Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

How different pollsters ask the “best PM” question – politicalbetting.com

1234568»

Comments

• StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,847
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Will anyone think of the poor bankers?

Are there any poor bankers?
    If they are poor and not making much money they don't stay bankers very long
    It takes a minimum of 12-15 years as a banker before you start making life changing amounts of money
    And you will be out well before you have reached that 12-15 year period if you aren't any good at it
    Not true. A good analyst may be a crap VP. A weak analyst may be a fantastic Managing Director. They are different roles that require very different skill sets
    Well regardless you have to be a good analyst or broker to start with to get promotion, if you aren't you are normally out.

Unless hires at managerial level are made from MBAs with managerial and board level experience already elsewhere
    Not really. The only promotions that aren’t automatic are associate to VP and Director to MD.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 120,995
    edited March 2022

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

It takes a minimum of 12-15 years as a banker before you start making life changing amounts of money
    And you will be out well before you have reached that 12-15 year period if you aren't any good at it
    Not true. A good analyst may be a crap VP. A weak analyst may be a fantastic Managing Director. They are different roles that require very different skill sets
    Well regardless you have to be a good analyst or broker to start with to get promotion, if you aren't you are normally out.

Unless hires at managerial level are made from MBAs with managerial and board level experience already elsewhere
    Not really. The only promotions that aren’t automatic are associate to VP and Director to MD.
    Show me one crap analyst who survived long enough to be promoted to become a Managing Director or VP without being fired first?
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,243

I see Australia are giving a state funeral to Shane Warne. He was a great cricketer and seemed a personable guy . i am not sure I agree that's enough for a state funeral. Its a bit warped in values that promotes sport and celebrity above more meaningful contributions to life I guess .Sort of on the same lines as giving Gavin Williamson a knighthood.

If Gavin Williamson deserves a knighthood, then Shane Warne deserves to be King of the Universe. A shameful comparison.
    Well Gav did deliver the "balls up of the century" with the exams fiasco.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,452
    edited March 2022
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Show me one crap analyst who survived long enough to become a Managing Director or VP without being fired first?
    []
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Show me one crap analyst who survived long enough to be promoted to become a Managing Director or VP without being fired first?
    Me. 😜
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,866
    HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

nico679 said:

The Pope calls out the Russian lies in his weekly address .

Whilst not religious in any way of all the recent Popes I remember he is by far the best .

He’s head and shoulders above the last two, that’s for sure.
    I see Justin Welby has recently interviewed Tony Blair too
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-60623502
    I've listened to that today. A really interesting conversation, especially about why he thought what he thought.

It's one of a series of half hour programmes called "Archbishop Interviews". The two others so far are with Susan Blackmore and Elif Shafak.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0014p3p/episodes/player

(As far as I have observed, I am currently the only one here with two ABCs in my avatar. Rowan Williams was also an excellent conversationalist.)

Nigelb said:

biggles said:

ydoethur said:

“Defence chief contradicts Liz Truss over idea of Britons going to fight in Ukraine
    Sir Tony Radakin says it would be unlawful for individuals to travel to offer military help”

Utter tosh. Liz Truss and the government is right on this, she speaks for the people on this. The people of Ukraine are fighting for FREEDOM and DEMOCRACY not just for Ukraine, but for the whole of Europe because that’s what President Putin is challenging. And they need real help, not just the rusted unusable junk everyone is praising Germany for sending over. Of course it is something the government in a liberal democracy should trust it’s people to make their own decisions about, they want us to believe in freedom and democracy and that it needs to be fought for or else you lose it don’t they?

Confused mixed messages from military (almost like they want it all over quick) unlike clear message from government. What a proper liberal country is all about isn’t it?

Whether something is popular and whether it is lawful are two different things.

For example, it would be very popular to whip Gavin Williamson naked through the streets of Aylesbury, but it would also be indecent exposure and therefore illegal.

In this case, I do not know whether British nationals are permitted to serve in foreign armies without official approval, but if they are not that might be the point he is making.
    That makes my point for me. If a naked Gavin Williamson is illegal, put a fig leaf on it and carry on whipping.

