Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Punters think there will be a Johnson VONC but he’ll win it – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,947

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Ok, on smallest theme and without looking, smallest entrant by population to have won a medal in the Island games

Nauru?
    No, much, much smaller.
    Fair Isle?
    Not that small, about 10 times the population and youre there
    Alderney? Or Sark?
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,922
    Taz said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Ok, on smallest theme and without looking, smallest entrant by population to have won a medal in the Island games

Nauru?
    No, much, much smaller.
    Fair Isle?
    Tokelau ?
    Nope, about half the size of Tokelau
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Nauru?
    No, much, much smaller.
    Fair Isle?
    Alderney? Or Sark?
    Which would you like? ;)
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Farooq said:

kle4 said:

Farooq said:

Interestingly, IoM competes under its own banner in the Commonwealth Games, but under TGB in the Olympics.

Don't all the dependencies compete separately at the Commonwealth games?
    Could be, idk. I don't tend to follow athletics at all. I like watching badminton, that's about it.
    Horses or shuttlecocks?
  • Options
    MISTYMISTY Posts: 1,594
    Taz said:
    But 100% are fleeing from.....er......France.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Farooq said:

Interestingly, IoM competes under its own banner in the Commonwealth Games, but under TGB in the Olympics.

Yes cos there was a big fuss years ago when two Falklanders competed in the 10,000 and spent all bloody day near enough finishing
  • Options
    FlannerFlanner Posts: 407
    IshmaelZ said:

Nice Jubilee mountain illumination from Switzerland..

But which National Anthem should they play?
    The tune the Swiss played from 1894 to 1961 as a substitute for a National Anthem. The tune we officially know as "God Save the Queen", the Americans know as "My Country tis of Thee", the German Empire knew as "Heil dir in Siegerkranz", the Liechtensteiners still know as THEIR National Anthem, the Russians briefly used as an anthem and every whingeing, self-loathing Brit knows as the most dismal anthem in the world.

Because no tune anywhere, ever, has been freely adopted by so many different countries to stand as their aural logo. Which is why your average British tosser loathes it so much:.
  • Options
    England are Englanding
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,252
    England collapsing but then that is not news
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,877

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

IshmaelZ said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-family/2022/05/31/sussexes-popularity-hits-rock-bottom-britons-have-choice-words/

"Only the Duke of York proved more unpopular than the Sussexes in both polls, with a five per cent approval rating, according to JL Partners. Asked what word first sprang to mind about the beleaguered Duke, most people said “paedophile”. Other words included “disgrace”, “pervert” and “liar”. The YouGov survey gave him an approval rating of -80."

YouGov

It's a long road back for Andrew, isn't it. It's high risk but if I were him I might try a "bare all" on something like Lorraine or Loose Women.
    He will be shut out completely after the bridge event
    Looks like we're at that point now really. Amazing to think he was once the most popular royal, flying helicopters and bestriding the high-end nightclubs of London like a colossus.
    Then he went and partied with Jeffrey and the dozens of as yet unnamed nonces
    Was Prince Andrew ever that popular? iirc he used to be derided as Air Miles Andy, and his marriage to Fergie was always a bit messy (although I gather they are on good terms now).
    I think Epstein had an open door policy for the numerous nonces amongst the rich and famous. They all spent time with him
    Prince Andrew can argue that he was unlucky. How the feck Clinton, Gates, and many others have escaped disgrace is a mystery. Clinton in particular. I remember gossip about him and underage girls and Epstein from 10-15 years ago. I dismissed it as QAnon stufff. Clearly in retrospect it was REDACTED FOR OGH
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,524
    edited June 2022
    Remarkably, New Zealand could end up with a first innings lead. The tail's a bit long. Good old England, never disappoint.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187

England are Englanding

My friend is to blame. He said we’d be well ahead at the close.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,524

England are Englanding

I think you mean Ingerlanding.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,664
    Not solved the batting problem them. Those poor bowlers have to fulfill their role and that of the batsmen.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,299
    tlg86 said:

England are Englanding

My friend is to blame. He said we’d be well ahead at the close.
    Is your friend DavidL?

