Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

It’s now odds-on that BJ will be replaced by the end of 2022 – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,271
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

algarkirk said:

IanB2 said:

A few comments from ConHome:

"Johnson really is in cloud cuckoo land. Until he recognises that it is his sleaze and lying that is the real message of this defeat then there is no hope for this party"

"Is Brexit sustainable? It was voted in by the elderly years ago. There is no economic good news from it. Nothing for Brits to look forward to. More unnecessary pain."

"News about Downing Street Christmas Parties in Lockdown London, the video of Allegra Stratton laughing about it, Parties in Lockdown at Conservative Central HQ and Boris Johnson, Wallpaper and the Conservative donor and the barbecue Party in May 2020 - all this filled the masses with rage at the Government and at Boris Johnson in particular."

"As a Conservative voter the message I wish to leave with the Parliamentary Party is that you and Johnson between you have lost the North Shropshire bye election. You have done as you usually managed to do and that is to indulge your own preferences over the best interests of the country."

"The government needs to manage the country competently and stop being so sleazy and lying in the process. There seems only one cure for that."

"I would commend the Sam Coates Sky TV journalist interview today with Boris. As a Boris supporter his responses were dire. NOT what was needed right now. He doesn’t appear to * get it* !"

"The shine seems to be coming off Brexit here in North Shropshire, or at least it is much less of a tribal issue. "

"Boris Johnson's personal qualities make him unfit to hold any responsible job whatsoever."

"Unless there is major change the Party won't win the next GE. The shambles Johnston has made of Covid (first round of Vaccines excepted) will not count by then but high taxes, big state, high inflation and loss of civil liberties etc will."

"My local drinking group is fairly straightforward - they will tolerate a lot but hate with a passion being lied to. And that's the PM's modus operandi: lie, cheat and deceive when he was been found out about the parties last Christmas. Plus they greatly dislike the whiff of double-standards and downright corruption associated with attempting to get Paterson off the hook when he was clearly bang to rights."

"Conservatives in places like North Shropshire voted for Brexit because they believed Boris's promises that they would benefit. However, this largely rural constituency- especially its farmers - now realise they were lied to."

"Time for Bojo to go. Not only has he become a political joke he is in danger of single-handedly pushing the Conservative Party into oblivion."

"I'm pleased we lost, it may get rid of Johnson"

"This all comes back to Brexit. The way in which this was handled means that the party has lost the support of a substantial block of its traditional voters."

"This is clearly a protest vote against Johnson and his bunch of incompetents."

Err, why did they all vote for him then? I struggle to believe people can be politically aware enough to join conhome but not have known who Boris really was in 2019.

The truth is they did not mind the corruption or lies when they thought he was on their side. If he can re-frame it so he is on their side again, he will be fine.
    Because all politics is relative. In 2019 you voted for a government led by Boris or one led by Jezza.

And in 2019 no other way was available (except Labour unicorns) out of the Brexit mire.

Nah, Con Home is where Boris fever took hold and brought down the existing Tory government. They choose Boris over Cameron, May, Javid, Gove, Stewart and Hunt, not just over Corbyn.
    Quite right too, he was by far the best candidate at the time. He got the country out of the Brexit morass and saw off Corbyn with an 80 seat majority. Mission accomplished!

The problem is that voters don't (and shouldn't) do gratitude. That's done now, he's served his purpose, the question is who's best for the future and right now it seems hard to think that Boris is the answer.
    Out of the morass? Bit early to claim that. UK split legally and economically as well as geographically, inward customs still not implemented, and so on. But it's Friday evening and dinner calls. Night all.
    Yes we are out of the morass. We were in a mess with an agreement with a backstop that Parliament quite rightly wouldn't back, but nor would they back anything else. Article 50 just kept being extended and there were no viable alternatives.

Boris had a solution for that, Hunt and May didn't. So the members made the right choice.

Yes there may be issues going forwards, but that's the future's problem. That's not the same as the problems of the past. As I said, Boris dealt with the problems we had then, that's not the same thing as saying he'll be best for the problems of the future.
    La La La La La
    Why don't you regale us all with the one about how the UK Treasury will be paying an independent Scotland's pensions?
    Away you cretin , losers always whine when found out , typical lying Tory. I said they would hav eto pay up as part of teh settlement and that would cover the pension payments Scots had made. Another snivelling little Tory jessie boy, GIRUY.
    Malcolmg there, the voice of reasonable, tolerant civic nationalism. Not some pissed up numpty, spouting homophobic hate, no siree...
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,618

This scenario from Imperial, for a hypothetical LMIC "with substantial prior transmission and low vaccine access", says a country like South Africa will see 6,000 Omicron deaths *a day* (current 7-day average: 31)

Sorry, I'm not a maths-brain, but this can't possibly be right.

https://twitter.com/RufusSG

It's absurd. This is what they've been reduced to in order to push for more lockdowns. It's almost like they're addicted to having this power over everyone's lives and don't want to give it up.

Go on Boris, listen to them, try and go for restrictions. Please. It's time for the nation to be rid of you.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

IanB2 said:

Any Italians on the site? Can you give me an authentic bolognese recipe?

Spaghetti bolognese isn’t actually a genuine Italian dish.

