Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

April’s French election looks set to be Macron vs Le Pen once again – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,851
    Andy_JS said:

Taz said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Taz said:

On a train to Leeds from Newcastle. £96 it cost!

Walk up fare ?
    Nope booked in advance
    Peak fare then. Did you try to split the ticket?

And when you say 'advance' you probably didn't get an actual Advance fare.

£96 for that journey is ridiculous. I'm sorry for you. That sucks.
    Luckily my employer is paying but good grief. Would cost £20-£30 in petrol tops to get there.
    I also note the train is fairly empty. Wonder why
    It's another of the many reasons I may move abroad. The train fares in the UK are ridiculously expensive. £96 for your journey of, what, 90 miles. That's awful.
    I had a look on Thetrainline.com and 96 quid is the price of a walkup fare with an open return for 1 month.

Mind you first class would be £179.
    Fares are expensive if you travel before 9:30am. Not too bad after that.
    I dunno, I went from Westbury to Paddington return (also 90 miles each way) for the PB event for £48. And I got upgraded to 1st class. I was the only one in the 1st class carriage on the way up. Busier on the way back.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,801
    Sandpit said:

Okay, shit just got very, very real.

Missile attack on a school, 100 metres from my house in Zhytomyr.
    https://liveuamap.com/en/2022/4-march-remains-of-school-number-25-in-zhytomyr-that-was
    https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1499654589766946820
    (50.2518872, 28.6637542)

That is absolutely terrifying. Bombing a school. I'm gutted and devastated for you.

I mentioned my wife is from Finland. We have close family there. Looking at the pictures, the countries appear eerily similar. I've been engulfed with the fear that we could be next. The peaceful and world that we knew for all of our lives, feels like it no longer exists.

We have to be in absolute solidarity with Ukraine, whatever happens. The west has to reassert itself.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,038
    darkage said:

We have to be in absolute solidarity with Ukraine, whatever happens. The west has to reassert itself.

Ukraine is going to be Europe's Lebanon after this. Hollowed out by a massive diaspora and with the structures of civil society absolutely destroyed.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,819
    kle4 said:

moonshine said:

tlg86 said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

BBC Radio Five Live: firefighters trying to put out the flames are being shot at by Russian troops.

Jesus Christ. At this stage I am pretty sure Putin is TRYING to draw NATO into direct conflict. Because he knows he’s fucked up
    One could argue they are trying to cut off the electricity, but I agree with you. Primarily this is about trying to draw NATO into acting.
    If NATO became actively engaged in Ukraine, every Russian division would be destroyed, as quickly as Putin could press gang fresh boys into service. If Putin escalated the war to firing on NATO bases flying sorties, NATO could crush every base within 100 miles of the Ukrainian border without blinking. If Putin launched a nuke or nukes, then he like the rest of us loses the game entirely.

If his strategy really is to draw the West in to a fight to retrospectively justify his war, one has to assume he has gone full cuckoo and his goal is universal oblivion.

I don’t think that’s true. I think he knows he can’t hold Ukraine and make it a stable part of mother Russia, so his goal is to make it an ungovernable mess so the West can’t have it either.
    I think that is it. He'll see it burn so he can be king of the ashes, or else leave it to others to do nothing but sweep up.
    That makes sense. Like the abusive husband. If I can't have you, I'll make sure nobody else will want you.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,071
    biggles said:

Somebody posted a link to a Ukraine Aid Fund on our village WhatsApp. Which immediately elicited the following tone-deaf response:

"Thanks for the above link Jenny.
    On a more mundane note, I am putting out a request: we are looking for someone to help clean the house on a fortnightly basis. Any suggestions would be most welcome. Thanks. Becca xx"

Some people!

Our assorted local facebook groups and the like are like car crashes. I can’t look away. They make me hate people.
    At least the local cats seem to be staying home. No-one's lost one for ages. And all the dog-shit is being collected.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,308
    Andy_JS said:

Taz said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Taz said:

Walk up fare ?
    Nope booked in advance

Luckily my employer is paying but good grief. Would cost £20-£30 in petrol tops to get there.
    It's another of the many reasons I may move abroad. The train fares in the UK are ridiculously expensive. £96 for your journey of, what, 90 miles. That's awful.
    I had a look on Thetrainline.com and 96 quid is the price of a walkup fare with an open return for 1 month.

True, but I was surprised a pre booked fare was the same price as a walk up.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,978
    So, isn’t attacking a Nuclear power plant a direct threat to the west?

If Putin is so reckless, I fear for what is next.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,733
    FTSE under 7100
  • Options
    ping said:

There is a NATO meeting of foreign ministers in Brussels which just adds to despair as spokesperson after spokesperson says they want to speak out and stand up, but without direct military action they are meaningless

I disagree.

NATO is more meaningful now than at any time since 1989.
    I absolutely agree but the point is without military action the words are just that, words
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,168

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

(50.2518872, 28.6637542)

I am so sorry - prayers for you and your family
    Thanks. Just spoke to father in law, and he’s thankfully okay. He lives about 200m from the blast.
    I am near tears this morning
    Erdington was never a likely gain, chin up.

(gallows humour before you bite)
    Though the swing was not too bad for Boris, would see a hung parliament yes but the Tories still largest party
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379

A disastrous cabinet minister twice sacked for being a cretin, there is no way at all that he deserves a gong.

Lord Mandelson says hi.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,593

biggles said:

Somebody posted a link to a Ukraine Aid Fund on our village WhatsApp. Which immediately elicited the following tone-deaf response:

On a more mundane note, I am putting out a request: we are looking for someone to help clean the house on a fortnightly basis. Any suggestions would be most welcome. Thanks. Becca xx"

Some people!

