Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

April’s French election looks set to be Macron vs Le Pen once again – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,370

Chameleon said:

Cyclefree said:

biggles said:

rcs1000 said:

Kira Rudik
    @kiraincongress
    ·
    55m
    So #Putin is going to announce mobilization tomorrow. This means the horde that is attacking #Ukraine will get bigger.

It seems like 1939 year taught the world nothing. Sanctions won’t stop dictators. The good fight will.

#StopPutin #StopWar

https://twitter.com/kiraincongress

Now, I'm no expert, but I'm not sure general mobilisation is a sign the war is going well.
    We got well past day seven in WWI…..
    General mobilisation, if it happens, is in this case Mad Vlad trying to distract and make the crisis even worse than it appears to the home audience. Otherwise they might be looking at the two cabbages and 500g of oats they have to live on for the next six weeks that they exchanged for 4million rubles earlier and beginning to ask questions.

Someone posted this yesterday:
    https://twitter.com/risj_oxford/status/1499007132934582274

V-interesting, the interviewee a Bellingcat journalist claims a source contacted him last year about Putin aiming to transform Russia into a mobilised war economy. Locked down and with no free media. He also says (yes I know.. post facto but..) the source prewarned about the Ukrainian conflict last year.

Now trying not to sound too schizo, it seems like greater-Russia is on the menu. And Belarus, Kazakhstan, Armenia and Transnistria are about to relive the glory days.
    He won't stop at Ukraine.
    I'm not convinced they have the military resources to go further given the losses taken so far. The plan will have been to do that, but a very significant amount of Russia's best resources (including the VDV, missile stockpiles) have been hit hard.
    But he's been holding the thermobarics back, no?
    They seem to be be breaking down, getting looted by Ukrainians etc, just all the other gear.

I am looking on eBay as we speak.
    You want a tank? You want a Davey Crocket, I know, take the munitions out and hide it in back of wardrobe, and prank people with the dinky bomb.

Hope you don’t want a devils vacuum with the satanic face. They should be banned.
    No, I want a reproduction Violet Club. A nuclear weapon only the British could have built.

It explains the entire of post-war Britain, if you look at it right.
    "Because the bombs were armed before flight, the take-off was hazardous; the bombs could not be jettisoned, and landing with an armed bomb on return to base was too hazardous to contemplate. As a consequence, Violet Club could not be used on an airborne alert, or even flown to a remote dispersal base."
    To be fair, no one was worried about them NOT working. That’s an engineering success.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,011
    Applicant said:

pigeon said:

pigeon said:

BigRich said:

Are they counting the By-election in Birmingham tonight, or in the morning and do we know what time to expect the results? does a low tern out = quick results?

According to the Birmingham Mail website the count takes place tonight with a result expected in the early hours of the morning.
    And on this topic, expectation management from Labour:

Labour says it's looking "really tight"

PA news reports a Labour source said: “The weather’s absolutely grim and turnout is looking extremely low. It’s going to be really tight.”

A Tory source said Boris Johnson’s party was expecting a “respectable showing”.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/live-updates-erdington-voters-go-23279522
    It’s not having Nick P there what lost it, the smooth old Jag of campaigners 🙂

This is a bloody nose for the complacent Starmer and his front bench.

I remember In 2012 George Galloway won Bradford. Thst Day mori had Labour on 38% for a three percent opinion poll lead national, very similar to latest polls, 3 years later labour didn’t have that bad general election year in England. Meanwhile in Erdington today, it’s a seat moving to towards the Conservatives, when he first got it Dromey only had a 3K majority same as last time. it’s hugely Leave, probably only still Labour because of incumbency of skilled MP. Brexit Party stood against Boris in 2019 and got 4%, if. Tories swallow that they are only 3% swing away from winning by my maths. It will be a very low turn out, and there are so many other attractive places Labour votes can go if they see the Labour candidate as weak, to the left where there is an effective left campaigner who can steal 3 or 4 % from Labour himself, some leave voters will turn towards the levelling up agenda of the Conservatives, or towards the election form horse Libdems.

This will not be a shock Tory gain. It will be the increased votes of Lib Dem, Green and TUC which mainly wins it for them. It does not mean Boris is safe as houses. It means mid term by elections favour challengers. If Tories win this it should not be bigged up as significant for all the reasons I have explained.
    If the Tories win this it would be an enormous shock and a massive indictment of SKS's leadership of Labour. The governing party hasn't exactly been giving people reasons to get off their arses and vote for it recently.