Google spaghetti al ragu.
    This is the best I've tried. Slow cooking in mik - seems odd but wow, the flavour is stupendous.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2010/nov/25/how-to-make-perfect-bolognese
    best ragu I have ever made, alas behind the pay wall of $1: https://www.177milkstreet.com/recipes/ragú-bolognese
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

algarkirk said:

IanB2 said:

"Johnson really is in cloud cuckoo land. Until he recognises that it is his sleaze and lying that is the real message of this defeat then there is no hope for this party"

"Is Brexit sustainable? It was voted in by the elderly years ago. There is no economic good news from it. Nothing for Brits to look forward to. More unnecessary pain."

"News about Downing Street Christmas Parties in Lockdown London, the video of Allegra Stratton laughing about it, Parties in Lockdown at Conservative Central HQ and Boris Johnson, Wallpaper and the Conservative donor and the barbecue Party in May 2020 - all this filled the masses with rage at the Government and at Boris Johnson in particular."

"As a Conservative voter the message I wish to leave with the Parliamentary Party is that you and Johnson between you have lost the North Shropshire bye election. You have done as you usually managed to do and that is to indulge your own preferences over the best interests of the country."

"The government needs to manage the country competently and stop being so sleazy and lying in the process. There seems only one cure for that."

"I would commend the Sam Coates Sky TV journalist interview today with Boris. As a Boris supporter his responses were dire. NOT what was needed right now. He doesn’t appear to * get it* !"

"The shine seems to be coming off Brexit here in North Shropshire, or at least it is much less of a tribal issue. "

"Boris Johnson's personal qualities make him unfit to hold any responsible job whatsoever."

"Unless there is major change the Party won't win the next GE. The shambles Johnston has made of Covid (first round of Vaccines excepted) will not count by then but high taxes, big state, high inflation and loss of civil liberties etc will."

"My local drinking group is fairly straightforward - they will tolerate a lot but hate with a passion being lied to. And that's the PM's modus operandi: lie, cheat and deceive when he was been found out about the parties last Christmas. Plus they greatly dislike the whiff of double-standards and downright corruption associated with attempting to get Paterson off the hook when he was clearly bang to rights."

"Conservatives in places like North Shropshire voted for Brexit because they believed Boris's promises that they would benefit. However, this largely rural constituency- especially its farmers - now realise they were lied to."

"Time for Bojo to go. Not only has he become a political joke he is in danger of single-handedly pushing the Conservative Party into oblivion."

"This all comes back to Brexit. The way in which this was handled means that the party has lost the support of a substantial block of its traditional voters."

Err, why did they all vote for him then? I struggle to believe people can be politically aware enough to join conhome but not have known who Boris really was in 2019.

The truth is they did not mind the corruption or lies when they thought he was on their side. If he can re-frame it so he is on their side again, he will be fine.
    Because all politics is relative. In 2019 you voted for a government led by Boris or one led by Jezza.

And in 2019 no other way was available (except Labour unicorns) out of the Brexit mire.

Nah, Con Home is where Boris fever took hold and brought down the existing Tory government. They choose Boris over Cameron, May, Javid, Gove, Stewart and Hunt, not just over Corbyn.
    Quite right too, he was by far the best candidate at the time. He got the country out of the Brexit morass and saw off Corbyn with an 80 seat majority. Mission accomplished!

The problem is that voters don't (and shouldn't) do gratitude. That's done now, he's served his purpose, the question is who's best for the future and right now it seems hard to think that Boris is the answer.
    Out of the morass? Bit early to claim that. UK split legally and economically as well as geographically, inward customs still not implemented, and so on. But it's Friday evening and dinner calls. Night all.
    Yes we are out of the morass. We were in a mess with an agreement with a backstop that Parliament quite rightly wouldn't back, but nor would they back anything else. Article 50 just kept being extended and there were no viable alternatives.

Boris had a solution for that, Hunt and May didn't. So the members made the right choice.

Yes there may be issues going forwards, but that's the future's problem. That's not the same as the problems of the past. As I said, Boris dealt with the problems we had then, that's not the same thing as saying he'll be best for the problems of the future.
    La La La La La
    Why don't you regale us all with the one about how the UK Treasury will be paying an independent Scotland's pensions?
    Away you cretin , losers always whine when found out , typical lying Tory. I said they would hav eto pay up as part of teh settlement and that would cover the pension payments Scots had made. Another snivelling little Tory jessie boy, GIRUY.
    You haven't made any pension payments. Your generation never bothered saving anything for pensions, you instead accrued pension liabilities instead.
    You really are thick, I am getting the state pension I contributed to for 50 years and I also have a shedload in personal pension and I don't pay NI. You on the other hand will hopefully get F all , your just desserts for being such a bellend.
    Sorry but you're the thickie

You never contributed to the state pension, there is no state pension pot. There is no pile of cash marked "pension contributions" that you contributed towards that you're now drawing down or can be distributed to Scotland upon independence.

Pensions are a liability, not a saving or something you've contributed to. You've fallen for a lie if you thought it was something you had.
    Yet I get sent my state pension every 4 weeks and get increases regularly, even got my winter fuel payment recently. You think they are paying me for nothing.
    No, I think they are paying you bribes with our taxes in order to try and get your vote.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,429
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

algarkirk said:

IanB2 said:

La La La La La
    You haven't made any pension payments. Your generation never bothered saving anything for pensions, you instead accrued pension liabilities instead.
    You really are thick, I am getting the state pension I contributed to for 50 years and I also have a shedload in personal pension and I don't pay NI. You on the other hand will hopefully get F all , your just desserts for being such a bellend.