Nailed on New Zealand first innings lead.
  • Options
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

IshmaelZ said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-family/2022/05/31/sussexes-popularity-hits-rock-bottom-britons-have-choice-words/

"Only the Duke of York proved more unpopular than the Sussexes in both polls, with a five per cent approval rating, according to JL Partners. Asked what word first sprang to mind about the beleaguered Duke, most people said “paedophile”. Other words included “disgrace”, “pervert” and “liar”. The YouGov survey gave him an approval rating of -80."

YouGov

It's a long road back for Andrew, isn't it. It's high risk but if I were him I might try a "bare all" on something like Lorraine or Loose Women.
    Looks like we're at that point now really. Amazing to think he was once the most popular royal, flying helicopters and bestriding the high-end nightclubs of London like a colossus.
    Was Prince Andrew ever that popular? iirc he used to be derided as Air Miles Andy, and his marriage to Fergie was always a bit messy (although I gather they are on good terms now).
    I think Epstein had an open door policy for the numerous nonces amongst the rich and famous. They all spent time with him
    Prince Andrew can argue that he was unlucky. How the feck Clinton, Gates, and many others have escaped disgrace is a mystery. Clinton in particular. I remember gossip about him and underage girls and Epstein from 10-15 years ago. I dismissed it as QAnon stufff. Clearly in retrospect it was REDACTED FOR OGH
    They weren't thick enough to pose for a photo, wtf was he thinking? That one photo sunk him.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    edited June 2022
    OOOPPSSS SPOILER ALERT: Don't click on the link unless you've done today's puzzle :dizzy:

Not surprisingly, I got Worldle in one guess today:

https://worldle.teuteuf.fr
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

IshmaelZ said:

YouGov

They protect their own aside from the occasional sacrifice to the mob like Spacey or Weinstein. Hence the mysterious suicide of Epstein with the cameras tragically malfunctioning.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    IshmaelZ said:

Farooq said:

kle4 said:

Farooq said:

Could be, idk. I don't tend to follow athletics at all. I like watching badminton, that's about it.
    Horses or shuttlecocks?
    Just the 'cocks. I have no interest in the leather and silks.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,322
    Watched Borgen instalment 1. Some thoughts:

* It's much tauter and fast-moving than the first series, and the politicians are more aggressive to each other. Not sure this reflects Danish politics as much - more for the international audience? - but it's pretty exciting.
    * Several strong characters in minor parts - the Alastair Campbell figure who the PM tries to install as her adviser is especially good
    * Absolutely up to date - the main plot is about an oil company findin ga huge deposit which turns out to be partly owned by a friend of Putin, and the Ministers refer to the Ukraine invasion as a reason not to accept that
    -* The subtitles generally good but persist (as with previous Danish series) in throwing in random "fucks" to juice it up. Someone says "I really don't think it was OK how you were treated", and the subtitle is "It was fucking unfair how you were treated."
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924
    MISTY said:

Taz said:
    But 100% are fleeing from.....er......France.
    Who can blame them? They might surrender to the Russians at any moment.
  • Options
    TimT said:

Bug in the version I am seeing, it is showing two completely separate territories and some flyshit.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,251

England collapsing but then that is not news

Damn. I meant to bet on that but dozed off. My only rule of cricket betting is that if one side collapses, so will the other because it's the conditions rather than the bowlers wot dunnit.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,252
    Utter embarrassment England
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

IshmaelZ said:

YouGov

They weren't thick enough to pose for a photo, wtf was he thinking? That one photo sunk him.
    Yes the photo. Hard to believe there aren’t any photos of Clinton with at least one?

