Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

How different pollsters ask the “best PM” question – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 93,726
    edited March 2022
    Andy_JS said:

"Obsessed? Frightened? Wakeful? War in Ukraine sparks return of doomscrolling
    As happened with Covid, the compulsive need to keep up with the Russian invasion is taking a toll on our mental health"

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2022/mar/06/obsessed-frightened-wakeful-war-in-ukraine-sparks-return-of-doomscrolling

It's a fair point. In the first months of Covid obsessing over comparitive stats was draining. Here's hoping for some truly stupid news to give us an opportunity to laugh.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,776
    Sandpit said:

Here is an example of what the Russian propoganda machine is up to at home.

Russian news site Avia.pro reports that:
    “Ukranian “Azov” terrorists blasted residential building in Mariopol, 200 people under the ruins.”

There was no Azov terrorist attack in Mariopol yesterday. The picture is actually of School No.25 in Zhytomyr, several hundred kilometers away, hit by a Russian rocket 48 hours ago. The same rocket that means I need to buy new windows for my house!

(Azov are a “Ukranian Nationalist terrrorist group”, which does exist, mostly attacking Russian soldiers that have been in Ukraine since 2014, but exists a lot in Russian reporting of what’s going on at the moment).

Sorry to be a ppita, and you’re not the only one who does it, but it’s propaganda.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,699

Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

Morning all! I posted the Times splash on Boris being a security risk when they tweeted it - massive. Having scanned the overnight thread it seems to be desperately ignored by some of you

Remember that after Russia poisoned the Skripals with a WMD on British soil, Big Dog skipped security briefings to meet Lebedev senior the KGB man. And then ignores security concerns about ennobling Lebedev junior who gets all his money from his dad the KGB man. Who gets the security services *to withdraw* their problematic concerns about Lebedev junior.

This is the problem. The Tories can't act properly against Russia because they shill for Russia. The press reposts how the Tories are "delighted" with the Ukraine was as being a great opportunity to move on from problems and portray the PM as Thatcher. "Delighted"?

How many anti tank weapons do we actually have to supply before you give up on this nonsense? Our government has been vigorous in supporting Ukraine and done as much as most to cause them problems. Such polling as is available from Ukraine itself supports this. The pressure put on BP is another good example. If our government was bought by the Russians they are getting less for their money than they are in Ukraine. Its just nonsense.
    The Ukranians rate British assistance highly, and their opinion is the one that matters.

It's OK for Boris Johnson to be corrupt because the UK is supplying Ukraine with valuable military support is quite a take!

We will do our own housekeeping - but not until the war in Ukraine is resolved.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 52,097

Dr. Prasannan, don't give Mad Vlad ideas.

Mr. L, if it's very close, the stewards will have their hands full this season.

I put up with officious bureaucrats of varying degrees of competence and consistency making decisions for a living. I am not really interested in doing the same with my time off.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,193
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

Morning all! I posted the Times splash on Boris being a security risk when they tweeted it - massive. Having scanned the overnight thread it seems to be desperately ignored by some of you

Remember that after Russia poisoned the Skripals with a WMD on British soil, Big Dog skipped security briefings to meet Lebedev senior the KGB man. And then ignores security concerns about ennobling Lebedev junior who gets all his money from his dad the KGB man. Who gets the security services *to withdraw* their problematic concerns about Lebedev junior.

This is the problem. The Tories can't act properly against Russia because they shill for Russia. The press reposts how the Tories are "delighted" with the Ukraine was as being a great opportunity to move on from problems and portray the PM as Thatcher. "Delighted"?

How many anti tank weapons do we actually have to supply before you give up on this nonsense? Our government has been vigorous in supporting Ukraine and done as much as most to cause them problems. Such polling as is available from Ukraine itself supports this. The pressure put on BP is another good example. If our government was bought by the Russians they are getting less for their money than they are in Ukraine. Its just nonsense.
    The Ukranians rate British assistance highly, and their opinion is the one that matters.

It's OK for Boris Johnson to be corrupt because the UK is supplying Ukraine with valuable military support is quite a take!

We all know that he's corrupt and a charlatan. But, when it comes to the Ukraine, the government has done a good job.

The government has done a good job on some fronts. On others it has done very poorly.

Tolerance of corruption leads to more corruption. That's how it becomes endemic. And once it is endemic democracy effectively ceases to function.

• Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,777

Eabhal said:

eek said:

IanB2 said:

Christo Grozev linked to an alleged letter from an FSB insider on the Ukraine war, and without commenting on authenticity, it's a very interesting read. I translated and lightly edited it. Starts with a bit of whimper on agri policy, but it sure picks up.

https://twitter.com/mwr_dbm/status/1500317789390876672

In another thread the conclusion is “quite probably real, or if not a better fake than we’ve seen before” (the longer the fake, the greater the chance for mistakes - this one is long)

Literally just came here to post the same letter, though in an alternate translation:

https://twitter.com/igorsushko/status/1500301348780199937
    A pertinent point is that the logistics - and specifically the roads - cannot cope with the size of convoys that would be needed to supply the size of force that Russia would need to deploy inside Ukraine to achieve its objectives.
    Suggests that having a modern, efficient road system may not be a strategic advantage in Eastern Europe.
    The issue with the roads is that one very burnt out tank takes a lot of road out - and it’s one of many things Russia isn’t in a position to fix as the supplies aren’t there
    Sure, but having several well paved dual carriageways with hard shoulders leading to your largest city would make a difference. Not that it’s relevant except in HYUFD’s fever dreams but Glasgow has around five (though some may argue with well paved).
    You'd only have to knock out the M74 though. The Army wouldn't go up the east coast because they'd be worried about the Tyne tunnel penalty charge
    I fear that you’re dismissing the Faslane beachhead and the loyalist Edinburgh enclave far too easily.
    Don't give him ideas.

Having said that, the Moray coast was apparently a potential Op Sea Lion target, littered with beach defenses. You'd have to garrison those, too.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 16,689
    Andy_JS said:

3,000 Americans have apparently volunteered to fight in Ukraine according to the BBC.

I wonder how many foreign volunteers you'd need to make a significant difference on the ground. 10,000 maybe?