Our assorted local facebook groups and the like are like car crashes. I can’t look away. They make me hate people.
    At least the local cats seem to be staying home. No-one's lost one for ages. And all the dog-shit is being collected.
    Count your blessings. For a vast number of people out there, local news that boring is a dream.
  • Options

There is a NATO meeting of foreign ministers in Brussels which just adds to despair as spokesperson after spokesperson says they want to speak out and stand up, but without direct military action they are meaningless

Well we can't take direct military action as that means WW3.

So continued economic sanctions it is
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,944

Sandpit said:

https://liveuamap.com/en/2022/4-march-remains-of-school-number-25-in-zhytomyr-that-was
    (50.2518872, 28.6637542)

That's appalling - I do hope you don't have any more horrors.
    Thanks Nick.

Looks like we’ll be buying new windows for our house though.

Thankfully no casualties in this blast, buildings can be rebuilt.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,054

The most satisfying part of the Erdington BE was a pretty poor showing from Nellist.

To be fair, he was twice as popular as the LibDems.....
    When its known they are not bothering to try their voters seem pretty up for transferring.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

(50.2518872, 28.6637542)

Thanks. Just spoke to father in law, and he’s thankfully okay. He lives about 200m from the blast.
    My wife was in tears when we were discussing the assault on the nuclear plant.

Many people are stressed over this. It is a grave concern
    I didn’t want to tell my wife, but fortunately this morning it does not seem to be the absolute crisis it looked like in the early hours
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Dura_Ace said:

Foxy said:

Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

Dura_Ace said:

Russia is starting to roll out blocks for Apple and Google mobile app stores, Facebook, Twitter and a variety of foreign media sites. Blocking is not yet fully effective but I am sure they will figure it out…

Great Firewall coming to RU

https://twitter.com/dalperovitch/status/1499635215697911810?s=21

I've got nearly 15 years worth of email on yandex. Am I about to get done up the bugle?

Briefcase wankers report in and tell me.
    Get a software mail client on your computer (Thunderbird, Outlook, Apple Mail etc) and download all your mail before it gets cut off.
    Spasibo, mne pryatno. I've just had a look and it's 18 years! The first emails were on my original mail.ru account from 2004 and then later migrated to Yandex. I've got Thunderbird raging with the download now.

I previously didn't give a fuck but now that the war has come home, I'm picking a side. 🇺🇦
    How's Mrs Dura Ace taking it?
    Very upset. Being far more sociable and charming than me she still has a lot of friends and colleagues in both Ukraine and Russia. Her friends tend toward the educated, liberal rather than gopnik so they are almost all vehemently anti-Putin but keep it on the down low.

The dentist who was her practice partner in Moscow moved to Kyiv about the time that we left Russia. She's completely disappeared this week so fuck knows what's happened to her.

On top of all that some bastard is using her dishwasher to remove road tar from a ZF HP8 transmission cooler.
    Just assure her that no way a ZF HP8 transmission cooler could have done that damage to the dishwasher and if she dissents send her over to PB for alternative theories.
    I told her she was welcome to use my CNC plasma cutter to cook things but negotiations broke down in acrimony.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,146

The most satisfying part of the Erdington BE was a pretty poor showing from Nellist.

As I said to Carlotta, it seems like the electorate is slowly aligning between Tory and best positioned non-Tory. That's fine by me. It should worry you though.
    We've lived with that for decades though.
  • Options

A generous reading is that they want to shut down the site to restrict power to Ukraine. They must have had a plan for what to do about the four nuclear plant sites (one assumes).
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,344
    HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

(50.2518872, 28.6637542)

Though the swing was not too bad for Boris, would see a hung parliament yes but the Tories still largest party
    I have given you a like, because in the face of nuclear Armageddon you have found a silver lining.

Remember one thing, ONS is not your friend. It is an illusion.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    TimS said:

kle4 said:

moonshine said:

tlg86 said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

BBC Radio Five Live: firefighters trying to put out the flames are being shot at by Russian troops.

Jesus Christ. At this stage I am pretty sure Putin is TRYING to draw NATO into direct conflict. Because he knows he’s fucked up
    One could argue they are trying to cut off the electricity, but I agree with you. Primarily this is about trying to draw NATO into acting.
    If NATO became actively engaged in Ukraine, every Russian division would be destroyed, as quickly as Putin could press gang fresh boys into service. If Putin escalated the war to firing on NATO bases flying sorties, NATO could crush every base within 100 miles of the Ukrainian border without blinking. If Putin launched a nuke or nukes, then he like the rest of us loses the game entirely.

If his strategy really is to draw the West in to a fight to retrospectively justify his war, one has to assume he has gone full cuckoo and his goal is universal oblivion.

I don’t think that’s true. I think he knows he can’t hold Ukraine and make it a stable part of mother Russia, so his goal is to make it an ungovernable mess so the West can’t have it either.
    I think that is it. He'll see it burn so he can be king of the ashes, or else leave it to others to do nothing but sweep up.
    That makes sense. Like the abusive husband. If I can't have you, I'll make sure nobody else will want you.
    It can't be plan A though can it?
  • Options

ping said:

I disagree.

NATO is more meaningful now than at any time since 1989.
    I absolutely agree but the point is without military action the words are just that, words
    The last thing I want to see is Nato escalating this militarily... because it would probably be the last thing we would all see.

