Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The betting chart that says BoJo’s survived PartyGate – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,922
    edited May 2022
    So, we are in the position where biggus canus survives and in a few days if durham police feel like rolling the dice a borderline tearful Keir and Angela offer their resignations and disappear into the politucal ether.
    The first news item on the newly elected leader is a picture of them having a beer in lockdown.
    Its never, ever going to end
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,498

Thanks to Johnson for delivering the next Labour Government.

Tory majority remains favourite in the Next Government Handicap at 15/8.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,599
    edited May 2022

Archbishop of Canterbury Justin Welby wades into partygate political row
    Archbishop of Canterbury Justin Welby said “we need to rediscover” good standards in public life, following the publication of Sue Gray’s report on partygate.

The archbishop said: “Sue Gray’s report shows that culture, behaviour and standards in public life really matter.

“We need to be able to trust our national institutions, particularly in times of great trouble.

“Jesus commands us to serve the most vulnerable and those in need. To help achieve this, we must recover the principles of mutual flourishing and the common good in the way we are governed.

“Standards in public life are the glue that holds us together – we need to rediscover them and abide by them.”

Ooh, isn't that the Established Church of England which is supposed mystically to convey divine right to rule on the Crown and thence the Prime Minister?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,664

Archbishop of Canterbury Justin Welby said “we need to rediscover” good standards in public life, following the publication of Sue Gray’s report on partygate.

The archbishop said: “Sue Gray’s report shows that culture, behaviour and standards in public life really matter.

“We need to be able to trust our national institutions, particularly in times of great trouble.

“Jesus commands us to serve the most vulnerable and those in need. To help achieve this, we must recover the principles of mutual flourishing and the common good in the way we are governed.

“Standards in public life are the glue that holds us together – we need to rediscover them and abide by them.”

There's a whole committee on standards in public life. When they reported on ethical standards in local government the government took several years to reply (in fairness Covid deservedly occupied most attention) and basically stuck with 'Leave it to the electorate, even slaps on the wrist are too much otherwise'.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,299
    BREAKING Conservative MP Julian Study issues statement calling on the PM to resign just as Boris Johnson addresses the 1922 committee.

https://twitter.com/christopherhope/status/1529498033305559042
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,129
    Scott_xP said:

Fresh Tory MP sticks head above parapet to call for Boris Johnson to go.

I am hearing from other sources some letters going in from Blue and Red wall MPs.

Others, however, very skeptical they'll get the numbers to trigger vote of no confidence.

https://twitter.com/JulianSturdy/status/1529496348445265920

Is there anyone by this point who isn't bored to tears at hearing all this tedious nonsense about Graham Brady and his stack of letters? The likelihood of the mythical magic number being attained is comparable to that of Elvis being found alive; the probability of a motion actually to remove the Prime Minister is another order of magnitude lower than that. Like the Government itself, it's all just so much empty, worthless garbage.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,524
    pigeon said:

I don't expect him to go, but I'm not convinced this is quite over yet. MPs who take their time and have a leisurely read of the Report for themselves may wonder how on earth he can credibly carry on as PM when he exercises so little control over what goes on under his own roof.

They will make a calculation about what it best for their careers and nothing else. Probity doesn't come into it. Shame certainly doesn't.

They don't have any shame. Generally speaking, politicians don't. If they did, they couldn't function. Most Labour MPs tolerated Corbyn because they lacked the strength to seize the party back off him, and they knew that leaving on moral grounds equalled political career death, as the fates of Luciana Berger, Chuka Umunna et al. so ably demonstrated. The only way to be rid of him was through his decisive electoral defeat.

I reckon that the Tories will look at Johnson, his ability to survive scandal and his skill (real or imagined) in connecting with the party's new voter coalition, and decide to keep him. The minority who've publicly called for him to go will all, or nearly all, stay put anyway, because they refuse to be forced out of their party by his behaviour, or they fear going the way of the Change UK lot, or both. A couple more in Con-Lab marginals might follow Wakeford across the floor, albeit the fact that they've not done it before now suggests that this is unlikely. That's about it.

Fundamentally, the Conservative polling position isn't too bad for a mid-term Government, and all the voters who were going to dump the party over, well, the parties have already done so. The Tories will likely spend the rest of this Parliament trying not to upset their aged core vote too much, hosing them down with cash as and when required, and have a good chance of winning the next election. The Conservative backbenches won't rock the boat by chucking the Prime Minister overboard under these circumstances. He's safe.
    Just one quibble. You say "most Labour Party MPs tolerated Corbyn". Not really the case. He lost a no-confidence vote by MPs in 2016 by 172 to 40. The membership then decided to reinstate him, overwhelmingly. It's no surprise that the MPs didn't try again. But, unlike current Tory MPs, at least they tried to depose the leader.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,827
    Sir Beer Korma SBK is a lame Peking duck over Party Gate
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,163

So, we are in the position where biggus canus survives and in a few days if durham police feel like rolling the dice a borderline tearful Keir and Angela offer their resignations and disappear into the politucal ether.
    The first news item on the newly elected leader is a picture of them having a beer in lockdown.

Oh, that's an interesting point.

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,544
    kle4 said:

Evie Breese
    @EvieBreese
    ·
    4h
    Imagine being the cleaner having to scrub red wine off the walls inside No10 while banned from visiting your own family at Christmas

I note one part of the report states that there were multiple examples of a lack of respect and poor treatment of security and cleaning staff.

You have to be a pretty big shit to rise to the level of 'poor treatment' of such staff. Lack of respect, sure, that might be easier to be unintentional, but it isn't hard to not be a dick to them, so I regard it as a rather important point about the people working there and how they operate.

I'd be willing to bet many of them have uttered the dread phrase 'Do you know who I am/who I work for' in their lives before.
    Bullingdon boys never grow up.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

Cabinet Ministers are understandably very angry at having to defend a lying asshole again and again and by acknowledging this in a tweet I’ve somehow contrived to draw a line under something that will never change and will remain unforgivable.
    https://twitter.com/sajidjavid/status/1529489291830824962

I see moving on to "tackle the big challenges" is the official line from Whips that all MPs must now tweet in next three hours.

