Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Policeman and The Lawyer – politicalbetting.com

123457»

Comments

• Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,844

EPG said:

AlistairM said:

The EU have got through a new sanctions package on Russia. They have done it by not stopping the oil. Isn't the EU marvellous?

https://twitter.com/NaomiOhReally/status/1531394254836224003

You can blame the Brexiteers' favourite populist-nationalist friend, Hungary.
    They’re a convenient scapegoat for other member states.
    Seen plenty of brexiteers criticize hungry not so many euphiles
  • Options
    An argument about IP addresses used to access this site was used the other day, as evidence of being "dodgy".

I use iCloud Private Relay, which I think might even be turned on by default now. This hides my IP address, do your worst
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    nico679 said:

Harry Cole
    @MrHarryCole
    ·
    24m
    My take on where the leadership speciation is tonight..

Can reveal PM plotting joint speech on economy with Sunak in coming weeks.. tie together growth push with deregulation package - including massive post-Brexit insurance reforms...

Johnson doesn’t get it . No ones interested in hearing what the clown has to say anymore . It all looks rather desperate , Johnson , the Norma Desmond of no 10.
    True, but taking seriously what greasy Harry is saying (which is hard after he shredded his credibility over beergate) what long term damage could be done to economy by someone in power being so short termist they are literally looking to survive June?

What is the inherent vice in growth push when you (not our St Bart apart) would rather inflation came right down asap, and deregulation and insurance reforms? 🤔
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Love Islands coming and Tasha from thirsk is bloody maftin

Just googled.
    We are, for once, in total agreement.
    What's more. I wouldn't have to make small talk.
    🙄 . .
    You may jest. But I did once date a deaf Japanese girl. We only communicated in writing.
    A bit of her English and my kanji. We somehow managed to pick each other up on barmats.
    If there is a strong enough will there's a way.
    I fervently hope she's OK now.
    I really liked her.
    Handy with your kanji 🤣
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,331

Wow. Interesting stuff. I was a bit of a wargamer back in my teen years. Minifigs anyone?

I don't get how you combine board game with live role play though?

The games are turn-based, and everyone submits orders to the gamemasters, who adjust the maps accordingly - if China takes advantage of the distraction to invade Taiwan, for instance, that will be resolved as one part of the turn while other things are happening all over the world - and perhaps beyond.

In a previous version of this game (which you can see a video about on the site), the aliens settled on the moon, built a base, and sent out negotiating teams to the human governments, who had to (a) decide whether the alins were peaceful and (b) try to use their scientific advantage to gain advantage in power struggles on earth - if you imagine Trump or Putin being offered super-technology to make themselves nearly invincible, are you sure they'd refuse?

In that game, one of the countries which felt that its rivals were getting an unfair advantage nuked the alien moonbase. Which was unfortunate, as the aliens had in fact come in peace to see whether humanity were ready for galactic friendship.

Is the scenario similar here? Who knows? I've not got my briefing yet, nor have the other 199 players. Can't wait!
    I may be being thick - but where is the live role play in that? In sounds a bit like a massive version of Diplomacy?
    In a way. But say you're an alien, coming in peace, or not. You need to judge how your blandishments will be accepted, and it's a fair bet that the other players will be more impressed if you're a convincing alien than if you just say "I've come with some science secrets, mates, d'ya want them?" - even if your sibilant hisses are double-dealing, they're interesting enough to play along with.

But it's the secret victory conditions that make these games more than the role-playing. In Diplomacy, we all know what every wants - 18 supply centres. Here, maybe they're after power? Science? Friendship? Resources? And do all the aliens want the same? One trick is to misdirect, seemingly seeking one advantage, and getting the one you really care about instead. Another is to be perfectly honest - but then how do you persuade them?
  • Options

An argument about IP addresses used to access this site was used the other day, as evidence of being "dodgy".

I use iCloud Private Relay, which I think might even be turned on by default now. This hides my IP address, do your worst

VPN is not an issue CHB, some however used or claimed to use vpn's where the ip resolved to a compromised address used by spammers. A legitimate VPN would not do so. Either there VPN isnt legitimate or their core pc is compromised. When told this they went....I use a vpn get over it. Many people here probably do....we don't end up with posts coming from known troll or scam ranges however.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

In the still unlikely event Boris were to lose a party VONC (and what a dramatic turnaound that would be from the triumph of 3 years ago), he presumably would stay on as PM for some time until a successor as Leader was clear, so he should still beat May's tenure as PM so long as the party does not unite behind a single candidate right away. 2 more months would see him past her.

