Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Punters think there will be a Johnson VONC but he’ll win it – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,320
    kinabalu said:

Watching Borgen anyway. Great to have it back but rather too much effing and blinding for my taste. Why oh why? ...

Yes, that's the subtitles, not in the original Danish (see discussion downthread).
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    Cookie said:

Update from Cornwall: today was the day we admitted defeat. We cannot cram everything we want to do here into a week, and aren't going to try: we'll come back next year.
    So we didn't go to Kynance Cove, instead - because, if you're middle class parents holidaying in the school holidays and love anywhere south of, ooh, Preston, one of the advantages of Cornwall is that there will inevitably be friends here at the same time - we took advantage of the presence some friends who have daughters the same age as our oldest and youngest, whom we met at Holywell Bay.
    Now I've not ticked off all of the best beaches in the world, but I have been to Miami Beach. And in almost all respects, Holywell Bay is better. Soft sand, almost devoid of seaweed, gently caresses your feet, shelving gently away below and impossibly azure sea. And the setting! Look out to sea at those little islands rising steeply out of the bay and you could be in the South Pacific. And also, you've got what you really need on a beach: tide, and a stream, which are what differentiate a proper beach from just an area of sand next to some water.
    The only respect in which Miami Beach or any of those other fancy dan beaches beat Holywell Bay - and I concede it is not a trivial one - is the water temperature. It was a perfect, cloudless day, but even so, the water didn't really get above uncomfortably cold. I am a relatively Hardy swimmer, but even so I blanched at it. There were some swimmers and surfers, mostly wetsuits, but it was not thronging. I suspect the Cornish Atlantic really takes until August to warm up to a reasonable temperature.
    Still, though, an idyllic day. Kids played happily and explored for about five hours without any signs of getting bored. As, actually, did I.

Respectfully, a strong disagree. Beaches with rivers are bad news due to agricultural runoff. Who knows what muck is getting washed off the fields directly into your bathing water?
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,363
    Update from Cornwall: today was the day we admitted defeat. We cannot cram everything we want to do here into a week, and aren't going to try: we'll come back next year.
    So we didn't go to Kynance Cove, instead - because, if you're middle class parents holidaying in the school holidays and love anywhere south of, ooh, Preston, one of the advantages of Cornwall is that there will inevitably be friends here at the same time - we took advantage of the presence some friends who have daughters the same age as our oldest and youngest, whom we met at Holywell Bay.
    Now I've not ticked off all of the best beaches in the world, but I have been to Miami Beach. And in almost all respects, Holywell Bay is better. Soft sand, almost devoid of seaweed, gently caresses your feet, shelving gently away below and impossibly azure sea. And the setting! Look out to sea at those little islands rising steeply out of the bay and you could be in the South Pacific. And also, you've got what you really need on a beach: tide, and a stream, which are what differentiate a proper beach from just an area of sand next to some water.
    The only respect in which Miami Beach or any of those other fancy dan beaches beat Holywell Bay - and I concede it is not a trivial one - is the water temperature. It was a perfect, cloudless day, but even so, the water didn't really get above uncomfortably cold. I am a relatively Hardy swimmer, but even so I blanched at it. There were some swimmers and surfers, mostly wetsuits, but it was not thronging. I suspect the Cornish Atlantic really takes until August to warm up to a reasonable temperature.
    Still, though, an idyllic day. Kids played happily and explored for about five hours without any signs of getting bored. As, actually, did I.

• Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845
    Cornwall is like a very small, overcrowded NZ.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

kinabalu said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Controversial opinion of the day: what country has the most beautiful women?

I’m going out on an unexpected limb and I’m going to say…

…. Drum roll……

…. Nepal

YES. NEPAL

What about the most beautiful men?
    (It's Sweden)
    What about the country with the biggest discrepancy between male and female attractiveness?
    Easy. Scotland.
    Are you saying that Scottish women are ugly?
    No, the other way around, sadly.
    The red hair and alabaster skin makes a lot of men look like those eyeless albino cave fish. For some reason it suits the women better. Pale and interesting types. Pheasant hair and freckles. Amy Pond.
    You wish they all could be Caledonian girls?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLpXKUIU9zs
    a memorable advert of course but not as catchy as the all time catchy ad lyrics so much that I can still recall it today

Shake n vac!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4q8inM0gKVo
    FOR MASH GET SMASH
    Best advert for anything ever in any medium was a little quarter or 8th page you used to see in the 70s. No illustration, just

Quartz Halogen headlights.

They won't make your mini look like an E Type.

Except after dark.
  • Options
    Here’s my “home” beach.
    No bugger on it, comme d’habitude.

• Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,976
    “She’ll have passed by the end of the year”

Blimey. Way to go for the jugular
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,416

kinabalu said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Controversial opinion of the day: what country has the most beautiful women?

I’m going out on an unexpected limb and I’m going to say…

…. Drum roll……

…. Nepal

YES. NEPAL

What about the most beautiful men?
    (It's Sweden)
    What about the country with the biggest discrepancy between male and female attractiveness?
    Easy. Scotland.
    Are you saying that Scottish women are ugly?
    No, the other way around, sadly.
    The red hair and alabaster skin makes a lot of men look like those eyeless albino cave fish. For some reason it suits the women better. Pale and interesting types. Pheasant hair and freckles. Amy Pond.
    You wish they all could be Caledonian girls?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLpXKUIU9zs
    a memorable advert of course but not as catchy as the all time catchy ad lyrics so much that I can still recall it today

Shake n vac!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4q8inM0gKVo
    FOR MASH GET SMASH
    what does a Mars a day do?
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Go to the Scillies. They are everything Cornwall aspires to be.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,584
    Leon said:

Unless New Zealand can boast exquisite thatched villages, medieval churches, grand aristocratic estates, ancient monasteries, tiny river valleys adorned with 14th century pubs, mystical stone circles, haunted castles, and UNESCO listed ruins of a 5000 year old industry which changed the world - which I tend to doubt - then this is fucking bollocks
    Moa Cornish exceptionalism ...
  • Options
    Leon said:

NEW: The Queen has experienced some discomfort today & has concluded with “great reluctance” that she will not attend tomorrow’s National Service of Thanksgiving at St Paul’s Cathedral.

The Queen is said to be looking forward to participating in tonight’s Beacon lighting event

She'll be passing by the end of the year

Can we not fucking speculate on the imminent death of Her Maj on the literal day of her jubilee. Thanks. Traitor
    Also, the English for "die" is "die." Not fucking pass.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Cookie said:

Respectfully, a strong disagree. Beaches with rivers are bad news due to agricultural runoff. Who knows what muck is getting washed off the fields directly into your bathing water?
    Well I take your point, but having something to dam is part of the fun. It only has to be a little stream.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,388
    Interesting to note that Mick Fealty has decided to leave Twitter after 15 years, explaining his reasons here:

https://sluggerotoole.com/2022/06/01/why-im-leaving-twitter-fifteen-years-after-i-first-jumped-into-an-unending-stream-of-news-and-tat/
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Cookie said:

30 miles off the coast?
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,478
    Alphabet_Soup said:
    Some of the more unusual looking people may be found in Havre, Montana. The original mid-19th century inhabitants were 25% escaped slaves, 25% Chinese railroad navvies, 25% native American Cree and 25% Russian. After rolling the dice for six or seven generations the current population can best be described as sui generis.
    Judging by the Wikipedia article on Havre, Montana, that description seems a bit, shall we say, "imaginative":
    As of the census[22] of 2010, there were 9,310 people, 3,900 households, and 2,293 families living in the city. The population density was 2,838.4 inhabitants per square mile (1,095.9/km2). There were 4,285 housing units at an average density of 1,306.4 per square mile (504.4/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 81.6% White, 0.4% African American, 13.0% Native American, 0.6% Asian, 0.1% Pacific Islander, 0.3% from other races, and 4.0% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.5% of the population.
    source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Havre,_Montana

The article also has an explanation for the name change.

(My mother's first teaching job was in a one-room schoolhouse in Montana, though not particularly near Havre.)
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

NEW: The Queen has experienced some discomfort today & has concluded with “great reluctance” that she will not attend tomorrow’s National Service of Thanksgiving at St Paul’s Cathedral.

The Queen is said to be looking forward to participating in tonight’s Beacon lighting event

Can we not fucking speculate on the imminent death of Her Maj on the literal day of her jubilee. Thanks. Traitor
    yes ever heard of the film- Passed Away Hard 9
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,155
    Leon said:

Indeed.

Not sure how back problems when standing for a while equates to death, but then again I'm not a doctor.

• Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Unless you are a southern preacher, or Toni Morrison or something, yes.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

I haven't. Christmas movie, is it?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Unless New Zealand can boast exquisite thatched villages, medieval churches, grand aristocratic estates, ancient monasteries, tiny river valleys adorned with 14th century pubs, mystical stone circles, haunted castles, and UNESCO listed ruins of a 5000 year old industry which changed the world - which I tend to doubt - then this is fucking bollocks
    Yeh we don’t have any of those.
    But we do have weird-as-fuck wildlife, lakes inhabited by Māori water-monsters (taniwha) and fucking hobbits.