Can't see it happening though. I wasn't tempted by 10/1. Labour hold on a reduced majority in terms of vote numbers because of low turnout but a swing to Labour of ~10%.
    Did Keir Starmer visit the constituency?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,593
    philiph said:

At least we can satisfy Putin in one respect, we can define Putinism.
    We have had Lenininsm, Stalinism and now we know the definition of Putinism. The illegal unwarrented destruction of cities and slaughter of innocent citizens by btutal and indiscriminate use of high explosives.

This definition of Putinism should be widely distributed in Russia.

Sorry, what is the difference between the three 'isms?
  • Options
    RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Posts: 1,168
    27% turnout in Erdington, and it sounds like a comfortable Labour win. Reform have taken a chunk of votes off the Tories as well allegedly.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    Turnout in Birmingham apparently 27%, which would make Mr Smithson's tip earlier today of 20-30% at 5/2 very nice.
  • Options
    RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Posts: 1,168
    Andy_JS said:

Applicant said:

pigeon said:

pigeon said:

BigRich said:

Are they counting the By-election in Birmingham tonight, or in the morning and do we know what time to expect the results? does a low tern out = quick results?

According to the Birmingham Mail website the count takes place tonight with a result expected in the early hours of the morning.
    And on this topic, expectation management from Labour:

Labour says it's looking "really tight"

PA news reports a Labour source said: “The weather’s absolutely grim and turnout is looking extremely low. It’s going to be really tight.”

A Tory source said Boris Johnson’s party was expecting a “respectable showing”.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/live-updates-erdington-voters-go-23279522
    It’s not having Nick P there what lost it, the smooth old Jag of campaigners 🙂

This is a bloody nose for the complacent Starmer and his front bench.

I remember In 2012 George Galloway won Bradford. Thst Day mori had Labour on 38% for a three percent opinion poll lead national, very similar to latest polls, 3 years later labour didn’t have that bad general election year in England. Meanwhile in Erdington today, it’s a seat moving to towards the Conservatives, when he first got it Dromey only had a 3K majority same as last time. it’s hugely Leave, probably only still Labour because of incumbency of skilled MP. Brexit Party stood against Boris in 2019 and got 4%, if. Tories swallow that they are only 3% swing away from winning by my maths. It will be a very low turn out, and there are so many other attractive places Labour votes can go if they see the Labour candidate as weak, to the left where there is an effective left campaigner who can steal 3 or 4 % from Labour himself, some leave voters will turn towards the levelling up agenda of the Conservatives, or towards the election form horse Libdems.

This will not be a shock Tory gain. It will be the increased votes of Lib Dem, Green and TUC which mainly wins it for them. It does not mean Boris is safe as houses. It means mid term by elections favour challengers. If Tories win this it should not be bigged up as significant for all the reasons I have explained.
    If the Tories win this it would be an enormous shock and a massive indictment of SKS's leadership of Labour. The governing party hasn't exactly been giving people reasons to get off their arses and vote for it recently.

Can't see it happening though. I wasn't tempted by 10/1. Labour hold on a reduced majority in terms of vote numbers because of low turnout but a swing to Labour of ~10%.
    Did Keir Starmer visit the constituency?
    He did.
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

The Zaporizhzhya stream is wild. Russia shelling a nuclear power plant, and every time they try and advance they take significant casualties. When they set up the stream I'm not sure they envisdaged it streaming dead Russian soldiers to the world.

Per Windy, any released radiation from southern Ukraine would be carried southeast across southern Russia towards the caspian sea, then north up to mid-Russia south of Moscow.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

philiph said:

We have had Lenininsm, Stalinism and now we know the definition of Putinism. The illegal unwarrented destruction of cities and slaughter of innocent citizens by btutal and indiscriminate use of high explosives.

The names.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,073
    Chameleon said:

Tories admitting defeat in the by-election according to Harry Cole. No surprise I suspect.

That means nothing, Comrades. Let us not forget that Farage himself admitted defeat just hours before a stunning victory.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

LDLF said:

Once again the two traditionally, formerly main political parties in France are likely to play very little role in this election and Macron will be re-elected as Co-Prince of Andorra.
    What happens after Macron's second term? His party was created as a vehicle for him and is made in his image; it even shares his initials.
    Will he use his second term to annoint a successor, or does one of the two traditional parties re-emerge eventually?

