Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Current revelations put the Barnard Castle trip into context – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    TimS said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

FPT

boulay said:

I might be a miserable grinch but what is this fucking obsession with grown adults having to celebrate every birthday?

I get it for children and I get it for special birthdays such as 50 but I am amazed how so many people I know in their 30’s and 40’s have to make such a fuss to the point where they have to have a whole weekend devoted to lunches or dinners.

Carrie bringing a cake into the office is just another example of this vapid nonsense about adults’ birthdays. Half the time it also seems to be more about the person throwing the celebration than the actual birthday boy or girl - “look what I’ve done, aren’t I marvellous, isn’t it the best cake, didn’t I do well”…..

PS it’s not my birthday today and I didn’t get any presents but really people, get over the birthday hype!

Birthday sex, that's why adults love to celebrate every birthday.

So I am told.
    Haha! Sort of like Valentines night - things you should be doing all the time with your partner ruined by being diarised……

But the adults obsession with birthdays is ridiculous - cake, cards, presents, dinner with family or close friends - great - but I don’t give a crap if it’s a work colleague’s birthday and really don’t feel the need to have a cake and “picnic food” in the boardroom…..

It’s like the rise of stag and hen parties where now every poor bugger has to stump up a few grand to travel to Ibiza to drink Prosecco a few weeks before the wedding as well as attending the “home” stag/hen on top.

I get Boris is a man-child but….. I bet he wore a stupid pointy party hat.
    Stag dos are the worst. Forced jollity like New Year’s Eve, but way more expensive

Closely followed by Valentine’s Day. One of the most tragic sights in the universe is a restaurant full of silent couples who have been married/partnered for years and have nothing to say to each other

Aaaargh
    The only stag do I've enjoyed was one where I knew hardly any of the other guests beforehand. It was a good way to break the ice with people, particularly the groom (my now brother in law), who were about to become more regular features in my social circle. I think that's probably the only redeeming feature. Otherwise they are pants.
    My stag do was great, and I put that down to having a female best man - she understood that it was pointless getting me so drunk that I couldn't remember the night.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,360
    HYUFD said:

Legally working in No 10 was essential work, meetings were allowed there and you cannot prove work was not discussed after the meeting either

I do think you're splitting hairs. However, as time moves on, many people who were not especially traumatised by lockdown coinciding with a family tragedy have come to regard the details of the rules with a shoulder-shrug (resdpecially those who weren't too precise about following them themselves), so I doubt if a short birthday event will have shifted many views. Critics need to be careful to focus on the most outrageous events - the party before the Duke's funeral still shocks most people - and avoid the impression that they'll bring up anything 'cos they hate Boris.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,020

Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

"Vodafone to switch off UK 3G network by end of 2023
    Change will force hundreds of thousands of older people and those in rural areas to upgrade mobiles

Vodafone, which has about 18 million UK mobile customers, is to turn off the almost two-decade-old network as usage dwindles to focus on using the freed up spectrum to expand its 4G and 5G networks. However, the company, which is to phase out 3G along the same timeline as EE-owner BT, admits that there are hundreds of thousands of customers who have stuck with their 3G-only phones, particularly older owners who have not been enticed to join the smartphone revolution."

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2022/jan/25/vodafone-to-switch-off-uk-3g-network-by-end-of-2023

Not just phones either, there will thousands of 2010-era cars and other equipment with 3G modems attached, replacement or upgrade of which will not be as straightforward as upgrading a mobile phone.
    That's 2G innit? That isn't getting closed down for around a decade.
    Nope, it could equally well be 3G there was a time when the 3G chips were cheaper so hardware was designed to use the 3G rather than 2G network while remain compatible.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,086
    Applicant said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

FPT

boulay said:

I might be a miserable grinch but what is this fucking obsession with grown adults having to celebrate every birthday?

I get it for children and I get it for special birthdays such as 50 but I am amazed how so many people I know in their 30’s and 40’s have to make such a fuss to the point where they have to have a whole weekend devoted to lunches or dinners.

Carrie bringing a cake into the office is just another example of this vapid nonsense about adults’ birthdays. Half the time it also seems to be more about the person throwing the celebration than the actual birthday boy or girl - “look what I’ve done, aren’t I marvellous, isn’t it the best cake, didn’t I do well”…..

PS it’s not my birthday today and I didn’t get any presents but really people, get over the birthday hype!

So I am told.
    Haha! Sort of like Valentines night - things you should be doing all the time with your partner ruined by being diarised……

But the adults obsession with birthdays is ridiculous - cake, cards, presents, dinner with family or close friends - great - but I don’t give a crap if it’s a work colleague’s birthday and really don’t feel the need to have a cake and “picnic food” in the boardroom…..

It’s like the rise of stag and hen parties where now every poor bugger has to stump up a few grand to travel to Ibiza to drink Prosecco a few weeks before the wedding as well as attending the “home” stag/hen on top.

Stag dos are the worst. Forced jollity like New Year’s Eve, but way more expensive

Closely followed by Valentine’s Day. One of the most tragic sights in the universe is a restaurant full of silent couples who have been married/partnered for years and have nothing to say to each other

Aaaargh
    The only stag do I've enjoyed was one where I knew hardly any of the other guests beforehand. It was a good way to break the ice with people, particularly the groom (my now brother in law), who were about to become more regular features in my social circle. I think that's probably the only redeeming feature. Otherwise they are pants.
    My stag do was great, and I put that down to having a female best man - she understood that it was pointless getting me so drunk that I couldn't remember the night.
    @Leon will be along soon to lambast your comment for evidencing the downfall of western society.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,131

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

Heathener said:

Carnyx said:

Heathener said:

Oh dear oh dear oh dear. He's been found out again. I 'think' he may have just deleted the tweet, which is going to make things worse.

https://news.sky.com/story/politics-latest-live-news-uk-boris-johnson-sue-gray-report-parties-nusrat-ghani-12514080

https://twitter.com/BorisJohnson/status/1241348429546217475?s=20

This is what Boris Johnson wrote to 7 year old Josephine who cancelled her birthday party:

"Josephine sets a great example to us all by postponing her birthday party until we have sent coronavirus packing.

