Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Short Odds, Strong Nerves – Local Election Betting 2022 – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,532

Cookie said:

TOPPING said:

Cookie said:

Liverpool will not win the tetralogy but this is a nice stat.

Liverpool are the first English team to reach 10 European Cup / Champions League finals:

10 - Liverpool
    5 - Man Utd
    3 - Chelsea
    2 - Nottingham Forest
    1 - Arsenal, Aston Villa, Leeds United, Man City, Tottenham

https://twitter.com/WinnerpoolLFC/status/1521622071209603072

Wait - so we are using historic competitions now? So we can stop just referring to the Premier League era as if football didn't exist in 1993?
    We not only can, but should. While we're at it let's start calling it 'League Division 1' again. And also rename the Champions League 'the European Cup'. The old names were both better and more accurate.

A pet hate of mine is things changing their names.
    Like PB posters, you mean?
    Ha - well two obvious examples there - one changed for understandable reasons, the other because doing so is part of the whole persona. And a few less well known examples. I don't mind that. I'm mainly thinking of sports teams, stadiums, brands, etc - where the implication is that the public should be pleased and excited about the name changes.
    Also motorway service stations. There was a wave of that a couple of decades back, where it was decided* that motorway service stations should be free to call themselves what they wanted, and they went from nice poetic names** like Hilton Park to horrible and not even particularly geographically accurate names like Birmingham North. Interestingly, most subsequently changed their names back again. People like to call things what they are called.

*whose decision was this? It feels like a New Labour thing, though it could just as well have been scratching-the-cupboard-for-new-ideas Majorism.

**I don't know which particular civil servant was responsible for this - I'd like to think there has only ever been one - but names for service stations are one of the small joys of living in Britain. Little milestones on your journey: Frankley - Strensham - Michaelwood - Gordano - Sedgemoor - Bridgwater - Taunton Deane - Cullompton - the names going from 'just started' Midlands to 'nearly there' south west as you go. There is almost no more evocative description of a journey to a childhood holiday than that. [I've omitted Gloucester, splendid though it is, as a johnny-come-lately and quite a boringly named one at that.] And you could do the same for any big motorway.
    Scratchwood-Toddington-Newport Pagnell - Rothersthorpe - Watford Gap - Leicester Forest East - Trowell - Tibshelf - Woodall - Woolley Edge. [I know Tibshelf is a johnny-come-lately too, but it was meant to be there almost from the start - and they kept the planned name even though by then they were free to call it something boring like 'Chesterfield South'.]
    I'm with you.

There is a special place in hell for anyone who adopts changed football stadium names. All the horrific 'sponsored' stadiums have a proper name (e.g. Eastlands, Ashburton Grove). The worst one of all is the 'King Power' – which appears to be named after an obscure Thai travel agent and which the fans apparently actually use! I refer to it only as Filbert Way.
    It was the Walkers Stadium before the Thais bought it. King Power are a chain of Duty Free in SE Asia.

The Thais are such great owners, not just for the investment in the club but also for club traditions and culture that fans are happy to call it the King Power out of respect for the family.

I suspect that we are the only Premiership team that sings in praise of our owners:

"Vichai had a dream,
    To build a football team,
    He came from Thailand,
    Now he's one of our own."
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    TOPPING said:

Cookie said:

TOPPING said:

Cookie said:

Liverpool are the first English team to reach 10 European Cup / Champions League finals:

10 - Liverpool
    5 - Man Utd
    3 - Chelsea
    2 - Nottingham Forest

Wait - so we are using historic competitions now? So we can stop just referring to the Premier League era as if football didn't exist in 1993?
    We not only can, but should. While we're at it let's start calling it 'League Division 1' again. And also rename the Champions League 'the European Cup'. The old names were both better and more accurate.

Ha - well two obvious examples there - one changed for understandable reasons, the other because doing so is part of the whole persona. And a few less well known examples. I don't mind that. I'm mainly thinking of sports teams, stadiums, brands, etc - where the implication is that the public should be pleased and excited about the name changes.
    Also motorway service stations. There was a wave of that a couple of decades back, where it was decided* that motorway service stations should be free to call themselves what they wanted, and they went from nice poetic names** like Hilton Park to horrible and not even particularly geographically accurate names like Birmingham North. Interestingly, most subsequently changed their names back again. People like to call things what they are called.

*whose decision was this? It feels like a New Labour thing, though it could just as well have been scratching-the-cupboard-for-new-ideas Majorism.

**I don't know which particular civil servant was responsible for this - I'd like to think there has only ever been one - but names for service stations are one of the small joys of living in Britain. Little milestones on your journey: Frankley - Strensham - Michaelwood - Gordano - Sedgemoor - Bridgwater - Taunton Deane - Cullompton - the names going from 'just started' Midlands to 'nearly there' south west as you go. There is almost no more evocative description of a journey to a childhood holiday than that. [I've omitted Gloucester, splendid though it is, as a johnny-come-lately and quite a boringly named one at that.] And you could do the same for any big motorway.
    Scratchwood-Toddington-Newport Pagnell - Rothersthorpe - Watford Gap - Leicester Forest East - Trowell - Tibshelf - Woodall - Woolley Edge. [I know Tibshelf is a johnny-come-lately too, but it was meant to be there almost from the start - and they kept the planned name even though by then they were free to call it something boring like 'Chesterfield South'.]
    I'm with you.

There is a special place in hell for anyone who adopts changed football stadium names. All the horrific 'sponsored' stadiums have a proper name (e.g. Eastlands, Ashburton Grove). The worst one of all is the 'King Power' – which appears to be named after an obscure Thai travel agent and which the fans apparently actually use! I refer to it only as Filbert Way.
    The most egregious example is surely abrdn. YUCKKKKK

https://www.abrdn.com/en-gb
    Still the best recent example of shareholder value destruction and chasing out of talent from Standard Life Investments by abrdn asst mngmnt.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Call them what you like, Motorway service stations are the most horrible places in Britain, so vile that you find yourself longing for another four hours driving on the motorway until you have to stop at another one.
    (Cairn Lodge and Fleet are the honourable exceptions that I have encountered).