You never contributed to the state pension, there is no state pension pot. There is no pile of cash marked "pension contributions" that you contributed towards that you're now drawing down or can be distributed to Scotland upon independence.

Pensions are a liability, not a saving or something you've contributed to. You've fallen for a lie if you thought it was something you had.
    Yet I get sent my state pension every 4 weeks and get increases regularly, even got my winter fuel payment recently. You think they are paying me for nothing.
    Be grateful. After independence you’ll just get a bag of oats every month.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,067
    Cicero said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

algarkirk said:

IanB2 said:

La La La La La
    Malcolmg there, the voice of reasonable, tolerant civic nationalism. Not some pissed up numpty, spouting homophobic hate, no siree...
    Back to your knitting
  • Options
    edited December 2021

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

algarkirk said:

IanB2 said:

La La La La La

No, I think they are paying you bribes with our taxes in order to try and get your vote.
    Oh Dear, even for you that is crass.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,177
    I don’t understand all the fuss. Who better to investigate a party that never happened than somebody who attended it?
    https://twitter.com/BarristerSecret/status/1471928668628869127
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,584
    kinabalu said:

Case is off the case, I see.

No doubt Lord Geidt will now be summoned to give a clean bill of health to the illegal Xmas parties legal after-work gatherings.

The incompetence is beyond belief. Setting aside for a moment the absurdity of pretending such an investigation was going to be independent, how on earth could they not have spotted that Case himself was likely to be implicated in the stuff that he was investigating?

There's a fundamental lack of basic competence, let alone integrity, at the heart of government at the moment. If I were a Tory, I'd be very worried. Luckily, I'm not.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,615
    kinabalu said:

Good evening IIRC you wondered recently when I would suggest that the odds were other than about equal between the next GE giving us a Tory majority or a centre left Labour led alliance of some sort (then at about 45+% each, with the remainder being the small chance of a Labour government.)

The answer is Now. I was wrong in thinking that the Tories would scrape home yesterday at NS, and I think the result shifts the balance.

Recent events greatly increase the chance that Boris will not fight the next election. He is good at elections. There is no candidate to replace him obviously good at elections. There is a danger of an unelectable candidate, and no certainty of a good one. The centre left voters may be getting better at tactical voting making marginal gains. Labour are getting better at not giving hostages.

• Options

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Case is off the partygate case because of an alleged case under Case

It is possible to imagine someone in Downing Street uttering THIS sentence at about 4pm this afternoon:

"Who's on the Case case? Case?"

We could even have heard a

"Who is on the Case case case? Case?"

Obviously still not as good as the immortal

Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo

https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_buffalo_Buffalo_buffalo_buffalo_buffalo_Buffalo_buffalo
    The Buffalo one is rubbish. You invariably have to explain the verb form of the word to people. Nobody here uses that word.
    Of course it's rubbish. The important thing is that it is grammatically correct and makes a coherent assertion

English is a brilliantly mad language
    The fucking fucker's fucking fucked.

Or

Fuck! The fucking fucker's fucking fucked. Fuck!
    That's nothing. The word "set" has 91 different English meanings according to the Wiktionary.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/set

• Options
    https://ricette.giallozafferano.it/Ragu-alla-bolognese.html

This is a good recipe, made it a few times. Google translate does a good enough job of you don't speak Italian.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

No doubt Lord Geidt will now be summoned to give a clean bill of health to the illegal Xmas parties legal after-work gatherings.

The incompetence is beyond belief. Setting aside for a moment the absurdity of pretending such an investigation was going to be independent, how on earth could they not have spotted that Case himself was likely to be implicated in the stuff that he was investigating?

There's a fundamental lack of basic competence, let alone integrity, at the heart of government at the moment. If I were a Tory, I'd be very worried. Luckily, I'm not.
    Thick as mince despite having aquired supposed fancy degree's.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

I don’t understand all the fuss. Who better to investigate a party that never happened than somebody who attended it?

Perfectly sums up Boris Britain.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,733
    edited December 2021
    I give up betting on by-elections.

I completely misread the signs throughout the campaign and count.

Well done @MikeSmithson @Pulpstar and others who made money. I’ll pay more attention to your posts in future!
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,054
    MaxPB said:

This scenario from Imperial, for a hypothetical LMIC "with substantial prior transmission and low vaccine access", says a country like South Africa will see 6,000 Omicron deaths *a day* (current 7-day average: 31)

It's absurd. This is what they've been reduced to in order to push for more lockdowns. It's almost like they're addicted to having this power over everyone's lives and don't want to give it up.

Go on Boris, listen to them, try and go for restrictions. Please. It's time for the nation to be rid of you.
    I think that's a bit OTT but I am struggling to understand it.

CFR in South Africa has gone through the floor. Now there could be a lag effect but there comes a point where you have to start believing it's a milder variant.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,584
    malcolmg said:

kinabalu said:

Thick as mince despite having aquired supposed fancy degree's.
    I do hope you're not referring to me? (Anyway, I can spell acquired).
  • Options
    Guardian: As the storm clouds gather, Conservative MPs are united in believing that if the government is to regain the public’s trust, Johnson will have to change his approach significantly – but divided about whether he is capable of doing so. “He has to take some drastic action. He needs to show tangible action to show he gets it,” said one frontbencher.