On which ... Mr Ross is outdoing himself.

https://www.thenational.scot/news/20165550.douglas-ross-calls-boris-johnson-resign-ukraine-war/?ref=ebbn

"The Moray MP, who said in January that Johnson should resign before U-turning because of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, accepts that Johnson should step down … but not until the war in Ukraine is over."
    There was literally no benefit to him u-turning. Now he will be detested by No. 10 and not even have grudging respect for courage of his convictions.
    Quite, he has upset everyone (except perhaps the statue of the Duke of Gordon on the monument in Elgin).
    I suspect Douglas will end up being the Tory leader actually ousted by all this
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,138
    Cyclefree said:

Off topic but tangentially related.

It looks as if the Financial Ombudsman is not going to support my daughter in her claim against her insurers in relation to the expensive insurance policy she took out against diseases like Covid.

Despite the House of Lords case, despite providing evidence that 2 people visited her pub with the disease before she was shut down. Apparently, because they did not have symptoms the policy does not bite. The fact that people with symptoms were being told not to go out is irrelevant.

Grr..... Honestly I am so furious and so sad for her. In this country if you work hard - and, Christ, she worked harder than anyone I've seen before - and do the right thing, you just get shafted. Your money is taken but you get fuck all back for it from those who claim to provide a service. People with Air BnB's locally were getting the same grants as her and then just lying back and using the money to buy more properties so that even with the money she's managed to save she still can't get onto the property ladder because prices have gone up.

I am angry. I am so angry that I'm in a get me some ropes and lampposts and hang the fuckers from them mood. Peter Hennessy talked recently about a bonfire of the decencies. Too fucking right. She's lost two years of her life having no social life, an appallingly stressful working life, and gets screwed over with few good prospects ahead because now we have inflation and a recession on the way. Same for my 2 sons.

I am sorry for all the swearing. But, fuck it, the people in charge who have made such a fucking awful mess of everything they touch deserve to rot in hell for what they have done and what they are doing, especially to our young.

My three are my offering to the future.

What future?

🤬

The FOS is something of a lottery who seem, on occasions, to make stuff up as they go along without any consistency. If your daughter has policy wording that is analogous to the various sets of wording determined by the Supreme Court to cover the current scenario then there are several groups of solicitors who will take her case on a no win, no fee basis and sue. Of course, they will take a cut of the winnings but she should explore these options rather than simply accepting a decision that is not necessarily consistent with the actual law but their understanding of practice.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,186

Like expenses-gate it can run on and on and on
  • Options
    BannedinnParisBannedinnParis Posts: 1,884

There's clearly many, many photos out there.

Both the birthday party and the leaving do were reported at the time. Do the journalists job by simply looking through old copies of the Times.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

Cabinet Ministers are understandably very angry at having to defend a lying asshole again and again and by acknowledging this in a tweet I’ve somehow contrived to draw a line under something that will never change and will remain unforgivable.

I see moving on to "tackle the big challenges" is the official line from Whips that all MPs must now tweet in next three hours.

https://www.thenational.scot/news/20165550.douglas-ross-calls-boris-johnson-resign-ukraine-war/?ref=ebbn

"The Moray MP, who said in January that Johnson should resign before U-turning because of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, accepts that Johnson should step down … but not until the war in Ukraine is over."
    There was literally no benefit to him u-turning. Now he will be detested by No. 10 and not even have grudging respect for courage of his convictions.
    Quite, he has upset everyone (except perhaps the statue of the Duke of Gordon on the monument in Elgin).
    I suspect Douglas will end up being the Tory leader actually ousted by all this
    Hmm, you might be right (though I hope not, out of fairness)!
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Carnyx said:

Ooh, isn't that the Established Church of England which is supposed mystically to convey divine right to rule on the Crown and thence the Prime Minister?
    Um, no, it is very clear from the Act of Settlement 1701 that the kingship is ultimately in the gift of the people, not of God. Oddly, about the latest text explicitly upholding the DRK is the Basilikon Doron by James VI of Scotland (before he was famous).
  • Options

There's clearly many, many photos out there.

Both the birthday party and the leaving do were reported at the time. Do the journalists job by simply looking through old copies of the Times.
    Fair point, although some have I think over egged the 'reported at the time' thing as a means of diversion. Even when that's true we don't always recognise the significance of something in the moment.
  • Options

Yep. We are ruled by arses.
  • Options
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

MISTY said:

Foxy said:

Maybe survived Partygate, but plenty more room for events in 2022.

When you look at the differences in approach between Baker/Harper and (say) Chris Skidmore/Zac Goldsmith, the ousting of Johnson could create a vicious and profound policy civil war in the tory party.

Many tory MPs are I suspect absolutely terrified of having that conflict. And so they cling on.
    I agree. There really is no concept for what the Tory Party is for. It's been Brexit since the referendum, with a Civil War over that. Before that it was austerity.
    What is it now?
    A leadership election may have to attempt to answer that question.
    That's the problem. The Tory Party is for the preservation of Boris Johnson and the enrichment of its friends and patrons. That's all. There is no policy platform, no ideological clarity, no mission to deliver.

Just watch tomorrow. They're going to stick £20 back on UC after screaming the place down about how keeping the uplift was profoundly wrong. They're going to scalp money from energy producers and use it to subsidise energy retailers. Which was described as "anti-Conservative". The more they send liars and idiots (from the Cabinet) onto the media to say its an awful idea, the more you know they will end up doing it.
    Got my letter about my £150 today.
    Wouldn't be surprised to see another one soon.
    There'll be an almighty ejaculation of cash.
    And a claim that they're the tax cutting Party.
    Cyclefree said:

It looks as if the Financial Ombudsman is not going to support my daughter in her claim against her insurers in relation to the expensive insurance policy she took out against diseases like Covid.

