Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

April’s French election looks set to be Macron vs Le Pen once again – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,009
    BBC Radio Five Live: firefighters trying to put out the flames are being shot at by Russian troops.
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,370
    Leon said:

biggles said:

Full fat sanctions. Everything we’ve held back. No other choice.

Putin is mad enough to do this to every Ukrainian nuclear power station. Deprive the country of electricity, heat, light. He wins in hours
    Yup. But we keep going after he conquers them. No forgetting and moving on.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,555
    Andy_JS said:

BBC Radio Five Live: firefighters trying to put out the flames are being shot at by Russian troops.

Jesus Christ. At this stage I am pretty sure Putin is TRYING to draw NATO into direct conflict. Because he knows he’s fucked up
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,902
    edited March 2022
    Looks like Biden and Johnson spoke to Zelenskyy while it was ongoing, for now it looks like any serious threat of a meltdown has been averted. UNSC meeting in the coming hours.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    Chameleon said:

Looks like Biden and Johnson spoke to Zelenskyy while it was ongoing, for now it looks like any serious threat of a meltdown has been averted. UNSC meeting in the coming hours.

Interesting that Zelenskyy always seems to phone Boris.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,829
    rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

UK ambassador to Poland really struggling to defend her government’s refugee asylum policy on Newsnight.

Why should she?
    I’ve no real interest in that question.
    But it was embarrassing to watch her repeating government lines as answers to direct questions about the poverty of our response compared to that in Europe.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    biggles said:

If, in December 2019 I had posted about a two year long global pandemic that resulted in us all being confided to our houses for months, followed by a large scale Russian invasion of Ukraine incorporating (god I hope this doesn’t happen) a nuclear meltdown of the largest plant in Europe, I think one or two might have said I was nuts.

To sound extra nuts you could have told us that under these conditions the Dow Jones would be up 15%.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,829
    Chameleon said:

Perhaps, but there is a potential ongoing problem until normality is restored.
    Even shutting the reactors down doesn’t appear to ensure safety.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/mar/04/ukraine-nuclear-power-plant-fire-zaporizhzhia-russian-shelling
    … Mariana Budjeryn, an Ukrainian expert at the project on managing the atom at Harvard University’s Belfer Center said: “Saying that a reactor building is hit doesn’t tell us much, because the most vulnerable [part of] this is the electricity and water supply.”

“If the electricity is taken out, the back-up generators kick in, but if those don’t kick in or their diesel fuel is set on fire, for example, the pumps can’t pump cold water into the reactor and into the spent fuel pools. That’s necessary to keep the nuclear reaction moderated. Otherwise the water will boil out and the core will go critical and explode,” Budjeryn said.

She said confinement chambers were designed to withstand some level of impact and could stop the release of radiation even if the core exploded.

She warned however that the pools holding spent fuel rods could be more of a worry. “The fuel there is not as active, but they are usually overstuffed,” Budjeryn said. Less active but more tightly packed material was also dangerous if the cooling system fails, she said.

“And spent fuel pools are not covered by hardened concrete confinement chambers,” Budjeryn added.…
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,402
    It does sound as if the fire is now under control, the fighting has stopped and the management are comfortable that they have control of the reactors. But a significant strategic weakness has been exposed here. If Ukraine loses 25-30% of its power generation resistance in the cities is going to be next to impossible.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,075
    Putin will see a nuclear reactor blowing as no bad thing. He has no care about radiation pollution - which is why he has been developing the 9M730 Burevestnik, which has radioactive exhaust.

Apparently the prevailing winds in Ukraine are easterly / southeasterly, so that means that any pollution caused by a reactor blowing would end up over Europe. The enemy.

Is he wanting to weaponise Chernobyl? To me, it looks like he does...
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    Okay, nuclear power stations now. Really Putin?

Thankfully this one is much newer and better designed, than the infamous old one in northern Ukraine.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,071
    DavidL said:

It does sound as if the fire is now under control, the fighting has stopped and the management are comfortable that they have control of the reactors. But a significant strategic weakness has been exposed here. If Ukraine loses 25-30% of its power generation resistance in the cities is going to be next to impossible.

Tosh.

It will be extremely unpleasant for the denizens of Kyiv or Lviv, or wherever. But no power is unpleasant, not fatal.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,071

Putin will see a nuclear reactor blowing as no bad thing. He has no care about radiation pollution - which is why he has been developing the 9M730 Burevestnik, which has radioactive exhaust.

