Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

YouGov polls: From Hartlepool to North Shropshire – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,605
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Pity the thread's changed. I was waiting for a definition from HYUFD of a 'good' school. As opposed to an academic 'hothouse'.

A good school is one which gives a massively unfair advantage to the elite and produces specimens for the rest of us to cringe and grovel to.

Not that I agree, obvs.
    No, a good school is one which provides a good education and pupils who go on to have successful and productive careers. Even Sweden now has education vouchers and more choice.

As opposed to your leftwing definition of a good school ie a school completely under local authority control with parents getting no choice over where to send their children and with no selection by exam or anything else. Even if that school has terrible exam results
    A good school is one that achieves excellent 'value added' performance. Making the most of the pupils who come through the door. Every child deserves the opportunity to become the best they can be.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,693

On Topic. Ha ha ha the Boris era is so over. It was always going to be brief - the bestest sweetest promises, and then didn’t want to know us after shagging us

But what a mess he is leaving the Tory partying in! In the coming general elections the voters aren’t going to have a clue what they stand for 😕

I like the 'partying' ...
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    edited December 2021
    Nigelb said:

slade said:

Interesting interview on BBC News channel this morning. Head of the UK medical diagnostic industry said all LFT kits are imported from China and distributed by US firms. She said British companies were not asked to provide them.

I noted that on here about 18 months ago.
    Had the government wanted to do anything about developing domestic sourcing, it could have done so long since.
    Perhaps all their chums and donors were too busy to take on another project? As I recall they were all getting into the "I can make a mask" business :wink:
  • Options

eek said:

Nightclubs need to check Covid passports

But a pub with a dancefloor doesn't

Politics For All
    @PoliticsForAlI
    · 3h
    🚨 | NEW: Pubs with dance floors won't have to check any COVID passes - until 1am and then they will

Via @GOVUK

Who creates this mess of insanity.

Why's it a mess?

Nightclubs have different licences and door staff who can check on the way in.

Pubs don't necessarily.

If you think that's the only difference between pubs and nightclubs when it comes to licensing, you couldn't be more wrong. Its bog standard for them not to be the same and its entirely logical.
    Pubs with dance floors do tend to have door staff, at least from a certain time. Most of the popular places in Newcastle are pubs with dance floors rather than ‘clubs’.
    Not really, no.

Some city centre pubs might, but lots of pubs won't have door staff and will have an area that is or can become a dance floor on the weekend.

The question isn't about "the most popular pubs in Newcastle" which will tend to have door staff as will the most popular in Manchester, Liverpool, London and any other city centre.

What about your local up and down the country? If Miss Cyclefree Jr's pub for locals and tourists in Cumbria has an area that operates as a dance floor but no door staff would you consider that the same as the "most popular" pubs in Newcastle?
    Why do you turn everything into an argument? I wasn’t disagreeing with you, just throwing out some anecdotes.
    You turned it into an argument. I said that nightclubs will have door staff (its a condition of licensing for them) but many pubs won't necessarily. You chose to reply by suggesting pubs would, so I wanted to clarify that for large number that is not the case. Had you not contradicted me, there wouldn't have been an argument.

That some do have door staff would only be relevant if all did, if you're extending the regulations to all of them. It is not true that all do, not by a longshot.

Its easy enough for nightclubs (or pubs with door staff) to check vaxxports on the way in. Its not the case for pubs, including pubs with dancefloors, that don't have door staff.

@eek suggested it was insanity to have nightclubs require checks but pubs not to do so - its not insane its entirely rational. If pubs aren't required to have door staff [and lots don't] then it also doesn't make sense for them to be obligated to do checks on the doors that nightclubs do.

The distinction between nightclubs and 'pubs with dancefloors' when it comes to licences and other legal obligations is not a new one.
    I did nothing of the sort - I merely mused that some pubs do indeed have door staff and are not too dissimilar to nightclubs, exactly what you have just said.

Regardless — what determines if a pub has door staff or not? The licence?
    Good question. Probably, yes would be my guess. Some might choose to do it without it being required but given the major expense it involves I suspect it is a condition of the licence for most. While some will be required to have door staff only at certain times.

I suppose you could change the regulations to require vaxxport checks of any premise with door staff as a condition of the licence, which would extend it to some pubs and not others. Though then you'd probably have a loophole that people could arrive before the door staff start (eg if they're only required from say 7pm onwards) so they're already in the building by then.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

MaxPB said:

@Gallowgate have you had your operation? Still got my fingers crossed it goes ahead!

Aye all good - being discharged today tick tock
    That's great! Glad you finally got it resolved mate.
  • Options

On Topic. Ha ha ha the Boris era is so over. It was always going to be brief - the bestest sweetest promises, and then didn’t want to know us after shagging us

But what a mess he is leaving the Tory partying in! In the coming general elections the voters aren’t going to have a clue what they stand for 😕

I haven't a clue what labour stands for either
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,347

The South African study is being reported by the Times as omicron being 29% milder than original Wuhan covid, not 29% milder than Delta.

Would that imply even more benignity as compared with Delta?

That would make a lot more sense against their hospitalisation rates.
    From the figures I would guess that in SA it has 30% of the potency of Delta, with our triple vaxed vunerable groups that figure should drop even further.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,973

eek said:

Politics For All
    @PoliticsForAlI
    · 3h
    🚨 | NEW: Pubs with dance floors won't have to check any COVID passes - until 1am and then they will

Via @GOVUK

Why's it a mess?

