Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The week that the polls turned against the Tories – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Scott_xP said:

🚨 Labour takes a NINE pint lead in the latest @OpiniumResearch poll for @ObserverUK 🚨

CON 32
    LAB 41
    LD 9
    Green 5
    SNP 5

*It is the biggest lead, from Opinium, since March 2014*

https://twitter.com/michaelsavage/status/1469759064796246017

@michaelsavage @OpiniumResearch @ObserverUK 🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺

SKS haters, please explain.
    Not a hater but here's my take

Imagine a tower block like the one in the Towering Inferno

There's a penthouse suite on the 150th floor where a bloke, let's call him Jackson, is doing coke and knobbing birds and generally being King of the World, and there's a small accountancy business on the 6th floor where a dreary balding bloke, call him Keith, is keeping up his chargeable hours. Now imagine Jackson falls off the balcony and splats on the street. Suddenly Keith is a neck breaking height above Jackson, just by virtue of where he is. Doesn't need to get in the lift, no reason to think he even knows how the lift works.
    weird
  • Options
    Ratters said:

I don't see how Boris lasts until the next election. Which is a shame as he would be very easily beatable.

It's possible, albeit unlikely.
    Roughly, the Conservatives need to go from complacency (midterm blues, Boris will fix it, swingback) to despair (we're doomed, who wants to be a one year fagend PM, better to rebuild from opposition... think Conservatives in 1996) with no intermediate state.

Would Boris be willing to endure that? I don't know, and I doubt he does either.

But whilst some of this is probably froth, there's a sicky taste at the back of voter's mouths now, and that's not going away completely.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,299
    edited December 2021
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

🚨NEW POLL🚨

The latest @ObserverUK poll gives Labour the largest lead we have seen in any @OpiniumResearch poll since February 2014.

Con 32% (-4)
    Lab 41% (+3)
    Lib Dem 9% (+1)
    Green 5% (-1)

Changes on the 24 – 26 November. https://twitter.com/OpiniumResearch/status/1469759095523753986/photo/1

Very close to @HYUFD ‘s arbitrary pulled out of his ass 10% bedwetting threshold
    Just imagine how larger the Labour lead would be if Starmer hadn't slagged off Peppa Pig World.

Labour would be 30% ahead.
    I think you might just be telling porkies there, Mr Eagles.
    I'm a very devout muslim, pork never passes my lips.
    Just trying to Peppa things up with an awesome pun, Mr Eagles. I didn't intend to do you har(a)m.
    I'm more focussed on harems than harams.

I'm as devout as I am working class or modest.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,599

kjh said:

Scott_xP said:

🚨 Labour takes a NINE pint lead in the latest @OpiniumResearch poll for @ObserverUK 🚨

CON 32
    LAB 41
    LD 9
    Green 5
    SNP 5

Nine pints! They must be all over the place
    Michael Gove says that's just preloading before you go out proper
    William Hague surely. Erm, I wouldn't like to explain my logic.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,116

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

🚨NEW POLL🚨

The latest @ObserverUK poll gives Labour the largest lead we have seen in any @OpiniumResearch poll since February 2014.

Con 32% (-4)
    Lab 41% (+3)
    Lib Dem 9% (+1)
    Green 5% (-1)

Changes on the 24 – 26 November. https://twitter.com/OpiniumResearch/status/1469759095523753986/photo/1

Very close to @HYUFD ‘s arbitrary pulled out of his ass 10% bedwetting threshold
    Just imagine how larger the Labour lead would be if Starmer hadn't slagged off Peppa Pig World.

Labour would be 30% ahead.
    I think you might just be telling porkies there, Mr Eagles.
    I'm a very devout muslim, pork never passes my lips.
    Just trying to Peppa things up with an awesome pun, Mr Eagles. I didn't intend to do you har(a)m.
    I'm more focussed on harems than harams.

I'm as devout as I am working class or modest.
    Sounds like you have a eunuch perspective on events.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,524
    Stocky said:

Given that Johnson's goose is surely cooked, what are your preferred picks (in order of preference) for replacement and hence next PM? I don't mean at the odds, I mean which would you prefer the most (or hate the least)?

I'm going: 1) Hunt, 2) Sunak, 3) Mordaunt

If I were a Tory and wanted them to win I'd agree with you.