Johnson has few genuine friends in the parliamentary Conservative party, and his popularity with colleagues was always contingent on his campaigning prowess. Yet one fear his MPs now have is that the very qualities that once made Johnson a winner with the public – his roguishness and devil-may-care approach to politics and life in general – are precisely those that have become electorally toxic.

Paula Surridge, an elections expert at the University of Bristol, said: “My instinct is that he’s in real trouble now, because I think what you’re getting is a blend of the grief and anger and emotion of the last 18 months attaching itself to these endless stories of parties and rule-breaking, and I think that’s going to be a really dangerous combination and really difficult for both Boris Johnson and the Conservative party more generally to shake off.

But senior MPs are also sceptical about how much Johnson is likely to be able to sharpen up his act. “It’s not about ‘Downing Street’, it’s him,” one minister said. “We have the problems we have because either he’s caused them, or his whole approach means other people do things they really shouldn’t. So it will be down to what he chooses to do.”

• Options
    TimT said:

IanB2 said:

This is the best I've tried. Slow cooking in mik - seems odd but wow, the flavour is stupendous.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2010/nov/25/how-to-make-perfect-bolognese
    best ragu I have ever made, alas behind the pay wall of $1: https://www.177milkstreet.com/recipes/ragú-bolognese
    I use Claudia Rosen's recipe. Diced veg, mince, bacon, red wine, stock, tomato puree, slow cooked. Stir in cream towards the end The most important thing is to serve with flat pasta, fettuccine or tagliatelle. Mince just doesn't stick to spaghetti. Matching pasta to the sauce is an important part of Italian cuisine we ignore.
  • Options
    NEW Simon Case's investigation will be concluded by Sue Gray, former propriety and ethics chief, Downing Street has announced https://twitter.com/hzeffman/status/1471931396138672132/photo/1
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

It is either Kafka or Armando - take your pick.

• Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,774
    edited December 2021
    MaxPB said:

Next Tory leader Mark Harper. You heard it here first.

66:1 by the way.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,313
    Scott_xP said:

NEW Simon Case's investigation will be concluded by Sue Gray, former propriety and ethics chief, Downing Street has announced https://twitter.com/hzeffman/status/1471931396138672132/photo/1

I would love it, just love it if she was there too...
  • Options
    maaarsh said:

Add milk, thank me later.

And you're after a Ragu - in Bologna they don't do what you want.
    You sound like you know, can you give me your recipe? :)
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

861,306 booster vaccinations in 🇬🇧 yesterday (469,479 the previous Thursday)

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 739,867 (including me, wahey)
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 63,327
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 34,012
    NI 24,100

If its literally yesterday I was in those figures too, though I always suspect there's a 2-days lag on the data.

Getting close to a million now. Its going to peak lower than I thought because its going to run out of people to jab.
    Plus firsts and seconds I think we may get pretty close to 1m doses overall and we're still probably not at full capacity utilisation.
    It's on the dashboard now, 935,000. Good to see 1st and 2nd doses up to c 70,000
  • Options
    Johnson's administration really does now have a fin de siecle feel to it. Decadence, decay, corruption.

Putrid to the very core.

• Options
    If it's not bolognese I want, please can I have a genuine recipe for the genuine thing it is, if possible :)
  • Options
    Important leak to my colleague Jim tonight below - SAGE minutes suggest tougher restrictions needed before New Year if we're to avoid 3k people going to hospital every day
    https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1471932874261770248
    https://twitter.com/jim_reed/status/1471915719117971456
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,796

If it's not bolognese I want, please can I have a genuine recipe for the genuine thing it is, if possible :)

• Options

Johnson's administration really does now have a fin de siecle feel to it. Decadence, decay, corruption.

Putrid to the very core.

It's had that since day 1
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,313
    Scott_xP said:

Important leak to my colleague Jim tonight below - SAGE minutes suggest tougher restrictions needed before New Year if we're to avoid 3k people going to hospital every day

Hang on, I thought 5000 were dying a day? It’s so hard to keep up with the bullshit numbers...
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited December 2021
    Scott_xP said:

Do SAGE every not leak straight away now....
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,894
    Evening all :)

Moving away from statistics and epidemiology to politics and polls for a moment (who'd have thunk it?).

An interesting poll from France this evening from Cluster 21:

Changes from equivalent candidate in 2017:

Macron (LREM): 22% (-2)
    Pécresse (LR): 18% (-2)
    Zemmour (REC): 15% (+15)
    Le Pen (RN): 15% (-6)
    Mélenchon (LFI): 13% (-7)

Pecresse's honeymoon continues for now and it's fascinating to see Zemmour and Le Pen tied and both set to be eliminated in Round 1. On that basis, you'd think the numbers look solid for Pecresse in round 2 to eke out a narrow victory over Macron.

