Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Johnson trails Starmer by some margin on favourability – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,603
    Becoming tedious to record, but another blatant lie.

https://twitter.com/KayBurley/status/1529724230136471552
    A windfall tax announcement a day after the Sue Gray report? 🤔

"We don't control the timing of that" says Downing Street Chief of Staff
    @SteveBarclay

Do the Tories take us for fools … ?
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,934

Apols if seen, and Election maps uk teasing a 'particularly spicy' Redfield at 5, usually from them meaning big Labour lead
    Westminster voting intention:

LAB: 38% (+1)
    CON: 32% (-2)
    LDEM: 13% (+2)
    GRN: 8% (+1)

via @KantarPublic, 19 - 23 May
    Chgs. w/ Apr
    https://t.co/tbuWdJkYCg
    SNP and Reform 3%

Conservatives sub 30% would not be a surprise

They are committing hari-kari at present

Hopefully it will push the letters over the 54
    It eill be the first post Gray anyway abd give a hint as to which way VI is still being affected by new developments - time to go or wasnt that bad?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897
    edited May 2022
    Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Andy_JS said:

Johnson in serious trouble now: David Simmonds and John Baron have never called for him to go before.

Interesting.

MPs will be taking soundings from constituents which I suspect will be absolutely dire.

I reckon opinion polls will also be bad for the tories in coming weeks. That Kantar this morning, with an increase in Labour's lead, was before Sue Gray.
    I think you have a very valid point

Parliament goes into recess tomorrow until after the platinum jubilee, and mps will not only be at their constituencies but no doubt mixing at various parties (the irony) and getting it full on from angered voters (many loyal) and when they return, gather together and hopefully will decide to do the only decent and honest thing, and vote him out office

The focus on Partygate was yesterday, that was the "climax" that had been built up to. Realistically every day that passes now is a day where it slips down the agenda and MPs will be talking to constituents who have progressively less and less to say about Parties and more and more to say about Cost of Living and other issues instead.
    'Liked' by Sandpit who lives in the Middle East and has no finger on the pulse of the nation, nor I suspect do you.

Until or unless Johnson is removed this will not 'go away'. It's a cancer and it's eating away your party.
    Don’t worry, everyone abroad was already wondering why the UK is eating itself over such ‘parties’, and now they’ve seen the photos are even more bemused with the whole thing.

Where’s the DJ, the strippers with the pouring tequila, and the guy ‘powdering his nose’ in the corner of the room?

Meanwhile, there’s still a war in Ukraine, petrol is £1.75 a litre, and general inflation 9%.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,951
    Nigelb said:

Yes. Yes they do.

Not sure this can be said too many times: imagine a journalist asking the PM in 2020 whether leaving dos were allowed in lockdown and imagine the only possible response. It’s bad enough he’s taking us for fools - we don’t have to turn into them.
    https://twitter.com/jonlis1/status/1529538414537850880

BoZO has been laughing at the people who vote for him his entire career
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Meeks tweets on Simmonds:

Again, previously cool rather than icy or hostile. A little surprising.

NB David Simmonds is Boris Johnson’s constituency next door neighbour.
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    Nigelb said:

@SteveBarclay

Well, I suppose they could announce it next week and get criticised for doing it while the House is in recess...
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,383

The cost of living crisis is real, for all us.

If the the egg and bacon brigade are struggling…

TBH I blame the recent poor performances of the team - who wants to see England thrashed in three days (assuming we bowl first)? Other than Scots of course
    That could be the answer to the ECB's prayers. Is there a test ground in Glasgow?
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,386
    IshmaelZ said:

TBH I blame the recent poor performances of the team - who wants to see England thrashed in three days (assuming we bowl first)? Other than Scots of course
    Protest at scrapping the Eton-Harrow and Varsity matches.

My own school has been barred from Lords since 1906 for trashing the pavilion.
    Wow, was your school Approved?
  • Options
    Provenance unknown...

Breaking :
    Nazanin Ratcliffe may decide to stand as a parliamentary candidate in Johnson's Uxbridge & Ruislip Seat at the next General Election in order to get rid of Johnson once and for all !!

https://twitter.com/Bluddybrilliant/status/1529759994601684995
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,197
    Applicant said:

Apparently the Hundred ticket sales are piss poor.
    Good. Its shit. We already have a thriving, successful, well understood evening bash into its 20th season, with well known sides. Want more kids watching cricket? Bite the bullet and get the Vitality Blast on BBC and test cricket back on C4.
    One problem is if Hundred fails it could bust the ECB. They have guaranted £300m of funding, with the hope they recoup all of it via tv, ticket sales and merch. Even last season, that was boosted by being new and coming out of lockdown it was something you could do on a nice summer evening, it lost a load of money.
    It'll only be the smaller counties that get sacrificed.
    Oddly I suspect the ECB would not mind that outcome. There seems to be a desire to get to 8 to 10 top sides, rather than 18 counties.