And better wine, too.
  • Options

Here’s my “home” beach.

Very nice. But also inconveniently far from Manchester, which is a factor when choosing a holiday.
    Even in peak season, Cornwall really isn't crowded. Look at that picture I posted. Now that was when we first got there, and others arrived, but it never came close to crowded.
    Granted, some beaches - Polzeath, say - are always busy. But most aren't.
    Not as quiet as NZ, of course. But at least few other people on the beach are part of the fun. Friends to make, and so forth.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Oh no
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,784
    Ah, the grand old Georgian musical traditions live on, wonderfully!

The picturesque wine bar at the end of my derelict but adorable 18th century street in Old Tbilisi is having a birthday party, and it is full of young people, lustily singing along to…. Sex Bomb by Tom Jones and I Love You Baby
  • Options
    MattW said:

IshmaelZ said:

Cookie said:

30 miles off the coast?
    You say that like it's a bad thing.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,447
    MattW said:

Interesting to note that Mick Fealty has decided to leave Twitter after 15 years, explaining his reasons here:

https://sluggerotoole.com/2022/06/01/why-im-leaving-twitter-fifteen-years-after-i-first-jumped-into-an-unending-stream-of-news-and-tat/

Never heard of him.
  • Options

Leon said:

But we do have weird-as-fuck wildlife, lakes inhabited by Māori water-monsters (taniwha) and fucking hobbits.

And better wine, too.
    I’d love to go to NZ. I hear the landscapes are spectacular and I have major traveler friends who rave about it

But it ain’t Cornwall. And nor is Cornwall NZ.

The mix of history and landscape and people and seascape is what makes Cornwall special, and NZ does not have the history and people

But of course NZ has glaciers and Alps and wonderful lakes and Cornwall has none of that. So, a fairly poor comparison
  • Options
    Lest I sound too smug, I should admit that the tops of my feet are rather sunburned and I am currently worrying about when to intervene in the 'game' going on outside which seems to involve my youngest chasing some older boys around with a big stick.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

MattW said:

Never heard of him.
    Too late now!
  • Options

Leon said:

And better wine, too.
    Pity the moas are extinct. Now that would have been something. But the tuatara ...
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Here’s my “home” beach.

Very nice. But also inconveniently far from Manchester, which is a factor when choosing a holiday.
    Even in peak season, Cornwall really isn't crowded. Look at that picture I posted. Now that was when we first got there, and others arrived, but it never came close to crowded.
    Not as quiet as NZ, of course. But at least few other people on the beach are part of the fun. Friends to make, and so forth.
    It took you EIGHT HOURS to get there.

You could be accompanying Leon on an accordion in Tbilisi in that time.
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,733
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Sounds more like Easter.
  • Options
    Going back to an earlier discussion: Here's an observation on how acceptable language has changed. My two favorite American political novels are "All the King's Men" and "The Last Hurrah". (The first is more powerfully written; the second is still useful in understanding American politics. I honestly think I can predict about 75 percent of what Nancy Pelosi will do, just from reading it.)

Both contain the "n" word, though just once in the second. Neither contain the "c" word or the "f" word so common at this site, nor even any euphemisms for them.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

And better wine, too.
    I’d love to go to NZ. I hear the landscapes are spectacular and I have major traveler friends who rave about it

But it ain’t Cornwall. And nor is Cornwall NZ.

The mix of history and landscape and people and seascape is what makes Cornwall special, and NZ does not have the history and people

But of course NZ has glaciers and Alps and wonderful lakes and Cornwall has none of that. So, a fairly poor comparison
    But it has TUATARAS and KAKAPOS.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    MattW said:

Does anyone else use Twitter as a virtual scrapbook? - whenever i go some place with work or for pleasure I follow the twitter site - quite nostalgic to look at occasionally
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,964
    Cookie said:

Great update @Cookie! If it wasn’t for the fact that it was the UK, it could have been a @Leon post.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    Got a new motor, John. A Deere. John Deere:

• Options

kinabalu said:

Watching Borgen anyway. Great to have it back but rather too much effing and blinding for my taste. Why oh why? ...

Yes, that's the subtitles, not in the original Danish (see discussion downthread).
    Are they still making it up as they go along? I got the impression with Series 1 that they had a script conference every Monday morning and asked each other 'How on earth' (I'll spare you the effing and blinding) 'do we get out of this?'
  • Options
    TimT said:

COOL!
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    TimT said:

You applying to be a Tory candidate at the next election?