Depends entirely on how much prior training/experience they have, and whether they have some good retired officers to lead them.
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,354

How is "at this moment" any different to asking "if there were a general election today"?

the likelihood of respondent considering a tactical vote.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

That’s because 90% of the country doesn’t have to live under her regime.
    That would be more persuasive if it were not for the fact that Scots agree with the other islanders:

Net favourability

Sturgeon 13%
    Scottish Government 7%
    Anas Sarwar 1%
    Keir Starmer -10
    Patrick Harvie -15
    Alex Cole-Hamilton -15
    Lorna Slater -15
    Rishi Sunak -19
    Douglas Ross -21
    UK Government -50
    Alex Salmond -62
    Boris Johnson -62

(Savanta ComRes/The Scotsman; 14-18 January; 1,004)
    You have to take into account Scottish voters being brainwashed by virulently pro SNP broadcasters and press though.
    I thought it was those devils in the schools programming the youth?
    All organs of the state and society are of course in the service of the SNP, as they should be in any well run totalitarian nation.
    Indeed. The only thing that can save us is their utter and complete incompetence.

So I remain quite sanguine.
    They’re utterly and completely incompetent.

What’s the alternative?

Ah, ok, fair enough.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,436
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

We all know that he's corrupt and a charlatan. But, when it comes to the Ukraine, the government has done a good job.
    Not so good on actual support for refugees, apparently.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

The government has done a good job on some fronts. On others it has done very poorly.

Tolerance of corruption leads to more corruption. That's how it becomes endemic. And once it is endemic democracy effectively ceases to function.

Do it in a small way or for a 'good' reason and it spirals. Zero tolerance. It's why petty shit around the expenses scandal were still important, why the attempt to excuse Paterson for what he did (or claim his personal tragedy meant it should be ignored) was so bad.
  • Options
    ClippP said:

DavidL said:

The PM overruled the security services to give a peerage to someone who has shown him any number of personal financial favours. That does not mean that he was bought by the Russians, just by Lebedev.
    I would much prefer it if we had a prime minister who had not been bought by anybody. You know, one whose first loyalty was to the British people.....
    What, not their party members? Controversial view.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 64,691
    Omnium said:

In search of diverse information streams, I'm keeping an eye on Interfax, which is quite obviously pro-Russian with a business slant - e.g. news of a new China-backed credit card to replace Mastercard. And, just to confirm the impression that Putin is deeply dependent on oligarchs, is an announcement that economic crime will no longer be a criminal offence:

https://interfax.com/newsroom/top-stories/75694/

Also interesting: a Russian poll suggesting that support for the war is growing (deep scepticism is appropriate for all the obvious reasons), but the only reason for it that has significant support is "stopping NATO deploying bases in Ukraine" - even if the poll is entirely rigged, it's significant that that's the key issue in their eyes, rather than support for the mini-republics or denazification (both score under 20%). That suggests that a deal where Ukraine commits not to join NATO may be something Putin could sell back home.

https://interfax.com/newsroom/top-stories/75711/

I've been keeping an eye on Chinese and Indian news services (in English) too. The Chinese seem to have lessened their covarage, and are upset at allegations that they connived in the launch date of Putin's war. Whether true or not that seems to have been a mis-step from the US. The Indians seem to be presenting much of the destruction, but also presenting Russia's claims of precision strikes.
    Why would that be a US misstep - as it’s probably true, why pretended it’s not ?

Over observance of the diplomatic niceties towards totalitarian regimes over the years is quite possibly one of the things which encouraged Putin’s desperate gamble.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,163
    Mr. L, I can appreciate that. If I followed two sports and F1 were the secondary there's every chance I'd be losing interest.

Although, the sprint race nonsense is putting me off even more than the Abu Dhabi daftness.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 21,099
    Andy_JS said:

3,000 Americans have apparently volunteered to fight in Ukraine according to the BBC.

I wonder how many foreign volunteers you'd need to make a significant difference on the ground. 10,000 maybe?

Bearing in mind Trump and the right wing, can we be sure which side they will fight on?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

And he's done a *great job* for all the Russian money still sloshing about in London unthreatened by proper sanctions.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 12,247
    Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

eek said:

IanB2 said:

Christo Grozev linked to an alleged letter from an FSB insider on the Ukraine war, and without commenting on authenticity, it's a very interesting read. I translated and lightly edited it. Starts with a bit of whimper on agri policy, but it sure picks up.

In another thread the conclusion is “quite probably real, or if not a better fake than we’ve seen before” (the longer the fake, the greater the chance for mistakes - this one is long)

Literally just came here to post the same letter, though in an alternate translation:

A pertinent point is that the logistics - and specifically the roads - cannot cope with the size of convoys that would be needed to supply the size of force that Russia would need to deploy inside Ukraine to achieve its objectives.
    Suggests that having a modern, efficient road system may not be a strategic advantage in Eastern Europe.
    The issue with the roads is that one very burnt out tank takes a lot of road out - and it’s one of many things Russia isn’t in a position to fix as the supplies aren’t there
    Sure, but having several well paved dual carriageways with hard shoulders leading to your largest city would make a difference. Not that it’s relevant except in HYUFD’s fever dreams but Glasgow has around five (though some may argue with well paved).
    You'd only have to knock out the M74 though. The Army wouldn't go up the east coast because they'd be worried about the Tyne tunnel penalty charge
    I fear that you’re dismissing the Faslane beachhead and the loyalist Edinburgh enclave far too easily.
    Don't give him ideas.

Having said that, the Moray coast was apparently a potential Op Sea Lion target, littered with beach defenses. You'd have to garrison those, too.
    All the way round the Aberdeenshire coast too. Inverbervie, Newburgh, Cruden Bay, Peterhead.
  • Options

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

That would be more persuasive if it were not for the fact that Scots agree with the other islanders:

Net favourability

Sturgeon 13%
    Scottish Government 7%
    Anas Sarwar 1%
    Keir Starmer -10
    Patrick Harvie -15
    Alex Cole-Hamilton -15
    Lorna Slater -15
    Rishi Sunak -19
    Douglas Ross -21
    UK Government -50
    Alex Salmond -62
    Boris Johnson -62

You have to take into account Scottish voters being brainwashed by virulently pro SNP broadcasters and press though.
    All organs of the state and society are of course in the service of the SNP, as they should be in any well run totalitarian nation.
    Indeed. The only thing that can save us is their utter and complete incompetence.