When the championship split, the aim was that Div 1 would become much stronger and Div 2 of a lower standard. I think its happened to an extent, but I find the reporting (particularly BBC) really odd. Frequently they focus on Div 2 games before Div 1, something they would never do in football (championship ahead of Prem). Its as if they don't recognise what has happened.

I can see the franchises for the hundred as the template for stronger, but fewer first class teams, so championship of 4 day cricket based on the hundred.

The desire for this is to get the standard better and produce better test players. However we have not left May and already the Championship is on hold for the one day stuff. The best times of the summer for 4 days games lost for a bit of hit and giggle rubbish.

Its easy to fit the formats in - Sunday/Monday starts for the 4 days games, then Friday night and Saturday for T20, spread over the year. Find slots for the one day cup in a block of a couple of weeks (three group games, tops sides into the knockout).
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Nigelb said:

@SteveBarclay

Tbf, it does open an attack line if Labour go for 'cynicsl timing' - 'Labour would rather see you go short whilst they are attacking the government'
    If there is a crisis, it requires action. Most politics is deflection from bad news elsewhere
  • Options

That could be the answer to the ECB's prayers. Is there a test ground in Glasgow?
    I think they play ODI at Stirling, and there is a ground in Glasgow (don't ask me where).
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Provenance unknown...

Breaking :
    Nazanin Ratcliffe may decide to stand as a parliamentary candidate in Johnson's Uxbridge & Ruislip Seat at the next General Election in order to get rid of Johnson once and for all !!

Another independent to split the Left vote?
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Sandpit said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Andy_JS said:

Johnson in serious trouble now: David Simmonds and John Baron have never called for him to go before.

Interesting.

MPs will be taking soundings from constituents which I suspect will be absolutely dire.

I reckon opinion polls will also be bad for the tories in coming weeks. That Kantar this morning, with an increase in Labour's lead, was before Sue Gray.
    I think you have a very valid point

Parliament goes into recess tomorrow until after the platinum jubilee, and mps will not only be at their constituencies but no doubt mixing at various parties (the irony) and getting it full on from angered voters (many loyal) and when they return, gather together and hopefully will decide to do the only decent and honest thing, and vote him out office

The focus on Partygate was yesterday, that was the "climax" that had been built up to. Realistically every day that passes now is a day where it slips down the agenda and MPs will be talking to constituents who have progressively less and less to say about Parties and more and more to say about Cost of Living and other issues instead.
    'Liked' by Sandpit who lives in the Middle East and has no finger on the pulse of the nation, nor I suspect do you.

Until or unless Johnson is removed this will not 'go away'. It's a cancer and it's eating away your party.
    Don’t worry, everyone abroad was already wondering why the UK is eating itself over such ‘parties’, and now they’ve seen the photos are even more bemused with the whole thing.

Where’s the DJ, the strippers with the pouring tequila, and the guy ‘powdering his nose’ in the corner of the room?
    That's because foreigners are inherently inferior and accept that their lot is to be governed by the fat lying corrupt pigs they deserve. True born Britons have higher standards.
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379

Applicant said:

Good. Its shit. We already have a thriving, successful, well understood evening bash into its 20th season, with well known sides. Want more kids watching cricket? Bite the bullet and get the Vitality Blast on BBC and test cricket back on C4.
    One problem is if Hundred fails it could bust the ECB. They have guaranted £300m of funding, with the hope they recoup all of it via tv, ticket sales and merch. Even last season, that was boosted by being new and coming out of lockdown it was something you could do on a nice summer evening, it lost a load of money.
    Oddly I suspect the ECB would not mind that outcome. There seems to be a desire to get to 8 to 10 top sides, rather than 18 counties.
    It's always been the aim of the Hundred from Day One.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,304
    Sandpit said:

Applicant said:

I had a quick scan on the Lord's site and the cheapest adult ticket available appears to be £100. I'm not surprised they aren't sold out.
    Who wants to pay £100, plus F&B, to watch England lose by an innings? Find a quiet pub to watch it, or stay at home and drown sorrows there.

I’m sure I remember paying £50 for a non-Ashes TM at Lord’s a decade or so ago.
    Yes, I used to go to Lords regularly about ten years ago. The most expensive tickets back then were £65 as I recall.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Protest at scrapping the Eton-Harrow and Varsity matches.

My own school has been barred from Lords since 1906 for trashing the pavilion.
    Wow, was your school Approved?
    Certainly out-misbehaving Harrow is ssomething of a feat.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

Provenance unknown...

Breaking :

If Labour is smart they'll reach a Tatton type agreement here.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,216
    Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

Provenance unknown...

Breaking :

Unless the rest stand down in her favour as per Martin Bell.

Anti-sleaze candidate?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

Provenance unknown...

Breaking :

The Tories and Lib Dems should have given Reg Keys a free run at Blair in 2005.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Provenance unknown...