(But very nice, irrespective of that.)
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

TimT said:

Not sure that the voters here would know what a Tory is.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Here’s my “home” beach.

Also, that photo of a truly magnificent beach in NZ is notably lacking in…… anything else. Like pubs, cafes, maybe an interesting old village with a quaint church, an old Manor House with a mad new owner, some kids with a pop up lobster shack, a seafood restaurant or two, a chippy, a convenient Tesco Extra, a Roman bridge, a vulgar but cheerful boozer, I’m on about pubs again

This is the problem I have often encountered in Australia. Where I have been many times. And i am fairly sure NZ is similar

You find this extraordinary beach after a hike - deserted and glorious in the sun - and you think, Wow, what a brilliant place, let’s have a beer at the nearest pub and stare at the view

And then you go on Google maps and you find there is nothing of that sort for 4,398 miles. Absolutely nothing at all

In Cornwall the nearest pub is no more than 1.2 miles away. Anywhere

We are incredibly lucky in Europe that we have been so densely settled and civilised for so long
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,169
    Biden to resettle refugees coming through Mexico to Rwanda, er I mean Spain:

https://www.axios.com/2022/06/02/biden-summit-americas-spain-canada-immigration-refugees

I don’t imagine that some of the democratic base will like that.
  • Options
    TimT said:

Carnyx said:

TimT said:

Not sure that the voters here would know what a Tory is.
    Really? I thought it was a well-understood term in the States? Admittedly a little obsolescent.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,560
    Depressing view from Larry Elliott in the Guardian:

"Russia is winning the economic war"

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/jun/02/russia-economic-war-ukraine-food-fuel-price-vladimir-putin
  • Options
    edited June 2022

Cookie said:

Here’s my “home” beach.

Well I'm not sure I could. Manchester Airport hasn't done well in that respect of late.
    But even if I could - well, I'd enjoy myself, I'm sure, but I don't think Georgia would be as successful a family holiday as Cornwall. For me - for my family - I don't think anywhere in Europe would be.
    And I'm sure NZ is grand - if you offered me a free family holiday to NZ right now I'd take it gladly and enthusiastically - but it takes 24 hours and thousands and thousands of pounds to get there.
  • Options

Cookie said:

Great update @Cookie! If it wasn’t for the fact that it was the UK, it could have been a @Leon post.
    I've heard Leon can't stand the Cornish.
  • Options
    edited June 2022

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/jun/02/russia-economic-war-ukraine-food-fuel-price-vladimir-putin

At least we don't have to read Seamus Milne in Guardian anymore thanks to Corbyn giving him a job as press guru.

God knows what tripe he would be spouting about Putin's Russia.

• Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,522
    edited June 2022
    More prosaically than other travellers, I've been asked if I'd like to go to Ludlow for a few days. I don't know it. Is that an invitation I should a) accept, or b) decline? Thanks.

PS - not interested in how beautiful the women are, as I shall be accompanied by my own.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Andy_JS said:

MattW said:

Never heard of him.
    Founder and Editor of Slugger O Toole, which he set up amongst debates about the peace process.

Perhaps the most influential and distinguished UK-based political blog in its own community (NI). Nothing anywhere else in the UK has come close imo.

Slugger's 20th anniversary is this Sunday. It was set up to focus on NI politics and culture, and beyond as appropriate.

Worth a look.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Cookie said:

Here’s my “home” beach.

Also, that photo of a truly magnificent beach in NZ is notably lacking in…… anything else. Like pubs, cafes, maybe an interesting old village with a quaint church, an old Manor House with a mad new owner, some kids with a pop up lobster shack, a seafood restaurant or two, a chippy, a convenient Tesco Extra, a Roman bridge, a vulgar but cheerful boozer, I’m on about pubs again

This is the problem I have often encountered in Australia. Where I have been many times. And i am fairly sure NZ is similar

You find this extraordinary beach after a hike - deserted and glorious in the sun - and you think, Wow, what a brilliant place, let’s have a beer at the nearest pub and stare at the view

And then you go on Google maps and you find there is nothing of that sort for 4,398 miles. Absolutely nothing at all

We are incredibly lucky in Europe that we have been so densely settled and civilised for so long
    My beach is about 45 minutes from Auckland downtown. It’s on the other side of a range of hills populated by assorted artists, lesbian potters, maori mystics etc. It’s one of about a dozen such beaches along this stretch of coast. The Piano was filmed next door.

No tin mining though, true.
  • Options

Leon said:

And better wine, too.
    Cornish Camel Valley wines are very good!
  • Options

More prosaically than other travellers, I've been asked if I'd like to go to Ludlow for a few days. I don't know it. Is that an invitation I should a) accept, or b) decline? Thanks.

