Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Bad news for people laying a 2022 general election? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,969
    Cambridge!

Kwasi Kwarteng has told the chief whip that he believes Boris Johnson has to go for the good of the country

Final straw was said to be a story from @MrHarryCole - which I'm told was impeccably sourced - naming Kwarteng as one of three Cabinet ministers facing axe in reshuffle

https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1544735490825457673
  • StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 6,764
    Carnyx said:

Chris said:

Scott_xP said:

Downing Street source says PM’s staff are telling waiting ministers - both loyalists and those who want him to quit - that he’s still not back from House of Commons.

“They are still saying that he hasn't returned. He got back half an hour ago.”

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1544730039803068421

Hiding in the wardrobe.
    Wine fridge surely. Unless that is an allusion to C. S. Lewis?
    The White Witch’s Reign is almost over

Peter - Saj -
    Susan - Sunak (generally useless and a bit whiny)
    Edmund - Zahawi - almost king definitely a traitor
    Lucy - ?
    Mrs Beaver - Graham Brady - thoughtful but a bit player
    Maughrin- JRM?

But who is Aslan?
  • numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,414

Being premier seems to send most of them mad after a while.

But two years to become utterly Downfall-level bunker insane must be a record surely?

Not if you were insane to start with….
  • bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,339
    edited July 2022
    kle4 said:

Genuinely surprising nearly all the Cabinet still in post. Sure, a few of them are now trying to get him to go, but technically nearly all of them retain their support through their positions. I don't buy it is a sense of duty.

I can see an argument for a couple of roles. Also, this way there is a still an escalatory step. 15 Cabinet resignations and a statement from the likes of Wallace that he would resign but feels he cannot.
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    edited July 2022
    kle4 said:

Genuinely surprising nearly all the Cabinet still in post. Sure, a few of them are now trying to get him to go, but technically nearly all of them retain their support through their positions. I don't buy it is a sense of duty.

If you were the PM and had the option of picking anyone from the Parliamentary Tory Party exactly how many of the current Cabinet would remain in your first cabinet...
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950

TOPPING said:

Scott_xP said:

🆕 Mr @SteveBakerHW tells me he's considering a wildcard leadership tilt:

"I respect that @ConHome readers consistently put me in the top 10 for next leader," he said.

“So in the event that Boris resigns I will have to reflect seriously on whether to run."

Cont ...

https://twitter.com/latikambourke/status/1544732763063975938

yes yes yes YES!

Have him at ...checks...65s.

He's now ...checks... 70s!

Oh.
    I know he can be old fashioned, but what is 70s in new money?
    LOL it's £3.50 which is about what I put on him.

Kemi's now 100. Worth a fiver on any of a dozen MPs atm imo.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,251
    Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

MP very close to PM says: "It’s over.. [but] he thinks in classical terms, for him there is no greater honour in resigning than being killed... if you are going to die, go down fighting"
    https://twitter.com/Smyth_Chris/status/1544734594821398531

That's odd. Slitting your wrists in a bath and making wisecracks while having a friend read some Stoic philosophy was the done thing. Or falling on your sword, if at all martial. (Not that I am suggesting these, of course.)
    Suggests I’m right, tho. He sees this as a story, and he wants the right denouement. I have *some* sympathy with that. If you’re gonna take down the king, prepare for blood
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,069

Carnyx said:

Chris said:

Scott_xP said:

Downing Street source says PM’s staff are telling waiting ministers - both loyalists and those who want him to quit - that he’s still not back from House of Commons.

Hiding in the wardrobe.

Peter - Saj -
    Lucy - ?
    Maughrin- JRM?

But who is Aslan?
    SKS of course!
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,758
    edited July 2022

Cambridge!