Painful though it is we must let the sanctions and the complete ostracisation of the Russian state do their work.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,330
    tlg86 said:

Good luck getting Worldle today! :tongue:

In three. Did you find it hard then? :)
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,062
    I wonder if we should threaten a no fly zone now? The attacking of nuclear plants ups the ante. Whilst we may not actually enact such a thing, Putin wouldn't know that.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,176

Some people!

Becca or Becky?
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,622
    darkage said:

I don't want to depress people, particularly not after Cicero's update from Tallinn.

But there is a lot of emerging evidence that the Russian Army are not going to fail, and the Ukranian army is about to be crushed; by way of engagement of the Russian air force and heavy bombing of cities. This unherd interview with a military expert was posted on PB yesterday evening by way of example, and was very insightful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naPuZgI53Co

My own maxim is to assume the worst, and we might end up being surprised. However, it seems that we just narrowly escaped another Chernobyl last night - I thought the Russians would be smart enough to avoid that type of risk, they keep proving me wrong.

These are extremely dark days, by far the worst in my lifetime.

if we assume the worst we shall be pleasantly surprised every day to wake up in the morning.

Wars in modern Europe are not winnable in any meaningful sense. The complexity of infrastructure + nuclear weapons render the idea meaningless. Which is why the whole point of NATO and MAD is to ensure they don't start, especially as involving super powers. There is no such thing as a just war which demolishes Europe or the planet. This is not 1939. The moral balance has horribly shifted.

Because of MAD, nothing (AFAICS) can prevent Russia if they wish 'winning' in the barbaric sense of the term, despite the heroic stand of Ukrainians who I 100% support.

So it will soon be time to consider better options within the bad choices. This has to end somehow, wars always do, and as one way of ending it is annihilation sub-optimal ideas need to be considered.

My favourite (or least bad) at the moment: Peace talks brokered jointly by China and India, both officially neutral in UN terms, and both with huge populations to lose in a nuclear winter and sane enough to want to keep them alive, and with some collective clout over Russia, Ukraine and NATO.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

Actually a spokesperson has just said they are to increase the supply of armaments into Ukraine, so maybe they are coming round to more direct intervention as sanctions are not enough
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Good luck getting Worldle today! :tongue:

In three. Did you find it hard then? :)
    Daughter did it in 3, son did it in 4, I did it in 5. I'm being overtaken.
  • Options

biggles said:

Some people!

Count your blessings. For a vast number of people out there, local news that boring is a dream.
    Currently all that sort of thing has been replaced by Ukrainian Relief activity.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,405

I wonder if we should threaten a no fly zone now? The attacking of nuclear plants ups the ante. Whilst we may not actually enact such a thing, Putin wouldn't know that.

Yes he would.
  • Options
    TimS said:

kle4 said:

moonshine said:

tlg86 said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

There's a lot of toxic masculinity going on in this conflict.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

(50.2518872, 28.6637542)

I have given you a like, because in the face of nuclear Armageddon you have found a silver lining.

Look this is PB.

Even if we were in WW3 we would still be talking about by election swings as well!
    I wouldn't
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,733
    FTSE 7050. It’s only going in one direction
  • Options
    darkage said:

TimS said:

kle4 said:

moonshine said:

tlg86 said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

There's a lot of toxic masculinity going on in this conflict.
    War is toxic masculinity!
  • Options

No, as as terrible as it is it is still right over the far side of Europe from us and damaging nuclear plants in Ukraine would therefore hit Russia far more than us

The moment we send fighter jets to Ukraine however we are drawn into WW3
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,011
    HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

(50.2518872, 28.6637542)

According to ElectoralCalculus a 4.5% swing to Lab would give the Tories 310 seats under the current boundaries and 316 seats with the new boundaries.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

As the atrocities mount up, and Russian expansionism becomes more evident,you and Jeremy Corbyn will become more and more isolated.

Now there's a thought, a post nuclear infinite purgatory where JC and HY only have each other for company.
  • Options

I keep coming back to the points made by people who've met him - "he's changed", "not the old Putin" etc

There is a phenomenon where politicians when they get older can turn... weird, in an ugly way.

Rudy Giuliani used to be a normal politician. Praised across the political spectrum. Now he has gone Full Trumpet.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

(50.2518872, 28.6637542)

According to ElectoralCalculus a 4.5% swing to Lab would give the Tories 310 seats under the current boundaries and 316 seats with the new boundaries.
    Yes, on the new boundaries the Tories could even stay in power with DUP support in a hung parliament on the swing last night.

However the DUP would demand they invoke Article 16 first
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,584

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

(50.2518872, 28.6637542)

For example:

The read you need from Birmingham Erdington:

By-election result reflects what most polls and models are saying right now. If an election was held today, the House of Commons would split Lab 295 MPs and Con 257.

Britain Predicts:
    https://t.co/LIWAUWsbB5
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,944
    Brand new building, just completed and a month or two from handover.

Maybe we will need to add a couple of windows to the fit-out budget!

• Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

(50.2518872, 28.6637542)

Look this is PB.

Even if we were in WW3 we would still be talking about by election swings as well!
    After WW3 one of the first tasks might be to have by-elections in the small number of constituencies in remote areas that still had a living electorate, assuming that the MPs were in London when the nuclear exchange occurs.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Yes he would.
    I suspect there are still the likes of Burgess and Maclean about. Although how anyone can be loyal to the likes of Putin I don't know.
    At least with Communism there was an idealism; misplaced I now realise, but it was above personalities.
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,458

Belarus must be waking up this morning less than delighted at the prospect of Chernobyl 2. Putin' goons seem quite relaxed about making Minsk uninhabitable, so long as it means they win in Ukraine.