Oh god, definitely ACCEPT

The countryside is truly glorious and pretty little Ludlow is like this mini gastronomic heaven. You can have brilliant walks (with brilliant churches and castles and villages if that’s your thing) then brilliant dinners that you’ve earned

Honestly, it’s excellent. Go
  • Options

Going back to an earlier discussion: Here's an observation on how acceptable language has changed. My two favorite American political novels are "All the King's Men" and "The Last Hurrah". (The first is more powerfully written; the second is still useful in understanding American politics. I honestly think I can predict about 75 percent of what Nancy Pelosi will do, just from reading it.)

Both contain the "n" word, though just once in the second. Neither contain the "c" word or the "f" word so common at this site, nor even any euphemisms for them.

Take a look at Waugh's Scoop.

Blimey.

I cannot believe he has not been so cancelled.

• Options
    @Leon - on the subject touched on earlier of 12 year old daughters, happy to report that mine is currently tearing around outside with her sisters and two boys she appears to jave just met playing some variant on tig (or tag, or it, depending on where you're from). She has a massive smile on her face and is looking utterly unselfconscious. She hasn't wholly left childhood behind quite yet!
  • Options
    Not many American adults know what a Tory is. (A few older ones would remember that the US once had a Whig Party.)

Which is too bad, because it ruins the joke about the chicken during the American Revolution. It was a counter-agent, so naurally the Americans nicknamed it "Chicken Cacciatore".
  • Options

It's a really nice town in fantastic countryside. Go for it.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Are they still making it up as they go along? I got the impression with Series 1 that they had a script conference every Monday morning and asked each other 'How on earth' (I'll spare you the effing and blinding) 'do we get out of this?'
    Seems quite a strong plot line this time - I agree the original was a bit "what does a nice liberal do next?"
  • Options
    Anyone have a map of where all the beacons are being lit? I read something about the RICS having an "anchor chain" of beacons but couldn't find any information about where those are.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,522
    Leon said:

The countryside is truly glorious and pretty little Ludlow is like this mini gastronomic heaven. You can have brilliant walks (with brilliant churches and castles and villages if that’s your thing) then brilliant dinners that you’ve earned

Thanks - appreciated. We like good food.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109
    Leon said:

What he said. It's well worth a visit.

If you like hill walking the Clee Hills are outstanding walking country with stunning views.

If you like heritage, Stokesay, Ludlow Castle, Berrington Hall are all easy to get to.

Plenty of places to eat.

And if you just like sitting around admiring the view, there's plenty of good ones to choose.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,116

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Here’s my “home” beach.

My beach is about 45 minutes from Auckland downtown. It’s on the other side of a range of hills populated by assorted artists, lesbian potters, maori mystics etc. It’s one of about a dozen such beaches along this stretch of coast. The Piano was filmed next door.

Piha? Across the Waitakere hills? Classic. When I worked in Auckland that was about the first place I went when I bought a car. One of my NZ girlfriends had a relative with a house out that way. Stunning, but remote, although I guess only 45 minutes from the city.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Here’s my “home” beach.

Well I'm not sure I could. Manchester Airport hasn't done well in that respect of late.
    But even if I could - well, I'd enjoy myself, I'm sure, but I don't think Georgia would be as successful a family holiday as Cornwall. For me - for my family - I don't think anywhere in Europe would be.
    And I'm sure NZ is grand - if you offered me a free family holiday to NZ right now I'd take it gladly and enthusiastically - but it takes 24 hours and thousands and thousands of pounds to get there.
    Sure, but if 8 hours is your limit, pretty much all of Europe is in your compass.

Cornwall is v nice (and good to see you got to Portscatho, which is where we stay) but I just think it’s a tad overrated.
  • Options
    OK off out to see the beacon lit on Gibbet Hill.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Cookie said:

Here’s my “home” beach.

I often feel that way about the Scottish Highlands. They are sublime, extraordinary. But while they fill me with awe, they don't fill me quite with the same joy as, say, the Lake District or the Yorkshire Dales - mainly because you're never more than an hour's walk from the pub.
    Of course, this may also be a factor of what feels like home and what doesn't - and on that basis I am quite happy to concede that Gardenwalker may be stirred to joy by NZ in exactly the way I am by my own home landscapes.
  • Options
    edited June 2022

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Here’s my “home” beach.

Piha? Across the Waitakere hills? Classic. When I worked in Auckland that was about the first place I went when I bought a car. One of my NZ girlfriends had a relative with a house out that way. Stunning, but remote, although I guess only 45 minutes from the city.
    Mine is Bethell’s; Piha is next door.