As I'm not a Tory and want them to lose I'm going: 1) Rees-Mogg, 2) Patel, 3) Truss.
  • Options
    xxxxx5 said:

Can someone explain to me how Sir Keir wins the next election? I get Boris is in big trouble, but can anyone really see Sir Keir taking seats like Mansfield, Bassetlaw and Ashfield all Tory Leave seats with large majorities for leave. The Tories also have the boundary changes to push through. I still cannot see a Labour majority. But I could be wrong.

I can see him gaining 40 seats like Kinnock quite straightforwardly although beyond that I'm not sure, although he only arguably needs the Tories to lose about 60 seats to become PM. The Tories are also likely to lose at least 10 seats or so to the LDs even though I'm even more cautious on their prospects. Tories also likely to lose a couple more seats to the SNP.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

32% must be pretty close to the Tory floor under Boris

No, I think it can go a bit lower. Boris has pushed out a lot of normally loyal voters like myself, TSE, Philip Thompson etc... and now he's losing his new voters too. The core vote has been shat on.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
    @IshmaelZ a win is a win
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,867
    BoZo likes Churchill...

"This is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning."
  • Options

Stocky said:

Given that Johnson's goose is surely cooked, what are your preferred picks (in order of preference) for replacement and hence next PM? I don't mean at the odds, I mean which would you prefer the most (or hate the least)?

I'm going: 1) Hunt, 2) Sunak, 3) Mordaunt

If I were a Tory and wanted them to win I'd agree with you.

As I'm not a Tory and want them to lose I'm going: 1) Rees-Mogg, 2) Patel, 3) Truss.
    I'm not aTory, but no way on God's green earth do I want any of those three as PM even for a nanosecond.

There's partisanship and there's nihilism, and your post heads towards the latter.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    xxxxx5 said:

Can someone explain to me how Sir Keir wins the next election? I get Boris is in big trouble, but can anyone really see Sir Keir taking seats like Mansfield, Bassetlaw and Ashfield all Tory Leave seats with large majorities for leave. The Tories also have the boundary changes to push through. I still cannot see a Labour majority. But I could be wrong.

Targets 90, 159 and 200 ?

Starmer doesn't need any of them to become PM.
  • Options

Final train of the day. 20 mins or so. It's rammed. Am in the vestibule with 5 others. We are all masked. So there is another reason why my FFP2 mask is required

so let me get this straight - you know your wife is covid positive and you get on a rammed train? Now even I dont do that. I think you are a classic case of thinking a mask will solve everything so you can go on that train
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

IshmaelZ said:

Scott_xP said:

CON 32
    LAB 41
    LD 9
    Green 5
    SNP 5

There's a penthouse suite on the 150th floor where a bloke, let's call him Jackson, is doing coke and knobbing birds and generally being King of the World, and there's a small accountancy business on the 6th floor where a dreary balding bloke, call him Keith, is keeping up his chargeable hours. Now imagine Jackson falls off the balcony and splats on the street. Suddenly Keith is a neck breaking height above Jackson, just by virtue of where he is. Doesn't need to get in the lift, no reason to think he even knows how the lift works.
    weird
    I wasn't talking to you, and I strongly suggest you f off to a forum where your one trick oh look at me I'm a fucking anarchist shtick attracts something other than contemptuous derision.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=th4Czv1j3F8
  • Options
    What we really need is a poll of the marginals.

The ICM marginals poll in September/October 2007 really was a game changer.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,390

Scott_xP said:

Something is stirring.

This has a feeling of the election that never was in 2007

Only another 3 years of BoZo?
    Maybe not

1) The Tories are a bit more ruthless than Labour

2) There's a sleazy stench around Boris Johnson that there was never with Gordon Brown, sleaze could play a part that wasn't an issue for Brown
    Interesting to consider Brown versus Johnson - complete opposites in every respect.
    I have a piece that goes up on either on Boxing Day or the 2nd of January and I actually note the similarities between Brown and Johnson.

