Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The betting chart that says BoJo’s survived PartyGate – politicalbetting.com

12346»

Comments

• Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,200

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Boy, the Underground is kind of boring looking when you see a geographical map of its lines, isn't it?

Makes the North London bias more obvious. They should call it the North London Underground really.
    Isn't it in part because south of the river is geologically less suited to tunneling?
    If only there were some PB geologists who could tell us.

To my untrained eye it doesn't look very different, north or south.

Possibly depends how deep?
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,442
    Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Boy, the Underground is kind of boring looking when you see a geographical map of its lines, isn't it?

Makes the North London bias more obvious. They should call it the North London Underground really.
    Isn't it in part because south of the river is geologically less suited to tunneling?
    That's some of it, but also the nature of the main line railways made a difference.

To the north and west, the rail lines were heading for the midlands, north and Scotland. Faffing around with local commuters was way more trouble than it was worth, so it got left to the underground lines. Besides, underground railway companies built a lot of the north-western suburbs.

Head south and east out of London and you can't go very far before you hit the sea. So train companies couldn't really do the inter-city/suburban split. So there are a lot more mainline stations; business-wise, less space for metropolitan railways to operate.
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,132
    DavidL said:

Andrew Neil
    @afneil
    ·
    3h
    PM Johnson defends alcohol-fuelled Downing St leaving parties and his "leadership duty" to attend them. It's a new line -- and new nonsense. I left the BBC after 25 years during lockdown. There was never any question of a leaving party. We all knew it would be against the rules.

https://twitter.com/afneil/status/1529476011183726593

DavidL (and others) - Some heavier weapons are just begining to arrive in Ukraine, notably M777 howitzers, as I learned from a front-page article in yesterday's New York Times. According to the article, they outrange the Russian artillery, and are easy to move and camouflage.

It takes some time for the Ukrainians to learn to use these new weapons. (The article says two weeks; I assume that is for men who already have artillery experience.)

Here's the Wikipedia article on the M777: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M777_howitzer

That’s why Russia needs to win now. As time goes by Ukraine is going to be better and better equipped and Russia isn’t. But right now they have a massive artillery advantage and they are using it to good effect.
    Except that Russia can't possibly win outright, because its army is too small and weak to overrun the whole of Ukraine or anywhere close to it. This much is already obvious, from them having to throw in the towel everywhere in the North and redeploy to concentrate what forces they have.

Russia is close to a full conquest of the Luhansk oblast; the Donetsk oblast, however, looks a much taller order, and wherever the Russians do manage to seize more Ukrainian territory they're going to be obliged to use precious, finite resources to hold it. The Ukrainians will then use partisan tactics to pick off the occupiers. This has already started.

This could all end up in a stalemate, should the Russians be able to complete their conquest of the Donbas and then solidify a line of control protecting their gains in the South and East. Persuading the Ukrainians to give in and negotiate a ceasefire in that position would, I grant you, constitute a victory that Putin could sell at home. But what if Russia can't roll the Ukrainians over in Donetsk before significant reinforcements armed with really good NATO hardware arrive in theatre - and should they both refuse to cede territory and, ultimately, build up enough strength to begin launching successful counter-offensives?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,668
    Farooq said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

Neither Richardson nor Sturdy were on my list of Tory MPs previously criticising Johnson https://twitter.com/jackfiehn/status/1529541486659903488

Richardson has been mildly restive for a while, perhaps with an eye to the quite credible yellow threat in the constituency.

By the way, not competing with Leon in the travel stakes, but I'm charmed by mid-Wales (here to speak at the Hay festival tomorrow). A 4-hour drive from Godalming, but very pretty most of the way. Subtly but distinctively different from the English south. There are virtually no by-passes (lack of rich Surrey property-owners to demand them, I guess) so the main road repeatedly pauses to wind its way through a little town or village. The impression is much more spread out than England - houses dotted around but not the neat rows of semis that I'm used to in Surrey. Lots of stunning views across rolling fields to the horizon, divided into little patches, presumably smallholdings.

And many unexpected things. A gigantic hill scree, next to the road at an 80 degree angle. A gigantic mural in one village, showing stags on a mountain. Flowers galore. Little streams running alongside the roads. Quite a few terraced houses in the south, presumably going back to mining village days. All incredibly tidy - not a scrap of litter anywhere.

I wish I'd been here before. Recommend the B&B, Plas Blch where I'm staying- really amazingly pretty little place.
    Mid Wales is glorious. Glad to hear you're enjoying it!