Breaking :

Reg Keys revisited.
    If the rest stsnd aside, maybe, but i csnt see it
  • Options
    Tory MP Julian Sturdy (York Outer): "While I thought it important to wait for the conclusion of the Met Police investigation and publication of the Sue Gray report, I am now unable to give the PM the benefit of the doubt and feel it's in the public interest for him to resign."
    https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1529763906595561478
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,210

Scott_xP said:

Conservative MP John Baron has withdrawn support from Boris Johnson – saying that the Prime Minister is "no longer credible"

For more on this and other news visit http://trib.al/Rx0iR33

The overwhelming sense I received from media reporting was that Johnson was at little risk and had escaped again, but several Tory MPs didn't get the memo and have chosen this time to call for the PM to go.

I wonder whether the media bubble are about to be caught out by the no confidence ballot threshold being reached?

Despite all my cynicism it does seem like some Tory MPs were true to their word and genuinely were waiting for the Gray report to reach a verdict, rather than merely procrastinating.
    The party does have a problem if they don't act. A government whose sole mission is enabling an entitled silver spoon confidence trickster to continue being PM is going to be a tough sell come the GE.

They also have a problem if they do act because their majority was built largely on his appeal. They've changed in his image and if they now try yet another reinvention - eg replacing him with a Hunt - it's unlikely to work imo.

On balance, if I were a Tory MP in a redwall marginal, I'd probably be sticking with him.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Tory MP Julian Sturdy (York Outer): "While I thought it important to wait for the conclusion of the Met Police investigation and publication of the Sue Gray report, I am now unable to give the PM the benefit of the doubt and feel it's in the public interest for him to resign."
    https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1529763906595561478

Give us news, Scottie, not history. that is so, like, yesterday.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

@SteveBarclay

Tbf, it does open an attack line if Labour go for 'cynicsl timing' - 'Labour would rather see you go short whilst they are attacking the government'
    If there is a crisis, it requires action. Most politics is deflection from bad news elsewhere
    You’re not addressing the blatant lie.

Of course they ‘control the timing’, and this measure has been open to them for months.
    Did the ‘crisis which requires urgent action’ begin yesterday ?
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,447

Apols if seen, and Election maps uk teasing a 'particularly spicy' Redfield at 5, usually from them meaning big Labour lead
    Westminster voting intention:

LAB: 38% (+1)
    CON: 32% (-2)
    LDEM: 13% (+2)
    GRN: 8% (+1)

via @KantarPublic, 19 - 23 May
    Chgs. w/ Apr
    https://t.co/tbuWdJkYCg
    SNP and Reform 3%

Conservatives sub 30% would not be a surprise

They are committing hari-kari at present

Hopefully it will push the letters over the 54
    The Standards Committee is the last, best hope for that. The senior Conservative member is Sir Bernard Jenkin. A lot may rest on him.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

Provenance unknown...

Breaking :

Or another person in a white suit moment ?
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,540
    Applicant said:

Sandpit said:

Applicant said:

I had a quick scan on the Lord's site and the cheapest adult ticket available appears to be £100. I'm not surprised they aren't sold out.
    Who wants to pay £100, plus F&B, to watch England lose by an innings? Find a quiet pub to watch it, or stay at home and drown sorrows there.

I’m sure I remember paying £50 for a non-Ashes TM at Lord’s a decade or so ago.
    Yeah, it's insane. Headingley has plenty available for £45.
    Levelling-up in action: £100 for Lords, £45 for Headingley. Best they've done so far.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,010

I think they play ODI at Stirling, and there is a ground in Glasgow (don't ask me where).
    Ireland is now a Test nation, we should play a series
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

Provenance unknown...

Breaking :

Anti-sleaze candidate?
    Lab and LDs admitting they arent good enough to get rid of him? It would look ridiculous.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Provenance unknown...

Breaking :

Reg Keys revisited.
    I would applaud a stitch up by Lab and LD to stand aside in her favour or adopt her as a candidate, if he is still there by then
  • Options
    A fair character assessment.

https://twitter.com/Joannechocolat/status/1529429666368573440
    The man who joined an Oxford club that had *burning a £50 note in front of a homeless person* as one of its initiation rites is now telling the Commons how shocked he is that Tory MPs were rude to his cleaning staff.
    I think he's lying.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

@SteveBarclay

Of course they ‘control the timing’, and this measure has been open to them for months.
    No, of course not, nor am i defending it, just pointing out the politics of it all.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

Provenance unknown...

Breaking :

Agreed if it were against anyone but the PM himself. It would look ridiculous if the main parties didn’t contest the PM’s seat.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,216

Christopher Hope📝
    @christopherhope
    ·
    1h
    This is significant as the Conservative MPs now withdrawing support (John Baron, Julian Sturdy) from the Prime Minister are NOT the usual suspects.
    This number could grow when Tory MPs meet their constituents tomorrow and this weekend.

https://twitter.com/christopherhope/status/1529745555529801728
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,186

Leon said:

One for @Heathener

Last Night in Sivota. Literally. I am now checking out and moving on. The nomadic life continues…

Any clues as to the next stop?
    I still don’t know. Tonight preveza, tomorrow - dunno! I’ve got a gap before my next assignment so I could go anywhere. Don’t want to go too far tho

It’s quite fun. The random quality. I am a proper hunter gatherer - of experiences. I track the big game of newness, I shadow the quarry of Wow

I am right now in Parga. Very touristy but also rather pretty

• Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,255

Applicant said:

When the championship split, the aim was that Div 1 would become much stronger and Div 2 of a lower standard. I think its happened to an extent, but I find the reporting (particularly BBC) really odd. Frequently they focus on Div 2 games before Div 1, something they would never do in football (championship ahead of Prem). Its as if they don't recognise what has happened.