1) Both wanted to be PM for decades and yet when they became PM there was a lack of drift, both went through SPADS at a phenomenal rate

2) The Brexit Deal being oven ready and awesome is Johnson's we abolished boom and bust moment.
    You might want to have a think about the “lack of drift” thing.
  • Options

Final train of the day. 20 mins or so. It's rammed. Am in the vestibule with 5 others. We are all masked. So there is another reason why my FFP2 mask is required

so let me get this straight - you know your wife is covid positive and you get on a rammed train? Now even I dont do that. I think you are a classic case of thinking a mask will solve everything so you can go on that train
    He's going TO her ...
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Scott_xP said:

Something is stirring.

This has a feeling of the election that never was in 2007

Only another 3 years of BoZo?
    Maybe not

1) The Tories are a bit more ruthless than Labour

2) There's a sleazy stench around Boris Johnson that there was never with Gordon Brown, sleaze could play a part that wasn't an issue for Brown
    Interesting to consider Brown versus Johnson - complete opposites in every respect.
    I have a piece that goes up on either on Boxing Day or the 2nd of January and I actually note the similarities between Brown and Johnson.

1) Both wanted to be PM for decades and yet when they became PM there was a lack of drift, both went through SPADS at a phenomenal rate

2) The Brexit Deal being oven ready and awesome is Johnson's we abolished boom and bust moment.
    You might want to have a think about the “lack of drift” thing.
    Yeah, it is a work in progress.

I'm still distracted by AJ's and Kai's first dance in tonight's Strictly.
  • Options
    Stereodog said:

Held off commenting until now but here are my reflections as a Civil Servant on the myriad party stories. Whatever the press says about public sector staff WFH, a significant group at the centre worked long hours in the office throughout the pandemic in order to keep the lights on. I have some sympathy for the slippery line between blowing off some steam as a team and holding a full blown party. Doubtless some teams got it wrong and a swift apology would be appropriate. I'm also conflicted because it would have been quite easy for Boris to sell out his staff once the story blew up. However, the reflexive denial and the arrogant belief that even the most ridiculous statement can become true if repeated enough is hard to understand. If Boris had taken responsibility for his staff and apologised then this story could have been put to bed quickly with the appropriate lessons learnt

The lesson is dont make rules if you cannot keep them yourself or yourselves .
  • Options
    I feel a sudden urge to watch TTOI, Rise of the Nutters
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Stereodog said:

Held off commenting until now but here are my reflections as a Civil Servant on the myriad party stories. Whatever the press says about public sector staff WFH, a significant group at the centre worked long hours in the office throughout the pandemic in order to keep the lights on. I have some sympathy for the slippery line between blowing off some steam as a team and holding a full blown party. Doubtless some teams got it wrong and a swift apology would be appropriate. I'm also conflicted because it would have been quite easy for Boris to sell out his staff once the story blew up. However, the reflexive denial and the arrogant belief that even the most ridiculous statement can become true if repeated enough is hard to understand. If Boris had taken responsibility for his staff and apologised then this story could have been put to bed quickly with the appropriate lessons learnt

I would point out that teachers had longer hours and more intense pressures, and no prospect of working from home even in actual lockdown in many cases.

We didn't have Christmas parties. In fact, on the last day of term I spent an hour alone tidying the last classroom I'd taught in before going home.

Nor so far as I know did doctors or nurses, under far more intense pressure, have parties.

I am afraid that if that is the best defence the CS can come up with, they're comprehensively fucked and will be lucky if only sackings result.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Scott_xP said:

CON 32
    LAB 41
    LD 9
    Green 5
    SNP 5

weird
    I wasn't talking to you, and I strongly suggest you f off to a forum where your one trick oh look at me I'm a fucking anarchist shtick attracts something other than contemptuous derision.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=th4Czv1j3F8
    I told you I am not going to do that and again, calm down, I actually thought your weird analogy was quite creative and admired the art of it! Anyway even if you think i am an anarchist why would you not want me on here - are we all supposed to think the same .Have I walked into a groupthink environment?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Understandable. If I worked for Therese Coffey I'd be drinking into the night.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Pulpstar said:

xxxxx5 said:

Targets 90, 159 and 200 ?