But actually the reason why there are no by-passes is because there's so little traffic. On the two actually busy main roads - the A470 and the A44 - most towns and villages are by-passed with Rhayader (where they meet) being the main and highly ironic exception.

Enjoy Hay. I love the place and I haven't been there for years - not since my mother died.
    It’s lovely that NPXMP is enjoying mid Wales, and yes it is a beautiful part of Britain. I used to ride my motorbike from Hereford up to Rhayader as a lad, gorgeous nearly all the way (in good weather)

But isn’t it a bit disconcerting that an elderly man who was a UK MP for many years is entirely unaware of a major chunk of the country he once thought to rule (as part of the ruling party)?

This is not a criticism of NPXMP. I encounter this everywhere. People who talk confidently of “Britain” who have never been to Scotland, or Wales, or the northern cities or the West Country - let alone Northern Ireland

I’ve been to all these places, and I am a humble flint knapper. They are all fascinating, maybe not all as beautiful as mid Wales, but fascinating. How can you not want to see your own country? Especially if you seek to GOVERN it

I suggest there should be an induction course for all MPs, where they are taken on a tour of the whole UK. I’m quite serious. they should see it all, and meet everyone, the beautiful and the bad. Only then might they be allowed to VOTE on British affairs
    I just found a map where you can click and change the colour of the counties, to try to track which ones I've been to:
    https://www.mapchart.net/uk.html

I'm missing five from Britain, which I think is a pretty good score, but doubtless someone will have done more.
    To my chagrin, I'm missing East Sussex, despite being a history fan. How I've never made it to Hastings/Battle yet is a mystery to me. Well, it's a long way away, but still.
    You've saved the best till last!
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,759
    Leon said:

20 places all new UK MPs should be forced to visit in their induction month. I am presuming they will know London and the SE so they are ignored

Falls Road, Belfast
    Carrickfergus, NI
    Foula, Shetland
    Fort William
    By the Celtic stadium, Glasgow
    Farne Islands
    Jarrow
    Chapeltown Leeds
    A pub in Blackpool on the weekend
    Caernarfon
    Aberfan
    Ironbridge
    West Bromwich
    Rhayader
    Nuneaton
    Orford
    Portishead
    Plymouth near the submarine base
    Redruth, esp Carn Brea
    Weymouth on a Saturday night

Do all that, and you begin to know Britain

NI? In 'Britain'? UK, please.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,970
    Leon said:

20 places all new UK MPs should be forced to visit in their induction month. I am presuming they will know London and the SE so they are ignored

Falls Road, Belfast
    Carrickfergus, NI
    Foula, Shetland
    Fort William
    Farne Islands
    Jarrow
    Chapeltown Leeds
    Caernarfon
    Aberfan
    Ironbridge
    West Bromwich
    Rhayader
    Nuneaton
    Orford
    Portishead
    Redruth, esp Carn Brea

Huge Celtic bias. Vast conurbation across the M62 gets a single visit.
    Can tell where you are from.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,082
    Leon said:

Falls Road, Belfast
    Carrickfergus, NI
    Foula, Shetland
    Fort William
    Farne Islands
    Jarrow
    Chapeltown Leeds
    Caernarfon
    Aberfan
    Ironbridge
    West Bromwich
    Rhayader
    Nuneaton
    Orford
    Portishead
    Redruth, esp Carn Brea

A lot of bias towards the western half of the country.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,641
    Farooq said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

Neither Richardson nor Sturdy were on my list of Tory MPs previously criticising Johnson https://twitter.com/jackfiehn/status/1529541486659903488

Richardson has been mildly restive for a while, perhaps with an eye to the quite credible yellow threat in the constituency.

By the way, not competing with Leon in the travel stakes, but I'm charmed by mid-Wales (here to speak at the Hay festival tomorrow). A 4-hour drive from Godalming, but very pretty most of the way. Subtly but distinctively different from the English south. There are virtually no by-passes (lack of rich Surrey property-owners to demand them, I guess) so the main road repeatedly pauses to wind its way through a little town or village. The impression is much more spread out than England - houses dotted around but not the neat rows of semis that I'm used to in Surrey. Lots of stunning views across rolling fields to the horizon, divided into little patches, presumably smallholdings.