I can see the franchises for the hundred as the template for stronger, but fewer first class teams, so championship of 4 day cricket based on the hundred.

The desire for this is to get the standard better and produce better test players. However we have not left May and already the Championship is on hold for the one day stuff. The best times of the summer for 4 days games lost for a bit of hit and giggle rubbish.

Its easy to fit the formats in - Sunday/Monday starts for the 4 days games, then Friday night and Saturday for T20, spread over the year. Find slots for the one day cup in a block of a couple of weeks (three group games, tops sides into the knockout).
    It's just a lot more complicated than that. Partly it's because the Counties have been representative teams - it's not that long ago that Yorkshire didn't allow anyone not born in the county to play for them.

So a player's attachment to their county is stronger then it would be to a simple club. This is one reason why players like Broad and Stokes are at division 2 sides - that and they play a lot less in the county championship. People don't want to support made up teams, or a different county because there's has been relegated to minor status.

For scheduling it's hard to mix the formats because it's easier to sign overseas players support a limited block for one format.

I honestly can't work out how to fix it.
  • Options

Ireland is now a Test nation, we should play a series
    Gave us a real go for one innings in 2019, then collapsed in a heap (so much so that I missed it completely while driving). I don't think they are ready for a series yet.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,790

boulay said:

Scott_xP said:

Breaking:

A third Tory MP has called for Boris Johnson to step down in wake of Gray report

David Simmonds says while govt enjoys public confidence, 'the prime minister does not'

'It is time for him to step down so new leadership can take forward the important work of govt' https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1529748450182676480/photo/1

The BBC said this morning that Boris is much safer than yesterday as only a few had declared against him

Unfortunately 54 will not be enough to see him go unless the vonc sees a dramatic increase towards the 180 +

It may happen, it should happen, but I fear it will not happen, certainly not yet
    I’m not sure that difficulty getting to the 54 letters necessarily shows that it will be hard to get the 180+ to dump him in a vote.

It’s one thing to write in and demand he goes but once that particular door has been opened I think a lot of Tory MOs will look at the situation differently and realise that they only really have this one chance to potentially save themselves at the election.

It’s probably a bit like the Brexit referendum. I’m sure there were loads of people who wouldn’t have wanted/demanded the referendum and would have carried on as it was however when it came down to actually voting they took the plunge and voted leave - either they weighed up the “arguments”, went with their guts or thought “fuck it, may as well get shot of this as might not get another go”.

So I’m hopeful that once we get to the tipping point there will be enough MOs make the decision to go in a different direction.
    Also, the psychology is different.

To speak up, or even to write a letter to the 1922, is a positive act, putting your head above the parapet. Not doing anything has the effect of supporting BoJo, but in a passive way. It's possible to still one's soul by saying "not yet".

In an actual VoC, they can't avoid the question. Do you endorse this man- yes or no? In the privacy of the voting booth, alone with their concience (I'm sure most still have one... they're just trained in ignoring it), how many will actually endorse Boris?
    I can't remember the procedure, is it a secret ballot if it gets that far?
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

Provenance unknown...

Breaking :

Agreed if it were against anyone but the PM himself. It would look ridiculous if the main parties didn’t contest the PM’s seat.
    The person looking ridiculous would be the PM.

actually I think you are wrong in principle: for GE purposes the PM is just a MP like any other.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

Provenance unknown...

Breaking :

Not good news for Boris, if so, but I'm not convinced that Nazanin would be a slam dunk in the way that Martin Bell was against Neil Hamilton. Yep, she has a grievance that may resonate a bit, but its essentially personal. Not sure voters will really go for it.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

@SteveBarclay

No, of course not, nor am i defending it, just pointing out the politics of it all.
    As was I.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

"Tory Britain faces extinction at the hands of a radical hard-Left alliance
    ALLISTER HEATH" (£)

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/05/25/tory-britain-faces-extinction-hands-radical-hard-left-alliance/

TLDR: "My and my family's enormous privileges might get watered down a bit around the edges by oaks who should know their place."
    In the woods? :D
    Perhaps their bark is worse than their bite. Still, good to understand the root of the problem
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Scott_xP said:

Provenance unknown...