Why would Macron ever step down? Surely he has his sights set on President for Life.
    Perhaps that's what he's been talking with Putin about.
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,461

Chameleon said:

Cyclefree said:

biggles said:

rcs1000 said:

Kira Rudik
    @kiraincongress
    ·
    55m
    So #Putin is going to announce mobilization tomorrow. This means the horde that is attacking #Ukraine will get bigger.

It seems like 1939 year taught the world nothing. Sanctions won’t stop dictators. The good fight will.

#StopPutin #StopWar

Now, I'm no expert, but I'm not sure general mobilisation is a sign the war is going well.
    General mobilisation, if it happens, is in this case Mad Vlad trying to distract and make the crisis even worse than it appears to the home audience. Otherwise they might be looking at the two cabbages and 500g of oats they have to live on for the next six weeks that they exchanged for 4million rubles earlier and beginning to ask questions.

V-interesting, the interviewee a Bellingcat journalist claims a source contacted him last year about Putin aiming to transform Russia into a mobilised war economy. Locked down and with no free media. He also says (yes I know.. post facto but..) the source prewarned about the Ukrainian conflict last year.

Now trying not to sound too schizo, it seems like greater-Russia is on the menu. And Belarus, Kazakhstan, Armenia and Transnistria are about to relive the glory days.
    I'm not convinced they have the military resources to go further given the losses taken so far. The plan will have been to do that, but a very significant amount of Russia's best resources (including the VDV, missile stockpiles) have been hit hard.
    They seem to be be breaking down, getting looted by Ukrainians etc, just all the other gear.

You want a tank? You want a Davey Crocket, I know, take the munitions out and hide it in back of wardrobe, and prank people with the dinky bomb.

Hope you don’t want a devils vacuum with the satanic face. They should be banned.
    No, I want a reproduction Violet Club. A nuclear weapon only the British could have built.

"Because the bombs were armed before flight, the take-off was hazardous; the bombs could not be jettisoned, and landing with an armed bomb on return to base was too hazardous to contemplate. As a consequence, Violet Club could not be used on an airborne alert, or even flown to a remote dispersal base."
    That barely touches on the lunacy of the design - a brilliant pyramid of stupid design decisions taken to fix earlier, stupid design decisions.
    Why are we so shit?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,459

philiph said:

Putinism is right-wing conservative natiionalism.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited March 2022
    Nobody tell Leon.....somebody has got live feeds of CCTV cameras at a Nuclear Powerplant in Ukraine in which currently under attack from the Russians.
  • Options
    Not seen much of Peter Kyle before QT tonight

Don't want to see any more
  • Options

Chameleon said:

Cyclefree said:

biggles said:

rcs1000 said:

Kira Rudik
    @kiraincongress
    ·
    55m

#StopPutin #StopWar

That barely touches on the lunacy of the design - a brilliant pyramid of stupid design decisions taken to fix earlier, stupid design decisions.
    Do you work in my engineering department?
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,902

Chameleon said:

The Zaporizhzhya stream is wild. Russia shelling a nuclear power plant, and every time they try and advance they take significant casualties. When they set up the stream I'm not sure they envisdaged it streaming dead Russian soldiers to the world.

Per Windy, any released radiation from southern Ukraine would be carried southeast across southern Russia towards the caspian sea, then north up to mid-Russia south of Moscow.
    No-one on the Russian side has had anything near second order thinking in the past fortnight, why start now?
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    The word genocide has been thrown around a lot, does the Russian invasion fit this?

For me it pretty easily meets the definition of: "The systematic killing of substantial numbers of people on the basis of ethnicity, religion, political opinion, social status, or other particularity." Doubly so when the kill lists start getting actioned. Putin's stated aim is to destroy the Ukrainian nationality.
  • Options

Chameleon said:

But will it get all the way to the other side of his meeting table?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Chameleon said:

Cyclefree said:

biggles said:

rcs1000 said:

Kira Rudik
    @kiraincongress
    ·
    55m

#StopPutin #StopWar

No - but we have met.