Pubs don't necessarily.

If you think that's the only difference between pubs and nightclubs when it comes to licensing, you couldn't be more wrong. Its bog standard for them not to be the same and its entirely logical.
    Pubs with dance floors do tend to have door staff, at least from a certain time. Most of the popular places in Newcastle are pubs with dance floors rather than ‘clubs’.
    Not really, no.

Some city centre pubs might, but lots of pubs won't have door staff and will have an area that is or can become a dance floor on the weekend.

The question isn't about "the most popular pubs in Newcastle" which will tend to have door staff as will the most popular in Manchester, Liverpool, London and any other city centre.

What about your local up and down the country? If Miss Cyclefree Jr's pub for locals and tourists in Cumbria has an area that operates as a dance floor but no door staff would you consider that the same as the "most popular" pubs in Newcastle?
    Why do you turn everything into an argument? I wasn’t disagreeing with you, just throwing out some anecdotes.
    You turned it into an argument. I said that nightclubs will have door staff (its a condition of licensing for them) but many pubs won't necessarily. You chose to reply by suggesting pubs would, so I wanted to clarify that for large number that is not the case. Had you not contradicted me, there wouldn't have been an argument.

That some do have door staff would only be relevant if all did, if you're extending the regulations to all of them. It is not true that all do, not by a longshot.

Its easy enough for nightclubs (or pubs with door staff) to check vaxxports on the way in. Its not the case for pubs, including pubs with dancefloors, that don't have door staff.

@eek suggested it was insanity to have nightclubs require checks but pubs not to do so - its not insane its entirely rational. If pubs aren't required to have door staff [and lots don't] then it also doesn't make sense for them to be obligated to do checks on the doors that nightclubs do.

The distinction between nightclubs and 'pubs with dancefloors' when it comes to licences and other legal obligations is not a new one.
    You clearly didn't read

the tweet said that pubs with dance floors don't need to check covid passports until 1am but nightclubs do - so I wasn't talking about all pubs just pubs with dance floors v nightclubs

and my point was that if you aren't incredibly clear with the rules people will work round them and do what they can to avoid them.
  • Options

The modern iteration of the Tory party:

- English Nationalist, not One Nation
    - Revolutionary, not Conservative
    - High tax/high debt, not Friedman
    - State control, not free market
    - Social engineering, not conservatism
    - Nasty, not paternal
    - Reactive, not confident
    - Populist, not principled
    - Clown, not competence
    - Degenerate, not moral
    - Cash for pals, not good governance
    - Fiscal spaffing, not fiscal moderation
    - Fuck business, not pro business
    - Proroguing parliament, not the rule of law
    - Lying to the monarch, not respecting institutions
    - Authoritarian, not liberal
    - Corruption, not ethics
    - Second jobs, not public service
    - Serving clients, not constituents
    - Peppa Pig, not promoting productivity
    - Cokeheads, not sober
    - Law-breakers, not law enforcers
    - Lockdowns, not free will

The only constant is the blue rosettes, greed and jingoism.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2021
    Seems the 29% figure is causing as much confusion as the 200k cases a day. Different media outlets are reporting what it is versus differently, Delta or original variant.
  • Options

Indeed. Being the “not the Tories” party is fine as a stop-gap, but just like the Lib Dems, Labour need a clear mission.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

slade said:

Interesting interview on BBC News channel this morning. Head of the UK medical diagnostic industry said all LFT kits are imported from China and distributed by US firms. She said British companies were not asked to provide them.

There is a shortage of LFT kits - I've just tried to get some from a pharmacy and failed.
    I drew a blank in both local pharmacies but Tesco had ample supplies.

• Options

Seems the 29% figure is causing as much confusion as the 200k cases a day. Different media outlets are reporting what it is versus differently, Delta or original variant.

Perhaps we need to see as much of the Chief Statistician as we do of Whitty and Valance.
  • Options

The big problem is that I am not sure that the "Conservatives" know either...
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    edited December 2021

Anti Woke? It might be enough.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,989
    Boris Johnson's net leadership rating slide to -37, his lowest since coming to power. Keir Starmer is on -21.

https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1470714607782273031?s=20

Net rating for Johnson among Conservative voters is +39, down sharply on summer. Net rating for Starmer among Labour voters is +4.

Keir Starmer's rating of -21 puts him between Corbyn (-27) & Miliband (-13) at same pt in their leaderships
    https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1470715016244510725?s=20
  • Options
    FPT
    Dura_Ace said:

Carnyx said:

MattW said:
    Ratrher odd not to have a torpedo launch system on board the ships mentioned - I've seen it on a FREMM frigate or on older RN shops and it's just three small tubes on a mount on each side of the ship.

It's a way to reduce the crewing requirements of the ships. In theory they maintain ASW weapon capability with the helicopter. In practice the helicopter might be broken or doing something else or the ship will be out of limits for aviation - this happens A LOT in the North Atlantic. So if Russian subs could just steer clear of that area, that would be great, thanks.
    Thanks for that explanation. Rather revealing.
  • Options
    eek said:

eek said:

Politics For All
    @PoliticsForAlI
    · 3h

Via @GOVUK

Why's it a mess?

Pubs don't necessarily.

Not really, no.

