Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Short Odds, Strong Nerves – Local Election Betting 2022 – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,330
    biggles said:

Is there a list of which councils are counting over night and estimated timing of results?

Seek and you shall find, IIRC, about a third are counting overnight.

https://election.pressassociation.com/locals/provisional-may-election-declaration-times-in-chronological-order/
    Thanks for the googling.

So most London boroughs and some mets are overnight - the initial perspective will be based on those?
    For a very brief period before NI takes over, and then we get the Queen’s Speech. I think Boris is lucky. Again.
    Are we going to get this again - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7JX8D1Kb88 ??
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,024
    Munich airport. Somehow made it. Thanks to very kind Americans at Dulles, DC. On the journey goes…
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,972
    biggles said:

Is there a list of which councils are counting over night and estimated timing of results?

https://election.pressassociation.com/locals/provisional-may-election-declaration-times-in-chronological-order/
    Thanks for the googling.

So most London boroughs and some mets are overnight - the initial perspective will be based on those?
    For a very brief period before NI takes over, and then we get the Queen’s Speech. I think Boris is lucky. Again.
    There's a weekend of reviews before the Speech is delivered. Could easily have third placed (I hope) DUP bellowing 'Never' again!
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

In light relief - they are trying to reintroduce the Junkers 52.

https://scramble.nl/civil-news/the-return-of-the-junkers-ju-52

Persuade some of your Home Guard 1940 reenactment group to learn parachuting, and that's the opposition sorted out.

The inlines make it look very different.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,885
    dixiedean said:

Does everyone else have food waste bins?
    We don't. Not even plastic or glass. All of that goes straight to landfill.

Flatlands:
    Black bin - non recyclable - fortnightly
    Green bin - garden waste - fortnightly (except in winter, when it stops, just when you are clearing the garden)
    Blue bin - cardboard and some plastic bottles - fortnightly
    Green box - glass bottles - weekly

Food waste - no collection (although I personally never have any)
    Hard plastic - no collection, nor even any recycling facility for such materials which are clearly labelled as recyclable.

Fly tipping - horrendous, particularly near to 'traveller' sites. I have even seen one of their tipper trucks drive along with the flatbed raised tipping stuff into the middle of the road. I doubt if making commercial waste free would make much difference as it is 90% culture.
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,339
    Sandpit said:

AlistairM said:

It does appear another BM-21 Grad Multiple rocket launcher was damaged/captured by Ukrainian forces in the village.
    https://twitter.com/Arslon_Xudosi/status/1521805180597059585

Take a look at this picture. Looks like an old Lada with a Z painted on it. What does it say about the situation for the Russian forces if they are using these types of vehicle?

Another missile launcher with a Ukranian flag on it, good to see!

The old Lada was probably looted. There’s quite an astonishing collection of 1980s and 1990s cars in Ukraine, both Soviet and Western brands. They’ll be easier to hot wire and keep running than more modern types.
    Ah, the old joke:

A Russian returns home to find his Lada has been stolen on a frosty morning. He places an advert in the paper which reads “whoever stole it can keep the car, just please tell me how you got it started”.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,859
    biggles said:

Sandpit said:

AlistairM said:

It does appear another BM-21 Grad Multiple rocket launcher was damaged/captured by Ukrainian forces in the village.

Take a look at this picture. Looks like an old Lada with a Z painted on it. What does it say about the situation for the Russian forces if they are using these types of vehicle?

The old Lada was probably looted. There’s quite an astonishing collection of 1980s and 1990s cars in Ukraine, both Soviet and Western brands. They’ll be easier to hot wire and keep running than more modern types.
    Ah, the old joke:

A Russian returns home to find his Lada has been stolen on a frosty morning. He places an advert in the paper which reads “whoever stole it can keep the car, just please tell me how you got it started”.
    They have heated rear windows, so you can keep your hands warm on a cold morning…
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Flatlands:
    Green bin - garden waste - fortnightly (except in winter, when it stops, just when you are clearing the garden)

Hard plastic - no collection, nor even any recycling facility for such materials which are clearly labelled as recyclable.

Fly tipping - horrendous, particularly near to 'traveller' sites. I have even seen one of their tipper trucks drive along with the flatbed raised tipping stuff into the middle of the road. I doubt if making commercial waste free would make much difference as it is 90% culture.
    What is it with travellers. How can you have a culture which is so sociopathic. Literally doesn’t give a fuck - apparently - about anyone else

Is it genetic? Can they not learn?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,807

Sandpit said:

biggles said:

If Sunak went, surely he’d almost have to pick Gove?

One of Gove, Truss and Hunt. Can’t see anyone else as being qualified.
    It'll be Nadine Dorries and you know it.
    It will be Mark Francois.
  • Options
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Flatlands:

What is it with travellers. How can you have a culture which is so sociopathic. Literally doesn’t give a fuck - apparently - about anyone else

"his hand shall be against every man, and every man's hand against him" - it's a feedback loop where people are excluded from society and they exclude themselves.

Among the travellers, there is a special opprobrium for being seen to "side" with outsiders, in *any* circumstance. This is then taken advantage of by the bad elements in the traveller community to use as a form of Omertà.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,985
    Sandpit said:

AlistairM said:

It's only a "Lada" if it's exported. All of the examples in former USSR countries are VAZ. (Nothing to do with Keith or "Jim")

Lada/Лада literally means "harmony". LOL.
  • Options
    RH1992RH1992 Posts: 788
    edited May 2022

dixiedean said:

Flatlands:

Leeds:

Black bin - non recyclable general waste - weekly
    Green bin - recyclable plastic (quite wide ranging, includes some plastics you'd have to take to the supermarket elsewhere) and cardboard/paper - monthly (!)
    Brown bin - garden waste - monthly

Food waste - no collection, encouraged to compost
    Glass - no collection, encouraged to use the glass banks, one in every few streets
    Disposable coffee cups - no collection but bins in the city centre and other local centres that take them

I'm quite happy with Leeds accepting a large range of plastic in their green bins, but unfortunately our green bin is full after 2 weeks and it seems this happens to most of the neighbours too. We end up having to dump 4-5 white bin bags of recyclable waste next to the green bin the night before collection and they sit in the garden getting rained on for up to 2 weeks. If I was in charge I'd be doing the black bin monthly and the recyclables weekly or fortnightly at most.
  • Options

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Flatlands:

"his hand shall be against every man, and every man's hand against him" - it's a feedback loop where people are excluded from society and they exclude themselves.