What’s the alternative?

Ah, ok, fair enough.
    Its not a happy situation is it? Poor Scotland.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 15,388
    ClippP said:

DavidL said:

The PM overruled the security services to give a peerage to someone who has shown him any number of personal financial favours. That does not mean that he was bought by the Russians, just by Lebedev.
    I would much prefer it if we had a prime minister who had not been bought by anybody. You know, one whose first loyalty was to the British people.....
    We know where Boris's first loyalty goes, and his second, third and fourth.

Boris.

In some situations, that's a benefit- he can't be bought, since that requires consistency and loyalty. I really doubt we're in a Harold Wilson Mad Rumours scenario.

In terms of public opinion, Boris's good crisis hasn't helped him that much in the polls yet. That might change, or it might be that the public just don't trust him any more.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 50,099
    Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

This earlier story by @openDemocracy is worth re-reading in light of @thesundaytimes revelations on the Lebedev/Johnson link... https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/opendemocracyuk/revealed-boris-russian-oligarch-and-page-3-model/

It would be deserved karma that having escaped his just punishment for his lockdown excesses, his earlier excesses with the Russians should bring his downfall.

Boris Johnson is lucky. He's having a good war.
    A good Special Military Operation :lol:
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Here is an example of what the Russian propoganda machine is up to at home.

Russian news site Avia.pro reports that:
    “Ukranian “Azov” terrorists blasted residential building in Mariopol, 200 people under the ruins.”

There was no Azov terrorist attack in Mariopol yesterday. The picture is actually of School No.25 in Zhytomyr, several hundred kilometers away, hit by a Russian rocket 48 hours ago. The same rocket that means I need to buy new windows for my house!

(Azov are a “Ukranian Nationalist terrrorist group”, which does exist, mostly attacking Russian soldiers that have been in Ukraine since 2014, but exists a lot in Russian reporting of what’s going on at the moment).

Recall it was “Chechen terrorist bombings” which brought Putin to power.
    Though there was a slim possibility those were real.
  • Options
    spudgfshspudgfsh Posts: 1,400
    Andy_JS said:

As happened with Covid, the compulsive need to keep up with the Russian invasion is taking a toll on our mental health"

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2022/mar/06/obsessed-frightened-wakeful-war-in-ukraine-sparks-return-of-doomscrolling

That's why I'm limiting my news intake to once a day.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 118,359
    The reason I would suggest OGH dislikes the RedfieldWilton question is it finds Johnson tied on who would be best PM with Starmer
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,987
    Nigelb said:

Omnium said:

In search of diverse information streams, I'm keeping an eye on Interfax, which is quite obviously pro-Russian with a business slant - e.g. news of a new China-backed credit card to replace Mastercard. And, just to confirm the impression that Putin is deeply dependent on oligarchs, is an announcement that economic crime will no longer be a criminal offence:

Also interesting: a Russian poll suggesting that support for the war is growing (deep scepticism is appropriate for all the obvious reasons), but the only reason for it that has significant support is "stopping NATO deploying bases in Ukraine" - even if the poll is entirely rigged, it's significant that that's the key issue in their eyes, rather than support for the mini-republics or denazification (both score under 20%). That suggests that a deal where Ukraine commits not to join NATO may be something Putin could sell back home.

I've been keeping an eye on Chinese and Indian news services (in English) too. The Chinese seem to have lessened their covarage, and are upset at allegations that they connived in the launch date of Putin's war. Whether true or not that seems to have been a mis-step from the US. The Indians seem to be presenting much of the destruction, but also presenting Russia's claims of precision strikes.
    Why would that be a US misstep - as it’s probably true, why pretended it’s not ?

Over observance of the diplomatic niceties towards totalitarian regimes over the years is quite possibly one of the things which encouraged Putin’s desperate gamble.
    Well, firstly it gains nothing.

Secondly it's very difficult to judge degree in what might have been done. I think it's entirely plausible that the Chinese specifically said to Putin that they'd be annoyed if he caused a distraction from the Olympics. But they could have said that without any knowledge at all of what his plans were.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

The reason I would suggest OGH dislikes the RedfieldWilton question is it finds Johnson tied on who would be best PM with Starmer

Not everyone is a cynically partisan as you
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,600
    edited March 2022

You should tell the Russians that, they are literally saying that the UK is the lead for sanctions.

This was reported by the BBC yesterday.

Russia's foreign ministry has released a statement taking direct aim at the British government for its support of Ukraine.

Maria Zakharova, the foreign ministry spokesperson, says Russia won't forget the UK's cooperation with Kyiv, or with what she calls the "ultra-nationalist forces of Ukraine", according Russian media.

"The sanctions hysteria in which London plays one of the leading, if not the main, roles, leaves us no choice but to take proportionately tough retaliatory measures," she said, adding that British interests in Russia would be "undermined" by Moscow's response.

The official narrative in Russia is that the threat to civilians in Ukraine comes not from Russian forces, but from "Ukrainian nationalists".

The UK government has provided weapons and financial aid to Ukraine amid the invasion.

Hating Boris is fine, lots of us do, but you are still talking rubbish.
  • Options
    How you can tell it’s a Russian war of aggression…
    They’re even targeting Olympic facilities.
    https://twitter.com/EuromaidanPress/status/1500307867974385664
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,416

Good morning, everyone.

Mr. Divvie, I'm reminded of reading about differing rail gauges slowing logistical progress from that direction in WWII.

Of course, Stalin's drive for Berlin was greatly aided by American credulity for his claims the city didn't really matter.

Mr Dancer, when he captured Berlin, Stalin reportedly commented "But Tsar Alexander made it all the way to Paris!"
    That would be typical of Stalin's sense of humour.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

eek said:

IanB2 said:

Don't give him ideas.

All the way round the Aberdeenshire coast too. Inverbervie, Newburgh, Cruden Bay, Peterhead.
    Were they expecting Scot Nat support?
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

eek said:

IanB2 said:

Don't give him ideas.