The Waitakeres are an exhilarating, mystical, and sometimes spooky place to which I hope to semi-retire at some stage.

Thankfully property is not too expensive because the terrain is too hilly and the climate a bit wet for global plutes.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Cookie said:

@Leon - on the subject touched on earlier of 12 year old daughters, happy to report that mine is currently tearing around outside with her sisters and two boys she appears to jave just met playing some variant on tig (or tag, or it, depending on where you're from). She has a massive smile on her face and is looking utterly unselfconscious. She hasn't wholly left childhood behind quite yet!

Ah, enjoy, Mine are in mid teens and moody. But I love’ em and we still have a lot of fun, it’s just different now (and in some ways better, as I said - they have learned, I hope, that I can be modestly amusing even if I disappear a fair amount)
  • Options

PS - not interested in how beautiful the women are, as I shall be accompanied by my own.

Jammy sod. Go.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,625

Saw this earlier - it seems to think economic actions were supposed to immediately bring Russia to its knees and end the war to boot, which seems improbable as a prediction.
  • Options

Not many American adults know what a Tory is. (A few older ones would remember that the US once had a Whig Party.)

Which is too bad, because it ruins the joke about the chicken during the American Revolution. It was a counter-agent, so naurally the Americans nicknamed it "Chicken Cacciatore".

Saw this at a local history museum upstate, which amused me enough to take a photo.

• Options
    Does he have any support among MPs do we know? As he seems to come up a lot but I can never remember a thing about him or why he would be the answer to their problems.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,890

I'm far from sure that's accurate, and seems to be an example of reverse-justification - starting with the desired ends - "we must do a deal!" and trying to justify it. And in the process makes himself an appeaser of fascism.

For an example of how sanctions are working in the medium and long term, see: https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2022/06/everything-is-gone-russian-business-hit-hard-by-tech-sanctions/
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

https://twitter.com/marinapurkiss/status/1532312890451144704

Johnson has clearly never put his son to bed in his life

And it is the easiest, most rewarding thing in the whole of parenthood.

You know the worst bit? Realising that you are never again going to pick them up off the sofa and carry them up to bed *without waking them.*
    No, not for me. Tho that is a sweet moment: putting them to bed

For me, the terrible moment comes somewhere around 10-12 - and is in fact a sequence of moments - when they lose that perfect innocent childish unselfawareness, and the adult begins to emerge. They look at a toy, or a doll, or their favourite book - and they thrust it away. They do not need help to get to sleep. The door is shut. You hear the first troubled sigh of teenagerdom, which lies just ahead

I found it piercing, and quite saddening, but unavoidable of course, and something comes along to replace it. Sort of
    What about the moment when they realize you're not superman you're just a bloke and quite a dodgy one too?

Or hasn't that happened yet?
    For me it was the other way around. I’m serious. A deep period of mistrust gave way to “actually dad’s quite fun, if a bit unreliable”

That was a GOOD moment
    I am at that moment that you refer to upthread - the start of teenagerdom - with my eldest. It is painful, and repeatedly saddening. The world's weight is on her shoulders. She is no longer carefree, nor does she want to be.
    And then, as today, I look at her in a moment of joy, and cry actual tears of pride and awe. Quite apart from all of her more important qualities, she is just so astonishingly beautiful.
    If only she would realise it, at least a bit.
    Yes, it’s an unspoken sadness of parenting

You fall in love with this person. Your child. And then they change. Profoundly. More than any spouse might change

The experience is not unlike grief, to my mind. And it seems near universal if you dig deep enough

And then they often move away…and seem to forget all about you. This is of course what you want to a certain extent

But it’s hard for the parent

I’m not at the moving away stage yet but I can see the sadness in friends to whom it has already happened

I don't know what will happen with my daughter (now three) in her teenage years but all the horror stories I heard about babies, the terrible-twos and a threenager have turned out not to be true.

I also see many children who continue to have close relationships with their parents into adulthood, although that of course changes in nature, so we will roll with the punches and hope to come out ok the other side.
    I'm glad to hear that experience, my niece has gone from terrible two directly into threenager. She's still great fun and very cute, but I can't imagine it with Jen, she's so peaceful, barely cries, just very chill. I await my punishment for the next 5 years now!
  • Options
    Off topic, but I was astounded to learn that in 2017 only one former Scottish Lab MP stood again after having lost their seats previously. Given how many there were, and how many LDs refought 2017, that was a surprise.
  • Options
    AslanAslan Posts: 1,673
    I have just joined the party so I can vote for the next leader. (I also voted in the last Labour election). I will be voting for whoever clamps down on low skill migrants. Theresa May did a great job on non-EU migration but they are opening up the floodgates again to replace lost EU migration. They need to seriously up the earnings thresholds for both work and family.
  • Options

I'm far from sure that's accurate, and seems to be an example of reverse-justification - starting with the desired ends - "we must do a deal!" and trying to justify it. And in the process makes himself an appeaser of fascism.