Apparently the prevailing winds in Ukraine are easterly / southeasterly, so that means that any pollution caused by a reactor blowing would end up over Europe. The enemy.

Aren't prevailing winds - due to the rotation of the earth - generally Easterly... meaning heading towards the East... meaning heading towards Russia?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Aren't prevailing winds - due to the rotation of the earth - generally Easterly... meaning heading towards the East... meaning heading towards Russia?
    Ooops, I may have got that the wrong way around...
    Blame lack of caffeine. Or the fact I;m an idiot...
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146

As Russia is trying to cut off the flow of information in Ukraine by attacking its communications infrastructure, the British news outlet BBC is revisiting a broadcasting tactic popularized during World War II: shortwave radio.

NY Times

Fuck you Nadine Dorries.

I’ve got a decent quality shortwave radio, with battery supply periodically refreshed. In the case of war, or significant disruption of infrastructure by hostile power (more likely), it is probably the only robust communication reception technology.

We frequently receive messages from the Swedish Civil Contingencies Agency (MSB) with quite a long list of things to have at home. The government clearly considers that significant disruption to food, water, telecommunications and electricity supply is fairly likely within the foreseeable future. It is one reason why I will definitely not be buying two electric cars: one of them must have an internal combustion engine. (Picking up our first ever EV later this morning. Yippee!)
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981

rcs1000 said:

An easterly wind blows FROM the east towards the west,
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Actually, I may not:

"In spring the baric field changes. In the north, east, and south, the easterly and southeasterly winds prevail, in the west – northwesterly and westerly, while in the southwest – southerly and southeasterly."

http://wdc.org.ua/atlas/en/4080100.htm
  • Options

As Russia is trying to cut off the flow of information in Ukraine by attacking its communications infrastructure, the British news outlet BBC is revisiting a broadcasting tactic popularized during World War II: shortwave radio.

NY Times

Fuck you Nadine Dorries.

I’ve got a decent quality shortwave radio, with battery supply periodically refreshed. In the case of war, or significant disruption of infrastructure by hostile power (more likely), it is probably the only robust communication reception technology.
    I have a tinfoil hat :D
  • Options
    How long before Germany reverses the decision to abandon nuclear power?

Our opposition to nuclear power is one of my main gripes with my political party.
  • Options

NY Times

Fuck you Nadine Dorries.

Do you have a wee stockpile at home Bev?

Bottled water?
    A generator?
    Creme eggs?
  • Options
    I’ll start worrying when I can listen to Sean’s whining on shortwave. PB forever, into the abyss…
  • Options
    Ukraine requests postponement of their World Cup qualifier in Glasgow on 24 March.

Seems the only reasonable course of action.

https://www.scottishdailyexpress.co.uk/news/scottish-news/tartan-army-launch-fundraising-bid-26110799
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Yeah, I think I was correct in the first place. Oh well. Normal service will soon be resumed...
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,207
    Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Jesus Christ. At this stage I am pretty sure Putin is TRYING to draw NATO into direct conflict. Because he knows he’s fucked up
    One could argue they are trying to cut off the electricity, but I agree with you. Primarily this is about trying to draw NATO into acting.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,281
    rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Tosh.

It will be extremely unpleasant for the denizens of Kyiv or Lviv, or wherever. But no power is unpleasant, not fatal.
    I believe a lot of oldies and/or vulnerable have stayed put, understandably; no power may be fatal to a lot of them at the tail end of a Ukrainian winter. To be callous that may not affect resistance of course..
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,472

rcs1000 said:

Yeah, I think I was correct in the first place. Oh well. Normal service will soon be resumed...
    In winter (January), two zones are distinguished in the distribution of the prevailing wind direction, which lie on either side of the Voyekov axis. North of the axis the wind with a western component is observed, and south of the axis prevails the wind with an eastern component (northeasterly, easterly, and southeasterly), and in the east – the northerly wind.

In spring the baric field changes and as a result winds of different directions are observed. In the north, east, and south, the easterly and southeasterly winds prevail, in the west – northwesterly and westerly, while in the southwest – southerly and southeasterly. In March, an average monthly speed has the same values as in winter, from April the wind begins to abate to 2–5 m/s.
  • Options
    Concerning that troops on the ground followed the order to shell the power station. Perhaps they didn’t realise what they were doing, but they could easily have killed themselves doing it.