Perhaps Epstein owned a couple. Sadly he committed suicide by successfully choking himself to death with a small tissue during the one and only 24 hour period when all his 19 guards were in a weird simultaneous coma and the CCTV cameras exploded due to an attack by a divorced seagull, so we will never know
  • Options
    The island answer by the way is Sark
  • Options
    If there's no political story PB reverts to cricinfo.com
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

TimT said:

Bug in the version I am seeing, it is showing two completely separate territories and some flyshit.
    LOL.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,599

Very bad taste, and worse, as memorably enunciated by Douglas Adams.
  • Options
    Georgian people are really…. Unusual looking. I can’t work out why
  • Options
    Jimmy will be thrilled he bothered coming back to see his career out with these spineless cocks
  • Options

* It's much tauter and fast-moving than the first series, and the politicians are more aggressive to each other. Not sure this reflects Danish politics as much - more for the international audience? - but it's pretty exciting.
    * Several strong characters in minor parts - the Alastair Campbell figure who the PM tries to install as her adviser is especially good
    * Absolutely up to date - the main plot is about an oil company findin ga huge deposit which turns out to be partly owned by a friend of Putin, and the Ministers refer to the Ukraine invasion as a reason not to accept that
    -* The subtitles generally good but persist (as with previous Danish series) in throwing in random "fucks" to juice it up. Someone says "I really don't think it was OK how you were treated", and the subtitle is "It was fucking unfair how you were treated."

What was the Danish phrasing for "I really don't think it was OK how you were treated"? A "sgu" can hide quite well in rapid speech and makes the meaning a lot more brusque.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Probably the amount of Georgian red wine you've drunk
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,818
    rcs1000 said:

malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MrEd said:

MaxPB said:

MrEd said:

On the good old Johnny Depp trial, the conclusion drawn from the article is essentially juries, especially US juries, are think enough to fall for lawyers’ tactics while U.K. judges are wise enough to recognise legal tricks:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-61673676

There is, of course, another argument that says that decisions by a one person judge risk being overly influenced by the personal views of the judge.

i’m sure if the judgements were reversed (Depp won in the U.K., lost in the US), the BBC would be implying a jury decisions is the best possible course….

The trial result proves that jury trials are absolutely essential for a functioning country. Allowing old white male judges to rule on these cases is simply wrong. All she had to do was flutter her eyelashes at the judge and "she couldn't possibly be what they're suggesting".

The Depp legal team have earned their fee, though. The way they destroyed Heard on the stand was quite excruciating to watch, she admitted multiple times to lying in the British court case. One hopes the CPS make an example out of her and pursue perjury charges, she's openly admitted that she didn't pay the charity money but testified under oath that she did in the UK.
    In a way, I feel sorry for Heard but she has brought the misery on her own head. The CPS won’t do anything of the sort, not least because it would show how the Judge was completely hoodwinked by her “I’m a poor defenceless woman” as you said. The fact the BBC article didn’t even mention the fact she committed perjury in the U.K. trial shows how they want to present this ie it’s another example of how juries don’t “get” domestic violence. Expect the womens’ pressure groups to start arguing that the Depp verdict shows domestic violence trials shouldn’t be decided by juries but by judges.
    Read the Guardian's vomit-inducing take on this story. Spends about 3 nanoseconds admitting that Heard is "not entirely perfect, but who is" then spends 607 paragraphs saying Men are Evil and this is the end of Feminism and MeToo is being destroyed, and all this in the paper which hounds out any female journalists - Suzanne Moore, Hadley Freeman -who dare to question the Trans Orthodoxy
    What's been particularly telling is the lack of sympathy from the sisterhood. My wife and all of her friends were happy to see Depp win. Tim, of PB fame, once said that women are very good at spotting a phony which is why Dave struggled to win them over. That still rings true today. Even going by the Instagram Index™ it's the women I'm friends with who are liking posts about Depp winning, it cuts across politics too, not just the ones I know to be secretly right wing.

My wife's perspective is that Heard lying about being abused is going to set real victims of abuse back a lot because they will find it more difficult to be believed now. She's pretty angry about it all.
    But Ms Heard did not actually defame Mr Depp.
    The jury has said otherwise.
    Yes, but they appear to be wrong on a factual basis, whatever one thinks about Ms Heard’s unreliability.
    A judge has also said otherwise, they case didn't get thrown out, after all. She implicated him as physically abusive towards her. Whether she said directly "Johnny Depp beat me" or not is irrelevant, the implication was defamation. You're getting caught up in a technicality that doesn't exist. She lied in the editorial, she lied under oath in the UK court case and now she's been caught out in that lie and is $8m in a hole.
    $13M
    I thought it was $15m in damages (which, by the way, does not sound unreasonable given he basically hasn't worked since the article), plus she will have had to pay her lawyers millions.
    He had to pay her $2M for defaming her, so net $13M
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187