Just building my rep as PB's eccentric - I like motorway service stations, especially Moto. But then I like fast food, and nowadays they have comfortable sofas to sit while you eat, and you can read a book and nobody bothers you no matter how long you stay. I'm just back from a West Country holiday, and driving leisurely back and stopping for a bite and a chapter every now and then made it a very easy run. What seems to be the problem?
    Quite agree, they are the one place you can pretend to feel *obliged* to eat a Macdonalds for want of alternatives
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Cookie said:

TOPPING said:

Cookie said:

10 - Liverpool
    5 - Man Utd
    3 - Chelsea
    2 - Nottingham Forest

I'm with you.

There seems to be one called the Emirates. Either that or people will go further than I thought to watch kickball.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,379
    Reading the short but excellent Lessons in Disaster, which examines McGeorge Bundy's role in the Vietnam debacle.

He was the first cabinet member to be informed of the deployment of nuclear missiles in Cuba, at a dinner party he was hosting.
    Rather than contact the President, he went back to the party, and enjoyed a good night's sleep before informing Kennedy the following morning.
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,417

Call them what you like, Motorway service stations are the most horrible places in Britain, so vile that you find yourself longing for another four hours driving on the motorway until you have to stop at another one.

Just building my rep as PB's eccentric - I like motorway service stations, especially Moto. But then I like fast food, and nowadays they have comfortable sofas to sit while you eat, and you can read a book and nobody bothers you no matter how long you stay. I'm just back from a West Country holiday, and driving leisurely back and stopping for a bite and a chapter every now and then made it a very easy run. What seems to be the problem?
    I like the open feel about them .Most city centre eateries are by their nature closed off from the outside world .In service stations you can eat from about 10 establishments there but sit in open spaces. There is a nice cosy feel and silent camaraderie about knowing everyone there is a traveller for that day
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,865
    Cabinet Office confirm they hold no records of how many karaoke machines are kept on its estate, as per an FOI request
    https://twitter.com/JAHeale/status/1521838278156107777
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,909
    Foxy said:

Cookie said:

TOPPING said:

Cookie said:

10 - Liverpool
    5 - Man Utd
    3 - Chelsea
    2 - Nottingham Forest

I'm with you.

It was the Walkers Stadium before the Thais bought it. King Power are a chain of Duty Free in SE Asia.

The Thais are such great owners, not just for the investment in the club but also for club traditions and culture that fans are happy to call it the King Power out of respect for the family.

I suspect that we are the only Premiership team that sings in praise of our owners:

"Vichai had a dream,
    He came from Thailand,
    The odd thing is that many Leicester fans apparently actually call it The King Power – surely an even worse name than naming a ground after a packet of very mediocre crisps.

Filbert Way is its proper name and has the benefit of heritage unlike the truly dismal sponsor names.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Sean_F said:

Scott_xP said:

Exclusive polling for The Telegraph on Tuesday suggested that the Conservatives are on track to lose nearly 550 seats in this week’s elections.

🏙️They could also lose control of councils in London, including Wandsworth and Westminster
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/05/02/tories-set-lose-550-seats-worst-local-election-performance-generation/

A 24% vote share for the Conservatives is very unlikely, even in London.
    550 losses looks very unlikely too imho.
    I believe they are only defending 1965.
    No one seems to be tipping Barnet to go red? Anti semitism toxic Labour still a thing?
    Its on a knife edge and the original odds on Labour were good - now 1/2 which is a risk
  • Options
    St James' Park was once renamed sportsdirect.com@StJames'ParkStadium

Yes, really.

Thankfully, the fans refused to recognise it and the morons in charge dropped it in short order.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Cookie said:

TOPPING said:

Cookie said:

10 - Liverpool
    5 - Man Utd
    3 - Chelsea
    2 - Nottingham Forest

I'm with you.

There seems to be one called the Emirates. Either that or people will go further than I thought to watch kickball.
    Ashburton Grove / Highbury.

Take your pick.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Exclusive polling for The Telegraph on Tuesday suggested that the Conservatives are on track to lose nearly 550 seats in this week’s elections.

🏙️They could also lose control of councils in London, including Wandsworth and Westminster
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/05/02/tories-set-lose-550-seats-worst-local-election-performance-generation/

Theresa May lost over 1000 council seats in 2019, even 550 losses would not be that bad
    What would be bad? Earlier you were saying the loss of Westminster would be bad, is it now not bad? Are there degrees of bad which aren't bad?

Could you give me a line in the sand from which the local elections would be considered bad?
    A 10%+ lead for Labour in NEV and gains in lots of councils from the Tories outside London as well as in the capital
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,066

They tend to be a bit grimy, they are over-priced, they smell of disgusting greasy fast food like McDs, and the toilets stink and are often dirty. Also, and I know this comment doesn't paint me in a great light, they kind of confront you with the reality that we are not in the main a stylish or especially attractive country and perhaps we could do with eating less fast food, or indeed less food full stop.
  • Options
    BlancheLivermoreBlancheLivermore Posts: 5,195

Foxy said:

Cookie said:

TOPPING said:

Cookie said:

10 - Liverpool
    5 - Man Utd
    3 - Chelsea
    2 - Nottingham Forest

I'm with you.

"Vichai had a dream,
    He came from Thailand,
    The odd thing is that many Leicester fans apparently actually call it The King Power – surely an even worse name than naming a ground after a packet of very mediocre crisps.