Resolver One, GPU & election simulation....
  • Options

Chameleon said:

Cyclefree said:

biggles said:

rcs1000 said:

Kira Rudik
    @kiraincongress
    ·
    55m

#StopPutin #StopWar

Why are we so shit?
    The British Way consists of

1) Starting with a novel design decision - such as submarines using HTP.
    2) Discover that there are tremendous difficulties
    3) Insist that we must go on
    4) Due to deference to authority, idiots in all the wrong place in the "expert" groups, we go on
    5) Stupid fixes are suggested
    6) Loop between 2 and 5 until bored
    7) An epic result, which doesn't work, for 17x the price everyone else paid.
    8) The requirements from all of this are incorporated into the next project.
  • Options
    BREAKING - Ukraine's FM confirms Zaporizhzhia fire:

"If it blows up, it will be 10 times larger than Chornobyl! Russians must IMMEDIATELY cease the fire, allow firefighters, establish a security zone!" - Kuleba says

https://twitter.com/phildstewart/status/1499544650922831874

Live stream confirms plentiful incoming fire.
  • Options
    One of the camera angles on the livestream from the Ukrainian nuclear power plant showed a fire a few minutes ago. Not clear what is happening but this shows for me that the Russian forces are not being controlled safely by their officers. Here is the livestream.

• Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,940
    So far we have a Lab gain in Sunderland and a Lib Dem gain in Somerset. Also Con hold in Sevenoaks and Con gain in East Lindsey. Lib Dem hold in Essex, Rochford and New Forest.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Quincel said:

Turnout in Birmingham apparently 27%, which would make Mr Smithson's tip earlier today of 20-30% at 5/2 very nice.

My turnout prediction yesterday on the VoteUK forum was 28%. Result prediction was Lab 50%, Con 34%.
  • Options
    philiph said:

philiph said:

The names.
    Do you know this one -

The difference between the West and the USSR, is that in the West, man exploits man. In the USSR the structure is reversed.
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

BREAKING - Ukraine's FM confirms Zaporizhzhia fire:

"If it blows up, it will be 10 times larger than Chornobyl! Russians must IMMEDIATELY cease the fire, allow firefighters, establish a security zone!" - Kuleba says

https://twitter.com/phildstewart/status/1499544650922831874

Live stream confirms plentiful incoming fire.

Christ.
  • Options
    There is a visible fire.
  • Options

One of the camera angles on the livestream from the Ukrainian nuclear power plant showed a fire a few minutes ago. Not clear what is happening but this shows for me that the Russian forces are not being controlled safely by their officers. Here is the livestream.

They seem to have a nice fire going there. Congratulations.

Ripley : It's very pretty Bishop but what're we looking for?
    Bishop : [pointing at gas coming from the reactor] That's it. The emergency venting.
    Private Hudson : Oh, that's beautiful, man. Oh man, that-that-that just beats it all.
    Corporal Hicks : How long till it blows?
    Bishop : Four hours. With a blast radius of thirty kilometers, equal to about forty megatons.
    Corporal Hicks : We got problems.
    Private Hudson : I don't believe this. I don't fucking *believe* this!
    Corporal Hicks : Vasquez, close the shutters.
    Ripley : Why can't we shut it down from here?
    Bishop : I'm sorry, the crash caused too much damage. An overload... is inevitable at this point.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,914
    edited March 2022

Nobody tell Leon.....somebody has got live feeds of CCTV cameras at a Nuclear Powerplant in Ukraine in which currently under attack from the Russians.

That is utterly utterly nuts.

It appears to be an admin building on fire rather than an actual reactor, but God knows what else is going on.

Wind is currently towards the Caspian, and should remain westerly for a few days. Fallout most likely to end up in Siberia and then Moscow or China (who will no doubt be very pleased).

• Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,635
    slade said:

So far we have a Lab gain in Sunderland and a Lib Dem gain in Somerset. Also Con hold in Sevenoaks and Con gain in East Lindsey. Lib Dem hold in Essex, Rochford and New Forest.

Libdems pretty much winning everywhere. Again. 🥱
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Fucking hell they shelled or mortared (can’t judge scale) it.

https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1499539949615558659?s=20&t=NM9BkZ2cXMjc4ZyVU45aVQ
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,880
    I believe this is the biggest nuclear plant in Europe. What are the implications of “another Fukushima”?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Chameleon said:

Cyclefree said:

biggles said:

rcs1000 said:

Kira Rudik
    @kiraincongress
    ·
    55m

#StopPutin #StopWar

No - but we have met.

Ah ha! Do you (or did you) work with Danny Finkelstein?
  • Options
    biggles said:

https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1499539949615558659?s=20&t=NM9BkZ2cXMjc4ZyVU45aVQ

Looks like emergency vehicles turned up and then came under fire and have had to back off.
  • Options

I believe this is the biggest nuclear plant in Europe. What are the implications of “another Fukushima”?