Kwasi Kwarteng has told the chief whip that he believes Boris Johnson has to go for the good of the country

Final straw was said to be a story from @MrHarryCole - which I'm told was impeccably sourced - naming Kwarteng as one of three Cabinet ministers facing axe in reshuffle

Wasn't it Caroline Flint who did 'resignation by hissy fit?'
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,043
    Johnson is just going to refuse to see the Cabinet isn't he?
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,739
    Oh FFS

There's a school of thought, expressed by grandees, that it would actually be cathartic for the party for Johnson to be removed in a ballot rather than resigning. They argue the defeat would be sufficiently big to reduce the amount of poison that removing a leader would cause

https://twitter.com/JGForsyth/status/1544736051201298436
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,723
    Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

MP very close to PM says: "It’s over.. [but] he thinks in classical terms, for him there is no greater honour in resigning than being killed... if you are going to die, go down fighting"

That's odd. Slitting your wrists in a bath and making wisecracks while having a friend read some Stoic philosophy was the done thing. Or falling on your sword, if at all martial. (Not that I am suggesting these, of course.)
    I thought Jennifer Accuri said he had a very small sword
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950

He is getting on with delivering what people want.

Apart from *that*, obvs.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,069

But two years to become utterly Downfall-level bunker insane must be a record surely?

Has anyone left Number 10 with their sanity intact? Does it posses some monkey paw like curse?

Carnyx said:

Chris said:

Scott_xP said:

Hiding in the wardrobe.

Peter - Saj -
    Lucy - ?
    Maughrin- JRM?

But who is Aslan?
    Do not suggest to Mr Johnson that Graham Brady is a beaver. The consequences might be unfortunate.
  • Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,766
    Anyone feeling a tiny bit of sympathy for Johnson? hehehehehehehehehhehehe

*thinks hard*

No.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614

Cambridge!

So we’re back to “Friends of Carrie” causing mischief, even if he is now the PolEd at The Sun.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,959

Very much sotto voce if so.....
    Wonder what Carrie thinks of all this. No more Chequers. No more G7s and G20s and NATO summits in glam places. No more being-at-the-centre-of-power

Now she faces a married life with a bored man in his late 50s, with two young kids; a man, moreover, known for relentless infidelity
  • RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,013

David Duguid has just resigned.

Surely that must be the tipping point

I've been calling him a fawning lickspittle for ages. And tweeted twice in the last day or so that he and Vickers have gone frit.

Glad he has grown a pair. I look forward to helping remove him from office as an MP
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    Scott_xP said:

Oh FFS

There's a school of thought, expressed by grandees, that it would actually be cathartic for the party for Johnson to be removed in a ballot rather than resigning. They argue the defeat would be sufficiently big to reduce the amount of poison that removing a leader would cause

How many times have we said that most Tory MPs have no backbone.

Granted Bozo won't go unless forced to but that they continually find ways to make things hard for themselves...

For instance not changing the 1922 rules now but waiting until after an election on Monday to do so...
  • CookieCookie Posts: 11,184
    Scott_xP said:

“At some basic level, almost anybody in parliament would be a better prime minister than Boris Johnson. Larry the Downing Street cat, at the moment, would be a better prime minister,” says former Tory MP @RoryStewartUK. “He simply can’t govern.” https://twitter.com/amanpour/status/1544732459262251010/video/1

Well that's long been the case. But almost is the crucial word; because in 2019 he was up against one of the select few who would have clearly been far worse.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

SeaShantyIrish2 said:

Counting chickens before eggs hatch unwise when dealing with likes of Boris Johnson.

BTW, what great British lawyer could best (or rather worst) perform the Rudy G role for BoJo?

SKS

SeaShantyIrish2 said:

Counting chickens before eggs hatch unwise when dealing with likes of Boris Johnson.

BTW, what great British lawyer could best (or rather worst) perform the Rudy G role for BoJo?

SKS

I know it can't have been great watching watching your man humiliated but you have to admit SKS was pretty good today
  • HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,097
    Leon said:

Wonder what Carrie thinks of all this. No more Chequers. No more G7s and G20s and NATO summits in glam places. No more being-at-the-centre-of-power

Now she faces a married life with a bored man in his late 50s, with two young kids; a man, moreover, known for relentless infidelity

I thought she was already pretty much shacked up with Zac Goldsmith? If so, I shouldn't feel too sorry for her.

And apparently she has hated life in No. 10.
    edited July 2022
    Leon said:

Surely she knows, more than anyone, that the man who marries his mistress merely creates a vacancy?

She must be waiting for the big money post-office deals to come though, so she can claim half.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Posts: 1,151
    Scott_xP said:

🆕 Mr @SteveBakerHW tells me he's considering a wildcard leadership tilt:

"I respect that @ConHome readers consistently put me in the top 10 for next leader," he said.