Starmer doesn't need any of them to become PM.
    You've brought facts to a wishlist there Pulpstar.
  • Options
    xxxxx5xxxxx5 Posts: 38
    Are we heading then for a 1992 result or a 2010 in reverse? I still think it's going to be difficult for Labour to form the next government but not impossible.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Alas, brisk trade at the CV19 test centre this afternoon.
  • Options
    That's a reasonable question. Which of the likely frontrunners would lose their seats on these numbers and UNS?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,583
    ydoethur said:

Stereodog said:

I would point out that teachers had longer hours and more intense pressures, and no prospect of working from home even in actual lockdown in many cases.

We didn't have Christmas parties. In fact, on the last day of term I spent an hour alone tidying the last classroom I'd taught in before going home.

Nor so far as I know did doctors or nurses, under far more intense pressure, have parties.

I am afraid that if that is the best defence the CS can come up with, they're comprehensively fucked and will be lucky if only sackings result.
    Isn't it the case that the No10 parties were Boris's political staff - SPADs and the like - not civil servants, in the main?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited December 2021

The poll we need is Red Wall with Brexit Party (whatever their name is) standing and without.

There is a lot of lazy assumptions that Brexit Party was borrowed Tory votes but as we saw previously (UKIP 2015) did not equal (Tory 2017) .
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,075
    Interesting. Saint Jacinda strikes again

https://twitter.com/electionwiz/status/1469418652562866182?s=21
  • Options
    xxxxx5 said:

Are we heading then for a 1992 result or a 2010 in reverse? I still think it's going to be difficult for Labour to form the next government but not impossible.

1992 is probably the most plausible result, although the precedent is an uncomfortable one for the Tories. If ever there was a cursed victory...

But a 2010 style reverse isn't impossible. Indeed, arguably it would be the best outcome given the damage it would do the SNP. Back Labour and get no second referendum anyway - or keep the Tories in office? Not a choice they would relish.
  • Options

Stereodog said:

Firstly Civil Servants don't make the rules. Secondly I'm not saying it's right what happened I'm just saying I can see how it did.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

I feel a sudden urge to watch TTOI, Rise of the Nutters

Tbf the current series of TTOI, playing out on the news with daily eposides, is a bit far-fetched.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,299
    edited December 2021
    xxxxx5 said:

2010 in reverse.

More a case the Tories win the most seats in 2024 but they cannot function as minority government as they are too far away from 310 (where I think the Tories could function as a minority government) that a temporary rainbow coalition takes power for a while until a new election.

As David Cameron said, going into an election as PM gives you huge powers and advantages, something Starmer would have.
  • Options
    xxxxx5 said:

92 if they change leader, 2010 reverse if they don't now imo.
  • Options

@IshmaelZ a win is a win

Yeah that was meant to be my point. I have driven for 5 hours and ridden a horse for 5 hours today, and have had a drink.

Later.
  • Options
    edited December 2021

ydoethur said:

Stereodog said:

Isn't it the case that the No10 parties were Boris's political staff - SPADs and the like - not civil servants, in the main?
    Fair point, although the line has become so blurred it's hard to tell now.

But the thrust still applies. Would anyone actually notice if all these SPADs had fecked off for 18 months? I would argue not given how poor most of their advice is.

Yet if they really think they are indispensable and deserve to blow off steam when those of us working hard in dangerous conditions didn't, they're in deep shit.
  • Options

Stereodog said:

And don’t lie through your teeth over stuff you will never keep secret.
  • Options

Tbf the current series of TTOI, playing out on the news with daily eposides, is a bit far-fetched.

And I don't like any of the characters
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Stereodog said:

Yeah that's definitely true. I was thinking more of the myriad other stories that seem to be coming out about other departments.
  • Options
    One thing, regardless of who is the Tory leader at the next GE, they'll want the boundary changes through.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,226

Ratters said:

I don't see how Boris lasts until the next election. Which is a shame as he would be very easily beatable.

Isn't that the point? The remaining PB Peppa apologists bleat on about people being anto Boris as if we are doing it for partisan reasons.

The best way for Labour to remove the Tories is for Liar to stay in office. We all need rid of him because of the egregious damage his government is doing. Removing him and replacing him with someone not a tosser makes that job harder.
    Labour will put its party interest above the national interest, just like the Tories.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,793
    edited December 2021
    xxxxx5 said:

Once you start looking at the constituency by constituency situation, from the perspective of the labour party the mountain to climb is huge, almost insurmountable. All the problems that existed before (the impossibility of reconciling the interests of its metropolitan radical supporters and its traditional declining base) still exist. One of the problems is that, despite his popular appeal as a sensible and serious chap; Starmer doesn't actually have an answer to these existential problems.
  • Options

Surely the most worrying thing about Boris being forced out is that the Deputy PM is that berk Raab?