Filbert Way is its proper name and has the benefit of heritage unlike the truly dismal sponsor names.
    Wasn’t it Filbert Street?
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filbert_Street
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,104

dixiedean said:

nico679 said:

dixiedean said:

Expect Friday to be a big political day.
    Still not sure the media, and political establishment in general, are fully aware of quite what a story is brewing in NI. It may actually impinge on our consciousness for a short time.

Last nights NI debate was a car crash for the DUP Leader . Came last and if people in NI had any sense they’d ensure that the DUP don’t even make second place . Essentially he told viewers fxck the cost of living crisis we care more about trying to get the NI protocol removed and will refuse to take part in the assembly until that happens .
    Yes. And the Protocol remains popular too.
    Not sure a situation where a government can't be formed because the Party who came third refuses (on an issue the vast majority are content with) is going to be tenable for long.
    IF it happens of course.
    Surely in that scenario, the Alliance would temporarily designate as unionist "for the greater good" then vow to get the "stupid sectarian rules changed now we are in power"? They have form in this regard, having temporarily designated as unionist at the time of the GFA, for tactical reasons.
    They'd be more likely to get the rules changed as part of negotiations to restore power-sharing, otherwise there's no need.

If the DUP refuse to take up the position of deputy First Minister after finishing third, then changing the rules would be a way to bypass the DUP. The problems would be to get the UUP and London government to go along with it.
  • Options
    Liz Truss to replace Rishi Sunak? Nadhim Zahawi to replace Priti Patel?

The Tory bush telegraph is twitching about a Cabinet reshuffle after local elections losses

My lunchtime latest for @theipaper

https://inews.co.uk/opinion/boris-johnson-could-replace-rishi-sunak-with-liz-truss-in-reshuffle-after-local-elections-1610163
  • Options

St James' Park was once renamed sportsdirect.com@StJames'ParkStadium

Yes, really.

Thankfully, the fans refused to recognise it and the morons in charge dropped it in short order.

Whist this was a cutting remark about naming football clubs (rather than stadiums) after companies ,i always fondly remember the Jeff Stelling quote about (when TNS won a game in the Welsh league) ' They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight'
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,339

Foxy said:

Cookie said:

TOPPING said:

Cookie said:

10 - Liverpool
    5 - Man Utd
    3 - Chelsea
    2 - Nottingham Forest

I'm with you.

"Vichai had a dream,
    He came from Thailand,

Leicester fans love their owners, and for good reason.
  • Options

They tend to be a bit grimy, they are over-priced, they smell of disgusting greasy fast food like McDs, and the toilets stink and are often dirty. Also, and I know this comment doesn't paint me in a great light, they kind of confront you with the reality that we are not in the main a stylish or especially attractive country and perhaps we could do with eating less fast food, or indeed less food full stop.
    Nick is odd in this regard. I consider him an erudite and eminent PBer, but he has a massive blind spot when it comes to food.

He needs to learn to cook and stop eating shit.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Cookie said:

TOPPING said:

Cookie said:

10 - Liverpool
    5 - Man Utd
    3 - Chelsea
    2 - Nottingham Forest

I'm with you.

"Vichai had a dream,
    He came from Thailand,

No. That was their former ground.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Cabinet Office confirm they hold no records of how many karaoke machines are kept on its estate, as per an FOI request

do a FOI request to establish how many cabinets are on the cabinet office estate
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,364
    Applicant said:

Cookie said:

TOPPING said:

Cookie said:

10 - Liverpool
    5 - Man Utd
    3 - Chelsea
    2 - Nottingham Forest

Stadium naming rights is particularly annoying, especially to people who aspire to the 92 Club - at the lower levels I'm never quite sure if the team has moved or just got a sponsor. Is the Wham Stadium the same as the Crown Ground? Is the Technique Stadium the same as Saltergate? (I looked it up. Yes and no respectively).

It's a nice little earner for the first sponsor of a new stadium though. The McAlpine will always be the McAlpine, and the Reebok will always be the Reebok. Similarly, I'm pretty sure the Emirates will always be the Emirates to most people (even if it will always be Asburton Grove to me).

And why on earth did they rename the Olympic Stadium to something so bloody dull?
    Yes, fair enough, sell your naming rights once - but that is what it shall be called ever after. The MacAlpine and the Reebok are the two which spring to mind for me too.

Similarly the fifth tier of English football shall forever be the Vauxhall Conference. (If it had a previous sponsor, it was before my time.) A mixed blessing - there name is out there forever, but forever associated with a fifth-tier product.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,532

Foxy said:

Cookie said:

TOPPING said:

Cookie said:

10 - Liverpool
    5 - Man Utd
    3 - Chelsea
    2 - Nottingham Forest

I'm with you.

"Vichai had a dream,
    He came from Thailand,

Filbert Way is the road it is on, not the Stadium.

Walkers Crisps started with a shop in Leicester Market in the 1940s as a sideline by a butcher, and are a major Leicester employer. You won't hear much bad about them either. They sponsored the club for some years, and produced a special "Salt and Victory" flavour when we won the League, 6 years ago this week.

Sponsors can get a lot of support if they have genuine local significance.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,247
    edited May 2022
    Scott_xP said:

Liz Truss to replace Rishi Sunak? Nadhim Zahawi to replace Priti Patel?

The Tory bush telegraph is twitching about a Cabinet reshuffle after local elections losses

My lunchtime latest for @theipaper

https://inews.co.uk/opinion/boris-johnson-could-replace-rishi-sunak-with-liz-truss-in-reshuffle-after-local-elections-1610163

Ah but if Boris is planning to retire, it is better to do so on good terms with Rishi Sunak who can give him free holidays in his mansions scattered across the globe. Liz Truss has nothing.