Breaking :

Reg Keys revisited.
    I would applaud a stitch up by Lab and LD to stand aside in her favour or adopt her as a candidate, if he is still there by then
    Could easily backfire though - opposition scared of facing PM etc. Labour arent throwing away 38% in the PMs backyard for Nazanin
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

One for @Heathener

Last Night in Sivota. Literally. I am now checking out and moving on. The nomadic life continues…

I still don’t know. Tonight preveza, tomorrow - dunno! I’ve got a gap before my next assignment so I could go anywhere. Don’t want to go too far tho

It’s quite fun. The random quality. I am a proper hunter gatherer - of experiences. I track the big game of newness, I shadow the quarry of Wow

You bin to the Meteora? utterly stunning and only a couple of hours down the road.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

The man who joined an Oxford club that had *burning a £50 note in front of a homeless person* as one of its initiation rites is now telling the Commons how shocked he is that Tory MPs were rude to his cleaning staff.
    I think he's lying.

What club was that? (It can't be the Bullingdon - you'd never have heard the end of it during the Cameron era.)
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,226

Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

Provenance unknown...

Breaking :

Anti-sleaze candidate?
    Anti-scum candidate.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

Provenance unknown...

Breaking :

Not good news for Boris, if so, but I'm not convinced that Nazanin would be a slam dunk in the way that Martin Bell was against Neil Hamilton. Yep, she has a grievance that may resonate a bit, but its essentially personal. Not sure voters will really go for it.
    They might. The story that Johnson's incompetence led to her longer than necessary incarceration might resonate
  • Options
    The biggest laugh of today is Heath in the Telegraph: "Tory Britain faces extinction at the hands of a radical hard-Left alliance", as mentioned before.

Sir Keir Starmer and Ed Davey as Lenin and Trotsky? Do me a favour. He's barking.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

Provenance unknown...

Breaking :

The person looking ridiculous would be the PM.

actually I think you are wrong in principle: for GE purposes the PM is just a MP like any other.
    For GE purposes, the PM is indeed just another MP.

But imagine a debate between Johnson and Starmer, or what the Tory national TV ads look like, when the main Opposition doesn’t even want to stand their own candidate against him. Most people won’t know or care about the detail.

(Personally I think we probably get a change of PM next year anyway, so it will be a moot point).
  • Options
    edited May 2022

Christopher Hope📝
    @christopherhope
    ·
    1h
    This is significant as the Conservative MPs now withdrawing support (John Baron, Julian Sturdy) from the Prime Minister are NOT the usual suspects.
    This number could grow when Tory MPs meet their constituents tomorrow and this weekend.

I dont get this. Yes he should go etc, but opinion is already baked in, im not sure how Sue Gray and her meh report are going to suddenly provoke a vicious backlash on the doorstep.
    Ok, the polling might suddenly shift, but has the GBP really been sitting on a backlash or is it not the case its already erupted?
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,034
    Pagan2 said:

Wants to scream currently but wondering if there is anything I can do about this situation.

Fathers girlfriend finds my father collapsed this morning and in a bad way. Rings his doctors surgery as it literally is a two minute walk (his house backs onto it) to be told well he can come in to see the doctor at 5pm or ring an ambulance, which she already had. Surely in an emergency when that close to the house it wouldn't be too much to expect a little quicker assistance? Especially when its a suspected stroke and the adverts always tells us time is of the essence?

Should I lodge a complaint here?

I’m really sorry to hear that. Hope all ok.

The receptionist sounds like an idiot but you would be better off with an ambulance. A GP is primary care not an emergency responder so he wouldn’t necessarily have TNKplase to hand for example
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

Provenance unknown...

Breaking :

Would it ?
    No doubt his party will say that as loud as they can, but I’m not convinced at all by your snap judgment. And it might work precisely because it’s against the PM himself.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,262

The biggest laugh of today is Heath in the Telegraph: "Tory Britain faces extinction at the hands of a radical hard-Left alliance", as mentioned before.

Sir Keir Starmer and Ed Davey as Lenin and Trotsky? Do me a favour. He's barking.

There have been a number of loopy articles in the Telegraph recently: genuinely unhinged. And it's a paper I've often read for the quality of its journalism.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,255
    This is for the, "it's complicated," crowd who make a lot of some Ukrainians supporting Russia. That was true in the past, but Putin has succeeded in uniting Ukraine against Russia. To cede territory on the basis that some Ukrainians used to have a favourable attitude to Russia would be a betrayal.

"Few surprises as new polling shows shifting Ukrainian attitudes to Russia. Just 2pc now ready to say they view Russia positively. Source: Kyiv International Institute of Sociology"

https://twitter.com/olliecarroll/status/1529748507866935296
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

Provenance unknown...

Breaking :

Would it ?
    No doubt his party will say that as loud as they can, but I’m not convinced at all by your snap judgment. And it might work precisely because it’s against the PM himself.
    Lab are on 38% in Uxbridge, they arent giving up the ultimate scalp.
  • Options
    OT - OGH refers to the Labour bounce when Gordon Brown took over. I well remember the panic in Tory ranks at the time. GB for a moment became the "father of the nation" and was "Not Flash, just Gordon".

Led to Tories recalling Ken Clarke to the front bench. In the end, GB blew himself up by hubristically allowing speculation to grow over a snap election, deciding against, and then conducting a car crash interview. Point is that was not inevitable. A fourth GE victory was a very real possibility.