Boris is inept, but Raab makes Boris look like genius.

Lol - too true!

Nice to see you again @Beibheirli_C 👍
    Thank you. I have a quiet night tonight and popped back for a bit of a Xmas session.
    I miss your perceptive contributions, please don't stay away so long next time ;-)
  • Options
    Stereodog said:

Stereodog said:

Firstly Civil Servants don't make the rules. Secondly I'm not saying it's right what happened I'm just saying I can see how it did.
    But they are supposed to know the rules, right? AND obey them?
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,919
    edited December 2021
    xxxxx5 said:

He says that Brexit is settled, that there are now far more important matters to be addressed and that Johnson, whatever his past triumphs, is clearly not now fit to be PM.

It is the first of these that is key. If Starmer can make a believable case for not reopening Brexit then there is no reason why those sorts of seats should not turn back to him.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,075

xxxxx5 said:

Because Brexit is done and seats in the red wall want levelling up, which they were promised.
    Exactly and if it doesn’t happen there will be a price to,pay.

• Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    IshmaelZ said:

Scott_xP said:

CON 32
    LAB 41
    LD 9
    Green 5
    SNP 5

I swear I read a Martin Amis novel with exactly that plotline.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    Oh dear. Boris the loser!

The wheels have well and truly come off the trolley!
  • Options
    Alistair said:

The poll we need is Red Wall with Brexit Party (whatever their name is) standing and without.

There is a lot of lazy assumptions that Brexit Party was borrowed Tory votes but as we saw previously (UKIP 2015) did not equal (Tory 2017) .
    Hartlepool proved that it wasn't a lazy assumption.
  • Options
    xxxxx5 said:

We're heading for another two years when anything could happen. The past is of little use in predicting political futures.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    ydoethur said:

Stereodog said:

It’s not defensible, agreed - but had they fessed up, apologies been issued, disciplinaries, etc at the beginning of the year, they’d probably have got away with it.
    Determinedly pretending it didn’t happen for so long will sink this administration. It’s taking the piss twice over.
  • Options
    Stereodog said:

Stereodog said:

Being an ex civil servant myself (I know) they kinda do make the rules in reality in most cases. I personally could not give a monkeys whether they had a party (I had a few last year as well) but they cant complain about getting fired if they are caught given their central roles (I mean they are not working for the DWP in Mansfield are they?)
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,498
    edited December 2021
    IshmaelZ said:

Scott_xP said:

CON 32
    LAB 41
    LD 9
    Green 5
    SNP 5

It's a 'Cambridge change' in philosophy. In modern times attributed to Peter Geach, but actually thought up by Thomas Aquinas. Keith has done nothing but none the less has changed. All political change is relational. So there.

And we might get SKS v Hunt, snoresville, when we could have had Jess Phillips and Boris going 15 rounds.

• Options
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Stereodog said:

It’s not defensible, agreed - but had they fessed up, apologies been issued, disciplinaries, etc at the beginning of the year, they’d probably have got away with it.
    Determinedly pretending it didn’t happen for so long will sink this administration. It’s taking the piss twice over.
    Not the CS; Johnson's political staff, just saying
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited December 2021
    Scott_xP said:

BoZo likes Churchill...

"This is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning."

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. In one Age, called the Third Age by some, an Age yet to come, an Age long past, a wind rose over the River Thames. The wind was not the beginning. There are neither beginnings nor endings to the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning.
  • Options
    Two critical questions. Has Boris trashing his own brand and that of the government come too early for Labour? Is there a face-saving way of getting him out or would the Tories do better to remove him "with prejudice"?
  • Options
    Stereodog said:

The issue with that is that there were millions of people working long hours in the office or factory floor or hospital and they were not able to say, sod it lets have a few drinks because we deserve them. Yes they may have deserved them but they chose to follow the guidance and forego them. Civil Servants are no different to many millions of other essential workers who cannot work from home no matter what the risk.
  • Options

xxxxx5 said:

He says that Brexit is settled, that there are now far more important matters to be addressed and that Johnson, whatever his past triumphs, is clearly not now fit to be PM.