It’s accepted that Vlad is mad, but I thought those beneath him might at least have some understanding of how dangerous this all is.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Tosh.

I believe a lot of oldies and/or vulnerable have stayed put, understandably; no power may be fatal to a lot of them at the tail end of a Ukrainian winter. To be callous that may not affect resistance of course..
    March can be pretty grim in that part of the world.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,801
    I have to say that I am finding it difficult to think clearly about the situation in Ukraine. My overwhelming emotion is of rage towards the Russian regime. It is similar to the emotion felt towards the UK government with their war on Iraq in 2003, and towards various terrorist bombings that have taken place over the years. The difference is that this is one that directly affects us, could result in our annihilation, and is something that we have no control over.

I am not a pacifist and understand that sometimes we need to go to war. We need to go to war now with Putin, but we know that we cannot, without destroying western civilisation, because of nuclear weapons. It is just an unbearable moral dilemma with no answer.
  • Options

NY Times

Fuck you Nadine Dorries.

Do you have a wee stockpile at home Bev?

Bottled water?
    A generator?
    Creme eggs?
    I do not have creme eggs, but we DO have a generator :D
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    darkage said:

I have to say that I am finding it difficult to think clearly about the situation in Ukraine. My overwhelming emotion is of rage towards the Russian regime. It is similar to the emotion felt towards the UK government with their war on Iraq in 2003, and towards various terrorist bombings that have taken place over the years. The difference is that this is one that directly affects us, could result in our annihilation, and is something that we have no control over.

I am not a pacifist and understand that sometimes we need to go to war. We need to go to war now with Putin, but we know that we cannot, without destroying western civilisation, because of nuclear weapons. It is just an unbearable moral dilemma with no answer.

The only answer is the fall of Putin. The hope is someone sane replaces him.
    That has been the only answer from day one.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,010
    Good morning, everyone.

Vlad the Mad is off his bloody head.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,141
    darkage said:

Perhaps we simply need to stop all forms of trade with Russia now.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,418
    That's a good result by Labour. 4.5% swing is less than the national voting intention polls but good for West Midlands.

And no sign of a Ukraine uplift for Johnson.

I predict that the opposite will slowly happen: that the Ukraine will damage the tories. This is partly because Putin is pulverising Ukraine and (ultimately) winning. And secondly because of all the dirty Russian money sluicing around in the tory party coffers.
  • Options
    darkage said:

I think we have to do it. But we won't.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

No. He isn't trying to do that. He's pulverising Ukraine which is fine by him: he is getting pretty much what he wanted. He knows NATO is too wary to stand up to him so he is getting away with it.
  • Options
    There was a good interview with Roger Moorhouse, a historian, on Triggernometry yesterday. The insight that struck me was the idea that Putins regime in Russia is simply a rogue state. The error we made was to ever consider it otherwise.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,141
    Heathener said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

No. He isn't trying to do that. He's pulverising Ukraine which is fine by him: he is getting pretty much what he wanted. He knows NATO is too wary to stand up to him so he is getting away with it.
    It is very much not a wise thing to be wanting, to be in precarious military occupation of part of a country of 44 million people, and to do it in such a way that its population will have undying hatred for you in their hearts, and will have near unanimous moral and material support from the rest of the world in fighting against you.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,095
    Heathener said:

That's a good result by Labour. 4.5% swing is less than the national voting intention polls but good for West Midlands.

I predict that the opposite will slowly happen: that the Ukraine will damage the tories. This is partly because Putin is pulverising Ukraine and (ultimately) winning. And secondly because of all the dirty Russian money sluicing around in the tory party coffers.

Aye the Midlands is full of whoppers so decent result for Labour really
  • Options
    Nads' voice breaking as she praises journos and the BBC for their work in Ukraine. The hypocritical old bag fair brought a lump of something to my throat.
  • Options

Heathener said:

Aye the Midlands is full of whoppers so decent result for Labour really
    The whopper vote is a vital voter segment to be appealed to.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

I don't think anyone has ever graduated from the University of Putinology quite so quickly! Congratulations. Especially coming so soon after that bad fail at your first attempt.
  • Options
    Lib Dems came sixth in Erdington. :lol:
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