I think the building of defences all up the east coast was pretty reflexive and may also have been calculated to have been good for morale. With hindsight the idea that an amphibious assault could have been launched across the North Sea seems pretty crazy.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    ClippP said:

DavidL said:

We have a Prime Minister who was given the biggest mandate by the British people in 2019 since Blair in 2001 actually.

• Options
    kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

It's a fair point. In the first months of Covid obsessing over comparitive stats was draining. Here's hoping for some truly stupid news to give us an opportunity to laugh.
    I see that the Threads bombing scene on Youtube has received tens of thousands of hits over the past fortnight.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 48,217
    HYUFD said:

...says the man whose choice of statistic is always based 100% on outcome and 0% on methodology
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 50,099
    HYUFD said:

ClippP said:

DavidL said:

We have a Prime Minister who was given the biggest mandate by the British people in 2019 since Blair in 2001 actually.

56.4% of voters did NOT vote Tory.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Nigelb said:

Omnium said:

Secondly it's very difficult to judge degree in what might have been done. I think it's entirely plausible that the Chinese specifically said to Putin that they'd be annoyed if he caused a distraction from the Olympics. But they could have said that without any knowledge at all of what his plans were.
    I read an article / comment that China had bought much more than usual quantities of US soya production before the Ukraine incursion. They must have known what the Russians were planning.
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

Mr. Divvie, I'm reminded of reading about differing rail gauges slowing logistical progress from that direction in WWII.

It's why "We'd have won the war but for that lunatic Hitler" argument that German generals made after WWII was bullcrap. The generals shared Hitler's underestimation of the logistical difficulties of invading Russia, and the Russian capacity for resistance.
  • Options
    Mr. F, not read much, but might Guderian's plan have worked to win in Russia?
  • Options
    edited March 2022

HYUFD said:

ClippP said:

DavidL said:

No Prime Minister has seen over 50% of voters vote for their government since Baldwin in 1935 (if you exclude Cameron in 2010 as voters did not know there would be a Tory-LD coalition until after polling day). So what? We elect our PMs and governments by FPTP not PR
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

Net favourability

Sturgeon 13%
    Scottish Government 7%
    Anas Sarwar 1%
    Keir Starmer -10
    Patrick Harvie -15
    Alex Cole-Hamilton -15
    Lorna Slater -15
    Rishi Sunak -19
    Douglas Ross -21
    UK Government -50
    Alex Salmond -62
    Boris Johnson -62

What’s the alternative?

Ah, ok, fair enough.
    Perhaps Unionists should do *a lot* more in providing an alternative prospectus? Of course being in the position of having policies vicariously implemented without the ghastly inconvenience of getting voters to support them makes you lazy.
  • Options
    glw said:

You should tell the Russians that, they are literally saying that the UK is the lead for sanctions.

Russia's foreign ministry has released a statement taking direct aim at the British government for its support of Ukraine.

Maria Zakharova, the foreign ministry spokesperson, says Russia won't forget the UK's cooperation with Kyiv, or with what she calls the "ultra-nationalist forces of Ukraine", according Russian media.

"The sanctions hysteria in which London plays one of the leading, if not the main, roles, leaves us no choice but to take proportionately tough retaliatory measures," she said, adding that British interests in Russia would be "undermined" by Moscow's response.

The official narrative in Russia is that the threat to civilians in Ukraine comes not from Russian forces, but from "Ukrainian nationalists".

The UK government has provided weapons and financial aid to Ukraine amid the invasion.

Well of course they are! The British sanctions are heaviest in the world! So you don't need to tighten them any more....

BTW, it is the *security services* whose opinion matters, not mine. I am reporting what the Sunday Times say that the *security services* are saying.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Nigelb said:

Omnium said:

Given everyone in the world was talking about it before the Olympics started, that seems deeply implausible.
    As for ‘gaining nothing’, see my first point.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,049
    "Putin proves my point. Whatever it is."

https://www.ft.com/content/6ea18680-0f46-4af1-a3f1-d92d2daaae15
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 46,109

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

It is a difficult reverse ferret:

2015: refugees f*** off!
    2016: East Europeans f*** off!
    2019: East Europeans f*** off again!
    2021: refugees f*** off again!

2022: East European refugees: ????
  • Options

Aberdeenshire is not what you'd call a hotbed of Scottish nationalism.

I think the building of defences all up the east coast was pretty reflexive and may also have been calculated to have been good for morale. With hindsight the idea that an amphibious assault could have been launched across the North Sea seems pretty crazy.

The North Sea can certainly be treacherous, but a quick look at the geography of Aberdeenshire and it's quickly apparent that it's a good place to establish a beachhead. Good terrain for tanks, and it would have needed the British defences to look in two directions at once. If your planes are trying to bomb Panzers in Aberdeenshire, they are a long way away from bombing targets in Normandy. I honestly can't think of a better place to start an invasion of Britain.
    Napoleon liked fighting from the middle, but mostly you don't want to be in the middle of a pincer.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,987

Omnium said:

Nigelb said:

Omnium said:

I read an article / comment that China had bought much more than usual quantities of US soya production before the Ukraine incursion. They must have known what the Russians were planning.
    My guess is they had some foreknowledge too, but I'm not sure, and unless sure I don't think it was a wise step to make the allegation.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    R&W are grammatically correct, it's better of two not best of two, and what else matters?

BMG also avoid this trap but have who for whom.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

ClippP said:

DavidL said:

Doesn't prevent him being a crook.

You can, after all, famously, fool some of the people all of the time. And Johnson didn't fool most of us.
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,586
    edited March 2022
    Nigelb said:

Omnium said:

Nigelb said:

Omnium said:

Given everyone in the world was talking about it before the Olympics started, that seems deeply implausible.
    On this I am not sure anything needed to be explicitly said by either Russia or China- it woudl have been obvious to Putin to think it would upset the chinese and probably obvious to China he would know that and delay. After all we discuss all kinds of weird strategic chit on here which is a lot more deeper than that so fail to see how its anything other than not needed to be discussed becasue its obvious type of issue. Its one thing for speculation on Twitter and here of some deal but typical of loud mouth US to say this just because-- not helpful either
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,801
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

ClippP said:

DavidL said:

No Prime Minister has seen over 50% of voters vote for their government since Baldwin in 1935. So what? We elect our PMs and governments by FPTP not PR
    So no prime minister has been a national leader since 1935 then? Apart from coalition ones, of course. Perhaps.