Maybe that was Sunak's mistake. He should have struck while heir presumptive. Not by resigning from the Cabinet but by offering Boris twenty million quid to sling his hook.
  • Options
    This leak enquiry is going to be fun, except for those subject to investigation.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/05/04/supreme-court-leak-probe-faces-slew-of-obstacles-and-unknowns-00029841
    ...Leaks of non-classified information generally are not prosecutable, with very few exceptions,” Painter said. “That’s important to a well-functioning democracy, that leaks are not prosecuted.”

However, Painter added, the person who breached the court’s confidences should face professional consequences if identified.

“If a justice intentionally did it, I think that justice could be impeached and removed from office,” he said. “If a clerk did it, they could be dismissed and there might be implications at the bar.”...

Would be hilarious if it turns out to be Alito - though if it were him, the inquiry would likely be perfunctory and fail to reach a conclusion.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Cookie said:

TOPPING said:

Cookie said:

10 - Liverpool
    5 - Man Utd
    3 - Chelsea
    2 - Nottingham Forest

I'm with you.

"Vichai had a dream,
    He came from Thailand,

So Filbert Way doesn’t have a great deal of heritage to miss then..

I never knew (just learnt from wiki) that Filbert Street was officially renamed City Business Stadium in the early 90s
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,945
    Cookie said:

Applicant said:

Cookie said:

TOPPING said:

Cookie said:

10 - Liverpool
    5 - Man Utd
    3 - Chelsea
    2 - Nottingham Forest

Stadium naming rights is particularly annoying, especially to people who aspire to the 92 Club - at the lower levels I'm never quite sure if the team has moved or just got a sponsor. Is the Wham Stadium the same as the Crown Ground? Is the Technique Stadium the same as Saltergate? (I looked it up. Yes and no respectively).

It's a nice little earner for the first sponsor of a new stadium though. The McAlpine will always be the McAlpine, and the Reebok will always be the Reebok. Similarly, I'm pretty sure the Emirates will always be the Emirates to most people (even if it will always be Asburton Grove to me).

And why on earth did they rename the Olympic Stadium to something so bloody dull?
    Yes, fair enough, sell your naming rights once - but that is what it shall be called ever after. The MacAlpine and the Reebok are the two which spring to mind for me too.

Similarly the fifth tier of English football shall forever be the Vauxhall Conference. (If it had a previous sponsor, it was before my time.) A mixed blessing - there name is out there forever, but forever associated with a fifth-tier product.
    It was the Gola League before that.
    Originally it was the Alliance Premier League. (alliance of the NPL and Southern League).Not sure why it became a "Conference" rather than a league. Or why it became National League.
    Neither change was to do with sponsorships so far as I know.
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    Cookie said:

Applicant said:

Cookie said:

TOPPING said:

Cookie said:

10 - Liverpool
    5 - Man Utd
    3 - Chelsea
    2 - Nottingham Forest

It's always been just "the Conference" to me, except in the chant "we're on our way", where it doesn't scan nearly as well. The National League is in a different sport in a different country, and "National League North" and "National League South" are just silly.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Cookie said:

TOPPING said:

Cookie said:

10 - Liverpool
    5 - Man Utd
    3 - Chelsea
    2 - Nottingham Forest

I'm with you.

"Vichai had a dream,
    He came from Thailand,

Filbert Way is the road it is on, not the Stadium..
    Filbert Street was the name of the road the stadium was on, as are (just off the top of my head) Gresty Road, Bramhall Lane, Elland Road, Portman Road... I could go on.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,802
    edited May 2022
    Applicant said:

Cookie said:

Applicant said:

Cookie said:

TOPPING said:

Cookie said:

10 - Liverpool
    5 - Man Utd
    3 - Chelsea
    2 - Nottingham Forest

It's always been just "the Conference" to me, except in the chant "we're on our way", where it doesn't scan nearly as well. The National League is in a different sport in a different country, and "National League North" and "National League South" are just silly.
    The Alliance Premier League, you mean? (still being won annually by Altrincham, for sure - actually, as I remember it, the Conference name change coincided with automatic promotion rather than re-election, at which point Altrincham stopped winning. And when did GM Vauxhall get involved?)

And Northern, Southern Premier and Isthmian is what I resort to when thinking, which league is that? And so on.
  • Options
    northern_monkeynorthern_monkey Posts: 1,503
    That’s an, er, interesting design for a minister’s leaflet…

Then there’s this:

I think they’re worried.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,592

Then there’s this:

I think they’re worried.

It's one thing for the TOries to erase "Conservative" and "Tory" and go all "Ruth Davidson Says No, No, No to Indyref!! Party" as they did under previous local branch management in Scotland. But to do that in their southern English heartland, oh my.
  • Options

Then there’s this:

I think they’re worried.

The first one is Raab as an MP not Raab as a Tory - has to be party politics-free to get public funding. Same reason that MPs' constituency offices don't have party branding.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    Nigelb said:

This leak enquiry is going to be fun, except for those subject to investigation.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/05/04/supreme-court-leak-probe-faces-slew-of-obstacles-and-unknowns-00029841
    ...Leaks of non-classified information generally are not prosecutable, with very few exceptions,” Painter said. “That’s important to a well-functioning democracy, that leaks are not prosecuted.”

However, Painter added, the person who breached the court’s confidences should face professional consequences if identified.

“If a justice intentionally did it, I think that justice could be impeached and removed from office,” he said. “If a clerk did it, they could be dismissed and there might be implications at the bar.”...

Would be hilarious if it turns out to be Alito - though if it were him, the inquiry would likely be perfunctory and fail to reach a conclusion.

Imo definitely leaked by supporters of The scrapping of wade v row in June, either over excited oneupmanship, or calculated in making Junes change a fait accompli and yesterdays news.

Does Biden actually have the power to appoint two additional judges? If so all the pressure will pile on Biden to do that to stop it, and Biden becomes the fall guy wether roe v wade is saved or is dumped.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,130

Then there’s this:

I think they’re worried.