“So in the event that Boris resigns I will have to reflect seriously on whether to run."

Cont ...

https://twitter.com/latikambourke/status/1544732763063975938

Shame the Tories don't have an affiliated supporters category in their leadership elections, otherwise I'd happily pay £3 to elect him.
  • Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,336
    2700+ posts today.

It's manic
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,149
    edited July 2022
    Leon said:

Shame about the treehouse. One of the lost buildings, like that giant pyramid in North London. It'd have been quite something, the Wendy equivalent of Blenheim Palace. Modern Pevsners would write screeds about soffits and doorcases and rebates and porticos.
    Leon said:

Does Zak not still have a seat in the Lords?

He currently has his fingers jammed in his ears.

"LALALA I can't hear you......."
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,168

Chris said:

Iain Martin
    @iainmartin1
    ·
    56m
    Is there any parallel in the history of the Tory party of a leader threatening to spring a general election - in which his party would get smashed - to frighten his colleagues and cling on to power? Queen wouldn't let him have an election BTW, though.

Effectively he would be threatening to suicide bomb his own party. It's not surprising if it hasn't been tried before.
    PM Taro Aso in Japan 2009 is the only example anywhere I can think of out of all the 40 or so countries I try and follow, called GE before being ousted as LDP leader, landslide defeat at the election.
    In that case, wasn't it that Aso called the election and then the LDP tried to oust him.
    Foxy said:

Carnyx said:

Chris said:

Scott_xP said:

Hiding in the wardrobe.

Peter - Saj -
    Lucy - ?
    Maughrin- JRM?

But who is Aslan?
    SKS of course!
    I think Aslan is the electorate perhaps. I always thought it a bit alarming in the book when it was said that Aslan was coming.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,047
    Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Surely she knows, more than anyone, that the man who marries his mistress merely creates a vacancy?

She must be waiting for the big money post-office deals to come though, so she can claim half.
    You lose them how you got them.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,089
    Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

Suggests I’m right, tho. He sees this as a story, and he wants the right denouement. I have *some* sympathy with that. If you’re gonna take down the king, prepare for blood
    Some truth in that. Consider Maggie's description of her own downfall at the hands of her cabinet.

But it does add to the idea that BoJo essentially sees other people as bits of stage background for his brilliant life story.
    AS THINGS STAND at 1830

- 2 competing trains of thoughts among Johnson allies
    - fight on, appoint new ministers, stay in office by any means necessary
    - others feel it's over & pushing handover timetable
    - ahead of Cab showdown PM subscribed to 1st view

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/live-blog/2022-07-05/uk-government-resignations https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1544737786179325953/photo/1

2700+ posts today.

It's manic

I'm also running a seminar on AML and ethics today.
    Scott_xP said:

Oh FFS

It would also be wonderfully humiliating for the fat little prick

I once took an 80 seat majority and pissed it up the wall in less than 3 years https://twitter.com/RobinFlavell/status/1544379992041291776/photo/1
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,870
    edited July 2022
    Been travelling today and just catching up. Probably just as well, I wouldn’t have got anything done anyway. It really is only the utter dross still supporting him - Mogg, Dorries, Jack, none of whom I would piss on if they were burning.
  • Carnyx said:

Chris said:

Scott_xP said:

Hiding in the wardrobe.

Peter - Saj -
    Lucy - ?
    Maughrin- JRM?

But who is Aslan?
    Lucy - Laura Trott
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,846

Carnyx said:

Chris said:

Scott_xP said:

Hiding in the wardrobe.

Peter - Saj -
    Lucy - ?
    Maughrin- JRM?

But who is Aslan?
    The Queen
  • Corbyn calls for People's Government
  • PensfoldPensfold Posts: 191

Cambridge!

There's no one left to shuffle into ministerial positions. Kwarteng would have been safe.
    He stays until next week by sounds of it as if I have understand it Brady has decided not to change the rules until new 1922 people have been elected on Monday.

• Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,846

Carnyx said:

Chris said:

Scott_xP said:

Hiding in the wardrobe.

Peter - Saj -
    Lucy - ?
    Maughrin- JRM?