Among the travellers, there is a special opprobrium for being seen to "side" with outsiders, in *any* circumstance. This is then taken advantage of by the bad elements in the traveller community to use as a form of Omertà.
    But something as basic as littering? Which they do to an appalling extent. It’s one reason they are so despised in Eastern Europe.

Isn’t that basic human nature? You look at a place you have totally fucked up, and you think, ah, I’d better clean that up for the next person, because I would not like to find this if I was the next person. Selfish altruism. Universal

I get that a badly brought up teenager might not see this but an entire society is, to me, inexplicable. I’ve been reading about the Lewis Clark expedition across the Americas and the nomadic tribes they met were more careful of the environment. So it’s not the nomad thing

Weird
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,807
    RH1992 said:

dixiedean said:

Flatlands:

Leeds:

Green bin - recyclable plastic (quite wide ranging, includes some plastics you'd have to take to the supermarket elsewhere) and cardboard/paper - monthly (!)

Glass - no collection, encouraged to use the glass banks, one in every few streets
    Disposable coffee cups - no collection but bins in the city centre and other local centres that take them

I'm quite happy with Leeds accepting a large range of plastic in their green bins, but unfortunately our green bin is full after 2 weeks and it seems this happens to most of the neighbours too. We end up having to dump 4-5 plastic bags of recyclable waste next to the green bin the night before collection. If I was in charge I'd be doing the black bin monthly and the recyclables weekly or fortnightly at most.
    Can you 'order' a second green bin? Kirklees seem modestly generous with those, at least.
  • Options
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Flatlands:

I sympathise with the opinions of TSE's mother on Travellers.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Flatlands:

But something as basic as littering? Which they do to an appalling extent. It’s one reason they are so despised in Eastern Europe.

Isn’t that basic human nature? You look at a place you have totally fucked up, and you think, ah, I’d better clean that up for the next person, because I would not like to find this if I was the next person. Selfish altruism. Universal

I get that a badly brought up teenager might not see this but an entire society is, to me, inexplicable. I’ve been reading about the Lewis Clark expedition across the Americas and the nomadic tribes they met were more careful of the environment. So it’s not the nomad thing

Weird
    If you've ever been canvassing, you'll encounter people who quite literally, are happy to live in their own shit.

It's inexplicable.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,590
    Pro_Rata said:

RH1992 said:

dixiedean said:

Flatlands:

Leeds:

I'm quite happy with Leeds accepting a large range of plastic in their green bins, but unfortunately our green bin is full after 2 weeks and it seems this happens to most of the neighbours too. We end up having to dump 4-5 plastic bags of recyclable waste next to the green bin the night before collection. If I was in charge I'd be doing the black bin monthly and the recyclables weekly or fortnightly at most.
    Can you 'order' a second green bin? Kirklees seem modestly generous with those, at least.
    My council were quite happy to give us a second bin for recycling. It helps hit the recycling targets. We do have to pay for the garden waste though.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,164

Liverpool will not win the tetralogy but this is a nice stat.

Liverpool are the first English team to reach 10 European Cup / Champions League finals:

10 - Liverpool
    5 - Man Utd
    3 - Chelsea
    2 - Nottingham Forest
    1 - Arsenal, Aston Villa, Leeds United, Man City, Tottenham

https://twitter.com/WinnerpoolLFC/status/1521622071209603072

Wait - so we are using historic competitions now? So we can stop just referring to the Premier League era as if football didn't exist in 1993?
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,985
    biggles said:

Sandpit said:

AlistairM said:

Ah, the old joke:

There is an incredibly elaborate Russian joke about crossing farm fields in a BMW, Mercedes and VAZ. An activity at which the VAZ is clearly superior. The punchline to the joke is the Russian proverb: Говна в говне не тонет / Shit doesn't stick to shit.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,477
    Applicant said:

Phil said:

kinabalu said:

Heathener said:

By the way, the reason the LibDems had a rocky spell in Kingston-u-T is because they screwed up finances. And made a mess of the town centre, although the leaning phone boxes amuse me (my brother thinks they're an example of profligacy). They have since got on top of things and they're surefire to win.

This is one of the reasons I think Woking represents real value at 2/1. The tory minority council have massively screwed up the money. It's the third most debt-ridden council in the entire United Kingdom. Yes that's right: Woking. £1.84 billion in debt. A tory led council. It's staggering.

https://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/surrey-news/staggering-amount-woking-borough-council-23066714

Last Con election broadcast I saw, a night or so ago, claimed that only Lab or LD councils were in debt and likely to default.
    I shouted something about Northants at the TV but the chap didn't seem to hear me!
    I think lying has become the Con norm under Johnson. Eg I got their leaflet for Camden and it claimed the Lab council only does the bins fortnightly. Just not true. It's every Tuesday. They come early so you put them out Monday night. System works like a dream. It's unimprovable. So if the Tories are planning to make it a referendum on the bins, if they think they have a wedge issue here with this, they're in for a nasty shock. Bins very good under Labour in Camden.
    I could hardly believe this.

Are you saying in London boroughs, your rubbish is collected every week ? It certainly seems to be the case in the borough webpages I have spot-checked.

WTF .. I think everywhere in Wales, rubbish bins are collected once every two weeks (usually longer).