Do political parties 'own' colour schemes?
  • Options
    He’s brave, he’s clever and he has cool hair.

Residents of Boris Johnson Street (in Fortanka just outside Odesa) LOVE Boris.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2022/05/03/residents-boris-johnson-street-ukraine-revere-brave-clever-man/

(You can watch the video of them without a subscription)
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,848

Scott_xP said:

do a FOI request to establish how many cabinets are on the cabinet office estate
    Which stupid hack thinks that the efforts required to bounce such questions, are a productive use of public funds?
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,104
    Carnyx said:

Then there’s this:

I think they’re worried.

It's one thing for the TOries to erase "Conservative" and "Tory" and go all "Ruth Davidson Says No, No, No to Indyref!! Party" as they did under previous local branch management in Scotland. But to do that in their southern English heartland, oh my.
    Maybe Britain is more politically uniform then you imagine?
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

Applicant said:

Cookie said:

Applicant said:

Cookie said:

TOPPING said:

Cookie said:

10 - Liverpool
    5 - Man Utd
    3 - Chelsea
    2 - Nottingham Forest

The Alliance Premier League, you mean? (still being won annually by Altrincham, for sure).

And Northern, Southern Premier and Isthmian is what I resort to when thinking, which league is that? And so on.
    Alty have done pretty well this season given the makeup of the league, and they're going full time for next season which can only help them.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Imo definitely leaked by supporters of The scrapping of wade v row in June, either over excited oneupmanship, or calculated in making Junes change a fait accompli and yesterdays news.

Does Biden actually have the power to appoint two additional judges? If so all the pressure will pile on Biden to do that to stop it, and Biden becomes the fall guy wether roe v wade is saved or is dumped.
    Not unilaterally, the power is with Congress. I suspect there are enough Democtratic Senators who realise how foolish it would be to do so, given that the political pendulum will inevitably swing again.
  • Options

Then there’s this:

I think they’re worried.

Branding, innit? A strong, easily identifiable brand is a good thing. Interesting to see that they’re departing from the colours and design language you’d expect to see on leaflets from the Conservative Party.
  • Options
    edited May 2022

Then there’s this:

I think they’re worried.

No they don't. They only became standardised nationally with colour TV I believe. It was local tradition before that.
    However. The Tories in North Tyneside are allegedly funding and distributing leaflets asking folk to vote Green.
    Isn't that an automatic expulsion offence?
    Said Whitley Bay was a curious choice for the PM to campaign in. His legendary campaigning skills appear to have turned the entire membership Green.
  • Options

Then there’s this:

I think they’re worried.

“ Do political parties 'own' colour schemes? “

Looking at that fake Tory leaflet, is that the best comment you can make about positive v negative campaigning?

Too late for Tories now, if it is a bad night, lose Wandsworth etc, the fact they didn’t put the positives of voting Conservative and having conservative councils front and centre of the campaign, instead made partygate the big issue with dirty tricks like this front and centre of the campaign is obviously going to get the blame isn’t it?
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Then there’s this:

I think they’re worried.

Maybe Britain is more politically uniform then you imagine?
    Yet the local leaflets went in the other direction from Ms Davidson's approach of late ... so perhaps not!
  • Options

Foxy said:

Cookie said:

TOPPING said:

Cookie said:

10 - Liverpool
    5 - Man Utd
    3 - Chelsea
    2 - Nottingham Forest

I'm with you.

"Vichai had a dream,
    He came from Thailand,

So Filbert Way doesn’t have a great deal of heritage to miss then..

I never knew (just learnt from wiki) that Filbert Street was officially renamed City Business Stadium in the early 90s
    Filbert Way recalls the name of their old ground, so yes, it speaks to football heritage. The current name is absolutely lousy and I can’t believe the fans actually call it that. Do they literally change what they call it every time the sponsor changes?

As Applicant says, lots (most?) football grounds are named after streets.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,647
    Applicant said:

Nigelb said:

Not unilaterally, the power is with Congress. I suspect there are enough Democtratic Senators who realise how foolish it would be to do so, given that the political pendulum will inevitably swing again.
    It would only be foolish to do so if they expected the Republicans to play fair if the Democrats play fair first.....and it would be foolish to expect that!
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,136
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Theresa May lost over 1000 council seats in 2019, even 550 losses would not be that bad
    What would be bad? Earlier you were saying the loss of Westminster would be bad, is it now not bad? Are there degrees of bad which aren't bad?

Could you give me a line in the sand from which the local elections would be considered bad?
    A 10%+ lead for Labour in NEV and gains in lots of councils from the Tories outside London as well as in the capital
    Although this is carefully pitched at an "unlikely to be achieved" level, I also think you are right. If it isn't *clearly catastrophic* no-one will have the impetus to move against Johnson.
  • Options
    Applicant said:

Nigelb said:

That is a way to stop the scrapping of Wade v `roe, what other options does Biden have?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,581

Then there’s this:

I think they’re worried.

Back in the day, in the North East Labour used to use green.
  • Options

Then there’s this:

I think they’re worried.

Branding, innit? A strong, easily identifiable brand is a good thing. Interesting to see that they’re departing from the colours and design language you’d expect to see on leaflets from the Conservative Party.
    So I'm surprised that someone thinks it should be referred to the electoral commission.
  • Options

Then there’s this:

I think they’re worried.

So I'm surprised that someone thinks it should be referred to the electoral commission.
    I think it's the 'Green' lettering in bold.

Though one would think it if anything encourages people to vote Green ...
  • Options
    Applicant said:

Then there’s this:

I think they’re worried.