Fukushima was a carefully controlled accident where the crews on site were backed up by any and all resources required. This is an active war zone with incoming fire…
  • Options
    Looking on google maps, the livestream from the nuclear plant looks like the admin area is under attack. This is about 250m southeast of the closest of 6 reactor buildings. If this building is also the control room area then god knows what can happen.
  • Options
    biggles said:

Looks like 10-100 Russians have exited the stream bottom, towards the main building.
  • Options

Looking on google maps, the livestream from the nuclear plant looks like the admin area is under attack. This is about 250m southeast of the closest of 6 reactor buildings. If this building is also the control room area then god knows what can happen.

Unless they have testicles the size of watermelons, the crew must have fled to take shelter. Who knows what’s been hit and the current state of play?
  • Options

We won't have to worry about who owns Donetsk or Mariupol.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    TSE will be pleased. He gets to binge watch Chernobyl 2.....

What complete mad fuckers. Serve them right if it blows up and leaves Moscow uninhabitable for 10,000 years.
  • Options

With added shelling, instead of everyone in the country trying to fix things?

Fuck knows.

I bet the day will be saved again by a Sergei Preminin type dude.

For those who don't know - he was the guy, who on one of the floating bombs the Russians called nuclear submarines, went into the *reactors* (inside the shielding) to manually shut them down. Several times.

His body rests on the Hatteras abyssal plain. Not sure where his soul is, but I'd take a seat next to him in the next life.
  • Options

TSE will be pleased. He gets to binge watch Chernobyl 2.....

What complete mad fuckers. Serve them right if it blows up and leaves Moscow uninhabitable for 10,000 years.

I am not sure live streaming Season 2 was in HBOs plans.
  • Options

Looks like it is the control room from what I can see online. Seeing as the reactors still need external power for cooling even when disabled, if that gets disconnected there's serious issues.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Why would the Russians want to set a nuclear power station on fire? Seems like a mad thing to do.
  • Options
    Who the fuck is still shooting? Are they on drugs?
  • Options
    Quite clear that the Ukrainians are out of anti-armour, otherwise the vehicles providing cover for the advance down main street would have bee taken our by now.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Why would the Russians want to set a nuclear power station on fire? Seems like a mad thing to do.

You may have answered your own question!
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Chameleon said:

Cyclefree said:

biggles said:

rcs1000 said:

Kira Rudik
    @kiraincongress
    ·
    55m

#StopPutin #StopWar

No - but we have met.

Ah ha! Do you (or did you) work with Danny Finkelstein?
    No.... I was doing the GPU thing as a private initiative - it was that idea for reworking polling data that was being pitched on PB at the time... long ago. I can't even remember the details.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0-wTrm9VSQ
  • Options
    biggles said:

Crystal Meth like every combatant in Ukraine tonight, and all the politicians too. There’s got to be issues with over doing meth though, did the Germans find issue in WWII?
  • Options
    biggles said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0-wTrm9VSQ

You just can't get the staff......
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,168
    edited March 2022
    Birmingham Erdington result.

Labour hold with a small swing from the Tories, TUSC 3rd and LDs 6th.

Labour 55%
    Cons 36%
    TUSC 2.1%
    RefUK 1.7%.
    Greens 1.4%
    LDs 1.0%

https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1499551664486985729?s=20&t=mgnH6EVH8Inv5Wq9PcY6qw
  • Options
    If, in December 2019 I had posted about a two year long global pandemic that resulted in us all being confided to our houses for months, followed by a large scale Russian invasion of Ukraine incorporating (god I hope this doesn’t happen) a nuclear meltdown of the largest plant in Europe, I think one or two might have said I was nuts.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Labour 55%
    Cons 36%
    TUSC 2.1%
    RefUK 1.7%.
    Greens 1.4%
    LDs 1.1%

https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1499551664486985729?s=20&t=mgnH6EVH8Inv5Wq9PcY6qw

Meh.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Labour 55%
    Cons 36%
    TUSC 2%
    RefUK 1.7%.
    Greens 1.4%
    LDs 1.2%

I don't think I've ever been less bothered about a by-election result...
  • Options
    What was that Nostradamus prediction about the Black Sea boiling again?
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

Quite clear that the Ukrainians are out of anti-armour, otherwise the vehicles providing cover for the advance down main street would have bee taken our by now.