You clearly didn't read

the tweet said that pubs with dance floors don't need to check covid passports until 1am but nightclubs do - so I wasn't talking about all pubs just pubs with dance floors v nightclubs

and my point was that if you aren't incredibly clear with the rules people will work round them and do what they can to avoid them.
    I did read and as I said very clearly large numbers of pubs up and down the country will be local pubs which have a dance floor and no door staff. "Pubs with dancefloors" are just pubs, they are licensed as pubs and not nightclubs.

The distinction between nightclubs and pubs is not original or unique. Why should a local pub which has a dance floor and no door staff be expected to implement vaxxports?

Why is it insane to expect nightclubs, which as a condition of their licence has door staff and stricter legal obligations to have them but not your local Dog and Duck pub with no doorstaff, locals drinking their pint of bitter and a small area that it uses as a dancefloor?
  • Options

eek said:

Politics For All
    @PoliticsForAlI
    · 3h

Via @GOVUK

Why's it a mess?

Pubs don't necessarily.

Not really, no.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohDB5gbtaEQ

I'd like to have an argument please.....
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,506
    edited December 2021
    Carnyx said:

MattW said:

eek said:

Carnyx said:

Pity the thread's changed. I was waiting for a definition from HYUFD of a 'good' school. As opposed to an academic 'hothouse'.

A good school is one which gives a massively unfair advantage to the elite and produces specimens for the rest of us to cringe and grovel to.

Not that I agree, obvs.
    I was looking forward to more examples of career paths to help HYUFD justify the existence of private schools when for anyone sane the same example would justify their immediate closure.
    I don't think that needs career paths. I'd like to see some research on whether Indy Schools increase diversity and attainment better than state schools - I suspect they do.

There is a need for alternatives - I have one relative who had to be funded in an Indy School by her family, as the State School could not and would not control bullying, and she had fallen behind.

She later went to a state weekly boarding school for 2 years, which got her standing on her own 2 feet.

Eventually caught up, graduated and now works in London.

My own dad was sent to boarding school (Kingswood, Bath) via teh good offices of the local minister (I assume) which his family could never have afforded (smallholders), because *his* dad was unstable / violent after having been in the trenches in WW1.

Control by politicians obsessed with control is never a good idea.

Seeking to undermine some of the best schools in the country for ideology is completely loopy. Update the ideology; this is no longer the 19C.
    Kingswood is interesting; I've read about it (someone I was interested in went there). A Methodist foundation so somewhat different from the usual "Public School", certainly in origin. My sense was that like the Quaker schools it was very much to give a minority denominational background often not available locally.
    Kingswood was founded to educate the sons of Methodist Clergy by Wesley.

Not *that* different from most 'public' schools, which tend to be aiui founded for charitable purposes. Mine (Nottingham High) was part of the batch founded in Tudor Times.

I think that far too much argumentation is based around a caricature of Eton, and ignores the many that are nothing like the stereotype. That risks doing immense violence to educational diversity.

One Q on Scotland - is there much diversity in the Scottish state system?

In England quite a lot of Indy schools iirc went into being academies, and various other models. So even the state sector has a decent measure of diverse models down here.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,598

Anti Woke? It might be enough.
    I think it's enough, in a FPTP system.
  • Options
    Did anyone else notice the Supreme (NYC skateboarding/clothing company) branded box on Starmer's bookshelf?

It looks like the box that their lipstick comes in..

This is at least as interesting as Rishi's flipflops.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Carnyx said:

MattW said:

eek said:

Carnyx said:

Not that I agree, obvs.
    I was looking forward to more examples of career paths to help HYUFD justify the existence of private schools when for anyone sane the same example would justify their immediate closure.
    I don't think that needs career paths. I'd like to see some research on whether Indy Schools increase diversity and attainment better than state schools - I suspect they do.

There is a need for alternatives - I have one relative who had to be funded in an Indy School by her family, as the State School could not and would not control bullying, and she had fallen behind.

She later went to a state weekly boarding school for 2 years, which got her standing on her own 2 feet.

My own dad was sent to boarding school (Kingswood, Bath) via teh good offices of the local minister (I assume) which his family could never have afforded (smallholders), because *his* dad was unstable / violent after having been in the trenches in WW1.

Seeking to undermine some of the best schools in the country for ideology is completely loopy. Update the ideology; this is no longer the 19C.
    Kingswood is interesting; I've read about it (someone I was interested in went there). A Methodist foundation so somewhat different from the usual "Public School", certainly in origin. My sense was that like the Quaker schools it was very much to give a minority denominational background often not available locally.

Not *that* different from most 'public' schools, which tend to be aiui founded for charitable purposes. Mine (Nottingham High) was part of the batch founded in Tudor Times.

I think that far too much argumentation is based around a caricature of Eton, and ignores the many that are nothing like the stereotype. That risks doing immense violence to educational diversity.

In England quite a lot of Indy schools iirc went into being academies, and various other models. So even the state sector has a decent measure of diverse models down here.
    I presume the idea was that the clergy were itinerant so no stable home life? - one classic reason for the boarding school. It broadened out later to general Methodist family children in the C19 IIRC.

Not an expert on diversity in detail, but in any case I don't udnerstand the fragmentation of the southern system to compare it with.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Here is a question....If Die Hard isn't a Christmas movie, is a GP a scientist?

I personally would say no, as for me a scientist is somebody who according to the science council "systematically gathers and uses research and evidence, to make hypotheses and test them, to gain and share understanding and knowledge.", which doesn't fit the definition of a GP, unless they also do research.
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    edited December 2021

The South African study is being reported by the Times as omicron being 29% milder than original Wuhan covid, not 29% milder than Delta.