Think on't, Belarus. You are being rewarded for your loyalty to Putin by THIS?

Good point. Not only could Russia be left dealing with a, to say the least, disenchanted population in occupied Ukraine but facing an insurrection in Belarus too. No-one doubts the ability of Putin to suppress dissent but it could be a real firestorm particularly with an economic crisis to contend with as well.

Ultimately will depend on the determination of the West to maintain and intensify sanctions over a long period. I'm guessing Putin is pretty sceptical about the decadent West doing that.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    Applicant said:

A disastrous cabinet minister twice sacked for being a cretin, there is no way at all that he deserves a gong.

Lord Mandelson says hi.
    That kind of whataboutery demeans you
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,978

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

(50.2518872, 28.6637542)

Look this is PB.

I wouldn't
    The thing is with the HFUYD “ww3” outcome is that it fails to recognise this is not a black and white conflict.

The direct attack on nuclear power stations is an escalation that will effect us all. This stuff is a direct threat and escalation, and one we cannot simply ignore. By doing nothing - we embolden Putin. Where does he go next?
  • Options
    edited March 2022

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

(50.2518872, 28.6637542)

Look this is PB.

After WW3 one of the first tasks might be to have by-elections in the small number of constituencies in remote areas that still had a living electorate, assuming that the MPs were in London when the nuclear exchange occurs.
    I believe the Tories would still have a majority in the few seats with some population left after a nuclear war someone calculated. Though new candidates needed
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

(50.2518872, 28.6637542)

Yes, on the new boundaries the Tories could even stay in power with DUP support in a hung parliament on the swing last night.

They would also demand yet more subsidies for their worthless province, whose economy is already three quarters state spending.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,075

I keep coming back to the points made by people who've met him - "he's changed", "not the old Putin" etc

There is a phenomenon where politicians when they get older can turn... weird, in an ugly way.

Rudy Giuliani used to be a normal politician. Praised across the political spectrum. Now he has gone Full Trumpet.
    I've said in the past that ten years seems to be about the maximum term for a leader in a democracy. The further they go beyond that, the worse their decisions tend to get. I did mention Merkel as an exception, but perhaps she wasn't...
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,476
    Sandpit said:

Indeed. The far left and far right both lost their deposits.

Hopefully one of the few good things to come out of this conflict, is the need to moderate the political discourse, step back from more extreme views and tolerate the opinions of others.
    Especially since right wing Tories and UKIP and left wing Labour are/were the Putin apologists a
  • Options

HYUFD said:

As the atrocities mount up, and Russian expansionism becomes more evident,you and Jeremy Corbyn will become more and more isolated.

Now there's a thought, a post nuclear infinite purgatory where JC and HY only have each other for company.
    "atrocities mount up"

It is an invasion. For reasons that are legitimate to Putin, if not us. "Atrocities" is what happens. NATO and the US have already made clear that they are not going to become involved militarily in Ukraine. So that leaves economic sanctions.

Or what would you do.
  • Options
    "The rise of Londongrad was planned. British governments of all stripes opened the country to Russian capital. In 1994, under John Major, the Conservatives introduced a “golden visa” scheme that handed residency rights to anyone who invested £1m ($1.3m). Tony Blair’s Labour government carried it on with enthusiasm. Ken Livingstone, London’s leftist mayor from 2000 to 2008, said he wanted “Russian companies to regard London as their natural base in Europe”. Boris Johnson, Mr Livingstone’s successor, was good pals with Evgeny Lebedev, proprietor of the Evening Standard, son of a former kgb agent and billionaire. Mr Johnson, now prime minister, made the Anglo-Russian a peer in 2020.

For those arriving from Vladimir Putin’s Russia, London offered safety, security and secrecy. Britain has accommodating laws on tax, libel and property, enforced by an efficient, if expensive, court system—which is, moreover, accommodating in the matter of injunctions. Extradition to Russia, with its corrupt judiciary, is a no-no in the eyes of English judges. On top of this, the private schools are good and so is the shopping. London is an “everything haven”, in the description of Oliver Bullough, author of a forthcoming book, “Butler to the World: How Britain Became the Servant of Tycoons, Tax Dodgers, Kleptocrats and Criminals”. Discretion is key. It follows the rule above a banya’s door: “Please keep conversation to a minimum.”"

https://www.economist.com/britain/2022/03/05/the-rise-and-fall-of-londongrad
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

(50.2518872, 28.6637542)

For example:

By-election result reflects what most polls and models are saying right now. If an election was held today, the House of Commons would split Lab 295 MPs and Con 257.

Britain Predicts:
    There won't be an election until May 2024.

I remember when Ed Miliband was walking into 10 Downing Street. Either Boris gets a huge war boost and overrides any party-gate effect. Or he gets replaced in good time for the new PM to settle in and get a honeymoon bounce.

Removing Boris would lance the boil for many.
  • Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758
    Where are you all sending donations? I went with https://gofund.me/22b0fbf1 Help Ukraine Emergency Appeal as it is organised by Ukrainians in the UK and looks as though it can get things through quickly via their organisational links without too much bureaucracy.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,830
    edited March 2022
    Dura_Ace said:

darkage said:

Ukraine is going to be Europe's Lebanon after this. Hollowed out by a massive diaspora and with the structures of civil society absolutely destroyed.
    Until Putin is in a box, yes.
    But a much better chance to rebuild.

Have you considered a second dishwasher, btw ?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,013
    Mr. Mark, disagree.