But who is Aslan?
    The Queen
    And Gove is Mr Tumnus.
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    I sort of want another confidence vote just so we can see exactly how small the rump of support for Boris has shrunk to.
    edited July 2022
    Right, I'm about to watch Strange New Worlds, can politics take a break for the next 52 minutes please.
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,853

Foxy said:

Carnyx said:

Chris said:

Scott_xP said:

Hiding in the wardrobe.

Peter - Saj -
    Lucy - ?
    Maughrin- JRM?

But who is Aslan?
    SKS of course!
    I think Aslan is the electorate perhaps. I always thought it a bit alarming in the book when it was said that Aslan was coming.
    Surely Aslan has to be resurrected.

Where's Dave these days? I don't think Treeza quite fits the character.

Corbyn calls for People's Government

He was calling for peace in Ukraine rolling over Eastern Ukraine to the Russians a few hours ago.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,400

What does that even mean?
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 14,772

I've been calling him a fawning lickspittle for ages. And tweeted twice in the last day or so that he and Vickers have gone frit.

Glad he has grown a pair. I look forward to helping remove him from office as an MP
    Apparently he was Trade Envoy to Angola and Zambia.
    edited July 2022

Foxy said:

Carnyx said:

Chris said:

Scott_xP said:

Hiding in the wardrobe.

Peter - Saj -
    Lucy - ?
    Maughrin- JRM?

But who is Aslan?
    SKS of course!

Theresa May?

Edit - Blair for a peerage and acting PM?
    Sandpit said:

Leon said:

He'll never get to run a Post Office.

Oh.
  • MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,281
    BBC: Boris has just been having his weekly audience with the Queen (by phone)!!!
    NEW: Sources say PM is seeing Cabinet ministers one at a time rather than a being greeted by the whole delegation.

Number of them told Chief earlier they would resign last night or today without movement, when invited to No10 by CHH to see tell the PM to his face.

https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1544739041542807554

2700+ posts today.

It's manic

Imagine if there was a test match on too.....
    Or @Leon had just arrived in a new country and scored.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 23,926

2700+ posts today.

It's manic

Would it be ethical for a billionaire former Chancellor to bribe Boris to resign with £3 million in a carrier bag?
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,812
    Scott_xP said:

NEW: Sources say PM is seeing Cabinet ministers one at a time rather than a being greeted by the whole delegation.

Number of them told Chief earlier they would resign last night or today without movement, when invited to No10 by CHH to see tell the PM to his face.

And yet nobody has yet resigned.
    Wasters.

Carnyx said:

Chris said:

Scott_xP said:

Hiding in the wardrobe.

Peter - Saj -
    Lucy - ?
    Maughrin- JRM?

But who is Aslan?
    The Queen
    And Gove is Mr Tumnus.
    he is a bit fawning.
    MikeL said:

BBC: Boris has just been having his weekly audience with the Queen (by phone)!!!

HMQ: Seriously, stay the course, I haven't laughed like this for ages.
  • kle4 said:

I think it means OOOHH JE-RE-MY COOOR-BYN

2700+ posts today.

It's manic

They need to finish off Boris in time for the football. The whole House will be backing the Lionesses, we learned at PMQs today.
  • HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,097
    Right, I'm going to kick back for a bit too and watch something else.

I think if he is clinging on until the newspapers go to press then this will be as disastrous for the party as was Black Wednesday.

And, yes, I do find that very sad. It didn't need to end this way.
  • darkagedarkage Posts: 4,746
    Scott_xP said:

AS THINGS STAND at 1830

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/live-blog/2022-07-05/uk-government-resignations https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1544737786179325953/photo/1

Just out of interest.... who are his allies? I can only think of two.
    Scott_xP said:

He's a classicist. Caesar's "divide et impera"* still applies.

*Tr: divide and rule.
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,168

Apparently he was Trade Envoy to Angola and Zambia.
    FISHERIES and Trade Envoy to Angola and Zambia.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Alistair said:

Right, I think I've constructed the scenario where by 11am tomorrow Ian Blackford is Prime Minister.

It does rely on Boris Johnson and the Conservative party being a pile of clown shoes buffoons so highly unlikely I know...