I am not convinced NATO joining in is wise. This is not just because of the risk of nuclear war.
    The analogy I am thinking of is post 9/11. The world was united in dealing with Afghanistan. The error came when we tried to go further by invading Iraq, for which there was little support.
    So it is with Russia. The world is united in condemning Russia, but that would not extend to military intervention in Ukraine by NATO, which feeds in to Russias 'two sides' argument.
    Goes back to the idea that we should leave the Russian regime to reveal its true nature. Starve it to death, rather than fighting it.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,413
    philiph said:

darkage said:

I don't wish to sound flippant, but actually what you've just said is there is no answer.
  • Options
    On a train to Leeds from Newcastle. £96 it cost!
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,245
    tlg86 said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

One could argue they are trying to cut off the electricity, but I agree with you. Primarily this is about trying to draw NATO into acting.
    If NATO became actively engaged in Ukraine, every Russian division would be destroyed, as quickly as Putin could press gang fresh boys into service. If Putin escalated the war to firing on NATO bases flying sorties, NATO could crush every base within 100 miles of the Ukrainian border without blinking. If Putin launched a nuke or nukes, then he like the rest of us loses the game entirely.

If his strategy really is to draw the West in to a fight to retrospectively justify his war, one has to assume he has gone full cuckoo and his goal is universal oblivion.

I don’t think that’s true. I think he knows he can’t hold Ukraine and make it a stable part of mother Russia, so his goal is to make it an ungovernable mess so the West can’t have it either.
  • Options
    darkage said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

I am not convinced NATO joining in is wise. This is not just because of the risk of nuclear war.
    The analogy I am thinking of is post 9/11. The world was united in dealing with Afghanistan. The error came when we tried to go further by invading Iraq, for which there was little support.
    So it is with Russia. The world is united in condemning Russia, but that would not extend to military intervention in Ukraine by NATO, which feeds in to Russias 'two sides' argument.
    Goes back to the idea that we should leave the Russian regime to reveal its true nature. Starve it to death, rather than fighting it.
    It will respond to starvation claiming it is a malicious act of war againt the Russian people justifying any aggresive actions it takes on those grounds.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Evidence that they maintained the unofficial agreement with Labour not to tread on each others' toes, and that voters got the message.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

philiph said:

darkage said:

I don't wish to sound flippant, but actually what you've just said is there is no answer.
    I know
  • Options

It used to cost many millions to buy a train.
    Severe deflation?
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

Vlad the Mad is off his bloody head.

TBF Mr Dancer, that has been painfully apparent for some weeks.

The worry is that there are even worse people than him in his government.

Things are almost unimaginably bad now, but imagine (if possible) what they would be like with Lavrov in charge.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Ian, cut the Ad hominem.

Ta.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

tlg86 said:

Evidence that they maintained the unofficial agreement with Labour not to tread on each others' toes, and that voters got the message.
    In all seriousness, why bother standing? In 2015, the Lib Dems lost 342 deposits (£171,000) and even in 2019 they lost 157 deposits (£78,500). Why not just save the money?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,789
    Russia is starting to roll out blocks for Apple and Google mobile app stores, Facebook, Twitter and a variety of foreign media sites. Blocking is not yet fully effective but I am sure they will figure it out…

Great Firewall coming to RU

https://twitter.com/dalperovitch/status/1499635215697911810?s=21
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

IanB2 said:

tlg86 said:

In all seriousness, why bother standing? In 2015, the Lib Dems lost 342 deposits (£171,000) and even in 2019 they lost 157 deposits (£78,500). Why not just save the money?
    Stand in less seats and get less TV coverage?
  • Options

Russia is starting to roll out blocks for Apple and Google mobile app stores, Facebook, Twitter and a variety of foreign media sites. Blocking is not yet fully effective but I am sure they will figure it out…

Putin is making a Korea out of suppressing information.

If he has any more episodes like last night it will be a very short career...
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,150
    tlg86 said:

IanB2 said:

tlg86 said:

Because one of their principal claims to prominence is that they are not a network of local pressure groups, but a national party. If they stop standing nationally, that USP is gone and it becomes harder and harder to build back up.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,090

Chameleon said:

Think you are dreaming , it will be fatso phoning him trying to get his big mush public and get awaty from the fact that he is a lying cheating crooked no user.
  • Options
    BBC:

Russian troops have seized the Zaporizhzhia nuclear power plant, the Ukrainian authorities say.