That would make a lot more sense against their hospitalisation rates.
    From the figures I would guess that in SA it has 30% of the potency of Delta, with our triple vaxed vunerable groups that figure should drop even further.
    Until we see it's impact on the UK with:

-Seasonal differences
    -Our immunity wall currently largely based on AZ rather than Pfizer (until we boost the vast majority of the population of course)
    -Older population
    -Kids not vaccinated - increase in children being hospitalised compared to previous Delta wave in SA.
    -5 million or so unvaxxed in this country and it can break through past infection immunity.

Don't get me wrong there is some encouraging stuff in the SA data (it may be milder, but a 3 week timeframe could be too early when Covid takes time to make people seriously ill and kill), but Covid doesn't have the same effect and outcome in each country If it did I would be celebrating a lot more.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,923
    MattW said:

Carnyx said:

MattW said:

eek said:

Carnyx said:

Not that I agree, obvs.

Yeah whatever you think of the private vs state debate the eternal focus on Harrow or Eton is a bit odd.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,506
    edited December 2021

The Red Flag, normally.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    edited December 2021

MattW said:

eek said:

Carnyx said:

Not that I agree, obvs.

Those are not reasons for independent schools, but they are, quite rightly, reasons for variation in provision. One size fits all is, of course, rubbish, and AFAIK no-one, certainly not me, is suggesting it.
    It's a safe assumption it would happen, though.

State education has been under-funded for years. Both the nice-to-haves, like county music services, and the must-haves, particularly special educational needs provision, have been subject to death by a thousand cuts. Schools, with "encouragement" from Ofsted, are laser-focused around an academic pipeline based on SATs and the DfE's whim of the day.

So it is "one size fits all" right now. Your kid doesn't respond to phonics? Tough s--t, phonics is mandated by DfE and nothing else is allowed, even when a kid is clearly responding better to other ways of teaching reading.

Let's say independent schools were abolished overnight. Tell me, what would you see happening to the chorister tradition at cathedral schools round the country? I reckon it'd last about six months before being judged uneconomic, accompanied by some bullshit about "spreading musical excellence more widely throughout the community", some sort of outreach programme which would last maybe another six months. Congratulations, we've just trashed one of our peerless cultural achievements.
  • Options

I personally would say no, as for me a scientist is somebody who according to the science council "systematically gathers and uses research and evidence, to make hypotheses and test them, to gain and share understanding and knowledge.", which doesn't fit the definition of a GP, unless they also do research.

Tricky that, it doesn't say they have to do original research. It says they have to use research and evidence ... what if they're using research and evidence to make hypotheses about a patients conditions and then do [blood] tests against those hypotheses to gain and share understand and knowledge with their patients and others?

That sounds like science as defined.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,973
    edited December 2021

MattW said:

eek said:

Carnyx said:

Not that I agree, obvs.

Those are not reasons for independent schools, but they are, quite rightly, reasons for variation in provision. One size fits all is, of course, rubbish, and AFAIK no-one, certainly not me, is suggesting it.

State education has been under-funded for years. Both the nice-to-haves, like county music services, and the must-haves, particularly special educational needs provision, have been subject to death by a thousand cuts. Schools, with "encouragement" from Ofsted, are laser-focused around an academic pipeline based on SATs and the DfE's whim of the day.

So it is "one size fits all" right now. Your kid doesn't respond to phonics? Tough s--t, phonics is mandated by DfE and nothing else is allowed, even when a kid is clearly responding better to other ways of teaching reading.

Let's say independent schools were abolished overnight. Tell me, what would you see happening to the chorister tradition at cathedral schools round the country? I reckon it'd last about six months before being judged uneconomic, accompanied by some bullshit about "spreading musical excellence more widely throughout the community", some sort of outreach programme which would last maybe another six months. Congratulations, we've just trashed one of our peerless cultural achievements.
    Wait to you discover that the only Music Service inn the country that still provides free access to bands and groups is Durham Music Service. Durham CC doesn't pay for it, it's a combination of department staff volunteering well beyond their paid hours and charitable donations.

Edit - here's a link to the Christmas appeal https://www.durhammusic.org.uk/Appeal/christmas-give-2021
  • Options
    SNP retains Moray Council control on a cut of playing cards

The local authority was previously run by a coalition of Conservatives and independents until all but one of the Tories walked away from the administration in 2018.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-59636145
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Here is the slide about the 29% reduction...

https://twitter.com/miamalan/status/1470684370755371013?s=20

Its versus D614G, which I believe is an early mutation in China Wuhan wave. So that is good news.

Some bloody idiots in the media again can't read slides. Telegraph until a few minutes ago had it as versus Delta.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,431

As a scientist, I'd say no.

However, I do work with two GPs who are also scientists. Both active in research - which of course falls under your definition, too - and with paid for research for some of their time, through NIHR funding.

I have also worked on research with clinicians who I would say were not also scientists - they contributed to the science, on the paper etc, but through their day job, rather than being active in research.
  • Options

MattW said:

eek said:

Carnyx said:

Not that I agree, obvs.