Together we can beat this. In the meantime let's all wish her happy birthday (twice) whilst washing our hands. #BeLikeJosephine #StayHomeSaveLives"

This is the kind of thing which really cuts through.

And Ruth Davidson rubbing the knife in:

"By coincidence, my partner shares a birthday with the Prime Minister (19th June). We marked it in 2020 by inviting one other household to sit outside, socially distanced, in our garden. It didn't occur to us - literally couldn't conceive - that we would act outside the rules."

https://twitter.com/RuthDavidsonPC/status/1485718151585501186?cxt=HHwWhMDU2bCyqp4pAAAA
    Wow.

I know the Scottish tories really have it in for him at the moment but it's really interesting to see people like Grant Shapps distancing himself from the PM this morning.

Do they know Johnson's time is up?
    That was my take, having just listened to it. He's weary with the excuses, surely knows the game is up, and is approaching the point where he can't be bothered to try and defend it all.
    That might be significant because Shapps is supposed to be the numbers man on Operation Save Big Dog so perhaps his spreadsheets are telling him Boris is a lost cause.
    The new RedfieldWilton poll still has Boris preferred to Sunak as PM amongst 2019 Tory voters 48% to 36%. Yes, 2019 Labour, LD and SNP voters prefer Sunak to Boris as PM but how many of them would switch to the Tories if Sunak became PM?

I suspect Tory MPs are about in the same range as 2019 Tory voters on Boris and for now Boris narrowly wins a VONC

https://redfieldandwiltonstrategies.com/latest-gb-voting-intention-24-january-2022/
    To win a vonc, Boris first has to face one, and then it is not a question of winning but of winning by a large enough margin, as Margaret Thatcher and Theresa May found out.
    If the current rules were in place in 1990 then Thatcher's 54% of MPs would have kept her in place. There would have been no second round and Thatcher, not Major, would likely have led the Conservatives at the 1992 general election.

May survived for six months after the December 2018 VONC she won until the May 2019 local and European elections which were admittedly disastrous for the Tories. If Boris wins a VONC now he therefore at least survives until the local elections in May
    You miss the point. Winning is not enough. The Prime Minister – any prime minister – needs to win decisively, not by a slim margin that lets them limp on for a few more months.
    Thatcher's 54% would have likely kept her in place until the election.

May's over 60% was only not enough due to the disastrous local and European elections the following year, the local elections are more significant than Boris' margin of victory
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited January 2022
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Heathener said:

Oh dear oh dear oh dear. He's been found out again. I 'think' he may have just deleted the tweet, which is going to make things worse.

https://news.sky.com/story/politics-latest-live-news-uk-boris-johnson-sue-gray-report-parties-nusrat-ghani-12514080

https://twitter.com/BorisJohnson/status/1241348429546217475?s=20

This is what Boris Johnson wrote to 7 year old Josephine who cancelled her birthday party:

"Josephine sets a great example to us all by postponing her birthday party until we have sent coronavirus packing.

Together we can beat this. In the meantime let's all wish her happy birthday (twice) whilst washing our hands. #BeLikeJosephine #StayHomeSaveLives"

This is the kind of thing which really cuts through.

And Ruth Davidson rubbing the knife in:

"By coincidence, my partner shares a birthday with the Prime Minister (19th June). We marked it in 2020 by inviting one other household to sit outside, socially distanced, in our garden. It didn't occur to us - literally couldn't conceive - that we would act outside the rules."

https://twitter.com/RuthDavidsonPC/status/1485718151585501186?cxt=HHwWhMDU2bCyqp4pAAAA
    So they had a small party outside.

Boris just had a cake given to him by his wife in the office, had congratulations, then back to work
    Exactly, and only 30 other people from all over Downing Street and Whitehall had come too.
    All of them legally working.

No different to what happens in most offices on birthdays.

Brief congratulations is hardly a party
    Go and look at the actual rules for June 2020.

It was no physical meeting between more than 2 people and even then keep a distance apart.

Even if you removed the cake the meeting should not have occurred...
    Legally working in No 10 was essential work, meetings were allowed there and you cannot prove work was not discussed after the meeting either
    With the interior designer ?

I know you're a loyalist, but do you really have to follow the PM in taking the piss ?
    And 30 disparate others never usually in the Cabinet Room together, with tipples, cake and a good singalong ?

Clearly this was work.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,792
    Selebian said:

Sunak now favourite to be PM on 1 January 2023 (Smarkets).

That seems nuts, but I can't quite see where the value is. He's layable at 3.8, Johnson backable at 3.7, neither of which scream value. Maybe in value in the other options...

Well Johnson is certainly worthless.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

I do think you're splitting hairs. However, as time moves on, many people who were not especially traumatised by lockdown coinciding with a family tragedy have come to regard the details of the rules with a shoulder-shrug (resdpecially those who weren't too precise about following them themselves), so I doubt if a short birthday event will have shifted many views. Critics need to be careful to focus on the most outrageous events - the party before the Duke's funeral still shocks most people - and avoid the impression that they'll bring up anything 'cos they hate Boris.
    Though Boris was not even at the event before the Duke's funeral but at Chequers
  • Options
    One thing that we should have picked up on over the weekend and clearly didn't

davidallengreen
    @davidallengreen
    The weakness of this Prime Minister means he has had to set up a parallel whipping operation (and not the Whips Office)

His only cabinet support is from those who would not get such a job under any other Prime Minister

This is an extraordinary situation and is not sustainable
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,135

The thing is that this whole thing is really fucking stupid. Like how dumb and/or arrogant do you have to be to think this stuff wouldn’t leak and look bad?