It is the first of these that is key. If Starmer can make a believable case for not reopening Brexit then there is no reason why those sorts of seats should not turn back to him.
    You just know though that during an election campaign, you'll get various Labour MPs shooting their mouths off about reopening Brexit and the Mail and Sun will have a field day.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Scott_xP said:

CON 32
    LAB 41
    LD 9
    Green 5
    SNP 5

I swear I read a Martin Amis novel with exactly that plotline.
    Gotta feeling I may have started to read that one.
  • Options
    edited December 2021

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Stereodog said:

It looks like it was both. That's an issue.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Stereodog said:

It looks like it was both. That's an issue.
    You have the names?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

xxxxx5 said:

You just know though that during an election campaign, you'll get various Labour MPs shooting their mouths off about reopening Brexit and the Mail and Sun will have a field day.
    So you deal with it. Every campaign has its hiccups and I would not be so sure that on current headlines Johnson will be able to rely on either the Mail or the Sun.
  • Options

Stereodog said:

The issue with that is that there were millions of people working long hours in the office or factory floor or hospital and they were not able to say, sod it lets have a few drinks because we deserve them. Yes they may have deserved them but they chose to follow the guidance and forego them. Civil Servants are no different to many millions of other essential workers who cannot work from home no matter what the risk.
    I agree but we might have to be a bit pragmatic about investigating this. Would sacking the entire senior civil service in Whitehall with immediate effect be a good idea?
  • Options

Two critical questions. Has Boris trashing his own brand and that of the government come too early for Labour? Is there a face-saving way of getting him out or would the Tories do better to remove him "with prejudice"?

His successor might think it better to remove him with prejudice :)
  • Options

Stereodog said:

Stereodog said:

But they are supposed to know the rules, right? AND obey them?
    Agreed and I think anyone who broke them should have admitted it and taken the consequences. I just have some sympathy for how narrow the line can be. For example my old boss used to do wine Thursday where she'd bring a bottle and we'd all have a paper cup full. If that team has to be in the office during the pandemic is that a party or not?
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

xxxxx5 said:

So you deal with it. Every campaign has its hiccups and I would not be so sure that on current headlines Johnson will be able to rely on either the Mail or the Sun.
    Oh he'll be gone.

Boris is done. It's just a matter of when IMO.
  • Options
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Scott_xP said:

CON 32
    LAB 41
    LD 9
    Green 5
    SNP 5

All hunky-dory, save for the fire on the fifth floor?
  • Options

Removing him tomorrow might give them time to recover.

OTOH the economic prospects for the next two years are very grim - hard to see an alternative Tory turning it around.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Stereodog said:

Same comments apply, though.
  • Options

Stereodog said:

I agree but we might have to be a bit pragmatic about investigating this. Would sacking the entire senior civil service in Whitehall with immediate effect be a good idea?
    Judging by the past two years (if not longer) I'll say 'hell yes.'
  • Options
    One thing I note, Boris' new baby barely moved the news cycle. Not that it should, it's a private matter. But these things normally do a bit more than the news did.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Nope, that was a few weeks ago.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Yes. Perhaps the end of the beginning of the end.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

That's a reasonable question. Which of the likely frontrunners would lose their seats on these numbers and UNS?

Hunt is out on an 8% swing to LD. Raab is out on any sort of swing to LDs.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

One thing I note, Boris' new baby barely moved the news cycle. Not that it should, it's a private matter. But these things normally do a bit more than the news did.

Partly the other news, partly its not news when you have....7....8.....9 kids...
  • Options
    Don't do the crime, if you're on the government dime.

For UKers - Don't do the offense, if you're taking the Queen's pence.
  • Options
    Stereodog said:

That’s the point, though, isn’t it? The party story has salience in large part as an exemplar for his faults that were always there.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

xxxxx5 said:

Oh he'll be gone.

All politicians leave at some point. Even Mao and Stalin did. EvenCastro.

So your post is literally true and yet not especially precise.