The first one is Raab as an MP not Raab as a Tory - has to be party politics-free to get public funding. Same reason that MPs' constituency offices don't have party branding.
    Why is Raab's leaflet being distributed in Tyneside? Esher is in Surrey and Tyneside is up north somewhere. If it is being used as an election leaflet elsewhere in the country, how does that affect funding rules?
  • Options

Then there’s this:

I think they’re worried.

Looking at that fake Tory leaflet, is that the best comment you can make about positive v negative campaigning?

Too late for Tories now, if it is a bad night, lose Wandsworth etc, the fact they didn’t put the positives of voting Conservative and having conservative councils front and centre of the campaign, instead made partygate the big issue with dirty tricks like this front and centre of the campaign is obviously going to get the blame isn’t it?
    I'm not making a party political point, just questioning the idea that particular parties must only use certain colours, which seems bizarre.
  • Options

Applicant said:

Nigelb said:

It would only be foolish to do so if they expected the Republicans to play fair if the Democrats play fair first.....and it would be foolish to expect that!
    Packing the Supreme Court guarantees only one thing - that the GOP will do the same next time they have the power.
  • Options
    Sainsbury's sitrep (yesterday). Masks down to about 50 per cent and no bananas (is that an Eid thing, or has Bakeoff just done a banana-themed cake?).
  • Options

Then there’s this:

I think they’re worried.

At least this one’s blue, and it’s got a Union fleg on there. That’s what I expect from Tory leaflets. Like the Labour/EU thing. C’mon guys, you won, we’ve left!

Most interesting though is the circled text.

• Options
    Carnyx said:

Then there’s this:

I think they’re worried.

That appears to be the objection, that the intention is that it is to persuade Labour voters to vote Green and split the vote.

That said, "Go Green" has been a Tory slogan since the Cameron days.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,914

There's usually a free parking time limit, though.

• Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,136

Then there’s this:

I think they’re worried.

I'm not making a party political point, just questioning the idea that particular parties must only use certain colours, which seems bizarre.
    It's more that they must not purport to be other parties. And brand colours are very strong in politics, so a green coloured leaflet with "Go Green in the local elections, don't vote Labour" strongly implies at first, second and third glance, and as you read the text, that it is from the Greens. That would seem to be deliberate misrepresentation.
  • Options

Applicant said:

Then there’s this:

I think they’re worried.

Why is Raab's leaflet being distributed in Tyneside? Esher is in Surrey and Tyneside is up north somewhere. If it is being used as an election leaflet elsewhere in the country, how does that affect funding rules?
    It isn’t, I just put them together in my post.
  • Options

Then there’s this:

I think they’re worried.

It quite clearly says Go Green in big letters. That isn't about the colour.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,161
    edited May 2022
    Carnyx said:

Then there’s this:

I think they’re worried.

That's the point - the N Tyneside tories want to split the non-conservative vote more equally so cons come through the middle.

Definite worth querying with Electoral Commission (before the tories dismantle it because it stops them doing tricks like this and spending money with no come back).

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,848
    edited May 2022

Then there’s this:

I think they’re worried.

It would be good if we could see the other side of that leaflet.

So long as it has the imprint saying who paid for it, doesn’t libel a candidate, and doesn’t contain false information about the process of the election, it can say pretty much what it likes.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,802
    Applicant said:

Pro_Rata said:

Applicant said:

Cookie said:

Applicant said:

Cookie said:

TOPPING said:

Cookie said:

10 - Liverpool
    5 - Man Utd
    3 - Chelsea
    2 - Nottingham Forest

The Alliance Premier League, you mean? (still being won annually by Altrincham, for sure).

Alty have done pretty well this season given the makeup of the league, and they're going full time for next season which can only help them.
    I think it's been a struggle for a while not to be full time at Conference level - I think Hyde managed 2 seasons before succumbing when they were up around 2010 ish.
  • Options

Sainsbury's sitrep (yesterday). Masks down to about 50 per cent and no bananas (is that an Eid thing, or has Bakeoff just done a banana-themed cake?).

50%? Really?

It’s about 0.5% here and has been for a good while.
  • Options
    edited May 2022

Then there’s this:

I think they’re worried.

But this is Party Political Point week on PB - every post is through the prism of being member of a tribe - kaleds v Thalls v muto’s🙂

muto’s winning here!
  • Options
    👀 Ex-Tory councillors tell voters to back Labour and Lib Dems in local elections.

I also understand that some Conservative associations have shunned visits from cabinet ministers as campaigners warn that brand Boris is “shattered”.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/ex-tory-councillor-tells-voters-to-back-labour-in-local-elections_uk_62723c1ee4b050c90f46604e?utm_campaign=share_twitter&ncid=engmodushpmg00000004
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,066

Then there’s this:

I think they’re worried.

At least this one’s blue, and it’s got a Union fleg on there. That’s what I expect from Tory leaflets. Like the Labour/EU thing. C’mon guys, you won, we’ve left!

And the EU flag on the Labour column? WTAF? Truly desperate stuff, the stench of decay around the Tory Party these days is shocking - bring back daily waste collection, the smell is unbearable!
  • Options
    Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Nigelb said:

Packing the Supreme Court guarantees only one thing - that the GOP will do the same next time they have the power.
    I don't disagree but see the logic as:

Pack the Supreme Court = Dems sometimes have control of Supreme Court
    Don't pack the Supreme Court = Dems won't have control of Supreme Court for at least the next 20-30 years

Biden is making a mistake trying to play fair when the game is already dirty. It results in voters thinking he does not get anything done, which is true. If he played dirty he could get things done, and voters then would have a choice to make.
  • Options

There's usually a free parking time limit, though.

3 hours, normally, I think.
  • Options
    edited May 2022

Then there’s this:

I think they’re worried.

And the EU flag on the Labour column? WTAF? Truly desperate stuff, the stench of decay around the Tory Party these days is shocking - bring back daily waste collection, the smell is unbearable!
    Yep. They’ve been UKIP-ised. You are what you eat in this world, and they ate UKIP. They are all EU hating fruitcakes now.