Going back to my boring original away from your delicious metaphor, UK head of armed forces says that despite knowing, as MarkyMarq pointed out, he knows his own troops are in Ukraine fighting for the right cause alongside trained troops from all over the world - so it’s unfair and naive to give Liz Truss and government stick over their “wink wink nudge nudge. GET OVER THERE” messaging.
    Please can we all agree not to conjure up images of a naked Gavin Williamson….
    Point of order! I put a fig leaf on it, so that’s no longer naked. Just cheeky…
    Incidentally! I did spend a bit of time trawl around the media finding something in support of Gavs K I could link here.

Couldn’t find anything.
    I though quite a few would be applauding.
    It finally and utterly discredits the honours system.
    I ❤️ The honours system.

I want to see Thomas Shelby get a knighthood, for services to industry and British ambition.
    For services to British defense industry . . . Sir Vladimir Putin
    NLAW is made in Belfast :smile:
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/mar/06/brazilian-politician-arthur-do-val-sexist-remarks-ukraine-refugees-outrage

'In one recording, the politician says: “I’ve just crossed the border on foot between Ukraine and Slovakia. Bro, I swear to you … I’ve never seen anything like it in terms of beautiful girls. The refugee queue … it’s like 200metres-long or more of just total goddesses … It’s some incredible shit … The queue outside Brazil’s best nightclub … doesn’t come close to the refugee queue here.”

In a second excerpt Do Val says: “Let me tell you, they’re easy because they’re poor.”'

But -

'Do Val, who returned to Brazil on Saturday to discover he had lost key allies and his girlfriend, apologised and sought to justify his words. After three days “without drinking water or having a shower” he claimed he had become “over-excited”.'
    HYUFD said:

I see Australia are giving a state funeral to Shane Warne. He was a great cricketer and seemed a personable guy . i am not sure I agree that's enough for a state funeral. Its a bit warped in values that promotes sport and celebrity above more meaningful contributions to life I guess .Sort of on the same lines as giving Gavin Williamson a knighthood.

In Australia sporting icons are at the top of the tree of those who give most meaningful contrubutions to life, so appropriate there he gets a state funeral. Even if we only reserve them for outstanding PMs, generals and admirals, scientists and major members of the royal family
    Yes, we're sports mad but we don't go overboard. Eg I doubt whether Ian Terence Botham, Baron Botham, Kt, OBE would get a state funeral.

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Me. 😜
    I expect you were better than your modesty allows.

If you were consistently losing your bank money you would have been fired long ago
  • bigglesbiggles Posts: 5,631
    edited March 2022
    stodge said:

biggles said:

Some of us would abolish local Government all together and provide identical services to all residents everywhere, with central government accountable for it…..

There's the thorny question of paying for it all - you'd have to increase Income Tax or VAT or add a Local Income Tax or Sales tax or whatever.

A more inventive solution would be to have individual households opt in or out to a range of services. If you want your refuse collected weekly, fine but if you manage with a fortnightly collection, you can take a discount on your Council Tax and get your rubbish collected less frequently.

National provision of some local services does happen - schools teach to a nationally-agreed curriculum, residential homes should operate to nationally-agreed standards. Building regulations apply nationally and there's far more co-operation between authorities providing services than you might imagine.

Local Government isn't just about services either - issues such as planning have a local dimension or would every application for a loft extension have to go to the National Planning Authority?
    Basically, yes (albeit obviously with permitted development rules etc). I don’t think politics comes in to how you collect the bills. One national policy, applied everywhere, and in so doing you would be able to compare results and address areas of poor quality officials.

Edit - To your other point I don’t think you can allow opting in or out as it makes throngs less efficient. Same service for everyone, using national contracts for proper economy of scale (e.g. rural bin collections would end up subsidised by urban areas). This would also, of course, remove the bonkers idea of localising business rates, or in effect channeling more money to Tory councils.
    edited March 2022
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

In Australia sporting icons are at the top of the tree of those who give most meaningful contrubutions to life, so appropriate there he gets a state funeral. Even if we only reserve them for outstanding PMs, generals and admirals, scientists and major members of the royal family
    Yes, we're sports mad but we don't go overboard. Eg I doubt whether Ian Terence Botham, Baron Botham, Kt, OBE would get a state funeral.
    He is in the Lords though, which the Aussies don't have.