Entirely possible Conservatives continue to lag in the polls and their gutless MPs refuse to do what needs to be done.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

"The rise of Londongrad was planned. British governments of all stripes opened the country to Russian capital. In 1994, under John Major, the Conservatives introduced a “golden visa” scheme that handed residency rights to anyone who invested £1m ($1.3m). Tony Blair’s Labour government carried it on with enthusiasm. Ken Livingstone, London’s leftist mayor from 2000 to 2008, said he wanted “Russian companies to regard London as their natural base in Europe”. Boris Johnson, Mr Livingstone’s successor, was good pals with Evgeny Lebedev, proprietor of the Evening Standard, son of a former kgb agent and billionaire. Mr Johnson, now prime minister, made the Anglo-Russian a peer in 2020.

For those arriving from Vladimir Putin’s Russia, London offered safety, security and secrecy. Britain has accommodating laws on tax, libel and property, enforced by an efficient, if expensive, court system—which is, moreover, accommodating in the matter of injunctions. Extradition to Russia, with its corrupt judiciary, is a no-no in the eyes of English judges. On top of this, the private schools are good and so is the shopping. London is an “everything haven”, in the description of Oliver Bullough, author of a forthcoming book, “Butler to the World: How Britain Became the Servant of Tycoons, Tax Dodgers, Kleptocrats and Criminals”. Discretion is key. It follows the rule above a banya’s door: “Please keep conversation to a minimum.”"

Londongrad, Londonistan, etc.

Surely this is the freewheeling Singapore-type country that so many people wanted, indeed voted for. A bonfire of the legislation.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

(50.2518872, 28.6637542)

Look this is PB.

Somebody posted a post apocalypse map of the UK earlier this week. The silver lining for the Conservatives on here was of the circa 30 seats remaining we were in Tory landslide territory. Proof, if it were needed, that God is indeed a Conservative.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Sandpit said:

Hopefully one of the few good things to come out of this conflict, is the need to moderate the political discourse, step back from more extreme views and tolerate the opinions of others.
    Especially since right wing Tories and UKIP and left wing Labour are/were the Putin apologists a
    right wing Tories Putin apologists? Name names....
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

(50.2518872, 28.6637542)

Although you'd expect a swingback of at least 10 seats compared to mid-term.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,853

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

(50.2518872, 28.6637542)

Look this is PB.

The thing that occurred to me, similar to that aside, was going to be - I hope the boundary commission is in statute before Armageddon, else those Labour city seats are going to take a pummelling.

I think HY is doing his usual over sincere election analysis and similarly finding Tory advantage in apocalypse.

Perhaps we could feed it all into Electoral Calculus :)
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

"atrocities mount up"

It is an invasion. For reasons that are legitimate to Putin, if not us. "Atrocities" is what happens. NATO and the US have already made clear that they are not going to become involved militarily in Ukraine. So that leaves economic sanctions.

Or what would you do.
    Get him on the back foot for a change. Open NATO accession talks with Azerbaijan. Also pokes a finger in Iran's eye for bonus LOLs.
  • Options
    edited March 2022

Some people!

Becca or Becky?
    ??
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

(50.2518872, 28.6637542)

Look this is PB.

The honourable member for Tristan da Cunha is ticked off by the speaker (who is the MP for the South Pole), the House of Commons sitting on Ascension Island, for calling the member for Pitcairn Island a toad faced cheat for misallocating funding for park benches on Vanuatu.

• Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,800

I've said in the past that ten years seems to be about the maximum term for a leader in a democracy. The further they go beyond that, the worse their decisions tend to get. I did mention Merkel as an exception, but perhaps she wasn't...
    Let's hope Zelensky gets to prove you wrong.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,678

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

(50.2518872, 28.6637542)

Look this is PB.

Only after @hyufd and I had thrashed out whether the by elections were held under FPTP or PR on PB first.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

(50.2518872, 28.6637542)

For example:

Britain Predicts:

I remember when Ed Miliband was walking into 10 Downing Street. Either Boris gets a huge war boost and overrides any party-gate effect. Or he gets replaced in good time for the new PM to settle in and get a honeymoon bounce.

Those.... are not the only possibilities.
    Many people thought 2-3 months ago that Boris was going to get removed, but he wasn't, despite polling showing him becoming a liability. What makes you think the Conservatives will suddenly act differently?
  • Options
    Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

(50.2518872, 28.6637542)

For example:

Britain Predicts:

Many people thought 2-3 months ago that Boris was going to get removed, but he wasn't, despite polling showing him becoming a liability. What makes you think the Conservatives will suddenly act differently?
    Have you spoken to Conservative MPs about this?
  • Options

As I said to Carlotta, it seems like the electorate is slowly aligning between Tory and best positioned non-Tory. That's fine by me. It should worry you though.
    You know that isn't true. At least significantly, in degree.
  • Options
    FossFoss Posts: 694
    algarkirk said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

(50.2518872, 28.6637542)

Look this is PB.

The honourable member for Tristan da Cunha is ticked off by the speaker (who is the MP for the South Pole), the House of Commons sitting on Ascension Island, for calling the member for Pitcairn Island a toad faced cheat for misallocating funding for park benches on Vanuatu.

If that's the worst the member for Pitcairn gets called then he's got off lightly.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Andy_JS said:

Taz said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Taz said:

Walk up fare ?
    Nope booked in advance

True, but I was surprised a pre booked fare was the same price as a walk up.
    There are a limited number of Advance tickets, and once those are sold you'll pay the same as a walkup. Presumably your ticket type is ANYTIME?

Looking now for next Friday, NCL-LEE on the 0655 is £34.60, cheapest return is £37.50 on the 1642. Fridays are generally a bit more expensive than Monday to Thursday, I think. FWIW the off-peak on that journey starts at 0745 so if you don't need to be in Leeds for 9am you have quite a bit more flexibility.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,819

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

(50.2518872, 28.6637542)

Look this is PB.