Despite the House of Lords case, despite providing evidence that 2 people visited her pub with the disease before she was shut down. Apparently, because they did not have symptoms the policy does not bite. The fact that people with symptoms were being told not to go out is irrelevant.

Grr..... Honestly I am so furious and so sad for her. In this country if you work hard - and, Christ, she worked harder than anyone I've seen before - and do the right thing, you just get shafted. Your money is taken but you get fuck all back for it from those who claim to provide a service. People with Air BnB's locally were getting the same grants as her and then just lying back and using the money to buy more properties so that even with the money she's managed to save she still can't get onto the property ladder because prices have gone up.

I am angry. I am so angry that I'm in a get me some ropes and lampposts and hang the fuckers from them mood. Peter Hennessy talked recently about a bonfire of the decencies. Too fucking right. She's lost two years of her life having no social life, an appallingly stressful working life, and gets screwed over with few good prospects ahead because now we have inflation and a recession on the way. Same for my 2 sons.

I am sorry for all the swearing. But, fuck it, the people in charge who have made such a fucking awful mess of everything they touch deserve to rot in hell for what they have done and what they are doing, especially to our young.

What future?

🤬

Seriously, emigrate.
    Maybe to Australia, or Canada, or Switzerland or maybe even to the States.

The UK is not a good place to be young and hardworking anymore.
    Where is? Certainly not America. Too many intractable problems. And utterly poisonous politics. Worse than the UK

Canada is dull, Switzerland is horribly expensive and dull, Australia is the only place maybe. But there you are a trillion miles from anywhere and at the mercy of climate change

It’s honestly hard to be optimistic about anywhere on earth, at the moment. Which is awful

I was just reading this climate change fear porn about Pakistan. 51C in May

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/may/25/it-seems-this-heat-will-take-our-lives-pakistan-city-fearful-jacobabad-after-hitting-51c
    Just possibly an island with a nuclear deterrent, temperate climate, regular elections of a free and fairish nature, tolerance, reasonable freedom of speech, 7 universities in the world top 50, where 30% of babies are born to foreign born mothers who have voluntarily arrived here, possessing a global language and a massive sense of irony has its attractions?

A lot of people would think that being allowed to live in the UK is to have a winning lottery ticket.

• Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,875

I’ve gone right off this “Jesus” bloke. Commanding this and that. Who the fuck does he think he is? Just because he’s got a famous father
  • Options

Yep. We are ruled by arses.
    If only, those provide comfort and expel waste away from us, most useful.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

What future?

🤬

The FOS is something of a lottery who seem, on occasions, to make stuff up as they go along without any consistency. If your daughter has policy wording that is analogous to the various sets of wording determined by the Supreme Court to cover the current scenario then there are several groups of solicitors who will take her case on a no win, no fee basis and sue. Of course, they will take a cut of the winnings but she should explore these options rather than simply accepting a decision that is not necessarily consistent with the actual law but their understanding of practice.
    And possibility of a class action, since I am guessing there's thousands in the same boat, which would add clout and possibly reduce the lawyers' slice a bit.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Leon said:

Jonathan said:

The sad thing about all this for me, is that I used to think politics and parliament mattered.

Despite big differences in values and priorities, I used to think the other side, however misguided, were at least sincere and trying in their own way to improve things. I used to argue with people to convince them to engage and give it all a chance. Occasionally time proved the other side right.

What a waste of time. Right now for No10, politics is a game played for laughs and personal gain. An ego trip in which, we the public, are just pawns and our livelihoods the betting chips.

The sooner Boris goes the better, but the damage is probably done.

Perhaps your side shouldn’t have tried to cancel democracy by calling for a 2nd vote, and ignoring the biggest mandate in British political history, and all of it organised by your esteemed Sir Beer Korma, who is now your fucking LEADER, not hiding away in shame, as he should be. And you have the gall to prate on about trust and integrity? What the 2nd voters tried to do - a Trumpite coup - absolutely dwarfs any of Boris’ sordid little lies. At least he is a democrat

Grrr. Enough. Let Boris thrash you again, and again, and again. C’mon Big Dog
    QED.
    I have successfully hacked Seans Account
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    edited May 2022
    Johnson will survive. If he went, the The Tory membership would only choose another Brexiteer. Based on that criteria Johnson is about as good as it gets and I suspect that is what stays the hands of most of the MPs.

Not sure whether he can pull off an election win in 2024. He will need to convince the RedWall leavers that Brexit has improved their lot and hope that they feel that "levelling-up" wasn't just an empty slogan.

If these voters drift away then I think he loses because I cannot see those degree-educated, middle-class remainers that have deserted the Tories returning while Johnson is at the helm.

The Tories will probably run a very toxic culture-war campaign orchestrated by Crosby but I wouldn't bet on it not working. The Tories don't target their message at the least educated for nought. 2 years out I would say it is 50/50.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Doesn't sound quite right. I mean, we literally ignored the next in line and invited in some other bloke in when we felt like it.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Carnyx said:

Um, no, it is very clear from the Act of Settlement 1701 that the kingship is ultimately in the gift of the people, not of God. Oddly, about the latest text explicitly upholding the DRK is the Basilikon Doron by James VI of Scotland (before he was famous).
    I thought Chas 1 was rather keen on the DRK?
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Leon said:

I’ve gone right off this “Jesus” bloke. Commanding this and that. Who the fuck does he think he is? Just because he’s got a famous father
    It's a bit of a secret but the actual Jesus, a fairly well documented character of the ancient world of whom quite a lot is known considering his obscurity and unimportance, didn't talk much like our actual archbishops.

• Options
    Laura Kuenssberg Translator
    @BBCLauraKT
    ·
    4h
    BREAKING: Carrie Johnson is pregnant with triplets 😍
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,390
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Jonathan said:

The sad thing about all this for me, is that I used to think politics and parliament mattered.