Let's not forget we also have the Slovenian election on April 24th - the current government headed by Janez Jansa's Slovenian Democratic Party is a minority but faces a hugely fragmented opposition grouping.
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,271
    malcolmg said:

Cicero said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

algarkirk said:

IanB2 said:

La La La La La
    Back to your knitting
    You still might want to retract the "Jessie boy" comment since even Alba, the pensioners version of the SNP, might consider it a bit out off message. Alternatively stay on the swally and share the joy of the millionaires playground of Cumbernauld.
  • Options
    Putting Sue Gray - slayer of ministers through the ages - in charge of Partygate ups the ante.

Cabinet Secretary Simon Case often said to be more courtier than enforcer. Gray doesn’t pull punches, as many has have found to their cost.

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1471933535787307021
  • Options
    Seems to me that we're in big trouble and the Imperial study is not good news at all, can somebody tell me what I'm missing?
  • Options

TimT said:

IanB2 said:

I use Claudia Rosen's recipe. Diced veg, mince, bacon, red wine, stock, tomato puree, slow cooked. Stir in cream towards the end The most important thing is to serve with flat pasta, fettuccine or tagliatelle. Mince just doesn't stick to spaghetti. Matching pasta to the sauce is an important part of Italian cuisine we ignore.
    We tend to add stuff to make it more "interesting". Peppers, garlic, herbs etc. Problem is an authentic pasta sauce isn't supposed to be particularly interesting..it should sauce the pasta nicely, but it is only a starter and should be followed by a meat or fish dish with veg or salad on the side. But I expect we will have Cyclefree on shortly with her favourite Sicilian pasta sauce.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

algarkirk said:

IanB2 said:

La La La La La

Oh Dear, even for you that is crass.
    The truth is crass.

Were you seriously so naïve as to think the winter fuel payment or the state pension was coming from a pot of money you'd contributed towards? I really think you're smarter than that, surely? 😂
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,238

Official recipe:

https://www.accademiaitalianadellacucina.it/it/ricette/ricetta/ragù-classico-bolognese
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,001
    edited December 2021
    Sunday 19th (Recording Saturday's jabs) will be the largest number of the entire pandemic I think. After that we run into the fact next weekend is christmas; then after that we hit New Year's slowdown & in January demand limitation slowing the pace.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,894
    TimS said:

MaxPB said:

The killing blow will be the first polls which show a Conservative Party led by Sunak or Truss back in the lead over Labour - the divergence of culpability between the Party and the leader is the key.

If this were a 92-97 scenario, it would make no difference who was the leader - the people would have turned against the Conservative Party. If this is more a 90 scenario, the hostility would be solely at the door of the Prime Minister - the Party could wipe the slate clean with a new leader.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,517
    Edinboro Castle. Huge popular boozer ten yards from my Camden flat. Massive heated beer garden

Three weeks ago, packed at weekends. Tonight, Friday night, seven days from Christmas, maybe 10% full. Barely a dozen drinkers

We in de facto lockdown anyway. Hospitality is being slaughtered
  • Options
    Thanks all.

If you have any other authentic pasta recipes I should try, would love to hear them :)
  • Options
    Leon said:

Edinboro Castle. Huge popular boozer ten yards from my Camden flat. Massive heated beer garden

Three weeks ago, packed at weekends. Tonight, Friday night, seven days from Christmas, maybe 10% full. Barely a dozen drinkers

Or everybody in London has covid and they are isolating....
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,899

Latest from South Africa is:

509 in ICU
    564 in high care

195 ventilated
    1280 oxygenated

The numbers on ventilators appear to have fallen.

They died
  • Options
    TimS said:

MaxPB said:

Lol, I'm already on at 150 with Hills!
  • Options
    Leon said:

Where the fuck is Sunak?

There will be no pubs left by March if he doesn't do something like NOW.
  • Options
    More hopium, but my favourite if ever so too snarky Covid twitterer Francois Balloux summarises the good news for us:

https://twitter.com/ballouxfrancois/status/1471906124039397379?s=21
  • Options

There's a lot here (the recipes are in English) including the Claudia Roden recipe I use. In practice, I replace the veg with Waitrose frozen soffrito. https://puma-blanca.livejournal.com/76643.html
  • Options
    Leon said:

We were supposed to be there tomorrow night, 7 out of 8 have got the big Omi. I wouldn't be surprised if close to 1 in 10 under 40s have got it right now.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Putrid to the very core.

It's had that since day 1
    It has, but there are a couple of differences now.

One is that everyone hoped that, somehow, BoJo would do the "Prince Hal to King Henry" thing on attaining office. Or after winning a General Election. Or sometime. He hasn't, because he can't.

(The brutal reality is that he probably had to be given a go as PM, or he would have just kept making life hell for the occupants bof No 10.)

The other is that he's smirking at everyone who tried to keep the rules over the last couple of years.