I wouldn't
    The thing is with the HFUYD “ww3” outcome is that it fails to recognise this is not a black and white conflict.

The direct attack on nuclear power stations is an escalation that will effect us all. This stuff is a direct threat and escalation, and one we cannot simply ignore. By doing nothing - we embolden Putin. Where does he go next?
    It's not WW3 either. Looking at the world map, and looking at Russia's population and GDP, I've started to realise this is much more the post-cold war scenario of the rogue state led by crazed madman with nukes, than it is "WW3".

A few relevant points:

- Russia is not in an equal fight by any stretch of the imagination. It's abundantly clear that in any kind of conventional war it would be overwhelmed by NATO. So the nukes are a blackmail device and deterrent, as used by North Korea and - if they get them - by Iran.
    - There is no threat to the West that we will be overrun and invaded by Russia. The threat is that they take us down with them in a nuclear conflagration
    - If this turned nuclear, the "belligerents" would be limited to NATO and Russia plus a couple of Russian satellite territories like Belarus. The rest of the world would be militarily unaffected. The entire Southern Hemisphere, the entire tropics save one or two atolls like Diego Garcia or Samoa, China, Japan, Korea: all untouched by war
    - The climatological effect would be limited because most of the targets are high latitude in the Northern Hemisphere. As with volcanic eruptions, the biggest effect comes when the explosion is at a tropical latitude and able to reach high into the stratosphere on both sides of the equator.

With enough prior warning, the more judicious and wealthy (no doubt including the Russian oligarchs) could quite safely travel to start new lives in rich developed countries including Chile, Uruguay, UAE, Singapore, Australia, NZ, Japan or Korea. Human life would go on. A large swathe of the Northern Hemisphere would become a mega-scale Chernobyl exclusion zone.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,054

TOPPING said:

Yes he would.
    I suspect there are still the likes of Burgess and Maclean about. Although how anyone can be loyal to the likes of Putin I don't know.
    At least with Communism there was an idealism; misplaced I now realise, but it was above personalities.
    I suspect most human assets are not ideological.
  • Options

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

(50.2518872, 28.6637542)

For example:

Britain Predicts:

Have you spoken to Conservative MPs about this?
    Well, no, I don't know any.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Andy_JS said:

Surely this is the freewheeling Singapore-type country that so many people wanted, indeed voted for. A bonfire of the legislation.
    Does Singapore allow foreigners to have a lot of influence on their country?
  • Options
    edited March 2022

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

(50.2518872, 28.6637542)

I'll choose to focus on the by-election (and train tickets), because Armageddon sick and tired of worrying about Putin...
  • Options
    Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

(50.2518872, 28.6637542)

For example:

Britain Predicts:

Hands up everyone who would like Boris's job right now.

• Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

(50.2518872, 28.6637542)

Look this is PB.

Somebody posted a post apocalypse map of the UK earlier this week. The silver lining for the Conservatives on here was of the circa 30 seats remaining we were in Tory landslide territory. Proof, if it were needed, that God is indeed a Conservative.
    No. God is a Welsh nationalist.

My recollection is that the only Welsh seats to survive nuclear armageddon are the 4 ones with Plaid Cymru MPs. :)

Those of us in the Welsh mountains will be fine. Though it may be a long time before we can visit the glowing embers of South Wales, `
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Applicant said:

Lord Mandelson says hi.
    That kind of whataboutery demeans you
    It's not really whataboutery - more pointing out that reward for failure is an established part of the system (and if I took some time to think I could probably find examples in any government back to at least WWII).

It's risible, but not particularly serious in the grand scheme of things.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

TOPPING said:

Andy_JS said:

Does Singapore allow foreigners to have a lot of influence on their country?
    None whatsoever it is a strictly Confucian state. But not understanding what they were voting for has never usually impeded the British electorate.
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,370
    algarkirk said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

(50.2518872, 28.6637542)

For example:

Britain Predicts:

Hands up everyone who would like Boris's job right now.

One doesn’t want it for one’s self, but if one’s friends and colleagues made it clear it was in the country’s best interests…
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    TimS said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

(50.2518872, 28.6637542)

Look this is PB.

I wouldn't

It's not WW3 either. Looking at the world map, and looking at Russia's population and GDP, I've started to realise this is much more the post-cold war scenario of the rogue state led by crazed madman with nukes, than it is "WW3".

A few relevant points:

- Russia is not in an equal fight by any stretch of the imagination. It's abundantly clear that in any kind of conventional war it would be overwhelmed by NATO. So the nukes are a blackmail device and deterrent, as used by North Korea and - if they get them - by Iran.
    - There is no threat to the West that we will be overrun and invaded by Russia. The threat is that they take us down with them in a nuclear conflagration
    - If this turned nuclear, the "belligerents" would be limited to NATO and Russia plus a couple of Russian satellite territories like Belarus. The rest of the world would be militarily unaffected. The entire Southern Hemisphere, the entire tropics save one or two atolls like Diego Garcia or Samoa, China, Japan, Korea: all untouched by war
    - The climatological effect would be limited because most of the targets are high latitude in the Northern Hemisphere. As with volcanic eruptions, the biggest effect comes when the explosion is at a tropical latitude and able to reach high into the stratosphere on both sides of the equator.