Despite big differences in values and priorities, I used to think the other side, however misguided, were at least sincere and trying in their own way to improve things. I used to argue with people to convince them to engage and give it all a chance. Occasionally time proved the other side right.

What a waste of time. Right now for No10, politics is a game played for laughs and personal gain. An ego trip in which, we the public, are just pawns and our livelihoods the betting chips.

Perhaps your side shouldn’t have tried to cancel democracy by calling for a 2nd vote, and ignoring the biggest mandate in British political history, and all of it organised by your esteemed Sir Beer Korma, who is now your fucking LEADER, not hiding away in shame, as he should be. And you have the gall to prate on about trust and integrity? What the 2nd voters tried to do - a Trumpite coup - absolutely dwarfs any of Boris’ sordid little lies. At least he is a democrat

I see you enjoy recycling his excrement.
    I am perfectly sincere. You may find my opinions execrable or idiotic or bizarre, but I am not generating fake outrage, I am sincerely outraged. I now understand how some Americans feel about Trump

When I look back at what the 2nd Voters tried to do to British democracy I lose it. I find it hard to stay calm. They should all be driven from public life, and probably put in jail. It sickens me. This is probably not good for me, but there it is.

Perhaps the poison will not be drained from British politics until all the major players in Brexit - Leave and Remain - have left the scene. That means Boris and Korma have to go. So be it. That’s fine with me

But the Remoaning 2nd voters have to quit AND BE PUNISHED, so that no one ever ever tries this again
    It’s a very odd obsession from someone whose side won.
    And utterly undemocratic.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

Doesn't sound quite right. I mean, we literally ignored the next in line and invited in some other bloke in when we felt like it.
    Quite, but it's been invoked quite recently, like here on PB as regards Chas III never mind Chas 1. Though there are apparently other reasons for the C of E, one of which is to provide soemwhere to get married if the priest likes your face, and the other of which is too nasty for me to repeat.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited May 2022

@BBCLauraKT
    ·
    4h

If that was the real (not parody account), that would obviously be followed by "Boris to resign.....he can't afford to feed them on his meagre wage during this cost of living crisis."
  • Options

@BBCLauraKT
    ·
    4h

"Chief propagandist @BBCFNews
    . Owns Carrie-shaped pin-doll. Parody."
  • Options
    Things still ongoing:

Judicial review of the Met by kimono man

Khan inquiry into Met

Privileges Committee

LD Humble Address to see minutes of Johnson Gray meeting

anything else?
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

MISTY said:

Foxy said:

When you look at the differences in approach between Baker/Harper and (say) Chris Skidmore/Zac Goldsmith, the ousting of Johnson could create a vicious and profound policy civil war in the tory party.

Many tory MPs are I suspect absolutely terrified of having that conflict. And so they cling on.
    I agree. There really is no concept for what the Tory Party is for. It's been Brexit since the referendum, with a Civil War over that. Before that it was austerity.
    What is it now?
    That's the problem. The Tory Party is for the preservation of Boris Johnson and the enrichment of its friends and patrons. That's all. There is no policy platform, no ideological clarity, no mission to deliver.

Just watch tomorrow. They're going to stick £20 back on UC after screaming the place down about how keeping the uplift was profoundly wrong. They're going to scalp money from energy producers and use it to subsidise energy retailers. Which was described as "anti-Conservative". The more they send liars and idiots (from the Cabinet) onto the media to say its an awful idea, the more you know they will end up doing it.
    Cyclefree said:

What future?

🤬

Seriously, emigrate.

Where is? Certainly not America. Too many intractable problems. And utterly poisonous politics. Worse than the UK

Canada is dull, Switzerland is horribly expensive and dull, Australia is the only place maybe. But there you are a trillion miles from anywhere and at the mercy of climate change

It’s honestly hard to be optimistic about anywhere on earth, at the moment. Which is awful

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/may/25/it-seems-this-heat-will-take-our-lives-pakistan-city-fearful-jacobabad-after-hitting-51c
    Just possibly an island with a nuclear deterrent, temperate climate, regular elections of a free and fairish nature, tolerance, reasonable freedom of speech, 7 universities in the world top 50, where 30% of babies are born to foreign born mothers who have voluntarily arrived here, possessing a global language and a massive sense of irony has its attractions?

A lot of people would think that being allowed to live in the UK is to have a winning lottery ticket.

It’s a fair point

I would dispute the temperate climate bit, I don’t find months of darkness and dankness and drizzle very temperate, but other than that, yes, probably true

Greece is actually quite appealing, but only if you want to retire. Lovely climate, sense of self and family, beautiful unspoiled landscapes, no dreadful Woke bollocks, friendly without being obsequious. But you wouldn’t want to be young and ambitious…
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Things still ongoing:

Khan inquiry into Met

Privileges Committee

anything else?

Industrial tribunals?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,138
    IshmaelZ said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

What future?

🤬

And possibility of a class action, since I am guessing there's thousands in the same boat, which would add clout and possibly reduce the lawyers' slice a bit.
    I am not a great fan of spec actions myself but its not often that you can start one with a Supreme Court decision in your favour! It will all depend on the wording of the insurance contract.

I have been a self employed advocate for more than 20 years now and have never had a business interruption or keyman type insurance because I have had too many cases where someone who has been dumped right in the soup by some unfortunate event finds that recovery under the policy is yet another problem to add to the pile. There would be a much bigger market for these things if the insurance companies were not so..., lets settle for problematic, about paying out when a relevant event occurs.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

Carnyx said:

I thought Chas 1 was rather keen on the DRK?
    Fucking right, is my understanding, but he didn't write a book about it I don't think.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Things still ongoing:

Khan inquiry into Met

Privileges Committee

anything else?

Oh God, that prick Maugham isnt sticking his oar in is he?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

FWIW parliament by statute fixes the succession, not the CoE; parliament fixed the matter in 1688 and after, (1701 etc) and indeed has recently legislated to change it (STCA 2013).