How hard could it have been to simply have some humility and to hold back on these “events” until everyone was allowed to do them?

Just ridiculous.

It's an arrogant born to rule mentality that sets in when they are children and is completely hardwired by the time they are adults.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,047
    edited January 2022
    Just looked at my diary for 2020. I always start on my birthday, so the entry's easy to find and in 2020 that entry reads:
    'it’s probably the strangest birthday I’ve had since 1945, when I had either measles or chicken pox and had to stay in bed!' That was just before VE Day!

Mrs C cooked a festive steak meal, though just for the two of us, and we had a bottle of wine from the case given to me the previous Christmas. Entry also notes that family and friends sent me texts and emails.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,563
    Applicant said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

FPT

boulay said:

So I am told.

Aaaargh
    I depends what you do. A pointless drinking fest with stupid costumes which everyone really hates, but can't say that, or something interesting to those involved.
  • Options
    eek said:

Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

Change will force hundreds of thousands of older people and those in rural areas to upgrade mobiles

Vodafone, which has about 18 million UK mobile customers, is to turn off the almost two-decade-old network as usage dwindles to focus on using the freed up spectrum to expand its 4G and 5G networks. However, the company, which is to phase out 3G along the same timeline as EE-owner BT, admits that there are hundreds of thousands of customers who have stuck with their 3G-only phones, particularly older owners who have not been enticed to join the smartphone revolution."

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2022/jan/25/vodafone-to-switch-off-uk-3g-network-by-end-of-2023

Not just phones either, there will thousands of 2010-era cars and other equipment with 3G modems attached, replacement or upgrade of which will not be as straightforward as upgrading a mobile phone.
    Nope, it could equally well be 3G there was a time when the 3G chips were cheaper so hardware was designed to use the 3G rather than 2G network while remain compatible.
    Also 2G is going in 2025 as well https://hyphabit.io/2g-network-closure-uk/
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,474
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

I never celebrate my birthday, unless forced

What’s to celebrate?

“The sun is the same, in a relative way, but you’re older
    Shorter of breath, and one day closer to death”

Adults really SHOULD get over it

Morning. Feeling grey and Calvinist are we?
    Quite the opposite. I am eating dal and devilled fish, on my balcony restaurant overlooking the Indian Ocean. I am two beers into lunch after an excellent and satisfying morning of work, sunbathing and swimming. A soft Ceylonese breeze blows over the rustling palms (and, to be fair, the massive skyscraper being built next door)

I am blissfully content. This is literally my ideal.

Every day I wake up expecting to feel a bit grumpy (as I generally do in London in the winter). Here I wake up, look out the window, see the sun is blazing down, and I smile. True story

I can see why Arthur C Clarke retired here. The weather
  • Options
    edited January 2022

The thing is that this whole thing is really fucking stupid. Like how dumb and/or arrogant do you have to be to think this stuff wouldn’t leak and look bad?

How hard could it have been to simply have some humility and to hold back on these “events” until everyone was allowed to do them?

Just ridiculous.

It's an arrogant born to rule mentality that sets in when they are children and is completely hardwired by the time they are adults.
    Well, not all of us who attended public schools have turned out that bad, but Cameron, JRM, Johnson et al are certainly doing their best to create a pretty good impression of the worst.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,503

Applicant said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

FPT

boulay said:

So I am told.

Aaaargh
    I depends what you do. A pointless drinking fest with stupid costumes which everyone really hates, but can't say that, or something interesting to those involved.
    Almost all the stag nights I've been on have been brilliant.
    Costumes have pretty much never featured. Drinking to excess and conversation with like-minded individuals (usually including my best friends, usually also including new and interesting people), and the odd fun activity thrown in - pitch and putt, go-karting, clay pigeon shooting, a quiz. The odd bit of light lairiness but nothing worthy of inclusion in a sitcom.
    Basically just a really good night out, stretched over a long weekend.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,503
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Though Boris was not even at the event before the Duke's funeral but at Chequers
    Yes. Commuting. As the rest of us had been instructed not to do.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,670

geoffw said:

The rules were in place to protect us all. But they were set aside in Downing Street in order to keep morale high at the centre of government. They took a risk for us but gratitude has no place in politics so we condemn the hypocrisy. It's an old story.

Meanwhile top judoka Putin looks to exploit loss of balance in his opponents. Sees cake hysteria in Britain and abject protection of business interests in Germany,
    and wonders whether now is the moment before the great thaw in the border lands.

What utter bollocks, if not satire.

Doctors, nurses, ambulance drivers, and other medical professionals on the front line during the pandemic, more so than the staff in Downing Street weren't allowed to have morale boosting parties.
    Bugger, beat me to it. And it wasn't just medical staff, there were care workers and even simple bus driver had a higher risk as was noted at the time from the stats due to increased exposure with the public just carring out their duties

I guess one could argue the staff at Downing St were taking a big risk by constantly going to bloody parties.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    edited January 2022
    fpt

My point is, a la the expenses scandal, that it is a grey area. As I'm pretty sure we will find out with the Gray report. Every MP who submitted a "dodgy" expenses report had first had it cleared by the department dealing with expenses (some MPs of course actually broke the law).

No.10 is unique among all the "but my granny" stories because it is both a workplace and a home and the place from where the country is run.

That's not to say that public opinion nevertheless will not condemn him including at the ballot box because as you say the actions, though perhaps within the letter of the law, were nevertheless egregious enough to warrant public opinion censure.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,314
    eek said:

eek said:

Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

Telegraph claimed the other day that this will totally bugger up the smart meter network. Seemed far fetched to me.