Heaven knows what happens next.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Noone wants the isolation period over christmas day !
  • Options
    From that SAGE leak

‘My note that 'after step 2' would mean closing indoor hospitality and back to six people/two households inside. Whereas 'after step 1' would add no mixing whatsoever indoors and closing non-essential retail]. 6/10’

They want this BEFORE Jan 1. It’s actually worse than I predicted

And there’s a tiny hint this could last ‘for months’
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Leon said:

From that SAGE leak

‘My note that 'after step 2' would mean closing indoor hospitality and back to six people/two households inside. Whereas 'after step 1' would add no mixing whatsoever indoors and closing non-essential retail]. 6/10’

I am pretty sure Witty has been pushing this when Plan B was announced. It was absolutely clear he wasn't on board with Plan B or Plan B++.
  • Options

I recall Elizabeth David's Ragù as being pretty good when I've been arsed to follow it. Can't lay my hands on her original book at the mo but this is a précis. I'm almost certain that the original specified white wine and had finely chopped beef & pork.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/food/article-3715033/Elizabeth-David-s-irresistible-Italian-Tagliatelle-alla-bolognese.html
  • Options

Seems to me that we're in big trouble and the Imperial study is not good news at all, can somebody tell me what I'm missing?

The fact the Imperial study is utter bullshit. Iraq dossier levels of bullshit. 45 minutes.
  • Options
    Good to see Oliver Letwin's first rule of Whitehall still holds true after all these years https://twitter.com/Jack_Blanchard_/status/1471934256846938113/photo/1
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Putting Sue Gray - slayer of ministers through the ages - in charge of Partygate ups the ante.

Cabinet Secretary Simon Case often said to be more courtier than enforcer. Gray doesn’t pull punches, as many has have found to their cost.

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1471933535787307021

Tough gig.

Trying to show there were illegal parties over xmas across Whitehall when the only reason you got the investigating job is because the original investigator had to resign because he held an illegal party in Whitehall.

I reckon she might be done in, say, a day.

• Options
    edited December 2021

A 93-95% reduction in severe symptoms is great news, it confirms that three dose efficacy is exactly what we were hoping for.

Oh wait, you mean the model, that's not a study it's a predictive model, it also predicted 4x as many cases as we got with Delta and 3x as many deaths post July unlockdown. It's worthless.
  • Options
    I did say 2 weeks ago it was all following the same predictable pattern in terms leaks, media rounds, leaks, media, etc ...
  • Options
    Bloody hell, Mark Steel has actually come out with a funny joke.

Chris Witty should announce sternly that it's now clear the number of people who despise Johnson is doubling every two days, and we have to accept it will have affected everyone by Christmas, especially anyone who's been in close contact with him.

https://twitter.com/mrmarksteel/status/1471791236306636801
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,996
    "UK researchers have analysed the likely impact that a Covid booster shot will have on Omicron and say it could provide around 85% protection against severe illness."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-59696499
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,796
    Leon said:

We were at Bournemouth yesterday to see Bill Bailey. The show was pretty much fully-booked out in advance (I checked beforehand, only a handful of odd seats available).

On the night, I'd say it was about 80% full, so not bad, but it looks like circa 20% had decided to take the hit, lose the ticket fee and not attend.

98% wearing a mask I'd say.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,899
    New FIA president Mohammed ben Sulayem has refused to rule out punishing Lewis Hamilton for boycotting its awards ceremony on Thursday.

Hamilton and Mercedes team principal Toto Wolff did not attend in protest at the handling of the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix last Sunday.

Formula 1 rules dictate that the top three drivers in the championship must attend.

"If there is any breach, there is no forgiveness in this," Ben Sulayem said.

Asked to clarify whether he was saying Hamilton would be penalised for not attending the gala, he said: "Forgiveness is always there. But rules are rules.

If RULES WERE RULES Lewis would be crowned champion FFS
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

Scott_xP said:

Hang on, I thought 5000 were dying a day? It’s so hard to keep up with the bullshit numbers...
    So are they trying to say 2,000 will be dying each day before they get to hospital?!?

based on what we know already and what can be logically concluded, I would be willing to bet there will be less that 5,000 deaths Total from Omicron in the next 3 months. Don't know how we would know for certain which deaths are Omicron, but still that's my prediction, and depending on the odds I might go as far to say less than 5,000 Omicron deaths in the next 12 months.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Leon said:

Why are you in the least surprised?

The only way hospitality would have survived is if Johnson had decided a positive Covid test didn't mean having to self-isolate.

As I've seen and heard first hand, nobody is "scared" of Omicron but people are terrified of not being able to spend Christmas with their loved ones and/or families. A positive test kills Christmas - if that means the pre-Christmas festivities have to be eschewed in order to keep covid-free, a lot of people are more than happy to pay that price.

That doesn't apply to everyone and for some the pre-Christmas festivities and socialising make up for what might actually be a lonely and quiet Christmas Day itself. For those people, gathering in pubs, restaurants and the like with friends and colleagues IS their Christmas.

The romanticised idyll of families round a big table with a huge lunch may work for many but it's far from a reality for all.
    I’m one of those this year. My family is fragmented by Covid in multiple ways. It’s gonna take 6 hours of driving to allow me to see one daughter in london and also at least one parent on the same day

Not fun. Not merry at all

I was looking forward to quite a few pre Xmas get togethers to boost my mood. Only a couple survived

Ah well. Haddaway and shite. At least I met god on ayahuasca

I really pity those who now have no Xmas at all, and thereafter are staring at another winter lockdown
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,713
    TimS said:

MaxPB said:

It's not Harper they need, it's Harpic, to get rid of the stench that Bozo has created.
  • Options
    Competition Update:

Highest Boosters to date: 861,306 (today)
    Nearest estimate: @carnyx (854,217)
    Next nearest: @Richard_Nabavi (896,322)

Eliminated entries:
    @Endillion 525,600
    @MightyAlex 700,000
    @Cyclefree 723,527
    @Eabhal 825,000
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391

Scott_xP said:

Yep but most of them will die twice - good practice for end of Jan when we're each going to have to die every hour with only a 6 hour sleep break.
  • Options
    Leon said:

From that SAGE leak

Boris will never survive it. Quite simply the party would tell him and the scientists to get fucked. He loses the leadership, Mark Harper or another Tory MP says "fuck lockdown" and wins.
  • Options

New FIA president Mohammed ben Sulayem has refused to rule out punishing Lewis Hamilton for boycotting its awards ceremony on Thursday.