• Options
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Jonathan said:

I am perfectly sincere. You may find my opinions execrable or idiotic or bizarre, but I am not generating fake outrage, I am sincerely outraged. I now understand how some Americans feel about Trump

When I look back at what the 2nd Voters tried to do to British democracy I lose it. I find it hard to stay calm. They should all be driven from public life, and probably put in jail. It sickens me. This is probably not good for me, but there it is.

Perhaps the poison will not be drained from British politics until all the major players in Brexit - Leave and Remain - have left the scene. That means Boris and Korma have to go. So be it. That’s fine with me

But the Remoaning 2nd voters have to quit AND BE PUNISHED, so that no one ever ever tries this again
    Biden won. Yet Americans are still animated and angered by the attempt to sabotage American democracy in DC

Ditto the UK and the 2nd voter Trumpites. For me. I admit I am quite rare in my anger. But I reckon that’s because I’m one of the few people who has sat down and thought through what would have happened if the 2nd voters had prevailed
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,579
    A PUB is selling a beer named after the report into parties in Downing Street.

The Sue Gray Report, brewed by Downlands Brewery, is a “Covid rules safe beverage that pairs well with important work meetings, garden and cake”.

The six per cent hazy IPA has been very popular according to Haus On The Hill in Southover Street, Brighton.

The keg badge is in purple with the Royal Coat of Arms with “Sue Gray Report” underneath. It is described as a garden table beer.

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/20165522.pub-brighton-sells-sue-gray-report-themed-beer/
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379

IshmaelZ said:

Things still ongoing:

Khan inquiry into Met

Privileges Committee

anything else?

Is it a day that ends in a Y?
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Things still ongoing:

Khan inquiry into Met

Privileges Committee

anything else?

As long as people stump up a load of money via crowd funding.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,163

Boris: I felt I had a duty to say goodbye in person to colleagues who were leaving.

Boris: I'm sorry, but you must not say goodbye in person to relatives dying of Covid.

We've all been taken for fools frankly.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

Johnson will survive. If he went, the The Tory membership would only choose another Brexiteer. Based on that criteria Johnson is about as good as it gets and I suspect that is what stays the hands of most of the MPs.

Not sure whether he can pull off an election win in 2024. He will need to convince the RedWall leavers that Brexit has improved their lot and hope that they feel that "levelling-up" wasn't just an empty slogan.

If these voters drift away then I think he loses because I cannot see those degree-educated, middle-class remainers that have deserted the Tories returning while Johnson is at the helm.

The Tories will probably run a very toxic culture-war campaign orchestrated by Crosby but I wouldn't bet on it not working. The Tories don't target their message at the least educated for nought. 2 years out I would say it is 50/50.

Yes. Another factor working in Johnson's favour is that the prevailing wisdom at present is that Liz Truss will probably make the run-off in a leadership election and be crowned by the members.

The next Conservative election campaign will go heavy on a variety of perceived Labour weaknesses such as permissive policies on borders and refugees, Europhilia and the role of Scottish Nationalism in a Hung Parliament - all aimed at convincing already receptive elderly and provincial voters from taking the risk of changing sides. I think it has a reasonable chance of success.
  • Options
    Leon said:

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

MISTY said:

Foxy said:

What is it now?

Cyclefree said:

What future?

🤬

Seriously, emigrate.

It’s a fair point

I would dispute the temperate climate bit, I don’t find months of darkness and dankness and drizzle very temperate, but other than that, yes, probably true

Greece is actually quite appealing, but only if you want to retire. Lovely climate, sense of self and family, beautiful unspoiled landscapes, no dreadful Woke bollocks, friendly without being obsequious. But you wouldn’t want to be young and ambitious…
    Agree our climate is sub optimal, and the sun is in the wrong place for about 8 months of the year. (And the northern half of Britain is much worse for all this). But the merit of being temperate is that the possibility of climate change is marginally less likely to be intolerable than, say, in Morocco or Iraq.

• Options
    Applicant said:

IshmaelZ said:

Things still ongoing:

Khan inquiry into Met

Privileges Committee

anything else?

Is it a day that ends in a Y?
    He can lose the case and declare an historic victory suimultaneously on twitter
  • Options

Boris: I felt I had a duty to say goodbye in person to colleagues who were leaving.

Boris: I'm sorry, but you must not say goodbye in person to relatives dying of Covid.

Boris not feeling any duty to family, so out of character.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Leon said:

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

MISTY said:

Foxy said:

What is it now?

Cyclefree said:

What future?

🤬

Seriously, emigrate.

It’s a fair point

The obvious solution is remote working from different locations based upon the time of year.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,253
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Jonathan said:

I’m one of the few people who has sat down and thought through what would have happened if the 2nd voters had prevailed
    As I understand it you vacillated between Leave and Remain right up to the ballot box. You were an ardent remainer on here until the very last moment and have continued to vacillate since.

Your opprobrium towards 2nd voters who are themselves merely a symptom of a bloody stupid flawed referendum process is wearisome to most everyone else.

lots of love

xx
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775

IshmaelZ said:

Things still ongoing:

Khan inquiry into Met

Privileges Committee

anything else?

Terrible, ain't it? Lawyers involving themselves in the law.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Leon said:

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

MISTY said:

Foxy said:

What is it now?

Cyclefree said:

What future?

🤬

Seriously, emigrate.

It’s a fair point

Agree our climate is sub optimal, and the sun is in the wrong place for about 8 months of the year. (And the northern half of Britain is much worse for all this). But the merit of being temperate is that the possibility of climate change is marginally less likely to be intolerable than, say, in Morocco or Iraq.

India is the one that scares me. Chunks of it are already desert, and record insane temperatures. It is the sporadic heavy rain that makes it fertile and endurable. If the rains ever falter….