And many unexpected things. A gigantic hill scree, next to the road at an 80 degree angle. A gigantic mural in one village, showing stags on a mountain. Flowers galore. Little streams running alongside the roads. Quite a few terraced houses in the south, presumably going back to mining village days. All incredibly tidy - not a scrap of litter anywhere.

I wish I'd been here before. Recommend the B&B, Plas Blch where I'm staying- really amazingly pretty little place.

But actually the reason why there are no by-passes is because there's so little traffic. On the two actually busy main roads - the A470 and the A44 - most towns and villages are by-passed with Rhayader (where they meet) being the main and highly ironic exception.

Enjoy Hay. I love the place and I haven't been there for years - not since my mother died.
    It’s lovely that NPXMP is enjoying mid Wales, and yes it is a beautiful part of Britain. I used to ride my motorbike from Hereford up to Rhayader as a lad, gorgeous nearly all the way (in good weather)

But isn’t it a bit disconcerting that an elderly man who was a UK MP for many years is entirely unaware of a major chunk of the country he once thought to rule (as part of the ruling party)?

This is not a criticism of NPXMP. I encounter this everywhere. People who talk confidently of “Britain” who have never been to Scotland, or Wales, or the northern cities or the West Country - let alone Northern Ireland

I’ve been to all these places, and I am a humble flint knapper. They are all fascinating, maybe not all as beautiful as mid Wales, but fascinating. How can you not want to see your own country? Especially if you seek to GOVERN it

I suggest there should be an induction course for all MPs, where they are taken on a tour of the whole UK. I’m quite serious. they should see it all, and meet everyone, the beautiful and the bad. Only then might they be allowed to VOTE on British affairs
    I just found a map where you can click and change the colour of the counties, to try to track which ones I've been to:

I'm missing five from Britain, which I think is a pretty good score, but doubtless someone will have done more.
    To my chagrin, I'm missing East Sussex, despite being a history fan. How I've never made it to Hastings/Battle yet is a mystery to me. Well, it's a long way away, but still.
    I have been to everyone in England and Wales. Half of Scotland, RoI and all of NI to still cover, but I have plans...
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Falls Road, Belfast
    Carrickfergus, NI
    Foula, Shetland
    Fort William
    Farne Islands
    Jarrow
    Chapeltown Leeds
    Caernarfon
    Aberfan
    Ironbridge
    West Bromwich
    Rhayader
    Nuneaton
    Orford
    Portishead
    Redruth, esp Carn Brea

Huge Celtic bias. Vast conurbation across the M62 gets a single visit.
    Can tell where you are from.
    You also need to visit Ibrox, or you'd never hear the last of it.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,988

Evening all,

Did the Lizzie Line earlier today, from Paddington to Abbey Wood and back, and visited all NINE stations too! Also had my Mum for company, which made things a little interesting, as described below!

Discovered that a lot of the lifts were out of order, at Liverpool Street, Farringdon, and at Canary Wharf (it was working when we exited!). Also, at Abbey Wood, the ladies' toilet was locked out of order too! Mum had to go at the Sainsbury's down the road!

Also, the "line diagrams" inside the carriages (showing all the stations on the route) were very small, you can barely read them from the other side of the carriage!

But they were the only bugbears from a passenger standpoint. Journey times were very good, 29 minutes from one end to the other, and 11 minutes from Liverpool Street to Paddington. Trains were frequent at every 5 minutes. Train stats (as well as better line diagrams!) are situated above the platform edge doors on the below-ground stations.

Different designs were used for the exterior of each station, and two main plan-forms were used at platform level. Paddington, Canary Wharf and Woolwich were of the "open plan" design with lots of space between the platforms (see for example Canary Wharf Jubilee line). Custom House and Abbey Wood are above ground, so you could deem these "open plan" by definition.

By contrast, Tottenham Court Road, Farringdon, Liverpool Street and Whitechapel were like more "traditional" Tube stations, with two separate tunnels linked by passageways. Bond Street is still under construction, but it was easy to see from passing trains that it is of the "traditional" design. Supposedly it will open in the autumn.

Anyway, I have maintained my 100% record of visiting every Tube, Train, DLR and Tram station in London. Beat that, @Leon :lol:

Have you formulated your plan to visit Reston yet @Sunil_Prasannan?
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

Oh, and it's a silly plan. The idea that geography is a prime motivator is itself a political view. You could argue that all MPs should have to experience years of making the rent on minimum wage, or have run their own business, or have legal training, or have some protected characteristic like they're gay or an ethnic minority.