Why has state education spending been hacked back? Because the elite don't value it. If they used it they would protect it. Right now they can underfund it and face none of the consequences themselves. If everyone used state education, I can guarantee it would get more money per pupil and be better managed.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,598
    We seem to be running out of PCR test capacity. Not ideal.

https://twitter.com/DevanSinha/status/1470720049283534851?s=20
  • Options

That definition makes most professional gamblers scientists too.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    edited December 2021

Nice try. But Labour will stand for time for a change. Keen, fresher, sane and sensible front bench, don’t sound like they will wreck economy (even more than it is already). Don’t sound as loose or wasteful with tax payers money, or sleazy, or one rule for us many rule for rest of you - which is a Boris legacy to the Tories.

You sure how it works Labour need more than that?

Meanwhile. Now Boris has imploded the Tories aren’t going to be remotely competitive in the coming General Elections, because
    Tax and Spend party or fiscal Conservatives?
    Fuck business or love business?
    Where’s the levelling up, where’s the high skill high wage economy and £350M a week to NHS Boris voters will ask the Tories.

Now Plan Boris has failed, the Tories really do lack a credible platform to fight on.
  • Options
    edited December 2021

Professional gamblers never share....
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,977

MattW said:

eek said:

Carnyx said:

Not that I agree, obvs.

I'm not in favour of underfunding education either. I think that what this country does in State education is often light-years away from what is 'desirable'.

I know a bit about education in this country; I've grown old surrounded by teachers, former teachers and retired teachers, from infant schools to universities and not for one moment would I say that there wasn't, often, too much interference from theoreticians, andI take the point about specialist establishments. As I said, one size fits all isn't the answer. Look at the US.
    I'd like to know more about the system in such places as Scandinavia, the Netherlands and Germany.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,431

Did anyone else notice the Supreme (NYC skateboarding/clothing company) branded box on Starmer's bookshelf?

I now need the uncropped picture to check whether Sir Keir is wearing lippy...
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870

I'm not in favour of underfunding education either. I think that what this country does in State education is often light-years away from what is 'desirable'.

I know a bit about education in this country; I've grown old surrounded by teachers, former teachers and retired teachers, from infant schools to universities and not for one moment would I say that there wasn't, often, too much interference from theoreticians, andI take the point about specialist establishments. As I said, one size fits all isn't the answer. Look at the US.

I'd fully agree.

But we need to sort out state education before bringing independent education into the fold.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,574

Nigelb said:

slade said:

I noted that on here about 18 months ago.
    Had the government wanted to do anything about developing domestic sourcing, it could have done so long since.
    Perhaps all their chums and donors were too busy to take on another project? As I recall they were all getting into the "I can make a mask" business :wink:
    Those, of course, are largely imported from China too.
  • Options
    Not many PBers confident the government will hit their jabbing target if most think 1 million a day is pretty much the upper bound.
  • Options
    edited December 2021

I'd fully agree.

But we need to sort out state education before bringing independent education into the fold.
    I don't think that your view and mine are that far apart. As I posted, I'd like our decision makers to see what happens elsewhere before making any commitments to a plan. I'm British, but I don't think that means I have to think that we always come up with the best answers.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,203
    edited December 2021

Competition Entries

What will be the maximum number of booster jabs reported for the U.K. on any day up to and including December 31st? Nearest estimate wins

The following were received before the cut off at noon today:

@RochdalePioneers 334,974
    @Endillion 525,600
    @MightyAlex 700,000
    @Cyclefree 723,527
    @Eabhal 825,000
    @carnyx 854,217
    @Richard_Nabavi 896,322
    @Nigelb 925,001
    @Andy_JS 930,000
    @Northern_Al 963,451
    @MattW 986,000
    @geoffw 987,654
    @IshmaelZ 999,000
    @Pulpstar 1,000,000
    @Maffew 1,000,001
    @NerysHughes 1,000,001
    @SandyRentool 1,010,101
    @Fairliered 1,029,762
    @Beibheirli_C 1,048,575
    @Benpointer 1,048,576
    @IanB2 1,075,000
    @MaxPB 1,097,642
    @londonpubman 1,100,000
    @Ratters 1,191,428
    @flatlander 1,248,510
    @Richard_Tyndall 1,264,987
    @Cookie 1,346,242
    @pigeon 1,350,000
    @OldKingCole 1,389,347
    @LostPassword 1,572,864
    @Philip_Thompson 2,001,524

Please let me know if your entry has been missed or misinterpreted.

Daily updates will be given to show who has been knocked out by that day's data.

My first entry has been missed 1,234,567.

Gave it yesterday.
  • Options

I'm pretty damn sure mine isn't.
  • Options

Not many PBers confident the government will hit their jabbing target if most think 1 million a day is pretty much the upper bound.

They'll have to have a few days over 1.5m to get anywhere near it.
  • Options

Nice try. But Labour will stand for time for a change. Keen, fresher, sane and sensible front bench, don’t sound like they will wreck economy (even more than it is already). Don’t sound as loose or wasteful with tax payers money, or sleazy, or one rule for us many rule for rest of you - which is a Boris legacy to the Tories.

Meanwhile. Now Boris has imploded the Tories aren’t going to be remotely competitive in the coming General Elections, because
    Where’s the levelling up, where’s the high skill high wage economy and £350M a week to NHS Boris voters will ask the Tories.