That’s 1.4bn poor people, who could be pushed into desperation, with a fairly modest shift in climate towards the negative. And there are already ominous signs
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845
    Heathener said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Jonathan said:

I’m one of the few people who has sat down and thought through what would have happened if the 2nd voters had prevailed
    As I understand it you vacillated between Leave and Remain right up to the ballot box. You were an ardent remainer on here until the very last moment and have continued to vacillate since.

Your opprobrium towards 2nd voters who are themselves merely a symptom of a bloody stupid flawed referendum process is wearisome to most everyone else.

lots of love

xx
    Too kind.
    It’s an utter batshit take which he keeps pushing in the hope of another commission from the Speccy.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,314
    edited May 2022

I think actually that Boris did strongly hint at the time that sensible rule breaking was permissible. The real sting lies in events like funerals that were 'public', where rulebreaking would have been impossible for most.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

IshmaelZ said:

Things still ongoing:

Khan inquiry into Met

Privileges Committee

anything else?

His record would suggest he has launched quite a few spurious actions for political reasons. He'd still annoy the government, but invite less derision, if he chose his actions with a little more care, since it is very important to challenge government. But launch nonsense actions and it makes it easier for the government to suggest all challenges are nonsense. He thus aids them sometimes.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Jonathan said:

Biden won. Yet Americans are still animated and angered by the attempt to sabotage American democracy in DC

Ditto the UK and the 2nd voter Trumpites. For me. I admit I am quite rare in my anger. But I reckon that’s because I’m one of the few people who has sat down and thought through what would have happened if the 2nd voters had prevailed
    You've been radicalised against the democratic process.
  • Options
    On topic it's the by-elections which will settle this
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Jonathan said:

lots of love

xx
    Fuck off
  • Options
    2nd voters are as relevant today as Dominic Grieve and Anna Soubry. Yesterday's itchy butthole.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924

rcs1000 said:

Applicant said:

Foxy said:

MISTY said:

I understand the report came out today, but I still think the site overplays partygate, and underplays cost of living.

Looking at the economic runes, I don't see how the coming winter is not the winter from hell for the tories.

First a Rail strike then other sectors, including NHS. Welcome to the Seventies.
    I dreaded this.

It’s partly why I moved to New York.
    Yes, there was a big pull (ie a job), but also a decent push.

I truly think the UK is buggered through the 2020s. This is on top of being quite buggered in the 2010s.

I know the cheap rejoinder is that the US is no better, or even worse, but at least I earn more, and my taxes are lower. I need to think about my protecting my income/wealth for retirement, which I hope to do in my 50s.
    Even when adjusting for healthcare costs?
    I live in LA - if you are in a salaried role, then healthcare (in 99% of cases) come with the job. So long as you never become unemployed (or at least not until you're eligible for Medicare), then you're fine. Of course, one could argue that this is just a hidden tax (in that the employer will need to pay you less), but that's another story.

I have found US taxes - in general - to be higher than the UK. My property tax is astronomical, and California + Los Angeles + Federal taxes are across the board higher for both income and capital gains.

On the other hand, there are some truly ridiculous tax breaks here. I am allowed to depreciate rental properties (and to count the depreciation as a real cost); this means that rental properties can be generating you an income... and at the same time lowering your actual tax bill. It's truly magic.
    I currently have no US capital gains to be taxed, nor US property either. So it’s straight income tax for me…

The equation may change in time, although I still think it hard to imagine the US taxing more given the 45p top rate + NI in the UK.
    How does a rental property depreciate?
    The US tax code assumes that all property depreciates by a certain percentage, you could reframe this as maintenance costs.
    No, you get to charge maintenance costs too.

The reason, as I understand it, is that American houses are all wood. Therefore, every 30 odd years you will need to completely rebuild it. However, apartment complexes and the like are not wood and will last a lot longer, and therefore you can take advantage of this to maximise cash flows.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

IshmaelZ said:

Things still ongoing:

Khan inquiry into Met

Privileges Committee

anything else?

He claims I think that it was his threat of JR that got the Met to investigate in the first place (thus completely neutralising Gray so huzzah for unintended consequences).
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Leon said:

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

MISTY said:

Foxy said:

What is it now?

Cyclefree said:

What future?

🤬

Seriously, emigrate.

It’s a fair point

It would be very pleasant.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Farooq said:

IshmaelZ said:

Things still ongoing:

Khan inquiry into Met

Privileges Committee

anything else?

His record would suggest he has launched quite a few spurious actions for political reasons. He'd still annoy the government, but invite less derision, if he chose his actions with a little more care, since it is very important to challenge government. But launch nonsense actions and it makes it easier for the government to suggest all challenges are nonsense. He thus aids them sometimes.
    He's fairly lucky he hasn't ended up on this list.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,249
    Farooq said:

IshmaelZ said:

Things still ongoing:

Khan inquiry into Met

Privileges Committee

anything else?

Terrible isn't it? Boris involving himself in politics....

They are cheeks of the same arse.

Maugham is a new kind of ambulance chaser. Actually, that is quite unfair. The ambulance chasing lawyers often win their cases.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,299
    Two thirds say that the PM should resign given the findings of the Gray report.

Should resign 65%
    Should not resign 25%
    DK 10%

https://twitter.com/SavantaComRes/status/1529505538035396608
  • Options
    Farooq said:

IshmaelZ said:

Things still ongoing:

Khan inquiry into Met

Privileges Committee

anything else?

Maugham being involved in anything is grim.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,473
    Heathener said:

On topic it's the by-elections which will settle this

True. If the Tories don't get close in either of them the letters will definitely be in
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Farooq said:

IshmaelZ said:

Things still ongoing:

Khan inquiry into Met

Privileges Committee

anything else?

I don't really care whether his motivations are political or not. He's acting within his area of expertise and there is a system for deciding whether his challenges have merit or not. He wins when he's right and loses when he's wrong. No need for anyone to get excited about it.
  • Options
    edited May 2022

Farooq said:

IshmaelZ said:

Things still ongoing:

Khan inquiry into Met

Privileges Committee

anything else?