Personally I'm more interested in voting for someone who's got a degree or professional qualification than someone who's bumbled their way to Cape Wrath and back.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,311
    eek said:

@Sunil_Prasannan another chance to get to Battersea Park if you haven’t got that line yet - June 19th https://www.ianvisits.co.uk/articles/catch-a-london-overground-train-to-battersea-park-station-53583/

Thanks again, but I managed to do this as an engineering diversion one weekend back in 2017.
  • Options

Evening all,

Did the Lizzie Line earlier today, from Paddington to Abbey Wood and back, and visited all NINE stations too! Also had my Mum for company, which made things a little interesting, as described below!

Discovered that a lot of the lifts were out of order, at Liverpool Street, Farringdon, and at Canary Wharf (it was working when we exited!). Also, at Abbey Wood, the ladies' toilet was locked out of order too! Mum had to go at the Sainsbury's down the road!

Also, the "line diagrams" inside the carriages (showing all the stations on the route) were very small, you can barely read them from the other side of the carriage!

But they were the only bugbears from a passenger standpoint. Journey times were very good, 29 minutes from one end to the other, and 11 minutes from Liverpool Street to Paddington. Trains were frequent at every 5 minutes. Train stats (as well as better line diagrams!) are situated above the platform edge doors on the below-ground stations.

Different designs were used for the exterior of each station, and two main plan-forms were used at platform level. Paddington, Canary Wharf and Woolwich were of the "open plan" design with lots of space between the platforms (see for example Canary Wharf Jubilee line). Custom House and Abbey Wood are above ground, so you could deem these "open plan" by definition.

By contrast, Tottenham Court Road, Farringdon, Liverpool Street and Whitechapel were like more "traditional" Tube stations, with two separate tunnels linked by passageways. Bond Street is still under construction, but it was easy to see from passing trains that it is of the "traditional" design. Supposedly it will open in the autumn.

Anyway, I have maintained my 100% record of visiting every Tube, Train, DLR and Tram station in London. Beat that, @Leon :lol:

And East Linton too.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,395
    Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

Despite their often less than stellar reputation, "away" football fans have at least travelled the country.

I once took some teenagers from Dagenham on what I was astonished to find was their first trip to the West End — under an hour on the District Line. Things may be worse today. At age 9 or 10, we'd ride unaccompanied round London on a Red Rover ticket, or go to Southend for the day. In these enlightened times, children are barely allowed to walk to school on their own for fear of marauding kidnappers. Across the Channel, my French godson went on a school trip for a week on the other side of France — at trois ans old.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Evening all,

And East Linton too.

Evening all,

Have they opened yet?
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,215

Leon said:

Falls Road, Belfast
    Carrickfergus, NI
    Foula, Shetland
    Fort William
    Farne Islands
    Jarrow
    Chapeltown Leeds
    Caernarfon
    Aberfan
    Ironbridge
    West Bromwich
    Rhayader
    Nuneaton
    Orford
    Portishead
    Redruth, esp Carn Brea

Really? I already excised the SE, by definition

I’ve got the Farne Islands, Jarrow, Chapeltown, and Orford

Maybe - maybe! - you could add in Lincoln or Ely and take away Portishead. My list lacks a cathedral city
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,226
    I see Guildford MP has said it is all unacceptable and had that report been about her she would have resigned.

SE Tory MPs starting to feel the steely cold edge of the executioner's sword as the LibDems prepare to take their seats?
  • Options
    pigeon said:

DavidL said:

Andrew Neil
    @afneil
    ·
    3h
    PM Johnson defends alcohol-fuelled Downing St leaving parties and his "leadership duty" to attend them. It's a new line -- and new nonsense. I left the BBC after 25 years during lockdown. There was never any question of a leaving party. We all knew it would be against the rules.

DavidL (and others) - Some heavier weapons are just begining to arrive in Ukraine, notably M777 howitzers, as I learned from a front-page article in yesterday's New York Times. According to the article, they outrange the Russian artillery, and are easy to move and camouflage.

It takes some time for the Ukrainians to learn to use these new weapons. (The article says two weeks; I assume that is for men who already have artillery experience.)

Here's the Wikipedia article on the M777: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M777_howitzer

That’s why Russia needs to win now. As time goes by Ukraine is going to be better and better equipped and Russia isn’t. But right now they have a massive artillery advantage and they are using it to good effect.
    Except that Russia can't possibly win outright, because its army is too small and weak to overrun the whole of Ukraine or anywhere close to it. This much is already obvious, from them having to throw in the towel everywhere in the North and redeploy to concentrate what forces they have.