In Gwynedd, it is every three weeks. In Abertawe it is every two weeks, in Conwy, it is every 4 weeks,

Just absolutely typical of London, preaching to the rest of the country... but not practising what they preach :wink:

The rest of us have been told to reduce our landfill, so we get reduced collections.

And you say Labour are responsible for this ....
    Round here we get a rubbish collection every week that alternates between recycling & general waste. Food waste is collected every week. Generally it seems to work fine - the recyclable / non-recyclable waste split means that bins get to be full roughly when collection happens (and you can get larger bins for larger households).

In Gwynedd, recycling is every week, but rubbish is every 3 weeks.

This is typical for Wales.

In my opinion, it seems to have led to increased fly-tipping in rural Wales, though that is just an impression and I have no statistics to back it up.

But -- what seems extraordinary -- is London seems to have rubbish bin collections *every week* (happy to be corrected, but it does seem to be the case in Camden from the Council webpage).
    I find it quite extraordinary that any council is still clinging on to what I consider a proper waste collection service - everything, every week. Any less is totally inadequate.
    Why?

If waste has been successfully reduced, there is less of it so collection is needed less often. The issue then becomes any decomposition and vermin.

Why drive lorries around collecting waste that isn't there from empty bins?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Some do. Food waste always seems to me to be one of those things better addressed earlier in the supply chain, and managed using things like a freezer and portions.

We have glass bins (once every 8 weeks iirc).
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,347
    Sean_F said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Flatlands:

Weird
    If you've ever been canvassing, you'll encounter people who quite literally, are happy to live in their own shit.

It's inexplicable.
    We do electrical upgrades for a Housing Assocation, some of the sites we see are jaw dropping. The hoarders do not need any rubbish collections.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,412

Liverpool are the first English team to reach 10 European Cup / Champions League finals:

10 - Liverpool
    5 - Man Utd
    3 - Chelsea
    2 - Nottingham Forest

Wait - so we are using historic competitions now? So we can stop just referring to the Premier League era as if football didn't exist in 1993?
    We not only can, but should. While we're at it let's start calling it 'League Division 1' again. And also rename the Champions League 'the European Cup'. The old names were both better and more accurate.

A pet hate of mine is things changing their names.
  • Options
    RH1992RH1992 Posts: 788
    Pro_Rata said:

RH1992 said:

dixiedean said:

Flatlands:

Leeds:

Having just looked at the council website it seems you can without any fee. I wasn't aware of this to be honest but that might be an option. I also wasn't aware that you can recycle the plastic wrapping that bread comes in around here so there's more recycling to do.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    RH1992 said:

dixiedean said:

Flatlands:

Leeds:

I'm quite happy with Leeds accepting a large range of plastic in their green bins, but unfortunately our green bin is full after 2 weeks and it seems this happens to most of the neighbours too. We end up having to dump 4-5 white bin bags of recyclable waste next to the green bin the night before collection and they sit in the garden getting rained on for up to 2 weeks. If I was in charge I'd be doing the black bin monthly and the recyclables weekly or fortnightly at most.
    Ashfield:

Red, general waste: Fortnightly. 180l wheeliebin.
    Green, recycling: Fortnightly. 240l wheeliebin.
    Blue, glass: Once per 8 weeks. 120l wheeliebin.
    Brown, garden waste: Paid for @ £28 per year for fortnightly March to November ish.
    Bulky waste: £14 for one item. £20 for 3 items.
    Food collection: None, and no flapping with wormeries and the like.

Plus public skips in various places in spring for "operation spring clean".

Round here put something chunky (from a toaster up) and with metal outside the gate, and a driveby scrappie will collect it PDQ.

Within reason they will take an extra bin liner of excess.

I'm generally happy with that.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,127
    MattW said:

dixiedean said:

Some do. Food waste always seems to me to be one of those things better addressed earlier in the supply chain, and managed using things like a freezer and portions.

We've got a wormery so our food waste goes into that. Although there are some things that are not permitted most of it can be used.
  • Options
    Taz said:

MattW said:

dixiedean said:

We've got a wormery so our food waste goes into that. Although there are some things that are not permitted most of it can be used.
    I compost, but I made a big insulated door last year for the compost bin which means it's now more difficult to get to.

Review required :smile:
  • Options
    Camden bin collection: daily after 6pm

Just bin all your rubbish and take it down to the Main Street and it will be hauled away with all the daily restaurant/cafe/office trash

Perfect
  • Options
    RH1992 said:

Pro_Rata said:

RH1992 said:

dixiedean said:

Flatlands:

Leeds:

Having just looked at the council website it seems you can without any fee. I wasn't aware of this to be honest but that might be an option. I also wasn't aware that you can recycle the plastic wrapping that bread comes in around here so there's more recycling to do.
    Have you considered composting your cardboard?

People Who Know tell me that it helps aerate the compost heap when torn into small pieces. Useful for people with loadsa grass clippings as a balance.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,883
    This is not cute. This is not fun. This is a sign of extreme electoral distress. https://twitter.com/Tony_Diver/status/1521820058619686912
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,282
    Cookie said:

10 - Liverpool
    5 - Man Utd
    3 - Chelsea
    2 - Nottingham Forest

We not only can, but should. While we're at it let's start calling it 'League Division 1' again. And also rename the Champions League 'the European Cup'. The old names were both better and more accurate.

Like PB posters, you mean?
  • Options
    MattW said:

RH1992 said:

dixiedean said:

Flatlands:

Leeds:

Ashfield:

Brown, garden waste: Paid for @ £28 per year for fortnightly March to November ish.

Round here put something chunky (from a toaster up) and with metal outside the gate, and a driveby scrappie will collect it PDQ.

