Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Bad news for people laying a 2022 general election? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,340
    ydoethur said:

If even Grant Shapps thinks Johnson's unfit to be PM, the game is really up.

But has Michael Green given a view?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,238
    Alistair said:

Right, I think I've constructed the scenario where by 11am tomorrow Ian Blackford is Prime Minister.

It does rely on Boris Johnson and the Conservative party being a pile of clown shoes buffoons so highly unlikely I know...

Heavens above. I think I'd rather keep Johnson.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

TOPPING said:

Scott_xP said:

No 10 divided:

Two groups of Cabinet ministers are gathered in No 10

Loyalists who argue that forcing PM out would lead to snap election & Labour SNP coalition

Newly minted rebels who want him gone

They are gathered *in different parts of the building*

https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1544728307895341056

I think the pro-Boris group's colours are blue; the anti-Boris group wear purple.
    Who gets to wear the horned shamen hat?
    Nadine, surely.

Well, I'm not going to take it off her!
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,579
    James II allegedly knew the jig was up, when he overheard one of his own guardians whistling "Lilliburlero".

SO what would be the appropriate tune to be whistling outside the PM's window right now?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,440
    David Duguid quits.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,203
    I’m still bored. Gonna look at the view. Which, helpfully, is like something in Africa in a dream

• Options
    Alistair said:

Right, I think I've constructed the scenario where by 11am tomorrow Ian Blackford is Prime Minister.

It does rely on Boris Johnson and the Conservative party being a pile of clown shoes buffoons so highly unlikely I know...

#JohnsonMustStay
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860
    David Duguid has just resigned.

Surely that must be the tipping point
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,929

Has HYUFD left to storm Parliament in support of Boris yet??

He can’t find the keys to the tank I believe. Think his wife took them by mistake.
  • Options

James II allegedly knew the jig was up, when he overheard one of his own guardians whistling "Lilliburlero".

SO what would be the appropriate tune to be whistling outside the PM's window right now?

“Show me the way to go home”….
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,304
    Leon said:

I’m still bored. Gonna look at the view. Which, helpfully, is like something in Africa in a dream

Is that a triceratops behind that bush?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,756

David Duguid quits.

Now that really is an omen.

Where are we on Mr Ross?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,301

David Duguid quits.

David done good.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,790

he is trying to find a viking helmet and some fur
  • Options

David Duguid has just resigned.

Surely that must be the tipping point

Not until Charlie Falconer has gone.

• Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,952
    The absolute state of this...

The one worry for Tory MPs tonight is that forcing out a sitting Prime Minister between general elections could appear anti-democratic.
    The Conservative Party might not recover from this for years.

https://twitter.com/christopherhope/status/1544731656606597122
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,462
    James Sunderland resigns as PPS: Sky News
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,750
    Any word from Chris Pincher?
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,262
    edited July 2022
    James Sunderland resigns = 38
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,966
    Alistair said:

I dunno. The situation in Downing Street could end like Hamlet.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,934
    Carnyx said:

David Duguid quits.

Now that really is an omen.

Where are we on Mr Ross?
    Wednesdays Ross is full of quit
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897
    FPT @BartholomewRoberts
    Yes, it’s Fuel Duty.

The new Chancellor should have announced it this morning, and let it dominate the day’s news outside of the Westminster Bubble.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,003

Nearly 2,700 comments today so far.

Oooh, does number 2,700 get a special prize? ;)

Do we know what the record is? Surely the might and day after a GE?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,634
    How likely is a snap election?
  • Options

Nearly 2,700 comments today so far.

Told you PB is going downhill :)
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,932
    If Boris resigns the Queen should send for a long serving MP with Cabinet experience and the ability to build coalitions - step forward Sir Ed Davey. He would then appoint the following cabinet; Lord President and Deputy PM Starmer; Foreign Secretary Tugendhat; Home Secretary Cooper; Chancellor of Exchequer Reeves; Health and Social Care Hunt; Scotland Blackford; Wales Saville Roberts; Ni Farry; Education Halfon; Defence Elwood; Transport Merriman; Energy and Climate Change Lucas;Chief Whip Carmichael; Work and Pensions Raynor; Defra Farron. Leader of the Opposition Dorries.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,203
    TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Is that a triceratops behind that bush?
    it is Jurassic, isn’t it? It feels like it, as well

Also, I am finally discovering a use for all those Geography lessons on oxbow lakes
  • Options
    People laughed when a trade envoy was the first out the door after Sunak and Javid, but in hindsight he was right to do so before the rush so at least it got some attention.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

The one worry for Tory MPs tonight is that forcing out a sitting Prime Minister between general elections could appear anti-democratic.