I mean surely they haven't been that stupid have they?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,371
    Surely we are now at the point that further evidence of further parties hits the law of diminishing returns. Rather than building up a tsunami of outrage it generates ennui.

We know that Boris and his team at No 10 did not think that the rules applied to them. We know that the PM was both involved and aware of what was going on and at least tolerated it because he thought it did more harm than good. We know that he repeatedly lied both to the country and to Parliament about his knowledge and his involvement.

And yet he is still there. The 53 letters have not arrived. Calls to resign have been ignored and spurned. Wait for Gray, we are told but what can she possibly tell us that we do not already know?

Last night we saw a modest bounceback in the polls for the government. Still pretty awful but a reduced deficit. It was only 1 poll and we need more but has Boris got through this? It's starting to look that way to me.
  • Options
    edited January 2022

eek said:

eek said:

Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

Telegraph claimed the other day that this will totally bugger up the smart meter network. Seemed far fetched to me.

Partly - the 1st gen meters used mobiles, the 2nd gen uses its own network to avoid such issues by the looks of it.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

What’s to celebrate?

Quite the opposite. I am eating dal and devilled fish, on my balcony restaurant overlooking the Indian Ocean. I am two beers into lunch after an excellent and satisfying morning of work, sunbathing and swimming. A soft Ceylonese breeze blows over the rustling palms (and, to be fair, the massive skyscraper being built next door)

Every day I wake up expecting to feel a bit grumpy (as I generally do in London in the winter). Here I wake up, look out the window, see the sun is blazing down, and I smile. True story

Went to Sri Lanka on a cricket-watching trip quite a few years ago. Indeed, a very pleasant place to be.
  • Options
    kjh said:

geoffw said:

The rules were in place to protect us all. But they were set aside in Downing Street in order to keep morale high at the centre of government. They took a risk for us but gratitude has no place in politics so we condemn the hypocrisy. It's an old story.

Meanwhile top judoka Putin looks to exploit loss of balance in his opponents. Sees cake hysteria in Britain and abject protection of business interests in Germany,
    and wonders whether now is the moment before the great thaw in the border lands.

Doctors, nurses, ambulance drivers, and other medical professionals on the front line during the pandemic, more so than the staff in Downing Street weren't allowed to have morale boosting parties.
    Bugger, beat me to it. And it wasn't just medical staff, there were care workers and even simple bus driver had a higher risk as was noted at the time from the stats due to increased exposure with the public just carring out their duties

I guess one could argue the staff at Downing St were taking a big risk by constantly going to bloody parties.
    NHS staff were doing dances on Tik Tok in hospitals in April 2020 and rightly no one stopped them as they deserved some stress relief, even if those dances may not have strictly been essential work

https://metro.co.uk/2020/04/23/killjoys-want-nhs-staff-stop-morale-boosting-tiktok-dances-12597107/amp/
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,894
    edited January 2022
    Good program on radio 4 about Cameron's resignation ....leading to....

No doubt the BBC are having fun at last
  • Options
    Cookie said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Yes. Commuting. As the rest of us had been instructed not to do.
    No, you could still commute to and from your work to home if your work at your workplace was essential
  • Options
    edited January 2022

Applicant said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

FPT

boulay said:

So I am told.

Aaaargh
    The best stag dos - or the tolerable ones - are really brief and insanely indulgent. A 3 star Michelin restaurant then a brothel, then everyone went home

That was my favourite

Stag “weekends” are an abomination
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kjh said:

geoffw said:

NHS staff were doing dances on Tik Tok in hospitals in April 2020 and rightly no one stopped them as they deserved some stress relief, even if those dances may not have strictly been essential work

https://metro.co.uk/2020/04/23/killjoys-want-nhs-staff-stop-morale-boosting-tiktok-dances-12597107/amp/
    Just because 1 set of people broke the rules that doesn't give another set of people the right to break the rules.

You really don't grasp the issue do you...
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    Former US Ambassador to Moscow:

Talked to a few Ukrainian politicians today who were very grateful for new weapons coming into Ukraine. The UK got a special shout out.

https://twitter.com/mcfaul/status/1485816683373613056?s=21
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,308
    HYUFD said:

geoffw said:

Medical workers, doctors and nurses , did do morale boosting Tik Tok dances at work and good on them.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rEXBKfuKFzc
    Are you for real?

There were medical workers, doctors and nurses, who were so dedicated and so concerned about spreading Covid they slept in hospital accomodation for months without seeing their family members for weeks on end, thus missing birthday parties.

There were medical workers, doctors and nurses who were so dedicated they caught Covid on the job and died, thus missing a life time of parties.

There were medical workers, doctors and nurses who were so dedicated they brought Boris Johnson from the brink, so he could party.

So yes, why shouldn't NHS staff cheer themselves up with Tik Tok dances, Teams and Zoom parties? Boris Johnson didn't need Tik Tok dances or Zoom because he was indulging in the real thing, and often by the look of it.
  • Options
    eek said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

geoffw said:

Just because 1 set of people broke the rules that doesn't give another set of people the right to break the rules.

I do, Labour, LD and SNP voters want to get Boris out, most 2019 Tory voters however still prefer Boris as PM not only over Starmer but over Sunak too as yesterday's RedfieldWilton showed

https://redfieldandwiltonstrategies.com/latest-gb-voting-intention-24-january-2022/
  • Options
    eek said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

geoffw said:

Got the impression that was one person dancing while another filmed.....
  • Options
    Boris may have a few more months as the Sue Gray report may be delayed by a Met Police investigation

https://twitter.com/GuidoFawkes/status/1485908017006665732

Guido Fawkes
    @GuidoFawkes
    According to Guido sources Downing Street has been advised that Cressida Dick intends to tell the London Assembly's Police and Crime Committee this morning that the Metropolitan Police will now investigate #partygate.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Applicant said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

FPT

boulay said:

So I am told.