St Albans

Brown, general waste: Fortnightly (week 1) 240l wheeliebin
    Black, plastics, glass and metals: Fortnightly (week 2) 240l wheeliebin
    Green, garden waste: Fortnightly (week 2) 240l wheeliebin (£45 per year for all year round)
    Boxes, paper and cardboard: Fortnightly (week 2)
    Green Caddy, food waste: Weekly 23L
  • Options
    Exclusive polling for The Telegraph on Tuesday suggested that the Conservatives are on track to lose nearly 550 seats in this week’s elections.

🏙️They could also lose control of councils in London, including Wandsworth and Westminster
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/05/02/tories-set-lose-550-seats-worst-local-election-performance-generation/
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,502
    EU should drop unanimity in foreign policy, Italian PM says
    https://euobserver.com/world/154859
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052
    @trussliz
    NEWS: Today I announce a ban on services exports to Russia. Russian businesses will no longer benefit from the UK’s world class accountancy, consultancy and PR services.

We’re making sure that Putin fails in Ukraine.

https://twitter.com/trussliz/status/1521822839027941377
  • Options

@trussliz
    NEWS: Today I announce a ban on services exports to Russia. Russian businesses will no longer benefit from the UK’s world class accountancy, consultancy and PR services.

But they can still buy politicians
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Perhaps not unconnected with this.
    Worrying rumours circulate as Viktor Orbán is assembling his next government, which could be his most pro-Kremlin ever with multiple ministers having close Russian ties. Hungary's foreign policy, military, national security & cyber defense apparatus could all be affected. Thread.
    https://twitter.com/panyiszabolcs/status/1521813837598670848
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,940
    dixiedean said:

nico679 said:

dixiedean said:

Expect Friday to be a big political day.
    Still not sure the media, and political establishment in general, are fully aware of quite what a story is brewing in NI. It may actually impinge on our consciousness for a short time.

Last nights NI debate was a car crash for the DUP Leader . Came last and if people in NI had any sense they’d ensure that the DUP don’t even make second place . Essentially he told viewers fxck the cost of living crisis we care more about trying to get the NI protocol removed and will refuse to take part in the assembly until that happens .
    Yes. And the Protocol remains popular too.
    Not sure a situation where a government can't be formed because the Party who came third refuses (on an issue the vast majority are content with) is going to be tenable for long.
    IF it happens of course.
    Surely in that scenario, the Alliance would temporarily designate as unionist "for the greater good" then vow to get the "stupid sectarian rules changed now we are in power"? They have form in this regard, having temporarily designated as unionist at the time of the GFA, for tactical reasons.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Exclusive polling for The Telegraph on Tuesday suggested that the Conservatives are on track to lose nearly 550 seats in this week’s elections.

🏙️They could also lose control of councils in London, including Wandsworth and Westminster
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/05/02/tories-set-lose-550-seats-worst-local-election-performance-generation/

A 24% vote share for the Conservatives is very unlikely, even in London.
  • Options

Thanks for the googling.

All counting should be done overnight. Friday counting is rubbish – I hate the London mayoral elections which use this daft system.
  • Options
    MISTYMISTY Posts: 1,594

@trussliz

Idiot tories think the voters really care about Ukraine, just because the Mail likes dramatic pictures of explosions,

Its the the economy, stupid.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052
    Scott_xP said:

@trussliz

But they can still buy politicians
    The SPD has cornered the market.
  • Options
    Icarus said:

kinabalu said:

Heathener said:

By the way, the reason the LibDems had a rocky spell in Kingston-u-T is because they screwed up finances. And made a mess of the town centre, although the leaning phone boxes amuse me (my brother thinks they're an example of profligacy). They have since got on top of things and they're surefire to win.

This is one of the reasons I think Woking represents real value at 2/1. The tory minority council have massively screwed up the money. It's the third most debt-ridden council in the entire United Kingdom. Yes that's right: Woking. £1.84 billion in debt. A tory led council. It's staggering.

https://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/surrey-news/staggering-amount-woking-borough-council-23066714

Last Con election broadcast I saw, a night or so ago, claimed that only Lab or LD councils were in debt and likely to default.
    I shouted something about Northants at the TV but the chap didn't seem to hear me!
    I think lying has become the Con norm under Johnson. Eg I got their leaflet for Camden and it claimed the Lab council only does the bins fortnightly. Just not true. It's every Tuesday. They come early so you put them out Monday night. System works like a dream. It's unimprovable. So if the Tories are planning to make it a referendum on the bins, if they think they have a wedge issue here with this, they're in for a nasty shock. Bins very good under Labour in Camden.

Are you saying in London boroughs, your rubbish is collected every week ? It certainly seems to be the case in the borough webpages I have spot-checked.

WTF .. I think everywhere in Wales, rubbish bins are collected once every two weeks (usually longer).

In Gwynedd, it is every three weeks. In Abertawe it is every two weeks, in Conwy, it is every 4 weeks,

Just absolutely typical of London, preaching to the rest of the country... but not practising what they preach :wink:

The rest of us have been told to reduce our landfill, so we get reduced collections.

In my daughter's village in Andalusia, Spain rubbish is collected daily. From large communal bins sorted into different categories.
    I can understand that. In my experience rubbish in Spain starts to smell bad very quickly.

Fortnightly works ok in the North West of England for most of the year - but in the summer I have more than once had the unpleasant experience of trying to de-maggot the bin (in fairness, most often the green bin, which is collected weekly anyway).
    I'm never entirely sure of the best way to do this, nor why I am doing it apart from a strong feeling of revulsion, partnered with shame if it is my bin that people see the trail of maggots coming from - which itself is an interesting if not particularly instructive insight into some of the hard-wiring of the human brain.
  • Options
    MISTYMISTY Posts: 1,594
    Sean_F said:

Scott_xP said:

Could the tory no-show be even worse than the worst predictions?