Get wait to email that leaflet back to Yorkshire, they all gave it out to this Libdem supporter at Easter 😇
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,545

Nigelb said:

Biden can't unilaterally increase the size of the Court, but Congress can. It's legal: https://www.npr.org/2021/09/05/1034494416/the-case-for-court-packing-as-a-way-to-promote-democracy Whether it would fly, whether they could get the votes in the Senate to swerve a filibuster, are different questions.

• Options
    dixiedean said:

Applicant said:

Cookie said:

TOPPING said:

Cookie said:

10 - Liverpool
    5 - Man Utd
    3 - Chelsea
    2 - Nottingham Forest

Indeed.
    What is Bolton's stadium actually called? The retail park is known as the Reebok, too.
    Or Wigan Athletic?
    I remember when Leicester had second thoughts over The Walkers Bowl (of crisps).

However, credit to Mike Ashley for getting someone to pay for the St James' Park naming rights so that they could call it St James' Park.
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

Applicant said:

Pro_Rata said:

Applicant said:

Cookie said:

Applicant said:

Cookie said:

TOPPING said:

Cookie said:

10 - Liverpool
    5 - Man Utd
    3 - Chelsea
    2 - Nottingham Forest

I think it's been a struggle for a while not to be full time at Conference level - I think Hyde managed 2 seasons before succumbing when they were up around 2010 ish.
    The Conference has served its purpose now there is automatic promotion and relegation.
    It is a full time fifth division in all but name. It isn't really non league at all. Most of the clubs, many of the grounds and attendances aren't either.
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

Applicant said:

Pro_Rata said:

Applicant said:

Cookie said:

Applicant said:

Cookie said:

TOPPING said:

Cookie said:

10 - Liverpool
    5 - Man Utd
    3 - Chelsea
    2 - Nottingham Forest

Aye. Especially with the money involved now - there's at least four clubs with relatively big money (including one with relatively obscenely big money) in the division, and only two of them (at most) can go up.
  • Options

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Nigelb said:

Don't pack the Supreme Court = Dems won't have control of Supreme Court for at least the next 20-30 years

Biden is making a mistake trying to play fair when the game is already dirty. It results in voters thinking he does not get anything done, which is true. If he played dirty he could get things done, and voters then would have a choice to make.
    Top post mate 👍🏻
  • Options
    edited May 2022

Nigelb said:

Does Biden actually have the power to appoint two additional judges? If so all the pressure will pile on Biden to do that to stop it, and Biden becomes the fall guy whether roe v wade is saved or is dumped.
    Congress confirms (or rejects) the President's nominations.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appointments_Clause

Court expansion is indeed possible as the Constitution doesn't set the number of Justices, just the means of their appointment - and sets no limit on their terms of office:
    https://www.archives.gov/founding-docs/constitution-transcript#toc-article-ii--2
    But in practice not, as it would require a filibuster proof majority in the Senate (or a vote to scrap the filibuster).
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,027

Then there’s this:

I think they’re worried.

Yep. They’ve been UKIP-ised. You are what you eat in this world, and they ate UKIP. They are all EU hating fruitcakes now.
    Perhaps they should have eaten the Lib Dems instead when they had the chance.
  • Options

Applicant said:

Nigelb said:

That is a way to stop the scrapping of Wade v `roe, what other options does Biden have?
    No, it's not since it wouldn't pass the Senate.
  • Options
    edited May 2022

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Nigelb said:

The Court is only now with a Conservative majority as GOP Presidents picked conservative judges generally as Democrats picked liberal judges.

Had RBG stood down in Obama's term there would likely still not be a clear Conservative majority on the SC
  • Options

Then there’s this:

I think they’re worried.

They did in 2015 with Labour when UKIP got more votes than the LDs
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,249
    I absolutely see @NickPalmer's point about motorway service stations and wholeheartedly agree. How fantastic to be anonymous and autonomous and do what you want in his case reading a book what bliss.

And given @OnlyLivingBoy's not inaccurate description of the places it is an activity stripped of all the artifice of usual eating/drinking places. No chance of Siena Miller/Henry Cavill coming to sit at your table and you having to show what a catch you are; no chance of anyone disturbing you; just doing your thing.

As to the cleanliness I disagree - the loos are often super clean and serviceable.

The clientele essential British ok some are overweight, but some look like they are on a sustained heroin trip so again no pretension.

It betokens an essentially individual, self-sufficient personality and who amongst us hasn't had such moments. Same or analogous to wanting to be a long-distance lorry driver although I understand it's not as full of podcasts, freedom of the open road, and luxury cab for sleeping as the perception.
  • Options
    Staff working for some leadership hopefuls have been trying to “tap-up” MPs for support for weeks.

👀One MP has also admitted they are a campaign manager-in-waiting for one hopeful.👀

And a senior backbencher is described as being in “full-on manoeuvres”.😉😜

https://twitter.com/SophiaSleigh/status/1521856126949670913
  • Options

Then there’s this:

I think they’re worried.

It sound so wrong, but you are probably right.
  • Options

Then there’s this:

I think they’re worried.

I'm not sure the LDs didn't swallow a chunk of Tories by mistake, themselves. Certainly in Scotland. But it's probably partly the Green Party pushing them out of the way to the right.
  • Options

Applicant said:

Nigelb said:

Congress could pass a federal law legalising abortion, but again the Senate filibuster and some Dem Senators are the problem.

There are various ways federal powers could be used: see https://time.com/6141517/abortion-federal-law-preemption-roe-v-wade/

Biden could choose to campaign heavily on the subject. If the Dems win enough seats at state and/or federal level, they're then in a better position to do any of these things.
  • Options
    Applicant said:

Nigelb said:

Strictly speaking, it's not.
    Congress has effective veto power, but the power to appoint belongs solely to the President. Congress cannot initiate the appointment process.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Staff working for some leadership hopefuls have been trying to “tap-up” MPs for support for weeks.