I'm sure that he will be delighted.
    A man so petty he apparently was concerned, as an adult, that Cameron did better than him at university, and even felt the need to pen childish insults about him (girly swot) on official papers? Yes, I think he is exactly the sort who would be sincerely delighted to last longer than May.
    He really wont want to go anywhere till he is past Cameron. Thats another 3 and some years. Yuck.
    Typical public school low key bullying and hierarchy entitlement bollocks
    Yeah? Nobody like that at all at your poor school, poorboi? rly?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Pagan2 said:

VPN is not an issue CHB, some however used or claimed to use vpn's where the ip resolved to a compromised address used by spammers. A legitimate VPN would not do so. Either there VPN isnt legitimate or their core pc is compromised. When told this they went....I use a vpn get over it. Many people here probably do....we don't end up with posts coming from known troll or scam ranges however.
    Are the Russian bot farms so tight not to pay for commercial VPNs to bolt onto their comprised machines?
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

Are the Russian bot farms so tight not to pay for commercial VPNs to bolt onto their comprised machines?
    Do commercial vpn's accept rubles?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,204
    Pagan2 said:

Wow. Interesting stuff. I was a bit of a wargamer back in my teen years. Minifigs anyone?

I don't get how you combine board game with live role play though?

The games are turn-based, and everyone submits orders to the gamemasters, who adjust the maps accordingly - if China takes advantage of the distraction to invade Taiwan, for instance, that will be resolved as one part of the turn while other things are happening all over the world - and perhaps beyond.

In a previous version of this game (which you can see a video about on the site), the aliens settled on the moon, built a base, and sent out negotiating teams to the human governments, who had to (a) decide whether the alins were peaceful and (b) try to use their scientific advantage to gain advantage in power struggles on earth - if you imagine Trump or Putin being offered super-technology to make themselves nearly invincible, are you sure they'd refuse?

In that game, one of the countries which felt that its rivals were getting an unfair advantage nuked the alien moonbase. Which was unfortunate, as the aliens had in fact come in peace to see whether humanity were ready for galactic friendship.

Is the scenario similar here? Who knows? I've not got my briefing yet, nor have the other 199 players. Can't wait!
    The aliens should always be nuked, when has an advanced civillisation met a less advanced one and that has turned out well....we could ask the inca's I guess or the american indians...or the africans. Isn't the saying those who don't learn from history are doomed to reapeat it so if a an advanced civilliastion turns up kill it with extreme predjudice
    Vietnam?
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Point is if RCS told me my posts were coming from a know compromised ip or an ip in the range used by scammers. I would be going wtf and checking it out. Those it has been pointed out to however have just handwaved and gone shucks I use a vpn get over it
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

I just don't understand this, you can post all day for kopeks on an anonymous PAYG sim card so why would anyone be arsed with compromised VPNs and shit? It might make sense if you are a spammer sending out a trillion messages a day about V**gra (prolly not worth the bother now its gone generic. allegedly) but if not whats tf point?
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Many accept crypto.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,930
    edited May 2022
    IshmaelZ said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

In the still unlikely event Boris were to lose a party VONC (and what a dramatic turnaound that would be from the triumph of 3 years ago), he presumably would stay on as PM for some time until a successor as Leader was clear, so he should still beat May's tenure as PM so long as the party does not unite behind a single candidate right away. 2 more months would see him past her.

A man so petty he apparently was concerned, as an adult, that Cameron did better than him at university, and even felt the need to pen childish insults about him (girly swot) on official papers? Yes, I think he is exactly the sort who would be sincerely delighted to last longer than May.
    He really wont want to go anywhere till he is past Cameron. Thats another 3 and some years. Yuck.
    Theres people like it everywhere. But given Cameron and Johnson are both famously public school boys and Bullingdon types and from the well to do echelons of society i dont think criticism of public school attitudes and the sense of entitlement is completely out of left field
  • Options

I hope the TV coverage is better than recently for the Glasto. I like the line ups on the main stages,
    as I look down the list much to peak my interest.