Hamilton and Mercedes team principal Toto Wolff did not attend in protest at the handling of the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix last Sunday.

Formula 1 rules dictate that the top three drivers in the championship must attend.

Asked to clarify whether he was saying Hamilton would be penalised for not attending the gala, he said: "Forgiveness is always there. But rules are rules.

Might as well correct Abu Dhabi but then disqualify Lewis for this - would be much more satisfactory and they still get to fix it for their dutch pet.
  • Options
    Leon said:

stodge said:

Leon said:

Why are you in the least surprised?

The only way hospitality would have survived is if Johnson had decided a positive Covid test didn't mean having to self-isolate.

As I've seen and heard first hand, nobody is "scared" of Omicron but people are terrified of not being able to spend Christmas with their loved ones and/or families. A positive test kills Christmas - if that means the pre-Christmas festivities have to be eschewed in order to keep covid-free, a lot of people are more than happy to pay that price.

That doesn't apply to everyone and for some the pre-Christmas festivities and socialising make up for what might actually be a lonely and quiet Christmas Day itself. For those people, gathering in pubs, restaurants and the like with friends and colleagues IS their Christmas.

The romanticised idyll of families round a big table with a huge lunch may work for many but it's far from a reality for all.
    I’m one of those this year. My family is fragmented by Covid in multiple ways. It’s gonna take 6 hours of driving to allow me to see one daughter in london and also at least one parent on the same day

Not fun. Not merry at all

I was looking forward to quite a few pre Xmas get togethers to boost my mood. Only a couple survived

Ah well. Haddaway and shite. At least I met god on ayahuasca

I really pity those who now have no Xmas at all, and thereafter are staring at another winter lockdown
    I agree. My Kingston pub crawl is still on tomorrow (I checked) and I have heard nothing about Sunday's lunch social being cancelled. I don't do family Christmas so it is the pre-Christmas socialising that is important. And the last couple of events I went to I met people I hadn't seen for two years.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Leon said:

From that SAGE leak

Boris will never survive it. Quite simply the party would tell him and the scientists to get fucked. He loses the leadership, Mark Harper or another Tory MP says "fuck lockdown" and wins.
    Nah, Government of National Unity, lockdown passes with Labour votes and Boris Johnson is the new Ramsay MacDonald.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

"UK researchers have analysed the likely impact that a Covid booster shot will have on Omicron and say it could provide around 85% protection against severe illness."

These stats are so confusing. That sounds pretty bad. You have all three shots and you’ve still got a 1 in 6 chance of SEVERE illness? Presumably depending on age, co-morbidity etc

• Options
    Andy_JS said:

This appears, from the article, only to look at the impact of antibodies and completely ignore T cell responses. If so it’s meaningless.
  • Options
    Thinking whats the worse move Boris could make now, to guess what will happen....

Boris on Monday cancels Christmas
  • Options
    TimS said:

The fact the Imperial study is utter bullshit. Iraq dossier levels of bullshit. 45 minutes.
    Do you have a link to the paper?
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

From that SAGE leak

Nah, Government of National Unity, lockdown passes with Labour votes and Boris Johnson is the new Ramsay MacDonald.
    Lol, imagine if Keith kept Boris as PM.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,583
    edited December 2021
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

From that SAGE leak

It's the piece I'm doing for Boxing Day.

Not for the first time as PM, Boris Johnson is controlled by a dom.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

These stats are so confusing. That sounds pretty bad. You have all three shots and you’ve still got a 1 in 6 chance of SEVERE illness? Presumably depending on age, co-morbidity etc

It's also not the full findings of the study, this is the bit that's based on modelled antibody binding efficiency. The actual data (as in the real data from known cases of Omi, not modelled) shows 93-95% reduction in severe symptoms.

And yes, as other people have pointed out, it's an 85% reduction in likelihood of severe symptoms. If 1000 people get it, 1000 people get severe symptoms, three doses worth of antibodies turns that into 15.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

No, it means you have a 5-fold lower chance of developing severe disease than someone unvaccinated. Who in turn has something like a 10% chance of developing severe disease if they catch it.

So a pretty tiny chance on an individual basis. Before, it seems, taking account of T-cell immunity.

And before allowing for any intrinsic mildness in the variant, if that exists.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,931
    Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

It would be 1/6 of the chance of you getting a severe illness, sans booster. So pretty good.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,368
    stodge said:

Evening all :)

Moving away from statistics and epidemiology to politics and polls for a moment (who'd have thunk it?).