Now Plan Boris has failed, the Tories really do lack a credible platform to fight on.
    Labour think every problem is resolved by spending not millions, not billions, but tens of billions of taxpayers cash and they eventually run out of spending other people's money and rich people just disappear to other jurisdictions

You are also assuming that Boris will be leading the conservative party which is highly unlikely, indeed he may be on his way in the early new year
  • Options
    Another box of LFT's has just arrived. Say's "Made in China".
  • Options

It's an aspiration, not a target...
  • Options

Labour think every problem is resolved by spending not millions, not billions, but tens of billions of taxpayers cash and they eventually run out of spending other people's money and rich people just disappear to other jurisdictions

You are also assuming that Boris will be leading the conservative party which is highly unlikely, indeed he may be on his way in the early new year
    Eh? Spending billions of taxpayers cash is Tory policy too.
  • Options

Hence my prediction. A few days over 1.5m, then throw in some variance in reporting information being messed up due to Christmas lags and we get over 2 million.
  • Options
    Selebian said:

His ears look pinker than his lips!

• Options
    Cyclefree said:

Competition Entries

What will be the maximum number of booster jabs reported for the U.K. on any day up to and including December 31st? Nearest estimate wins

@Endillion 525,600
    @MightyAlex 700,000
    @Cyclefree 723,527
    @Eabhal 825,000
    @carnyx 854,217
    @Richard_Nabavi 896,322
    @Nigelb 925,001
    @Andy_JS 930,000
    @Northern_Al 963,451
    @MattW 986,000
    @geoffw 987,654
    @IshmaelZ 999,000
    @Pulpstar 1,000,000
    @Maffew 1,000,001
    @NerysHughes 1,000,001
    @SandyRentool 1,010,101
    @Fairliered 1,029,762
    @Beibheirli_C 1,048,575
    @Benpointer 1,048,576
    @IanB2 1,075,000
    @MaxPB 1,097,642
    @londonpubman 1,100,000
    @Ratters 1,191,428
    @flatlander 1,248,510
    @Cookie 1,346,242
    @pigeon 1,350,000
    @OldKingCole 1,389,347
    @LostPassword 1,572,864

Daily updates will be given to show who has been knocked out by that day's data.

Gave it yesterday.
    I overwrote your first entry, assuming you had given it more thought. I will add it to the list.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,913
    Stocky said:

There is a shortage of LFT kits - I've just tried to get some from a pharmacy and failed.

You must be mistaken!

I am sure I heard a Government minister saying this morning there is no shortage.

They are just not available to the public right now...
  • Options

Labour should piss the next election but while SKS seems a decent enough bloke his broadcast last night showed his weakness, he just doesn't inspire, and is so dull. In this Im a Celebrity world we live in you need something about you. Boris is hopeless in many ways but he makes people smile, Corbyn has interesting views and he inspired people, especially in 2017. People are voting for someone they are going to hear from almost every day for the next 5 years and Im not sure people will vote in enough numbers to hear from SKS every day.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,990
    Is this really the Tories worst polling position for seven years? And they're only eight percentage points behind?

If so, that's quite incredible for a party that's been in power all that time.
  • Options

Selebian said:

It does look like a normal room though. Apart from that damn' flag. WHY!!!
  • Options

Yes but it is topped by hundreds of billions by labour
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,921
    Eabhal said:

A fun report by Scottish parliament researchers (SPICe) on the Scottish rate of income tax.

Looking forward to @malcolmg 's explosive reaction.

https://digitalpublications.parliament.scot/ResearchBriefings/Report/2021/8/12/a6cb9582-0b7e-11ea-9528-000d3a23af40#ab7d244c-0b7e-11ea-9538-000d3a23af40.dita

Yes it was always a stupid idea by moron's. I have paid it but it was obvious anyone who could would avoid it , SNP could not run a bath.
  • Options

Yes but not on every problem, that's the difference between the two parties.

The Tories will spend tens of billions on the NHS.
    Labour will spend it on the NHS, Education, Justice, Welfare, Sport, Diversity Officers, Broadband, Housing, Railways, Nationalising Utilities and any other bandwagon that goes by.
  • Options
    One thing I'm glad we don't lead the world in.

For many Korean high school seniors, winter is the season for plastic surgery
    https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/nation/2021/12/281_320444.html
  • Options

Selebian said:

England morphs into America.
  • Options

Selebian said:

It looks like the Churchill Rooms Museum in London
  • Options

Labour should piss the next election but while SKS seems a decent enough bloke his broadcast last night showed his weakness, he just doesn't inspire, and is so dull. In this Im a Celebrity world we live in you need something about you. Boris is hopeless in many ways but he makes people smile, Corbyn has interesting views and he inspired people, especially in 2017. People are voting for someone they are going to hear from almost every day for the next 5 years and Im not sure people will vote in enough numbers to hear from SKS every day.
    What's that quote about the 'deep comfort of the double bed after the hurly burly of the chaise lounge'?
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    edited December 2021

Do they really? That assumes that everyone who is eligible for a jab bothers to get one, which we know won't happen
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,979

Competition Entries

@Endillion 525,600
    @MightyAlex 700,000
    @Cyclefree 723,527
    @Eabhal 825,000
    @carnyx 854,217
    @Richard_Nabavi 896,322
    @Nigelb 925,001
    @Andy_JS 930,000
    @Northern_Al 963,451
    @MattW 986,000
    @geoffw 987,654
    @IshmaelZ 999,000
    @Pulpstar 1,000,000
    @Maffew 1,000,001
    @NerysHughes 1,000,001
    @SandyRentool 1,010,101
    @Fairliered 1,029,762
    @Beibheirli_C 1,048,575
    @Benpointer 1,048,576
    @IanB2 1,075,000
    @MaxPB 1,097,642
    @londonpubman 1,100,000
    @Ratters 1,191,428
    @flatlander 1,248,510
    @Cookie 1,346,242
    @pigeon 1,350,000
    @OldKingCole 1,389,347
    @LostPassword 1,572,864