I personally still think it hinges on Oswestry. If he loses an unnecessary by-election in a safe seat held for 115 years...
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    darkage said:

xxxxx5 said:

Once you start looking at the constituency by constituency situation, from the perspective of the labour party the mountain to climb is huge, almost insurmountable. All the problems that existed before (the impossibility of reconciling the interests of its metropolitan radical supporters and its traditional declining base) still exist. One of the problems is that, despite his popular appeal as a sensible and serious chap; Starmer doesn't actually have an answer to these existential problems.
    The changes to the Shadow Cabinet are partly an answer to that. Don't underestimate them. It's not particularly 'woke', for one thing (I don't think you like wokeness). But more importantly, it's full of people who are not 'metropolitan radical supporters', but northern MPs.

Reeves, Philipson, Rayner, Cooper, Nandy, Miliband, Powell, for example. They are all in a position, both geographically and politically, to appeal to the traditional Labour base as well as its urban supporters.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415

Scott_xP said:

🚨NEW POLL🚨

Con 32% (-4)
    Lab 41% (+3)
    Lib Dem 9% (+1)
    Green 5% (-1)

I read it as obituary 🤭
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

xxxxx5 said:

Oh he'll be gone.

In Titanic terms, it's already hit the iceberg. It'll sail on for a bit, the orchestra will play, they might rearrange the deckchairs a couple of times. But it's made of iron, and it will sink.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited December 2021
    MaxPB said:

32% must be pretty close to the Tory floor under Boris

No, I think it can go a bit lower. Boris has pushed out a lot of normally loyal voters like myself, TSE, Philip Thompson etc... and now he's losing his new voters too. The core vote has been shat on.
    HYUFD loves to exult in being the Only Tory in the Village and his purity in voting Tory even when Blair was PM.

Well if the next election the Tories get the vote of HYUFD but not any of the votes of you, TSE and myself or Big G, Casino, Robert, Richard and many more too it seems then if that happens the Tories will clearly be losing office.

You don't get to spit at your supporters and tell them it's raining.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

More reason for cautious optimism

"Quick update on Covid hospitalizations/deaths in South Africa.

"Last week's admissions are ~3,700. This week's are already over 4,200 and will be revised up to over 6,000, at least.

"Deaths last week stand at 104, almost double previous week, and this week has seen 140 so far."

https://twitter.com/BarclayBenedict/status/1469724928199073802?s=20

Which sounds bad, but...

"The number of deaths will be revised up, particularly for the current week, so will probably double again to 200-250. For now, these are still very low levels compared with previous waves, but not negligible by any means."

VERY LOW LEVELS

Your not suggesting that the UK modellers 75k deaths in next 4 months might prove to be way out?
    On past form 7.5 deaths would be closer.

(The .5 being another SeanT identity biting the dust...)
    My model is proving perfectly accurate so far.
    Is it HO gauge? That's more accurate than OO gauge :lol:
    That's furrin, will upset too many people here.

Protofour is really what the discerning rivet counter wants for GB (Ireland does not count, different gauge AIUI, but it's been written off Brexit wise anyway).
    HO is accurate for body-shell and track gauge (both 1:87), but stupid OO gauge has 1:76 body-shell gauge with 1:87 track gauge.
  • Options

Don't do the crime, if you're on the government dime.

For UKers - Don't do the offense, if you're taking the Queen's pence.

For lazy bastards - Don't do the washing up if you want it to pile up
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

xxxxx5 said:

Oh he'll be gone.

In Titanic terms, it's already hit the iceberg. It'll sail on for a bit, the orchestra will play, they might rearrange the deckchairs a couple of times. But it's made of iron, and it will sink.
    PB pedantry: steel.
  • Options
    xxxxx5xxxxx5 Posts: 38

xxxxx5 said:

We're heading for another two years when anything could happen. The past is of little use in predicting political futures.
    Surely the swing required to put Labour into office is too big? I remember the years between 1992 and 1997 where ever you went from Milton Keynes to Bristol to Birmingham people were fed up with the Tories and were enthusiastic for Tony Blair. Seeing though we have had almost a Civil War between remain and Brexit - I just cannot see (again I maybe wrong) the voter in Hartlepool, Ashfield or Blyth coming out to vote for the same side as a Sir Keir, Alistair Campbell or Anna Soubry - I'd be surprised if Soubry like Bercow doesn't voice her support for a Sir Keir lead government. Those ex Labour voters in former industrial towns are not going to vote for a party committed to either free movement or making it safer for Asylum seekers to cross the channel. I get the government is becoming unpopular but I just don't see the unity across the country (yet) that I seen in 1997 and 2010.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,804
    Be interesting to see if there's any new One Rule for Us material in the Sundays...
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Scott_xP said:

Hunt is out on an 8% swing to LD. Raab is out on any sort of swing to LDs.
    And Raab has his own issues of serial incompetence.
    Majority under 3000….