Thatcher, Blair, May would all like a word…
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,132
    ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

74 Secretaries of State for Independence would certainly make for an unorthodox cabinet
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Only one PM has left at the time of an election in the last 25 years. And only four in the last fifty.

If that's the best they can do his cause is even more hopeless than I thought, which I would willingly have sworn was impossible.
  • Options

• Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046
    I do feel the Conservative Party's reputation for ruthlessness has been badly damaged over recent months.
  • Options
    MPartridgeMPartridge Posts: 156
    In a parallel universe, David Cameron returns from another boring EU summit to take a call from President Hillary Clinton about the issues of the newly independent Scotland on Trade issues....
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,221
    Andy_JS said:

Near zero.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Just seen Jacob Rees-Mogg in a Mondeo.

What an absolute fucking peasant.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,929
    kle4 said:

Any word from Chris Pincher?

He’s got his hands full at the moment.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Zilch IMHO. HMQ won’t grant a dissolution. A new PM might try to call one, but honestly I doubt it.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,819
    Scott_xP said:

Another pathetic Bozo arse licker. Funny how his protestations didn’t appear when May was forced out .
  • Options
    JRM says the PM has his support.

On a day of shocks none can be bigger than this one
  • Options

What a load of old wank.

PMs get forced out one way or another between elections all the time. You think Australians for one give a damn about that?
  • Options

It never seemed to bother them before
  • Options
    pigeon said:

ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

74 Secretaries of State for Independence would certainly make for an unorthodox cabinet
    What do you think the cabinet Mr Johnson's constructing is?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282

Kit Malthouse, police minister and a close ally to the PM, is also in the delegation

How big is this bloody delegation?
    It’s like Murder on the Orient Express, everybody wants their fingerprints on the dagger.
    One cab member for each of his limbs?
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,579
    Leon said:

Still stuck in the fleshpots? Hie ye to the flint mines hard by the Kosovo border!

By the way, are you planning to visit Serbia? Where they REALLY know how to defenestrate!

With King Alexander Obrenović in role of Boris, and Queen Draga playing part of Carrie.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/May_Coup_(Serbia)
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Sunderland, Villa... Brooking.
  • Options
    Iain Martin
    @iainmartin1
    ·
    56m
    Is there any parallel in the history of the Tory party of a leader threatening to spring a general election - in which his party would get smashed - to frighten his colleagues and cling on to power? Queen wouldn't let him have an election BTW, though.
  • Options
    So apparently Mrs Sunak went out to waiting journalists with a tray of tea ... in £38 mugs ;)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10988049/Tory-leadership-jostling-begins-Boris-Johnson-teeters-brink-exit-Number-10.html

• Options
    Danny Kruger, who was loyal to the prime minister throughout, has told Downing Street that he thinks the game is up and he wants Boris Johnson to quit with dignity this eve - same as Michael Gove earlier today.

Kruger was No10 political secretary before becoming an MP in 2019.

https://twitter.com/SebastianEPayne/status/1544733339369734144
  • Options

Steven Swinford
    @Steven_Swinford
    · 18m
    BREAKING:

Told that Graham Brady is in the Cabinet Office *now*

He's expected to see the prime minister shortly

But he may have to join the queue given the sheer number of Cabinet ministers who also want to see Boris Johnson
  • Options
    Is Gove still actually in the Cabinet despite calling for Boris to go? That's bold.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046
    This is all getting a bit silly. However there is an opportunity for a new government to try and resolve the protocol issue, improve our trading relations with the continent and actually start think about what Brexit Britain will look like.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,388

Scott_xP said:

Thatcher, Blair, May would all like a word…
    Not to mention how do they think Boris became Prime Minister in the first place? Oh.
  • Options

he is trying to find a viking helmet and some fur
    A Sherman tank, shurely?
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,036

moonshine said:

All this is a great proof of concept of our democracy and unwritten constitution. The reason why we’re better than Russia is we can humiliate and defenestrate our leaders to casually.

Precisely, our unwritten constitution is our greatest strength and also why we're better than America too.

In America it is much harder to humiliate and defenestrate poor leaders so casually.
    Counting chickens before eggs hatch unwise when dealing with likes of Boris Johnson.

BTW, what great British lawyer could best (or rather worst) perform the Rudy G role for BoJo?
    Jolyon the Fox-Killer?