RUFUS WAINWRIGHT: 13:45 – 14:45
    KENDRICK LAMAR: 21:45 – 23:15

LORDE: 19:30 – 20:45

ELBOW: 17:45 – 18:45

DIANA ROSS: 16:00 – 17:15

HERBIE HANCOCK: 14:00 – 15:00
    FOALS: 22:30 – 23:45

ST VINCENT: 20:30 – 21:30

IDLES: 18:45 – 19:45

SUPERGRASS: 17:15 – 18:15
    PET SHOP BOYS: 21:45 – 23:15

YEARS & YEARS: 19:45 – 20:45
    PRIMAL SCREAM: 22:30 – 23:45
    CHARLI XCX: 21:30 – 22:45
    THE AVALANCHES: 19:45 – 20:45

But on the other hand, that’s only because I listen to a lot of music from before my time - overall this does look like it’s been put together by someone born mid eighties?

https://www.nme.com/news/music/glastonbury-festival-2022-stage-set-times-full-line-up-3236490

I hope the TV coverage is better than recently for the Glasto. I like the line ups on the main stages,

But on the other hand, that’s only because I listen to a lot of music from before my time - overall this does look like it’s been put together by someone born mid eighties?

https://www.nme.com/news/music/glastonbury-festival-2022-stage-set-times-full-line-up-3236490

it's pique not peak, and while i'm here, en masse and not on mass

That lot leaves me cold. I thought Diana Ross was dead? the closest I have ever come to fame was talking to her on the phone. I'd pay £20 to hear Lorde for 75 minutes. Otherwise, what?
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,006

EPG said:

AlistairM said:

The EU have got through a new sanctions package on Russia. They have done it by not stopping the oil. Isn't the EU marvellous?

Up to a point, but they loudly wanted this, and not many other member states took the credit. It might be antigravity 5d chess, or it might be what it looks like.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Theres people like it everywhere. But given Cameron and Johnson are both famously public school boys and Bullingdon types and from the well to do echelons of society i dont think criticism of public school attitudes and the sense of entitlement is completely out of left field
    Disagree, c**tdom is fairly evenly distributed. Bullingdonism is self-selected, public schoolism less so.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Technically speaking iCloud Private Relay is not a VPN but I take your point
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

By the way, do you all remember the Australian elections, and perhaps regretting not staying up to see the outcome? They're STILL counting!

https://www.abc.net.au/news/elections/federal/2022/results?filter=all&sort=az&state=all

Two seats to go, and Labor has made it to a majority of 1...

In the meantime arch conservative Peter Dutton was elected today as the new Liberal Party leader after Scott Morrison's resignation and thus also Leader of the Opposition

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-61628713.amp
    Ah so they're onto the Ian Duncan Smith era already, another 9 or so years of Labor then
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

No but you don't post from a compromised ip regardless and if you were told you were you would find out why and fix it CHB
  • Options

@MoonRabbit are you a Love Island fan?

Who isn’t? 🥹
    Not me. But I know a person who was on it in the past
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

No but you don't post from a compromised ip regardless and if you were told you were you would find out why and fix it CHB
    That's the first compliment I think you've ever given me
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,413
    IshmaelZ said:

That lot leaves me cold. I thought Diana Ross was dead? the closest I have ever come to fame was talking to her on the phone. I'd pay £20 to hear Lorde for 75 minutes. Otherwise, what?
    Seems a long time to spend hearing one song.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Are you a Russian bloke? You're like the most pro Russian guy here, just curious
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,959
    dixiedean said:

It's all of a piece.
    You de-professionalise the Public Sector.
    Then faux outrage when the Passport Office and DVLA are useless.
    It worked in Further Education.
    Surprise when we have a skills shortage.
    Then privatise.
    Leading to thousands of private sector management consultants at twice the price.
    And your average frontline worker on zero hours contracts.