If Labour promise to put test cricket back on free to air tv and scrap the hundred, I’d vote for them.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    TimT said:

Leon said:

I’m on just my 2nd gin and tonic of the day

They are the most unexpectedly weird looking people I’ve seen, since the Argentinians
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    Today is a good summary of English cricket over the last few years
    We can bowl, but can't bat.
  • Options
    Leon said:

TimT said:

Leon said:

They are the most unexpectedly weird looking people I’ve seen, since the Argentinians
    Hoping my 5-week gig in AZ will bring me some more work in the Transcaucus, including in Georgia. Your posts and photos have made me even more determined to get there by whatever hook or crook necessary.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,818
    IshmaelZ said:

malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MrEd said:

MaxPB said:

MrEd said:

On the good old Johnny Depp trial, the conclusion drawn from the article is essentially juries, especially US juries, are think enough to fall for lawyers’ tactics while U.K. judges are wise enough to recognise legal tricks:

There is, of course, another argument that says that decisions by a one person judge risk being overly influenced by the personal views of the judge.

i’m sure if the judgements were reversed (Depp won in the U.K., lost in the US), the BBC would be implying a jury decisions is the best possible course….

The trial result proves that jury trials are absolutely essential for a functioning country. Allowing old white male judges to rule on these cases is simply wrong. All she had to do was flutter her eyelashes at the judge and "she couldn't possibly be what they're suggesting".

The Depp legal team have earned their fee, though. The way they destroyed Heard on the stand was quite excruciating to watch, she admitted multiple times to lying in the British court case. One hopes the CPS make an example out of her and pursue perjury charges, she's openly admitted that she didn't pay the charity money but testified under oath that she did in the UK.
    In a way, I feel sorry for Heard but she has brought the misery on her own head. The CPS won’t do anything of the sort, not least because it would show how the Judge was completely hoodwinked by her “I’m a poor defenceless woman” as you said. The fact the BBC article didn’t even mention the fact she committed perjury in the U.K. trial shows how they want to present this ie it’s another example of how juries don’t “get” domestic violence. Expect the womens’ pressure groups to start arguing that the Depp verdict shows domestic violence trials shouldn’t be decided by juries but by judges.
    Read the Guardian's vomit-inducing take on this story. Spends about 3 nanoseconds admitting that Heard is "not entirely perfect, but who is" then spends 607 paragraphs saying Men are Evil and this is the end of Feminism and MeToo is being destroyed, and all this in the paper which hounds out any female journalists - Suzanne Moore, Hadley Freeman -who dare to question the Trans Orthodoxy
    What's been particularly telling is the lack of sympathy from the sisterhood. My wife and all of her friends were happy to see Depp win. Tim, of PB fame, once said that women are very good at spotting a phony which is why Dave struggled to win them over. That still rings true today. Even going by the Instagram Index™ it's the women I'm friends with who are liking posts about Depp winning, it cuts across politics too, not just the ones I know to be secretly right wing.

My wife's perspective is that Heard lying about being abused is going to set real victims of abuse back a lot because they will find it more difficult to be believed now. She's pretty angry about it all.
    Yes, but they appear to be wrong on a factual basis, whatever one thinks about Ms Heard’s unreliability.
    A judge has also said otherwise, they case didn't get thrown out, after all. She implicated him as physically abusive towards her. Whether she said directly "Johnny Depp beat me" or not is irrelevant, the implication was defamation. You're getting caught up in a technicality that doesn't exist. She lied in the editorial, she lied under oath in the UK court case and now she's been caught out in that lie and is $8m in a hole.
    $13M
    Naah the 5m punitive was knocked down to 350k which is the legal max

Why the invalid award has to be made then reduced rather than not made in the first place is anyone's guess
    Shambles someone had not told them they had to put a number in if they found it proven in first case. Then as you say they could have told them the limit on punitive etc.
  • Options
    MISTYMISTY Posts: 1,594
    Pulpstar said:

We can bowl on home pitches where it swings and nibbles.