I think it could.
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,809
    Renfrewshire bin collection (SNP council).
    Brown bin (garden/food waste) - every fortnight
    Blue bin (paper/cardboard) - every 4 weeks - not same week as Brown bin.
    Green bin (hard plastic/glass/cans) - every 4 weeks, alternating fortnightly with Blue bin.
    Grey bin (general waste) - every 3 weeks, so once every 3 weeks there are 2 bins to put out.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,192
    Scott_xP said:

It could be 1000 seats and tory MPs still wont make a move against the Liar in Chief.
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,339
    edited May 2022

@trussliz

We’re stopping them from having access to our audit firms and consultancy advice? Surely that will boost their GDP?? Much better to drown them in pages and pages of big four slide decks….
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,952
    Sean_F said:

Scott_xP said:

550 losses looks very unlikely too imho.
    I believe they are only defending 1965.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,127

MattW said:

RH1992 said:

dixiedean said:

Flatlands:

Leeds:

Ashfield:

St Albans

Green, garden waste: Fortnightly (week 2) 240l wheeliebin (£45 per year for all year round)
    Durham

Green bin for glass fortnightly
    Blue bin for recyclables - plastics, cardboard etc. Fortnightly
    Brown bin for garden waste - extra £35 a year - fortnightly during collections season.
    Black bin for all other stuff - fortnightly
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,192
    MISTY said:

Sean_F said:

Scott_xP said:

I think it could.
    FWIW Allison Pearson in Torygraph says she knows no one who is going to vote conservative tomorrow. Everyone sat on their hands except one mate who will vote for her councillor has he fixed her hedge.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Perhaps not unconnected with this.
    Worrying rumours circulate as Viktor Orbán is assembling his next government, which could be his most pro-Kremlin ever with multiple ministers having close Russian ties. Hungary's foreign policy, military, national security & cyber defense apparatus could all be affected. Thread.
    https://twitter.com/panyiszabolcs/status/1521813837598670848
    That’ll be the same Hungary adopted and adored by our beloved ex-pb-er, and fervent Remoaner, Mister A Meeks? It would be instructive to watch him argue his way through this….
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,324
    Bins etc. The several large recycling bins have been removed from the Sainsbury's (and other shops) car park. Ironically, they had become a magnet for fly tippers.
  • Options
    Another one bites the dust ...'The Chancellor of the Exchequer has this day appointed Neil Quentin Gordon Parish to be Steward and Bailiff of the Manor of Northstead'. Translation - Porn MP Neil Parish resigns triggering by-election in Tiverton & Honiton ( Con maj 24,239).
    https://twitter.com/Torcuil/status/1521828684860207104
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Leon said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Flatlands:

Weird
    It is bizarre. Most of our travellers are of Irish descent rather than Roma - quite a few have actual houses in west Cork - but the culture is the same.

I wonder if it is just a refusal to engage with anything that looks like 'authority'. Rubbish collection and 'recycling' centres are council run and therefore part of the enemy.

At least 50% of the rubbish I see dumped in the countryside would have been accepted for free by the council and it has actually taken more effort to tip it than deal with it legally.

Similar to the recent spate of cast iron drain covers being stolen. These are heavy iron grates but must be worth less than £1 as scrap. The effort required to drive round, lever them out and lift them into a van must have cost more in fuel than they would ever gain from selling them. Why do it? It makes no sense.

You do wonder how any 'normal' families could live in such an environment.

What do the council do about it? Well, given that the make up was 90% Labour when the sites were set up, in their own piece of 'fly tipping' it was decided to put all but one of the traveller sites in the small number of Tory wards.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,137

kinabalu said:

Heathener said:

Good job you do not live here in Wales

Our bins are collected ONCE a month
    Not here in the Vale of Glamorgan they are not. Black bin X 2 every fortnight as much recycling as one can create collected every week.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Taz said:

MattW said:

RH1992 said:

dixiedean said:

Flatlands:

Leeds:

Ashfield:

St Albans

Durham

Brown bin for garden waste - extra £35 a year - fortnightly during collections season.
    We have to take glass to a few sites about the town. Two lads have made quite a business collecting wine etc bottles from some of our wealthier pensioners.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Cookie said:

10 - Liverpool
    5 - Man Utd
    3 - Chelsea
    2 - Nottingham Forest

Ha - well two obvious examples there - one changed for understandable reasons, the other because doing so is part of the whole persona. And a few less well known examples. I don't mind that. I'm mainly thinking of sports teams, stadiums, brands, etc - where the implication is that the public should be pleased and excited about the name changes.
    Also motorway service stations. There was a wave of that a couple of decades back, where it was decided* that motorway service stations should be free to call themselves what they wanted, and they went from nice poetic names** like Hilton Park to horrible and not even particularly geographically accurate names like Birmingham North. Interestingly, most subsequently changed their names back again. People like to call things what they are called.

*whose decision was this? It feels like a New Labour thing, though it could just as well have been scratching-the-cupboard-for-new-ideas Majorism.

**I don't know which particular civil servant was responsible for this - I'd like to think there has only ever been one - but names for service stations are one of the small joys of living in Britain. Little milestones on your journey: Frankley - Strensham - Michaelwood - Gordano - Sedgemoor - Bridgwater - Taunton Deane - Cullompton - the names going from 'just started' Midlands to 'nearly there' south west as you go. There is almost no more evocative description of a journey to a childhood holiday than that. [I've omitted Gloucester, splendid though it is, as a johnny-come-lately and quite a boringly named one at that.] And you could do the same for any big motorway.
    Scratchwood-Toddington-Newport Pagnell - Rothersthorpe - Watford Gap - Leicester Forest East - Trowell - Tibshelf - Woodall - Woolley Edge. [I know Tibshelf is a johnny-come-lately too, but it was meant to be there almost from the start - and they kept the planned name even though by then they were free to call it something boring like 'Chesterfield South'.]
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,385
    Taz said:

MattW said:

RH1992 said:

dixiedean said:

Flatlands:

Leeds:

Ashfield:

St Albans

Durham

Pembrokeshire

3 Grey bags for landfill every 3 weeks
    Waste food box weekly
    Waste paper box weekly
    Used Cardboard a box weekly
    Containers (plastic, tins, etc) weekly
    Glass box weekly

Garden Waste wheely bin fotnightly for extra fee of £50 per year

I must admit Pembrokeshire's refuse system is very good. We quite often only put 2 bags out on the third week.
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,385

Bins etc. The several large recycling bins have been removed from the Sainsbury's (and other shops) car park. Ironically, they had become a magnet for fly tippers.