Hunt will probably be OK.
  • Options

darkage said:

xxxxx5 said:

The changes to the Shadow Cabinet are partly an answer to that. Don't underestimate them. It's not particularly 'woke', for one thing (I don't think you like wokeness). But more importantly, it's full of people who are not 'metropolitan radical supporters', but northern MPs.

Reeves, Philipson, Rayner, Cooper, Nandy, Miliband, Powell, for example. They are all in a position, both geographically and politically, to appeal to the traditional Labour base as well as its urban supporters.
    IMHO the situation is as before with regard to Labour winning outright (326 seats). They can't. But they have a nearly 50% chance of leading the next government.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

I think that's just the law of diminishing returns .A law not even he can break
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Scott_xP said:

CON 32
    LAB 41
    LD 9
    Green 5
    SNP 5

All hunky-dory, save for the fire on the fifth floor?
    Doesn't matter. Height above ground level is the metric, as far as GE 2022/3/4 is concerned
  • Options

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

More reason for cautious optimism

"Quick update on Covid hospitalizations/deaths in South Africa.

"Last week's admissions are ~3,700. This week's are already over 4,200 and will be revised up to over 6,000, at least.

"Deaths last week stand at 104, almost double previous week, and this week has seen 140 so far."

https://twitter.com/BarclayBenedict/status/1469724928199073802?s=20

Which sounds bad, but...

"The number of deaths will be revised up, particularly for the current week, so will probably double again to 200-250. For now, these are still very low levels compared with previous waves, but not negligible by any means."

VERY LOW LEVELS

Your not suggesting that the UK modellers 75k deaths in next 4 months might prove to be way out?
    On past form 7.5 deaths would be closer.

(The .5 being another SeanT identity biting the dust...)
    My model is proving perfectly accurate so far.
    Is it HO gauge? That's more accurate than OO gauge :lol:
    That's furrin, will upset too many people here.

Protofour is really what the discerning rivet counter wants for GB (Ireland does not count, different gauge AIUI, but it's been written off Brexit wise anyway).
    HO is accurate for body-shell and track gauge (both 1:87), but stupid OO gauge has 1:76 body-shell gauge with 1:87 track gauge.
    Exactly, which is the point of Protofour which is true 1:76.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

xxxxx5 said:

Oh he'll be gone.

All politicians leave at some point. Even Mao and Stalin did. EvenCastro.

So your post is literally true and yet not especially precise.

I personally still think it hinges on Oswestry. If he loses an unnecessary by-election in a safe seat held for 115 years...
    Nah, I exepct the Tories will probably hang on in N Shropshire (split LD/Lab vote) but @OnlyLivingBoy's analogy upthread is apt. Johnson has made a Titanic mess of being PM and the iceberg has already struck. Just a matter of time.
  • Options

Surely the most worrying thing about Boris being forced out is that the Deputy PM is that berk Raab?

Boris is inept, but Raab makes Boris look like genius.

Lol - too true!

Nice to see you again @Beibheirli_C 👍
    Thank you. I have a quiet night tonight and popped back for a bit of a Xmas session.
    I miss your perceptive contributions, please don't stay away so long next time ;-)
    I had a lot to do and I just had no time to spare. I have not really finished so this may be a fleeting visit depending on what happens over the next few days and weeks. We will see...

Having done a bit of reading upthread, it seems that not much has changed around here.
  • Options
    PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083

On balance Starmer has probably done better as a result of casting Corbyn into the outer darkness than he would have done by pursuing party unity. Similarly Johnson’s successor might decide that complete repudiation of the Borisonian Nightmare is the best chance of having an excuse for the state of the country going into the next election (“yes we know it’s a disaster, but we are fixing the damage done by a rogue actor who is nothing to do with our party”).
This discussion has been closed.