I'll go for 1,245,609

Thanks!
  • Options

Labour will spend it on the NHS, Education, Justice, Welfare, Sport, Diversity Officers, Broadband, Housing, Railways, Nationalising Utilities and any other bandwagon that goes by.
    Miliband said labour will insulate every UK home which even Insulate Britain agreed would cost 1 trillion pounds
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    The temporary lack of in-person PCR tests in England on Tuesday was due to exceptionally high demand, UK Health Security Agency sources say.

While home testing kits remained available, the UK's official booking website briefly showed no appointments available anywhere in England.

However, more time slots have since been released to cope with demand.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-59651166
  • Options
    Selebian said:

So we now know Mrs Starmer's preferred brand of lipstick. What else can we deduce from the picture??
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    MaxPB said:

If original would COVID was 10, Alpha was 12, Delta was 18, if Omicron is a 7 then that's a pretty good result.
    Is that milder for a immune-naiive individual? Or someone who is vaxxed?
  • Options

Miliband said labour will insulate every UK home which even Insulate Britain agreed would cost 1 trillion pounds
    Loft laggers of the world unite....
  • Options

Professional gamblers never share....
    They do by creating perpetually more efficient markets and therefore shared market data.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Supreme is one of the wankiest brands going e.g.

Supreme Made A Branded Brick And It's Selling for £750

https://www.esquire.com/uk/style/fashion/news/a10897/supreme-brick-sold-out/
  • Options

Selebian said:

So we now know Mrs Starmer's preferred brand of lipstick. What else can we deduce from the picture??
    He is bland and humourless
  • Options

Selebian said:

We didn't need the picture to deduce that.

If he did have a box of lipstick conveniently placed behind him that would make him far more interesting than anything we'd seen to date.
  • Options

Selebian said:

You'd prefer a clown for PM? Well, I never.
  • Options

Selebian said:

How do we know it’s hers not his? 💋
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,886
    edited December 2021

Selebian said:

Presumably everything in shot was placed there very deliberately.

Why include it? It isn't really a standard place for such an item. Unless it isn't his desk?
  • Options

Selebian said:

How do we know it’s hers not his? 💋
    Also if it is his, is it possibly colourless outdoor lip balm for walking in winter etc.? I'm not an expert in lipstick, you see.
  • Options
    edited December 2021

Selebian said:

Why include it? It isn't really a standard place for such an item. Unless it isn't his desk?
    Maybe its Angela's.....she pops out for a coffee, and Starmer nicks it for doing his big address to the nation.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Selebian said:

Keir Starmer: All the charisma of Gordon Brown, just without the appeal to Scots.
  • Options

Selebian said:

You wouldn't often see him in the pub, maybe, but at least he'd buy his round when he was. Whereas the current PM might be the life and soul of the party but he'd never have his wallet with him.
  • Options

Selebian said:

It seems to be a recent political development. You might not have to shag the flag, but you need to show that you can at least get it up.

Though these flags that politicians have seem to be of very high quality. Very rich, bold colours. Outside of Minister's offices, the Downing Street briefing room and now Starmer's spare bedroom, I don't think I've ever seen such luxurious looking flags.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    The slides from the SA web conference clearly say that the 29% reduction in severity is vs the original strain, not Delta...

• Options

Cyclefree said:

Competition Entries

@Endillion 525,600
    @MightyAlex 700,000
    @Cyclefree 723,527
    @Eabhal 825,000
    @carnyx 854,217
    @Richard_Nabavi 896,322
    @Nigelb 925,001
    @Andy_JS 930,000
    @Northern_Al 963,451
    @MattW 986,000
    @geoffw 987,654
    @IshmaelZ 999,000
    @Pulpstar 1,000,000
    @Maffew 1,000,001
    @NerysHughes 1,000,001
    @SandyRentool 1,010,101
    @Fairliered 1,029,762
    @Beibheirli_C 1,048,575
    @Benpointer 1,048,576
    @IanB2 1,075,000
    @MaxPB 1,097,642
    @londonpubman 1,100,000
    @Ratters 1,191,428
    @flatlander 1,248,510
    @Cookie 1,346,242
    @pigeon 1,350,000
    @OldKingCole 1,389,347
    @LostPassword 1,572,864

Gave it yesterday.
    I overwrote your first entry, assuming you had given it more thought. I will add it to the list.
    Hey, are we all allowed multiple entries?
  • Options

Selebian said:

product placement is lucrative
  • Options

Competition Entries

@Endillion 525,600
    @MightyAlex 700,000
    @Cyclefree 723,527
    @Eabhal 825,000
    @carnyx 854,217
    @Richard_Nabavi 896,322
    @Nigelb 925,001
    @Andy_JS 930,000
    @Northern_Al 963,451
    @MattW 986,000
    @geoffw 987,654
    @IshmaelZ 999,000
    @Pulpstar 1,000,000
    @Maffew 1,000,001
    @NerysHughes 1,000,001
    @SandyRentool 1,010,101
    @Fairliered 1,029,762
    @Beibheirli_C 1,048,575
    @Benpointer 1,048,576
    @IanB2 1,075,000
    @MaxPB 1,097,642
    @londonpubman 1,100,000
    @Ratters 1,191,428
    @flatlander 1,248,510
    @Cookie 1,346,242
    @pigeon 1,350,000
    @OldKingCole 1,389,347
    @LostPassword 1,572,864

You've missed off the rest of my prediction. I said the number would be the full Priti Patel: 300,034,974,000
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Selebian said:

Keir Starmer: All the charisma of Gordon Brown, just without the appeal to Scots.
    The big ugly moronic cretin did not appeal to me , so bad I would prefer Starmer and he is a dud of duds.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    n the UK, Dr Paul Burton, chief medical officer at Moderna, has been speaking to MPs on the Commons science and technology committee.