I've noticed a few litter bins have been removed in the town because some residents are filling them with household rubbish, which isn't allowed.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

10 - Liverpool
    5 - Man Utd
    3 - Chelsea
    2 - Nottingham Forest

Well quite - Swindon have won the Football league Division 1, but it was the third tier, so not that good a claim...
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,137

Phil said:

kinabalu said:

Heathener said:

Round here we get a rubbish collection every week that alternates between recycling & general waste. Food waste is collected every week. Generally it seems to work fine - the recyclable / non-recyclable waste split means that bins get to be full roughly when collection happens (and you can get larger bins for larger households).

In my opinion, it seems to have led to increased fly-tipping in rural Wales, though that is just an impression and I have no statistics to back it up.

But -- what seems extraordinary -- is London seems to have rubbish bin collections *every week* (happy to be corrected, but it does seem to be the case in Camden from the Council webpage).
    Fly tipping in Wales is largely due to recycling depots charging for household building waste
    Not just Wales. But this has been so for decades. There was a trailer and van ban in Cardiff thirty years ago. I took a trailer with a rolled up carpet into a Cardiff HWRC thirty years ago and was told to leave and bring it in without a trailer. I dragged it in by hand from the road. Why should my council tax subsidise traders charging for their services?

Hereford Council are about to charge householders...yes householders ... for using HWRCs.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

TOPPING said:

Cookie said:

10 - Liverpool
    5 - Man Utd
    3 - Chelsea
    2 - Nottingham Forest

Ha - well two obvious examples there - one changed for understandable reasons, the other because doing so is part of the whole persona. And a few less well known examples. I don't mind that. I'm mainly thinking of sports teams, stadiums, brands, etc - where the implication is that the public should be pleased and excited about the name changes.
    Also motorway service stations. There was a wave of that a couple of decades back, where it was decided* that motorway service stations should be free to call themselves what they wanted, and they went from nice poetic names** like Hilton Park to horrible and not even particularly geographically accurate names like Birmingham North. Interestingly, most subsequently changed their names back again. People like to call things what they are called.

*whose decision was this? It feels like a New Labour thing, though it could just as well have been scratching-the-cupboard-for-new-ideas Majorism.

**I don't know which particular civil servant was responsible for this - I'd like to think there has only ever been one - but names for service stations are one of the small joys of living in Britain. Little milestones on your journey: Frankley - Strensham - Michaelwood - Gordano - Sedgemoor - Bridgwater - Taunton Deane - Cullompton - the names going from 'just started' Midlands to 'nearly there' south west as you go. There is almost no more evocative description of a journey to a childhood holiday than that. [I've omitted Gloucester, splendid though it is, as a johnny-come-lately and quite a boringly named one at that.] And you could do the same for any big motorway.
    Scratchwood-Toddington-Newport Pagnell - Rothersthorpe - Watford Gap - Leicester Forest East - Trowell - Tibshelf - Woodall - Woolley Edge. [I know Tibshelf is a johnny-come-lately too, but it was meant to be there almost from the start - and they kept the planned name even though by then they were free to call it something boring like 'Chesterfield South'.]
    I'm with you.

There is a special place in hell for anyone who adopts changed football stadium names. All the horrific 'sponsored' stadiums have a proper name (e.g. Eastlands, Ashburton Grove). The worst one of all is the 'King Power' – which appears to be named after an obscure Thai travel agent and which the fans apparently actually use! I refer to it only as Filbert Way.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

AlistairM said:

It's only a "Lada" if it's exported. All of the examples in former USSR countries are VAZ. (Nothing to do with Keith or "Jim")

Lada/Лада literally means "harmony". LOL.
    Steve Davis won a Lada for the first televised maximum break. (Lada sponsored the tournament.)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgnAIsPY8hA
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,589
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Flatlands:

Stop being a massive racist, Leon.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    dixiedean said:

Sean_F said:

Scott_xP said:

No one seems to be tipping Barnet to go red? Anti semitism toxic Labour still a thing?
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    Cookie said:

TOPPING said:

Cookie said:

10 - Liverpool
    5 - Man Utd
    3 - Chelsea
    2 - Nottingham Forest

Stadium naming rights is particularly annoying, especially to people who aspire to the 92 Club - at the lower levels I'm never quite sure if the team has moved or just got a sponsor. Is the Wham Stadium the same as the Crown Ground? Is the Technique Stadium the same as Saltergate? (I looked it up. Yes and no respectively).

It's a nice little earner for the first sponsor of a new stadium though. The McAlpine will always be the McAlpine, and the Reebok will always be the Reebok. Similarly, I'm pretty sure the Emirates will always be the Emirates to most people (even if it will always be Asburton Grove to me).

And why on earth did they rename the Olympic Stadium to something so bloody dull?
  • Options

Cookie said:

TOPPING said:

Cookie said:

10 - Liverpool
    5 - Man Utd
    3 - Chelsea
    2 - Nottingham Forest

I'm with you.

There is a special place in hell for anyone who adopts changed football stadium names. All the horrific 'sponsored' stadiums have a proper name (e.g. Eastlands, Ashburton Grove). The worst one of all is the 'King Power' – which appears to be named after an obscure Thai travel agent and which the fans apparently actually use! I refer to it only as Filbert Way.
    The most egregious example is surely abrdn. YUCKKKKK

https://www.abrdn.com/en-gb
  • Options

Phil said:

kinabalu said:

Heathener said:

Fly tipping in Wales is largely due to recycling depots charging for household building waste
    Not just Wales. But this has been so for decades. There was a trailer and van ban in Cardiff thirty years ago. I took a trailer with a rolled up carpet into a Cardiff HWRC thirty years ago and was told to leave and bring it in without a trailer. I dragged it in by hand from the road. Why should my council tax subsidise traders charging for their services?