Yes, but are there any disadvantages?
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

That's the first compliment I think you've ever given me
    Shrugs I dont really hate anyone, I can be somewhat blunt when I think people are wrong is all. I don't plan to apologise for that
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,576
    edited May 2022
    Maybe it's time for us to start describing these VONC ballots as "leadership spills" like they do in Australia.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

I will probably go to my deathbed wondering what point you think you are making there. Are you sure you don't have a rock dust deficit?
  • Options

EPG said:

AlistairM said:

That's true - but they have also opposed pretty much every sanction.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

EPG said:

AlistairM said:

That's true - but they have also opposed pretty much every sanction.
    hungarians have always been contrary cf open all hours for arkwrights hungarian nephew nods
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,150

Westminster Voting Intention (29 May):

Labour 43% (+3)
    Conservative 36% (+5)
    Liberal Democrat 10% (-4)
    Green 5% (–)
    Scottish National Party 3% (-1)
    Reform UK 2% (-1)
    Other 2% (–)

Changes +/- 25 May

Labour at 1997

Labour 11 short of a majority re electoral calculus even on those figures
    How many times a week do I have to tell HYUFD that UNS is a mirage? It seems you have joined his club.

If Labour were on 43 and Cons on 36, I would be more than shocked if there was not a Labour majority and a reasonably comfortable one. The reality is, I doubt they are anywhere near 43%.
  • Options
    "California needs a recession
    Its progressive rulers deserve a rude awakening
    Joel Kotkin"

https://unherd.com/2022/05/california-needs-a-recession/
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Joel Kotkin"

"For years California has been severely underperforming its main rivals — Texas, Washington, Arizona and Utah — in construction, manufacturing and professional and business services. Over the past decade, roughly 80% of all jobs created in California paid below the median income, creating an ever-expanding working class in low-end service industries."
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,204
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

I will probably go to my deathbed wondering what point you think you are making there. Are you sure you don't have a rock dust deficit?
    Pet Shop boys will probably steal the show again. Even on "Other Stage".

I'd pay good money for Robert Plant and Wolf Alice. Otherwise, hmmm....
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Joel Kotkin"

"For years California has been severely underperforming its main rivals — Texas, Washington, Arizona and Utah — in construction, manufacturing and professional and business services. Over the past decade, roughly 80% of all jobs created in California paid below the median income, creating an ever-expanding working class in low-end service industries."
    I was watching a video yesterday about the failure of the high speed rail line in California. Staggering political mismanagement e.g putting into the referendum (whose exact terms are legally binding under Californian law and can't be amended piece-meal) things like the average speed of the train must exceed 240 mph....which not even the Japanese or Chinese bullet trains can achieve over similar journey types and even if you could magically be better would require you to run trains at ultra high speed in certain sections which would mean incredible cost.
  • Options
    PensfoldPensfold Posts: 191
    What Cyclefree doesn't tell us is who is on the interveiw panel for the National Crime Agency job. Presumably the interview panel are all senior civil servants. Is Cyclefree claiming they would allow themselves to be brow beaten?
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Joel Kotkin"

I was watching a video yesterday about the failure of the high speed rail line in California. Staggering political mismanagement e.g putting into the referendum (whose exact terms are legally binding under Californian law and can't be amended piece-meal) things like the average speed of the train must exceed 240 mph....which not even the Japanese or Chinese bullet trains can achieve over similar journey types and even if you could magically be better would require you to run trains at ultra high speed in certain sections which would mean incredible cost.
    Oh, the Californian referendum (i.e. "ballot proposition") system is completely b0rked.

Over the years, they've had ballot propositions:

1. Insisting taxes don't rise
    2. That the State doesn't run a deficit (ever)
    3. That certain parts of the budget don't get cut

It's a total shit show, which results in the State running insane surpluses when times are good ($95bn surplus this year!), but then having to cleave the education budget 50% in a year when the economy falls into recession, because even though they had a massive surplus the previous year, they can't spend it, they can't raise taxes, and they can only cut a very limited number of line items on the budget.

Those problems aren't the consequence of a "woke" administration (Newsom is pretty moderate), they're the consequence of an electorate voting for a series of contradictory propositions, that politicians are then bound by.