"Operational personnel are monitoring the condition of power units," a local authority said on social media, quoted by Reuters news agency.

Station personnel continue to work and monitor the state of the power units, it said.

A fire broke out at the plant earlier - Europe's largest - after a Russian shelling attack.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-europe-60532634
  • Options
    The point is that Putin has gone doolally. He was always evil but now has has gone crazed. The west first really saw it during that bizarre one hour rant to the nation. Some people are suggesting covid may be to blame for sending him over the edge into full tonto. Who knows?

So NATO and the west are sitting idly by whilst an entire nation is pulverised. We've tinkered with some sanctions here, some assets there, but Putin won't care much about those.

In a couple of years he will turn his attention to the next country on his list, all the while bringing the Russian people on board with his propaganda machine.

And we sit by.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,307

Walk up fare ?
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,871

Intriguing to see if both the Russian establishment and the population are willing to go to a permanent North Korea status
  • Options

Nads' voice breaking as she praises journos and the BBC for their work in Ukraine. The hypocritical old bag fair brought a lump of something to my throat.

The BBC method of funding is out of date and needs changing. She is right about that.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,090
    Chris said:

darkage said:

Perhaps we simply need to stop all forms of trade with Russia now.
    LOL, as if the Tories will cut off their money supply, we will get hot air from them but in reality they will still be filling their boots, luckily they have plenty of tax havens to keep laundry going.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Chameleon said:

Think you are dreaming , it will be fatso phoning him trying to get his big mush public and get awaty from the fact that he is a lying cheating crooked no user.
    Yeah, Zelenshky phones everyone.

Johnson doesn't come out of this well, especially given the stinking Putin dirty money sloshing around in tory coffers. No western leader comes out of this well, with the possible exception of Ursula von der Leyen and Olaf Scholz by virtue of the fact that they have actually moved their positions and changed according to Putin's madness.

But really this is an abject and utter failure of the west and by the west.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Heathener said:

The point is that Putin has gone doolally. He was always evil but now has has gone crazed. The west first really saw it during that bizarre one hour rant to the nation. Some people are suggesting covid may be to blame for sending him over the edge into full tonto. Who knows?

So NATO and the west are sitting idly by whilst an entire nation is pulverised. We've tinkered with some sanctions here, some assets there, but Putin won't care much about those.

In a couple of years he will turn his attention to the next country on his list, all the while bringing the Russian people on board with his propaganda machine.

And we sit by.

You complain about ad hominems and use mental health slurs.

We are not sitting by. Listen to people like you and you’d think we are doing nothing.

A no fly zone and a Third World War is not on the agenda at the moment. Quite right too.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Taz said:

Walk up fare ?
    Nope booked in advance (return)
  • Options
    Taz said:

Walk up fare ?
    Last September I went from Leeds to Newcastle for £12 so I'm guessing Gallowgate went at peak time with, as you say, a walk on fare.
  • Options

Taz said:

Walk up fare ?
    Nope booked in advance
    Peak fare then. Did you try to split the ticket?

And when you say 'advance' you probably didn't get an actual Advance fare.

£96 for that journey is ridiculous. I'm sorry for you. That sucks.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Taz said:

Walk up fare ?
    Nope booked in advance

Luckily my employer is paying but good grief. Would cost £20-£30 in petrol tops to get there.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Heathener said:

And we sit by.

We are not sitting by. Listen to people like you and you’d think we are doing nothing.

A no fly zone and a Third World War is not on the agenda at the moment. Quite right too.
    We are doing bugger all, effectively. Absolutely zilch to stop him pulverising an entire nation.

'Mental health slurs'? Wtf? I know more about mental ill health than probably anyone on this forum, thanks. And this is not a slur it's a genuine point. Many commentators and some experts believe that Putin has become mentally ill: deranged.

"Putin's mental health questioned by a growing number of experts"

https://www.foxnews.com/us/has-russian-president-vladimir-putin-lost-mind

See also:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2022/03/01/vladimir-putin-sick-covid-russia-ukraine-invasion-illness

https://news.yahoo.com/ill-unhinged-calculating-russias-putin-000321682.html

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2022-02-28/russia-putin-behavior-mental-health

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/fears-paranoid-putin-lost-mind-26340870
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,150
    According to the BBC "Ukraine’s State Emergency Services said there were no victims from the fire, which didn’t affect the reactor sites but a nearby five-storey training site"
  • Options

Heathener said:

Taz said:

Walk up fare ?
    Nope booked in advance

Luckily my employer is paying but good grief. Would cost £20-£30 in petrol tops to get there.
    I also note the train is fairly empty. Wonder why
  • Options
    I think Condoleezza Rice's point is spot on. Putin changed in the past two months.