Problem for Tories is that the Brown equivalent - Sunak - is now unavailable. I do wonder whether Ben Wallace could be the person to calm the troops, reassure the public, and get them back into contention. Still not convinced by Liz Truss although her robust line on Ukraine seems to be well-judged.
  • Options

Christopher Hope📝
    @christopherhope
    ·
    1h

I dont get this. Yes he should go etc, but opinion is already baked in, im not sure how Sue Gray and her meh report are going to suddenly provoke a vicious backlash on the doorstep.
    Ok, the polling might suddenly shift, but has the GBP really been sitting on a backlash or is it not the case its already erupted?
    A lot of MPs including mine have expressly reserved judgment till Gray published. So he is about to get a Get off the fence, phatboi letter from me.
  • Options
    Brexit disaster latest. What happens when you deliberately shrink your domestic market overnight from 450m people to just 60m and surround yourself with new trade barriers. https://twitter.com/BloombergUK/status/1529710290807422977
  • Options
    Heathener said:

There have been a number of loopy articles in the Telegraph recently: genuinely unhinged. And it's a paper I've often read for the quality of its journalism.
    I used to regularly buy it. Sadly it moved to the populist right just before the 2016 referendum and has not moved back to the more moderate centre right paper it once was. It is a broadsheet version of the Express now.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

Provenance unknown...

Breaking :

Anti-sleaze candidate?
    Anti-scum candidate.
    Would be a superb moment if the sitting PM lost his seat.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

This is quite entertaining

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2022/05/26/novelist-wrote-murder-husband-found-guilty-murdering-husband/
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,296
    Seems some think Rishi was unlucky to receive a FPN and he is about to finally address the cost of living crisis

As unlikely as it seems he may yet win the crown against the odds
  • Options

FPT

Pulpstar said:

Well I'm no fan of the government, but I won't say no to a few hundred quid off the gas and leccy.

You won't get a few hundred quid off. Your bills will still shoot up. Just not by quite the mad amounts being warned. So EDF say 40% of customers will be in fuel poverty. This cuts it to 35% - anyone feel better off?

Same as the fuel duty cut. The reason this was always a stupid policy was that rising prices would quickly reverse it. And they have. With pump prices the highest on record you can't say "ahbut they would be 6p higher if we hadn't so please vote for us".
    Sorry but I disagree. Cutting taxes is a reasonable response to rising prices. Yes it doesn't reverse the price rise, but nothing will. The price has to be paid, one way or another, but there's no reason for the state to be adding insult to injury by adding taxes on top of the rises and on top of other taxes.

Anyone who thinks there's a magic solution to eliminate cost from people's lives is in Dreamland but cutting taxes is a rational and reasonable way to mitigate the harm and smooth the transition in the price changes.
    Sure, we know there is no magic solution. I am pointing to the political stupidity of going out claiming people will pay less. They will not - they will pay more. That they would have paid even more without the rebate won't win any votes.

And was always thus. Cutting fuel duty was always a stupid policy when prices were rising which is why Blair and Brown resisted calls to do so in the great fuel crisis of 2000 when prices were shockingly high at £1.20 a litre.

Sunak need not have bothered cut 5p duty and lose 1p VAT off fuel - its the highest ever, people are screaming, there are no votes to be gained. Better to target the money differently and put it into people's pockets directly so that they feel it there before spending it.

"I just got £200 cash off my tax bill" is better than "I've been saved £200 off a theoretical fuel bill which is more than I can afford anyway". Politically speaking.
    Completely disagreed. It may be better politics but its poorer economics and the wrong thing to do.

The vast bulk of the price you pay at the pump is tax, not the cost of the fuel itself, and due to the way it is taxed when the cost of the fuel itself goes up the Exchequer gets more money automatically anyway. So the Chancellor cutting fuel duty isn't the wrong thing to do, its the right thing to do, since it is stabilising prices absorbing part of the cost of the price rise, but without costing the Exchequer much if any money since taxes are the bulk of the price anyway and they're getting more money automatically already.

Any Chancellor who tries to wash his hands of fuel prices and says "not my problem" is wrong, because taxes are the overwhelming proportion of fuel prices in the first place. The ability to relatively stabilise the price when shocks occur is one of the only benefits of having it so heavily taxed in the first place as proportionately then the price rise doesn't seem so severe - Biden is struggling much more as gasoline prices in the States aren't taxed so much and so have risen proportionately much, much further.

PS it probably is good politics too since if the Chancellor didn't intervene when prices rose then graphics would have rapidly started going around showing exactly what proportion of the price is tax which would make it his problem. As it did when Blair and Brown faced the same situation and it hurt them politically, but not enough to make up for the fact that they were miles ahead of the Tories for other reasons and the issue went away. "I can't afford this bill and its all your fault as the bill is mostly tax" is different to "I can't afford this bill, but at least its not getting taxed as much".

Cutting fuel duty is probably the only thing Sunak has got right since Eat Out To Help Out.
    Why not stabilise the tax on a fuel at a fixed price per litre rather than a percentage, which just amplifies the price movements.