Small wonder the country has gone steadily downhill since the war...... We need a national leader now, young HY. The best you Tories can come up with is Johnson.
  • Options
    glw said:

"The sanctions hysteria in which London plays one of the leading, if not the main, roles" is about rhetoric, not actual sanctions. You seem to be assuming that everything the PM says is entirely congruent with the facts
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Farooq said:

The North Sea can certainly be treacherous, but a quick look at the geography of Aberdeenshire and it's quickly apparent that it's a good place to establish a beachhead. Good terrain for tanks, and it would have needed the British defences to look in two directions at once. If your planes are trying to bomb Panzers in Aberdeenshire, they are a long way away from bombing targets in Normandy. I honestly can't think of a better place to start an invasion of Britain.
    Napoleon liked fighting from the middle, but mostly you don't want to be in the middle of a pincer.
    The last time mainland Britain was invaded from two directions at once one invasion failed, the other succeeded.
    With the benefit of a view from 1000 years later, it might have been better for the citizenry if the results had been reversed.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

But we're LEADING THE WORLD in still refusing Ukranians the ability to seek freely refuge here.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

Net favourability

Sturgeon 13%
    Scottish Government 7%
    Anas Sarwar 1%
    Keir Starmer -10
    Patrick Harvie -15
    Alex Cole-Hamilton -15
    Lorna Slater -15
    Rishi Sunak -19
    Douglas Ross -21
    UK Government -50
    Alex Salmond -62
    Boris Johnson -62

What’s the alternative?

Ah, ok, fair enough.
    Perhaps Unionists should do *a lot* more in providing an alternative prospectus? Of course being in the position of having policies vicariously implemented without the ghastly inconvenience of getting voters to support them makes you lazy.
    For once we are in agreement Divvie. No second referendum is not a platform for government. Scotland badly needs a real choice and they are not really being offered one by any of the Unionist parties. What we get is a critique from the sidelines (which is easy enough) but no thought through alternatives.

How do we recover education from its current morass?

What are our priorities in healthcare?

What do we do (beyond what the Lord Advocate has bravely done) to reduce drug deaths?

Above all, how does a Scottish economy thrive in a country where the talent, money, investment and skills are inexorably sucked into London?

I am not seeing many answers from anyone. It's depressing.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

R&W are grammatically correct, it's better of two not best of two, and what else matters?

BMG also AVOIDS, not avoid.
  • Options
    Some evidence of how Putin was thinking about the was the invasion would go.
    A destroyed/abandoned Rosgvardia column in Kharkiv with OMON riot gear.
    https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1500240859492757506
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,662

Omnium said:

Nigelb said:

Omnium said:

My view is they knew they were planning summat. So did we. I don't think that's proof they knew exactly what. They didn't tell their citizens in Kyiv to get out for instance.
    Nor did they pass comment for nearly 48 hours ISTR.
    Suggests they were blindsided by the sheer scale of the invasion, and hadn't come up with an agreed line.
  • Options
    King Cole, it's a fascinating counterfactual to consider.

Prior to the Norman Conquest, the leading external cultural influence on the British Isles was Viking.

Also, from a French perspective, would a seriously weakened Normandy have allowed for more rapid expansion of the tiny realm the king of France held at this time, or weakened the monarchy even more? Would another Norse leader have sought the French throne?
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,456

Nigelb said:

Omnium said:

Nigelb said:

Omnium said:

On this I am not sure anything needed to be explicitly said by either Russia or China- it woudl have been obvious to Putin to think it would upset the chinese and probably obvious to China he would know that and delay. After all we discuss all kinds of weird strategic chit on here which is a lot more deeper than that so fail to see how its anything other than not needed to be discussed becasue its obvious type of issue. Its one thing for speculation on Twitter and here of some deal but typical of loud mouth US to say this just because-- not helpful either
    But China helped Ukraine. By ensuring that the Russian invasion was delayed until after the Olympics the mud became more of an issue at the start.
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,827
    Andy_JS said:

Well probably.
    But I think with good reason. At the start of Covid, I was genuinely worried. Was it just going to be a minor sniffle (that seemed unlikely) or was it going to be The Stand?
    Likewise a week ago, was this just going to be the Football war (and that seems unlikely now) or is it going to be Threads?
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Ah, but that's only a recent switch.

The genius of the SNP was going from a rural party - "Tartan Tories" - to what we have today.

There are some Tory attack lines that mirror the levelling up agenda. Not dualling the A96, not noticing the big storm in Aberdeenshire and so on. Central belt v RoS.
  • Options

King Cole, it's a fascinating counterfactual to consider.

Prior to the Norman Conquest, the leading external cultural influence on the British Isles was Viking.

Also, from a French perspective, would a seriously weakened Normandy have allowed for more rapid expansion of the tiny realm the king of France held at this time, or weakened the monarchy even more? Would another Norse leader have sought the French throne?

I attended a WEA Zoom on that very subject fairly early in the pandemic. Consensus was that England would have been more Scandinavian and it was doubtful whether it would have been so aggressive towards Wales and Ireland.
    We didn't spend a lot of time on the effect on what is now France.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:
    Uncanny. PB lurker, nailed on.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,306
    edited March 2022
    On topic, I hope that any pollsters using 'best' rather than 'better' in their question offer more than two options.

Edit - I see I'm late to the party.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

But we're LEADING THE WORLD in still refusing Ukranians the ability to seek freely refuge here.
    As an example. LEADING THE WORLD. Now f**k off again filthy forrin refugees! https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1500395176090607617
  • Options
    King Cole, possibly, although the Vikings did set up multiple slave market cities in Ireland and someone might have sought to unify them.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,597
    Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

You're missing out the 2,500 Hong Kongers that we are welcoming every week. Don't they count?
  • Options
    Farooq said:

IshmaelZ said:

My usage is ok in English English: my bank send me a statement once a month. Not in US English, apparently.
  • Options

King Cole, possibly, although the Vikings did set up multiple slave market cities in Ireland and someone might have sought to unify them.