Hereford Council are about to charge householders...yes householders ... for using HWRCs.
    You were allowed to drag it in off the road?

Here you have to arrive in a car. No pedestrians or bicycles allowed.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,096
    Cookie said:

TOPPING said:

Cookie said:

10 - Liverpool
    5 - Man Utd
    3 - Chelsea
    2 - Nottingham Forest

Call them what you like, Motorway service stations are the most horrible places in Britain, so vile that you find yourself longing for another four hours driving on the motorway until you have to stop at another one.
    (Cairn Lodge and Fleet are the honourable exceptions that I have encountered).
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Cookie said:

TOPPING said:

Cookie said:

10 - Liverpool
    5 - Man Utd
    3 - Chelsea
    2 - Nottingham Forest

I'm with you.

Surely "YCKKKKK"?
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

Phil said:

kinabalu said:

Heathener said:

It does not matter where it is, England or Wales or Scotland -- charging for waste disposal at recycling depots is a really bad idea because it encourages the unscrupulous to dump & fly-tip, and then it costs still more to clear up the mess.

If it costs me a bit more on my Council Tax, I don't mind. This is a service I really think all Councils should provide for free.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,663
    Cookie said:

TOPPING said:

Cookie said:

10 - Liverpool
    5 - Man Utd
    3 - Chelsea
    2 - Nottingham Forest

Rather touching, if a sign of the modern era: wonder what Betjeman would have said, after his "Great Central Railway Sheffield Victoria to Banbury"?
  • Options
    Applicant said:

TOPPING said:

Cookie said:

TOPPING said:

Cookie said:

10 - Liverpool
    5 - Man Utd
    3 - Chelsea
    2 - Nottingham Forest

I'm with you.

Surely "YCKKKKK"?
    Indeed.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,663

Phil said:

kinabalu said:

Heathener said:

You were allowed to drag it in off the road?

Here you have to arrive in a car. No pedestrians or bicycles allowed.
    Us too. There used to be pedestrian access - extremely useful to drop off small stuff en route to the shops - but the design was poor and they decided no, on safety grounds. Very, very unpopular, and not just on obvious environmental grounds.
  • Options
    IcarusIcarus Posts: 898
    Cookie said:

Icarus said:

kinabalu said:

Heathener said:

In my daughter's village in Andalusia, Spain rubbish is collected daily. From large communal bins sorted into different categories.
    I can understand that. In my experience rubbish in Spain starts to smell bad very quickly.

Fortnightly works ok in the North West of England for most of the year - but in the summer I have more than once had the unpleasant experience of trying to de-maggot the bin (in fairness, most often the green bin, which is collected weekly anyway).
    I'm never entirely sure of the best way to do this, nor why I am doing it apart from a strong feeling of revulsion, partnered with shame if it is my bin that people see the trail of maggots coming from - which itself is an interesting if not particularly instructive insight into some of the hard-wiring of the human brain.
    But collective bins are an idea that could be useful in some areas of Britain.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,952
    Applicant said:

Cookie said:

TOPPING said:

Cookie said:

10 - Liverpool
    5 - Man Utd
    3 - Chelsea
    2 - Nottingham Forest

Stadium naming rights is particularly annoying, especially to people who aspire to the 92 Club - at the lower levels I'm never quite sure if the team has moved or just got a sponsor. Is the Wham Stadium the same as the Crown Ground? Is the Technique Stadium the same as Saltergate? (I looked it up. Yes and no respectively).

It's a nice little earner for the first sponsor of a new stadium though. The McAlpine will always be the McAlpine, and the Reebok will always be the Reebok. Similarly, I'm pretty sure the Emirates will always be the Emirates to most people (even if it will always be Asburton Grove to me).

And why on earth did they rename the Olympic Stadium to something so bloody dull?
    Indeed.
    What is Bolton's stadium actually called? The retail park is known as the Reebok, too.
    Or Wigan Athletic?
  • Options
    BlancheLivermoreBlancheLivermore Posts: 5,211
    @tompeck
    Sad to think that if crossrail had been delayed by maybe just a few more years, the Elizabeth Line could have been the Line of Charlie.
    https://twitter.com/tompeck/status/1521808443782451201
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,809

Cookie said:

TOPPING said:

Cookie said:

10 - Liverpool
    5 - Man Utd
    3 - Chelsea
    2 - Nottingham Forest

I'm with you.

Livingston are sponsored by a chain of Italian restaurants, so they play at the Tony Macaroni Arena,
    popularly known now as the Spaghetti-had.
  • Options
    So the post locals “we’ve listened and we are acting” reshuffle is a thing - to take the government from these locals up to the GE.

How many changes can we get right.

Truss to Chancellor is nailed on. Any disagreement?
    Wallace to home office. Who then gets defence, Mourdant?
    Patel to Foreign Secretary. This role would suit her much better wouldn’t it?

I also think it’s nailed on Boris will bring nineteen intake into government.
  • Options

Cookie said:

TOPPING said:

Cookie said:

10 - Liverpool
    5 - Man Utd
    3 - Chelsea
    2 - Nottingham Forest

Call them what you like, Motorway service stations are the most horrible places in Britain, so vile that you find yourself longing for another four hours driving on the motorway until you have to stop at another one.
    Tebay’s a very honourable exception
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    Melenchon's party, the Greens, Socialists and Communists agree to run on a common platform ahead of next month's French legislative elections

https://twitter.com/EuropeElects/status/1521833634109562880?s=20&t=rXOJMQyfiZqJV-5pCZNZPw
  • Options
    Have we had Wordle today? Not that tricky.