On fast true tracks or dusty sub continent turners, forget it.
  • Options
    TimT said:

Leon said:

TimT said:

Leon said:

Hoping my 5-week gig in AZ will bring me some more work in the Transcaucus, including in Georgia. Your posts and photos have made me even more determined to get there by whatever hook or crook necessary.
    It’s a fabulous part of the world and Georgia is outstanding even within that context. Just prepare for… weird-looking people

Quite friendly tho. And magnificent food and wine of course
  • Options
    Root, Bairstowe and Stokes are meant to be the grown ups. WTFH?
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,966
    Pulpstar said:

That’s what happens when you concentrate on 20 over thrashes.
  • Options
    Leon said:

TimT said:

Leon said:

TimT said:

Leon said:

It’s a fabulous part of the world and Georgia is outstanding even within that context. Just prepare for… weird-looking people

One of the people I worked with in AZ flew to Tbilisi as soon as it became clear that lockdown was headed to the USofA. Rented an apartment and rode out lockdown there.

Sometimes it pays to be single with no farm animals or pets.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,855
    Yet Lord’s were wondering why they still had 9k Day 4 tickets unsold at the start of the week…
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

If Labour promise to put test cricket back on free to air tv and scrap the hundred, I’d vote for them.
    I like the Hundred, I am going again in August
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845
    Leon said:

TimT said:

Leon said:

Aren’t the Argies a pleasing blend of German and Italian?
  • Options
    TimT said:

Leon said:

TimT said:

Leon said:

TimT said:

Leon said:

One of the people I worked with in AZ flew to Tbilisi as soon as it became clear that lockdown was headed to the USofA. Rented an apartment and rode out lockdown there.

Tho I think covid was pretty bad here in Georgia? And they had a tough lockdown

Anyway it’s over now, huzzah.

if I was 22 and looking for a real travel adventure i would totally come to the Caucasus. It reminds me oddly of SEAsia about 30 years ago. Great food, amazing cultures, a hint of danger to keep things salty, entire regions virtually unexplored, and a certain drink-all-night lawlessness

Tbilisi feels quite anarchic at night. And hedonistic - like Bangkok in the 1990s
  • Options

Leon said:

TimT said:

Leon said:

That’s exactly what I expected. But absolutely not
  • Options
    Farooq said:

What was the Danish phrasing for "I really don't think it was OK how you were treated"? A "sgu" can hide quite well in rapid speech and makes the meaning a lot more brusque.
    Agreed, but as I recall it was simply "Jeg synes ikke det var OK, hvordan man har behandlet dig". I ran it back to check, and the fuck was definitely the subtitler's embellishment. I remember the subtitling company being challenged on it before during The Killing, and they said that British audiences are so used to seeing characters swear that they had to juice it up to be credible.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

TimT said:

Leon said:

I had an Argentine boss once, who was from the polo-playing upper crust, and was a total arsehole.

But I have to admit he had a bit of a silver fox thing going.
  • Options
    Leon said:

TimT said:

Leon said:

TimT said:

Leon said:

TimT said:

Leon said:

if I was 22 and looking for a real travel adventure i would totally come to the Caucasus. It reminds me oddly of SEAsia about 30 years ago. Great food, amazing cultures, a hint of danger to keep things salty, entire regions virtually unexplored, and a certain drink-all-night lawlessness

Tbilisi feels quite anarchic at night. And hedonistic - like Bangkok in the 1990s
    I was amazed at the alcohol culture in AZ.

One night, in the deep provinces, a physician was looking forward to dining with me. Or, rather, he was hoping I'd get completely blotto with him drinking his home made 'fruit vodka'. He openly admitted that he was an alcoholic and was not intending to eat. I clearly disappointed him.

I hear the singing in Georgia is extraordinary. Have you experienced that yet?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,930
    Deleted

• Options
    Waitrose woman though has explained why the Tories will lose.

They cannot without Brexit, bring the two coalitions together. It is impossible
  • Options
    PhilPhil Posts: 1,929
    malcolmg said:

rcs1000 said:

malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MrEd said:

MaxPB said:

MrEd said:

$13M
    I thought it was $15m in damages (which, by the way, does not sound unreasonable given he basically hasn't worked since the article), plus she will have had to pay her lawyers millions.
    He had to pay her $2M for defaming her, so net $13M
    (I hate that I know this, having been avoiding this whole horribleness as much as possible.)

net $8.35million, as punitive damages are capped at $350k apparently. So it’s $10million + $350k - $2million.