"I met with him many times, and this is a different Putin," she said on Fox News Sunday. "He was always calculating and cold, but this is different. He seems erratic. There is an ever deepening, delusional rendering of history."

• Options
    Gary_BurtonGary_Burton Posts: 737
    I predicted the Labour share more or less bang on like the Old Bexley and Sidcup by election but that is also a very creditable Con performance.

When was the last time Con+Lab got over 90% combined in a by election?
  • Options
    Institute for Government explainer on sanctions:

https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/explainers/sanctions
  • Options

Heathener said:

Taz said:

Walk up fare ?
    Nope booked in advance

I also note the train is fairly empty. Wonder why
    It's another of the many reasons I may move abroad. The train fares in the UK are ridiculously expensive. £96 for your journey of, what, 90 miles. That's awful.
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,422

Heathener said:

Taz said:

Walk up fare ?
    Nope booked in advance

Normally its the solicitors that overcharge not get overcharged !
  • Options
    edited March 2022

but that is also a very creditable Con performance.

In a West Midlands seat where tories are supposed to be at their best, which was the biggest LEAVE seat in the region (63% to 36%), I don't think a 4.5% swing to Labour is remotely creditable.

Labour GE victory nailed on!
  • Options
    Heathener said:

malcolmg said:

Chameleon said:

Johnson doesn't come out of this well, especially given the stinking Putin dirty money sloshing around in tory coffers. No western leader comes out of this well, with the possible exception of Ursula von der Leyen and Olaf Scholz by virtue of the fact that they have actually moved their positions and changed according to Putin's madness.

Once again Johnson has trapped himself with his inability to resist over-selling what he is doing to attract media attention, and then under-delivering. Brexit appears to have given us the 'freedom' to do less and move less quickly against Russian money than the EU.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Heathener said:

malcolmg said:

Chameleon said:

Once again Johnson has trapped himself with his inability to resist over-selling what he is doing to attract media attention, and then under-delivering. Brexit appears to have given us the 'freedom' to do less and move less quickly against Russian money than the EU.
    Spot on
  • Options

Heathener said:

Taz said:

Walk up fare ?
    Nope booked in advance

Normally its the solicitors that overcharge not get overcharged !
    Yea unfortunately it’s not a disbursement for a client to pay. :D
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Taz said:

Heathener said:

And we sit by.

We are doing bugger all, effectively. Absolutely zilch to stop him pulverising an entire nation.

'Mental health slurs'? Wtf? I know more about mental ill health than probably anyone on this forum, thanks. And this is not a slur it's a genuine point. Many commentators and some experts believe that Putin has become mentally ill: deranged.

See also:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2022/03/01/vladimir-putin-sick-covid-russia-ukraine-invasion-illness

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2022-02-28/russia-putin-behavior-mental-health

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/fears-paranoid-putin-lost-mind-26340870
    Terms like doolally and tonto are perjorative terms. There are ways of phrasing concerns about someone’s mental health.

I’m sorry you have had mental health issues. There’s a lot of it about. My wife was in tears this morning at the whole sorry situation in Ukraine.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,735

NY Times

Fuck you Nadine Dorries.

We frequently receive messages from the Swedish Civil Contingencies Agency (MSB) with quite a long list of things to have at home. The government clearly considers that significant disruption to food, water, telecommunications and electricity supply is fairly likely within the foreseeable future. It is one reason why I will definitely not be buying two electric cars: one of them must have an internal combustion engine. (Picking up our first ever EV later this morning. Yippee!)
    Is that this leaflet (genuine interest):

One page extracted from "If crisis or war comes":
    https://www.msb.se/siteassets/dokument/amnesomraden/krisberedskap-och-civilt-forsvar/stod-till-kommuner/krisberedskapsveckan/broschyren-pa-olika-sprak/if-crisis-or-war-comes.pdf

• Options
    Heathener said:

In a West Midlands seat where tories are supposed to be at their best, which was the biggest LEAVE seat in the region (63% to 36%), I don't think a 4.5% swing to Labour is remotely creditable.