I feel that way about you on here, but I usually keep that to myself.
  • Options

I think actually that Boris did strongly hint at the time that sensible rule breaking was permissible. The real sting lies in events like funerals that were 'public', where rulebreaking would have been impossible for most.
    If there was a load of nudge nudge, wink wink it was very well disguised. The general tenor of all the instructions issued during that whole miserable period, backed up by a constant heavy bombardment of moral blackmail from politicians, medics and public information campaigns alike, was (1) you must obey all the rules and (2) if you don't obey them people will die and it will be your fault.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Leon said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Jonathan said:

lots of love

xx
    Fuck off
    Lovely.

You are a classic example of someone who is happy to dish out rudeness but the moment your own, vacillatory, stance is placed under scrutiny you lash out at everyone.

I was perfectly polite. Merely pointing out a) your inconsistency on Brexit and the EU and b) your current obsession about that bygone rump of '2nd voters'.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,249
    kle4 said:

Farooq said:

IshmaelZ said:

Things still ongoing:

Khan inquiry into Met

Privileges Committee

anything else?

Paying Maugham to oppose you would probably be a sound investment, politically.
  • Options
    Leon said:

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

MISTY said:

Foxy said:

What is it now?

Cyclefree said:

What future?

🤬

Seriously, emigrate.

It’s a fair point

India is the one that scares me. Chunks of it are already desert, and record insane temperatures. It is the sporadic heavy rain that makes it fertile and endurable. If the rains ever falter….

That’s 1.4bn poor people, who could be pushed into desperation, with a fairly modest shift in climate towards the negative. And there are already ominous signs
    I agree. The top items on the global Risk Register are the ones where all three lemons are in a row: Catastrophic. Plausible/Likely. Insoluble.

FWIW it seems to me that if the climate change guys are right then the only solution will be if there is a technical fix. For all the talk limiting harmful output sufficiently is not going to occur.

• Options

2nd voters are as relevant today as Dominic Grieve and Anna Soubry. Yesterday's itchy butthole.

Take 5 minutes, sit down, stare out of the window, and then imagine what would have happened if we’d had a 2nd vote with Remain on the ballot, as so many wanted, especially (but absolutely not exclusively) those on the Left. Led by Kier Starmer

There. Exactly
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,661

Two thirds say that the PM should resign given the findings of the Gray report.

Should resign 65%
    Should not resign 25%
    DK 10%

https://twitter.com/SavantaComRes/status/1529505538035396608

How many have actually bothered to read the Gray report? 1-2% perhaps?
    How many minds have been changed by the Gray report? <10%??

Did we really need to wait for Gray?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Take 5 minutes, sit down, stare out of the window, and then imagine what would have happened if we’d had a 2nd vote with Remain on the ballot, as so many wanted, especially (but absolutely not exclusively) those on the Left. Led by Kier Starmer

There. Exactly
    A vein would have popped in your head?
  • Options
    Leon said:

There. Exactly
    Yes, i know. But we saw them off. They are gone, like a dose of the clap. The vanquished, crying about passport queues and the European vaccine procurement programme in the dark, sullen, defeated and irrelevant.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    pigeon said:

If there was a load of nudge nudge, wink wink it was very well disguised. The general tenor of all the instructions issued during that whole miserable period, backed up by a constant heavy bombardment of moral blackmail from politicians, medics and public information campaigns alike, was (1) you must obey all the rules and (2) if you don't obey them people will die and it will be your fault.
    Yes, I mean him personally. I remember him advocating 'sensible interpretation of the rules', probably because he knew he was breaking them regularly. Most of us (though admittedly it is more an English trait than a Scottish one) are happy to do 80 on a motorway if we judge it safe (from danger and punishment) to do so.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,661
    Leon said:

There. Exactly
    Leave would have won and we would have left, but we wouldnt have needed Boris as Tory leader. Next!
  • Options

Leon said:

There. Exactly
    Yes, i know. But we saw them off. They are gone, like a dose of the clap. The vanquished, crying about passport queues and the European vaccine procurement programme in the dark, sullen, defeated and irrelevant.
    Dead and gone, like Hamlet Senior?
    But, soft: behold! lo where it comes again!
    I'll cross it, though it blast me. - Stay, illusion!
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    algarkirk said:

Leon said:

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

MISTY said:

Foxy said:

What is it now?

Cyclefree said:

What future?

🤬

Seriously, emigrate.

It’s a fair point

I agree. The top items on the global Risk Register are the ones where all three lemons are in a row: Catastrophic. Plausible/Likely. Insoluble.

FWIW it seems to me that if the climate change guys are right then the only solution will be if there is a technical fix. For all the talk limiting harmful output sufficiently is not going to occur.

If it's any consolation, all the indicators are in the red. If we fixed the climate tomorrow there's still soil depletion, plastic, overpopulation, pollinator loss and pollution waiting to get us.

Technical fix of a planet-sized system is fantasy.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040
    edited May 2022
    Leon said:

There. Exactly
    The UK would be in a far far better place than it is now. Instead the disingenuous fat fornicator is turning this country into a latrine. It is now clear what the Tory strategy is - culture wars, hostility towards the EU and other “foreign” interests relying on the ignorant and the uneducated for their support. It’s possible that this strategy will work but alas the country loses out.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,907
    Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

MISTY said:

Foxy said:

What is it now?

Cyclefree said:

What future?

🤬

Seriously, emigrate.

All Labour needs to win is have a manifesto in favour of the young and working population. A fair number of older folk like me would vote for it too, because like @Cyclefree we care about their future more than our own.

Even if an election is lost on that platform, how much better to have at least tried.
    On the contrary - for Labour to win, they need a manifesto which wins over more older folk. That's where their biggest problem is.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Take 5 minutes, sit down, stare out of the window, and then imagine what would have happened if we’d had a 2nd vote with Remain on the ballot,
    Only as a scene in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and your experiment is about as current

Really, Leon, you are going a bit yumpy.*

* Uncle Vernon

• Options
    edited May 2022

Leon said:

There. Exactly
    Leave would have won and
    ... Plenty of Remainers would have been demanding a third referendum because we'd got it wrong again.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

IshmaelZ said:

Things still ongoing:

Khan inquiry into Met

Privileges Committee

anything else?