Pending any appeals...
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,973

Jimmy will be thrilled he bothered coming back to see his career out with these spineless cocks

No one wants a spiney cock tbf.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Leon said:

Leon said:

TimT said:

Leon said:

Is it the Welsh bit? No, seriously, lots of Welsh emigrated there.
  • Options

Leon said:

TimT said:

Leon said:

To go by the description of a former Brazilian Ambassador to the UN, the Argies are Italian immigrants, who think they speak Spanish, think they live in Paris, would like to be English, but dress like Arabs.
  • Options
    Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

IshmaelZ said:

YouGov

Yes the photo. Hard to believe there aren’t any photos of Clinton with at least one?

Perhaps Epstein owned a couple. Sadly he committed suicide by successfully choking himself to death with a small tissue during the one and only 24 hour period when all his 19 guards were in a weird simultaneous coma and the CCTV cameras exploded due to an attack by a divorced seagull, so we will never know
    Might have been hidden cameras, but Clinton as existing or ex pres would have said NO PHOTOS EVER or the Secret Service will torture you to death and chop your body so small no part of it will ever be found. And it would have been true, and credible.
  • Options

I believe there are certain examples from the animal kingdom of spiny cocks, but I was a liberal arts major, so I’m not 100% sure.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Putting aside the hundred scrapping, the funny thing is that a pledge to reinstate test cricket on free-to-air is actually the sort of culture war thing that would smooth Keir to power.

Catnip for Torygraphers, who may not be decisive electorally, but help influence the narrative.

“Oh well, if he wants test cricket back, then he can probably be trusted with the Treasury”.

Add: this is an extension of the point made in the FT article today that Waitrose Woman actually wants conservatives to, y’know, *conserve* things like the BBC and National Trust instead of trying to destroy them.
    And RNLI, for that matter.
  • Options

Cats. Cats do.
    And with that im off oot for a while
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

TimT said:

Leon said:

Weren't they concentrated in certain parts of Patagonia, rather than just immigrating to Argentina in general?
  • Options
    TimT said:

Leon said:

TimT said:

Leon said:

TimT said:

Leon said:

TimT said:

Leon said:

I was amazed at the alcohol culture in AZ.

One night, in the deep provinces, a physician was looking forward to dining with me. Or, rather, he was hoping I'd get completely blotto with him drinking his home made 'fruit vodka'. He openly admitted that he was an alcoholic and was not intending to eat. I clearly disappointed him.

I hear the singing in Georgia is extraordinary. Have you experienced that yet?
    It’s definitely a musical place. I am living in this jammed but charming old wooden tenement in the old town and every day the housewife next door sings some Georgian songs as she works. It’s engaging

And in taxis you hear really dreamy, moody folk music

And yes wow the drinking. Obviously a Russian influence there. Chacha is the Georgian poteen. Can be lethal - literally

• Options

Remember the discussion of cats' mating habits on PB that arose from a (nominatively determined) Leon encounter with two pussies under his bar table in, I think, the Pelopponese.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

tlg86 said:

Putting aside the hundred scrapping, the funny thing is that a pledge to reinstate test cricket on free-to-air is actually the sort of culture war thing that would smooth Keir to power.

Catnip for Torygraphers, who may not be decisive electorally, but help influence the narrative.

“Oh well, if he wants test cricket back, then he can probably be trusted with the Treasury”.

Add: this is an extension of the point made in the FT article today that Waitrose Woman actually wants conservatives to, y’know, *conserve* things like the BBC and National Trust instead of trying to destroy them.
    Yes!
    I mean, it’s really not hard.
    Fuck knows what drugs the current
    government are on that they can’t see this.