• Options

Heathener said:

Sunderland, Villa... Brooking.
    Sunderland is my MP. My partner wrote to him after party gate and he said he was backing Boris still
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,067
    Alistair said:

Ian Blackford has a decent claim based on the principle that sovereignty rests with the Clown-in-Parliament.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Heathener said:

So apparently Mrs Sunak went out to waiting journalists with a tray of tea ... in £38 mugs ;)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10988049/Tory-leadership-jostling-begins-Boris-Johnson-teeters-brink-exit-Number-10.html

Oh I’m sorry I missed those pics. It’s been years since we had the “person the story is about or their wife hands tea to journos” shot.
  • Options

I do think the party is now in a position where they are screwed whatever they do. Serves them right for inflicting a man they all knew was a wrong un on the country, as well as their stupid Brexit. They deserve everything coming their way. Everything.
    It's true they have few good options now. They could switch and still not win the next election - as we will hear, the polling for mid term was not itself irreversible.

But they clearly felt things were only going to get worse, and taking action to attempt to fix the problem, rather than just firefight from now until 2025, had to be done.
  • Options
    🆕 Mr @SteveBakerHW tells me he's considering a wildcard leadership tilt:

"I respect that @ConHome readers consistently put me in the top 10 for next leader," he said.

“So in the event that Boris resigns I will have to reflect seriously on whether to run."

Cont ...

https://twitter.com/latikambourke/status/1544732763063975938
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Scott_xP said:

"I respect that @ConHome readers consistently put me in the top 10 for next leader," he said.

“So in the event that Boris resigns I will have to reflect seriously on whether to run."

Cont ...

I don't like 'reflect on whether to run' type statements. If that support has tempted you, just take the plunge. I liked when Kendall didn't equivocate on the question when she ran for Labour leader.

Besides, Baker backed BLM, he must be super woke.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,405
    dixiedean said:

Alistair said:

Anything like the best adaption of Hamlet in history?

https://youtu.be/9Eont_yEGZs
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,124

Iain Martin
    @iainmartin1
    ·
    56m
    Is there any parallel in the history of the Tory party of a leader threatening to spring a general election - in which his party would get smashed - to frighten his colleagues and cling on to power? Queen wouldn't let him have an election BTW, though.

Effectively he would be threatening to suicide bomb his own party. It's not surprising if it hasn't been tried before.
  • Options
    “At some basic level, almost anybody in parliament would be a better prime minister than Boris Johnson. Larry the Downing Street cat, at the moment, would be a better prime minister,” says former Tory MP @RoryStewartUK. “He simply can’t govern.” https://twitter.com/amanpour/status/1544732459262251010/video/1
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,630
    Heathener said:

The one with the Border Terriers on it is Emma Bridgewater, and a snip at £14. Probably one for a more downmarket tabloid...
  • Options

Alistair said:

Ian Blackford has a decent claim based on the principle that sovereignty rests with the Clown-in-Parliament.
    In fairness, at least Blackford would provide continuity with the current PM in terms of handling of sexual misconduct allegations against MPs.
  • Options
    MP very close to PM says: "It’s over.. [but] he thinks in classical terms, for him there is no greater honour in resigning than being killed... if you are going to die, go down fighting"
    https://twitter.com/Smyth_Chris/status/1544734594821398531
  • Options
    biggles said:

Heathener said:

Oh I’m sorry I missed those pics. It’s been years since we had the “person the story is about or their wife hands tea to journos” shot.
    At £38 a pop, I hope she counted them back in....
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    edited July 2022
    Heathener said:

Where’s this, then?
    California?
  • Options
    Graham Brady has received a huge number of confidence letters

His office said to have been a revolving door today with people handing in letters every 5 minutes

Brady will tell PM but there's no guarantee he will go

Tory MP: 'He's like a cockroach in a nuclear apocalypse'

https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1544734724412870658
  • Options
    pigeon said:

ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

On the other hand one couldn't accuse them of not having clear policy ideas to solve every single problem the country faces. Granted, it is the same policy idea for all of them, but still.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

“At some basic level, almost anybody in parliament would be a better prime minister than Boris Johnson. Larry the Downing Street cat, at the moment, would be a better prime minister,” says former Tory MP @RoryStewartUK. “He simply can’t govern.” https://twitter.com/amanpour/status/1544732459262251010/video/1

He has stolen my line. Maybe Rory is a PB lurker!
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

pigeon said:

ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

What do you think the cabinet Mr Johnson's constructing is?
    11 Secretaries of State for Bullshit. Maybe 12, if he decides to ennoble HYUFD.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Iain Martin
    @iainmartin1
    ·
    56m

Effectively he would be threatening to suicide bomb his own party. It's not surprising if it hasn't been tried before.
    They've never made anyone this mad and deluded leader before basically.