Aaaargh
    The best stag dos - or the tolerable ones - are really brief and insanely indulgent. A 3 star Michelin restaurant then a brothel, then everyone went home

That was my favourite

How foul....

No, the best stag do's are leisurely. Did a magnificent one which involved sailing, stopping at various locations for some fine dining.

Sitting back on deck, with a fine breeze, discussing the champagne and the meaning of life, interrupted only by the call to tack...
  • Options

eek said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

geoffw said:

Got the impression that was one person dancing while another filmed.....
    No 6 dancing in one, over 20 in the other
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kjh said:

geoffw said:

There are so many levels where that is not the same thing that I hope you aren't comparing what those frontline NHS staff were doing to the Downing St parties?
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

geoffw said:

I do, Labour, LD and SNP voters want to get Boris out, most 2019 Tory voters however still prefer Boris as PM not only over Starmer but over Sunak too as yesterday's RedfieldWilton showed

What has a poll got to do with No 10 holding a meeting for 30 people (with cake) when the rules said no meetings of more than 2 people.

That's 2 attempts to change the conversation and it's not going to work as you are too obvious.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,061

eek said:

eek said:

Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

It's not really stupidity. You have to go with something, and you go with what you have at the time. Sadly, smart meters are probably designed to last multiple decades, whilst the network technology shift beneath them.

How would you have implemented smart meters?

Not just that: railway signalling (GSM-R) is based on 2G as well, although ISTR much is on its own network. They're moving to 5G for the replacement, but that is not due to enter trials for a couple of years. By the time it's rolled out, 5G will be old news. Many other bits of infrastructure (critical and not) rely on 2G.

It's a significant issue. How do you implement modern technology on networks which rapidly evolve?
  • Options

Leon said:

Applicant said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

FPT

boulay said:

So I am told.

Aaaargh

That was my favourite

How foul....

No, the best stag do's are leisurely. Did a magnificent one which involved sailing, stopping at various locations for some fine dining.

Sitting back on deck, with a fine breeze, discussing the champagne and the meaning of life, interrupted only by the call to tack...
    But that’s what I do every day, basically.

Maybe that’s why I dislike Stag Dos. They are generally an inferior version of my normal daily life, interrupted by boring anonymous bankers I have no desire to converse with
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

geoffw said:

There are so many levels where that is not the same thing that I hope you aren't comparing what those frontline NHS staff were doing to the Downing St parties?
    Boris attended no Downing Street party.

He had one drink after work in the garden sitting down and got 1 cake bought to him at work by his wife then returned to work
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    eek said:

Boris may have a few more months as the Sue Gray report may be delayed by a Met Police investigation

Guido Fawkes
    @GuidoFawkes
    According to Guido sources Downing Street has been advised that Cressida Dick intends to tell the London Assembly's Police and Crime Committee this morning that the Metropolitan Police will now investigate #partygate.

Hmm. Could be helpful for Johnson in the short-term, but also potentially more dangerous in the slightly longer-term.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    eek said:

davidallengreen
    @davidallengreen
    The weakness of this Prime Minister means he has had to set up a parallel whipping operation (and not the Whips Office)

His only cabinet support is from those who would not get such a job under any other Prime Minister

One thing I would much enjoy under a new PM is the certainty that JRM would be shown the door and back into irreverence. At least I really really hope he would,
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

geoffw said:

He had one drink after work in the garden sitting down and got 1 cake bought to him at work by his wife then returned to work
    The only appropriate response to this is that now well-established social media favourite - "LOL ! "
  • Options
    eek said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

geoffw said:

What has a poll got to do with No 10 holding a meeting for 30 people (with cake) when the rules said no meetings of more than 2 people.

That's 2 attempts to change the conversation and it's not going to work as you are too obvious.
    Everything as only the views of 2019 Tory voters and Tory MPs matter as to whether Boris stays PM until the next general election given the Tory majority of 80
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,753

Applicant said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

FPT

boulay said:

So I am told.

Aaaargh
    Actually I forgot the stag trip for my best friend, which was enjoyable. 6 of us staying at my place in France and spending the days going round the Burgundy and Beaujolais countryside tasting and sourcing the wine for the wedding.
  • Options

eek said:

eek said:

Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

It's not really stupidity. You have to go with something, and you go with what you have at the time. Sadly, smart meters are probably designed to last multiple decades, whilst the network technology shift beneath them.

Not just that: railway signalling (GSM-R) is based on 2G as well, although ISTR much is on its own network. They're moving to 5G for the replacement, but that is not due to enter trials for a couple of years. By the time it's rolled out, 5G will be old news. Many other bits of infrastructure (critical and not) rely on 2G.

It's a significant issue. How do you implement modern technology on networks which rapidly evolve?
    The issue is more how do you minimise bandwidth usage and costs.

using a mobile network isn't a great idea because they will have different priorities so you end up grabbing some bandwidth and then trying to maximise it's usage - and that is equally difficult but for different reasons as it may constrain future enhancements.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

geoffw said:

Medical workers, doctors and nurses , did do morale boosting Tik Tok dances at work and good on them.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rEXBKfuKFzc
    Are you for real?

There were medical workers, doctors and nurses, who were so dedicated and so concerned about spreading Covid they slept in hospital accomodation for months without seeing their family members for weeks on end, thus missing birthday parties.

There were medical workers, doctors and nurses who were so dedicated they caught Covid on the job and died, thus missing a life time of parties.

There were medical workers, doctors and nurses who were so dedicated they brought Boris Johnson from the brink, so he could party.