I think Nadine’s face-filler may be causing brain damage, as well as slowly morphing her into Heather Mills McCartney after a heavy night.
  • Options
    TimT said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

TimT said:

Leon said:

Weren't they concentrated in certain parts of Patagonia, rather than just immigrating to Argentina in general?
    The sheepy or the miney bits? Yes, on prodding, dim memory suggests you are correct. But one never knows where Leon ends up.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

TimT said:

Leon said:

Welsh still spoken in Patagonia I believe. There's a travel book by an overrated bloke called Bruce who died of AIDS in the 90s.

Chatwin.
  • Options
    TimT said:

Leon said:

TimT said:

Leon said:

To go by the description of a former Brazilian Ambassador to the UN, the Argies are Italian immigrants, who think they speak Spanish, think they live in Paris, would like to be English, but dress like Arabs.
    And look like galumphing, flat footed hobgoblins
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

TimT said:

Leon said:

Welsh still spoken in Patagonia I believe. There's a travel book by an overrated bloke called Bruce who died of AIDS in the 90s.
    In Patagonia by Bruce Chatwin? Bought it at the time but had clean forgotten almost all the content ...
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

TimT said:

Leon said:

Chatwin.
    My understanding is that the Welsh language is dying out now, though, in those parts.
  • Options
    Leon said:

TimT said:

Leon said:

TimT said:

Leon said:

And look like galumphing, flat footed hobgoblins
    welsh blood theory completely disproven then.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,973
    Carnyx said:

Remember the discussion of cats' mating habits on PB that arose from a (nominatively determined) Leon encounter with two pussies under his bar table in, I think, the Pelopponese.
    I wonder if the female cat remembers spines are involved or if it comes a shock every time?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Zagoria. Otherwise yes
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,417
    I see a farce of a test when 17 wickets down on the first day - Is there any point to test cricket anymore when nobody can bat for longer than an episode of Eastenders?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,029

Farooq said:

Agreed, but as I recall it was simply "Jeg synes ikke det var OK, hvordan man har behandlet dig". I ran it back to check, and the fuck was definitely the subtitler's embellishment. I remember the subtitling company being challenged on it before during The Killing, and they said that British audiences are so used to seeing characters swear that they had to juice it up to be credible.
    The BBC defended that by saying that the translators' task is "not just a straight translation - it's a rewrite. Often a direct translation would be awkward and stilted and would not read well on screen."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-15781133
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,885

Carnyx said:

tlg86 said:

Yes!
    I mean, it’s really not hard.
    Fuck knows what drugs the current
    government are on that they can’t see this.

I think Nadine’s face-filler may be causing brain damage, as well as slowly morphing her into Heather Mills McCartney after a heavy night.
    Well she’s got the legless thing sorted.
  • Options
    Controversial opinion of the day: what country has the most beautiful women?

I’m going out on an unexpected limb and I’m going to say…

…. Drum roll……

…. Nepal

YES. NEPAL
  • Options
    Leon said:

…. Drum roll……

…. Nepal

YES. NEPAL

Largest no of beautiful, or beautifullest?
  • Options
    Leon said:

…. Drum roll……

…. Nepal

YES. NEPAL

What about the most beautiful men?
    (It's Sweden)
  • Options
    AslanAslan Posts: 1,673
    Leon said:

…. Drum roll……

…. Nepal

YES. NEPAL

The Baltics.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,029
    Farooq said:

Leon said:

…. Drum roll……

…. Nepal

YES. NEPAL

(It's Sweden)
    What about the country with the biggest discrepancy between male and female attractiveness?
  • Options

Carnyx said:

I wonder if the female cat remembers spines are involved or if it comes a shock every time?
    It'd be a tricky matter of experimental design, not least getting it past the ethics committee.