Oh well, youll get over it and yourself
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,251
    Leon said:

Anyway. I shall calm myself with a gin

Come on down. You’re welcome. There’s plenty of room. I’m going to miss this view

I STRONGLY recommend Epirus. Northwest mainland Greece. It’s better than any of the Islands, it’s full of mountains and myth, the coast is nearly entirely unspoiled, and it’s mostly very cheap. Lush

Maybe get a better camera for your holiday snaps? It is not just you — most of the land/sea/flower-scapes posted here look pretty bad. I'm no smudger myself but I suspect the problem is your phone can't work out what to focus on.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,947

Sad person that I am, I've actually read the Gray Report. From accounts on here and elsewhere, it would appear that most people have just looked at the photos (hi, Leon), which are indeed underwhelming.

But the Report itself is hugely damning. It's quite clear from the transcripts of emails and messages, and from Gray's commentary, that the misbehaviour/rule-breaking was widespread, that both the organisers and many of the participants knew that what they were doing was wrong, and that unless BJ was in solitary confinement he knew exactly what was going on, even when he didn't participate.

I don't expect him to go, but I'm not convinced this is quite over yet. MPs who take their time and have a leisurely read of the Report for themselves may wonder how on earth he can credibly carry on as PM when he exercises so little control over what goes on under his own roof.

It is recess tomorrow. There is going to be a LOT of stuff on Tory MPs' WhatsApp chat groups over the coming days.

I suspect we might well reach the tally of letters once Parliament resumes on 6th June.
    Depends what is delivered tomorrow.
    I expect cash to

Doubtless there's someone somewhere who never got over tariff reform too.
  • Options
    Leon said:

There. Exactly
    Like Scottish Independence its the box you should not open. Scotland voted remain in 2014 yet the need to not accept the result and overturn it possesses a significant chunk of the population. Similarly had it been 51:49 in favour of remain - even the Nigel earlier in the night when he wrongly conceded defeat said they wouldn't stop.

So you are absolutely right - a 2nd ballot would have been cultural car crash territory. But as 6 years on YouGov has to ask "leave or remain?" and culture war people are fighting "remoaner woke traitors" we have hardly been able to move on despite leave winning and there being no second referendum.

The only way to win was not to play.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Jonathan said:

lots of love

xx
    Fuck off
    Lovely.

You are a classic example of someone who is happy to dish out rudeness but the moment your own, vacillatory, stance is placed under scrutiny you lash out at everyone.

I was perfectly polite. Merely pointing out a) your inconsistency on Brexit and the EU and b) your current obsession about that bygone rump of '2nd voters'.
    You don’t know me. If you did you would be aware that I’ve been eurosceptic all my life, long before it became fashionable. For this reason I know more about the EU and its functioning than almost anyone I have met. I’ve pursued the topic obsessively, as is my usual style

I only vacillated at the last moment because of the obvious economic damage Brexit would bring. But in the end a relentless logic overwhelmed me, this was our last chance to get out. So we got out. It is scary, but we are out. I am angry that it ever got to the stage of actual Brexit. A referendum earlier - on Maastricht or Lisbon - would have lanced the boil without amputating the limb. But europhiles knew better…

There, More than you deserve. And feel free to tell me fuck off, or indeed say anything you like. At least you will be doing it to me in person, as it were
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

It was one of the weirdest unforced errors in modern Scottish politics. At one fell swoop the SCon VI collapsed back into the teens.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

It was one of the weirdest unforced errors in modern Scottish politics. At one fell swoop the SCon VI collapsed back into the teens.
    Dross is an idiot. Who'd have thunk it?
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,251

Just when we were running short of Old Etonians in public life...
  • Options

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

IshmaelZ said:

Things still ongoing:

Khan inquiry into Met

Privileges Committee

anything else?

Oh well, youll get over it and yourself
    As will you. Try not to lose sleep over Maugham.
  • Options

Leon said:

Anyway. I shall calm myself with a gin

Come on down. You’re welcome. There’s plenty of room. I’m going to miss this view

I STRONGLY recommend Epirus. Northwest mainland Greece. It’s better than any of the Islands, it’s full of mountains and myth, the coast is nearly entirely unspoiled, and it’s mostly very cheap. Lush

Maybe get a better camera for your holiday snaps? It is not just you — most of the land/sea/flower-scapes posted here look pretty bad. I'm no smudger myself but I suspect the problem is your phone can't work out what to focus on.
    No, i take perfectly good photos. That’s just a phone lens smeared with grease from some rather nice tortilla chips
  • Options

kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

Undid a grest deal of the previous 10 years work in a day. Really stupid.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Farooq said:

kle4 said:

Farooq said:

IshmaelZ said:

Things still ongoing:

Khan inquiry into Met

Privileges Committee

anything else?

I don't really care whether his motivations are political or not. He's acting within his area of expertise and there is a system for deciding whether his challenges have merit or not. He wins when he's right and loses when he's wrong. No need for anyone to get excited about it.
    We should care if his motivations are political or not - if someone clogs up the courts with political actions which have no real prospect of success, if takes time, money and attention away from worthwhile cases against the government.

I want to see the government challenged. I am very happy if he is one of many who do it. But if he is allowing his politics to lead to spurious cases, he is not helping me, himself or the public.

I think you are overreacting to the reaction from some who don't like him. He himself recently acknowledge they would work differently, and in some cases the best decision would be to withdraw.

Not every case they bring will be a slam dunk, and that's fine. But hopeless actions (politics by another means) are a waste of his own time which could be spent on worthy actions. I would like him to be more effective, as that is a good thing!
  • Options

kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

By many measures the Scottish Government is useless, but it is also fortunate in its enemies.
This discussion has been closed.