Also while we like Sport it is not a near religion as it is in Australia. Australia doesn't have much history so its icons are often sports stars
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,303

Brazil gave Ayrton Senna a state funeral. Same thing. Half the country will turn out for it.
    HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Also while we like Sport it is not a near religion as it is in Australia. Australia doesn't have much history so its icons are often sports stars
    Australia has a lot more history than England! It was a settled country while England was a solid lump of ice, snow, and loess.
  • Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,590
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

And as the great Warnie himself said to Paul Collingwood: 'You’ve got an MBE, right? For scoring seven at The Oval? You’re an embarrassment.'
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Again, this is the State of Victoria, equivalent to a county funeral from Somerset.

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

And as the great Warnie himself said to Paul Collingwood: 'You’ve got an MBE, right? For scoring seven at The Oval? You’re an embarrassment.'
    More than Gavin Williamson has done….
    HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Yes, I guess a seat in the Lords is our equivalent of a state funeral. Better for the recipients, too, since they are very often still alive when they take their place there.
    HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

For the third and final time this is just his home state of Victoria, not a national state funeral, which not even Bradman got.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,738
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

biggles said:

ydoethur said:

“Defence chief contradicts Liz Truss over idea of Britons going to fight in Ukraine
    Sir Tony Radakin says it would be unlawful for individuals to travel to offer military help”

Utter tosh. Liz Truss and the government is right on this, she speaks for the people on this. The people of Ukraine are fighting for FREEDOM and DEMOCRACY not just for Ukraine, but for the whole of Europe because that’s what President Putin is challenging. And they need real help, not just the rusted unusable junk everyone is praising Germany for sending over. Of course it is something the government in a liberal democracy should trust it’s people to make their own decisions about, they want us to believe in freedom and democracy and that it needs to be fought for or else you lose it don’t they?

Confused mixed messages from military (almost like they want it all over quick) unlike clear message from government. What a proper liberal country is all about isn’t it?

For example, it would be very popular to whip Gavin Williamson naked through the streets of Aylesbury, but it would also be indecent exposure and therefore illegal.

In this case, I do not know whether British nationals are permitted to serve in foreign armies without official approval, but if they are not that might be the point he is making.
    That makes my point for me. If a naked Gavin Williamson is illegal, put a fig leaf on it and carry on whipping.

Going back to my boring original away from your delicious metaphor, UK head of armed forces says that despite knowing, as MarkyMarq pointed out, he knows his own troops are in Ukraine fighting for the right cause alongside trained troops from all over the world - so it’s unfair and naive to give Liz Truss and government stick over their “wink wink nudge nudge. GET OVER THERE” messaging.
    Incidentally! I did spend a bit of time trawl around the media finding something in support of Gavs K I could link here.

Couldn’t find anything.
    Nicky Morgan was worse than Williamson - astonishingly - and she actually got a peerage.
    But that was putting a tool in a functional position.
    As opposed to gold plating a useless tool.
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 8,268
    HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Oh no, you're not back on history, are you? Do desist.
    IshmaelZ said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Again, this is the State of Victoria, equivalent to a county funeral from Somerset.
    But he* was also offered a full State one by Morrison.

* His family were rather.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,603

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

biggles said:

ydoethur said:

Couldn’t find anything.
    Nicky Morgan was worse than Williamson - astonishingly - and she actually got a peerage.
    I never thought I'd read the words "worse than Williamson" in reference to a SoS for Education, least of all from one as well informed as your good self, but there you are. Are you absolutely sure?
    Yes. Equally, I'm a bit reluctant to go into details as to why.

Put it this way. Gavin Williamson is an incompetent, stupid knob who was grossly out of his depth.