For an example of how sanctions are working in the medium and long term, see: https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2022/06/everything-is-gone-russian-business-hit-hard-by-tech-sanctions/
    Thanks - will take a look - I hope you're right!
  • Options
    Leon said:

Cookie said:

Ah, enjoy, Mine are in mid teens and moody. But I love’ em and we still have a lot of fun, it’s just different now (and in some ways better, as I said - they have learned, I hope, that I can be modestly amusing even if I disappear a fair amount)
    "When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years.”
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    Just turned on the BBC to see a bloke who served on HMY Britannia being asked "when was the last time you met the Queen?"

"Well, just a few days before she was decommissioned - err, the yacht was decommissioned"...
  • Options

Yes, I think the "n" word has become so synonymous with vicious racism that it's almost like using a Nazi insult for Jews, unless used ironically by black people. But generally language has coarsened - maybe a subtle effect of social media, as you're less likely to move only in "polite" circles.

I loved All the King's Men (the film isn't bad either - have you seen it?). Don't know The Last Hurrah - if you recommend it I might try it.
  • Options
    rottenburough said:

Blimey.

Good example. A prudent teacher wouldn't assign it in an American high school class, nor even a college class -- though it is a wonderful novel.

(It may have given me a distorted picture of journalism in the UK.)
  • Options
    edited June 2022

Having read it, his analysis seems quite peculiar. He's going out of his way imo to see half-empty glasses.

What do you think?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,890
    Incidentally, for anyone into civil engineering, an animation on how HS2's Colne Viaduct is being built:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LR6Ps_SfRZY
  • Options

rottenburough said:

Blimey.

Good example. A prudent teacher wouldn't assign it in an American high school class, nor even a college class -- though it is a wonderful novel.

Through the plashy fen passes the questing vole ...
  • Options

rottenburough said:

Blimey.

MattW said:

Having read it, his analysis seems quite peculiar.
    Unsurprising.
    He’s one of those consistently wrong people, I believe he was pro-Brexit too.
  • Options
    edited June 2022

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Here’s my “home” beach.

Sure, but if 8 hours is your limit, pretty much all of Europe is in your compass.

Cornwall is v nice (and good to see you got to Portscatho, which is where we stay) but I just think it’s a tad overrated.
    Speaking as a Cornishman, I tend to agree. I’m not sure why Brits like Cookie rave QUITE so much about Cornwall as a holiday destination. The weather is just too unreliable, and it is too busy in school hols

Cornwall is actually, to my mind, better as a place to live than to holiday

Safe, sometimes beautiful, mild, low crime, friendly, really nice food now, nice people, lots of culture and history, great pubs, pretty towns and villages, sufficiently far from London that it has a vivid life of its own, and unexpectedly varied - the difference between a north coast village like Zennor and a south coast valley like the Helford - a couple of dozen miles away - is astonishing

But if I had just two weeks precious summer holiday with my family, I would not go to often-rainy Cornwall
  • Options
    NickPalmer - I would definitely recommend "The Last Hurrah" -- but then I am a poltical junkie. The movie isn't bad, either. (I did, just recently, see "All the King's Men" and thought it was an interesting, but flawed, adaption of the novel.)
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    London is buzzing tonight. Just left a party at Hackney Wick. London in June at the Jubilee weekend is a special place to be. Nowhere quite like it. We’re lucky to have London.
  • Options
    edited June 2022

rottenburough said:

Blimey.

Read it in the mid 70s. Never thought I'd go to Djibouti when I read it (for some reason I assumed that the fictional nation of Ishmaelia was Djibouti), but less then 8 years later I was stepping off a plane there.

I thought it was a great read, but frankly, I cannot remember much about it other than the journalists made up their war reporting from the hotel bar.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,306
    Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Is it true that Anglo-Saxons are the least attractive ethnic group?

Absolutely not.

Pope Gregory the Great famously said, of the Anglo Saxon slaves in a Rome market, when told they were “Angles” - “not Angles, but angels!” - because they were so blonde and well built and beautiful. It is supposedly one reason he sent Saint Augustine to convert the British Isles

Sadly the Brits have got fat, like so many other nationalities
    Beauty is basically health. Multi-generational good nutrition (and current good nutrition) leads to well developed bone structure, good teeth, healthy hair, brows and lashes. Good skin.

