have any morality or ethics. You have always deflected away from everything BlowJo has done and insisted its all about opinion polls. No right. No wrong. No morals. Just a naked desire for power at any price.

I can sort of understand "a naked desire for power at any price" on a do the means justify the ends basis.

What is confusing is that the naked desire for power at any price is not for power to deliver specific really important policies, but instead whatever variable the current incarnation of the Tory party is in favour of, even when HYUFD does not think it is a good idea himself.

Why use extreme means for something just because of the colour of a rosette?
  • Options
    DM_AndyDM_Andy Posts: 333
    Scott_xP said:

Exclusive

Being told that Robert Buckland, the former justice secretary who was sacked by Boris Johnson, is making a comeback as Welsh Secretary

To be fair, there's not a lot of depth for Welsh Tory MPs. Stephen Crabb, David Jones and Alun Cairns have all already done the job, Simon Hart just stepped down, David Davies tweeted that he wouldn't take the job if offered and all the other Welsh Tories are 2019 intake. Swindon's at least in the same ITV region.
  • Options

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Help us all

It's probably not a great idea to try to diagnose the personality of someone you've never met, especially when your main evidence is that they don't post off-topic.
    I think it's an excellent idea to let everybody else know that with some people on some topics, trying to have a normal conversation is futile. It'll save a lot of grief in the long run.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,758
    MaxPB said:

A-fib ?

I think it caused my father in law's stroke, and my brother in laws had cardiac ablation to treat it.
    https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/atrial-fibrillation-ablation/about/pac-20384969
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,086
    🚨NEW POLLING WITH @GMB 🚨

Boris Johnson is now less popular than Jeremy Corbyn.

Boris Johnson:
    Favourable 22%
    Unfavourable 62%
    NET SCORE -40

Jeremy Corbyn:
    Favourable 21%
    Unfavourable 56%
    NET SCORE -35

Keir Starmer:
    Favourable 34%
    Unfavourable 35%
    NET SCORE -1 https://twitter.com/OpiniumResearch/status/1544995322530783232/photo/1
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,097
    Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Help us all

Right wing, and EU Sceptic Conservatives wanted him gone.

It's not about policy. It's about his being an amoral, sociopathic snake.
    Even if he was, as El Capitano says he was also a relatively Liberal, One Nation amoral, sociopathic snake apart from Brexit.

Once he goes the Tories will now likely move even further to the tax cutting, small state, anti Woke, anti lockdown right in the next few years while still keeping Johnson's hard Brexit approach
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,867

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Help us all

It often strikes me that HYUFD's overriding belief is in the basic principle that 'Might is Right'. It is certainly a thread that seems to run through many of his comments and arguments.
    My view is that he thinks the job of the Conservatives is to govern in the interest of 30% or so of the population, and the rest can go hang.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,009
    Alistair said:
    Starmer threatens VONC if Johnson does not resign as PM ✊🏼✊🏼✊🏼
  • Options

Lindsay Hoyle (Speaker) annoyed that Boris's statement will apparently be to television cameras rather than the House.

On this Hoyle is out of order
    No he isn't. Johnson Addressing The Nation plays in to his presidential, mandate from 14 m voters nonsense. His mandate comes (came) from his majority in the HoC and nothing else

If he tries to hang on till Sept I think he is in real danger of VONC both from the new 22 exec, and from SKS in the HoC. It's not like either body has to worry about a defeat shoring up his credibility any more.

Gibbon on the demise of one of the Gordians

“When the army had elected Philip, who was Prætorian præfect to the third Gordian, the latter demanded that he might remain sole emperor; he was unable to obtain it. He requested that the power might be equally divided between them; the army would not listen to his speech. He consented to be degraded to the rank of Cæsar; the favor was refused him. He desired, at least, he might be appointed Prætorian præfect; his prayer was rejected. Finally, he pleaded for his life. The army, in these several judgments, exercised the supreme magistracy.”

According to the historian, whose doubtful narrative the President De Montesquieu has adopted, Philip, who, during the whole transaction, had preserved a sullen silence, was inclined to spare the innocent life of his benefactor; till, recollecting that his innocence might excite a dangerous compassion in the Roman world, he commanded, without regard to his suppliant cries, that he should be seized, stripped, and led away to instant death. After a moment’s pause, the inhuman sentence was executed.
  • Options
    Raab and Sunak around 5.6, Wallace still 4.2.