British Trump.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282
    First job for the new (or interim) PM - invite the photographers in to show the world their hideous(ly expensive) wallpaper? A true 'Ceaucescu's gold bath taps' moment...
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,193
    Heathener said:

Soon it will cost £38 to boil the water for the tea! 👿
  • Options

Alistair said:

He has the right to the claim that he is more heavyweight than even the PM
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,405

Please do no insult the peasants. Only I can insult my peasants.
  • Options
    DoubleCarpetDoubleCarpet Posts: 706
    Chris said:

Iain Martin
    @iainmartin1
    ·
    56m

PM Taro Aso in Japan 2009 is the only example anywhere I can think of out of all the 40 or so countries I try and follow, called GE before being ousted as LDP leader, landslide defeat at the election.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Heathener said:

The one with the Border Terriers on it is Emma Bridgewater, and a snip at £14. Probably one for a more downmarket tabloid...
    +1

Love my Emma Bridgewater mugs.

#Champagne Socialism
  • Options
    edited July 2022

Chris said:

Iain Martin
    @iainmartin1
    ·
    56m

British Trump.
    In some ways, not the differences are still pretty stark. Boris is thoroughly an establishment figure for one. He's not extreme.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2 said:

Counting chickens before eggs hatch unwise when dealing with likes of Boris Johnson.

BTW, what great British lawyer could best (or rather worst) perform the Rudy G role for BoJo?

SKS
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    Scott_xP said:

MP very close to PM says: "It’s over.. [but] he thinks in classical terms, for him there is no greater honour in resigning than being killed... if you are going to die, go down fighting"

What utter tosh.
    Why do many suckers keep covering for him, I don’t know.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,304
    Scott_xP said:

Cont ...

yes yes yes YES!

Have him at ...checks...65s.

He's now ...checks... 70s!

Oh.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Scott_xP said:

That's odd. Slitting your wrists in a bath and making wisecracks while having a friend read some Stoic philosophy was the done thing. Or falling on your sword, if at all martial. (Not that I am suggesting these, of course.)
  • Options
    Genuinely surprising nearly all the Cabinet still in post. Sure, a few of them are now trying to get him to go, but technically nearly all of them retain their support through their positions. I don't buy it is a sense of duty.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Graham Brady has received a huge number of confidence letters

His office said to have been a revolving door today with people handing in letters every 5 minutes

Brady will tell PM but there's no guarantee he will go

Tory MP: 'He's like a cockroach in a nuclear apocalypse'

https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1544734724412870658

Tories will need to join Opposition in a full VONC across the House at this rate as the only way - so that Queen then "accepts" his instant resignation, whether he wants it or not.

• Options
    kle4 said:

pigeon said:

ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

On the other hand one couldn't accuse them of not having clear policy ideas to solve every single problem the country faces. Granted, it is the same policy idea for all of them, but still.
    The Queen's Speech would be quite something as well. Even if forcing Her Maj to travel to the Palace of Westminster just to repeat the word "Independence" 374 times might be regarded as a cruel and unwarranted punishment.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Scott_xP said:

Cont ...

yes yes yes YES!

Have him at ...checks...65s.

He's now ...checks... 70s!

Oh.
    I know he can be old fashioned, but what is 70s in new money?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

pigeon said:

ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

The Queen's Speech would be quite something as well. Even if forcing Her Maj to travel to the Palace of Westminster just to repeat the word "Independence" 374 times might be regarded as a cruel and unwarranted punishment.
  • Options

Nice try at an argument, Boris. But just fuck off and leave us to worry about how we play your departure with the voters. (I'm thinking tea, cakes and bunting for most of them....)
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Larry's been saying that for ages on his Twitter feed.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Chris said:

Iain Martin
    @iainmartin1
    ·
    56m

British Trump.
    In some ways, not the differences are still pretty stark. Boris is thoroughly an establishment figure for one. He's not extreme.
    Similarly extreme in terms of narcissism though.
  • Options
    Being premier seems to send most of them mad after a while.

But two years to become utterly Downfall-level bunker insane must be a record surely?
  • Options
    RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Posts: 1,157
    Alistair said:

Go on, I'll bite. How?
  • Options

Please do no insult the peasants. Only I can insult my peasants.
    I find it best to shoot them cleanly, preferably a left and a right.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,966

dixiedean said:

Alistair said:

Anything like the best adaption of Hamlet in history?

https://youtu.be/9Eont_yEGZs
    Bob and Doug MacKenzie's Strange Brew?
This discussion has been closed.