I've been playing Thrones of Britannia and tried to do just that, and it ain't easy I can tell you (I'm not good at strategy games, and it's definitely started taking pointers from Crusader Kings).
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,175
    I wonder if Zelenskyy would accept a deal that gives Russia a land corridor to Crimea in exchange for pulling all other Russian troops out of the country? Would allow Putin to save face. Effectively an extension of the occupation that would not be recognised by the international community.

We would make promises to Zelenskyy that sanctions will stay on Russia until they withdraw from Ukraine completely. That we will not unfreeze Russian foreign reserves unless they pay for the restoration of Kharkiv, Lukansk, Donetsk and Mariupol.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 61,058
    edited March 2022
    A really important interview by Sophie Raworth on BBC with Admiral Sir Tony Radakin, Chief of Defence Staff.

I believe everyone on this forum would be well advised to watch the interview on playback, and be re-assured as much as I have been by his professionalism
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

Net favourability

Sturgeon 13%
    Scottish Government 7%
    Anas Sarwar 1%
    Keir Starmer -10
    Patrick Harvie -15
    Alex Cole-Hamilton -15
    Lorna Slater -15
    Rishi Sunak -19
    Douglas Ross -21
    UK Government -50
    Alex Salmond -62
    Boris Johnson -62

What’s the alternative?

Ah, ok, fair enough.
    For once we are in agreement Divvie. No second referendum is not a platform for government. Scotland badly needs a real choice and they are not really being offered one by any of the Unionist parties. What we get is a critique from the sidelines (which is easy enough) but no thought through alternatives.

What do we do (beyond what the Lord Advocate has bravely done) to reduce drug deaths?

Above all, how does a Scottish economy thrive in a country where the talent, money, investment and skills are inexorably sucked into London?

I'm coming round to just getting a second referendum out the way.

Remain = it's settled, we can have normal political debate again and we get inward investment.

Leave = a deeply entertaining battle with Westminster which is similar to the nonsense we have to put up with anyway. Sturgeon gets toppled and Angus MacNeil leads us to "hard independence". I move to Australia.
  • Options
    Poll by @SavantaComRes for this week's @TheEconomist. #Indyref2 vote intentions (excl DKs). Yes 49 (-1); No 51 (+1).
    https://twitter.com/WhatScotsThink/status/1500397101615833090?s=20&t=bpe0dwnWn-flGN5-DdWJVg
  • Options
    Farooq said:

I think it’s a distance thing, the longer your force is at sea the more vulnerable it is, and fighter cover would have been negligible over NE Scotland. The Heer and Kriegsmarine almost came a cropper over the comparatively shorter distances involved in Norway.

Aiui the possibility was wargamed and it was thought that a Scottish invasion should be left to fight it’s way down the island rather than opposed in situ.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 26,170

Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

We will do our own housekeeping - but not until the war in Ukraine is resolved.
    So it might be a long time before we need to get our house in order.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Fishing said:

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

You're missing out the 2,500 Hong Kongers that we are welcoming every week. Don't they count?
    Be interesting if the estimates pan out

our central range analysis estimated between 123,000 and 153,700 BN(O) status holders and their dependants coming in the first year and between 258,000 and 322,400 over five years

https://homeofficemedia.blog.gov.uk/2022/02/24/media-factsheet-hong-kong-bnos/
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

Net favourability

Sturgeon 13%
    Scottish Government 7%
    Anas Sarwar 1%
    Keir Starmer -10
    Patrick Harvie -15
    Alex Cole-Hamilton -15
    Lorna Slater -15
    Rishi Sunak -19
    Douglas Ross -21
    UK Government -50
    Alex Salmond -62
    Boris Johnson -62

What’s the alternative?

Ah, ok, fair enough.

I have to give some credit to Douglas Ross - no longer DRoss - in standing up to the cesspit that is the so-called unionist party south of the wall. As you say, there is no alternative being offered to independence that isn't a broken status-quo.

This isn;t so much a Scottish issue as it is a Union issue. We cut off NI from GB and we're at risk now of seeing Sinn Fein in office across the intra-Irish border and all that means. Scotland is restless and getting more so. Wales has found its own feet and is pushing its own identity.

So we either reform the union or it will die.
  • Options
    edited March 2022

Indeed; the sexual imbalance in Viking society was odd. Even allowing, as per the Sagas, for Vikings who habitually travelled between Scandinavia, Iceland, the Hebrides and Ireland to have 'wives' in at least two or three of those places.
  • Options
    Before we talk about another Sindy referendum I think we should get clarity on the SNP's position with regards to Nato.
  • Options
    ClippP said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

ClippP said:

DavidL said:

No Prime Minister has seen over 50% of voters vote for their government since Baldwin in 1935. So what? We elect our PMs and governments by FPTP not PR
    So no prime minister has been a national leader since 1935 then? Apart from coalition ones, of course. Perhaps.

Small wonder the country has gone steadily downhill since the war...... We need a national leader now, young HY. The best you Tories can come up with is Johnson.
    Johnson has got a bigger mandate and is more of a national leader than most PMs.

The 43.6% he got in 2019 has only been matched or exceeded in the last 50 years once ie by Thatcher in 1979
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

A couple of dozen destroyed Russian vehicles in that convoy, including a white transit type van. Not many escort vehicles seen either, just a BTR at the back. Those logistic problems are serious, and this is near Kharkiv so not far from the border.

A different video of that convoy:

https://twitter.com/JimmySecUK/status/1500258525750206465?t=4FzaeRlywEW3mIyex3oQ7w&s=19

• Options
    edited March 2022
    IshmaelZ said:

Farooq said:

IshmaelZ said:

My usage is ok in English English: my bank send me a statement once a month. Not in US English, apparently.
    I don't really care, actually, I think it's fine as long as you make yourself understood. I just felt duty-bound to pedantise the pedantry. I also noticed the best/better thing in the article and figured it would be more gooder not to say nothing.
  • Options

I wonder if Zelenskyy would accept a deal that gives Russia a land corridor to Crimea in exchange for pulling all other Russian troops out of the country? Would allow Putin to save face. Effectively an extension of the occupation that would not be recognised by the international community.