Go on, I'll bite. How?
    Obviously it also require Durham Police to deliver on the FPN and then when I tell you it also requires a trained chicken and THREE orange tennis balls I think it becomes clear the scenario I am outlining so I won't bore you with the details.
    Scott_xP said:

AS THINGS STAND at 1830

As I say, Tories will have to vote with Opposition in a proper House-wide VONC to get him out imho.

Then Queen will invite someone else to try and form an administration.

• boulayboulay Posts: 3,773

2700+ posts today.

It's manic

Would it be ethical for a billionaire former Chancellor to bribe Boris to resign with £3 million in a carrier bag?
    Or a tray of the Sunak’s tea-cups, apparently similar value.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Grim mood in Downing Street. No 10 insider says "lots of tears" in building. "Writing on the wall now. The working assumption is that it will be today"

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1544721591006859266
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 4,534
    How many MPs will resign if Bozo refuses to go tonight .
    Scott_xP said:

Didn't Mrs Thatcher regret not seeing the Cabinet en masse when they told her, one by one, that the game was up?
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,853
    edited July 2022
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Carnyx said:

Chris said:

Scott_xP said:

Hiding in the wardrobe.

Peter - Saj -
    Lucy - ?
    Maughrin- JRM?

But who is Aslan?
    SKS of course!

Theresa May?

Edit - Blair for a peerage and acting PM?
    Yes, Theresa May. You could just about see that happening although only in extremis.

Acting PM Blair? I think we'd need an asteroid strike on the Commons.

Edit: Although that seems more likely than Boris actually resigning.

Boris Johnson’s current view is that he should fight on and refuse to resign, reports @alexwickham

Live updates: http://bloom.bg/3yrdf3c https://twitter.com/BloombergUK/status/1544740114340913157/photo/1

2700+ posts today.

It's manic

They need to finish off Boris in time for the football. The whole House will be backing the Lionesses, we learned at PMQs today.
    Ah, classical allusions again. Unless one wants to channel the Rector of Stiffkey.
  • wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,841
    darkage said:

Scott_xP said:

AS THINGS STAND at 1830

Just out of interest.... who are his allies? I can only think of two.
    Barclay, Mogg, Dorries, Braverman, perhaps Zahawi
    IshmaelZ said:

Grim mood in Downing Street. No 10 insider says "lots of tears" in building. "Writing on the wall now. The working assumption is that it will be today"

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1544721591006859266

Oh god, is Pincher popping in?
    kle4 said:

It means that he has set up a People’s Soviet in his front parlour with Richard Burgon.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 11,184
    Leon said:

The British Constitution consists of

A letter to the Times from 1950
    A sentence drunkenly written on the label of a bottle of Dow’s port, possibly by William Bagehot
    Seven husky words spoken by the dying King Charles II to Nell Gwynne
    Nineteen pages of impenetrable code known only to Alan Turing
    A portent in the sky over Whitstable!
    A diary believed lost during World War 2
    A sturdy hymn

The oddity of that letter to the Times is that it was written under the pseudonym 'SENEX'.
    Which makes me wonder whether any particular posting here might count. HYUFD, for one, has a fair few words under his belt written with sufficient conviction.
    kle4 said:

MikeL said:

HMQ: Seriously, stay the course, I haven't laughed like this for ages.
    She wants to get at least one more PM on her list before London Bridge.....
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Carnyx said:

Chris said:

Scott_xP said:

Hiding in the wardrobe.

Peter - Saj -
    Lucy - ?
    Maughrin- JRM?

But who is Aslan?
    The Queen
    And Gove is Mr Tumnus.
    JRM is the lamppost.
    We're going to need more dogs.
    Heathener said:

Leon said:

I thought she was already pretty much shacked up with Zac Goldsmith? If so, I shouldn't feel too sorry for her.

She has hated life in Number 10 - during Covid. That’s quite a bit different to normal life. She’s highly social and loves a party. I bet she was looking forward to Number 10 as it should be: the centre of socio-political networking

I don’t buy the Zak Goldsmith story. I have zero evidence, it simply seems unlikely for a mother of two young children
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,089
    Foxy said:

Has anyone left Number 10 with their sanity intact? Does it posses some monkey paw like curse?
    Callaghan, maybe? Probably May and Major, too.

Perhaps what they have in common is that they unambiguously failed in the job. Everyone does in the end, but their failure was so unarguable that they didn't have to waste any sanity pretending otherwise.