So yes, why shouldn't NHS staff cheer themselves up with Tik Tok dances, Teams and Zoom parties? Boris Johnson didn't need Tik Tok dances or Zoom because he was indulging in the real thing, and often by the look of it.
    The Tik Tok dances were absurd by the end. Embarrassing. Stop the fucking dancing, it can’t be that bad if you can work out a full 3 minute routine for 20 dancing parademics. Grow up

However, this does not exonerate the government. Boris has to go, morally. Enough. The question is whether he *has* to go, politically
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Surely we are now at the point that further evidence of further parties hits the law of diminishing returns. Rather than building up a tsunami of outrage it generates ennui.

We know that Boris and his team at No 10 did not think that the rules applied to them. We know that the PM was both involved and aware of what was going on and at least tolerated it because he thought it did more harm than good. We know that he repeatedly lied both to the country and to Parliament about his knowledge and his involvement.

And yet he is still there. The 53 letters have not arrived. Calls to resign have been ignored and spurned. Wait for Gray, we are told but what can she possibly tell us that we do not already know?

Last night we saw a modest bounceback in the polls for the government. Still pretty awful but a reduced deficit. It was only 1 poll and we need more but has Boris got through this? It's starting to look that way to me.

The problem for Conservative MPs is that Boris doesn't think he did anything wrong and so isn't going to make changes either to his own activities or to how Downing Street operates.

Which means that there is going to be a constant stream of scandals and political fuckups as long as Boris is there.

If you're a Conservative MP do you want that as the backdrop for the next two years ?
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    eek said:

Guido Fawkes
    @GuidoFawkes

If Gray is delayed for that reason I will march on Downing Street.
  • Options

Personally I now regard birthdays as an achievement!

As I was born on the 29th February I only get one every four years anyway !!!!!!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

geoffw said:

I can assure you that I hope BJ stays on stinking out the place for as long as poss.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941

Former US Ambassador to Moscow:

Talked to a few Ukrainian politicians today who were very grateful for new weapons coming into Ukraine. The UK got a special shout out.

https://twitter.com/mcfaul/status/1485816683373613056?s=21

UK is getting good press in Kiev this week.

Germany, on the other hand - well the mayor of the Ukranian capital wrote a column in a German newspaper, telling them to grow a spine. Oh, and Mr Klitchko used to be a heavyweight boxer!
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2022/01/24/germany-has-betrayed-ukraine-says-vitali-klitschko/
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

geoffw said:

a) I very much doubt that is true

b) He should have known what was going on and stopped it

c) So what anyway. The rest of them shouldn't have been doing it either. Was nobody in charge?

If every business and every family did the same there would have been no lockdown at all. It would have been life as normal wouldn't it.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

geoffw said:

But couldn't stop the non-stop parties in his garden

When I am unDictator of Britain, anyone holding party in my garden (which I can't go to) will have a Bill of Attainder against them before you can say Earl of Strafford 3 times.....
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    Good thread debunking the “only 17,000 died of COVID” argument:

https://twitter.com/VictimOfMaths/status/1485570730867765251?s=20
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

geoffw said:

Everything as only the views of 2019 Tory voters and Tory MPs matter as to whether Boris stays PM until the next general election given the Tory majority of 80
    The only person talking about polling is use - if a Tory MP is happy to live with Boris as their leader they will have explaining to do at the next election.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,979

eek said:

Guido Fawkes
    @GuidoFawkes

Hmm. Could be helpful for Johnson in the very short-term, but also more dangerous.
    So the Met Police wait until a few days before the report is due to say they’ll investigate! Looks like Cressida is desperate to pay back no 10 for keeping her in post . This would be an outrageous move given they’ve had weeks to do this .
  • Options

eek said:

Guido Fawkes
    @GuidoFawkes

Hmm. Could be helpful for Johnson in the very short-term, but also more dangerous.
    Oh FFS. Tell the sodding Met that as they are already late to the party they can delay a launch of investigation until end of the week when Gray has reported and MPs have debated.

Otherwise, we are just going to hear the words: "this is now a live police investigation and you will understand why i can't comment further at this time" every hour for next six months.
  • Options

DavidL said:

The problem for Conservative MPs is that Boris doesn't think he did anything wrong and so isn't going to make changes either to his own activities or to how Downing Street operates.

Which means that there is going to be a constant stream of scandals and political fuckups as long as Boris is there.

If you're a Conservative MP do you want that as the backdrop for the next two years ?
    I can only infer that the majority have looked at the alternatives and decided that they are better off where they are. They may be wrong of course but if that were not the case the story would have moved on already.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

eek said:

Guido Fawkes
    @GuidoFawkes

Oh FFS. Tell the sodding Met that as they are already late to the party they can delay a launch of investigation until end of the week when Gray has reported and MPs have debated.

Otherwise, we are just going to hear the words: "this is now a live police investigation and you will understand why i can't comment further at this time" every hour for next six months.
    Dick is so much in Johnson's pocket, and his situation is now so desperate, I think that might actually be the plan. 6 months of lame duckery.
  • Options

eek said:

Guido Fawkes
    @GuidoFawkes

I suspect that's the plan....
  • Options
    edited January 2022

As I was born on the 29th February I only get one every four years anyway !!!!!!
    In the 'off' years, do you celebrate on Feb 28th or March 1st? Personally I would do so on March 1st, as I increasing avoid celebrations in anticipation of an event.
    Particularly personal ones.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713

eek said:

Guido Fawkes
    @GuidoFawkes

But you know what... it's a tactic which a desperate person might use.
  • Options
    WHY IS LOOKING AT THE SEA SO SOOTHING?

That is the big question of the day. Because it is. You look at it, especially in warm sun, and something inside is calmed and stilled. is it the changing changelessness? The eternity-ness? Does it remind of us of the amniotic wash of the womb? The maternal heartbeat of the crumpling waves? Never ending and reassuring?