Maybe they are stupid enough to think that firing weapons designed to chop holes in really, really thick metal is a bad move in the neighbourhood of nuclear reactors.

Boris Vaslov: [looking into the reactor] Oh... it seems almost benevolent.
    Cmdr. Ferraday: In that state, yes. Contained, controlled. But it is nuclear fission... and it hates being confined even more than you do.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

"If I can't have Ukraine, nobody will have Ukraine...."

It could prove the most monstrously stupid act in the whole history of warfare.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Labour 55%
    Cons 36%
    TUSC 2.1%
    RefUK 1.7%.
    Greens 1.4%
    LDs 1.0%

Looks to be about in line with serious assessments before the election was even called.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

"If I can't have Ukraine, nobody will have Ukraine...."

It could prove the most monstrously stupid act in the whole history of warfare.
    I’ll be honest, if I was a soldier staring at the NUCLEAR POWER PLANT I had been ordered to take, and it was on fire, I just might withdraw. If I was an officer I’d definitely be on comms with my seniors suggesting a change of plan. Doesn’t seem to be the case….
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Swing to Labour: 4.5%. Not even half of what the need for a majority at the next general election.

http://www.electionpolling.co.uk/battleground/targets/labour
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,556
    Suddenly Angela Merkel's decision to abandon nuclear power does not seem quite so misguided.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Swing to Labour: 4.5%. Not even half of what the need for a majority at the next general election.

Before or after you allow for thermonuclear annihilation of our largest cities?
  • Options

Suddenly Angela Merkel's decision to abandon nuclear power does not seem quite so misguided.

We don’t usually plan around idiots shelling them. Not a major risk in the U.K.
  • Options
    At least they haven’t called in air support…..
  • Options
    CCTV feed now focussing on a building about 60m southeast of the southernmost reactor
  • Options

Why?

If we're ever in a stage where invading troops are shooting at German nuclear power plants then I think the world's already gone to hell in a handcart by that point.
  • Options
    edited March 2022

biggles said:

Crystal Meth like every combatant in Ukraine tonight, and all the politicians too. There’s got to be issues with over doing meth though, did the Germans find issue in WWII?
    It depends on what you describe as "issues" - insanity, paranoia, murderous rage? To some people that's a problem. To Oskar Dirlewanger, that's just a recruitment opportunity....
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,963

The Book of Revelation, of course, famously has this passage -

Then the third angel sounded his trumpet, and a great star burning like a torch fell from heaven and landed on a third of the rivers and on the springs of water. The name of the star is Wormwood. A third of the waters turned bitter like wormwood oil, and many people died from the bitter waters.

By strange coincidence, Chernobyl translates into English as "Wormwood".
  • Options
    Surely this must increase the chances of a palace coup.
  • Options
    On topic, what would Le Pen do?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,168
    Andy_JS said:

Labour would gain about 50 seats on the Birmingham Erdington swing tonight. Enough for a hung parliament but the Tories would still be largest party

http://www.electionpolling.co.uk/battleground/targets/labour

However it was a strong Leave seat already held by Labour and the swing away from the Tories is bigger in Tory Remain seats
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Andy_JS said:

Surely this must increase the chances of a palace coup.

Or a palace exodus to a place not down wind…
  • Options

Why?

If we're ever in a stage where invading troops are shooting at German nuclear power plants then I think the world's already gone to hell in a handcart by that point.
    And if Germany had more nuclear power, it would be less reliant on Russian oil and gas?
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,556

What would Le Pen do about what?
  • Options
    Takes the number of female MPs to 225 = 34.6%.
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

The Book of Revelation, of course, famously has this passage -

Then the third angel sounded his trumpet, and a great star burning like a torch fell from heaven and landed on a third of the rivers and on the springs of water. The name of the star is Wormwood. A third of the waters turned bitter like wormwood oil, and many people died from the bitter waters.

By strange coincidence, Chernobyl translates into English as "Wormwood".
    More than likely it’s a meteor, probably hitting the Great Lakes area.
  • Options
    50,000 people are watching this particular live stream of the nuclear power station.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYUT36YGOh8
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Andy_JS said:

50,000 people are watching this particular live stream of the nuclear power station.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYUT36YGOh8

On a visual inspection it’s calmed down. Being a terrible pessimist, that might just mean there’s nothing left to burn in that bit and it’s now inside. Hopefully it’s not that, and someone is getting it under control.
  • Options

What would Le Pen do about what?
    Dodgy FA Cup quarter final draws

Or Ukraine
  • Options
    edited March 2022

With added shelling, instead of everyone in the country trying to fix things?