Is Wallace contingent on a coronation?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,321
    edited July 2022
    He's actually announcing appointments

Even more remarkable, there are still some idiot enough to accept
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Help us all

"left liberal" :trollface:
  • Options
    BREAKING: Labour leader Keir Starmer threatens to table a confidence motion in Boris Johnson if he "clings on" in No 10 after he has resigned as Tory leader.
    https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1544995876988411905
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,009
    edited July 2022
    Sean_F said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Help us all

It often strikes me that HYUFD's overriding belief is in the basic principle that 'Might is Right'. It is certainly a thread that seems to run through many of his comments and arguments.
    My view is that he thinks the job of the Conservatives is to govern in the interest of 30% or so of the population, and the rest can go hang.
    30% ? In HYUFD's eyes the purpose of a Conservative Government is to act as a Mafiosi enriching him and fellow members to the detriment of everyone else.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,875
    DM_Andy said:

Scott_xP said:

Exclusive

To be fair, there's not a lot of depth for Welsh Tory MPs. Stephen Crabb, David Jones and Alun Cairns have all already done the job, Simon Hart just stepped down, David Davies tweeted that he wouldn't take the job if offered and all the other Welsh Tories are 2019 intake. Swindon's at least in the same ITV region.
    ITV region? Didn't know that. I was thinking more it was to do with all that fuss about the incomplete rail electrification leading to a vague notion in the Conservative mastermind that Swindon had something to do with Wales.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,474

Oops. Has Boris told another fib? Differences between the Minister and the Liaison Committee as to whether Boris reported his meeting with Lebedev.

Labour hammering Lebedev now.
  • Options
    Useless hacks STILL screwing up this story.

He met Lebedev Friday 20 March 2020, REPEAT 2020!, on about the peak covid first wave chaos day as we prepared lockdown, as PM without officials!!

Snuck off without telling us!

What's wrong with you hacks get the story right FFS!
    https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1544993343394009090
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,347

Whisper it quietly

We just need a FPN to make the week complete
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,082
    HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Help us all

Even if he was, as El Capitano says he was also a relatively Liberal, One Nation amoral, sociopathic snake apart from Brexit.

Once he goes the Tories will now likely move even further to the tax cutting, small state, anti Woke, anti lockdown right in the next few years while still keeping Johnson's hard Brexit approach
    So what? The red wall do not want tax cutting and a small state. They want levelling up.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

They are trying to cut down the Peppa Pig references.....
  • Options
    On reflection, £120,000 to have dinner with a lame duck #BorisJohnson, Theresa May and David Cameron now feels a little cheap for that experience…

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/inside-glitzy-tory-summer-party-27293529
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    HYUFD said:

Help us all

I expect one of that lot to be elected PM. I expect the "Conservative" party wants to test moving further right towards election losing extremes.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,321
    HYUFD said:

Help us all

He got the exit in shame and disgrace that he always deserved.

If you choose another flawed and unsuitable national leader, eventually so will they.
  • Options
    Cleverly Education Secretary - is ydoethur the new 10 spin doctor perhaps?
  • Options
    It’s full steam ahead, some Tory MPs will be wondering if this will morph into an attempt to cling on… https://twitter.com/10downingstreet/status/1544996327418986755
  • Options
    eek said:

Alistair said:
    Starmer threatens VONC if Johnson does not resign as PM ✊🏼✊🏼✊🏼
    Not often my predictions are confirmed instantaneously. just not the ones I have money on...
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Help us all

I expect one of that lot to be elected PM. I expect the "Conservative" party wants to test moving further right towards election losing extremes.
    After being in power for over a decade yes that is often the way parties go, see Labour 2010 to 2020 and 1980 to 1992, the Tories 1997 to 2005 etc
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,783

Truss can't get a flight for another 12 hours reporting ITV.

Since her plane is already there (G-GBNI) it may be that the crew need rest hours after flying there. Good luck getting a commercial flight out of DPS - it’s booked out as demand is currently exceeding supply.
  • Options
    Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Help us all

Is it? HY is attacking people like me - "left Liberal PBers" as being responsible for Johnson's downfall. This is not true. Nor are our views or perspectives the reason why Tory MPs have brought him down.