Russia is close to a full conquest of the Luhansk oblast; the Donetsk oblast, however, looks a much taller order, and wherever the Russians do manage to seize more Ukrainian territory they're going to be obliged to use precious, finite resources to hold it. The Ukrainians will then use partisan tactics to pick off the occupiers. This has already started.

This could all end up in a stalemate, should the Russians be able to complete their conquest of the Donbas and then solidify a line of control protecting their gains in the South and East. Persuading the Ukrainians to give in and negotiate a ceasefire in that position would, I grant you, constitute a victory that Putin could sell at home. But what if Russia can't roll the Ukrainians over in Donetsk before significant reinforcements armed with really good NATO hardware arrive in theatre - and should they both refuse to cede territory and, ultimately, build up enough strength to begin launching successful counter-offensives?
    I think the Russians are going to dig in after a bit more Donbas, but those areas are going to be hard to retake. Poor quality troops entrenched are tough to dislodge. So it settles as a stalemate, and a question of who suffers more by blockade, Ukraine or Russia.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Andrew Neil
    @afneil
    ·
    3h

Grinding forward at half a mile per day:

https://twitter.com/mr_gh0stly/status/1529099871826894848
  • Options

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

This seems to bear out @Foxy's theory:

"However, south of the Thames, the stratum at tube level is composed of water-bearing sand and gravel (not good for tunnelling) with London Clay below, which partly explains why there are very few tube tunnels south of the Thames."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Clay#Tunnels_in_London_Clay
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Falls Road, Belfast
    Carrickfergus, NI
    Foula, Shetland
    Fort William
    Farne Islands
    Jarrow
    Chapeltown Leeds
    Caernarfon
    Aberfan
    Ironbridge
    West Bromwich
    Rhayader
    Nuneaton
    Orford
    Portishead
    Redruth, esp Carn Brea

Maybe - maybe! - you could add in Lincoln or Ely and take away Portishead. My list lacks a cathedral city
    Doesn't Glasgow have a cathedral?
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,200
    edited May 2022

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

I see Guildford MP has said it is all unacceptable and had that report been about her she would have resigned.

SE Tory MPs starting to feel the steely cold edge of the executioner's sword as the LibDems prepare to take their seats?

Good. If they are going to do it FFS get on with it. Sick to death of partygate. It’s the new Brexit.

*Quotes messed up for some reason...
  • Options
    Liverpool Street eastbound Lizzie Line platform:

• Options
    The party's over for this thread.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,970
    Someone should tell Andrew Griffin that if you're explaining you're losing.
    Particularly if your explanation is incoherent.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,010
    Leon said:

Falls Road, Belfast
    Carrickfergus, NI
    Foula, Shetland
    Fort William
    Farne Islands
    Jarrow
    Chapeltown Leeds
    Caernarfon
    Aberfan
    Ironbridge
    West Bromwich
    Rhayader
    Nuneaton
    Orford
    Portishead
    Redruth, esp Carn Brea

Redruth is a shithole. At least the town centre is. And I have even been to Carn Brea - had a shower at the leisure centre after running Heartlands parkrun. I'm a bit short on other places on the list though.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Falls Road, Belfast
    Carrickfergus, NI
    Foula, Shetland
    Fort William
    Farne Islands
    Jarrow
    Chapeltown Leeds
    Caernarfon
    Aberfan
    Ironbridge
    West Bromwich
    Rhayader
    Nuneaton
    Orford
    Portishead
    Redruth, esp Carn Brea

Skegness or Great Yarmouth should be in their.

Its a few years since I've been to Skeggy, but by all accounts it hasn't improved. "Nuneaton by the Sea" one of our Lestah born HCAs described it as to me.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,631
    Farooq said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

I lived in Crowborough in E Sussex for a few years. We planned to move back but events overtook us. E Sussex is a lovely place.
  • Options
    Whitechapel westbound Lizzie Line platform:

• Options
    Leon said:

Falls Road, Belfast
    Carrickfergus, NI
    Foula, Shetland
    Fort William
    Farne Islands
    Jarrow
    Chapeltown Leeds
    Caernarfon
    Aberfan
    Ironbridge
    West Bromwich
    Rhayader
    Nuneaton
    Orford
    Portishead
    Redruth, esp Carn Brea

I assume you mean a pub on the seafront filled with people having fun.