Or is it the ozone? Or the promise of other places? Escape? Or the idea of sushi?

*turns to look at sea*

*is soothed*
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Certainly is interesting timing from Dame Cressida. She'll say that it's because allegations have stepped up a notch, naturally, but it could be incredibly handy for the govt.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,894
    HYUFD said:

kjh said:

geoffw said:

I think Boris is the fat one on the left. I wondered why he was dressing up in his nurses outfit. Never knowingly misses a party
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,792

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

geoffw said:

When I am unDictator of Britain, anyone holding party in my garden (which I can't go to) will have a Bill of Attainder against them before you can say Earl of Strafford 3 times.....
    If it's a decent party, we might not be able to.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,988
    TimS said:

Applicant said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

FPT

boulay said:

So I am told.

Aaaargh
    Actually I forgot the stag trip for my best friend, which was enjoyable. 6 of us staying at my place in France and spending the days going round the Burgundy and Beaujolais countryside tasting and sourcing the wine for the wedding.
    That’s civilised and no doubt fun and reflects the best stag do’s I’ve been on but for pure evil you can’t beat hen parties.

You get a group of drunken women walk into the restaurant or bar with some of them wearing weird sashes like the worst Miss World competition ever. They have loads of helium balloons that get in everyone’s way but then they have giant inflatable cocks and cock shaped straws which are “hilarious” - especially when you look over at the French family enjoying their lunch on their weekend away trying to explain to their kids that this was the country that used to beat them in wars a lot.

Then if you have the misfortune to bump into a hen do in a bar or club later they have developed a Borisovian shield against the laws applying to them and decide that it’s quite alright to get gropey or try and grab you for a snog. If I wanted to be with an ugly drunk girl I would give Katy Price a call thanks…..
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    nico679 said:

eek said:

Guido Fawkes
    @GuidoFawkes

So the Met Police wait until a few days before the report is due to say they’ll investigate! Looks like Cressida is desperate to pay back no 10 for keeping her in post . This would be an outrageous move given they’ve had weeks to do this .
    But, but but Sue Gray's report uncovered evidence that has to be investigated.

And we must do that immediately as otherwise time will be lost.

Sorry but I don't buy it. If Sue Gray has identified the people who attended you can just fine them the appropriate amounts (for each party they attended) and leave things there.

Total time required about 3 hours max.
  • Options

eek said:

Guido Fawkes
    @GuidoFawkes

Are you saying that the reason the Met won't investigate the parties is because they turned up late to the parties. I wondered why I didn't see any coppers bopping in the pictures.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,028
    edited January 2022

Applicant said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

FPT

boulay said:

So I am told.

Aaaargh
    @Leon will be along soon to lambast your comment for evidencing the downfall of western society.
    It is a total beta move. You might as well stay home and play whist with your mum.

I wouldn't go to one now but I went to some brilliant ones when I was younger. I remember one in Llanduno (I was stationed at RAF Valley at the time) where we shaved the groom's pubes off and then spray painted his cock and balls. I recall the paint was Ford Nimbus Grey. He didn't get it all off before his wedding night.

When the same guy married again about 10 years later we put my motorbike lock round his neck on his stag night. I swallowed the key so he had to dig through my shit the next day to get it. (I can't claim creative credit for this, I saw it on the Dirty Sanchez TV show and was inspired.)

I've been to a few other much wilder ones in the Navy that I cannot detail as the usual pearl clutchers will get worked up.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

eek said:

Guido Fawkes
    @GuidoFawkes

It really does not look very good. At all. The reek of corruption is heady

• Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,753

eek said:

davidallengreen
    @davidallengreen

One thing I would much enjoy under a new PM is the certainty that JRM would be shown the door and back into irreverence. At least I really really hope he would,
    Yes, the clear out vs the survivors will be an interesting piece of theatre to watch, and one worthy of discussing odds.

Gone for good:
    - JRM
    - Patel
    - Dorries

Gone temporarily

- Kwarteng
    - Raab
    - Eustice
    - Braverman

Hanging on in there
    - Javid
    - Zahawi
    - Truss if she doesn't win PM
    - Sunak if he doesn't win PM
    - Ben Wallace
    - Sharma
    - Shapps
    - Gove?

Making a return
    - One of the CRG, probably Harper
    - A couple of young red wallers
    - who else? depends on who wins

Others I don't know well enough to read how they're seen
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,002
    Mr. Oracle, not handy for the Government. Handy for Boris Johnson.

The Met's decision looks extremely convenient for him. The imminent report is set aside for months on end. The Commissioner who owes her improbable occupational survival spends some time investigating he whom secured her ongoing career.

It looks alarmingly dubious.
  • Options
    Leon said:

That is the big question of the day. Because it is. You look at it, especially in warm sun, and something inside is calmed and stilled. is it the changing changelessness? The eternity-ness? Does it remind of us of the amniotic wash of the womb? The maternal heartbeat of the crumpling waves? Never ending and reassuring?

Or is it the ozone? Or the promise of other places? Escape? Or the idea of sushi?

*turns to look at sea*

*is soothed*

I think you're near. Something both vast and unchanging, and continually changing. If you're on the shore, added to that, this phenomenon is continually visiting you and departing you.
  • Options

Certainly is interesting timing from Dame Cressida. She'll say that it's because allegations have stepped up a notch, naturally, but it could be incredibly handy for the govt.

It's a fecking disgrace. Done nothing for weeks and now just as Gray is typing the last few sentences, Dick of the Yard decides to wake up and plod along down to Westminster to have a little root around.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,320
    Leon said:

*turns to look at sea*

*is soothed*

It's the amniotic wash of the womb, I'd imagine.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

geoffw said:

Good. So you accept that he broke the law. Repeatedly.