Wordle 319 3/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
    ⬜🟨🟨🟨⬜
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
  • Options

MISTY said:

Sean_F said:

Scott_xP said:

I think it could.
    FWIW Allison Pearson in Torygraph says she knows no one who is going to vote conservative tomorrow. Everyone sat on their hands except one mate who will vote for her councillor has he fixed her hedge.
    Probably accurate but beware two things - (1) Council elections are often protest votes in mid term and (2) once in the booth old habits often revert.

I suspect we may see some re-emergence of the shy tory voter - tells opinion polls one thing, and does another.
  • Options

So the post locals “we’ve listened and we are acting” reshuffle is a thing - to take the government from these locals up to the GE.

How many changes can we get right.

Truss to Chancellor is nailed on. Any disagreement?
    Wallace to home office. Who then gets defence, Mourdant?
    Patel to Foreign Secretary. This role would suit her much better wouldn’t it?

I also think it’s nailed on Boris will bring nineteen intake into government.

Wallace Road Foreign Secretary, given the current Ukraine situation you need an experienced figure there.

Patel would stay at Home Secretary if Truss is Chancellor
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Applicant said:

Cookie said:

TOPPING said:

Cookie said:

10 - Liverpool
    5 - Man Utd
    3 - Chelsea
    2 - Nottingham Forest

Indeed.
    What is Bolton's stadium actually called? The retail park is known as the Reebok, too.
    Or Wigan Athletic?
    Bolton and Wigan's stadiums don't have real names, according to Wikipedia, which is usually pretty good at using non-sponsored names when there is one in any sort of common use. Huddersfield is the Kirklees Stadium apparently.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,589
    Cyclefree said:

kinabalu said:

Heathener said:

The WhatsApp group for Fortune Green is full of complaints about Camden not collecting the bins from the local shops and restaurants, the resulting fly-tipping and rubbish strewn around the streets and how complaints to Camden result in no action. The Lib Dems are making a big thing of it. The impression is that matters have got worse. So "unimprovable" is overstating it, I think.

As for Copeland, you'd hardly know there was an election. The local Tory (I assume) came round at the very start with a leaflet about all the local stuff he was doing. The Lib Dems have done no canvassing at all - not even a leaflet. And eventually the Labour candidate left a leaflet with my milk bottles saying that the lovely lady running the local and very good theatre in Millom supported her.

That's it. People are much more exercised about the proposals for an Iron Line locally with the celebrated Dutch garden designer, Piet Oudolf, involved and the next Spring Fair at Holker Hall.
    I am in Camden (and part of the LD campaign). Recycling and food waste is collected every week. Domestic waste is only collected every other week. Garden waste is weekly, but you have to pay for it.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Sean_F said:

Scott_xP said:

No one seems to be tipping Barnet to go red? Anti semitism toxic Labour still a thing?
    Labour has never run Barnet. It is quite a posh area of London and Mrs Thatcher used to be one of its MPs. It was not a workers paradise turned blue through fear of Jeremy Corbyn's stormtroopers, handy as that notion may have been for political propaganda.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barnet_London_Borough_Council_elections
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,168
    Sean_F said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Flatlands:

Weird

It's inexplicable.
    I once stayed a night with a comrade I knew through the local socialists to avoid spending the night waiting outside a train station, and it turned out that he'd had some sort of conflict with the council, so was no longer having his refuse collected, and his flat was stuffed with black refuse bags of his rubbish. That was strange.

As was my landlady who had a roomful of tetrapak cartons she had been collecting for recycling for at least a decade, and cooed over the mice she caught in the live traps in the food cupboard.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Theresa May lost over 1000 council seats in 2019, even 550 losses would not be that bad
  • Options
    Russia has reportedly instituted a form of serfdom for its Ukranian abductees.

The location of some 300 Mariupol residents, deported to🇷🇺,was detected. They are in Vladivostok w/o documents and are being registered

No money is given to them, so they simply can't get in touch.Only low-skilled work is offered,–Mariupol Mayor adviser

https://mobile.twitter.com/EuromaidanPress/status/1521827145387061251P
  • Options

I've noticed a few litter bins have been removed in the town because some residents are filling them with household rubbish, which isn't allowed.
    I do occasionally wonder if everyone knows the council takes away rubbish for free.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,326

Just building my rep as PB's eccentric - I like motorway service stations, especially Moto. But then I like fast food, and nowadays they have comfortable sofas to sit while you eat, and you can read a book and nobody bothers you no matter how long you stay. I'm just back from a West Country holiday, and driving leisurely back and stopping for a bite and a chapter every now and then made it a very easy run. What seems to be the problem?
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,442
    edited May 2022
    HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Theresa May lost over 1000 council seats in 2019, even 550 losses would not be that bad
    What would be bad? Earlier you were saying the loss of Westminster would be bad, is it now not bad? Are there degrees of bad which aren't bad?

Could you give me a line in the sand from which the local elections would be considered bad?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Top expectations management going on here I think from conservatives and friends in media, Telegraph expectations getting worse each day this week 🤭

Seriously though, whose listening? It’s the electionologists like Thrasher and rawlynne who will tell us what’s good and bad, not the press or party’s themselves?

The key thing is spotting the stay at home from the switch. places like Swindon, are voters changing votes to another party. I’ve got this suspicion the electorate, or bit of it that gave him landslide win, have not given up on Boris yet, and this mountain of real votes can have a go at answering that question if treated honestly and scientifically.
  • Options
    Applicant said:

Cookie said:

TOPPING said:

Cookie said:

10 - Liverpool
    5 - Man Utd
    3 - Chelsea
    2 - Nottingham Forest

I live in north London and still call Arsenal's ground, 'Highbury' – on the basis that it is in Highbury as near as dammit and the old ground wasn't ever officially called Highbury either (it was the Arsenal Stadium).
This discussion has been closed.