Nicky Morgan was an incompetent, stupid and thoroughly malign knob who was not merely grossly out of her depth but if half of the things said about her are true ought to be explaining herself to a judge.
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Yes, I guess a seat in the Lords is our equivalent of a state funeral. Better for the recipients, too, since they are very often still alive when they take their place there.
    It's obviously no coincidence that the House of Lords is named after the home of cricket.
    Sandpit said:

Brazil gave Ayrton Senna a state funeral. Same thing. Half the country will turn out for it.
    Maradona kind of lay in state for a period.
    Aslan said:

Well, I know that I won't be stopping at Shell stations for petrol in the future:

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/03/06/shell-defends-decision-to-buy-discounted-oil-from-russia.html

It all seems rather trivial outrage, when eg Total has just decided to stay in:

https://www.ft.com/content/4adac2e1-0288-4eb0-a593-479c1815c864
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,226

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

At Goldman?

Speaking as an ex-Goldman person myself, Analyst to Associate was definitely not automatic. Indeed, 90% of analysts were on two year contracts and were expected to go to business school at the end of their spell. (Only a small number, buffs nails, got promoted directly to Associate.)

Things may have changed, of course. But that was how it was.
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

At Goldman?

Speaking as an ex-Goldman person myself, Analyst to Associate was definitely not automatic. Indeed, 90% of analysts were on two year contracts and were expected to go to business school at the end of their spell. (Only a small number, buffs nails, got promoted directly to Associate.)

Successful ones were Gold mans, others got the Sachs?
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

biggles said:

ydoethur said:

Couldn’t find anything.
    I never thought I'd read the words "worse than Williamson" in reference to a SoS for Education, least of all from one as well informed as your good self, but there you are. Are you absolutely sure?

Put it this way. Gavin Williamson is an incompetent, stupid knob who was grossly out of his depth.

Nicky Morgan was an incompetent, stupid and thoroughly malign knob who was not merely grossly out of her depth but if half of the things said about her are true ought to be explaining herself to a judge.
    I'm intrigued now. I was working in government/education at the time, but I don't recall any particularly scurrilous stuff about Morgan.
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 22,135
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

biggles said:

ydoethur said:

Couldn’t find anything.

You seem to be forgetting that it has been established the law is not applied retrospectively to Tory politicians.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,500
    That such c*ntery can exist in one spot in the world blows the mind. And that's only starting with the shoes.

• MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,715
    Russian aircraft, downed by manpads. Admit it, two weeks ago you thought they were for keeping old men dry all night.....

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

It's obviously no coincidence that the House of Lords is named after the home of cricket.
    You'd like where I live - we can almost see the ground. I try to go now and again each year for a day of a Middx county red ball game. Unfortunately (I guess because of the near zero crowds) these matches are now squeezed in either side of what you'd call proper summer.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,715

That such c*ntery can exist in one spot in the world blows the mind. And that's only starting with the shoes.

Nothing will ever grow again within 10 yards.....
    kinabalu said:

IshmaelZ said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Ah

And it seems the Don would have had one but specifically refused it (in advance obv)

Subject to those points I stand astonished at my own accuracy.

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

He got his reply iirc. That was the middle one of three Ashes Series won by England in a row with Collingwood playing, wasn'it it?
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,088
    kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

Maradona kind of lay in state for a period.
    Touched by the Hand of God
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,601
    edited March 2022
    There are some claims that the missiles that destroyed the airport at Vinnytsia were launched from Transnistria.

https://twitter.com/michaelh992/status/1500497019479154688
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 38,159
    edited March 2022
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

At Goldman?

I'm told the promotion to associate at Goldman has become easier in the last few years because they're now competing in the same pool of workers where they didn't used to and had a huge reputational advantage over their competitors. Though that's London. Not sure about New York. I'm also told that they're struggling to hold on to good people at the moment because huge swathes of London's banking industry is taking best practices from tech startups while Goldman seems to be clinging to Wall Street's worst. In an era where people are happy to work for a bit less money for an easier life Goldman doesn't seem to have adjusted.

There are some claims that the missiles that destroyed the airport at Vinnytsia were launched from Transnistria.

https://twitter.com/michaelh992/status/1500497019479154688

Moldovan territory under effective Russian control since 1992.

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

biggles said:

ydoethur said:

Couldn’t find anything.

I'm intrigued now. I was working in government/education at the time, but I don't recall any particularly scurrilous stuff about Morgan.
    Well, they may only be rumours, which is why I'm a bit wary of repeating them. She is so unpopular and was so useless it's easy to imagine people would make stuff up to explain her madder actions, and there were not a few of those.* One of them I think is probably true given who told it to me, but equally it's the least serious of them.