An interesting poll from France this evening from Cluster 21:

Changes from equivalent candidate in 2017:

Macron (LREM): 22% (-2)
    Pécresse (LR): 18% (-2)
    Zemmour (REC): 15% (+15)
    Le Pen (RN): 15% (-6)
    Mélenchon (LFI): 13% (-7)

Pecresse's honeymoon continues for now and it's fascinating to see Zemmour and Le Pen tied and both set to be eliminated in Round 1. On that basis, you'd think the numbers look solid for Pecresse in round 2 to eke out a narrow victory over Macron.

Let's not forget we also have the Slovenian election on April 24th - the current government headed by Janez Jansa's Slovenian Democratic Party is a minority but faces a hugely fragmented opposition grouping.

I love the cassic PBism "Let's not forget we also have the Slovenian election on April 24th."

I have £20 on Pecresse at 7, but £2 savers on Le Pen and Zemmour at 12-13. I sadly can't see the precise far-right split persisting, and if one gets through I suppose they'll shorten to 3 or so.
  • Options
    Politics Home: The Conservative party's stunning defeat in Leave-voting North Shropshire to the pro-Remain Lib Dems could be a sign they can no longer rely anti-EU sentiment to win votes, leading pollster Sir John Curtice has said.

Curtice said the North Shropshire result showed that how a constituency voted in 2016 would be much less of a factor in future elections, unlike in 2019 when Johnson's promise to deliver the UK's exit from the bloc was a highly effective in Leave-voting seats.

He explained that many Leave voters who supported the Conservatives for the first time at the 2019 general election did so largely because of Johnson's promise to "Get Brexit Done," but importantly do not have a deep loyalty to the Tory party. "If you take all polls since party-gate," Curtice said, referring to a string of scandals involving Christmas gatherings in Downing Street during lockdown, "the Conservative vote is down by 13% across the country compared with 2019, and down 20% among Leave voters".

No political ideology is going to defend you if the public begins to have doubts about your personal ethics," Curtice added.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

FFS mate.....2 years and you are making this mistake...its always "effectiveness" i.e. reduction versus nothing.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

No

You have 1/6th of the chance of severe illness that you started with, which unless you're vulnerable was probably already very very small.

And these sorts of percentage declines are particularly unhelpful when it's impossible to find genuinely immune naive control groups, so the protection vs where we started 20 months ago is likely better than being claimed.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,013
    Leon said:

Except without the financial support...
    Most folk lockdown whatever the government says. And whatever pleas to rational argument. Cos they don't want to get sick.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,094
    Jesus christ its so gloomy in here
  • Options
    Has anyone mentioned this story?

Covid: Addenbrooke's boss says 80% of virus patients are unvaccinated
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-59699891
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,931
    Some of the projections floating around on twitter imply that half the entire population will get Covid in January. Not sure what to make of that.

I reckon the 3rd Jan/27th Dec for lockdown.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    New York state reported 21,027 new Covid-19 cases

Which is the highest yet of the pandemic!

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-12-17/new-york-state-breaks-daily-covid-cases-record-reports-over-20-000-cases
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Most folk lockdown whatever the government says. And whatever pleas to rational argument. Cos they don't want to get sick.
    I remember seeing Manchester Piccadilly station in the early weeks of March 2020, before lockdown, and you could see it becoming less and less busy.

People don't need formal lockdowns to change their behaviour.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Some of the projections floating around on twitter imply that half the entire population will get Covid in January. Not sure what to make of that.

I reckon the 3rd Jan/27th Dec for lockdown.

Nah, will spread much quicker than that and be coming down by January. Looking at where London is and the Johannesburg experience, no way it's got 2 weeks continued rises to come. Rest of country apparently only 4 days behind.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

From that SAGE leak

Keith Baldwin & Ramsey Johnson
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,713

Competition Update:

Highest Boosters to date: 861,306 (today)
    Nearest estimate: @carnyx (854,217)
    Next nearest: @Richard_Nabavi (896,322)

Eliminated entries:
    @Endillion 525,600
    @MightyAlex 700,000
    @Cyclefree 723,527
    @Eabhal 825,000

I'm still in the game. This is fun!
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

From that SAGE leak

The Tories would be out of power for 50 years. I mean these predictions were made for Theresa May as well that she would lead a GONU to get her deal through.

No, if Boris pushes the lockdown option he's gone and an anti-lockdown person wins. It is inevitable.
  • Options

Hope F1 fans are OK with so many races this season being held in what Freedom House terms Not Free countries. Let's see now:

Bahrain - Not Free
    Azerbaijan - Not Free
    Russia - Not Free
    Turkey - Not Free
    Qatar - Not Free
    Saudi - Not Free
    Abu Dhabi - Not Free
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,631

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

I remember seeing Manchester Piccadilly station in the early weeks of March 2020, before lockdown, and you could see it becoming less and less busy.

People don't need formal lockdowns to change their behaviour.
    I agree with Eagles. When is a circuit breaker can’t be called a circuit breaker.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

From that SAGE leak

The Tories would be out of power for 50 years. I mean these predictions were made for Theresa May as well that she would lead a GONU to get her deal through.

No, if Boris pushes the lockdown option he's gone and an anti-lockdown person wins. It is inevitable.
    My only fear is whether sufficient number of MPs will get over the fear of 'playing politics in a crisis'. But I suppose it only takes 50 odd and he's had his 3 warnings now.
This discussion has been closed.