*realises it's almost 7 and there is some NZ white in the fridge and goes off to investigate*
  • Options
    Leon said:

…. Drum roll……

…. Nepal

YES. NEPAL

Cape Verde has a large proportion of strikingly beautiful people of both sexes (is there still two?) .I think nearly everyone is mixed race which contributes to beauty in general
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Leon said:

…. Drum roll……

…. Nepal

YES. NEPAL

(It's Sweden)
    Thought it was Finland? Tom of Finland and all that. OK, quite a bit of overlap.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

…. Drum roll……

…. Nepal

YES. NEPAL

Both. I think. Most beautiful per capita and the extremely beautifullest

Runner up countries

Ukraine
    Iceland
    Japan
    Northern Italy
    The Basters of Namibia

I’ve heard Mongolian women are GORGE… but I’ve not been there
  • Options

Farooq said:

Leon said:

…. Drum roll……

…. Nepal

YES. NEPAL

(It's Sweden)
    What about the country with the biggest discrepancy between male and female attractiveness?
    India imho
  • Options

Farooq said:

Leon said:

…. Drum roll……

…. Nepal

YES. NEPAL

(It's Sweden)
    Easy. Scotland.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

It'd be a tricky matter of experimental design, not least getting it past the ethics committee.

*realises it's almost 7 and there is some NZ white in the fridge and goes off to investigate*
    Some bloody delicious riesling on the go here. seems the wrong thing to toast her Maj but I have nothing English, and the few bottles I have from her fav wine merchants are not very summery.
  • Options
    Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

…. Drum roll……

…. Nepal

YES. NEPAL

Both. I think. Most beautiful per capita and the extremely beautifullest

Runner up countries

Ukraine
    Iceland
    Japan
    Northern Italy
    The Basters of Namibia

I’ve heard Mongolian women are GORGE… but I’ve not been there
    I was about to say Mongolia. The men are strikingly good looking too.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

…. Drum roll……

…. Nepal

YES. NEPAL

(It's Sweden)
    Thought it was Finland? Tom of Finland and all that. OK, quite a bit of overlap.
    Definitely not Finland. They aren’t Nordics
  • Options

Farooq said:

Leon said:

…. Drum roll……

…. Nepal

YES. NEPAL

(It's Sweden)
    India imho
    It's clearly Russia. The women are stunning, lean beauties, while the men tend to be scrawny teenagers that graduate to be flabby, dumpy types that age very quickly.
  • Options

Farooq said:

Leon said:

…. Drum roll……

…. Nepal

YES. NEPAL

(It's Sweden)
    India imho
    I’d say one of the East Asian countries. China or Vietnam, or so I am told by female acquaintances. I would never stoop to such vulgar quasi-racist generalisations
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924

Leon said:

…. Drum roll……

…. Nepal

YES. NEPAL

Cape Verde has a large proportion of strikingly beautiful people of both sexes (is there still two?) .I think nearly everyone is mixed race which contributes to beauty in general
    Just say "all" sexes, as that covers you.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,830

Frankly if the Tories don't sort the economy out they will lose and lose badly.

We must not underestimate a 1997 repeat

1997 happened after they did sort out the economy.
    Nor will they lose badly unless labour puts forward some credible way of sorting the economy which it won't. Nor will the tories or the lib dems or the greens
  • Options
    edited June 2022

Farooq said:

The BBC defended that by saying that the translators' task is "not just a straight translation - it's a rewrite. Often a direct translation would be awkward and stilted and would not read well on screen."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-15781133
    That's an interesting link, thanks. I'm a professional translator and my cousin is too, specialising in subtitles, so I've got some insight into it. The BBC explanation is somewhat evasive (or, as the subtitler would put it, fucking bullshit), as the specific cases that I've noticed generally have a straightforward translation that reads quite naturally, as above. The real issue is that we swear much more in English, and we use sexual terms to swear, which the Danes generally don't (that's an interesting issue in itself), to the point that they borrow English swearwords if they really want to.

So the BBC has the dilemma of whether to show a film reflecting the culture of the original country of one that will seem natural to the viewer. Personally I prefer the former (otherwise the whole world gets "translated" into British culture, which loses some of the interest), but I do see the commercial reason to adapt.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Aslan said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

…. Drum roll……

…. Nepal

YES. NEPAL

(It's Sweden)
    India imho
    It's clearly Russia. The women are stunning, lean beauties, while the men tend to be scrawny teenagers that graduate to be flabby, dumpy types that age very quickly.
    Belarus is incredible for this. The woman are possibly even more beautiful than Russians (what is it with Eastern European genes and cheekbones?) and yet the men are apathetic drunks who die at 56

Honestly. Check out the life expectancy stats for Belarus. The men die about 15 years younger or something mad
This discussion has been closed.