And yes, I know that the tax consist of several taxes. But all it takes is some legislation.

But nothing will be done until the problem goes away in a a decade or 2.
    Most of it is. It’s just VAT that is variable
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Christopher Hope📝
    @christopherhope
    ·
    1h

A lot of MPs including mine have expressly reserved judgment till Gray published. So he is about to get a Get off the fence, phatboi letter from me.
    MPs i understand. I'm just unsure where the new rage comes from. Ive been pissed off about it since before Xmas.
  • Options

OT - OGH refers to the Labour bounce when Gordon Brown took over. I well remember the panic in Tory ranks at the time. GB for a moment became the "father of the nation" and was "Not Flash, just Gordon".

Led to Tories recalling Ken Clarke to the front bench. In the end, GB blew himself up by hubristically allowing speculation to grow over a snap election, deciding against, and then conducting a car crash interview. Point is that was not inevitable. A fourth GE victory was a very real possibility.

Problem for Tories is that the Brown equivalent - Sunak - is now unavailable. I do wonder whether Ben Wallace could be the person to calm the troops, reassure the public, and get them back into contention. Still not convinced by Liz Truss although her robust line on Ukraine seems to be well-judged.

Ben Wallace would be enough for me to return to the fold. Hunt with Steve Baker as deputy would work and perhaps unite the party and country
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

Provenance unknown...

Breaking :

Would it ?
    Telling that so far it’s only his supporters proclaiming it an obviously bad idea.
    Inclines me to think it’s not.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

Provenance unknown...

Breaking :

They might. The story that Johnson's incompetence led to her longer than necessary incarceration might resonate
    I'm not sure its true though (or not the real reason her release was delayed). She was released entirely after the bribe (sorry debt) was settled. Johnson was an arse for saying what he did*, but I don't believe it cost her a minutes freedom.

*I am probably totally wrong but one wonders where the stories of her activities comes from. Is she entirely innocent? (Probably - the Iranian's have almost certainly made shit up)
  • Options

This is for the, "it's complicated," crowd who make a lot of some Ukrainians supporting Russia. That was true in the past, but Putin has succeeded in uniting Ukraine against Russia. To cede territory on the basis that some Ukrainians used to have a favourable attitude to Russia would be a betrayal.

"Few surprises as new polling shows shifting Ukrainian attitudes to Russia. Just 2pc now ready to say they view Russia positively. Source: Kyiv International Institute of Sociology"

The mood music today is, Russia has sorted its military out and got its act together, and on track to take and hold Donbas. West has overpromised/underdelivered on weapons. Not looking good; this is what happens when the fuhrer is distracted from his job by party inquiries.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

Provenance unknown...

Breaking :

Would it ?
    Labour would only agree to it if Nazanin was the Labour candidate. That's unlikely; the local CLP wouldn't be happy, I'd guess.
  • Options

Seems some think Rishi was unlucky to receive a FPN and he is about to finally address the cost of living crisis

He is a lightweight. There are better options.
  • Options

It's an weird phenomenon. Because Boris was a right-wing journalist himself, the loyalty he gets from other right-wing journalists is off the scale. Those cynical, hard-bitten hacks would never have been so indulgent with May, Cameron, Major or even Thatcher. But for them Boris can absolutely do no wrong. It's very unhealthy. I hope it never happens again.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

I think he's lying.

What club was that? (It can't be the Bullingdon - you'd never have heard the end of it during the Cameron era.)
    Johnson has denied it, so it’s quite likely true.
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/boris-johnson-denies-burning-50-20200632
  • Options

Anyone untainted by partygate and cut and run on any poll bounce
    However i think we are stuck with lardarse
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,210

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

One for @Heathener

I'm also abroad atm and moving from place to place using only my native wit and a credit card.
    Looking forward to your daily travelblog.
    Well I'm going to the WW1 cemetery at Ypres today.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,541
    Apologies if this has been noted before but as with his comments at the time (a masterpiece) on Cummings's carefully lawyered exculpatory nonsense in the rose garden, the great David Allen Green has provided once again a forensic account, this time of why Boris said what he said, what it means and why, and how he got away with it.

https://davidallengreen.com/2022/05/the-lawyering-up-of-boris-johnson-how-the-prime-ministers-statement-on-the-sue-gray-report-may-give-clues-to-how-he-escaped-more-penalties/

• Options

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

Provenance unknown...

Breaking :

I'm not sure its true though (or not the real reason her release was delayed). She was released entirely after the bribe (sorry debt) was settled. Johnson was an arse for saying what he did*, but I don't believe it cost her a minutes freedom.

*I am probably totally wrong but one wonders where the stories of her activities comes from. Is she entirely innocent? (Probably - the Iranian's have almost certainly made shit up)
    Well, either she is innocent or she's "guilty" of spying for this country at this country's request. Johnson is far more to blame in the latter case.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667
    3, 4, 5, 6 on Quordle today!
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

Provenance unknown...