However, she was very grossly incompetent and arrogant, and there seems little doubt she was also a bully. Had she been in charge during Covid, I am in no doubt she would have made an even more epic mess of things than Williamson. Don't forget the exam system which was such a big part of the problem was set up on her watch, and Spielman's appointment was very much her decision, in the teeth of all advice and ordinary sanity.

And she has a peerage.

*Equally, many of the allegations made about the reasons for Gove's, ahem, eccentric behaviour seem to be standing up.
    IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

For the third and final time this is just his home state of Victoria, not a national state funeral, which not even Bradman got.
    About a quarter of the population of Australia live in Victoria, so close enough.

We don't have states or local governments outside maybe Scotland with anything like the power and influence Australian state governments have
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

At Goldman?

In the US that is still the case, although there are more direct promotes than there were. In Europe MBAs are exceptions not the rule these days.
    IshmaelZ said:

kinabalu said:

IshmaelZ said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Ah

And it seems the Don would have had one but specifically refused it (in advance obv)

On fire, Ishmael, on fire.
    https://twitter.com/JMPSimor/status/1500069530298691590

THIS IS AN EU COUNCIL MEETING.

The EU Council Extraordinary Foreign Affairs Council invited Liz Truss (and S/S Blinken) to join them. Despite that, the Foreign Secretary pretends the was the G7 or NATO. Graceless and diplomatically absolutely stupid.

Not having a good war.
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Australia has a lot more history than England! It was a settled country while England was a solid lump of ice, snow, and loess.
    It had some aborigines but not the level of development and population we had in the UK until really the 20th century
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551
    IanB2 said:

Harris: But the intended impression of resolve and determination does not quite hold up; indeed, an array of last-minute amendments shows how sensitive Johnson and his colleagues are to accusations of weakness and foot-dragging. Though the government has previously suggested that judicial restraints on its power ought to be swept away, it now insists that, for fear of legal action, any serious moves against certain Russian individuals may take months – even as France, Germany and Italy seize Putin associates’ yachts.

Late last year, Boris Johnson addressed a Global Investment Summit at the Science Museum in South Kensington, and when told that the people in the room represented $24tn of wealth, gushed: “I want to say to each and every one of those dollars: you are welcome to the UK and you have come to the right place at the right time.” Such was the cash-hungry mindset built into London’s branding for decades.

As all this played out, estate agents, private schools and luxury goods retailers made hay. Shamefully, lawyers took huge fees to go after investigative journalists who were set on revealing the worst aspects of what was going on. Donations to the Conservative party rolled in, and too many peers and MPs luxuriated in yet another connection to wealth and power. Now, many of the same people who allowed everything to happen suddenly tell us that the party has to end. Whether they are even halfway sincere is something that all of us – including ordinary Londoners, people long since priced out of the capital, and the kleptocrats nervously marking time behind their stucco facades and security gates – are about to find out.

Mr Johnson desires a new Royal Yacht! A vessel he and Carrie plan to take on trade missions to English Harbour and Monte Carlo.

Has Mr Johnson not twigged that there are dozens of free Super Yachts moored in the Solent to chose from? We could sequester a new Royal Yacht Britannia AND a Government Trade floating gin palace Boris McBoris Face to emblazon with Union flags.

Come on Mr Johnson, get a wiggle on. It's in your own best interests
    IshmaelZ said:

The EU Council Extraordinary Foreign Affairs Council invited Liz Truss (and S/S Blinken) to join them. Despite that, the Foreign Secretary pretends the was the G7 or NATO. Graceless and diplomatically absolutely stupid.

Not having a good war.

How could even Liz Truss think she was the whole of the G7 or NATO?

Or is there an 'at' missing?
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

You'd like where I live - we can almost see the ground. I try to go now and again each year for a day of a Middx county red ball game. Unfortunately (I guess because of the near zero crowds) these matches are now squeezed in either side of what you'd call proper summer.
    Sounds great - the nearest I lived to Lords was Swiss Cottage, back in the day. I resigned from my current county membership because of the lack of red-ball cricket in the summer months.
    edited March 2022
    IshmaelZ said:

Not having a good war.