Fuck knows.

I bet the day will be saved again by a Sergei Preminin type dude.

For those who don't know - he was the guy, who on one of the floating bombs the Russians called nuclear submarines, went into the *reactors* (inside the shielding) to manually shut them down. Several times.

His body rests on the Hatteras abyssal plain. Not sure where his soul is, but I'd take a seat next to him in the next life.
    Yes, there will be some poor sod shutting down the reactors calmly whilst total nutters are shooting the place up.

These do have proper containment unlike Chernobyl - provided that hasn't been shelled - and there's no graphite in the core. If coolant pumping fails then I would imagine that the worst outcome is that the Black Sea ends up radioactive rather than there being a lot of airborne particles as per Chernobyl.

Although I wouldn't like to see it put to the test.
  • Options
    I've had enough for tonight. I cannot believe the stupidity of attacking the largest reactor complex in Europe knowing that any major miscalculation could render your own capital region uninhabitable for centuries. Someone in Moscow needs to get a grip.
  • Options
    "ZAPORIZHZHIA NPP
    Radiation conditions"

https://www.npp.zp.ua/en/safety/arms
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,555
    ‘IAEA Director General @RafaelMGrossi speaks with #Ukraine PM Denys Shmygal and with Ukrainian nuclear regulator and operator about serious situation at #Zaporizhzhia Nuclear Power Plant, appeals for halt of use of force and warns of severe danger if reactors hit.‘
  • Options

biggles said:

It depends on what you describe as "issues" - insanity, paranoia, murderous rage? To some people that's a problem. To Oskar Dirlewanger, that's just a recruitment opportunity....
    Flipping Eck.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oskar_Dirlewanger

That’s a brilliant funny answer. But what’s on your bookshelf for a bit of light reading from time to time?
  • Options
    NEW: @POTUS is speaking with #Ukraine President Zelenskyy amid worries of the shelling at #Zaporizhzhia Nuclear Power Plant.
  • Options
    Probably nothing to worry about, just worth getting POTUS working the phones. There’s a low bar for that right….
  • Options
    This is insane. I can't quite comprehend what is happening tonight.
  • Options
    Everyone has been concentrating on the dangers of getting involved in Ukraine, but presumably this will turn some minds on both side of the Atlantic toward the dangers of staying out.
  • Options
    Fire brigades were allowed to enter the territory of the Zaporozhye nuclear power plant

https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1499556721886474241?s=20&t=EL8GReDTPABcZFBTfW2G7g
  • Options
    edited March 2022

I've had enough for tonight. I cannot believe the stupidity of attacking the largest reactor complex in Europe knowing that any major miscalculation could render your own capital region uninhabitable for centuries. Someone in Moscow needs to get a grip.

It is hard to comprehend how one sick-in-the-head bloke is allowed put the other 7 billion or so people on the planet at risk of annihilation. Surely someone must act soon.
  • Options
    The best case scenario is they calmly shut down the whole reactor?

But that place provides 20-25% of Ukrainian power, apparently….
  • Options

This is insane. I can't quite comprehend what is happening tonight.

I agree with you.

Although it’s not many people behind this insanity and barbarity, I will pray now all the human race reflects on these events and learn the lesson, there’s nothing, nothing at all that can be worth causing all this.
  • Options
    “The safety of the Nuclear plant is ensured.” — head of the Zaporozhie State Admin.
  • Options
    I suggest Ukraine has no choice but to surrender. For now.

However the entire world must then turn on Russia and demand the End of Putin
  • Options
    Full fat sanctions. Everything we’ve held back. No other choice.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    On the live stream they still seem to be shooting.

“The fires out, as you were. Any mortar rounds left?”
  • Options
    Leon said:

“The safety of the Nuclear plant is ensured.” — head of the Zaporozhie State Admin.

Oh thank goodness!

Time to take five minutes Leon and enjoy some Moldovan culture - student of foreign culture that you are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9ZvZdeP21Q
  • Options
    biggles said:

Full fat sanctions. Everything we’ve held back. No other choice.

Putin is mad enough to do this to every Ukrainian nuclear power station. Deprive the country of electricity, heat, light. He wins in hours
This discussion has been closed.