With enough prior warning, the more judicious and wealthy (no doubt including the Russian oligarchs) could quite safely travel to start new lives in rich developed countries including Chile, Uruguay, UAE, Singapore, Australia, NZ, Japan or Korea. Human life would go on. A large swathe of the Northern Hemisphere would become a mega-scale Chernobyl exclusion zone.
    The Falkland Islands suddenly have some appeal. There were some well paid jobs in the government there advertised recently.
  • Options
    Too improve your morning...

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=30243865986

Synopsis:
    What can the rise and reign of this century's most feared politician teach us about life, work and love? Rob Sears shows how the machinations that enabled Putin to dominate the Kremlin and undermine the United States of America could also help you take control of your mundane life. How would you like to ruin your enemies by sharing compromising material about that time they didn't wash their hands? Or annex territory by claiming the stationery cupboard at work as your personal empire? Fancy hacking democracy at the parent-teacher association to ensure you're a shoo-in for social secretary? Or serving up a cold dish called revenge in a high street restaurant?

Filled with stories from Putin's extraordinary time in power, and ideas and illustrations to help you emulate him on a small scale, Vladimir Putin: Life Coach is the ultimate guide to releasing the pseudo-elected, judo black belt, 5D chess-playing autocrat inside each and every one of us.

Book Description:
    Be the dictator you've always dreamed of being with this handy guide to life and everyday success inspired by everyone's favourite autocrat. An ideal stocking filler
  • Options
    darkage said:

Dura_Ace said:

darkage said:

Well, personally I'm hoping that
    TimS said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

(50.2518872, 28.6637542)

Look this is PB.

I wouldn't

A few relevant points:

The Falkland Islands suddenly have some appeal. There were some well paid jobs in the government there advertised recently.
    In the event of Britain being dealt a crippling blow, you'd soon find yourself living under Argentina occupation.
  • Options
    darkage said:

TimS said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

(50.2518872, 28.6637542)

Look this is PB.

I wouldn't

A few relevant points:

Seriously thinking about visiting family in Thailand!
  • Options

I agree with David Owen that there is a syndrome that politicians acquire after too much time in office - physical illness has it's effects, but there is something more there.

He calls it the 'hubristic syndrome'

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/041377662X/
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,589
    edited March 2022
    Andy_JS said:

And guess who provides 'butler' services in the UK to the global super rich? Yes, none other than Quintessentially, Ben Elliot's concierge company:
    https://quintessentially.com/
    By sheer coincidence, Ben Elliott is co-Chairman of the Tory Party and its key fundraiser. Even more coincidentally, Quintessentially has recently removed from its website all the links that it used to have lauding its special bespoke services for Russian clients.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Sandpit said:

right wing Tories Putin apologists? Name names....
    The ones taking their (former) membership of Conservative Friends of Russia off their CVs...
  • Options
    Farooq said:

darkage said:

Dura_Ace said:

darkage said:

TimS said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

(50.2518872, 28.6637542)

Look this is PB.

I wouldn't

A few relevant points:

In the event of Britain being dealt a crippling blow, you'd soon find yourself living under Argentina occupation.
    Farooq said:

darkage said:

Dura_Ace said:

darkage said:

TimS said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

(50.2518872, 28.6637542)

Look this is PB.

I wouldn't

A few relevant points:

I think I would be beyond caring, by that point.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,735

MattW said:

MattW said:

As Russia is trying to cut off the flow of information in Ukraine by attacking its communications infrastructure, the British news outlet BBC is revisiting a broadcasting tactic popularized during World War II: shortwave radio.

NY Times

Fuck you Nadine Dorries.

I’ve got a decent quality shortwave radio, with battery supply periodically refreshed. In the case of war, or significant disruption of infrastructure by hostile power (more likely), it is probably the only robust communication reception technology.

We frequently receive messages from the Swedish Civil Contingencies Agency (MSB) with quite a long list of things to have at home. The government clearly considers that significant disruption to food, water, telecommunications and electricity supply is fairly likely within the foreseeable future. It is one reason why I will definitely not be buying two electric cars: one of them must have an internal combustion engine. (Picking up our first ever EV later this morning. Yippee!)
    Is that this leaflet (genuine interest):

One page extracted from "If crisis or war comes":
    https://www.msb.se/siteassets/dokument/amnesomraden/krisberedskap-och-civilt-forsvar/stod-till-kommuner/krisberedskapsveckan/broschyren-pa-olika-sprak/if-crisis-or-war-comes.pdf

Yes, although we get messages from them in a wide range of marketing channels and methods.

Note the last one: full tank. I never let my fuel gauge go below 50%. I swing in to a pump when it gets close. (The kids of course take full advantage and always return the bloody cars empty! 😄 I still love them.)
    Thanks.

The previous page was interesting - intrigued by "Blueberry and Rosehip Soup".

Great stuff. Nipponsoppa (rosehip ”soup”, in reality very thick juice) is an absolute classic of Swedish husmanskost (everyday food). It is essential for long-distance ski events, eg Vasaloppet.

It’s funny how different nations go for different flavourings. Swedes for example love pear-flavoured everything (yoghurt, juice, milkshakes, sweeties etc etc etc), whereas in English speaking markets that doesn’t seem to be a biggie.

Only problem with rosehip and blaeberry soups are that they are full of sugar.
    Are rosehips and blueberries things that you can go and forage?

Or is it in bulk from suppliers?

I did wild bilberry jam last year (and also from blueberries grown at home) - great stuff but quite hard labour.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,028
    Regarding the assets of Russians in the UK this is an interesting comment - as I don't ever remember David posting anything without checking

davidallengreen
    @davidallengreen
    The sanction-specialist lawyers I have spoken to do not understand the government's delay here

They know how quickly the government can act, when it wants to
  • Options

Also, I'm not sure that the result bears it out. Obviously the reduced turnout complicates the calcluations, but it looks to me like the direct swing from "the right" to "the left" outweighed movement within "the left".