A PM who repeatedly breaks the law should resign, yes?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941

eek said:

eek said:

Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

Very much so. I’m dealing with a project at work, which involves upgrading a distributed network of 3G modems that work as part of an industrial control system.

The modems replaced ISDN lines four or five years ago, and we are debating whether to upgrade the 3G to 4G, or revert back to phone lines, which are more secure and not tied to frequent upgrade cycles.
  • Options
    Leon said:

*turns to look at sea*

*is soothed*

For most of human history, being near water was essential for survival. So it is very likely just genetic survival instincts imo.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,988
    IshmaelZ said:

eek said:

Guido Fawkes
    @GuidoFawkes

Dick is so much in Johnson's pocket, and his situation is now so desperate, I think that might actually be the plan. 6 months of lame duckery.
    If Dick had stayed in Johnson’s pocket then maybe Boris would have had an easier life……
  • Options
    Leon said:

nico679 said:

eek said:

Guido Fawkes
    @GuidoFawkes

It really does not look very good. At all. The reek of corruption is heady

Does that theory not require a degree of competence or insight on the part of the preening Ms Dick? That seems unlikely to me.
  • Options
    edited January 2022

DavidL said:

Why on earth not. Boris hasn't changed for the past 30 years and the Cons MPs (even most of us on PB) knew this. Boris is Boris. Saying they must get rid of him now would be as absurd as buying a dog and being upset when it barks.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

geoffw said:

And Russian soldiers are not threatening an invasion of Ukraine. They all just decided to go on holiday to the border regions at the same time for a spot of bird watching.
  • Options
    Leon said:

*turns to look at sea*

*is soothed*

NO ONE IS SOOTHED IF YOU SHOUT YOUR HEAD OFF ALL THE TIME.
  • Options

Leon said:

*turns to look at sea*

*is soothed*

For most of human history, being near water was essential for survival. So it is very likely just genetic survival instincts imo.
    The Sea is salt water - it provides food but not drinkable water, yet as Leon points out we head towards it for comfort.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Leon said:

*turns to look at sea*

*is soothed*

I am.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

geoffw said:

If it's a decent party, we might not be able to.
    Anyone working in government unable to say "Earl of Strafford" 3 times in succession, during working hours, will be on the list of Bills of Attainder....

'Tis a sharp remedy, but a sure cure......
  • Options
    Leon said:

*turns to look at sea*

*is soothed*

Though I suspect if you were watching the sea in Southend or Blackpool in January rather than the warm Indian Ocean in the sun it may not be quite as soothing
  • Options

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

geoffw said:

And Russian soldiers are not threatening an invasion of Ukraine. They all just decided to go on holiday to the border regions at the same time for a spot of bird watching.
    Well we know Russians like visiting cathedrals, so why not bird watching too!
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Leon said:

*turns to look at sea*

*is soothed*

The soothingness of the sea is a function of the fact that SeanT is floating behind the boat somewhere in your wake, in the vague middle distance. The cries are getting fainter.

Time for tea...
  • Options

In the 'off' years, do you celebrate on Feb 28th or March 1st? Personally I would do so on March 1st, as I increasing avoid celebrations in anticipation of an event.
    Particularly personal ones.
    As a child I had two as my mother always said I was born the first day after the 29th, ie 1st March but my father insisted I was born in February, ie 28th

I remember being in Cape Town hiring a car on the 1st March 2011 and my driving licence was 50 years old that day

2024 is my 20th birthday and 60th wedding anniversary, also a GE probably
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,135

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

What’s to celebrate?

Went to Sri Lanka on a cricket-watching trip quite a few years ago. Indeed, a very pleasant place to be.
    Sri Lanka is my favourite place. My wife's family are from there and I'm hoping that we get to spend a lot more time there when we retire - I have visions of a hamock on a verandah, the sound of birds in the trees, a warm breeze with the aroma of something deliciously spicy cooking for lunch...
  • Options

Leon said:

*turns to look at sea*

*is soothed*

I am sure the sense of freedom and escape is crucial in the way the sea subconsciously lifts us. It’s hard to feel stuck if you are right next to the sea. And even tho the water is salt, if you are by the sea you just have to walk down the shore and eventually - unless you are in terrible desert country - you will find a freshwater river greeting the sea

This is all encoded in our language. The fundamentality of the sea. The English word for “soul” comes from the Old English/Germanic “saiwalo” - meaning: “of the sea”

From the sea our souls have come, and to the sea our souls return

I have only had two beers. Wait til my third
  • Options

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

geoffw said:

Good. So you accept that he broke the law. Repeatedly.

A PM who repeatedly breaks the law should resign, yes?
    No, he was at No 10 doing essential work with a few breaks in between
  • Options
    eek said:

nico679 said:

eek said:

Guido Fawkes
    @GuidoFawkes

But, but but Sue Gray's report uncovered evidence that has to be investigated.

And we must do that immediately as otherwise time will be lost.

Sorry but I don't buy it. If Sue Gray has identified the people who attended you can just fine them the appropriate amounts (for each party they attended) and leave things there.

Total time required about 3 hours max.
    The police have their own (separate from no 10) cctv of the parties, their officers were witnesses to people arriving and leaving. If they wanted to do anything it would be done already.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

*turns to look at sea*

*is soothed*

Though I suspect if you were watching the sea in Southend or Blackpool in January rather than the warm Indian Ocean in the sun it may not be quite as soothing
    I could drive up to Shields today (mainly because we have a family flat with a sea view) and just seeing the sea is soothing. The only time it isn't is when there is a full on storm and then because we are far enough in land to not be at risk of flooding the storm waves are equally mesmerising for different reasons.

* Don't go that often because it's only 40 minutes home.
This discussion has been closed.