Notably that would include areas beyond what Russia has officially annexed (Crimea) but I cannot imagine that would stop Russia from being pleased to accept that as it's in the Oblast (great name) for one of the 'independent' states.

I presume a big stumbling block would be Maripol is in that corridor, and from BBC that's one of Ukraine's main ports and a sizable city, so tough to concede.

Not many good options for them though.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

Net favourability

Sturgeon 13%
    Scottish Government 7%
    Anas Sarwar 1%
    Keir Starmer -10
    Patrick Harvie -15
    Alex Cole-Hamilton -15
    Lorna Slater -15
    Rishi Sunak -19
    Douglas Ross -21
    UK Government -50
    Alex Salmond -62
    Boris Johnson -62

What’s the alternative?

Ah, ok, fair enough.

Remain = it's settled, we can have normal political debate again and we get inward investment.

Leave = a deeply entertaining battle with Westminster which is similar to the nonsense we have to put up with anyway. Sturgeon gets toppled and Angus MacNeil leads us to "hard independence". I move to Australia.
    I believe another distinguished PBer has mentioned Oz as a retirement destination for raddled, old bon viveurs? You might even be on the same plane!
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 13,207

The last time mainland Britain was invaded from two directions at once one invasion failed, the other succeeded.
    With the benefit of a view from 1000 years later, it might have been better for the citizenry if the results had been reversed.

Always worth reminding people in 1066 England was the wealthiest and most prosperous country in northern and western Europe. It had been free of conflict of more than a generation, there was an active and lucrative wool trade with Flanders and English silver was generally accepted as currency across Europe.

That's why it was viewed as ripe for plunder by the likes of William of Normandy and Harald Hardrada - as a source of economic power to fund other conflicts.

It's also worth remembering a lot of the Saxon nobility had considerable contacts with Normandy - Edward the Confessor had spent his exile in Normandy and knew William well. Some of the Saxon nobles survived because of their contacts with the Normans and that's why most organised resistance collapsed after Hastings (or Senlac).

Had Hardrada killed Harold and defeated the Saxons and William landed at Pevensey (neither knew of the other's plans or motivations), what then? A decisive battle for control of England or a negotiated dissection of the country along the lines of the old Danelaw with Hardrada's stooge, Harold's brother, Tostig, ruling from York and William ruling the prosperous south and west (Wessex) from Winchester?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 51,047
    Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

A couple of dozen destroyed Russian vehicles in that convoy, including a white transit type van. Not many escort vehicles seen either, just a BTR at the back. Those logistic problems are serious, and this is near Kharkiv so not far from the border.

A different video of that convoy:

https://twitter.com/JimmySecUK/status/1500258525750206465?t=4FzaeRlywEW3mIyex3oQ7w&s=19

Even allowing for some creative licence from the Ukranians, there’s at least a couple of thousand Russian vehicles lost now.

Plus another couple of thousand more in that massive stuck convoy, which most likely end up captured.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

ClippP said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

ClippP said:

DavidL said:

Johnson has got a bigger mandate and is more of a national leader than most PMs.

The 43.6% he got in 2019 has only been matched or exceeded in the last 50 years once ie by Thatcher in 1979
    Your figures are, of course right. Doesn't alter the basic premise; that he's unfit for the job, though.
    And he's not a leader, he's a schemer.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 13,207
    HYUFD said:

Poll by @SavantaComRes for this week's @TheEconomist. #Indyref2 vote intentions (excl DKs). Yes 49 (-1); No 51 (+1).
    https://twitter.com/WhatScotsThink/status/1500397101615833090?s=20&t=bpe0dwnWn-flGN5-DdWJVg

I note on the most recent seat projections Labour at 306 doesn't need SNP support if they can get Confidence & Supply from the LDs (324 would be a small majority in the absence of the SF MPs).

Starmer is therefore also in a position to close down a second independence referendum.
  • Options
    edited March 2022

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

Net favourability

Sturgeon 13%
    Scottish Government 7%
    Anas Sarwar 1%
    Keir Starmer -10
    Patrick Harvie -15
    Alex Cole-Hamilton -15
    Lorna Slater -15
    Rishi Sunak -19
    Douglas Ross -21
    UK Government -50
    Alex Salmond -62
    Boris Johnson -62

What’s the alternative?

Ah, ok, fair enough.

I have to give some credit to Douglas Ross - no longer DRoss - in standing up to the cesspit that is the so-called unionist party south of the wall. As you say, there is no alternative being offered to independence that isn't a broken status-quo.

This isn;t so much a Scottish issue as it is a Union issue. We cut off NI from GB and we're at risk now of seeing Sinn Fein in office across the intra-Irish border and all that means. Scotland is restless and getting more so. Wales has found its own feet and is pushing its own identity.

We didn't, it was the EU who demanded the Irish Sea border for a UK and EU trade deal. Now the UK government is correctly considering whether to invoke Article 16.

As I have just posted No is still ahead on the latest Scottish independence poll, though the UK government will correctly continue to refuse indyref2 and respect the once in a generation 2014 vote.

As for Ireland, it does not matter what the Republic of Ireland votes for, as it left the UK a century ago (albeit I suspect FG and FF will still get enough seats combined to keep out SF). In NI though Unionist parties still win more votes than Nationalist parties and more seats at Stormont.

Wales still sees Plaid getting nowhere, both the 2 main parties Labour and Tory are Unionist and indeed Boris is the most popular Tory PM in Wales for generations. Hence the Tories got their highest voteshare in Wales since 1918 in 2019 and their most seats in Wales since 1983
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Notably that would include areas beyond what Russia has officially annexed (Crimea) but I cannot imagine that would stop Russia from being pleased to accept that as it's in the Oblast (great name) for one of the 'independent' states.

I presume a big stumbling block would be Maripol is in that corridor, and from BBC that's one of Ukraine's main ports and a sizable city, so tough to concede.