(Con/Ref 38.0 (-6.2); Lab/TUSC/Grn/LD 60.0 (+4.2) with Lab alone +5.2)
  • Options
    Totally o/t again ..... displacement activity ..... I went to a u3a interest group meeting yesterday. The 'leader' was away having been in contact with, Covid sufferers, and the replacement reported having had it recently. Recently enough to be just out of quarantine.
    So it's still about!
    No-one had been 'ill' for long though. All triple vaxxed, of course.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,871
    eek said:

Regarding the assets of Russians in the UK this is an interesting comment - as I don't ever remember David posting anything without checking

davidallengreen
    @davidallengreen
    The sanction-specialist lawyers I have spoken to do not understand the government's delay here

They know how quickly the government can act, when it wants to

Are they a bit dim? All they need to know to understand the delay is to have read about the £££ flowing from ex Putin cronies to the Tory party.
  • Options
    edited March 2022

Andy_JS said:

And guess who provides 'butler' services in the UK to the global super rich? Yes, none other than Quintessentially, Ben Elliot's concierge company:
    https://quintessentially.com/
    By sheer coincidence, Ben Elliott is co-Chairman of the Tory Party and its key fundraiser. Even more coincidentally, Quintessentially has recently removed from its website all the links that it used to have lauding its special bespoke services for Russian clients.
    What was the big problem of making London welcoming to Russians. The article says it has been going on for 30 years. Unless at that time and since we should have spotted Putin as a wrong 'un. Which would no doubt have fed into his everyone hates us we don't care mentality we are seeing today.

Don't forget that almost as soon as the Berlin War came down there were suggestions that Russia should join NATO. Both Gorbachev and Putin suggested it.

I would be interested to know how the history books might treat the immediate dismissal of such an idea.
  • Options
    MattW said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

As Russia is trying to cut off the flow of information in Ukraine by attacking its communications infrastructure, the British news outlet BBC is revisiting a broadcasting tactic popularized during World War II: shortwave radio.

NY Times

Fuck you Nadine Dorries.

I’ve got a decent quality shortwave radio, with battery supply periodically refreshed. In the case of war, or significant disruption of infrastructure by hostile power (more likely), it is probably the only robust communication reception technology.

We frequently receive messages from the Swedish Civil Contingencies Agency (MSB) with quite a long list of things to have at home. The government clearly considers that significant disruption to food, water, telecommunications and electricity supply is fairly likely within the foreseeable future. It is one reason why I will definitely not be buying two electric cars: one of them must have an internal combustion engine. (Picking up our first ever EV later this morning. Yippee!)
    Is that this leaflet (genuine interest):

One page extracted from "If crisis or war comes":
    https://www.msb.se/siteassets/dokument/amnesomraden/krisberedskap-och-civilt-forsvar/stod-till-kommuner/krisberedskapsveckan/broschyren-pa-olika-sprak/if-crisis-or-war-comes.pdf

Yes, although we get messages from them in a wide range of marketing channels and methods.

Note the last one: full tank. I never let my fuel gauge go below 50%. I swing in to a pump when it gets close. (The kids of course take full advantage and always return the bloody cars empty! 😄 I still love them.)
    Thanks.

The previous page was interesting - intrigued by "Blueberry and Rosehip Soup".

Great stuff. Nipponsoppa (rosehip ”soup”, in reality very thick juice) is an absolute classic of Swedish husmanskost (everyday food). It is essential for long-distance ski events, eg Vasaloppet.

It’s funny how different nations go for different flavourings. Swedes for example love pear-flavoured everything (yoghurt, juice, milkshakes, sweeties etc etc etc), whereas in English speaking markets that doesn’t seem to be a biggie.

Only problem with rosehip and blaeberry soups are that they are full of sugar.
    Are rosehips and blueberries things that you can go and forage?

Or is it in bulk from suppliers?

I did wild bilberry jam last year (and also from blueberries grown at home) - great stuff but quite hard labour.
    Not as rewarding as sloe gin, though?
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

"atrocities mount up"

Or what would you do.
    Exactly. Biden has made clear he will not take military action in Ukraine, as has Boris and Macron.

The polls are quite clear too that a majority of Tory, Labour and LD voters support economic sanctions on Russia but oppose sending troops to Ukraine or a no fly zone
  • Options

Belarus must be waking up this morning less than delighted at the prospect of Chernobyl 2. Putin' goons seem quite relaxed about making Minsk uninhabitable, so long as it means they win in Ukraine.

Think on't, Belarus. You are being rewarded for your loyalty to Putin by THIS?

Good point. Not only could Russia be left dealing with a, to say the least, disenchanted population in occupied Ukraine but facing an insurrection in Belarus too. No-one doubts the ability of Putin to suppress dissent but it could be a real firestorm particularly with an economic crisis to contend with as well.

Ultimately will depend on the determination of the West to maintain and intensify sanctions over a long period. I'm guessing Putin is pretty sceptical about the decadent West doing that.
    Whilst not easy to access, I imagine that the hard man of Belarus would be easier to take out than Putin. It could be a hugely destabilising event in Belarus, throwing confusion into the armed forces and buggering up Putin's war plan in Ukraine.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

(50.2518872, 28.6637542)

Look this is PB.

I believe the Tories would still have a majority in the few seats with some population left after a nuclear war someone calculated. Though new candidates needed
    I am speechless
This discussion has been closed.