Then you have racial characteristics, which make some forms of beauty starkly different. For example, the aboriginal people of Australia don't typically conform to Western ideals of beauty, but it's a function of their adaptation to living in Australia.

In Britain we're a very mixed bag racially (even the 'indigenous' white population is a mixture of German, French, Celtic etc.), which is cool, but there's an issue with the national diet being lacking that does affect teeth imo. It's the same in most Western countries, but here it's been going on for longer.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

London is buzzing tonight. Just left a party at Hackney Wick. London in June at the Jubilee weekend is a special place to be. Nowhere quite like it. We’re lucky to have London.

I had no idea we had such flagrant hipsters on this board.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Having read it, his analysis seems quite peculiar. He's going out of his way imo to see half-empty glasses.

What do you think?
    It is the usual appeaser nonsense. The Rouble is a potemkin currency right now. It has kept its value due to oil prices and surging central bank interest rates. Both those things are throttling the non-hydrocarbon economy. Russia cannot tolerate for 12 months plus.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Aslan said:

I have just joined the party so I can vote for the next leader. (I also voted in the last Labour election). I will be voting for whoever clamps down on low skill migrants. Theresa May did a great job on non-EU migration but they are opening up the floodgates again to replace lost EU migration. They need to seriously up the earnings thresholds for both work and family.
    Obviously I think you are wrong, dead wrong about immigration.

But it is indeed bat-shit that flower arrangers et al are now allowed in under our “new improved” immigration measures.

I’m willing to bet anyone that there is no quantifiable difference in skill between our former European influx, and the new crowd who tend to come from Nigeria, the Philippines, and the Indian sub-continent.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,306

Blessing in disguise.
  • Options

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Is it true that Anglo-Saxons are the least attractive ethnic group?

Absolutely not.

Pope Gregory the Great famously said, of the Anglo Saxon slaves in a Rome market, when told they were “Angles” - “not Angles, but angels!” - because they were so blonde and well built and beautiful. It is supposedly one reason he sent Saint Augustine to convert the British Isles

Sadly the Brits have got fat, like so many other nationalities
    Beauty is basically health. Multi-generational good nutrition (and current good nutrition) leads to well developed bone structure, good teeth, healthy hair, brows and lashes. Good skin.

Then you have racial characteristics, which make some forms of beauty starkly different. For example, the aboriginal people of Australia don't typically conform to Western ideals of beauty, but it's a function of their adaptation to living in Australia.

In Britain we're a very mixed bag racially (even the 'indigenous' white population is a mixture of German, French, Celtic etc.), which is cool, but there's an issue with the national diet being lacking that does affect teeth imo. It's the same in most Western countries, but here it's been going on for longer.
    Yes. The fact that the industrial revolution started in Britain has brought many benefits, it gave us the biggest empire in history and made us the richest country on earth for more than a century, and it is the reason the world speaks English now (which is a huge convenience we take for granted)

But it has also had baleful consequences for us. One is the ruination of so many British landscapes, another is bad British food (thankfully now being fixed), related to that is bad British health, esp teeth
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,787
    MattW said:

What do you think?
    There is a noticeable 'a deal will be done' mindset going on here.
    It is a bit like Brexit. Everyone keeps saying 'a deal will be done', etc etc.
    I am sceptical.
    Bit, if you look at Putin's regime, its fucked. Its a bunch of old men. There's no succession planning. He is quite happy to just grind through tens of thousands of men, indefinetly. Because ultimately that is what dictators do.
    At present it is impoverished military contractors, but they don't go on indefinetly, and they will need to move on to conscripts.
    If you look at Putins rule, things go bad when there are monumental errors, like the sinking of the Kursk.
    The war in Ukraine will become one such error.
    ... eventually people in Russia won't go along with it.
    Any 'deal' with Russia ultimately shores up his regime and rule; it isn't a good idea.
  • Options

Aslan said:

Obviously I think you are wrong, dead wrong about immigration.

But it is indeed bat-shit that flower arrangers et al are now allowed in under our “new improved” immigration measures.

I’m willing to bet anyone that there is no quantifiable difference in skill between our former European influx, and the new crowd who tend to come from Nigeria, the Philippines, and the Indian sub-continent.
    I think that isn't quite true, because the flower arrangers need to earn 26k a year. That's way too low, but it is still a long way above Romanian beggars and Bulgarian strawberry pickers.
This discussion has been closed.