Breaking :

If there was any doubt about her innocence she would not be doing what she is doing now. If she really was with SIS she would disappear into obscurity IMO.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

Provenance unknown...

Breaking :

Would it ?
    Telling that so far it’s only his supporters proclaiming it an obviously bad idea.
    I'm not a Johnson supporter
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

Lol. Who ?

Truss :D:D:D ?!
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

One for @Heathener

I'm also abroad atm and moving from place to place using only my native wit and a credit card.
    Looking forward to your daily travelblog.
    Well I'm going to the WW1 cemetery at Ypres today.
    A very moving experience it will be.
  • Options
    Edinburgh councillors have voted 32-29 for a Lab minority administration. 2 Lab cllrs abstained.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

Provenance unknown...

Breaking :

Well, either she is innocent or she's "guilty" of spying for this country at this country's request. Johnson is far more to blame in the latter case.
    I thought it was 'training journalists'?
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Christopher Hope📝
    @christopherhope
    ·
    1h

MPs i understand. I'm just unsure where the new rage comes from. Ive been pissed off about it since before Xmas.
    Me too. The oafish heckling of Nick Watt last night topped me up tho.
  • Options
    edited May 2022

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

Provenance unknown...

Breaking :

More importantly, does she want everyone poring critically over her story, as would inevitably happen if she stands for office?

As someone who’s lived abroad, and is well aware of the nuances around dual nationality, I think her case is a really bad one to use to bash the government. The British government, anyway.
  • Options
    Some mumblings about more potential Tory MP resignations to be announced today/next few days including possibility of minister and PPS. Usual caveats of course
    https://twitter.com/hoffman_noa/status/1529770094674558977
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

Provenance unknown...

Breaking :

Would it ?
    Labour would only agree to it if Nazanin was the Labour candidate. That's unlikely; the local CLP wouldn't be happy, I'd guess.
    That would work. Although it might drive away some who just dislike Labour
  • Options
    edited May 2022

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

Provenance unknown...

Breaking :

Would it ?
    Fair enough.
    I apologise for the damaging slur.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,383
    IshmaelZ said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

Provenance unknown...

Breaking :

Boris is equally to blame in both cases. He should not have said she was a spy (or "journalist") whether or not she drove an Aston Martin with an ejector seat.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,296

I agree but I thought betting was about the unlikely happening
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,672
    IshmaelZ said:

The mood music today is, Russia has sorted its military out and got its act together, and on track to take and hold Donbas. West has overpromised/underdelivered on weapons. Not looking good; this is what happens when the fuhrer is distracted from his job by party inquiries.
    Of all the large European countries the UK has been most steadfast in supporting Ukraine - over the past 8 years, unlike Germany, Italy (paying for Russian oil in Rubles) or France (now belatedly helping). At least we know the UK wants Putin to lose.....
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,398
    edited May 2022

To understand why, I suggest reading some accounts of life in the areas occupied by the Russians since 2014. Short version - an anarchy run by thieves.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

Provenance unknown...

Breaking :

Would it ?
    Fair enough.
    I apologise for the damaging slur.
    No worries. I was one once tbf. I class myself as primarily anti labour in all things, not pro Tory.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,186
    IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

One for @Heathener

You bin to the Meteora? utterly stunning and only a couple of hours down the road.
    Yep. Went there last week. It is a phenomenal place. Emotional even. So I had a beer to calm down,,,

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

Lol. Who ?

Truss :D:D:D ?!
    Hunt with Baker as deputy or Ben Wallace. Alternatively the Downing Street Cat. All three of these have more gravitas than Sunak or the current incumbent.
  • Options

Tom Larkin
    @TomLarkinSky
    ·
    24m
    If any other rebellious Conservative MPs could just hold off releasing their statements until I get into the office that'd be great, thanks.

https://twitter.com/TomLarkinSky/status/1529750409052577792

Telling everyone he’s not at work before 10.30?
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,386
    edited May 2022
    algarkirk said:

Apologies if this has been noted before but as with his comments at the time (a masterpiece) on Cummings's carefully lawyered exculpatory nonsense in the rose garden, the great David Allen Green has provided once again a forensic account, this time of why Boris said what he said, what it means and why, and how he got away with it.

https://davidallengreen.com/2022/05/the-lawyering-up-of-boris-johnson-how-the-prime-ministers-statement-on-the-sue-gray-report-may-give-clues-to-how-he-escaped-more-penalties/

omg, the slimey bastard,
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

Provenance unknown...

Breaking :

I thought it was 'training journalists'?
    Yes, of course that was it.

3, 4, 5, 6 on Quordle today!

Fail, but on the plus side

Wordle 341 2/6*

🟨🟨⬜🟩⬜
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,980
    edited May 2022
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

I think he's lying.

Johnson has denied it, so it’s quite likely true.
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/boris-johnson-denies-burning-50-20200632
    Probably on the technicality that a £50 note is rarely used and so hard to obtain, so it was 2 £20s and 1 £10 or 5 £10 notes..
This discussion has been closed.