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

He'll never get to run a Post Office.

Oh.
    He definitely wouldn’t want to run a Post Office - did you see how many of them ended up in jail in the last few years?
    Right on cue, some brave individual on the BBC misunderstands a political leader is an annointed king.

An unnamed MP close to Boris Johnson tonight described some of his critics as “treacherous”.

IshmaelZ said:

No 10 insider says "lots of tears" in building. "Writing on the wall now. The working assumption is that it will be today"

He's vandalising the wallpaper?
    How would anyone tell?
    Fritz-Nadal is a very good match btw.....
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,624

Foxy said:

Callaghan, maybe? Probably May and Major, too.

Perhaps what they have in common is that they unambiguously failed in the job. Everyone does in the end, but their failure was so unarguable that they didn't have to waste any sanity pretending otherwise.
    Major - because he hated the job by the end and was happy to leave, not because he personally failed.

See the book by Dr Owen on leaders.

IshmaelZ said:

No 10 insider says "lots of tears" in building. "Writing on the wall now. The working assumption is that it will be today"

He's vandalising the wallpaper?
    Burning papers more like.
    While Carrie stuffs anything not nailed down into her handbag.
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,723
    Roger said:

SeaShantyIrish2 said:

SKS

SeaShantyIrish2 said:

SKS

I know it can't have been great watching watching your man humiliated but you have to admit SKS was pretty good today
    He was shite as usual
    Leon said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

She has hated life in Number 10 - during Covid. That’s quite a bit different to normal life. She’s highly social and loves a party. I bet she was looking forward to Number 10 as it should be: the centre of socio-political networking

I don’t buy the Zak Goldsmith story. I have zero evidence, it simply seems unlikely for a mother of two young children
    Trouble is, by all accounts Boris is not highly sociable and hates parties. Perhaps they have a shared interest in exotic holidays.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,084
    Sandbrook: Why didn’t he run Britain as he had once run London? For me, that’s the really baffling question. Why didn’t he surround himself from the first with genuinely seasoned, clever, ruthless people, as Reagan did — or as Thatcher, Clement Attlee and his hero Churchill did? Why employ Gavin Williamson? Why associate with Nadine Dorries? What can possibly explain the Cabinet career of Jacob Rees-Mogg? An elaborate bet? A practical joke that got wildly out of hand?

Ask people who know Johnson well, and you get different answers. Some suggest that deep down, he has always been intensely insecure — something that’s true of many politicians, but wasn’t true of Reagan or Thatcher — and that he dreaded surrounding himself with rivals and potential successors. Others point to the breakdown of his marriage to Marina Wheeler in 2018, insisting that she was his rock, his anchor, his source of psychological stability and political sense.

But perhaps there’s a simpler explanation, less grounded in amateur psychology, but none the less thematically satisfying. It may be that Boris Johnson’s capacity to play the British Reagan vanished some time between midnight and dawn on 24 June 2016, as it became clear that Britain had voted to leave the European Union. For as the sun rose that morning, just under half of the country vowed that it would never forget and never forgive. They blamed Gove, they blamed Farage, but above all they blamed Johnson. And with that, the part of the national conciliator, the amiable patriotic showman, was lost to him forever. He tried out for other parts, of course: the Brexit deal-maker, the Whitehall party-planner, the East African travel agent. But none of them really worked out. All his life he had been preparing to play a single role — and in the very act of securing it, he lost it forever.

So perhaps, in the end, he was just another victim of Brexit. As a former classical scholar, he might appreciate the irony.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    edited July 2022
    kle4 said:

Right on cue, some brave individual on the BBC misunderstands a political leader is an annointed king.

An unnamed MP close to Boris Johnson tonight described some of his critics as “treacherous”.

They are, a load of wet, treacherous, treasonous, pygmies.

Exactly the same type of MPs who toppled Thatcher, another great election winner, leading to years of bitter division in the party and ultimately over a decade in opposition
  • ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,803
    It's gone ominously quiet on the whole "resign!" thing. Really does feel like he's going to brazen this out.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074
    Leon said:

I’m bored now. There hasn’t been an unprecedented constitutional outrage for over 20 minutes

Ha! A more or less direct copy of what I said yesterday.

Made for each other, we are .....

This discussion has been closed.