Considering the US and UK had to be invited and they along with Turkey are 3 out of 4 of the largest NATO military powers, only France in the top 4 of EU nations, fair to say this was no standard EU Council meeting
  • NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758
    I'm wondering whether the Z insignia was Putin trolling the Ukrainians by referencing this film https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z_(1969_film) in particular the hopelessness of resistance to an autocratic and corrupt regime.
  • kinabalu said:

IshmaelZ said:

kinabalu said:

IshmaelZ said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Ah

On fire, Ishmael, on fire.
    Apparently Richie Benaud refused one too.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 43,003
    DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

Cicero said:

malcolmg said:

Before we talk about another Sindy referendum I think we should get clarity on the SNP's position with regards to Nato.

We will worry about all the small stuff once we are independent.
    Thats kind of why we won´t go independent. The lack of clarity on the "small" stuff. It is weak and its pretty stupid to fail to address critical policy areas and then say to the voters "trust us". So, keep this going Malc and then you can never win.
    It is only a matter of when , not if. The old codgers who are last remaining spineless unionists are popping their clogs fast. Anyone under 50 has only lived under the cosh and so when a decent politician is running the country and forces a referendum, it will be independence.
    Can you tell me why the Ukranian's do not want to be Russian's again.
    No apostrophes there, Malc. It's "Ukrainians" and "Russians" in this context, as you are denoting a number of people, rather than a posessive, which would mean something that belongs to a Ukranian or a Russian. You see, an apostrophe is usually used in the possessive form, like "Janet's family", "John's bicycle", "that Ukranian's car" or, using something you are familiar with, "Jobseeker's Allowance".

You also need a question mark (which looks like this "?") at the end of your last sentence. But we're all really proud of the great strides you're making. A cogent sentence is only a matter of time.
    Fuck off you sad git, your dolls are nissing you.

I'm wondering whether the Z insignia was Putin trolling the Ukrainians by referencing this film https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z_(1969_film) in particular the hopelessness of resistance to an autocratic and corrupt regime.

More likely to be a reference to World War Z, with the dead hand of the cadaverous Russian Empire reaching out fast and unstoppable to throttle the life out of Ukraine and make it as itself.

But he didn't realise the odds he was up against. Who needs Brad Pitt when you have the greatest leading man of them all in V. Zelensky?
    malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

Cicero said:

malcolmg said:

Before we talk about another Sindy referendum I think we should get clarity on the SNP's position with regards to Nato.

Thats kind of why we won´t go independent. The lack of clarity on the "small" stuff. It is weak and its pretty stupid to fail to address critical policy areas and then say to the voters "trust us". So, keep this going Malc and then you can never win.
    It is only a matter of when , not if. The old codgers who are last remaining spineless unionists are popping their clogs fast. Anyone under 50 has only lived under the cosh and so when a decent politician is running the country and forces a referendum, it will be independence.
    No apostrophes there, Malc. It's "Ukrainians" and "Russians" in this context, as you are denoting a number of people, rather than a posessive, which would mean something that belongs to a Ukranian or a Russian. You see, an apostrophe is usually used in the possessive form, like "Janet's family", "John's bicycle", "that Ukranian's car" or, using something you are familiar with, "Jobseeker's Allowance".

You also need a question mark (which looks like this "?") at the end of your last sentence. But we're all really proud of the great strides you're making. A cogent sentence is only a matter of time.
    Russian dolls?
  • state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,753

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Sounds great - the nearest I lived to Lords was Swiss Cottage, back in the day. I resigned from my current county membership because of the lack of red-ball cricket in the summer months.
    its the Hundred innit
    edited March 2022

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

I've just taken out county membership, and intend to piss off the ECB by attending lots of county matches this summer while ignoring their loss making Hundred bullshit.

Edit - incidentally, if you have resigned your membership it's surely not current?
    IshmaelZ said:

Not having a good war.

Was it the bit where she said “I’ve attended the European Council with the United States and Canada and Ukraine” that upset you?

She *also* met with NATO and G7 allies.
    ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

Not having a good war.