I'm not sure that either the man on the street (is that epression now disallowed?) or the person with or without a cervix on the Clapham omnibus is fixated on Brexit this week. Two years of covid and impending obliteration may have dulled the Brexit salience.
  • Options
    Good luck getting Worldle today! :tongue:
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    I'm heading out but I also want to check this self-satisfied back slapping that some on here come out with. This is delusional.

We are doing nothing at all to prevent Putin pulverising Ukraine. And that is all that matters. Sanctions, asset seizing, western unity all sound good to our own ears. Putin won't care about them right now.

All that matters to him is that his forces are pulverising Ukraine into the ground.

And we watch on.

Don't kid yourselves that this is anything other than Putin getting his way.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,097
    Heathener said:

I'm heading out but I also want to check this self-satisfied back slapping that some on here come out with. This is delusional.

We are doing nothing at all to prevent Putin pulverising Ukraine. And that is all that matters. Sanctions, asset seizing, western unity all sound good to our own ears. Putin won't care about them right now.

All that matters to him is that his forces are pulverising Ukraine into the ground.

And we watch on.

Don't kid yourselves that this is anything other than Putin getting his way.

We are also arming and supplying Ukraine
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,833
    edited March 2022
    Heathener said:

Minority Lab government with Lab on 295, SNP on 55, LD on 19, Con on 257 on this projection. Seat by seat projection map, not sure on which boundaries though.

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/elections/2022/01/britain-predicts

A solid but unspectacular result for Lab in Erdington.
  • Options
    BREAKING: Moscow Stock Exchange to remain closed until Wednesday - Interfax

https://twitter.com/BNONews/status/1499650309861351424
  • Options
    Taz said:

Heathener said:

Taz said:

Heathener said:

And we sit by.

See also:

Terms like doolally and tonto are perjorative terms.
    I appreciate your response (genuinely) but surely those terms are not inappropriate for Vladimir Putin? Were he admitted to a psychiatric unit for treatment I would be the first to advise correct professional terminology.

But to a madman obliterating an entire nation and threatening to nuke the world? Any pejorative term is surely okay? If you prefer then I suggest that he is displaying signs of paranoid delusion, extreme psychosis, sociopathy, mania and perhaps others.

The psychosis is particularly apparent in his recent rantings:

Hallucinations
    False perceptions
    False beliefs
    Bizarre behaviour
    Disordered speech
    Delusions
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,583
    mwadams said:

BBC:

"Robert Alden, Conservative leader at the city council, had been vying to become the first Tory MP for the constituency since 1936."

Pre-coffee brain:

"He must be very old by now?!"

We know that age is a massive predictor of propensity to vote Conservative.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Heathener said:

malcolmg said:

Chameleon said:

Is Rotterdam closed to Russian shipping?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Good luck getting Worldle today! :tongue:

In three
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Heathener said:

Minority Lab government with Lab on 295, SNP on 55, LD on 19, Con on 257 on this projection.
    https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/elections/2022/01/britain-predicts

The New Statesman may or may not be right but that's not based on this result at all. It was published in January.
  • Options
    A historic shift is taking place in Finland. For the first time, most Finns want to join NATO. Across the Baltic Sea, Swedes are becoming more favorable towards membership as well. Sparked by Russia’s full-scale invasion of Ukraine, this might lead to a major foreign-policy shift for the militarily non-aligned Nordic states. But it is not easy to take out insurance when the house is already on fire.

As many as 53 percent of Finns are now in favor of joining NATO, according to polling conducted from February 23-25 (the Russian invasion began on February 24). That’s a dramatic change: In 2017, the same poll showed only 19 percent of Finns wanting to join NATO, and the figure had remained rather stable over time. Polls in favor of joining NATO were up in Sweden as well, with 41 percent supportive in a poll released February 25, compared to 37 percent in January. Public endorsement for membership in Sweden has hovered around 35 percent since the Russian annexation of Crimea in 2014.

https://www.atlanticcouncil.org/blogs/new-atlanticist/will-finland-and-sweden-join-nato-now/
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Heathener said:

Minority Lab government with Lab on 295, SNP on 55, LD on 19, Con on 257 on this projection. Seat by seat projection map, not sure on which boundaries though.

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/elections/2022/01/britain-predicts?s=09

They got the job done. That is all they needed to do.
This discussion has been closed.