And, fwiw, when the next recession comes, unless the voters realise that they have set up a series of impossible and self defeating goals, then all that will happen is a different set of politicians with a different hue run up against the madness of the ballot proposition system.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,193

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Joel Kotkin"

Have you seen Brightline in Florida? Not exactly high speed (max 120mph) but building new private routes with premium service:

https://www.gobrightline.com/

They’ll also ferry you door-to-door with integrated rideshare at both ends,

It’s mostly on existing track, but they are putting billions into dualling, new bridges and tunnels and so on.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Joel Kotkin"

Oh, the Californian referendum (i.e. "ballot proposition") system is completely b0rked.

Over the years, they've had ballot propositions:

1. Insisting taxes don't rise
    2. That the State doesn't run a deficit (ever)
    3. That certain parts of the budget don't get cut

It's a total shit show, which results in the State running insane surpluses when times are good ($95bn surplus this year!), but then having to cleave the education budget 50% in a year when the economy falls into recession, because even though they had a massive surplus the previous year, they can't spend it, they can't raise taxes, and they can only cut a very limited number of line items on the budget.

Those problems aren't the consequence of a "woke" administration (Newsom is pretty moderate), they're the consequence of an electorate voting for a series of contradictory propositions, that politicians are then bound by.

And, fwiw, when the next recession comes, unless the voters realise that they have set up a series of impossible and self defeating goals, then all that will happen is a different set of politicians with a different hue run up against the madness of the ballot proposition system.
    Trusting people with referendums, terrible idea......
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150

Westminster Voting Intention (29 May):

Labour 43% (+3)
    Conservative 36% (+5)
    Liberal Democrat 10% (-4)
    Green 5% (–)
    Scottish National Party 3% (-1)
    Reform UK 2% (-1)
    Other 2% (–)

Changes +/- 25 May

Labour at 1997

Labour 11 short of a majority re electoral calculus even on those figures
    How many times a week do I have to tell HYUFD that UNS is a mirage? It seems you have joined his club.

If Labour were on 43 and Cons on 36, I would be more than shocked if there was not a Labour majority and a reasonably comfortable one. The reality is, I doubt they are anywhere near 43%.
    UNS isn't perfect but it's a better predictor than the alternatives people here have come up with from time to time, like believing constituency polling or making up theories that would make the thing we want to be true true.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Point is if RCS told me my posts were coming from a know compromised ip or an ip in the range used by scammers. I would be going wtf and checking it out. Those it has been pointed out to however have just handwaved and gone shucks I use a vpn get over it
    If you're using a VPN then it's probably not worth your time worrying about which blacklists it's on, unless you're getting blocked from sites you want use or you're trying to send email from it or something.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,341
    Pensfold said:

What Cyclefree doesn't tell us is who is on the interveiw panel for the National Crime Agency job. Presumably the interview panel are all senior civil servants. Is Cyclefree claiming they would allow themselves to be brow beaten?

The interview panel can be overruled and already has been. The story so far is that the final two candidates were interviewed by the Home Secretary but Boris later intervened to reject them both:-

Boris Johnson is trying to shoehorn in the Scotland Yard chief who presided over the disastrous VIP child sex abuse inquiry as head of the National Crime Agency, Britain’s equivalent of the FBI.

Lord Hogan-Howe is still being considered for director-general of the NCA even though he failed to make it into the final round of candidates. In a move likely to raise questions of cronyism, No 10 is understood to have knocked back two highly qualified police chiefs interviewed by Priti Patel, the home secretary.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/boris-johnson-backs-lord-hogan-howe-to-run-national-crime-agency-pwqjvhjxw (£££)

In unrelated news, Lord Hogan-Howe backed Boris in the Conservative leadership campaign in 2019.
  • Options
    Lord's faces embarrassment of 20,000 empty seats for Test match
    England's match against New Zealand is specially dedicated to the Queen's Platinum Jubilee and marks the start of the Stokes-McCullum era

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2022/05/30/exclusive-lords-face-embarrassment-20000-empty-seats-test-match/ (£££)

Expensive seats and bad England test form. Oh, and this from the Telegraph:-

There has been no apparent surge in interest since the MCC announced last month that floral decorations and bunting around the Home of Cricket will be swathed in the colours of the flag during the June 2-6 Test.

• Options
    Boris Johnson slams French officials as Champions League final row escalates
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2022/05/30/boris-johnson-hits-french-officials-row-liverpool-fans-treatment/ (£££)
  • Options
    New thread.
This discussion has been closed.