The tweet was a complete misrepresentation of Liz Truss’s statement by someone who I suspect (based on the few tweets I scrolled through) has a bit of a downer on the UK

This thread has just been sanctioned

• ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    edited March 2022
    IshmaelZ said:

Not having a good war.

I mean, I’m not a fan but I think her tweet is ok - she’d look a bit bonkers talking about her “EU allies” including Blinken.
    IshmaelZ said:

Aslan said:

Well, I know that I won't be stopping at Shell stations for petrol in the future:

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/03/06/shell-defends-decision-to-buy-discounted-oil-from-russia.html

You probably wouldn't if they hadn't done this, either, because there wouldn't be any. And they are screwing the Russians over the price and giving away the profit to Ukrainian relief.
    Still assisting the crapbags, no-one should spend a penny on anything Russian. Pretending it si going to charity does not cut the mustard.
    ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

Cicero said:

malcolmg said:

Russian dolls?
    More than likely with weasel boy
    ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

I've just taken out county membership, and intend to piss off the ECB by attending lots of county matches this summer while ignoring their loss making Hundred bullshit.

Edit - incidentally, if you have resigned your membership it's surely not current?
    Fair point, pedant. The trouble is that the vast majority of proper county games are in April, May and September - hardly anything at all in June-August.

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Fair point, pedant. The trouble is that the vast majority of proper county games are in April, May and September - hardly anything at all in June-August.
    Cheltenham Festival is in the summer holidays this year. Worth it just for that...
  • ClippPClippP Posts: 1,854
    HYUFD said:

Mike Penning, the Tory MP put in charge of Conservative candidate selection for the next general election and a former fireman, promises to seek out candidates who have 'traditional Tory values' and to remove 'closet Liberal Democrats'
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/03/05/conservative-partys-new-mp-selection-chief-promises-choose-people/

Who are these "closet Liberal Democrats" on the Conservative benches of whom you speak, young HY? I had not noticed any..... And I think we the public should be told.

Mind you, I seem to remember that not so long ago you were trying to persuade us here that ABDPJohnson was really a Liberal. Or am I misremembering?

Or is this just another cunning Tory plan to get rid of the bounder at long last?

• SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,257
    On Topic - Re: Redfield and Wilton phraseology, in addition to possible bias suggested by Mike, does that "the better Prime Minister for the United Kingdom" is also somewhat biased in favor of current PM & his party, in a way that "the better Prime Minister" period is not?
    ClippP said:

HYUFD said:

Mike Penning, the Tory MP put in charge of Conservative candidate selection for the next general election and a former fireman, promises to seek out candidates who have 'traditional Tory values' and to remove 'closet Liberal Democrats'
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/03/05/conservative-partys-new-mp-selection-chief-promises-choose-people/

Who are these "closet Liberal Democrats" on the Conservative benches of whom you speak, young HY? I had not noticed any..... And I think we the public should be told.

Mind you, I seem to remember that not so long ago you were trying to persuade us here that ABDPJohnson was really a Liberal. Or am I misremembering?

Or is this just another cunning Tory plan to get rid of the bounder at long last?

1648 - Pride's Purge

202? - Penning's Purge?

IshmaelZ said:

State of Victoria, not state state.
    Yet again, federalism baffles Britons?
    edited March 2022
    ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

The main content of the tweet is a video from Liz Truss which starts: "I am in Brussels today. I've met NATO. I've met the G7. I've attended the European Council with the United States, and Canada, and Ukraine.

The claim by Simor is exaggerated (surprised - she retweeted the Comical Dave graph the other day to 150k people?).

There was a G7 Foreign Ministers meeting, and a NATO Foreign Ministers meeting, which Simcor pretends did not happen.

It's a pity that people swallow this guff.

The only thing there is that Truss did not put the European Council in her tweet.

But then, UVDL left the UK out of her discussion of "our allies" in her latest "State of the European Union" speech.

The amount of this stuff around at the moment makes me think there is another embarrassment they are trying to distract from.

Generating fake Eurogubbing narratives will continue, whilst there is still some work to be done on the relationship over the next year or two.
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,527
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

It had some aborigines but not the level of development and population we had in the UK until really the 20th century
    "It had some aborigines". Quote of the decade. If not the century.
This discussion has been closed.