Not many good options for them though.
    The point is that we PROMISE to Zelenskyy we will keep the crippling sanctions until Russia withdraws completely since its obvious he would be signing the deal with a gun to his head. I include Crimea and Donbass in that. The key is whether we could get Zelenskyy to trust us on that.
  • Options
    Fishing said:

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

Not refugees, British overseas passport holders. Albeit ones that were denied residence rights by Maggie in 1981.
  • Options

Eabhal said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

Net favourability

Sturgeon 13%
    Scottish Government 7%
    Anas Sarwar 1%
    Keir Starmer -10
    Patrick Harvie -15
    Alex Cole-Hamilton -15
    Lorna Slater -15
    Rishi Sunak -19
    Douglas Ross -21
    UK Government -50
    Alex Salmond -62
    Boris Johnson -62

What’s the alternative?

Ah, ok, fair enough.

I believe another distinguished PBer has mentioned Oz as a retirement destination for raddled, old bon viveurs? You might even be on the same plane!
    Haha, it would be mainly so my GF gets paid a decent salary for her Doctoring.

But it's rather like all the Americans who said they'd move to Canada if Trump got in. I'm always going to come back to Scotland.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 4,190
    edited March 2022
    https://twitter.com/ilya_shepelin/status/1500073553055657986

"On TV they will say that this is a rally for the war and Putin)))

In Nizhnekamsk, workers went on strike because of "underpayments" as a result of a jump in the exchange rate"

First sign of disruption hitting Russian industry. More big pro-Ukraine rallies in occupied Ukraine today, the troops there must know that if they get violent it's not going to end well for them.
  • Options
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:

I note on the most recent seat projections Labour at 306 doesn't need SNP support if they can get Confidence & Supply from the LDs (324 would be a small majority in the absence of the SF MPs).

Starmer is therefore also in a position to close down a second independence referendum.
    Labour won't offer a deal to the SNP. The SNP won't ask a deal from Labour.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,931

Thanks for these tips @NickPalmer . No harm in reading the other sides propoganda as well as our own. A more sceptical and cautious stance towards what we are hearing about the war is not a bad idea. A pessimist is never disappointed, as Sophie Ellis Bextor once remarked.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

Net favourability

Sturgeon 13%
    Scottish Government 7%
    Anas Sarwar 1%
    Keir Starmer -10
    Patrick Harvie -15
    Alex Cole-Hamilton -15
    Lorna Slater -15
    Rishi Sunak -19
    Douglas Ross -21
    UK Government -50
    Alex Salmond -62
    Boris Johnson -62

What’s the alternative?

Ah, ok, fair enough.

I agree again. This could get boring. The Union has to show its worth to people on a consistent basis, it is not enough to rely on sentiment or hanging on to nurse. In fairness, with the vaccination programs and the furlough schemes it did but these are the exceptions.

To take the Brexit arguments as an example remainers argued that access to the SM was an immense economic benefit to the UK. Some, such as me, questioned whether being a part of a system which resulted in an £80bn a year deficit for the UK was actually in our interests. For every gainer selling a service through Europe there were many losers.

If you apply that logic to Scotland does being a part of the UK SM actually work to our benefit? They take a very large percentage of our exports but we import even more and smaller, Scottish, businesses seem to struggle to thrive against bigger, more well funded competitors. In my own field of law we have seen many of the larger Scottish firms fall into branches of English based behemoths and there are several others showing more leg than is entirely decent hoping for the same.

What needs serious thought is how do we succeed in the UK SM in light of that competition or, for that matter, outside the UK when the competition remains every bit as ferocious. I was deeply disappointed with Kate Forbes' answer this week. To call her presentation vacuuous would be to insult the outer reaches of the Solar system but she at least showed some recognition of what is required, if no clear ideas of how to get there.

This is the real challenge for our political class but they completely ignore it, favouring a sterile, counterproductive and damaging constitutional debate instead.
  • Options
    Putin should take heart that even under the Soviet Union some leaders were able to be removed without being killed. Malenkov almost lived to see the end of the Soviet Union and Khruschev was 'retired'.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Always worth reminding people in 1066 England was the wealthiest and most prosperous country in northern and western Europe. It had been free of conflict of more than a generation, there was an active and lucrative wool trade with Flanders and English silver was generally accepted as currency across Europe.

That's why it was viewed as ripe for plunder by the likes of William of Normandy and Harald Hardrada - as a source of economic power to fund other conflicts.

It's also worth remembering a lot of the Saxon nobility had considerable contacts with Normandy - Edward the Confessor had spent his exile in Normandy and knew William well. Some of the Saxon nobles survived because of their contacts with the Normans and that's why most organised resistance collapsed after Hastings (or Senlac).

Had Hardrada killed Harold and defeated the Saxons and William landed at Pevensey (neither knew of the other's plans or motivations), what then? A decisive battle for control of England or a negotiated dissection of the country along the lines of the old Danelaw with Hardrada's stooge, Harold's brother, Tostig, ruling from York and William ruling the prosperous south and west (Wessex) from Winchester?
    I think it would have depended on how much damage the Saxons had done to both invaders. If not a lot, then I think William might have tried for the lot. If bother armies weakened, then I think they'd have settled for a split.
    And that might, of course, have led to a Greater 'Scotland".
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

Net favourability

Sturgeon 13%
    Scottish Government 7%
    Anas Sarwar 1%
    Keir Starmer -10
    Patrick Harvie -15
    Alex Cole-Hamilton -15
    Lorna Slater -15
    Rishi Sunak -19
    Douglas Ross -21
    UK Government -50
    Alex Salmond -62
    Boris Johnson -62

What’s the alternative?

Ah, ok, fair enough.

We didn't, it was the EU who demanded the Irish Sea border for a UK and EU trade deal. Now the UK government is correctly considering whether to invoke Article 16.
    We divided GB and NI. Not the EU. As for A16, so what. That is the start of a change in relations, not an end. We need to find a way to square the circle and refuse to do the obvious.

The Ukraine war demonstrates that we need allies and alliances more than ever. Yet the cosplay Thatcher gets invited to the European Council and doesn't even have the good grace to mention the EU or that she was at the European Council when tweeting about it.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Nigelb said:

Omnium said:

My guess is they had some foreknowledge too, but I'm not sure, and unless sure I don't think it was a wise step to make the allegation.
    More than the Russian army seem to have had?
    Seems unlikely
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Putin should take heart that even under the Soviet Union some leaders were able to be removed without being killed. Malenkov almost lived to see the end of the Soviet Union and Khruschev was 'retired'.

His health may already be in question.
This discussion has been closed.