Burton said he expects data in the coming days to show how well the Moderna booster improves protection against the Omicron variant.

He cautioned against claims, largely from South Africa, that the variant is causing milder disease, and warned that Omicron and Delta are likely to circulate together for some time.

“I do not think Omicron is a milder, less severe version of the current virus,” he told the committee.

"The idea it will push Delta out of the way and take over may occur in the future, but I think in the coming months these two viruses are going to co-exist, and Omicron, which I would maintain is actually a severe disease, will now infect people on a background of very, very strong Delta pressure.

It will also lead to a situation where individuals will become co-infected…which gives the opportunity for this virus to further evolve and mutate which is a concerning and worrying situation.

We certainly don’t have to panic, we have many many tools at our disposal, we’ve learnt so much about this virus over the last two years, and we can continue to fight it, but I think Omicron poses a real threat.

When you look at the data in SA about 15% of people who are hospitalised are in the intensive care unit, and while there’s variability, if you look back earlier in the year, at a time of delta surge in August, those numbers are about the same, 15%.

So while the mortality rate we are seeing right now is mercifully lower, I think as a disease it is a very fit virus and it’s severe."
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

One thing I'm glad we don't lead the world in.

For many Korean high school seniors, winter is the season for plastic surgery
    https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/nation/2021/12/281_320444.html

You so sure we are not catching up?

I don’t want anything. When I was younger I did think of bigger boobs, but I’m happy now.

Maybe I’m happy now because I am in a relationship. Maybe the driver for plastic surgery is wanting to be pretty and have nice things and to be loved up not lonely?
  • Options

This isn’t true. Boris was elected to spend billions on those things in the left behind towns of this country. The revisionism here is outstanding.
  • Options

Competition Entries

@Endillion 525,600
    @MightyAlex 700,000
    @Cyclefree 723,527
    @Eabhal 825,000
    @carnyx 854,217
    @Richard_Nabavi 896,322
    @Nigelb 925,001
    @Andy_JS 930,000
    @Northern_Al 963,451
    @MattW 986,000
    @geoffw 987,654
    @IshmaelZ 999,000
    @Pulpstar 1,000,000
    @Maffew 1,000,001
    @NerysHughes 1,000,001
    @SandyRentool 1,010,101
    @Fairliered 1,029,762
    @Beibheirli_C 1,048,575
    @Benpointer 1,048,576
    @IanB2 1,075,000
    @MaxPB 1,097,642
    @londonpubman 1,100,000
    @Ratters 1,191,428
    @flatlander 1,248,510
    @Cookie 1,346,242
    @pigeon 1,350,000
    @OldKingCole 1,389,347
    @LostPassword 1,572,864

You've missed off the rest of my prediction. I said the number would be the full Priti Patel: 300,034,974,000
    Well if we're going with gag entries then I'm going to have to go with the timeless classic: 5318008
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,859

Carnyx said:

Selebian said:

https://twitter.com/Chilling_dayz/status/1470698928823799813/photo/1
  • Options
    edited December 2021

Carnyx said:

Selebian said:

Ever come across Rev. I. M. Jolly?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Cpb8rqYFd8
  • Options

n the UK, Dr Paul Burton, chief medical officer at Moderna, has been speaking to MPs on the Commons science and technology committee.

Burton said he expects data in the coming days to show how well the Moderna booster improves protection against the Omicron variant.

He cautioned against claims, largely from South Africa, that the variant is causing milder disease, and warned that Omicron and Delta are likely to circulate together for some time.

“I do not think Omicron is a milder, less severe version of the current virus,” he told the committee.

"The idea it will push Delta out of the way and take over may occur in the future, but I think in the coming months these two viruses are going to co-exist, and Omicron, which I would maintain is actually a severe disease, will now infect people on a background of very, very strong Delta pressure.

It will also lead to a situation where individuals will become co-infected…which gives the opportunity for this virus to further evolve and mutate which is a concerning and worrying situation.

We certainly don’t have to panic, we have many many tools at our disposal, we’ve learnt so much about this virus over the last two years, and we can continue to fight it, but I think Omicron poses a real threat.

When you look at the data in SA about 15% of people who are hospitalised are in the intensive care unit, and while there’s variability, if you look back earlier in the year, at a time of delta surge in August, those numbers are about the same, 15%.

So while the mortality rate we are seeing right now is mercifully lower, I think as a disease it is a very fit virus and it’s severe."

I think I just saw that live, it was he who said that he hadn't drilled into to today's report from SA I think – so probably worth waiting until he has?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Selebian said:

What a silly comment when I confirmed yesterday I had written to my mp seeking Boris resignation
This discussion has been closed.