👀One MP has also admitted they are a campaign manager-in-waiting for one hopeful.👀

And a senior backbencher is described as being in “full-on manoeuvres”.😉😜

https://twitter.com/SophiaSleigh/status/1521856126949670913

And a senior backbencher is described as being in “full-on manoeuvres”

Why don’t they just say Hunt. Everyone knows it’s Hunt.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Nigelb said:

Oh no, then the Supreme court will be full of hard right ideologues. Completely unlike now.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Pro_Rata said:

Applicant said:

Pro_Rata said:

Applicant said:

Cookie said:

Applicant said:

Cookie said:

TOPPING said:

Cookie said:

10 - Liverpool
    5 - Man Utd
    3 - Chelsea
    2 - Nottingham Forest

The Conference has served its purpose now there is automatic promotion and relegation.
    It is a full time fifth division in all but name. It isn't really non league at all. Most of the clubs, many of the grounds and attendances aren't either.
    The top 6 Conference teams all have average attendances higher than 19 teams in League Two and seven teams in League One.

And, again, at most two of them can go up. It's crazy.
  • Options
    Applicant said:

Pro_Rata said:

Applicant said:

Pro_Rata said:

Applicant said:

Cookie said:

Applicant said:

Cookie said:

TOPPING said:

Cookie said:

10 - Liverpool
    5 - Man Utd
    3 - Chelsea
    2 - Nottingham Forest

Aye. Especially with the money involved now - there's at least four clubs with relatively big money (including one with relatively obscenely big money) in the division, and only two of them (at most) can go up.
    Which needs fixing. No one has ever gone straight back down after coming up from the Conference.
    And no one has gone straight back up in a fair while.
    There's a logjam of entirely viable league one and two clubs in all but name in the top seven.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

I absolutely see @NickPalmer's point about motorway service stations and wholeheartedly agree. How fantastic to be anonymous and autonomous and do what you want in his case reading a book what bliss.

And given @OnlyLivingBoy's not inaccurate description of the places it is an activity stripped of all the artifice of usual eating/drinking places. No chance of Siena Miller/Henry Cavill coming to sit at your table and you having to show what a catch you are; no chance of anyone disturbing you; just doing your thing.

As to the cleanliness I disagree - the loos are often super clean and serviceable....

The variability in condition is enormous. The loos are sometimes clean, and sometimes utterly vile.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Nigelb said:

The Court is only now with a Conservative majority as GOP Presidents picked conservative judges generally as Democrats picked liberal judges.

Had RBG stood down in Obama's term there would likely still not be a clear Conservative majority on the SC
    The Court has a Conservative majority partly through luck (when places came up) and partly through an over-representation of low population rural states in the Senate. Then we add on top the dirty tricks played by the Republicans, blocking Merrick Garland for months, but rapidly voting through Barrett. They also pushed through Kavanaugh despite the sexual assault allegations.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Nigelb said:

Thanks for that. I was a little bit low on stocks of the bleeding obvious this afternoon.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Applicant said:

Pro_Rata said:

Applicant said:

Pro_Rata said:

Applicant said:

Cookie said:

Applicant said:

Cookie said:

TOPPING said:

Cookie said:

10 - Liverpool
    5 - Man Utd
    3 - Chelsea
    2 - Nottingham Forest

Which needs fixing. No one has ever gone straight back down after coming up from the Conference.
    And no one has gone straight back up in a fair while.
    There's a logjam of entirely viable league one and two clubs in all but name in the top seven.
    The problem is, how do you get League Two clubs to vote for extra promotion and relegation places? There aren't yet enough viable full-time clubs in the Conference to swallow it whole and make it League Three, and I'm not sure there would be the support for regional divisions.
  • Options
    Applicant said:

dixiedean said:

Pro_Rata said:

Applicant said:

Pro_Rata said:

Applicant said:

Cookie said:

Applicant said:

Cookie said:

TOPPING said:

Cookie said:

10 - Liverpool
    5 - Man Utd
    3 - Chelsea
    2 - Nottingham Forest

The top 6 Conference teams all have average attendances higher than 19 teams in League Two and seven teams in League One.

And, again, at most two of them can go up. It's crazy.
    They shouldn't have got themselves relegated to the Conference in the first place. Six of the top seven are "league teams". Well they were in my days on the terraces.
  • Options
    Applicant said:

Pro_Rata said:

Applicant said:

Pro_Rata said:

Applicant said:

Cookie said:

Applicant said:

Cookie said:

TOPPING said:

Cookie said:

10 - Liverpool
    5 - Man Utd
    3 - Chelsea
    2 - Nottingham Forest

There was a fairly recent plan to convert it to League 3, which makes sense. There’s very little difference in quality between the National League and League 2, and yet the promotion regimen is, as you imply, pretty severe. In recent times, that league has hosted the likes of Bristol Rovers and Notts County (the latter, currently), which are absolutely huge clubs in the context of that division.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Biden can't unilaterally increase the size of the Court, but Congress can. It's legal: https://www.npr.org/2021/09/05/1034494416/the-case-for-court-packing-as-a-way-to-promote-democracy Whether it would fly, whether they could get the votes in the Senate to swerve a filibuster, are different questions.

Nigelb probably right, Senate too tight to get it passed.
    Nigelb possibly wrong if GOP senators visited WH indicating they are not on side of Roe v Wade overturned, which a handful may feel from their own gut politics.

Should we presume all the GOP senators are on board with abortion becoming illegal? Without trawling through each ones position on it, at least a handful may be for the status quo? Especially if RCS is right in claiming 70% of voters in favour of status quo?
This discussion has been closed.