I have no problem with people having different perspectives of policies, politics, what is right for the country etc etc. This is not that. Nor does HY ever ever make claims like that - quite simply he is only interested in the advancement of his party and every single one of the very real and very serious issues of wrongdoing that have brought the PM down he has deflected.

I don't go round picking holes in the morality of most pro-Boris or pro-Tory posters. Because they are not massive hypocrites like HY is. On this site we pick holes in political arguments positions and perspectives. HY's are 0% morality and 100% political calculation. That is what I am pointing out. That he personally claims 100% morality is therefore hypocritical and I hold up a mirror to that massive plank sticking out of his eye.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    Nigelb said:

MaxPB said:

A-fib ?

I think it caused my father in law's stroke, and my brother in laws had cardiac ablation to treat it.
    https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/atrial-fibrillation-ablation/about/pac-20384969
    Happily no, I have a premature ectopic heartbeat which is caused by a secondary area of heartbeat triggering. It's not very serious but last night made me realise I'm not just here for me, I've got a wife and daughter as well and I want to see my daughter grow up. Sacrificing coffee seems like a small price to pay for that.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Help us all

So what? The red wall do not want tax cutting and a small state. They want levelling up.
    Yes but the Red Wall voted for Boris and to get Brexit done not the Tory Party, now Brexit has got done and Boris is not even Tory leader
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379

Lindsay Hoyle (Speaker) annoyed that Boris's statement will apparently be to television cameras rather than the House.

This makes no sense. He's announcing his resignation as Conservative Party Leader, which isn't a matter for the House.
  • Options
    DM_AndyDM_Andy Posts: 333
    Not sure I agree with Steve Brine that the 5% nomination threshold needs to be increased to avoid a "Wacky Races" scenario. The worst thing for the Tories and the country is to have a very polarising leadership election. Someone that's got a limited 1st preference vote but the vast majority of the parliamentary party would be happy with as a 2nd/3rd choice could be quite successful.
  • Options

Raab and Sunak around 5.6, Wallace still 4.2.

Is Wallace contingent on a coronation?

No, Wallace would win the membership vote
  • Options
    Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Help us all

Seemed pretty fair to me. With everything we know it is quite legit to question the morality of someone who continues to be an apologist for someone without morals.
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    edited July 2022

Whisper it quietly

It might be too early to judge that.

There's a lot of troubles on the horizon for any new leader and PM. Brexit still has a negative effect on the finances and the cost of living crisis there doesn't appear to be any real answers. Covid is still around and all it would take is one variant that mutates to cause much greater severity and that will cause a huge amount of problems.

It might just be the Conservatives time in government in this spell is up (12 years and counting) and time to bring back in Labour for a while.
  • Options
    Mr. HYUFD, interesting answer, cheers.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,408

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Help us all

Is it? HY is attacking people like me - "left Liberal PBers" as being responsible for Johnson's downfall. This is not true. Nor are our views or perspectives the reason why Tory MPs have brought him down.

I have no problem with people having different perspectives of policies, politics, what is right for the country etc etc. This is not that. Nor does HY ever ever make claims like that - quite simply he is only interested in the advancement of his party and every single one of the very real and very serious issues of wrongdoing that have brought the PM down he has deflected.

I don't go round picking holes in the morality of most pro-Boris or pro-Tory posters. Because they are not massive hypocrites like HY is. On this site we pick holes in political arguments positions and perspectives. HY's are 0% morality and 100% political calculation. That is what I am pointing out. That he personally claims 100% morality is therefore hypocritical and I hold up a mirror to that massive plank sticking out of his eye.
    I just think calling someone "totally devoid of morality and ethics" is unnecessarily personal and abusive

In short: if you must do it, do it after the lagershed when we are all drunk
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,496

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Help us all

I'm not sure that's necessarily the case. Given the choice between Lab or Con in 2019, they went for the lower spending, smaller state option.
    I don't think we can assume a correlation between levels of wealth and desire for a small state. What the red wall wants - and what Con voters in red wall seats want - is a bit more nuanced.
  • Options
    Applicant said:

This makes no sense. He's announcing his resignation as Conservative Party Leader, which isn't a matter for the House.
    Unless Hoyle's heard he's had a change of heart and is resigning from both....
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Help us all

If I had a naked desire for power at any price I would have joined the Labour Party from 1997 to 2010
  • Options

Leon said:

I have spent the last day off this website, outside and regrouping. So many kind people have said they would like me to stay, so I will - but I will try my very best to reduce my posting activity as it is best for my mental health at this time.