Go half a mile inland and Blackpool can be very different:

When school teacher Kim Leathley took her class on a trip to the local aquarium, she was asked an unusual question.

"Miss? What's that?" said a nine-year-old boy, pointing towards the waves, as they walked along Blackpool promenade.

It turned out he'd never seen the sea before.

A surprise, given the school is in the middle of Blackpool and only a few streets from the seafront.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-57174581
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,226
    DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:

Exclusive

Rishi Sunak is set to announce new money off energy bills for every household in the country tomorrow.

He’s signed off plans to increase the £200 rebate and - crucially - ditch the need to pay it back. 28 million households benefit.

https://twitter.com/benrileysmith/status/1529560630813933572

That is a truly terrible decision. All of the available money ( and it’s not much) should have gone to those on UC. Spreading the loot thin like this achieves the square root of F all.
    Don't like the sound of all those piss-ups in Downing Street whilst you were obeying strict covid rules, Sir?

How would £200 in your pocket make you feel about it all? A little less pissed off perhaps, Sir?
  • Options
    Canary Wharf:

• Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,988

Carnyx said:

Evening all,

And East Linton too.

Evening all,

Have they opened yet?
    Reston opened on Monday. East Linton is still in the planning stage.
  • Options
    Custom House:

• Options
    Woolwich:

• Options
    Abbey Wood:

• Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,215

Leon said:

Falls Road, Belfast
    Carrickfergus, NI
    Foula, Shetland
    Fort William
    Farne Islands
    Jarrow
    Chapeltown Leeds
    Caernarfon
    Aberfan
    Ironbridge
    West Bromwich
    Rhayader
    Nuneaton
    Orford
    Portishead
    Redruth, esp Carn Brea

Redruth is a shithole. At least the town centre is. And I have even been to Carn Brea - had a shower at the leisure centre after running Heartlands parkrun. I'm a bit short on other places on the list though.
    Half my dad’s family is from Redruth, or has at least lived there at some point. It was a major town during the tinning years

That’s why I put it in. It’s not beautiful Cornwall, it’s brutal real Cornwall, tho it does have some noble Victorian industrial revolution architecture. Carn Brea is ground zero for my Mum’s family. An incredible Neolithic hill just outside Redruth which is half lovely-Cornwall - you can see all the coasts - yet half fuck-me-what-happened-here - ruined mines everywhere

It ain’t St Ives or St Mawes, that’s for sure. But nor is it all disastrous

I’m trying to educate these new MPs

• Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,848
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Falls Road, Belfast
    Carrickfergus, NI
    Foula, Shetland
    Fort William
    Farne Islands
    Jarrow
    Chapeltown Leeds
    Caernarfon
    Aberfan
    Ironbridge
    West Bromwich
    Rhayader
    Nuneaton
    Orford
    Portishead
    Redruth, esp Carn Brea

It’s a v good list, I’ve hardly been to any of them.

My “list” includes

St Helens
    Abergavenny
    Matlock Spa
    Blackgang Chine
    Middlesbrough
    Portscatho
    Ashton-upon-Lyne
    Appledore
    Borth
    Isle of Ely
    Vatersay
    Pittenweem
    Grey Street
    Gosport
    Uttoxeter
    Coventry
    Chipping Camden
    Port Sunlight
    Old Radnor
    Preston Bus Station
  • Options
    Farringdon:

• Options
    Tottenham Court Road:

• Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Falls Road, Belfast
    Carrickfergus, NI
    Foula, Shetland
    Fort William
    Farne Islands
    Jarrow
    Chapeltown Leeds
    Caernarfon
    Aberfan
    Ironbridge
    West Bromwich
    Rhayader
    Nuneaton
    Orford
    Portishead
    Redruth, esp Carn Brea

I suspect the south-east is relatively unknown to people from parts northern.

Its really the place you go through on your way to London or France.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,848
    edited May 2022

Tottenham Court Road:

I’m very excited by the new line, but they all look rather the same, and not especially distinctive as a whole anyway.

I seem to recall one of the early things to go in the various budget rounds was the architecture.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,540
    Leon said:

Falls Road, Belfast
    Carrickfergus, NI
    Foula, Shetland
    Fort William
    Farne Islands
    Jarrow
    Chapeltown Leeds
    Caernarfon
    Aberfan
    Ironbridge