Thank you for your support.

Honestly absolutely delighted. The third good news I have heard today after Johnson's resignation and my daughter getting a 1st in her degree.
    Well done to your daughter! That fantastic
    Cheers Leon.
    Congrats.

Congrats to your daughter Richard, that's great :)
    Congrats, Richard, and thank you Horse for reconsidering.
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    Scott_xP said:

🚨NEW POLLING WITH @GMB 🚨

Boris Johnson is now less popular than Jeremy Corbyn.

Boris Johnson:
    Favourable 22%
    Unfavourable 62%
    NET SCORE -40

Jeremy Corbyn:
    Favourable 21%
    Unfavourable 56%
    NET SCORE -35

Keir Starmer:
    Favourable 34%
    Unfavourable 35%
    NET SCORE -1 https://twitter.com/OpiniumResearch/status/1544995322530783232/photo/1

22 is more than 21.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Whisper it quietly

It really didn’t. Labour are closer to power than they’ve been since 2010. It’s good news.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,496

What? What happened to Michelle Donelan?
  • Options
    There's no way he can stay on until October. It's arrant nonsense to think he can. Someone needs to grip this.

https://twitter.com/RuthDavidsonPC/status/1544972239501754368
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,343
    12.30 Johnson statement
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,477
    Nigelb said:

MaxPB said:

A-fib ?

I'd be a wee bit suspicious of anyone proposing a technique using 'cold energy'. Interesting approach though. My FiL also has it.
  • Options
    UK Education Secretaries, a short history:

Tuesday: Nadhim Zahawi
    Wednesday: Michelle Donelan
    Thursday: James Cleverley

https://twitter.com/DanielHewittITV/status/1544997698755084288
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,927

Truss can't get a flight for another 12 hours reporting ITV.

Oh, she’s relying on a commercial flight, rather than the government plane?
  • Options
    BETTING POST

Bet yesterday on Dominic Raab on Smarkets as next PM thinking he might be interim PM. Smarkets have made clear on their rules though that interim PM would not count (despite the claim no such thing exists).

However Raab has come in to 6.6-6.8 so I've laid off my stake and made a 420% return on my stake in 24 hours. Not bad. However if that is because others are thinking Raab will be interim, or because they're matching Betfair (where the rules indicate interim may pay out unlike Smarkets) then this could be a very good lay.

I don't see why Raab would be layable at 6.8 otherwise. Cashing out or laying Raab on Smarkets could be good value. Laying him on Smarkets and backing him on Betfair might even be potentially profitable.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,134
    Cookie said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Help us all

I'm not sure that's necessarily the case. Given the choice between Lab or Con in 2019, they went for the lower spending, smaller state option.
    I don't think we can assume a correlation between levels of wealth and desire for a small state. What the red wall wants - and what Con voters in red wall seats want - is a bit more nuanced.
    They want more spending on them and less on everyone else.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    Cookie said:

Appointed yesterday. Resigned this morning.
  • Options
    Cabinet appointed and meeting at 3

BoZo "statement"

I am not resigning...
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,278
    Scott_xP said:

It’s full steam ahead, some Tory MPs will be wondering if this will morph into an attempt to cling on… https://twitter.com/10downingstreet/status/1544996327418986755

Of course it fecking will.

He will say anything and lie about anything to buy 24 hours never mind the 3 months he is about to buy by lying about resigning.

• Options
    Jonathan said:

Whisper it quietly

It really didn’t. Labour are closer to power than they’ve been since 2010. It’s good news.
    Two years of a new PM will alter the dynamic. Still think Cons largest party (by quite some way) is most likely, with a majority not too far behind.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Not clever enough, clearly.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Help us all

If I had a naked desire for power at any price I would have joined the Labour Party from 1997 to 2010
    Well you have already confessed to voting for Welsh independence.

Anything else you wish to confess?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Help us all

Yes but the Red Wall voted for Boris and to get Brexit done not the Tory Party, now Brexit has got done and Boris is not even Tory leader
    Sorry, but as I have said before, you lose credibility with your statements that are presented as facts. This is complete cobblers, and Mike has presented at least two headers with strong evidence that the strongest motivation for people in those seats at that election was stopping Corbyn. You are like a "speak your weight" machine that keeps repeating political slogans.

As for your other statement that Wallace will win the membership vote, that may be the balance of probability, but it is not fact. Try applying a little nuance, or perhaps start your sentences with IMO. You are not fecking Nostradamus.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623

Friday: ????
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,082

Cookie said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Help us all

They want more spending on them and less on everyone else.
    Well that’s what levelling up always entailed - the problem was that Boris couldn’t be honest about that and instead told everyone what they wanted to hear.
  • Options

Friday: ????
    Sounds like an exam question.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,290
    Not sure if already posted but per Times Radio:

YouGov has polled Con members and done several head to heads - and Wallace wins a head to head against all other leading candidates.
  • Options
    And so it begins. Operation Keep Big Dog in No 10 even though he says he is resigning...

Sebastian Payne
    @SebastianEPayne
    ·
    1m
    New cabinet coming through:
    @GregClarkMP
    as levelling up secretary,
    @JamesCleverly
    as education,
    @RobertBuckland
    as Wales,
    @kitmalthouse
    as Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster. No10 calculating that appointing moderate temporary cabinet ministers will allow Johnson to cling on.
  • Options
    Nearly two thirds of voters think a new Conservative leader should call an early election. Just 24% disagree.

88% of Labour voters think there should be an early election compared to 45% of Conservative voters. https://twitter.com/OpiniumResearch/status/1544999508102320130/photo/1
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Whisper it quietly

Two years of a new PM will alter the dynamic. Still think Cons largest party (by quite some way) is most likely, with a majority not too far behind.
    Depends who you choose!
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031

Carnyx said:

A relevant fact is surely that Theresa May earns a £ 110,000 a speech in the US conference circuit. She is basically the dullest & least interesting speaker in the world with a tale of boring underachievement to tell.

So, @Leon is completely correct. There will be tonnes of money for Boris. Memoirs, the talk circuit, books.

Of course, the books will be a pack of lies. No-one wants the truth. People want an unreliable, amusing tale told them. Boris has been delivering that all his life.

Suppose you have to sit through a speech by one of our ex-PMs -- Major, Blair, Brown, Cameron, May or Johnson.

Which one do you choose?

All the speeches will be highly self-serving -- and at least four of them will be very dull.

Blair's would not be, Johnson's would not be.

The answer is obvious. Major, on cricket.

I wouldn't like to be the publisher's lawyer for Mr J's memoirs. Especially with any superinjunction possibly hypothetically imposed by Mr J himself (a further point to bear in mind re any memoirs).
    I find cricket the most tedious game in the world, with the possible exception of golf.
    I presume skiing doesn't count as a game?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Nigelb said:

MaxPB said:

A-fib ?

Happily no, I have a premature ectopic heartbeat which is caused by a secondary area of heartbeat triggering. It's not very serious but last night made me realise I'm not just here for me, I've got a wife and daughter as well and I want to see my daughter grow up. Sacrificing coffee seems like a small price to pay for that.
    Great to hear you are ok, Max.

I cannot stress too highly the importance of a good diet in assisting not only a long life but the ability to actually enjoy it. Coffee and other 'treats' are a small price to pay.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Nearly two thirds of voters think a new Conservative leader should call an early election. Just 24% disagree.

88% of Labour voters think there should be an early election compared to 45% of Conservative voters. https://twitter.com/OpiniumResearch/status/1544999508102320130/photo/1

Who da thought it?
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,347
    edited July 2022

Cookie said:

Severance pay tomorrow. Trebles all round.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,758

Cookie said:

As a matter of interest, how much do the overnight ministers earn for their 24 hours of office ?
  • Options
    VONC this afternoon.

Get him out or they will (and we will) all regret it.

He is pure poison. Trump-levels of mental illness or personality disorder. The country is not in safe hands whilst he remains.

This discussion has been closed.